XVIII. First Thing

Marie padded over to the large open porch and looked out over the horizon for the tenth time that day. Having taught the cook exactly how to cook crabs just right and gone outside to the fields to pick mangoes with the maids all morning, she settled in on the cushy porch booth and took out the book she had been rereading. Taking the suede strap and the dried lavender she used as a bookmark, she brought it to her nose solemnly before tucking the strap into her bodice. She read in the dimming evening light, occasionally pausing and looking out over into the blue ocean. Caught up in the memory of warm nights making love on the beach as the sun set, Marie failed to hear the sound of bare feet behind her.

"Marie Elizabeth."

Marie looked over at her sister with a sly smirk. She sat next to her in the porch booth and took out a letter. Marie looked at her thoughtfully before taking it. Words could not describe the overwhelming joy she felt walking out of the forest that day with Logan to see St. John kissing Katherine on the front steps. It turns out the shots she heard was from the gun that her father kept in his desk. In his rush to underestimate him, Lebeau failed to check. And things couldn't have worked out better. There was only one thing missing in her life now. Looking one last time over at the horizon, Marie took the letter.

"It's from Jean Summers."

Marie smiled and thought about the beautiful wife of the admiral. In the two weeks since that day, she had visited with her several times. Marie was pleasantly surprised when Jean had agreed so quickly to volunteer her time at the new hospital. Jean's father had been a physician and she apparently had a knack for medicine as well. She was a most charming lady and despite Marie's repeated offers to return her trunks, Jean had refused. In a way Marie was glad. The two sat like monuments in the corner of her room. The room she slept alone in. She looked over at the horizon dejectedly again. Noticing her sadness, Katherine leaned over and placed her hand over Marie's. At Marie's insistence, she had stopped wearing gloves.

"Are you all right?"

Marie stared at the cross Katherine wore around her neck. Returning it was hard, but she wanted her sister to have it's protection now.

"I just miss him so much Kitty."

On the porch railing, Raven perked up and started chanting his newly learned word.

"Kit-teee, Kit-teee."

Both girls giggled and Marie tossed him a seed from the ones she always kept in her pocket. Raven caught it and they laughed even louder when he flew off. Marie let him roam free around the property, since it seemed so wrong to lock him behind a cage. It worked out well, since Puerto Nuevo was almost as tropical as his home had been. The bird came and went as he pleased.

"That bird is truly remarkable."

Marie looked at her sister wistfully. She was so happy to have her so close. The modest ring she wore on her finger glimmered in the bright tropical sun.

"He'll be back soon, Marie. Johnny said new ships have been coming in continuously."

Marie picked up the hand that was over hers and looked at the ring up close.

"Johnny?"

Kitty immediately lowered her head and blushed.

"Don't make fun of me Marie Elizabeth, you sound like daddy."

Marie chuckled again. After witnessing their little display on the steps of the house that day, she figured Kitty and St. John went full speed ahead, but they were still circling each other warily. But Marie was confident their love would last, they had time. She knew her sister was waiting for him to fully recover from his leg injury before announcing an engagement party.

"That's because even daddy is wondering when you two are going to stop turning red every time you're in the same room together."

Kitty blushed even harder and brought the ring up to her lips with a sigh. Then she looked at Marie curiously.

"I don't mean to be rude Marie Elizabeth, but what exactly happened to…well, the one…"

Marie raised an eyebrow.

"I gave it to the hospital that daddy's building. No point in letting it go to waste."

Kitty nodded sadly and gave her sister a quick hug. A few days afterwards, Lebeau was tried and hung for orchestrating the kidnapping plot, and being responsible for two of their servant's deaths. Marie had left him unconscious and bleeding in the forest, but had no remorse about the entire thing. Although she despised the man, her father had always believed that god and law be the only judges of a man's actions. That was a belief she could live with.

The whole experience was very hard on everyone, especially their father since he had hoped to never have done such a thing on his island. But facts were inevitable, and as Puerto Nuevo grew by leaps and bounds, Xavier had to admit that crime would occasionally factor in. In response, he had offered positions to Logan's friends as Summer's deputies. On a fleet of cutters, they patrolled the waters from Puerto Nuevo to the mainland. It saddened him deeply, but he knew his community was safer for it.

Only Bobby stayed behind on the island as Summer's deputy assistant. Marie had visited him when she had gone to see Jean and was beyond tickled when he asked her tips on how to court a girl. It seems he had a thing for Summer's secretary. Marie shook her head and tucked her bare feet under herself. Kitty looked up knowing she had something to say. Marie rubbed her stomach lightly and smiled sadly at Kitty.

