XIV. Rubies and Poison

Marie sat in her room the entire day under the pretense of not feeling well. The room was beautifully appointed and perfectly suited for a lady's needs, and although Kitty had lovingly included anything she might need in the chests, it was entirely not where she wanted to be. Having dragged the Jean trunk up to the port window, she curled up on it's salty smelling leather and leaned her head against the glass. Between the ocean and the sky, there was nothing but blue, but it was wholly more comforting than staring at four walls. Raven seemed to think so too. Having requested seeds for her parrot, she idly sat and fed him all day long while tugging at the itchy sleeves of her dress.

In her hand was Logan's hair tie. A little scrap of suede that still smelled of him and the geranium she would rinse his hair in. Bringing it up to her nose in remembrance, she closed her eyes and imagined his long sleek black hair in her fingers. Smiling at the memory of the last two nights, she sighed heavily again. He was making a remarkable progress, but he was still a little weak and antsy as hell. Under McCoy's orders he was declared bedbound but Marie knew it was St. John that had arranged it with the first mate so that Logan was tucked out of sight. It angered him of course, but Logan agreed it was best and they spent the nights together at least. A knock at the door interrupted her thoughts.

"Come in."

It was Lebeau and instantly placing her bare feet on the floor, Marie turned to look at him. For almost two days she had avoided talking to him and with only one more night before arriving at Puerto Nuevo, she had hoped the discussion could be averted. Unfortunately, St. John had gone to get her dinner and she was all alone. He had obviously timed his visit to coincide the other man's absence. He had come to see her under St. John's careful eye at least once a day, but the lingering suspicion that he was somehow up to something reentered her mind.

"My chere, how are you feeling?"

Marie cringed at the endearment and forced a smile.

"A little better. I'm seasick."

Lebeau walked over slowly and sat on the other end of the trunk. Raven protested and flapped loudly. The man stood back a little from the fluttering parrot.

"Your bird doesn't approve of me."

Marie discretely tucked the suede strip into her waist and tried to calm Raven a little. She looked at the door and noticed it was closed. Not the best of situations.

"You're imagining things Monsieur. He does no such thing."

Lebeau looked over at the changes in Marie's features. She was slightly darker, but still breathtaking. A beautiful bride indeed. Noticing she didn't have gloves on, he took one of her hands.

"I fear you may not approve of me either…anymore."

Marie blanched at the contact. The hypnotic eyes that once fascinated her so much were now strangely darker, but still playful.

"I know not what you mean Monsieur."

He brought the hand up to his lips and Marie tightened her jaw. She snatched her hand back hastily.

"That is rather inappropriate sir."

Lebeau smirked at the irony. Still so very prim and proper with him. He wondered what she let the savage do to her.

"Like I said, Remy no longer pleases you."

Marie looked down at her hands. She knew she shouldn't have felt guilty, but she did. She still hadn't broken off the engagement and it was unfair to still have Remy believe she would marry him. But she had promised St. John to wait until they reached her father. She wasn't sure what made him think so little of Lebeau, but she trusted her friend's judgment and wanted nothing to happen to Logan.

"Monsieur, I don't truly feel well. This has all been so eventful…"

He reached for her hand again more forcefully and Marie silenced instantly. She watched in awe as he brought something out of his coat pocket and pressed it into her palm.

"I, I..."

"Say nothing mon ami, this is just a promise. Like the one I made before. I know you are confused and that dis entire experience has been daunting, but don't forget what awaits us. I regret not coming with you, but alas, we could never understand the fates. I have spoken to your father and he knew you were alive. Says he felt it in his soul. That's why I have searched so long. He wants us married as soon as possible, that nothing would make him happier."

Marie stared mutely as he picked the ring from her palm and carefully slid it onto her finger. Tightening the grasp on her hand, he continued in his most solemn voice.

"That is what I want Marie Elizabeth. To make you and him happy. Like the family you once dreamed we would be."

Marie reluctantly let him bring her hand up to his lips. Feeling a pull in her stomach, she swallowed and tried to think of what to say. She had to end it now. Blinking back some tears, she opened her mouth to explain, but St. John knocked before she got a chance. Lebeau let her hand go and stood.

"I managed to find more seeds for……"

St. John eyed the taller man suspiciously, but the nobleman was already on his feet. He walked stiffly to the door before turning.

"Think about it Marie Elizabeth and I will join you tomorrow for a most glorious homecoming."

With that he left and St. John stared at the door a moment before setting down a tray. Raven immediately flapped over to his shoulder, but seeing Marie look out the window sadly, he ignored the flutter and absentmindedly feed him some seeds from his pocket.

