V. Steamtrucks and Slippers

Marie stomped down the beach in self-righteous anger. It was so unfair. What had she ever done to deserve such treatment. There was just no way for him to be polite, or at least civil. He was definitely a barbarian. Kicking at a shell in her way, she inadvertently caught the tips of the slippers he had made. It had taken a good hour. And they felt heavenly. She sighed at her nagging conscious. So he was a handy barbarian, and a girl-saving barbarian. And a barbarian that could build shelters and make fires and kill dinner and probably build a ship with his bare hands. With the help of his knife of course. Marie giggled at the thought. That horrible thing was like an extension of his hand. Probably slept with it cuddled close. The smile vanished from her face. He had saved her from Creed and the boar with that knife. And from gangrene too.

Making sure she was far enough out of sight, Marie collapsed to the sand, no longer angry but definitely chagrined. For a barbarian he sure knew what he was doing. What had she contributed to their situation other than bruised fruit? She had to face facts. St. John was not here to get her things. She had to somehow be strong, or stronger at least. Logan said her father was coming to get her. It was just a matter of time. She hoped he would be well enough. He needed her and she had failed to reach him.

Marie closed her eyes and held her knees tight. It was a lot easier this time around without that damned corset. She would definitely have to be stronger. When her father came for her, she would want to make him proud. Marie sighed heavily again and looked out over the water. The sun was setting and the blue waters were turning a shimmering orange. Remembering that it was her most favorite part of the day, Marie stood up and shook the sand that clung to her. Seeing a natural outcrop of rocks that rested partially in the water not too far off, Marie walked off to catch a better view of the sunset.

Carefully climbing over the blackened and slippery rocks Marie stopped several times to observe the interesting life trapped in small tidepools. Finally reaching the end of the ancient lava flow, she settled in again, just in time to catch the water begin to light magnificently. Lost in thoughts of her family, she would have barely registered what lay slightly below the water line had it not been lit by the glimmer of the setting sun. Gasping at the shine of metal, just slightly off the rocks, Marie looked around for a better grip. About to ease down into the water, she jumped at the sound of her name. Looking over at the beach, Marie almost laughed at the sight of Logan sprinting towards her and yelling her name like a maniac. She was still unsuccessfully trying to suppress her grin when he started to climb the rocks she had traversed.

"Marie! Marie! Wait, what are you doing?"

Logan rushed over the rocks barefoot, actually slipping a few times. Cursing under his breath, he reached the end and stared down at Marie in frustration.

"What the hell are you laughing at?"

Marie shook her head and dropped her gaze. Something about his naked chest always made it hard to look directly at him.

"Nothing."

He looked down at her with his hands on his waist, still breathing heavily. When he had turned the last curve of the beach in search of her, he almost swallowed his tongue when he saw Marie dangling off the edge of some rocks about thirty feet into the water. And now she was laughing at him.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Marie eased carefully onto a rock and clasped her hands innocently. Her need to laugh was curved with extensive lip biting. Did he think she was stupid enough to jump over the edge or something?

"What did you think I was doing?"

Realizing he had over-reacted big time and that she was laughing at his expense, Logan was about to turn and leave when she called out.

"Wait! Don't leave, I found something."

Logan turned and flicked a strand of hair that had escaped it's tie behind his ear. His hands were still on his waist. Seeing his jaw clench in residual embarrassment, Marie pointed at the water at the end of the outcropping.

"Look for yourself."

Still suspicious, Logan stared at her for a moment before walking over to the edge where she was pointing to. He looked back at her with an eyebrow arched high. Then a smile spread over his gruff features. Previous argument completely forgotten, the two grinned at each other for a minute before Logan eased down over the rocks and into the shallow water for inspection. Marie lay down over a particularly smooth rock and rested her chin in her hands.

"How are we going to lift it?"

Logan looked up and tapped one of the two steamtrucks with a splash.

"We need rope."



Ten minutes later, Logan returned with every piece of rope he had salvaged swung in a graceful loop across his chest. Marie had barely moved from where she had lain, looking quietly as the sun hung partially hidden behind the horizon. The warm ocean breeze had relaxed her so much, she had closed her eyes and failed to hear Logan approaching. Only when he dropped the rope next to her did she sit upright and smooth out her skirt.

"How long before the sun sets?"

Logan gave the horizon a brief look while his hands starting tying knots without thought.

"'Bout an hour."

Marie looked back down at their treasure and smiled.

"I want to help."

Logan looked at her with a wry smile without a single pause in his knot tying.

