III. Pirates and Canons

Marie found it hard to get out of her miserable bed the next day. Bobby came to get her promptly at nine, but she was in no mood to sit above deck. Lest she see him. The barbarian that had done nothing but insult her every chance he got. Still clutching her father's letter, the one that begged her to come see him in the Americas because he was ill, Marie sent Bobby away for the morning. The boy scratched his head for a full minute before walking off. Marie stood in her bed and brooded; too frustrated to read, too angry to write, too scared to leave her room.



Logan eyed Bobby on deck working with Cable. The boy was the new designated lap dog, so he was surprised to see him working instead of catering to her majesty. Working up in the sails all morning silently waiting to see Marie come out and take her throne, he grew increasingly agitated by noon when he didn't see her. It was a cloudy, windy day, but he knew it had to be about him. What he had told her the night before when she was being the nicest she had ever been with him, and he could barely keep from jumping down her throat. Not paying attention to what he was doing, Logan missed the rope he was cutting and sliced a gash across his hand.

Cursing into the wind, Logan pulled the handkerchief he had around his neck and wrapped it over his hand. Waiting until the bleeding stopped he resumed his work feeling miserable and guilty. He never let women get to him and here he was bleeding because her majesty didn't want to make her presence known. Cursing again, he swung to the third mast to continue refitting the sails. There was a storm coming and he needed to focus on what he was doing.



Marie spent the afternoon with St. John. After Bobby brought her lunch, she snuck down the hall and quietly slipped into his room with the tray. He was still in bed, slightly feverish and sick, so she started to chat idly and run wet cloths across his forehead. St. John was humiliated to have her serve him, but after so many days of lying sick in a bed, he welcomed her company and enjoyed her chatter. Only today was different, she was quieter and thoughtful as she cut him bits of bread.

"Pardon Miss Marie, but is something troubling you?"

Marie fussed with her tray and tried to look busy.

"It's nothing St. John, just that I tire of this ship. I want to see Poppa."

She let a giant tear roll down her face, not bothering to dabble at it, instead letting it stain the bodice of the peach satin dress she was wearing. Knowing it wasn't his place to pry, St. John sat up and waited. After several minutes she eventually spoke up.

"Am I good person?"

St. John frowned. That was the last question he expected.

"Of course you are, my lady. You are proper, and virtuous and ..."

He was about to continue his list, but she paused him with a hand on his arm.

"But am I a good person?"

She looked at him with pleading eyes. There was so much more to this.

"Yes, you are."

Marie looked down as more tears littered her bodice.

"You are too and you should tell Katherine how you feel."

St. John's jaw dropped. It was a secret, something that could never be revealed.

"I, she..."

"She loves you too. Please tell her."

He shook his head furiously.

"No, I can't, Miss Katherine deserves someone who can..."

"Someone who can love her."

Marie looked deep into her friend's eyes. He smiled faintly before looking down. This was definitely the last thing he expected to discuss with Marie.

"I'll try."

Marie smiled and finally cleared her tears. Her headache was still there.

"St. John, I feel tired, I'm going to my room now, I'll come see you in the morning."

The man nodded numbly and bid her good-bye. It was only after she left that he realized she hadn't told him what was bothering her. Mind still swimming with thoughts of Katherine, he closed his eyes and tried to picture a destiny so bold as to be with the woman he loved.



Logan shuffled up the stairs just as lightening lit the sky. For days the Captain had anticipated bad weather and now that it was upon them, experience told Logan that it was going to be so much more. Starting to secure all of the hatches above deck just as the rain started to really pelt his back, Logan's mind wandered briefly to her majesty. The ship had began to pitch and sway and without the sails opened they were pretty much sitting in the water, bobbing back and forth. She would be scared for sure. Spotting Bobby struggling with some anchorings to his side, he pulled the kid to the side.

"I'll finish here, go check on her majesty."

Bobby grinned at the reference. It was no secret what Logan thought about having to drag boiling pails of water up to her room every day.

"She doesn't want to see anybody. But I'll try anyways."

Logan flinched slightly before patting the boy on his back to send him on his way. So she was upset. Briefly recalling a flash of creamy skin, he almost lost his footing when the ship pitched left and a masting swung loose over his head. Realizing he had bigger things to worry about, Logan turned to catch the loose rope when a light in the distance caught his attention. Instantly recognizing it as a deck lantern, Logan dropped what he had in his hands and started yelling at the top of his voice.

