XIII. Old Friends and Revenge

Marie snapped out of her haze long enough to tighten her grip on Raven. She could tell the bird was troubled, and she reached into Remy's coat pocket for more seeds. She had lost sight of Logan because his boat was being pulled up out of the water first. Looking up at the imposing wooden hull of the Santa Anna in the dark, Marie waited eagerly as ropes were cast down, the boat was secured and a dozen men on deck heaved the rowboat slowly up over the side. Standing in anticipation, just as it cleared the hull line, Marie ignored the curious looks she got from the men and scanned the deck quickly for Logan.

He was being pulled out of the boat by his enormous friend. She clutched Raven tighter at the hurt she caught in his grimace, but before she could interrupt Remy's incessant fawning and ask about a ship's doctor, she heard her name being called.

"Marie Elizabeth, Thank God!"

She looked over just as St. John weaved through the crowd of ship hands and skidded to a stop in front of her. Overwhelmed with love for her former servant, no her friend, she corrected herself, Marie ignored his hesitation to approach her and to everyone's slack-jawed surprise, jumped out of the rowboat and into the Santa Anna before it was completely anchored. She pulled her free arm around him with an enormous smile.

"St John!! I missed you so much!!"

The man immediately stiffened at the contact, but ignoring Lebeau's grumble and well-engrained rules of propriety, hugged her back. She eventually let go and tucked Raven under her arm. The poor thing was almost crushed. St. John looked at it questioningly. Raven looked at him similarly.

"I had no idea you were on board. How is poppa and Kitty?"

"They have been so troubled. Heartbroken really, but they are in Puerto Nuevo now, since Katherine arrived a few weeks ago. They will be so happy to see you again."

Lebeau tightened his jaw at the easy familiarity between the two. There were four ships presently searching the Caribbean and it was no secret St. John came on the one he commandeered because he didn't trust him. Ignoring McCoy's smirk, Lebeau leaped clumsily out of the rowboat and went straight to Marie Elizabeth's side. They were already knee deep in conversation about her family.

"Marie Elizabeth my dear, you must save the catching up for later. I have quarters waiting."

Marie tightened her grip on Raven and looked over at Logan. He was gone. Her heart sunk at not knowing where. About to ask, she was stopped by St. John's hand to her elbow.

"Yes, it's very late. That would be best."

Marie caught his strained voice and let herself get ushered along. To her great relief, St. John led her away from Lebeau. She didn't miss the civil yet hostile look they both exchanged, but wisely kept silent. Lebeau fumed as he was upstaged yet again. Standing on deck as he watched her being taken away by her ever-present chaperone, he ignored the men bustling around him and altered his plan yet again.



The minute Marie was in her new quarters, she slipped off Remy's coat and turned to St. John. He was struggling futily with Raven who had seemed to like him enough to start waddling back and forth between his shoulders.

"Marie Elizabeth, this is a most charming animal, but could you please…get it off?"

Marie thanked the men that settled her trunks in the corner of the expansive, well furnished room, and quickly closed the door behind them. Silently raising her arm to call Raven, she pet the bird a few times before walking to a tall clothes rack and settling him down with a few seeds. St. John stared at her oddly for a few minutes. This was not the girl he knew so well.

"Where did you learn to do that?"

Marie ignored his question and pushed him to sit down on a satin purple chase. She sat directly opposite him on the bed and absentmindedly eased on a robe that was folded over her pillows.

"St. John, do you love me?"

Shocked, the man's eyes widened and he turned a curious shade of crimson. Again, Marie had caught him completely unguarded. She stared at him directly, not wavering her gaze one bit.

"Well, umm, you see, umm Marie Elizabeth, yes, yes of course I…love you."

He managed to choke the words out and Marie smiled sadly.

"Thank you St. John, I love you too. My only regret is that I've never told you."

She looked down to her hands and struggled to get the rest out.

"I have been such a foolish girl for so long. All these years and I never told you."

St. John gulped uneasily. He had served Marie and Katherine since he was a boy, only slightly older then them, when he was found stealing a bottle of milk from their kitchen steps. Xavier, compassionate as ever, took him in, added the saint part to his name and appointed him a companion for his girls. He was eight and the girls had lost their mother. In no time the two meant the world to him and he was never too far from them.