"Your highness, I'm shocked."

Marie's face fell immediately.

"Must you always hurt my feelings?"

Logan stopped and gave her an evaluative look. Maybe she was still mad at him. Might as well make peace while he could. She was a lot more pleasant to be around when she was relaxed.

"Look, you can...hold this, while I wrap it around.

Knowing that it was a nothing job, Marie held on end of the rope while Logan jumped into the orangey water and took a huge breath before going under. Still a little upset at the duty he had given her, she sat with her feet dangling when a thought occurred to her. When Logan emerged she was already in the chest deep water.

"I have a better way. You can just pull them through the water and onto the beach. Easier"

Logan looked at the thirty foot trek to the shore. It was soft sand all the way, and a hell of a lot easier than pulling them up out of the water and across a rock ledge. Why didn't he think of that? Giving her a last look, he silently tightened the restraints before lifting them up to his chest and pulling. Marie grinned gleefully and splashed up next to him.

"I had a good idea huh?"

Logan smirked despite himself while he took long deliberate steps. The water actually made the drag easier.

"Yes you did."

Marie practically gushed and Logan shook his head. It was a good idea and he felt stupid he hadn't thought of it first. They reached the shore in no time and Marie was beside herself. He paused and fell to the beach to catch his breath. Marie hummed nervously around the two large steamtrunks, fiddling with the ropes and removing scraps of seaweed from them and he could see her excitement clearly. That and the outline of her body in the very thin, very wet slip.

Jumping up at the thought, Logan grabbed one of the ropes, since gravity now made it impossible to carry two, and started dragging. Marie walked by him, carrying on about what they might find inside. Her theories ran the gamut, and Logan found it an incredible hard walk and not because of the hundred or so pounds he was dragging through a nice quarter mile stretch of beach. Nope, he was just trying to keep his eyes away from the chattering girl beside him. When they finally reached their settlement he had an idea.

"It's almost dark. I'm starting a fire and you should stay while I get the other trunk."

Perking up immediately, Marie went to fetch the wood Logan had collected earlier to add to the fire ring. Before she was done with a second trip, Logan had a small kindling fire burning using only two sticks to start it. She looked at the smoking brush then at him in amazement.

"You are a truly talented man."

Logan chuckled at her genuine wide-eyed approval.

"For a barbarian."

In too good a mood to be egged into a fight, Marie harrumphed and went to fetch more wood. Setting the logs carefully over the growing fire, Logan called out to her.

"I'll be right back."

"Okay, but please hurry."

Logan gave her a final look before walking off. She was already busy sorting through the things he had assembled earlier, completely unaware of her dress clinging to all kinds of places. Maybe it was better when her breasts were flattened and pinned in place. They were less distracting that way. Shaking his head in wonderment, he walked off taking slow steps to give himself time. He needed time. Time to remind himself of all the things he needed to remember. Like the fact that she was only a girl, and that she had a fiancé, and that daddy would hang him, and that it would be just wrong of him to take advantage of the situation. Even though he hadn't had a woman in so long, this one was off limits. Completely. Because, well for so many reasons. And that made him pause and stare out at the water. None of those reasons meant shit to him. There was only one real reason. She didn't want him. And that made him kick the sand in front of him. She really disliked him. He was beneath her and her taste in men ran in much more refined directions. Like the pretty-boy Frenchy. Directions he had never been to. Lifting the rope over his shoulder just as the last of the sun disappeared out of the sky, Logan began dragging. A half hour after he left, Logan was in sights of camp and to his dismay, Marie ran out to meet him.

"What took you so long? I was worried."

Logan heaved the trunk next to it's twin and flexed his hands. Marie was practically jumping all around him. He needed to get it together.

"I rinsed out our clothes and I started the meat roasting."

Logan looked over at the fire. The two thighs were wedged between two sticks she had braced against the rocks circling the fire. Not exactly how he would have done it, but he guessed it would get the job done. He turned to face Marie's proud expression.

"Your highness, I'm impressed."

That made her look down again and stomp away with a grumble. Logan couldn't help but notice how nice she looked when she blushed.

"I really wish you stopped calling me that. My name is Marie Elizabeth. You can call me either one."

Logan chuckled and settled next to the fire to dry his trousers.

"I knew it was Marie something."

He went to get up in search for the poker he found earlier, when she withdrew it from her side and gave it to him with a smile. He took it without saying a word and jabbed a few holes in the meat. Having only had fruit all day, the smell was intoxicating and he was glad for it.

