VIII. Desire and Consequences

Marie woke up with her cheek pressed against soft velvet. She couldn't recall the last time she woke up on her stomach. Oh yeah, two days ago, storm, island, Logan. Logan. Marie opened her eyes and turned her head. She was alone. And then she looked down. She was naked. No way to deny it. She smiled.

"Morning, highness."

Marie turned over on her side and blushed. Logan watched from the entrance as she pulled the lace blanket up around herself and try to sit up slowly. She didn't want to say it, but Logan knew her back hurt.

"I wish you'd stop calling me that……barbarian."

Logan dropped the fruits he was carrying and fell to his knees. Marie watched with a giggle as he approached her on all fours.

"Grrrrr."

She eased back a little and put her hands up in self-defense.

"Logan!"

He growled at her again and pounced. Catching her in the neck, he bit at her lightly. Marie squealed and fought futilely, but Logan didn't press his luck. She already had a mark there and he didn't want to mar her skin any further. Upset at himself for being so careless to begin with, Logan kissed at the red spot softly before pulling back.

"Barbarian, huh?"

Marie smiled and lay back. He was leaning over her, but it was still hard to look at him straightforward. Logan gave her a peck on the cheek, before sitting up. At least she was still okay with him. He had been worried that she would have regrets, but she seemed happy and they had fallen asleep early that morning, content and sated. He gave her one of the fruit he brought in and eased in next to her. Marie bit into the fruit and wondered exactly what he could see through the lace tablecloth.

"Turn over."

Marie hesitated a second before resuming the position she had woken up on. Still chewing, she smiled again at the feel of Logan's hands on her back.

"Are we going to the waterfall?"

Logan mm-hmmed and pulled down the blanket and brushed aside her waist length hair to better knead along her sides. Her shoulder looked better and planting an occasional kiss along her spine, worked most of the kinks out of her back by the time she finished her breakfast. Marie wallowed in the feel of his hands smoothing out her skin and nibbled on her plum. Despite the hardness in them, they felt amazing and she was happier than she could ever recall being. But eventually they fell away just as she was starting to fall asleep again. Logan flipped her over with a hand on her hip and leaned into her neck again. He wanted to, but he wasn't sure if she was hurting or sore. He spoke in between kisses to her face.

"We have to go. It's almost midday."

Marie frowned and opened her eyes. It was later than she thought, but then again they had hardly slept. Even though she was sure he had been tinkering outside for hours.

"You should have woken me up."

Logan gave her a final kiss where her collarbones met at her throat. There was still a faint line across it from the rope-burn Creed gave her. Unconsciously twitching his jaw, Logan nuzzled into her again before standing up.

"I couldn't."

Marie almost moaned at the loss of his body weight on hers. Wondering if he was going to stay while she dressed, he simplified her life significantly by stepping out just then.

"I'll get the things."

Marie nodded and jumped into action the minute the curtain swung back into place. She was dressed and out in minutes. Walking over to the Jean trunk, she brushed her hair and tied it back. Giving her cheeks a pinch, she gazed into the mirror and smiled at Logan's insistence she was beautiful. He kept telling her over and over while doing things to her the night before that she had never imagined could be done. Flustering at the memory, Marie bit her lip to keep from grinning. Picking up her slippers, she stared at them for a minute before eventually dropping them again. Turning around, she found Logan waiting. He was giving her a curious look and she took a second to remember how to walk again. Luckily, he met her halfway and gave her the sling and a stick as tall as her.

"What's this?"

"It's a walking stick, I made two this morning. Found good hardwood up on the eastside."

What he didn't tell her was that he was scouting. There were boar tracks just outside the perimeter of the shells that they lay down the night before. He followed them into the forest but soon lost them. He was working up a plan to weed them out, but it was still just a thought and watching Marie fuss with herself, he left that planning for another time.

Marie turned the smooth wood in her hands. He must have polished it with sand. She smiled at his ingenuity.

"Thanks."