"Ship ahoy, portside!! Ship ahoy, portside!! It's a galleon!!"

For a second, the dozen or so men on deck froze in mid action before turning to confirm what Logan saw. In the horizon, hidden in the gray, low clouds that hung heavy in the sky was a Spanish ship, sails still straining in the increasing wind, charging full speed ahead in an intersection course with the Esmeralda. In a heartbeat, all of the men burst into action. Logan was halfway to the Captain when he saw a cold look overtake the old man's face. He put down his eyeglass with a snarl on his lips.

"Captain."

"Yes, I see my boy. It's the 'Isabella'."

He picked up the eyepiece again, as if to confirm his nightmare. Then he turned to Logan and the assembling crew behind him. All hands were on deck now, except for Bobby. Logan could see the fear and excitement the old man wore clearly.

"We're in it now boys!! Skipper, full evasive towards west, Cable and Logan, full sails! That will give us time while they turn!! Bishop and the rest, prepare canons and we fire at will!!!"

The crew burst into action. They were a merchant ship, but as such they had run into the Isabella before. It was a pirate ship that waited off Caribbean waters for a wealthy load to pass by to ambush. Captain Victor Creed was ruthless and had and old gruge with the Esmeralda, since it had escaped his grasp not once but twice, making them the only ones lucky enough to have tarnished his reputation and lived. Magnus had wanted to avoid an encounter especially with an Xavier on board, even going as far as to timing his arrival with another ship rumored to be caring silver, but he had underestimated Creed's need for vengeance. Grabbing Logan, his best fighter, by the leg before he disappeared into the sails, he roared above the thunder.

"This time boy, we go for the kill!!"

Logan breathed through the blade he held in his mouth heavily. He had a distinct feeling that Magnus knew that Creed might be waiting. There was just entirely too much ammo on board. Finishing his fifty foot climb up the swaying masts, he started to cut the sails loose, watching the canvas unfurl beneath him. In the distance, lightening crackled and he could see the growing shape of the faster, sleeker, lighter ship heading straight towards them. Because it was dark and the seas were churning, they had spotted it late. Remembering the last two encounters with those cutthroats, Logan wondered if they would be so lucky this time.



Marie grasped the books falling from her headboard. Looking over at Bobby, she frantically tried to balance her footing in the swaying ship.

"Bobby, why are we swaying so much?"

"It's just a storm, we've seen many of these, just remain calm."

Defying his own advice, he walked over to her round port window. The Isabella was looming closer and he could tell by the rushing water beneath them that Magnus had ordered the sails to be let down for a chase. It was a dangerous move, since lightening was striking close by.

"What's happening Bobby, please tell me!"

Bobby ran to Marie, but she shrieked again when another pitch sent her sprawling over him. Behind them, the door opened. It was St. John looking like he was about to collapse, but he held a second lantern, which instantly brightened the room again now that the candles were snuffed out.

"Miss Marie, are you okay?"

They ran to him, and precariously helped him to the bed. While Bobby was still busy with St. John, Marie ran to the port window and let out a low moan at what she saw. She turned to Bobby frantically again.

"Why is that ship so close? What's going on?"

Bobby looked into each of their frantic faces. There was no point in lying now.

"It's the Isabella, a pi..."

Before he could complete the statement, the entire ship rocked in a massive explosion. Marie screamed as everything seemed to tumble around them. The lantern that St. John brought crashed onto the floor sending them all into darkness.



Logan pulled the cast iron giant with all his might. The rain was falling hard now, making the rope in his fingers and the ground under his boots slippery, but he trudged on, hearing the grunt of three men straining with him. When they finally had the canon in position, he dropped to his knees, panting to catch a breath. Brushing his long hair out of his eyes, he went for the ammo next. They made a human chain, four men passing black orbs between them. A neat pile forming by the canon, Logan broke the chain to go help pull the second canon into position. The Esmeralda was moving quick, but they were still not ready and the Isabella was almost within firing range. Turning briefly to check how far off she was, Logan fell to his knees when an explosion tore through the side of the ship. It moved everything to one side, and for a second it seemed that the Esmeralda would tip over.