At first he would fan them in the heat and fetch their games, then as they grew older, hold their carriages open and carry their packages when they went shopping, then as they matured, kept suitors at bay and escorted them to socials. It was the only life he knew and he was so grateful to have done it, because despite the fact that he wasn't family, he knew they loved him. She really didn't have to say it. Not knowing what to do with himself, St. John looked down at the floor between them. Marie continued in a unfamiliar but determined voice.

"And because I do, I trust you. So what I'm going to tell you, I say with complete trust."

Suddenly worried, St. John moved forward in his seat.

"You can tell me anything."

Marie nodded and looked up with glistening eyes.

"I am carrying Logan's child."

The worried eyes now became wide and panicked. St. John stood up stiffly.

"What did he do to you!"

Marie stood up also and caught the fisted hand at his side. Even though she was crying softly, her voice was strong and steady.

"No St. John, he didn't do anything. I am in love with him and I'm going to marry him, one way or another."

St. John shook his head, no doubt trying to process all that information. It seemed impossible somehow. He plopped back down on the satin. Marie Elizabeth and that man. The one that was so rude, uncultured and crass. The one who called her your majesty and made fun of them. The one who……who fought mercilessly for her while everyone stood around. The one who jumped onto a sinking ship to save her. The one that undoubtedly did all he could to keep her alive on that island for weeks. The one who had more honor than he had ever seen in a man before. Thoughts of his never to be had love for Katherine resurfaced sharply. Marie was with child, and despite the situation, Katherine would be ecstatic. St. John looked up into Marie's face and spoke in an almost whisper.

"What will you do?"

Marie smiled through her tears. Of course she trusted him. It was a given.

"I'll explain to Poppa, but I must see him now. He's hurt and Remy is furious. Please help me by helping him."

St. John cleared his throat and straightened out his thoughts. He would help Marie Elizabeth. How could he not? Katherine would expect him to. He stood, straightened out his waistcoat and started pacing, Marie watched carefully for his words. She could tell he was slightly ill, probably still the seasickness, but he must have improved significantly, like Bobby said he would once he got his sea legs.

"We are only three days from Puerto Nuevo. Katherine and your Father are there waiting. Does Lebeau know?"

Marie shrugged helplessly.

"He suspects. We haven't talked yet."

St. John shook his head and continued pacing.

"Not yet Marie Elizabeth. He is not a reasonable man and he has invested too much in finding you. Please hold your silence until you reach Master Xavier."

"But he'll seek me out, I don't want to give him the impression…"

"It's okay. I'll keep him at bay somehow and tell everyone you're ill. You'll stay in here as much as possible."

"Logan. He's hurt badly."

"I haven't seen him yet, but the crew of the Esmeralda was split among the four vessels searching. He's got friends on board. We have the first mate who knows some medicine and I'll try and go see him right now."

"I must see him. He must be so worried."

"Fine, give me an hour. It's late, so almost everyone will be asleep soon. I'll tell Lebeau you've retired and come get you."

He gave Marie one last look. She surprised him yet again by giving him another hug.

"Thank you."

St. John cleared his throat and straightened out his jacket again. Silenced with emotion, he offered a tight smile and stiffly walked out the door, leaving Marie to sit down on her soft bed again and wish for time to fly by.



Logan was undergoing a look over by McCoy when the inevitable question came up. It was Bishop, the giant man was folded into a chair across from Logan's bunk.

"Are you going to kill him?"

Logan tightened his lips and glanced at the first mate. The guy didn't even flinch cutting off the bandages, and he gave him credit for being stalwart at least. He seemed a good man. He had seen him in the fights. Figured everyone knew the gossip already. Nobody gossiped quite like sailors did.

"No. She decides."

Bishop nodded solemnly and McCoy finally looked up.

"That's very noble coming from the Wolverine."

Logan huffed and looked at the opposite wall to ignore the prodding at his side.

"That was then."

McCoy continued his work. Just as the final layer of bandages was lifted off, St. John knocked and walked in.

"I wish to have counsel with you Mr. Logan."

Logan's lips tightened again. He had seen Marie greet the younger man when she came on board. He was prepared for anything the chaperone might say to him.

"Speak."

Both McCoy and Bishop grinned at the obvious intimidation factor. So maybe he wasn't completely changed. St. John cleared his throat nervously and stepped forward.

