XII. Fiancés and Goodbyes

Lebeau was partaking of his final walk over the deck of the Santa Anna when the first mate interrupted his thoughts.

"Sir, the skipper just gave me an inventory report."

Lebeau waved his gloved hand without turning. He rubbed his temples with the other. The first mate thought it over carefully before giving his report. In almost three weeks as commander of the ship, Lebeau had proven to have a sore disposition that had the crew on edge. At least the pay was good, so they allowed themselves to be barked at by the nobleman, but they wouldn't take it much longer. If their livelihoods didn't depend on the fact that Xavier, the biggest origin of silver and work in the New World wasn't happy, the French nobleman would have bumped across a saber two and half weeks ago. That and the fact that there was a reward for the ship that found so much as a scrap of the girl's dress, were the only things that kept the usually easy going first mate from throwing the man overboard himself.

"Sir, the grain is almost gone and the stock of fresh water will be depleted in four days."

Lebeau raised his sights and waved the man away with a hand without looking at him.

"Leave me McCoy. I have no desire to hear dis."

The first mate didn't waste time expanding and turned to leave. Lebeau gnashed his teeth and gripped the rail of the deck with both hands. He did it every night, and despite the other ships combing the water, Lebeau knew he had to be the one that found her. Shaking his head in disbelief at the complete absurdity of the situation, Remy took out his pocket watch. Glancing at the hour, he snapped the gold disk shut and was about to turn to retire to his room when a flash caught his eye.

Lebeau peered into the dark waters, mind still discerning if what he had seen was an illusion. Missing his coat's watchpocket, the gold watch banged against the rail and dangled off it's chain, but the nobleman ignored it completely, because off in the distance the light flickered again, and his vision sharpening, Lebeau could make out the dark black outline of a mountain island in the slightly lighter backdrop of the navy sky.

"McCoy!!!! McCoy!!!!"

The first mate jumped from where he was securing the wheel at the helm and ran to the man that was practically hanging off the railing.

"Wha……"

McCoy's breath was cut short when Lebeau pulled him by the front of his shirt and pointed to the horizon.

"Look man!! Look!!"

McCoy followed the leather clad finger into the darkness, before turning his face back to Lebeau's. They stared at each other for a quick minute before both men grinned like fools and then jumped into action.



Marie awoke several times in the night, flinging her eyes open with Logan's slightest flinch. Even in his sleep, she could tell he was in pain. Checking his breathing and looking down to see if the bandages had seeped through, Marie would settle back into the velvet pillow they shared and fitfully go back to sleep.

But looking over at the corner of the hut, Marie noticed that it was Raven and not Logan that she had sensed this time. The bird fluttered his wings noisily a few times before flying out. Marie thought about that and went to call for him but was reluctant to do so because Logan might wake. Taking a moment to set her wits about her, she wrapped her hand around the knife that rested just a foot from her and stealthily stood and stepped out of the shelter.

She could make out mostly everything in the silvery moonlight. The fire was almost completely out, but even that glow helped a little. Crouched low, she scanned the strip of forest not too far off with the knife still tight in her hand. She could see no movement except for the sway of trees. Seeing no signs of visible tracks or eyes peering in the distance, Marie lifted her arm, silently calling for Raven. The bird settled on her forearm fast enough and cooing a soft word to his head, Marie turned to see how far the moon was over in the sky. What she saw instead were white sails billowing gently in the wind. Dropping the knife she had onto the sand, Marie let out a harsh gasp and clasped a hand over her cross.

"Logan! Logan!"

Marie ran into the shelter just as Logan flung his eyes open and grabbed for the knife that no longer slept by his side. There was panic in his wild look and Marie instantly regretted her outburst when she saw him grit his eyes in his sudden effort to get up.

"Marie, wh…agghhh"

"No Logan, It's okay, It's a ship, a ship!!"

Marie jumped to his side and Logan stopped his movement in an effort to understand. The bright look in Marie's eyes could only mean one thing.

"A ship?"

Marie nodded and caught his less than excited look.

"What's wrong Logan? We're going to be rescued! This is wonderful!"

Logan smiled weakly, still clutching his side.