Logan tucked a strand of white behind her ear and started to walk when Marie jumped back.

"Oh wait! I forgot something."

Logan turned and watched her run to the perch and pet her bird. She was saying something to it. The thing actually looked excited to see her and cawed loud enough to make sure she knew it. She walked back giggling a few minutes later. Logan huffed and shook his head in mock annoyance and started walking.

"That thing would make a good meal."

"He's adorable! And he has a name, so you could start calling him Raven."

Logan turned around with a raised eyebrow.

"You're calling a parrot a raven?"

Marie giggled.

"No. I'm naming him after Mrs. Witherstone's sister, Miss Raven. Mrs. Witherstone was the headmistress at the school where me and Kitty went to school. She had this dreadful sister who never let us do anything and had a thing for blue satin. She thought it was flattering on her, but it was awful."

Logan chuckled at the precocious tone in her voice and started walking.

"If you hated her so much, why did you name your parrot that?"

"Because, he sounds just like her when he's cawing."

Logan laughed out loud in amusement. Marie was already gracing him with more stories about Mrs. Witherstone's School. By the time they reached the waterfall an hour later, he was pretty sure he wouldn't ever want to meet that woman in a dark alley in his life. He was content to walk and listen until Marie suddenly shoved past him when they were close enough to feel the air cool and hear water rush. He threw off his shirt and chased after her in a repeat of the previous day only this time she was barefoot and he caught up to her soon after she had dropped her things and entered the clearing. To her great surprise, he heaved her up onto his shoulder.

"Put me down Logan!"

She tried to pound on his back, but quickly realized it just hurt her and made him laugh harder.

"Yes, your highness, in a minute your highness."

Then she realized where he was heading.

"Logan! We're going to fall."

He just grinned and gripped her a little tighter. He leaped over the rocks that led to the tallest ledge bordering the waterfall. Marie stilled quickly enough and held onto the waist of his trousers since he wasn't wearing a shirt anymore. She complained and begged, but he kept going. Eventually he reached the summit and eased her to her feet.

"Ready?"

Marie clung to him with equal parts amusement and horror. Before she could answer him, Logan gripped her hand and jumped off the ledge into the white waters below. Marie screamed and Logan yelled and both landed in an unceremonious splash. When he emerged, she was giggling and spurting, trying not to drown. He made his way to her before she could go under. Lifting her above the water, he was rewarded with a shove.

"You're crazy!!"

Logan grinned and pushed into her. Instantly, her legs went around him and Logan wasted no time in kissing her. Marie kissed back, shivering from the difference in the coolness of the water and the heat of his body. Gripping his chest tightly, Marie felt along his muscles while he moved down to work on her neck. Still entwined, Logan kicked lazily, pushing them back to the water's edge. Feeling his hardening erection against her belly and her own response to it, Marie moaned. Logan pulled back with a grin and moved his hands to the fabric of her skirt that had gathered around her waist. She wasn't wearing any underwear and Marie blushed furiously at his discovery of it.

"Your highness, I'm shocked."

Marie opened her mouth in a pout but Logan kissed her before she had a chance to respond. It was a long, passionate kiss, where he tasted fruit and crisp water. When they parted, Logan's mood was not as playful, finishing the swim back to the shore, he pulled himself and then Marie up on a particularly smooth boulder. Marie blanched a little.

"Out in the open?"

To her dismay, Logan laughed.

"There's no-one around but us."

Marie crossed her arms self-consciously. She was still a little unsure, but Logan stretched out next to her, taking her with him. He smoothed wet strands of hair that were plastered to her skin away from her face. She relaxed visibly and planted her head on his shoulder, stretching her hand along his chest. His breathing hitched a little, but he had something to say.

"I was meaning to tell you something."

Marie looked up into his face, kissing small places by his chin in lieu of an answer. He had shaved. Logan grumbled a little deep in his chest and absently pulled at the bow that secured at the back of her slipdress.

"I think it's a good idea if you teach me to read."

She stopped and looked up with a smile.

