Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Gamma for helping me through this. Enjoy!

Summary:Still she felt something; she wasn’t sure what and in that split-second before she turned and carried on up the steps to save her mother, she wasn’t sure she ever would know what she had felt.
He smirked at her. “I don’t think you can do it, can you, baby?”

She stopped shaking, hate, anger and revulsion filling her entire being. She looked him up and down; this piece of shit had given her life.

“You’re right. I can’t.”

She had thought of something better than killing him. She turned the gun towards Logan. Logan’s eyes briefly widened at he saw her point the gun at his head. She aimed and fired. The bullet made a loud metallic clunk as it blasted through the padlock holding Logan’s suppression collar on. He reached up and pulled what was left of it off.

Standing slowly, he kept his eyes on Ethan. His wounds began to heal instantly, the skin on his face knitting slowly back together and returning to its natural tan, the yellow and purple bruises disappearing. He stretched his back, cracked his neck and rolled his shoulders. Lastly, he let his claws out and then back in again with a loud growl.

He looked at Becky, and she threw the gun to him; he caught it easily and pointed it directly at Ethan. Turning back to him slowly, her voice was cold and bitter, and her face showed nothing but vengeful hatred. “I’m gonna let him do it!”

Ethan instantly paled, and he opened his mouth to speak but shut it again.

“Go get your mother.” Logan never took his eyes off of Ethan as he spoke to her.

She ran past Logan and headed for the spiral stairs that lead up to the torch. As she took the first two steps, she stopped, briefly looking back towards the room. She knew Logan was going kill him. She wasn’t naïve enough to think that he wouldn’t.

He had hurt her mother and humiliated her as well. Not to mention the damage he had caused her and Logan. She knew he probably deserved what he got and, judging how Logan wasn’t known for his restraint, if he shot Ethan, he would get off lightly.

She heard Logan’s gunfire and a splattering sound which she assumed was the contents of Ethan’s head and fragments of his skull hitting the glass wall. Still she felt something; she wasn’t sure what and in that split-second before she turned and carried on up the steps to save her mother, she wasn’t sure she ever would know what she had felt.

It was easier to list the things she did know. Ethan had ruined a lot of peoples lives, people she cared about, people she loved. Logan was her father. He raised her; he loved her. She would never regret not knowing Ethan; the brief time she had spent in his company was enough to know he wasn’t worth it.

Climbing up the last few steps, she could hear her father racing up behind her. She was out of breath. She had read somewhere that there were 354 steps, and she had taken all of them at a run. She stopped to catch her breath briefly, then made her way into the upper torch section.

Marie was on the floor unconscious, her hands tied behind her back. Becky ran and knelt down beside her. “MUM! Mum? Wake up!” She undid her hands as she was trying to wake her up.

Once her hands were free, she rolled Marie onto her back and took off her glove, ready to take her pulse. Marie’s mutation caught Becky instantly, knocking the wind out of her and making her stumble backwards onto her backside.

Logan came in just as Becky stumbled. He caught her easily. “You ok?”

“Her, er, mutation…it’s on. Shit, that…really...” Becky was in awe. She had never seen her mother’s mutation at work or been a victim of it. She had heard her parents and other member of the X-Men talk about it. They had even suggested that it was more powerful than Logan’s; now she knew why.

“Yeah, I know.” He leaned her up against the metal wall and went to Marie. “Darlin’? Marie? Come on!” She was obviously heavily drugged and Logan figured that Ethan must have just drugged her and left her to die on her own. He turned back to Becky.

“You ok?” She nodded. “Ok, I’m gonna touch her, so I need you to go get Scott and ‘Ro.” He couldn’t hear anymore commotion from down below, so that meant that either ‘RO and Scott were dead, which he seriously doubted, or that they had the area secure. He voted for the latter.

“Are you sure it’s ok? Scott told me what happened the last time you touched her. She nearly killed you.”

He cupped her face with his hands and smiled. “I’ll live; I always do. Go get the others.” She nodded again and headed back down the stairs.

Logan watched her go and then picked up Marie, took her outside the metal room where he had stabbed himself to get to her all those years ago, and sat down. He carefully arranged her in his lap and then cupped her face the same way he had done to Becky.

“I love you.” He kissed her, his warm lips pressing to hers as her mutation kicked in and started to suck him dry, his life giving way to hers. He had always wondered why he was given this gift, and at a moment like this, he knew why. It was so that the world would always have her. He figured that it needed her more than him.

Marie began to regain consciousness slowly. She was being kissed, warm soft kisses. Logan was telling her he loved her. She kissed him back and slowly wound her hands into his hair. He opened his mouth, and their tongues laced in together. Warmth flooded her; she could hear his voice, smell him and feel every inch of his body as the fog in her mind slowly cleared.

