Chapter 13
“Love him and let him love you. Do you think anything else under heaven really matters?” – James A. Baldwin

The mansion was brimming with life by the time Rogue had slipped from her bedroom. Students were heading to the first class of the day, with occasional staff members ushering the stragglers along. Rogue moved as quickly as her body would permit; avoiding the curious looks as she slipped by, trying to be as unnoticeable as possible. It wasn’t easy when you were the hot gossip being speculated around the mansion. Needless to say, it was no surprise when Rogue heard the excited call of her name being trilled, and the arrival of Kitty and Jubilee barging into her path before she could scurry away.

“Hey!” said Jubilee excitedly, looking positively thrilled to see Rogue out on the corridor. “Are you feelin’ better, girl? You know, first class is Summers’ English Lit, he’ll do his nut if you’re late on your first day back!”

Rogue forced on a smile, shaking her head, “I’m sorry guys, I’m not comin’ back to class just yet.”

“Oh? Where’re you sneaking off to then?” asked Kitty. Her and Jubilee exchanged grins.

“Well, I’m goin’ out if you must know. Logan’s drivin’ me into town to, er, get some stuff. He’s waitin’ for me in the garage.”

This was probably the wrong thing to say, for Kitty and Jubilee shared the same excited, manic glint in their eyes. “Logan’s your chauffeur?” asked Jubilee enthusiastically. “Wow, girl. You got him tightly round that lil’ finger, huh?”

Rogue gave an uneasy laugh, “He offered. I didn’t force him into anythin’..”

“Sure you didn’t,” said Kitty appraisingly. “Make the most of it though. It’s not every day Logan’s willing to help someone out.”

“Well, this is Rogue we’re talking about,” Jubilee then commented. “He’d do anything for his Rogue.”

Jubilee and Kitty shared knowing smiles that made Rogue feel uncomfortable all of a sudden. “What do you mean?” asked Rogue as nonchalantly as she could.

“Well, Logan can’t do enough for you, can he?”

“Yeah, you mean a lot to him, chica.”

Rogue glanced between them, then asking uncertainly, “What are you implyin’..?”

“Absolutely nothing!” replied Jubilee quickly, but that smile hadn’t left her face. “We’d better let you hurry on before you’re late for your date – I mean, outing!” Herself and Kitty shared amused giggles whilst Rogue watched them in a bemused manner.

“Right, so we’re back onto the whole ‘Logan episode’, are we?” Rogue asked, but had a small grin on her face.

But Kitty waved a hand dismissively, “No, no.”

“It’s more than an episode,” Jubilee added, the girls then nodding their heads. “Oh, c’mon, Rogue. You’ve been cooped up in your room too long! You’ve forgotten our lil’ speculations!”

“About Logan?” replied Rogue offhandedly.

“She’s been in that room with Logan for a few months,” Kitty muttered to Jubilee, then looking back to Rogue. “We heard that he’s been sleepin’ in there with you.”

Rogue’s eyes widened a little and she reluctantly felt her cheeks burn. “Well, he’s been takin’ care of me, y’know..”

Jubilee and Kitty eagerly nudged each other as though this had been something they had known about all along. “We know,” Jubilee replied ominously, her smile beaming. “Well, you run along now and have fun with Logan. We, on the other hand, have a date with Mr. Summers.”

“Yay for you,” Rogue murmured with an impish little grin.

“I’d rather be goin’ on a shoppin’ spree with Logan,” sighed Jubilee.

Kitty raised an eyebrow at Jubilee, “Would you?” she asked, the pair then falling into abundant laughter at something Rogue didn’t recognise. “We’d better go before Summers puts us in detention. See you later, Rogue!”

“Uh huh, hope you feel better soon!” chimed Jubilee before the pair turned and hurried off down the corridor. Rogue smiled to herself as she watched her friends depart, realising she had really missed their company during the time spent in her room. Of course, she had Logan, but sometimes nothing could beat a good girly gossip session.

But indeed, Rogue was pushing for time, aware Logan had probably been stood in the garage for over twenty minutes. She hurried on down the corridor, continuing her path until she reached the mansion entrance to the garage, peering inside before she made her way in. As expected, Logan was stood by his choice of vehicle, leaning on the side of the bonnet with his thick arms folded across his chest. Rogue walked on towards him, her entrance quickly noticed as Logan turned his eyes upon her. “How many outfits did you try on?” he joked casually as he straightened from the car bonnet.

“Just the one,” assured Rogue. “I bumped into Jubilee and Kitty, they were on their way to class. Just had a small chat with them, that’s all.”

Logan opened the car door for Rogue, “They didn’t give you any difficult questions, did they?”

Pausing in front of Logan, Rogue gave a small smirk, “They seemed more interested in you.”

“Me?” asked Logan, instantly raising a suspicious eyebrow.

Rogue continued to smirk as she looked towards him. “Yes. They seemed quite interested about the fact you’ve been sleepin’ in my room. Good job I didn’t tell them you’ve been sharin’ my bed too.”

“Why, wouldn’t they like that?” Logan asked as he leaned in to kiss the corner of her lips affectionately.

“Oh, no, they’d absolutely love it, I assure you.” Logan breathed out a quiet chuckle against her cheek before he tried to steal a gentle kiss from her lips. Rogue responded for only a few moments before she pulled back. “No, not here. Someone might see.”

Pulling back, Logan appeared bemused, “Someone might see? The last time I looked we weren’t actually doing anythin’ wrong.”

“We don’t want any difficult questions, remember?” said Rogue with a smile, lowering into the car and pulling the door shut. Logan shrugged his shoulders in response, sauntering around the front of the car until he reached the driver’s door and let himself in.