"Are you serious?"

Logan groaned at the fact that she had stopped kissing him. His hands moved her dress up her thighs.

"Very, and I'm gonna teach you how to hunt."

That made her sit up, completely separating them. Logan figured he could have waited a little more to tell her and prayed she didn't ask for lessons right away.

"Logan! I'm so excited. I can't wait. You'll see, I'll be the best student ever and I'll go easy on you at first. We'll start with the basics, but move on to the few books that we do have and…"

He pulled her back down to him again. She beamed at him before kissing him hard. His hands returned to her hips. Pulling her to grind into his erection, he smiled when she gasped against his lips. Flipping them around, so that he was on top, he pulled back enough to unbutton his pants.

"I'm excited too."

Marie flushed and ran her gaze down his wet body unabashedly. Despite all their lovemaking the night before, she hadn't really gotten a good look at him yet. Logan moved slow, very conscious of her curiosity. She even bit her lower lip, which always made him want to do the same thing to it. When he was freed, Marie sat up too and reached for him. Logan hissed sharply at the contact. Taking a moment to center himself against her soft caressing, he lowered down to her lips and began devouring her hungrily. Marie moaned as he parted her legs and pushed up her skirt. Lost in the feel of her hands on him, Logan clutched at her hips and bucked forward to meet her moistening entrance. Marie brought her hands up to hold at his waist, where she quickly learned she had the best grip against his thrusts. And that is exactly what he did.

Looking deep into her eyes, Logan eased in, giving her time to adjust slowly. When her panting slowed a little, he moved again, sliding in and out carefully not to drive her too hard into the hard surface beneath them. The hands by his waist tightened and knowing that two hands on her hips was redundant, Logan moved one up to cup her right breast. Instantly warming the skin there, he bent over to the other, suckling the nipple through the thin fabric. Soaked, he took mouthfuls of cool water from the cotton.

Watching Marie's beautiful face contort in pleasure, Logan found her lips again. She moaned his name against them and knowing that he wanted more of her, all of her, Logan plunged deeper, sliding both hands under her to prevent from hurting her. She responded strongly, each thrust bringing her closer to the edge. Taking turns from nursing on her cloth covered breast to the one bared by their jerking movements, Logan growled when he felt her muscles clench around his. Looking up, he brought his lips to hers as it crashed over them both. Against the backdrop of the rushing waterfall, they shared a perfect moment of perfect release. Logan looked up into Marie's flushed face when he could finally control his tremors.

"Are you okay?"

Marie smirked at the question. She was beyond okay. She couldn't be better. But she didn't know how to quite say that, so she nodded instead. He kissed her cheek and kept buttoning his pants. She had not really taken off her dress, so he eased it back down her hips and settled in beside her.

"Are you hungry?"

Marie nodded again. Very aware that if she didn't start talking soon, he'd be worried, she watched him reach over to the sling she had thrown to the ground and take out a fruit. He looked at it questioningly, before asking.

"What exactly is this?"

Marie watched him turn and smell it.

"It's a mango. Very sweet."

He took the knife he had tossed to the side and sliced off a piece. >From the green exterior, he wasn't expecting such a bright yellow pulp. Marie giggled at his expression.

"Go on, it tastes delicious."

Logan looked at her playful expression. Her hair was already drying in the warm air. Hit with a sudden idea, he pulled back at her still unfastened bodice to reveal her perfect breasts underneath. She stared at him expectantly, so he moved slowly to run the piece of fruit across a nipple. Her breath drew in sharply and the dusky pink skin tightened instantly. Logan felt something stir deep in his groin and bent over to lick the trail of juice the fruit left behind. He looked up.

"Delicious."

Marie giggled, eyes still closed. Logan pressed the fruit to her again. It dripped and left little bits of mango clinging to her, but it was quickly cleaned away with his sweeping mouth. Not one to be unfair, he treated her other side to the same loving treatment. Within minutes, Marie was breathing heavily and clinging to his dark hair. Interest quickly reawakened, Logan ran his coated fingers across her lips. Her eyes opened immediately and she smiled when he descended on them. Unfortunately her chest was still sticky and when he pressed into her, they were essentially stuck to one another. Laughing at his annoyed grumble that his chest hair was al matted, Marie pulled away and stood up.

