Author's Chapter Notes:
just some remembering going on.
2 ½ years ago…

We had just rescued six ‘patients’ from one of the Genishion bases, Rogue and I were heading back to the jet after making one finale run through of the base that held the victims of their horrible experimentation. We were almost at the jet when gun fire had started to rain on us. It had been a year since the ‘Carol’ incident so I didn’t even think about looking back to make sure she was okay until it was to late…

Cyclops had already started the jet and it was hovering (thanks in part to Jean) over the landing area. They were yelling at us to hurry up because we wouldn’t be able to hold our position for much longer and with the surge of military person’s rapidly gaining on us I just hoisted my self into the open side of the jet. That’s when I realized Rogue hadn’t flown in behind me. I turned to see her fighting off as many of the armed men as she could possible. I started to jump back down the lift to help her out; until I heard our intercoms crackle to life with Rogue’s voice.

“There’s too many! Go now why ya’ll still have a chance! Just leave now!” I remember her screaming on to the line before it went dead. I was still going to move out but the lift closed and I knew I couldn’t shred it open or we would all get captured.

“Wolverine, it was her choice to stay behind so we could all live,” Cyclops told me as he and Storm flew the jet out of dangerous air towards home with the six saved victims. I remember falling to my knees in front of the lift, arms laying limply by my side staring at the black lift as if by magic she would eventually be banging on the other side trying to let us, let her back in. I stayed like that all the way home until Jean had to telepathically move me into my room…

6 months earlier…

We searched continuously for her, but in two and a half years there was no sign of her. We were doing a routine rescue and raid of a small base on the out skirts of Canada. There were reports of mutant experimentation at the particular base and with a little digging and watching, it was soon found to be sadly true.

We were to rescue all four of the mutants in the facility and any documents that could help us in locating anyone else, particularly Rogue. That was usually Storm and Jeans job while Cyclops and I released the prisoners. The base was easy to enter, unlike some of the pervious ones we had encountered over the years. We split up into our teams as usual and proceeded in doing our usual search and rescue procedure. Scott and I made it to the lower levels and noticed that a few guards and some scientist lingered below, apparently oblivious to the small invasion above.

The guards were easy targets; we took them out with out even making a mess and sounding any alarms. I guess it was because we were getting a little to good at taking trained guards out, but who knows.

After taking the few guards out, we easily made our way towards the cells that held the experimented mutants. There were three down in the cells, and I helped Cyclops take the three to the surface and leave them with Beast in the jet. After we left them in the company of Beast we went back down in search of the fourth mutant. Since the cells were empty we decided to search the labs. At first I didn’t think I would be able to go into them until I heard the ever so familiar scream of the only person I had ever really cared about. Cyclops grabbed my arm as I was about to rush the room she was apparently be held in.
I turned to look at him and he just shook his head at me.

“We don’t want them to hurt her, we have to go in and take them out quietly,” Cyclops told me as we entered the room as one of the techs came out. Cyclops had covered the lab techs mouth as I slowly let my claws slide into him and watched with a smile on my face as his eyes screamed at me in horror as they glazed over, turning a pale grey. Cyclops just shook his head at me again but didn’t say anything, I think he understood why I did it.

We crept in silently hiding in the shadows of the not so well lit room. I could hear her scream again and beg them to stop hurting her and to just get it over with and kill her. Cyclops stayed by the door to make sure no one else entered or left before I was finished with my small massacre.

“Now, now my dear, this will only heart a little,” a pale looking man said as he leaned over the patient’s body laid out on the slab like a piece of newly cut meat. I growled in anger and could no longer hold in my rage as I brutally cut, sliced and hacked my way through the lab techs and scientist. When finally all that was left was Cyclops by the door staring at it like his life depended on it and the frail woman strapped down on the cold, metal operating table. She wore a blinking metal like collar and thin scraps of cloth over her thin looking form. She had what looked like thin scars running up and down her body, her left arm laid open for all to see, flesh pulled back revealing pink and red tendons and muscles and what looked like some silver.

Tears started to run down my face as I looked from the woman’s worn and broken body to her face. I will never forget that face, her once beautiful features where now laced with unknown scars and pains we will never know. Her white streaks in her hair were caked with unknown substances, blood and dirt where the only two I could recognize and smell.

“Rogue…” I squeaked out as I looked down at her almost afraid to touch her from fear she would break.

“I know what your doing and it won’t work! I know you’re not real and you can’t make me believe it’s you either so you just might as well give up! This isn’t going to work,” Rogue almost laughed out at me with anger in her eyes.

“Rogue, it really is me, I swear…” I tried to convince her, desperation leaking from every pore of my being.

“If your Wolverine then tell me oh wise one, what’s my real name?” She asked me truly believing I wasn’t real.

“Marie, of course,” and then I saw her smile, that brilliant smile of hers and all I could do was not take my blood and gore soaked claws and slice away the bindings that held her down.

I lightly picked her up, thanking god my body was covered, and tucked her close to my body as I carefully walked through the slaughtered bodies that littered the ground. Cyclops opened the door and then led the way back to the jet. Everyone else had already gathered at the jet and was ready for take off when Cyclops and I entered the jet.

“For a minute there guys we didn’t think…” Storm stopped in mid sentence as she realized who I was caring. Her hands immediately went to her mouth stopping the gasp that escaped her mouth. With eyes wide, she tentatively reached out but stopped short.

I pushed passed her shocked form as I made my way over to Beast who was tentatively taking care of the other three patients.

“Hank, I think she needs more attention right now,” I said quietly as I laid her on one of the cots.

“Oh my Rogue,” he turned from the body laid before and quickly started getting things ready to fix the open wound on Rogue’s arm. I stood up to leave so Beast could do his work.

“Logan, stay please. I…I don’t want to be alone,” I sat back down and held her uninjured hand, her eyes bore into mine as Hank started his work on her arm.
“Your never alone kid,” I told her reassuringly as I swept the fallen hair out of her eyes. She would never be alone, never again.