Ears still ringing, Logan stumbled to his feet. It was raining debris all around and he could see the panic of the crew. Apparently Creed had gotten himself a better canon, but Logan was sure it was still just one. Cable, the skipper, was counting down the 48 seconds it took for the Isabella to reload. Reaching the second canon just as the man yelled 47, Logan crouched down for the impending hit. It crashed into pretty much the same area, tossing him up against the black giant. He felt something in his side snap on the impact, but hustling quicker as the countdown began again, Logan braced as their first canon finally returned the damage they had received.

The two ships continued to pelt themselves and the surrounding waters with canon fire until it became apparent that the Esmeralda was not going down. Although she had two antiquated canons, two was still better than one. Furious that his element of surprise had not been enough, Creed ordered the ship to be rammed. In little over fifteen minutes of canon exchange, the hull of the slightly bigger Isabella crashed into the stern of the Esmeralda. The crew that was split between manning two canons suddenly dispersed and drew their weapons as it became clear they were going to be boarded. Creed's men poured onto the decks of the Esmeralda wielding swords, sabers, and torches. Both Captains watched what the outcome would be from a distance.



Marie scrambled to get up among the overturning things and felt along the ground for the others. Eventually, she felt arms close around her and wailed at the sound of glass breaking and St. John screaming.

"Marie, Marie! Get down."

She let herself get pulled down again, and crawling along the floor over broken things Marie gasped when Bobby managed to open her door and a wave of heat hit them at once. The ship was on fire. He turned around and grabbed at her.

"Get up, we gotta get out!"

The three made their way past the blazing remnants of the lower decks. They had been lucky enough to have been hit on the side opposite Marie's room, but the fire that was lit by some overturned lamp somewhere was quickly raging out of control.

Marie closed her eyes and shielded her face from the intense heat. She was running blind, but St. John pushed her along in the right direction. They followed Bobby through the fiery maze below deck until Marie finally felt a welcome breeze of air. Still coughing and sputtering they reached the chaotic scene above and were quickly drenched in the pouring rain. Bobby spotted the Captain not far off. Extending the knife he had at his side, he tossed it to St. John, who looked more alert than he had in days. Picking up a saber from a body on the floor, Bobby pulled Marie along, the three making an uneventful bee-line to Captain Magnus.

Marie stared in horror at the sights and sounds around her. The ship was on fire and men were hacking and cleaving each other all around. Trying to shut out the sounds of screaming and yelling, she focused on the ground beneath her feet. The ship had stopped swaying so much since it was partially stabilized by the other, but it was still hard to walk in the pouring rain. She eventually just closed her eyes and didn't stop until she bumped into Bobby's back. Still looking around frantically, St. John pushed her to the ground to keep her out of sight, where she clung to the base of the Captain's chair.

"Captain, I brought the girl."

Magnus opened his mouth for a response, but a voice echoed above everything else. It was Creed and everyone stopped at the sound of his voice.



Logan withdrew his knife from his opponent's side with a growl. They had been sorely outnumbered by Creed's men, but they were a roving crew of bandits that worked sloppily together. Logan had traveled with Magnus for four years and in that time they had lost only two men. They knew each other well and had developed strategies that insured survival. Logan was by nature a frontlines guy. He and two others were the fastest with a knife and intercepted the enemy first. Whoever filtered through them was dealt with by the others, but on a good day it wasn't many.

Today was not a good day. Hurt from a slash on his thigh when two men ganged up on him, Logan had fought over a dozen men and still they seemed to be pouring onto his ship. Leaping over the body he had just put down, Logan braced himself to move onto the next when Creed's voice called high above the roar of fire, thunder and screaming.

"Magnus!! Magnus!!"

The Captain turned and stood slowly at his place by the helm. He didn't offer a response, just looked at his younger counterpart in disgust.

"You, my fat friend, are dead in the water!! I offer a treaty!!"

Logan watched carefully as something flashed across Magnus' face. It was gone in a heartbeat, replaced by a throaty laugh that made his entire belly shake. He pointed his sword at the pirate.

"You're a lying son of a whore Creed!! You don't know the meaning of the word treaty!!"

The long-haired blonde captain chuckled where he was standing, then leaped down to the very tip of his ship and leaned over casually. All eyes were on him as men waited with bloody swords for the next move. Overhead, lightening crashed and the ocean seemed to grumble in response.

"Oh, but it's a treaty I offer!! Give me what I want and I sail away, leaving you with enough men to patch up this pathetic excuse for a vessel and hobble on home!!"