"I have something to tell you Katherine."

The younger woman blinked expectantly. Her sister rarely called her by her given name when they were alone. Marie laid the book to the side and withdrew the suede strap she had tucked in her bodice and turned it in her fingers.

"I am with child."

Kitty blinked a few times in shock. Marie repeated herself.

"Almost two months pregnant."

Kitty flushed and placed a hand over her mouth.

"But why…how…"

She stopped herself and flushed even deeper. Marie laid a hand on her shoulder.

"I think we already spoke about that Katherine."

They stared at each other a few seconds before giggling unexpectedly. Marie had told her everything about her voyage and everything that had happened on the island, but something made her hold back with that particular bit of news. Their voices quieted and Marie's eyes glistened. Never able to hold back her own tears, Kitty sniffled and embraced her sister.

"But why didn't you tell me. It must have been so dreadful, keeping a secret like that all to yourself."

Marie sighed deeply and settled back into her chair. Looking out over to the horizon, she watched the sun starting to set. Her favorite time of day.

"I was waiting for him to come back. St. John knows, but I wanted to tell you and daddy all together."

Her eyes glistened again, but tears did not fall. Marie had non left to spill. Kitty shook her head sadly.

"He'll come back, because he'll do anything for you Marie Elizabeth. And you will both be so happy."

Marie smoothed away her sister's tears and smiled through her sorrow. Kitty squeezed her hand and they sat in silence for another few moments to watch the sun setting. Afterwards, Kitty stood and smoothed out her skirts.

"Daddy must still be working in the study. I'll go see that he retires soon."

Marie nodded and wrapped her hand around her book. The breeze was heavenly and she decided to stay outdoors a little longer. She had taken to avoiding her room completely until she couldn't possibly keep her eyes open any longer. Something about smelling the ocean air helped her sleep and the last thing she wanted was to sleep in a huge bed alone. Curling onto her side, she fingered the suede strap in her fingers and thought about hazel eyes and the safety of large arms wrapped around her until she fell asleep.



Logan shifted his weight expertly as the wind swayed the ship back and forth. It was a small cutter ship, but it moved fast and sleek in the water. Tightening his grip on the ropes that kept him up in the riggings, Logan looked past the flapping canvas all around him to the land that lay just further up ahead. They were still a few miles off, but he could see the street lamps of Puerto Nuevo clearly. Feeling his heart soar, he picked up the eyeglass he had tucked into his waist and looked up to the tallest hill on the long island. It was faint, but he could see the enormous white house nestled in the greenery.

He put the eyeglass down slowly. He had spent the majority of his life on the water, weeks at a time where nothing past what he was doing at the moment mattered, but that had all changed when a girl called him a barbarian on a wharf in London. He smiled in remembrance as he started to descend the rigging. He had thought a lot about Marie while he was away. He had thought he had fallen in love with her somewhere on that island. But that wasn't true.

He fell for her the minute he laid eyes on her. Something about that brave haughtiness that went straight for his heart. The rest was simply figuring it out. Jumping onto a sinking ship and risking death twice over should have proven it. But he needed more. He realized that the moment they walked out of the forest that day hand in hand.

Marie had run into her father's arms and Logan had stood back. She had caught up to him when he was already halfway to his horse. Guilt gnawed at him, but he knew it would only grow and fester if he didn't take care of things right way. Besides, she had her family. She would be okay. Safe. He left with tears, a kiss and a promise to return soon. Not able to look into her watery green eyes for fear that he would just stay, Logan had left determined to fulfill his promise. She deserved the best and he was willing to do anything to be deserving of her.

Assisting the small crew of four to man the flag signals, pull in the sails and release anchor, Logan hustled to gather his things and settle payment with the crew before jumping down to the dock below. Immediately, he spotted Summers and Bobby overseeing a late shipment of supplies coming in for the new hospital. He was almost to the young admiral when Bobby jumped up.

"Hey Logan! Thought you'd never come back."

Logan shook hands with both and slapped Summer's back heartily.

"Was there ever any doubt?"

Summers smiled.

"So is Puerto Nuevo's best silver fighter here to stay?"

Logan grinned at the old reference and wondered if Summer's would still fine him for fighting. Not that he would. For now.

"Permanently."

"That's good to hear. Marie Elizabeth has been waiting."