"What happened? What did he say to you?"

Unable to respond, Marie lifted her hand. St. John's eyes widened at the fiery glow of an enormous ruby. Taking a good long look at it, Marie surprised him by wrenching it off and flinging it across the room. It bounced brightly off a dresser and skidded across the floor. St. John sat in the spot Lebeau had just vacated and looked at it twinkling brightly from under the bed for a long time.

"What will you do?"

Marie fiddled with the suede strap in her fingers and leaned her head back up against the glass. The sun was setting, turning the water a multitude of colors. It was her favorite part of the day. Her voice was as muted as the colors in the sky.

"There's only one thing I could do."

Letting out a deep sigh, St. John acknowledged as much and brought over the food. Marie scrunched her nose immediately.

"I'm not hungry."

"You haven't even seen it."

Marie shrugged. She didn't have to. It wasn't the lemony seafood or the juicy fruits she had grown so accustomed to.

"I'm not hungry."

"Marie please, you are eating for two."

Marie snapped her gaze up. A flash of sorrow crossed her eyes. And then guilt. Moving slowly she walked over to the tray on her table. Knowing that she didn't like him uncovering or fussing with her food anymore, St. John walked out in silence to let her eat in peace. At Marie's request, he had taken to walking Raven up on deck at least once a day. He felt utterly ridiculous with the colorful animal cawing on his shoulder, but confinement wasn't good for anyone, especially those already used to sleeping practically under the sky.

For the past two days, he and Marie had talked a lot about her time on the island and he truly understood how hard it must have been for both her and Logan to not only be apart, but kept from the free going existence they were now so used to. Thinking over all the ironies and nuances of the situation, St. John returned to her quarters a few hours later. She was curled on her bed fully dressed, and placing Raven up on his rack, St. John shook her awake. She would normally have been gone already. Marie startled and looked at the clock by her vanity.

"I fell asleep."

St. John moved to light some candle lanterns and noticed that the ruby ring was on the nightstand now.

"Go. Everyone's asleep."

Marie wiped at the wet residue on her cheeks silently and still having the suede strap in her fingers, slipped it back under her pillow next to cold steel and placed a hand on her friend's shoulder before leaving. When she reached Logan's room down the hallway and to her left, she slipped in quickly and was startled to see him on his feet. He had healed remarkably fast, astonishing even, and the bandages were now reduced to just a small square on his side and on his calf. He was staring out the small port window with a hand at his side. His voice was a whisper.

"You're late."

He turned his head, just as surprised to see her in a big, deep green dress as she was to see him out of bed.

"I feel asleep."

She stepped forward and embraced him from behind. He looked back out over the water, his body stiff with tension. He hadn't thought she'd come.

"What's wrong?"

The hand on the edge of the window, gripped the metal frame a little tighter. The satin skirts brushing against him felt heavenly, but the jealousy crimping his heart ached.

"McCoy told me Lebeau showed him a ring this morning. Said it was to replace the one you lost. You didn't tell me he came to see you everyday."

Marie stepped back a little. She could only stare at the scar that crossed his dark, heavily contoured back. Creed, she remembered faintly. Three years back, in a sword fight, he had told her.

"Yes, he gave it to me, and yes he comes to see me, but it means nothing."

Logan whirled around so fast, she knew it must have hurt. His posture spoke of anger, but his eyes spoke of defeat. Slightly angry herself, she raised her gloveless hands between them and turned them slowly. Nothing there.

"When will you understand, that I only love you?"

Logan caught her hands in his.

"You deserve better."

"Remy is not better for me than you."

"I have nothing Marie! I can give you nothing!"

Marie cringed at the harshness in his words.

"Only my heart. Only my child."

Logan flinched. They stared at each other for a minute in front of the small round window. Hands still in his, Marie wrenched them away and brought them over his heart.

"That's all that matters."

She spread her hands slowly over the indent where his muscles met in the center. A small scar sat there, witness to the brutal boar attack. Closing her eyes, she leaned forward and placed her ear over it. She knew the rhythm by memory. Sure and strong. And it quickened ever so slightly.

Logan closed his eyes and regretted the feel of tears on his skin. He pulled her back and wiped them away with his thumbs. She kept her eyes closed and hypnotized by the slightly quivering and parted lips, the streaks curled neatly around her face and the hands still braced against his body, Logan understood. She trusted him. She loved him. And she was his. He didn't have a real way to say it, but the knowledge coursed through his blood hotly.