"Miss Marie Elizabeth wishes to know how you're health is doing."

McCoy raised an eyebrow and spoke before Logan got a chance.

"Real good."

He pointed at the stitches and all three men leaned forward to peer at them.

"The best damn stitches I've ever seen, and no bleeding."

He pulled some of the threads that were no longer holding flesh together and reached for the fresh bandages to his side. Logan was amazed at the gentle and skillful ways the first mate moved his enormous hands. Not as good as Marie, but definitely talented.

"Very well then. I will convey that message and will return in an hour to discuss the award Xavier will bestow on you for your part in her recovery. Good night gentlemen."

He closed the door behind him and Bishop burst into hearty laughter. Logan wrinkled his brow.

"What the hell is he talking about?"

"It seems old man Xavier has opened the purse wide on this one."

Bishop glanced at McCoy who just grinned even wider. Probably figuring his hefty cut of the profits.

"We're all getting a handsome reward and you my friend will be receiving the biggest one of all."

Logan turned Bishop's words around. Reward? The only reward he wanted was Marie. And she had yet to come see him. Sighing grimly, he lay his head back and ignored the slight pain that the first mate elicited from his side. Seeing the change, Bishop stood.

"Don't worry Logan. She sees right through him."

Tightening the last of the knots, McCoy stood and gathered his things. Logan opened his eyes only wide enough to thank them. Wondering how exactly things would turn out for the Wolverine, both men left, leaving Logan to baste in thoughts of soft skin wrapped in velvet.



Logan awoke to the sounds of a soft squeak on the floor. For a minute, he was disoriented, the gentle sway of the moving ship unfamiliar. Then he remembered the escort, he must have fallen asleep.

"Who?"

"Shhh."

Marie walked quickly over the planked flooring and came to Logan's side. His eyes immediately focused on the white in her hair with the help of the bit of moonlight that still filtered through the round port window on the adjacent wall. Her hair was pinned back and she smelled of expensive perfumes. But it was her, all her.

"Ma…"

His words were cut short when her lips pressed against his. Surprised by their urgency, Logan's hands went to either sides of her face, returning the pressure in a wave of relief. When she finally pulled back, panting and smoothing his hair, he saw the tears glitter in the dim light.

"Don't cry darling, don't cry."

He pressed her to his bandaged chest and hardly felt the pain when she stretched out over him on the narrow bed. He had been given a stateroom of his own, but it was still tiny and bare compared to the one he knew Marie would have.

"I needed to see you."

Logan smiled into the dark. He hoped she would come. He felt foolish ever thinking she wouldn't.

"It's okay baby, I'm right here."

She lifted her face and found his again.

"You don't hate me do you?"

Logan closed his eyes and shook his head. His hands went to her waist. She was covered in satin again and guilt gnawed at him.

"No darling. I could never hate you. It's, it's this whole situation. I wasn't prepared to see him step onto that beach, and, and try to take you."

Marie felt the grip on her waist tighten.

"He means nothing to me Logan. I just want to avoid trouble. Three days, maybe less, we'll be home."

Logan's eyes clouded again.

"Home?"

Marie kept brushing at his hair with her fingers. His sides were rough. She didn't get a chance to shave him.

"Yes, our home. Me, you, and Raven."

He chuckled at that and Marie smiled at the familiar feel of his rumbling chest under her.

"How's he doing?"

"In love with St. John."

He laughed a little harder and Marie but a hand to his lips.

"We must be quiet."

Logan kissed at her fingers. It was hard to believe they had fallen asleep alone on their island just hours before and were now whispering on a ship among dozens of sleeping people. But it didn't matter. They were in each other's arms and caught in the moment, they both stared at each other, faces just an inch from one another. Relieved and happy to be reunited again, a question passed through them. The answer was unanimous. In response, Marie cautiously sat up, drawing a leg beside either side of his hips. Logan's hands moved from her waist up to knead her breasts, while she started to undo the long string of buttons that secured her robe.

Finally done, she shifted a little to remove the blanket that covered him from the waist down. By the feel of him hardening under her, she already knew that he was nude. Looking back up to see if he was in pain, Marie smiled as his hands grazed over her shoulders, bringing the yellow satin away from her body. To his delight she was wearing nothing underneath, and still kneading the flesh he loved to feel so much, Logan pulled her forward to press her warm body to his.