Briefly she wondered how he could kiss her and tell her he loved her at the same time. Then it hit her: her mutation. She turned off her switch and broke away from him at the same moment.

He smirked at her groggily, then giggled like he had drunk his own weight in Scotch. His healing was kicking back in as he grabbed her bottom and pulled her flush against him.

“Hey, darlin’.” His trademark eyebrow went up as she wiggled into his lap.

“Hey, cowboy.”

He kissed her again. “Mmmm. You taste good.”

She broke away and shivered at the light breeze. She sat up and looked around her. When her gaze caught the top of Lady Liberty’s crown, her eyes went as wide as saucers.

“WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE DOING ON THE STATUE OF FRIGGIN’ LIBERTY?”

He chuckled again. “Coming full circle, darlin’. I love you.”

“I love you too, but seriously why are we mmmpphh!” He kissed her roughly and used his thumb to lower her jaw to open her mouth.

Finally he broke the heated kiss and let her breathe. “Be kinda cool to have sex up here, doncha think?”

“No, Logan, I don’t.” She laughed as he kissed her again, his hands running warmly over her body as if he was unconsciously checking every inch of her. He just couldn’t keep his hands off of her.

“Ugh…for God’s sake, get a room!” They broke apart and were confronted with their daughter watching them with her arms crossed in front of her chest, just like Logan. Behind her was a dishevelled-looking Scott and a laughing ‘Ro.

After arriving back at the mansion Hank had declared both Marie and Becky in perfect health and left them to talk while he saw to the others. They were sitting side by side on an exam table while Hank ran a few tests on Logan. ‘Ro was carefully tending to Scott; he had a few bruises and a gash on his upper arm.

Marie took Becky’s hand in hers and squeezed it. “Are you ok?”

“Yeah, mum, I’m fine, really.”

“I never expected to have to tell you any of that. It was a very bad part of my life that I chose to forget about. I’m sorry. I love you, and no matter what happened, whatever the situation was, I always wanted you. I need you to know that.” She smiled.

Becky let a couple of tears slip down her face and smiled back weakly. She then shot a quick look at Logan across the room. “Sorry, it’s was a shock, you know knowing he’s not, you know. You’re both so important to me.”

“He’s still your father. That will never change.”

Her tears kept falling. “I don’t smell like him though, do I? I don’t carry a part of him like James does. I don’t even get to look like him. I guess I just feel like a reminder.”

“You’re not a reminder. You’re our little girl, and you always will be. You’ve been around him enough to pick up more than your fair share of his scent. You have more of his mannerisms than I do, and I have the big lug in my head.”

Becky laughed a little. “I can swear kinda well, can’t I?”

“He adores you, and he always has. That won’t change just because you know about…about *Ethan*. Logan will always be your dad, no matter what. Ethan was my mistake, and I should have been more in control of myself back then, but I was scared, of everything.”

“I know. Dad told me all of it.”

Marie rubbed her hands over her face. “I wish he didn’t have to.”

Becky giggled, and then she couldn’t stop. “So do I. You know dad; he’s not known for his tact!” She carried on laughing, and Marie joined in.

“No, he’s not, is he? Bless him. Did he handle it really badly?”

Becky laughed even more. “Yeah, really really badly!”

They giggled a little more, and then Marie sobered up. “What about James?”

“He thinks you had an affair.” Marie nodded. “But, I think you should tell him the truth. This whole thing has proved that everything comes out in the end. It would be better to tell him the truth.”

Marie stroked a hand down her daughter’s cheek. “How did you get so smart, huh? We’ll talk to him in the morning. You’ve grown up so quick, Becky, and I’m sorry that this happened. I really am.”

“I know. Don’t be. It’s all over.” Both women smiled, and their smiles brightened as Logan approached them. Marie hopped off the exam table, kissed Logan quickly on the cheek and went to talk to Hank and ‘Ro, who were currently fussing over Scott’s arm.

“Hey, kid.”

“Hey.” She felt five again; she always did when he was around. She always felt like she wanted to forget about everything, snuggle into his chest and stay there, safe. That’s how he made her feel, safe.

He looked at his feet and shuffled nervously. Then he slowly lifted his head to look at her eyes. “We ok?”

She quickly hopped off the exam table and jumped into his arms. He wound them around her and pulled her tightly against him, his nose in her hair. She whispered in his ear. “Always, daddy.” His grip increased, and he smiled into her silky locks.

He felt her sob into his chest gently, and he let her do it, grateful he had full control of his own emotions. When she pulled back, she wiped her face and took a big sigh, relief evident in her scent and body language. He smiled at her and ruffled her hair. “It’s late. Go to bed.” She moved past him, and he caught her arm and stopped her. “Happy Birthday, darlin’.”