"Delicious huh?"

With a gleam in her eye she jumped into the water and waded a little before turning around at his larger splash. Washing the residue off herself, Marie brought her slip over her head and flung it at Logan who caught it with a larger growl. He wanted to get some scouting done, but there were better ways to spend an afternoon than walking aimlessly, namely inside Marie. Tossing the piece of fabric, he dove under the water. Marie stopped laughing and looked around expectantly. Then he emerged behind her. She squealed at his bite on her shoulder, but slippery in the water, they clung to each other forcefully. When the bulge digging into her became more insistent, Marie wrapped her legs high around Logan's waist and braced for his penetration. Unlike before, it was delectably slow. Taking his time, Logan swayed into her in the white bubbling water. She kissed all around his face tenderly, enjoying the soft lapping sounds their bodies made when they met over and over and over. They enjoyed each other completely, savoring the newfound intimacy they shared. But they weren't alone. Cold eyes watched them from afar, recognizing their scent, tracking their movement, bidding for time.



Logan and Marie emerged from the forest late in the afternoon. Knowing there wasn't enough time to hunt or scout, but that they had at least gathered water and fruits, Logan planned on heading out towards the beach. He added to the water supply and was watching Marie pet her parrot when the feeling of being watched overwhelmed him again. He straightened out and looked around, but of course there was nothing but trees, sand and surf.

Gathering the things they would need and stashing their sticks and sling, Logan turned at Marie's laughter approaching him. He ran his gaze up her legs, which looked fetching in his shirt. She had tied a sash around her waist and with rolled up sleeves it made for a decent enough covering on her much smaller frame. Only there was nothing decent about the opening of the collar, which plunged down to almost her waist, letting the sun catch flashes of the chain she wore. She still had her wet dress in her hands and the parrot was fluttering on her shoulder.

"Logan, Logan! Look at what Raven could do."

Logan dropped the rope he was holding and looked over at the fluttering bird. She pet him a little to calm him down then looked at him gleefully as she balanced a seed on his beak.

"Steady, steady Raven."

And the damn bird actually turned stock still. Her grin grew and she removed her hands slowly. The bird remained still for a full minute before Marie yelled.

"Now!"

And damned if it didn't shake it's head to catch the seed in his beak. Marie clapped triumphantly and looked over at Logan who tried to hide his grin unsuccessfully.

"You see. Raven is an intelligent bird."

And she actually kissed it. Logan wondered if it was healthy to be jealous of a damned animal.

"I still think we should cook it."

"Don't listen to him, he's just grumpy Raven."

Marie glared at Logan before walking away, still feeding the bird seeds until she placed it on it's perch. Logan went to start the fire Marie had requested. When she finally came over, he could see that she was in an exceptional mood. Her hair was almost dry again, and he fanned a fire to life while watching her slowly brush her damp hair and tie it back delicately. When she was done, she rolled up the sleeves of the puffy shirt and realizing she was being watched, slid off the rum trunk and walked over to Logan's side.

"Let me brush your hair."

Logan poked at the fire.

"Go ahead."

Marie walked behind him and lay his head back against her chest. She then carefully gathered his long locks from his entire face and into a neat bundle at the back of his neck. She felt him relax instantly and loving how his thick hair felt in her fingers, Marie tossed her brush and braided it down to where it settled in between his shoulder blades. Finally tying the end in his suede bow, Marie turned his face to her and admired her handiwork. Logan was not a delicate looking man, but there was a rugged handsomeness in his work roughened features that made him attractive nonetheless.

"You are a handsome man Logan…"

A horrible thought occurred to her and she slapped a hand over her mouth.

"I don't know your name!"