Logan looked over at the direction of the Xavier home. It had been the longest two weeks of his life. Summer's smile grew at the far away expression that crossed Logan's features. Jean had been right.

"Are you going up tonight?"

Logan snapped back to the here and now at Bobby's question. Summers jumped in before he had a chance to respond.

"Of course he is Robert. Take my horse as a matter of fact. Go on."

Both Logan and Bobby looked at the admiral strangely.

"You're killing time. She's waiting!"

Logan's smile spread and Bobby ran off, coming back with a tall black horse in seconds.

"Thank you Summers. I owe you."

The admiral smiled and actually looked embarrassed.

"Just remember you owe me several bottles of some excellent rum. And some tobacco."

Logan raised an eyebrow.

"Deal."

With a final handshake, Logan left pulling Bobby along with him. When they were safely out of earshot, he took out a letter.

"I need you to run all of these errands for me by tomorrow afternoon. This should cover it."

Bobby opened his eyes wide at the purse full of silver that Logan dropped in his hand. Apparently silver fighting paid well. When you were the Wolverine, of course.

"Sure thing Logan. My lady friend could read."

Logan slapped him on the shoulder and mounted the horse he `borrowed' from Summers. Before taking off he looked at the boy who was happily stuffing the items into his shirt.

"If it hadn't been for you dropping that cask of ale, I never would have met her."

Bobby smirked widely. He had a pretty good idea what was in the letter.

"Good luck."

Logan grinned and took off into the country roads. Half an hour later, he was nearing the gates that were marked with a giant X. He was let in by the gatekeeper just as the moon began it's nightly ascent. Dismounting the powerful horse, Logan pat it down briefly before handing the reigns to the gatekeeper. Despite his stand on no drinking on Sundays, he had to respect Summer's taste in horses.

Looking over at the enormous Xavier home, Logan swallowed nervously. He had been here only once before, but he barely had time to acknowledge anything about it. Remembering his mission and refusing to let it intimidate him, Logan straightened out the new leather vest that he wore over his crisp white shirt and moved ahead with renewed vigor in his step. Jogging up the stairs, he cleared his throat again, before going to knock at the junction of the brass X on the double doors. But hand still in the air, he startled when he heard his name.

"Logan?"

He looked over. Tucked away in the corner of the expansive porch was Marie. He smiled widely. One of those genuine smiles that rarely graced his face. Marie stumbled out of her booth and charged at him. He caught her in his arms and even staggered a bit at the force at which she flung herself at him. Loving the way her mouth curved when she laughed, Logan moved his lips to cover hers. Tired of waiting, and hoping and pining, they kissed passionately, completely. It was only when Raven swooped down on Logan's shoulder that they disengaged. Logan tried to calm the fluttering bird.

"Hey, hey, calm down boy."

Marie giggled brightly.

"He's missed you too."

"Not as much as I've missed you."

He moved down to kiss her again, but Raven's cawing made it impossible. Logan moved back ruefully.

"So you have a new chaperone."

Marie lifted her arm to calm Raven down. He silenced immediately and she moved back to the booth she had been sitting on. Logan followed, trying to smooth back the hair Raven ruffled up.

"The one time that I try to look good, it backfires."

Marie tucked her feet under her and took in his appearance. He was dressed up handsomely. Even though his shirt was wide open and he had no jacket on with his knit trousers, he looked marvelous.

"You do look good."

She enjoyed the embarrassed look on his face and remembered something. Setting Raven down on the edge of the porch railing, she took out the suede strap she had dropped and leaned over. Logan stared at her up close as she gathered his hair back. Missing the closeness, the intimacy, his hands moved to circle her waist. He smiled at the feel of her corset underneath. He had really grown to like those things.

"So why exactly do you look so handsome?"

Logan grinned at her playful tone and pulled her onto his lap before she had a chance to sit back next to him. Marie's breath caught and she looked deep into the hazel eyes she dreamed so much of. Logan traced the white streaks that circled her face with his gloved hands. She traced his long, recently shaped sideburns in exchange.

"I thought this was what men wore to go courting."

Marie chuckled giddily.

"This is a tad daring for somewhat who is still courting."

Logan tightened his grip on her waist and moved his hand down her long white streaks to the edge of her light summer dress. He smiled at the color. Peach.

"I never cared much for rules."