"So can we?"

Logan kept poking at their dinner and didn't meet her gaze. Huge drops of fat were melting off the pork and falling into the fire, making it hiss with added fuel.

"Can we what?"

She dropped to her knees in exasperation.

"You know exactly what."

He smiled. He had to. She was being such a child. Standing up slowly to hide his interest, he withdrew the knife he kept at his back and moved to the huge steamtrunks. Each was about three feet high and five across. Not as impressive as the ones Marie had brought on board, but fine leather nevertheless.

"Well, if you insist."

Marie scampered over to him and settled down comfortably.

"I insist, I insist."

First removing the rope he had secured them with, Logan carefully edged the lock of the first one with his blade. The were cast iron, but wedging the blade tip in between the metal and the leather securely, he sent the metal flying with a good pull. Looking over at Marie's taught expression in the firelight, he swung the cover back in a dramatic sweep. Marie smiled at the blue velvet blanket that covered everything. Passing a hand over it, she looked up at Logan.

"It's dry."

Reaching in and pushing the blanket off, she gasped at the contents. There were books and toiletries, and two stretches of lace. Pilling things excitedly out on the sand, she exclaimed.

"It's all so beautiful. Must have belonged to a lady."

Logan sifted through some frilly things and snorted.

"It figures, Creed would steal from anybody."

Marie kept pouring over everything, finding a silver edged comb and mirror set, she sighed.

"Oh, I thought I'd never see this again"

"Look there's a note there."

Marie stopped clutching her treasure, and looked down. Partially hidden in a book, was a note.

"Should I read it?"

Logan shrugged.

"Why not?"

"Well it might be personal."

He snorted and pointed at some obvious undergarments.

"And all this isn't?"

Marie colored slightly.

"I guess."

Unfolding the fine parchment, Marie turned it slightly to the fire and cleared her throat.

"To my dearest Jean, these are just a few knick-knacks I thought you might be needing. I know you are still settling into married life and trying to get rid of your nosy old aunt, but I couldn't resist. Any news to report? Well, I hope you conceive soon my angel. Give Scott all my love and hugs and kisses for you my doll. With so much love, Aunt Betsy."

Marie closed the letter reverently and tucked it back into the book it was in. Logan noticed how quickly she went from bubbly to sullen. If he knew it would have that effect on her, he would have ripped it to shreads. To make matters worse, she stared tearing.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Well, everything. These things belong to someone and it's wrong to take them."

Logan shook his head.

"We didn't take them, pirates stole them, and this Jean woman whoever she is, I think would have liked for you to have these things instead of lying at the bottom of the sea."

Marie wrinkled her forehead and ran a hand over the silk of a nightgown.

"I guess, you're right. We were so lucky to find them."

She folded the gown and put it delicately back in the trunk.

"It's just that this is like a dowry and I..."

She caught herself before she said it and looked up at Logan. He completed the thought.

"And you had been carrying one too."

Marie nodded in sudden embarrassment, not quite sure why it embarrassed her to let Logan know she was bethroved.

"I was supposed to get married once Poppa was well and Kitty joined us."

Logan caught the adjective right away.

"Supposed to?"

Marie shoved her hand out to him in explanation.

"I lost my ring. In the storm."

She took her hand back as quickly as she had stuck it out.

"It was a sapphire and extremely rare."

Her voice trailed off again and Logan couldn't watch her sit and wring her hands any longer.

"Hey, I'm sure you'll get another one. We should open the other."

Without waiting for an answer, he chucked some of the Jean things back into the Jean trunk and started working around the second trunk's lock. He didn't want to think about Marie's ring. It probably cost more than what he got paid for a whole season's work. Maybe two. And then that frustrated him again. Why would he think about that anyway? Who cared about damned rings? Only seeing Marie wipe at her face out of the corner of his eye, he realized that yes, some people cared a lot.

Logan threw back the second truck lid with less preamble than the first. Inside was a sight much more welcome to him than books and frilly things. He picked up a bottle and showed it at Marie with a grin.

"Rum, the best kind."

Marie smiled faintly and inched closer out of curiosity. Logan took out a few more bottles when he brought up a fragrant bag. He sniffed at it appreciatively.

"Tobacco, but no pipe."

He kept digging and pulled out a funny looking cast iron...thing.

"What is that?"

Logan chucked it to the side.

"It's a spittoon, for chew, but for us, it's a new pot."