“Back to my ‘broodin’ spot’, is it?” he asked as he started the engine. Fastening her seatbelt, Rogue gave a nod of confirmation and the car roared out of the garage and off down the meandering driveway.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Having left the mansion before the midday, the surrounding countryside was bathed in an entirely different light to their last visit. Crisp, clear sunlight spread over the valley, a few soft clouds floating over the horizon. The pair exited the car as it stopped by the roadside, once again before the wooden stile that led them to the lush field. Taking Rogue’s hand, Logan carefully eased her over the fence, together stepping through the grass before lowering to sit in their previous places.

“So what is it you’re here to think about this time?” asked Rogue with a faint smile as she watched him.

Logan turned his head towards her, considering her words. “I’d rather not think,” he replied softly. “I know what my mind will dwell on, and I don’t want it to.”

“That’s alright,” said Rogue quietly with a small nod, “You don’t have to think.”

There was a moment’s silence between them as Logan sat watching her, eyes studying the smooth, pale contours of her face. The gentle breeze tantalised with her brunette locks, ivory streaks dancing across her eyes in an enticing manner. It beckoned for him to reach out and slowly catch the hair in his hand, fingers sliding down her temple and behind her ear to tuck the strands free from her face. “God, I wish things were different,” he said in a soft murmur, his hand slipping down to rest against her face. Overnight, his predicament had grown, his emotions doubled. If he didn’t want Rogue to die before, it was nothing compared to how he felt now, since he had held her and kissed her. He wanted her more than ever, and it tore his heart out to know that their time together would be fleeting. Logan felt his chest twinge in heartbreak when he saw her eyes well with unmistakable tears, and immediately cursed himself for saying his thoughts. She didn’t need his worries on top of hers.

“Me too,” she managed to utter in response, her voice broken with tears. Her eyes slowly closed as tears trickled from under her eyelids. Logan knew that now it would be even harder for both of them to accept the oncoming fate. It made him want to turn away and try to ease himself out of the affection before it was brutally torn from him. But he couldn’t, he was transfixed.

“Don’t cry,” he whispered, aware of how utterly pathetic that must have sounded. But he couldn’t bear to see her tears fall. “Don’t cry..” he said again, quieter this time, his thumb extending to wipe the droplets from her closest cheek.

She gave a great inhale of breath, her eyes slowly opening, “I’m sorry,” she mumbled, “But if anythin’, surely this tells us to enjoy what time we have left together. I know you’ll regret it if you don’t, Logan.”

“I don’t think I can, Marie,” he replied quietly. “The knowledge I’m goin’ to lose you as soon as I have got you is too much..”

“You can,” came the soft cry as Rogue stared at him. “You can if you love me, Logan!”

“That’s the same reason why I can’t,” Logan said as he slowly stroked his thumb against the soft skin of her cheek.

Rogue shook her head slowly, tears rolling down her cheeks, “No,” she murmured weakly, “Your head is sayin’ one thing, but I know your heart is saying the other.” She leant forward, slowly bringing her arms around his shoulders as she gazed up into his face, “Do you love me, Logan?”

There was silence as Logan slipped his hand to her face, brushing his knuckles down her cheek tenderly. “Since the day I met you.”

There was a bittersweet smile on Rogue’s face as she blinked the tears from her eyes, “Then love me, Logan. It’s not that hard.”

Logan’s eyes carefully studied her face before he gave a faint smile, leaning forward to slowly push his lips against hers and savour the painless touch they could share. He felt her push against him eagerly once their lips met, her body soon straddling his lap like it had in the early hours of that morning. It was less driven this time, uncontrolled lust pushed aside to share what they both really wanted. Actions were loving and careful, every touch expressing adoration. But it was only so long before both of them were buckling under the heavy desire and what had started as a tender kiss was turning passionate and ravenous.

He felt her hands trail the path they had traced hours before, his shirt being torn over his shoulders and off of his arms. Vest soon followed, their kiss being broken as the clothing was ripped over his head and thrown aside. Rogue pulled back to stare at him, lust-filled eyes darkly boring into his in challenge, for his hands were yet to leave her hips.

Goading, Rogue’s hands deftly unfastened the buttons of her blouse, purposely driving his eyes downward. She saw him hesitate, a flicker of uncertainty in his gaze. A cautiousness she wanted him to be rid of. She almost saw him finch when she pulled her blouse open, gaze slowly travelling up her torso before returning to her face. Here, Rogue spread a most alluring smile, casually shrugging the material from her shoulders and off of her arms. She was caught by surprise when Logan pushed his lips up against hers; forcing such a fiery kiss that Rogue knew her provoking had been successful.

His hands carefully grasping her shoulders, he lowered her down onto her back in the long stems of grass, their torsos disappearing amongst the tall, lush pasture. Steadying himself over her, he delicately lifted a hand to free the hair from her flushed face. “Don’t just stay quiet if somethin’s wrong,” he murmured quietly. “I want you to let me know.”

There was an undeniable smirk that split across Rogue’s lips, pure mischievousness on her face as she replied, “I assure you I won’t stay quiet.”

Logan’s eyebrows rose as he watched her, his surprise ebbing away as he matched her smile. “You’re terrible, d’you know that?”

But Rogue merely shrugged her shoulders in a coy fashion, lifting her head to bring her lips only millimetres from his. “Yeah, but you love me for it,” came her response. Logan closed the distance between their lips, a hand tracing the slim column of her throat exploringly. Lips met firmly once more, full of promises to live their lives for this moment, despite what their approaching future held.