Loving how she colored down to her chest, Logan leaned over and kissed her again. Marie pulled him closer by the neck and moaned slightly. Logan's hand opened and spread over her breast. Gasping at the intense familiar heat that ran through her, Marie arched into his touch. Logan moved down to her neck, his lips moving more urgently past the soft flesh he craved. It had been too long. But the papers that crinkled in his vest when Marie slipped her hand into his shirt reminded him of what he had gotten all dressed up for in the first place. Logan spoke between kisses to her neck.

"Marie I…I have…something…that I have… to tell you."

Marie `mm-hmmed' and continued to feel along the outlines of his chest. He grinned at how hard he got when she brushed past his nipple. Figuring he could tell her later, Logan squeezed down on her breast and found her mouth again. They kissed fervently until they heard a gasp that Raven identified as `Kit-teee'.

Marie stumbled from Logan's lap and fluttered a hand to her chest.

"Umm, Katherine, you remember Logan."

Logan stood too, not really looking at Kitty when he muttered a good evening. Kitty looked at Marie's flustered expression and almost squeaked in excitement. She was confident he would come back, but she had no idea it would be so soon. An idea occurred to her and she beamed at the couple.

"Should I tell father you'll be seeing him?"

Marie's eyes got huge, but to her surprise, Logan spoke up from where he was trying to hide by the railing.

"Yes, I wish to speak to him."

Marie turned to stare at him but couldn't see his face which was partially hidden by the shadows. Kitty clapped excitedly and gave Marie a smacking kiss on the forehead before fluttering off. Logan chuckled nervously when the petite girl closed the door behind herself and practically screamed for St. John down the hallways.

"Umm, you don't have to……"

Logan stood up and straightened out a little. Marie looked positively mortified.

"Hey, I'm courting remember?"

Marie smiled and fiddled with her hands. Logan stepped forward and withdrew the folded parchment he had in his inner vest pocket. He coughed to clear his throat.

"This is a deed Marie Elizabeth."

Marie's eyes widened. He had never called her that before. Even though curiosity was killing her, she had not wanted to ask, but use of both names insured that he was ready to tell.

"I've been up north to the colonies, where I had an old friend who kept my fight winnings."

He shifted his weight to lean against the porch rail.

"With all the business trumping up between Puerto Nuevo and the mainland, I figured I could make a good living for us running supplies and folk between the two."

Marie raised an eyebrow with a smile. Logan extended a hand and Marie stepped into his embrace. She took the parchment and looked at it in the dark.

"You bought a ship?"

Logan chuckled at her incredulity, and clasped his hands behind her back.

"Eternidad."

Marie scrunched her forehead, going through the Spanish she knew.

"Eternity?"

Logan nodded and kissed Marie's cheek. She thought for a minute before looking up.

"But you'll be gone so often."

He shook his head and cupped her face.

"The mainland is only two days away and I want you coming with me."

Marie looked down at the parchment in her hand. The idea of being on the ocean every few days somehow appealed to her. Some freedom and she was still with her family. Logan watched her think things over. He wanted her to love the idea. It meant the world to him.

"When can I see it?"

A smile spread across both their faces. Logan closed the space between them and kissed her tenderly.

"Your family's waiting."

Marie wrapped her arms around Logan and pressed a kiss to his chest, above his heart.

"Are you sure?"

"First thing remember?"

Marie smiled against the chest she loved.

"It might take a while longer."

Logan kissed the top of her head, savoring the lingering perfume in her hair.

"Well, not if Bobby hustles quick tomorrow morning."

Marie snapped her head up.

"Tomorrow?"

Logan grinned knowingly and planted a kiss on her parted lips.

"First I meet your father, tell him we have another Xavier on the way and then we stop over at Father Wagner's church and then you get to see the Eternidad. Finish your voyage right."

Marie blinked back the tears she hadn't spilt in weeks. Her love for Logan overwhelmed her and she reached up to kiss him again. The hand at her hip gravitated to her stomach. Their child.

"That sounds wonderful."

Feeling the same encompassing love, Logan smiled.

"I said first thing and I meant it darling. I love you."

"I know, and I love you."

Logan kissed her hand before sliding his arm easily across her back to settle on her waist. Felt so good to hear those words. And the corset he felt under the thin dress felt pretty good too. He raised an eyebrow at her.

"So afterwards we do a little catching up?"

Marie smiled up at him as they walked inside. Logan loved it when she blushed.

"Of course. But first things first."

Marie stopped and looked up. Logan followed her gaze and gasped at the giant frame in the foyer. Marie leaned on his shoulder and admired the painting with him, knowing that everything they had gone through, everything they had endured was all made right by that singular moment. They were happy and they would never be apart again.