His hands migrated to her face, her neck, the back of her head, back to her face again. They moved as if memorizing and Marie closed her eyes and basked in the feel of them as her own heart rate increased. Then the hands moved down to her collar. Logan stepped forward, bringing Marie flush against the wall and breathing into her neck. He was tired of doubt and guilt. He would have them no longer.

"You're mine."

Fierce possessiveness flooding him, he gripped the edge of the modest collar and yanked it apart. Marie gasped and the green satin and white lace tore easily under the brutal strength. Swayed with the effort, Marie splayed her hands up against the wall behind her for support.

"Yes."

Her voice was so low, Logan wouldn't have heard it if his lips weren't pressed to her throat. His hands moved down to her now heaving chest. The dress was certainly modest, but not what was underneath. Licking and kissing along the top of the corset that pinned her breasts in place, Logan slipped his hands to her back and pulled her to meet his body. Marie arched and braced her hands against his shoulders. Tempted to scream when he bit the swell of her left breast, Marie dug her nails into the tight muscles that bridged the span between his shoulders and neck instead.

Moving back with a groan from the marks that she left on him, Logan pushed her body back into the wall. Looking to finish the job completely, he gripped the split fabric and continued to tear it down the front, bringing it past her shoulders and down her arms. It dropped dejectedly to the ground in a bundle around her feet. Looking at Marie's half-lidded eyes for a moment, he twirled her around. Pressed against the wall, Marie gasped again when his hands ripped open the waist of the two frilly petticoats she was wearing. They too fell to the ground.

Turned suddenly again, she braced for more, but what she felt was him kneel in front of her with a slight grunt of pain. The next jerk was her underwear. The lace ripped easily enough, and now wearing only a long corset and her stockings, Marie looked down just as Logan brought one of her legs over his shoulder and plunged into her sex. Not able to suppress her shudder, Marie moaned and held onto his head as it bobbed over her. His tongue swept her completely, making her drip in anticipation only minutes later.

Tightening the grip he had on the thigh by his face and opening the hand right under her breasts that held her in place, Logan fluttered his tongue over her swollen bundle and braced for her release. He felt it coming and when it did, she threw her head back against the wall and Logan reached up to clasp a hand over her mouth as she moaned and writhed in agonizing heat. Knowing he was seconds away himself if he didn't hold back, Logan brought his face to press against the white corset at her stomach until her shivering ceased and she slumped down the wall into a heap on her torn clothes.

Knowing that he had to have her completely or die right there and then, Logan raised himself off his knees, bringing Marie up with him. She clutched at his neck and rested her lips by his Adam's apple, still feeling waves of pleasure. Feeling her warm panting by the sensitive flesh, Logan ignored the stab of pain at his side from their combined weight and moved from the tangle of the torn dress to the narrow bed.

Letting her slide down his body, Logan stood at the bed's edge and parted his legs slightly for better balance. Marie moved forward on the edge of the thin mattress, still flushed and a little uncoordinated from her orgasm and pulled the drawstring to his trousers. Parting it with shaky hands, she brought the material down over his hips and giving him a tortuous look, took his erection in.

Watching her lips cover him, Logan squeezed his eyes and threw his head back much like she had done just moments ago. Marie dragged her hands and lips over the length lovingly, knowing by the shaky hand hovering over her neck and the feel of his abdominal muscles tightening under her palm that he was so close. True enough, he stepped back soon afterwards with her name still raggedly escaping his lips.

Dragging herself up the bed with a flushed look, Marie opened her legs as Logan quickly followed her on. He trailed kisses where her stockings ended and her skin began at her mid thigh, before positioning himself between them. Taking the now completely tussled hair in his hands, Logan pushed down hungrily onto her lips. They hadn't kissed until then and letting their tastes intermingle, Logan plunged into her waiting heat, the legs intertwined behind him help guiding him along.

Marie grasped his sides carefully and matching his every thrust, moved against Logan fluidly. They didn't pause or even slow down until it was over. Panting, and moaning and whispering each other's names, they came apart in a quick, but wholly and completely satisfying moment. Pumping the last of himself into her, Logan looked down at the wide eyes drinking in his every reaction.

Steadying his breath, he kissed her tenderly before easing out. Settling next to her, he brought her head over his shoulder, how they always slept when they were together. Still recovering from his exhaustive climax, Logan brushed Marie's tangled curls over to her back. They stood like that for a while, then faintly wondering if he had been too rough, he placed a hand over her laced up stomach. She answered his question before he had a chance to ask.

"I'm okay."

Logan stilled his hand and closed his eyes. Memories of countless times by the waterfalls and on the beach crossed his mind.

"I wish we could have had one last time there."

Marie smiled hazily. Logan felt the twitch against his skin without seeing it.