Captain Magnus laughed again. Bobby and St. John, being the closest to him marveled at the thunderous sound he produced. Only they were close enough to see his hands shake in fear.

"And what is it that you want?? All I carry is supplies and tea for the settlements!!"

At that Creed smiled, showing a mouthful of gleaming white teeth. It was a carnivorous smile.

"But you have more than just tea, you old sea dog!! You have an Xavier!!"

Logan's heart dropped out of his chest. Somehow they knew. He looked at the Captain's face. It was a bitter mask with a smile. A betrayer's smile. He had to do something.

"She is not for sale!!"

"We both know you've been paid enough so far to have made this all worthwhile!! Give her to me and I will sail away!!"

Marie whimpered and looked up at St. John's panic-stricken face. He put a hand out to shush her and clung to the weapon in his hand. Bobby looked at his Captain expectantly, confident it would never go that far, but something in the enormous man's eyes told him otherwise. It spoke of self-preservation at any cost. The ship swayed steeply as the storm swirling the ocean refused to slow for the drama unfolding in it's midst.

"Then you can have her!! Just leave my sights, you bastard!!"

Creed chuckled and gave a signal with his hand. Three men that Bobby and St. John had not noticed in their inexperience, moved forward to grab the girl hidden under the Captain's chair. Marie looked up in horror as knives were pointed at her protectors and they were ordered to step down. Looking up at the Captain, she tried to plead, beg, make her lips move, but a sob was caught in her throat and she could only cry.

A large, toothless man whose front was covered in blood, stepped forward and grabbed her by the arm. She struggled and bucked under his clasp, but it was useless. Behind her she heard Bobby protest to the Captain, and then a kick to his stomach that brought him to his knees. Her captor held her by the throat while another one tied her hands together. Finally slipping a rope around her neck, the man tightened it and started to lead her off like an animal.

As quickly as they had invaded, Creed's men hustled back to the Isabella, boarding her silently as the tense standoff continued. On his perch, Creed watched the girl being dragged with a smile. Her ransom would be significant. Plus he would have fun with her, he always had a thing for virgins. Maybe daddy wouldn't want her back after he was through with her. He watched with a cold calculating gaze as the girl was tossed over a shoulder. There was a net thrown over the side of the Isabella and his men were climbing it slowly with her still kicking and screaming. It was surprising how much her voice carried over the storm pelting them all. He turned one last time to the old captain of the Esmeralda.

"Good bye, old friend until we meet next time!!!"

He broke into a hearty laugh at the other man's defeated expression. Still laughing, Creed was completely unprepared for the explosion that tore his hull apart. Everything around him shook and trembled as the Isabelle pitched back from the blast. Above the roar, a scream was heard. It was a gutteral growl that would have belonged to an animal had it not formed a word. It had yelled 'attack'.



Logan quickly reloaded the canon, hoping that there was enough time for another blast before the two ships disengaged. Hearing more than seeing his crewmates approach, he lit the cast iron giant and aimed before covering his ears. The blast was so close, he felt everything around him on the Esmeralda tremble as well. Canons were not for use up close, but knowing that nothing could stop Creed from taking Marie, he quietly repositioned it while everyone just sat on their hands uselessly and watched. His arms ached from the effort of doing it all alone, but it had been worth it. The two simultaneous up-close blasts had breached the Isabella's hull beneath the water line and the ship was taking on water and going down fast.

Unsheathing his blade just as Cable reached him, Logan turned to his friend one last time for a nod of understanding before joining the others in a full head on assault. Weaving through dozens of one on one fights, Logan raced to where he saw Marie was carried off too. In the sky, lightening aided his quest with momentary flashes of light. With a weary heart, Logan spotted her peach colored form being tossed over the rim of the ship like a rag doll. Finally reaching the edge of the Esmeralda's stern, he bit down on his blade and leaped across the growing gap between the ships.

Clutching on the netting the Creed crew had used to haul ass, Logan gripped tight knowing that if he let go, he would fall into the ocean and be sucked under the now sinking ship. Feeling the ache in his arms from having moved a canon all by himself, Logan bit down on his blade, ignoring his pain and trudged forward. Above the roaring water and raging skies, he could hear her sobbing. Moving faster, he was almost to the top when another explosion tore into the Isabella, essentially splitting the ship in two. Thrown painfully into the wooden hull with the blast, Logan gritted his teeth and continued on. She was in Creed's clutches by now and knowing that his ship was dead in the water, that psycho was capable of anything.