Marie raised her eyebrows high. Suddenly more interested, she leaned over the trunk edge and started pulling out some items as well. Boot polish, more rum, a leather overcoat, leather riding gloves, a compass, an axe head wrapped in a skin, some dominoes made of ivory, and the last item which was wrapped in a leather square. Offering it to Logan, Marie watched him unfurl the leather bundle until a thin sliver of metal fell out. She looked up at him, knowing full well he knew what it was.

"A shaving knife and sharpener." He volunteered.

She nodded with a smile.

"Good, you don't have to look quite as barbarian."

She nodded to the scruffy stubble he already had covering his chin.

"Thank you, your highness. I suggest you try the brush as well."

Marie shrunk back and snorted. A hand was immediately at her hair. Logan started packing his things back with a smile At least she wasn't depressed anymore. Hearing the hiss of fat dripping into the fire, Logan turned to check on their dinner. It was well braised and ready. Standing up, he broke off a large palm leaf from a nearby tree and placed the sizzling thighs on it. Cutting a piece off with his knife, he brought it to his lips. The salt water he had rinsed it with gave the meat the perfect seasoning. Biting off another piece, he looked back.

"Marie, come eat."

And damned if she wasn't brushing her hair.

"I was just kidding. You look fine."

It took another minute for her to join him. She brought some fruits as well. Logan cut some meat for her and placed it on a leaf in front of her. Marie looked at it for a second before realizing she had to use her fingers. Dropping the first piece she took, she looked up at Logan sheepishly.

"Hot."

Trying again, she finally managed to get a piece into her mouth. She was never much of a meat eater, but it was good and she was hungry. Losing all self-consciousness quickly enough, Marie ate wholeheartedly while Logan watched. She really did look fine. She had finally let her hair loose and it fluttered in the breeze all around her face. He had been meaning to ask and in their quiet, fight free moment, Logan figured it was a good a time to ask as any.

"How did you get those streaks in your hair?"

Marie shifted a little and dropped the meat she was holding in her greasy fingers. Eventually everyone got around to asking. The direct approach was best.

"When I was little my mother was murdered. I was with her, but I don't remember. When my father found me later that day, I had them. They say it was the shock."

Logan stared at Marie for a minute. She wouldn't make up a story that awful. But awful it was. He instantly regretted asking. As quickly as she had started, she got up and went to the cracked cask filled with water. She rinsed out her hands with a rag and tried to look busy. Not knowing what to do, Logan called out to her.

"I'm sorry."

She just sort of nodded and he could see her rubbing the cross she had around her neck. Not hungry anymore, Logan put the rest of the meat in leaves and in the fire to toast. It would serve well as jerky and preserved, it would draw less attention at night. As if sensing his train of thought, Marie finally spoke out. She was facing the strip of tropical forest not too far off.

"Will they come at night?"

"No, I'll clean everything off and the fire will burn till morning."

Slightly more at ease, Marie moved over to one of the trunks and sat down on it.

Logan cleaned his knife off and looked around for his bloody shirt.

"I rinsed it when you were gone." She pointed at a nearby tree fluttering with petticoats and his shirt. "It's drying, but I'll go get it."

He caught her by the arm.

"That's fine, I don't need it to sleep."

Marie looked down at the ground between them. Seeing the unsure look return, Logan let her arm go and broached the subject he knew was on her mind.

"Um, there's two mats over in the shelter. You can add some of those blankets that you have and it'll be comfortable enough."

She flushed a little and resumed the hand wringing.

"It'll be fine Marie."

Marie fluttered a hand to her cross and looked up at the man staring at her so intensely. He had done so much to keep her comfortable, to keep her alive. He would never hurt her. She had to admit that to herself in all honesty. Not wanting to appear ungrateful, Marie sort of nodded and pushed the Jean trunk open.

"Okay, I'll just get some things."

Her voice was real low, but Logan could tell she was as sure as she was going to get on the matter. Looking over their camp, he went around adding to the fire, covering the food up, arranging things to block out the wind and generally making sure they had good, sturdy cover. When Marie stood up, she had a bundle of things in her arms. Without saying a word, she walked to the little three walled thatched hut, Logan had constructed and started smoothing out towels and blankets for the both of them. Logan watched her move silently.

"I don't need any, you could have them."

Marie stopped her fixing and sat back.

"There's enough. You should be comfortable too."

Logan shrugged and Marie added the blue velvet as a pillow to his side. Logan was still watching her, so he caught her next statement. Had he not been, he would have missed her faint voice.

"I'm going to change. This dress is dirty."