"I know."

The silence grew. Each tired, but thinking. Tomorrow brought the promise of no longer having to hide, and the anxiety, boredom and uselessness that they both felt all day eased out completely, leaving them only with dreams of warm sand, swaying trees and a child whose face they could already make out. He was still rubbing her corseted stomach lightly when they fell asleep.

"Maybe we can take him there someday."

"That's a fine idea, Marie."

Giving her a final kiss on the head which surprisingly carried the same possessiveness that the furious sex they had just had displayed, Logan closed his eyes and felt Marie's heartbeat slow down to match his. They had learned quickly that first night on the Santa Anna that they could no longer sleep alone.



Marie awoke when Logan's shoulder twitched. The room was particularly bright, flooding the room in light that matched their disposition.

"Marie baby, you have to get up."

She turned carefully to avoid touching his side, burying her face into his neck with a lazy smile. Logan moved his hands to the edge of her corset, where it widened over her hips. Tracing the line from her hip to the ridiculously narrow waist, he grumbled deep in his chest knowing full well that if she didn't leave in a few minutes, he wouldn't let her go until sometime that afternoon. Her playful voice didn't help any.

"I want to stay here with you."

The grumbling deepened a little as his hands kept exploring the satin belts and threaded laces that held the contraption together.

"You have to go darling. Home remember?"

Marie opened her eyes and looked up with a grin. Not able to resist the temptation, she climbed over Logan, who moaned in protest, and clambered over to the window. Logan followed a little slower and wrapped his sheet around the two of them. He could feel her practically buzzing in excitement and held her tight.

Not that far in the distance was a strip of an island. Puerto Nuevo was a docking settlement off of the mainland where ships going to or from the New World paused for supplies and restocking before taking on the three week voyage across the Atlantic. Marie stared at the land in wonder.

"I never thought I'd finish my voyage Logan."

"Especially with a barbarian."

He dove into her neck and she elbowed him on his safe side and smirked.

"So I wasn't expecting exactly that, but I'm glad for it."

Logan moved his arms to cross over her middle with a smile. The urge was definitely there, but he didn't want to spoil her first glimpse at what she had only heard stories about. He settled his chin on her shoulder and pointed to a speck to the north.

"That's the actual port. The ship is swaying a lot now, so if this wind keeps strong, we should be there in about two hours. The mainland is still two days further west."

Marie squinted at what was still just a little dot in the green expanse. Logan continued his explanations.

"Your father owns most of it, but he leases out to shopkeepers and merchants. When it was first settled about fifteen years ago, it was a wreck. Too many Spanish ships carrying silver and gold, which meant too many pirates. Then he expanded, built a whole town that could support itself on trade. Brought in the law. Families live their now, and almost every ship stops here. Despite the occasional bout with pirates or a hurricane, it's thriving."

Marie looked at the scene with moistening eyes. She had grown up there. It was there that they were first a family. Kitty barely remembered, but she certainly did. They would spend all day in the gardens with her mother. She was an earthy spirit that loved everything that grew. Marie had long forgotten that love, if anything, being on the island brought it all back. She had inherited her mother's love of nature and she trapped in a world of socials and tea parties had never really known it.

Her father had sent her and Kitty to London soon after their mother died and despite his frequent visits, she always resented him for it. He said it was for safety. That he could never risk their lives with pirates still frequenting the waters like he had with Ororo, but Marie never understood why he had stayed. Until now.

"He's done so much."

"Yes, currently expending the wharves about a mile down. It's free land. Slaves, Natives, anybody can work it and eventually own it. Plantations are springing up in the interior of the island for sugar and……"

He felt a tear land on the arm he had across her chest.

"Marie?"

She smiled weakly at Logan's concern and traced a finger over the tiny spot in the window where her father was waiting.

"All these years and I never understood why he stayed here. Said it was his dream. He wanted a place in the New World to change things and start over. A place where everyone could live together. It was what my mother wanted. She died for that dream and he never gave up, even when the crown refused his land grants for marrying her, he fought. I understand why now. I was so selfish."

Logan turned her to face him and tightened his embrace inside the sheet. The sky was now a perfect orange and again the streaks framing her face just took his breath away. He let her cry a little on his shoulder.

"Marie, you didn't know. It probably was for the best, but it doesn't matter now."

She sniffed against his shoulder and looked over the water to the green in the distance again. She was going home. It instantly made her feel better.

"You're right Logan. It doesn't matter now. We'll all be together."

Marie watched the far off land a little longer, feeling along the indent of Logan's back. He practically purred in response and she looked up to see a look on his face that she loved, but there was certainly not enough time. She had already stayed longer than it was wise.