Marie moaned slightly and kissed him again. Even though his stubble was rough against her, she savored the feel of it, amazed that it could spark so much desire in her, so quickly. Logan's hands moved to her hair. It was still moist and pulled back with combs, but he needed it loose and flowing. Yanking the ivory combs out and letting them drop to the floor, he rumbled deep in his chest as a curtain of auburn fell over her face and brushed over him. Moving slightly to position his hips under hers, he pulled from their kiss when the pain shot through his side. Marie pulled back immediately.

"Logan?"

"No darling, I'm okay."

She looked a little unsure, but the look of total unabated lust that quickly replaced the pain in his features, spurred her on. Spreading her hands over his chest, she pressed into his neck. Logan caught his breath when he felt her warm tongue move over him. Pain instantly forgotten, he moved a hand to her apex, loving how her heartbeat immediately jumped up. Feathering his rough fingers slowly over delicate skin, he brought her lips to his again and wrestled her tongue with his. Feeling her panting increase when he finally slipped two fingers into her, Logan shifted again slowly and brought a hand to clutch her hip. Gently easing up, while she carefully eased down, they joined bodies in an all out effort to show their love.

Pressing her down to his chest, to muffle her panting with one hand tangled in her hair, Logan gritted his teeth at the warm, wet heat that embraced him. Running his hands down her body again, he settled them over her hips, where he aided her rhythm. Biting her lip to keep from crying out, Marie eased in and out of him, carefully avoiding too much pressure on his bandaged torso. Gripping his arms tightly, she swayed and moved excruciatingly slow while Logan grunted slightly with each downwards thrust.

They moved carefully for a long time, holding back the inevitable in an effort to stretch out their time together, but as the first pangs of sunlight began filtering through the port window, they clutched each other desperately and together met the pleasure that waited for them. Tired and numb, Marie settled over him again and damned the world for not letting her fall asleep by him. Eventually Logan's hands picked up her face and she stared sadly into his troubled features. Still slightly out of breath, Logan's words ruffled her hair.

"Marie darling, they can't find you here. You don't need a reputation like this."

She opened her mouth to protest, but was already pulled into a fierce kiss. Matching his desperation, Marie clutched at him tightly until a light knock at the door jarred them both. Instinctively Logan's arms went to shield Marie, but the door opened and closed quickly. It was St. John and with eyes closed, he whispered into the door.

"My lady, we have to go."

Logan growled.

"Get the hell out!"

"No Logan, it's okay. St. John knows. He'll help us."

Logan turned a confused look at Marie who was already climbing off him and reaching for her robe. St. John talked into the wall, voice high in anxiety.

"The crew is already up, Marie Elizabeth you must hurry."

"I know St. John, just a minute."

Logan eased to his side and watched Marie dress with a frown.

"Marie?"

She gave her slippers a final tug and threw her hair over her shoulder. Running over to Logan's side, she gave him a final kiss and breathed into his face.

"It's better this way Logan. Please don't be upset. Two days and we'll be home."

She looked back at St. John who was fidgeting like a maniac.

"I'll send word with St. John, you can trust him implicitly."

Giving him a final lingering kiss, she ran to St. John's side.

"Marie?"

She turned, still pinning her hair back. Even though he had just breathed it into her hair and against her neck dozens of times, he wanted to tell her he loved her. But he didn't want an audience either.

"First thing."

Marie blushed slightly in understanding. She gave him a warm smile.

"First thing."

St. John wondered briefly what that meant before peeling back the door and taking a cautious look around. Marie was still gushing at Logan so he pulled her out by the hand and made a dash to her room.



Lebeau closed the door of his stateroom quietly. There were worse rooms to have put the savage in, but he had wanted him to be close. And he had been right. She had sneaked in hours ago and seeing her leave with half her buttons done wrong and her hair all askew just a minute ago, Lebeau's suspicions were all confirmed. She had betrayed him. Only his plan had to include her accomplice as well. St. John was in on it, like he knew he would. He would barely allow him to touch her hand for months in England and now here he was, taking her to and from her lover. Quite the drastic change. He had to pay also. In time, they would all pay.