Marie gasped as she was thrown over the edge of the Isabella and landed with a hard thump on the deck. The rain falling on her face prevented her from seeing clearly and she didn't see the arms that picked her up until she was suddenly face to face with the man they called Captain Creed. He pulled at the rope she had around her neck. Half dragged, half stumbling down a dangerously sharpening incline, Marie sobbed behind the hulking form and realized she was going to die. They would search for her body and not find one because the ocean never gave up what it claimed. She saw her father's expression and it would surely kill him. She would never even get to return Kitty's chain.

Bringing her gloved and tied hands to her chest, Marie clasped the cross she was given to hold in sheer anger and lunged at the man that led her. Letting out a scream, she plunged it deep into the back of his neck and was sent sprawling back to the ground with a backhand for her trouble. The rope around her neck cut into her painfully as she fell because he did not let go. But he was hurt too. Marie's heart soared when in a flash of sudden lightening she could see him clasping his neck and flaying. He was hurt. She could hurt him. The thought was surprisingly empowering and taking another breath, Marie brought the cross down on his foot. The sharp, finely crafted cross penetrated Creed's cheap leather boot easily and finally seeing the rope that he held fall before her, Marie turned and ran. Feeling the promise of freedom thread through her, Marie ran hard from her captor but the fates would have it that another explosion rocked the ship at that same moment and falling victim to the layered skirts and soft slippers she was wearing, Marie tripped and stumbled down a sharpening incline right into Creed's grasp again.

Marie now found herself pressed face down into the deck. She struggled for a minute but being turned over on her back with ease, she felt a hard slap across her face. The blow almost knocked her unconscious. Creed muttered indistinguishable words at her and whimpering slightly she braced for another hit. But all she felt was Creed's body fall over hers with a thud. The entire vessel shuddered and pitched making her faintly recalled that the ship was sinking. Still fighting consciousness, she saw a blur move over her and flip Creed off her. Looking over to her side, she barely had time to see the blade that sliced open his throat. But she did feel the hot blood. It splattered on her face and thinking she was next, Marie closed her eyes and screamed.



Logan gripped his knife hard and was about to slice again for good measure, when Marie screamed. It was a blood chilling scream and enough to snap him out of his vengeance filled haze. Cleaning the knife off the dead man's jacket, he moved to cut Marie's hands free, but she kicked at him and tried to run. Sliding the knife back into his waist in defeat, Logan stepped over Creed's body and grabbed at her. All around, the Isabella groaned and buckled in protest. The deck was beginning to splinter. Sitting over her stomach to keep her in place, Logan clutched Marie's face in his bloody hands and shook her a little to make her stop screaming.

"Marie! Marie! It's me! Marie!"

Lightening flashed overhead and Marie stopped screaming more out of the difficulty Logan's weight posed on breathing than anything. Slowly, her tear filled eyes focused on his voice.

"M-m-mister Logan?"

He let out a smile and stood up, dragging her up behind him. She clung to him, making it more difficult for Logan to keep his balance in the swaying deck, but he pulled her along as best he could. In the final stages of sinking, the ship was tipping over and Logan knew by experience that they had only seconds to jump ship. Running back the way he came, Logan pulled Marie into his side and yelled above the swirling ocean.

"We're going to climb down, can you do that?"

Marie nodded numbly in partial shock but without time to waste, Logan tightened his grip around her waist and flung his leg over the buckling railing. Holding onto the rope net, Logan glanced over at the Esmeralda. The fires were still raging and since Creed's crew evacuated onto her, there was still a considerable amount of fighting going on there. What's more, the sinking Isabella was bobbing further and further away. In a dark moment of complete awareness, Logan realized that it would be nearly impossible to get back on board their ship. The ocean below them was twirling angrily and it was only a matter of minutes before they sunk completely. If they were still holding on to the ship when that happened, the downwards drag would pull them down with it. Feeling the shivers run through the girl in his arms, Logan tucked her into himself a little tighter and mumbled in her ear to hold on.

There was only one way to survive this and sending a quick prayer to whomever was listening, Logan let go of the ropes and kicked away from the hull they were hanging on with all his might. Marie screamed again and still clutching to each other tightly, they fell into the tumultuous water with a deafening splash.