"I have to go, before St. John barges in here."

Logan nodded and planted a soft kiss by her temple.

"You should."

He smiled at her hesitation. She wanted to as much as he did, but better judgment prevailed and she disentangled from him, only to look back with a flustered gaze when she remembered.

"My clothes."

Logan looked at the pile of ripped green and white fabric by the wall with a smirk.

"I got a little carried away."

Marie reddened slightly and yanked at the sheet they were wrapped in. Logan quirked an eyebrow and ignoring how nice her chest looked practically busting out of her corset, wrapped her in it. Stepping over to the bed, he sat and pulled on his trousers. Marie watched him move with a growing smile. He looked up and caught it.

"Just a few more hours Marie. First thing."

She walked to the door and opened it slightly, looking quickly in either direction.

"First thing."



Deliriously happy, Marie padded down the hall back to her room without any incident. Locking her door and running to Raven for a furious pet that threatened to unanchor some of his feathers, she slipped on her robe and went to one of the chests to pick out the most stunning dress. Thinking about Logan's hands and her father and Kitty's look of surprise, she settled on a simple light blue one and a matching handkerchief that Raven could wear around his neck. Pouring water from her pitcher to the basin, she began to unlace her undergarments to clean and change before St. John came back with breakfast.

Down the hall, Logan was staring out to the port in the distance, still smelling Marie on him, still wondering what direction his life would take, when a knock came to the door. It was the cabin boy with breakfast. Still not used to being catered to, Logan thanked him tightly and took a look at what it was. Not mango, that was for sure. But he was thirsty. Forgoing the staple gruel like substance and the plain bread, Logan went straight for the ale.

It might have seemed odd for most people, but a stein of ale greeted every sailor at every meal. Cringing at the bitterness, so unlike the amber rum he had grown to like, Logan settled it on the rim of the window and continued his contemplation. Basking in that knowledge that it would be his last few hours in the unbearable confinement of the damned room, he drained the rest excitedly and settled on his bed to pull on his heavy black boots.

Still working on the last one, he was genuinely shocked when the door opened and his most hated rival sauntered in. Immediately knowing the look he carried, Logan moved his hand to his back, but the weapon that never rested far from him, was no longer there.

"What the hell do you want?"

Lebeau smiled his most charming smile and walked over to where the stein rested on the window.

"I think we have been long overdue for a conversation, you filthy savage."

Logan stood quickly with fists tight, but his head spun inexplicably and he staggered back down. He felt drunk but it was impossible since he had had only one drink. Looking back over at Lebeau as his vision started to fuzz, Logan gritted his teeth in understanding.

"What the fuck did you slip me?"

Lebeau smirked and flexed his gloved hands.

"Must you always be so crude? I came here to speak man to man, if that's possible."

Logan swayed to his feet, but he was too discoordinated to move properly. With a thump, he fell to his knees. His speech was slurred as he fought a tingle in his muscles.

"Fight me…like…a man"

"I'm afraid I can not compare to your brutality, but rest assure, you will be dead soon. I simply prefer not to get my hands dirty with filth such as yourself."

Lebeau calmly walked over to the heap of green still by the wall. Kneeling down, he slowly twisted the flayed garments in his hand. His jaw twitched in anger, but he calmly brought the torn bodice to his nose. Taking in the scent of Marie's perfume, he looked over again at Logan, who was trying hard to crawl back to his feet.

"You've taken what is mine, savage. Taken my sweet shy girl and reduced her to a common whore."

Logan lunged at him at the word, but fell short a few feet. Sweat breaking out all over his body, he turned on his back on the floor and tried to still the spinning in his head with his hands on either side of his temples. The urge to gut the man multiplied in him, bringing his blood to a boil, but he could barely move and felt numb all over. He fought to keep his heavy eyes open.

Seeing he was almost unconscious, Lebeau dropped the satin he was holding and moved to stand over him. Wanting him to hear everything he had to say, he ground his tall leather boots into the bandage still at his side. Logan's eyes flung open and he growled and twisted in pain. He tried to grab at the foot digging into him, but his arms were tingling and no longer obeyed his command. With sharp pants, he felt Lebeau remove his foot and lean down over him.

"But it won't matter because she will be mine. I promise you. She'll wear my ring and do as I please until I tire of her. Wrapped in the finest silks, I'll make her beg for me. Make her forget that she ever rutted with a savage like you."

Logan snarled at him, just as a complete numbness swept over him. He tried to fight it, but the poison was strong. Lebeau's last words echoed distantly in his ears as he succumbed to the darkness.