Logan pulled her down to sit by him in the sand. It was a question he was asked often, but that he never offered an explanation to. Only Marie deserved one. He clasped his hands together and dug up long forgotten facts.

"I grew up in an orphanage. My mother or whoever left me there, had me wrapped in blankets with a note that said she couldn't take care of me, but that my father's name had been Logan. That was probably his surname, but that's what they called me and that's what stuck."

Marie studied his features. All this time, and she hadn't even asked.

"I've been boring you silly with my stories from London, and I hadn't even asked. I feel terrible."

Logan looped an arm around her shoulders.

"I've done mostly shitty things my entire life, trying to forget most of it anyway."

Marie blinked back her tears.

"It's still unfair. I love you and want to know."

Logan stopped for a minute and peered out into the horizon. She loved him. Never thought anybody could do that.

"It's late, let's go and I'll tell you all you wanna know."

He kissed her hand and Marie instantly felt better. Standing, she dumped all of the sheets and clothes that she had collected into the now boiling spittoon of water on the fire and added a handful of flowers she had collected in her sling on their walk back. Logan had already started walking, so trotting to catch up, Marie clutched at his arm and fell in step next to him with a smile and a crinkle of her nose.

"Start by telling me how old you are."

Logan burst into laughter again. He couldn't recall ever laughing so much in his life.

"You don't want to know Marie, you don't want to know."



They spent the rest of the afternoon in that easy mood. Walking towards the west side of the beach, where rocks littered the water, he taught Marie how to fish crabs with a box made of sticks lashed together and covered in the mesh netting that lined the interior of Marie's long discarded peach dress. Marie absorbed the information thoroughly impressed and slightly disappointed at all she had missed for sleeping until late.

The nicest thing about crabbing was that you got to relax. After walking all day and keeping plenty busy at the waterfall, it was nice to just relax and talk. And talk they did. Logan told Marie of all the lands he'd been to and the seas he'd crossed, while Marie told him of her family and the museums and operas she had seen. Occasionally stopping to spell out a particularly interesting word on the sand with a stick for him, Marie made sure she kept her end of the bargain. Lifting the trap out of the water an hour later, she was shocked to see a half dozen enormous crabs clawing and pinching at each other inside. Walking back just as the sun was setting, Marie and Logan paused for a moment to watch it sink behind the lapping waters. Sitting in silence for a long time, Logan finally spoke up.

"Show me your name."

Marie smiled at him and grabbed a nearby shell.

M A R I E

Logan looked down at the symbols he was surprised made sense to him and traced them with his finger. It had the same amount of letters and even had one of the same his name had. It was the only thing he knew how to write, but he was sure he wouldn't ever forget Marie's name either. He traced it one last time to commit it to memory. When he was done, he looked up and was met by an endearing kiss. When Marie pulled back he wrote his alongside hers. Mulling over the symbolism of labeling their island with their name, Logan and Marie stood and walked back to camp just as the last traces of sun hid behind the horizon.

That night, after feeding on a seeming endless amount of bright red crab legs and coconut juice, Logan decided to teach Marie some of the finer aspects of knife fighting. Although it was hard to concentrate with his body positioning hers from behind and pretending to stab with a stick, Marie did grasp the basics of how to handle a knife as well as where to inflict injury or maim in an attack in between fits of laughter and kissing. When they were done totally annihilating an invisible enemy, Marie read to Logan in the firelight. He listened attentively, occasionally asking her to show him an interesting word, while resting his head on her lap and indulging in a swig or two of rum.

Checking to see that their sheets were dry an hour later, Marie smoothed them over the mats that Logan had stitched together. Finally settling in, Marie unbraided Logan's hair while he freed her of his shirt and began covering her in aloe gel. A favor she returned slowly to his exquisite agony and complete pleasure. Embarking on yet another night of passionate and searing lovemaking, they fell asleep in the predawn hours in each other's arms, cooing soft words in between soft caresses, completely unaware and never suspecting that they had just sparked life deep inside of Marie's womb.