Without looking at him, Marie went behind where she had changed earlier. Checking to see where Logan was, she was surprised to see him unbuttoning his trousers. Eyes wide, she watched as he took the tie out of his hair and fetched one of the rum bottles. Adjusting the trunks again to shield from the direct ocean air he turned and tossed the bottle on his new pillow. Taking the cloth the rum was wrapped in for protection, he dipped it in the cask water before rubbing it over his face, chest, underarms and eventually his feet. Marie's eyes followed the cloth as it traveled across his body.

Even though he had been shirtless all day, she hadn't really allowed herself to look. But she indulged now as he moved in the flickering firelight. She had never really seen someone use their body as well as he. When he moved, all his muscles were fluid and they flexed and moved marvelously. She never really thought about it that way before, but that kind of ease was beautiful. Not like Remy or St. John even, but in a way that was all Logan, he was beautiful. Snapping back into attention when he disappeared into the shadows of the hut, Marie quickly fumbled out of her own slip, cleaned up with it like she had seen Logan do and eased into the one meant for Jean. She noticed dejectedly how snug it was, but since it was a nightgown, at least it went down to her ankles. Emerging from the barrier quickly, she threw the dirty slip to the side and hurried to her place in the hut. It was hard not to be able to see Logan's features in the dark, but she distinctly heard the swish of a bottle being thrown back.

Logan watched as Marie scuttled into her mat and quickly covered in a thin tablecoth that he supposed would make a great blanket. He didn't think it was possible, but he was actually nervous. He knew how hard the whole thing was for her, but there was nothing else he could do to make her realize that she was safe, except maybe stop thinking about her moving in that nightgown four feet away from him. He took another swig to dull that thought when she surprised him by talking.

"It's okay that you asked about my hair. You don't have to feel bad, or anything."

"I didn't think...That must have been very hard for you."

"It was, but I mostly don't remember."

"You miss her."

"Very much."

"Did they ever catch?"

"No......She was a former slave. Black. Many people hated us where we lived."

That took Logan aback. He moved too rest the bottle by his side and thought about that a minute. The great Charles Xavier was married to a slave? All of the neat categories that he had placed him in shattered instantly.

"I had no idea."

"That my mother could be black? Well, she was, and she was so beautiful."

"What was her name?"

"Ororo. She died when I was seven. Kitty was five."

"That's your sister?"

"Yes, she gave me this cross to hold."

Marie held up the artifact in the air. Logan couldn't see it, but he knew it well.

"You'll see her again."

She stood quiet for a long time.

"I hope. Thank you. For everything."

"You don't have to thank me."

"Yes I do, and thank you."

Now it was Logan's turn to be silent. He had not expected this from her. Taking another drink, he thought about all the neat little boxes he had placed her in as well. None seemed fitting at the moment.

"Tomorrow we'll search for water first thing. You can take a bath."

"Are you making fun of me?"

"No. I just know how much you like your bath."

Marie smiled in the dark.

"You are making fun of me."

Logan smiled too.

"Are you thirsty now?"

"A little."

"Like rum?"

A giggle.

"Not really."

"Ever try it?"

"No."

"So how do you know?"

Silence. Than a whole lot of rustling. Logan sat up when he felt her move over towards him.

"Maybe just a little."

Logan grinned and handed her the bottle. Up close, he could see the white of her gown and her hair clearly. She had a little more trouble seeing. Her hand brushed against his arm before getting to where the bottle was.

"Sorry."

Logan could just picture her blush. He was about to warn her about the kick when he heard the liquid swish as she tossed her head back. In almost the same instant, she coughed and made a gagging sound. Logan took the bottle back before she dropped it.

"Are you okay?"

"No......oh my lord, what's in that?"

Logan laughed out loud and wished he could see her expression.

"Just a little sugar cane."

Marie was still coughing, so he patted her back. Eventually she stopped but he kept his hand in place. She noticed it for the first time and swung her head around to see his expression. Only there wasn't any. Only black, but she could feel his breath. Very hot and smelling like rum. She unconsciously leaned into it. Logan felt her do it, felt her breath on him too. Then she pulled back. Logan's hand immediately fell away.

"Um, I don't think I'm thirsty anymore. And I definitely don't like rum."

Logan smiled at the attempt at humor.

"I'm sure."

"Goodnight, Logan."

"Goodnight..."

Looking down at his bottle, he felt along his side for the cap and covered it. On the other side, he heard her move away and settle in. After a long time, where he heard her breathing slow into sleep, he finally ventured a word.

"Marie."