She kissed him on the cheek and went to her mother. She kissed her and said goodnight. Scott and ‘Ro walked out of the lab with her towards the showers.

Logan watched Becky go with the others, and when he heard the lift go up, he grabbed Marie with a loud growl and slung her over his shoulder, ignoring her screaming protests. “You need a shower!”

Hank watched the pair fly out of the med lab with slight annoyance. He called after them, “Really, Logan, I don’t think that now is an appropriate time for, for, oh, I may as well talk to myself!” He walked back into the lab to tidy up.

Logan raced to their room and practically threw her on the bed. She was about to protest when he silenced her with a frenzied kiss. He nipped and licked at her lips, whispering incoherent ramblings into her mouth. The only word she could make out was “Mine!”

Logan picked her up, and something crashed as he slammed her back into the wall by the bathroom door. They were tearing at each other’s clothes. What he couldn’t get off with his hands, he sliced with a single claw.

She had his jacket off and his trousers round his hips, and he had her in her bra and panties. She moved away from the wall and stumbled her way towards the bathroom as he growled and nipped at her neck. He undid her bra, and she briefly let go of him to take it off and throw it over her head, smiling all the time.

He kissed her again as he stood them still so he could kick off his boots, socks and trousers. He was naked, and she could feel his erection pressed between them. He grabbed her bottom and slid his cock against the silky fabric of her panties.

Once in the bathroom, Marie harshly raked her nails down his chest. She did it as hard as she could, breaking the skin. He tipped his head back and then growled as he slammed her against the shower wall. As he kissed her again, biting her lip and splitting it, she groped around to the side of her and turned the water on.

She gasped and smiled into his lips when he took a handful of her panties and ripped them off in one fluid motion. The next thing she knew he had lifted her up and thrust into her. All she could do was hold onto him, and he thrust wildly and growled loudly against her lips, whispering her name and calling her his.

‘Ro, Scott and Becky were walking back to their room. Scott was still rubbing his hair with the towel round his neck. ‘Ro said good night to both of them and went inside her room. Scott’s room was next door to Becky and Rachael’s so he carried on walking with her.

“So you thought about a codename yet? You could always go for ‘Rimmer’.” He laughed at his own joke, but it was soon apparent that Becky had no idea what he was talking about. “Never mind.”

She smiled at him; the truth was she had been thinking about it. “Yeah, James gave me the idea. He said I was a walking holographic machine, so how about ‘Hollow’?”

He nodded. “Sounds good.” Scott was about to say something else to Becky, but the loud, unmistakable shout of Marie stopped him.

“OH GAWD, LOOOOGAN!” It was followed by a loud howl.

Scott smiled and then put his hand over his mouth to stop the laugh that threatened to escape.

Becky sighed and gestured towards her parent’s door. “Great, as if I’m not scarred for life enough!” She shuddered and made a face. “Eww!”

Scott did laugh then. “Night, Rebecca.” He walked into his room still chuckling to himself.

She walked into her own room and saw her friend asleep in her bed. She went into her bathroom and silently locked the door. She put the light on and looked at herself in the mirror. She looked at her features and inspected her eyes. She didn’t know what she was looking for.

Long brown hair, blue eyes, full lips. All easily associated with her mother. She couldn’t see anything else. She stepped back and activated her mutation. Her eyes shone blue, and as she looked into the mirror, Ethan appeared behind her.

She turned around to look at him head on. He wasn’t real, and she knew that, but she still couldn’t suppress a shiver.

He put his hand in his pockets and leaned against the wall, staring at her. She sunk to the floor, her legs curling under her. She watched him watch her, still not knowing what she was looking for, what she wanted or what she needed.

The bathroom clock showed 01:13. She had been there for around two hours, just watching her own holographic image of him. He paced in front of her, inspected his nails and just casually stood there. She was ultimately in control of him, so he said nothing.

She stood up. She looked down at her left hand and materialised a gun. The surface of it felt cold. She had never held a gun in her bare hand before, only through a glove, so she had no idea how it felt. She pointed it at him. He just stood there and stared at her.

She fired. There was no sound. A glowing spark from the gun, and the bullet ripped through the skin in between his eyes and exploded the back of his skull against her bathroom wall. Holographic blood slipped down the surface and pooled around his body as it lay on the floor. She dropped the gun, her chest heaving.

She managed to reach the toilet as her stomach lurched, making her retch again and again until she had nothing left. She wiped her face and leaned against the counter staring into the mirror. The room was clean. There was no blood, no brain and skull fragments, no body and no gun.

She washed her face and changed into a tank top and clean panties. After cleaning her teeth, she went to bed. She smiled to herself. And as she feel into a deep restful sleep, she realised it hadn’t made her feel better, but then again, she had the power to kill him a thousand times a day until it did.


****************END