"Of course, darling. But, it could be pirates."

The smile on Marie's face died out. Logan cradled her face gingerly, regretting he could take her smile away so fast. She still had nightmares about the Isabella.

"No baby, don't get upset. Were the sails out?"

Marie nodded blankly.

"Good, then help me to my feet."

She hesitated a little, but Logan was already tossing aside his blanket. Against better judgment, Marie helped him to his feet. He gritted his teeth at the sharp pain that took his breath away.

"Logan!"

"It's okay baby, just help me out."

Marie's eyes glistened in his pain and leaning his shoulder over hers helped ease him outside. Logan took one look at the sails that were now drawing closer and smiled through his pain.

"That's one of your father's ships. The Santa Anna. We need to add to the fire."

Marie turned to look at him with what could only be described as cold shock. Logan slid gingerly down to the cover of the rum trunk, out of breath from his exertion. Marie turned to look at the sails that were luminescent in the moonlight. Without a doubt, they were getting bigger.

"M-m-my father?"

Logan hissed through his teeth. The fact that he could make the outline of her pale body so sharply, reminded him of another fact. He opened the Jean trunk and leaned over for what was inside.

"Marie. Marie put this on, add to the fire darling."

She turned at the brush of fabric on her arm and blindly reached for his long sleeved shirt. Logan shook her a little, grumbling in pain at the movement.

"Marie, they might not stop, the fire."

She turned to look at the pained hazel eyes and quickly remembered what she needed to do. Throwing on the shirt, she bent to help Logan with his long abandoned trousers, but he raised an eyebrow at her. Marie jumped up.

"Right, the fire."

Reaching the fire pit, Rogue removed the spittoon and added the rest of the wood she had collected earlier. Still a little moist, it didn't reach the intensity they needed. With an eye on Logan, she ran into the shelter and brought out the two remaining sheets, still warm from their sleep. Soaking them with the last three remaining rum bottles she tossed them to the fire too. Instantly the blaze shot up and Logan turned at the heat that pelted his back. Even Raven cawed on his perch. Marie gave him a wry look and added palm leaves for smoke for good measure. Running to Logan, she finished buttoning his pants for him.

"Logan we're going to be rescued!"

He was dizzy with pain, but Logan chuckled at her excitement nevertheless. He had to admit he was going to miss the place, but home was anywhere Marie was. She gave him a kiss and turned to look at the ship, it was still miles away but they could clearly see it's approach. Logan grabbed at Marie's waist. She sat next to him on the trunk and leaned on his shoulder. The moon was hanging low on the sky and the reality of the situation hit them both.

"They'll anchor soon and send a boat."

Marie nodded mutely. His hand had slipped to her stomach and she knew he was feeling the doubts that always plagued him.

"First thing, remember?"

Logan looked down at her face and thought back when he asked her to be his wife. Her eyes were wide and soft and so full of meaning. He choked down his urge to kiss her and swallowed hard. It's what he wanted, but she would loose so much in doing so.

"Yes Marie, first thing."

She buried her face into him again and Logan struggled with the urge to cry. Just as he said, the ship was close now and it dropped anchor. They heard the splash clearly in the breezy night and taking his cue, Logan pulled her back slightly.

"Marie, they'll be all kinds of questions and……"

Marie stared at him and knew immediately something was wrong.

"Please don't tell me you'll leave me."

Logan stopped breathing at the words. They hurt more than his side. He cupped her face.

"No, darling, no. But we have to be careful. You, you…"

Marie stood up and clutched the cross at her heart.

"Logan no, I love you. I don't care who knows it. I don't. They could think what they want."

He raised a hand to catch her arm. He knew exactly what kind of scandal was going to hit her, but she didn't. And she was so happy a minute ago. She deserved that. To be happy to be going home. Two more splashes hit the dark waters. Just another ten minutes and the only paradise he had ever known would be breached.

"Okay Marie, we'll let them know, but promise me you'll wait until you see your family. Until you're with your father."

Marie shook her head in understanding and moved to cradle his head to her chest. He was worried for her, but she knew her father. If anybody would understand, he would. Kissing the gauzy fabric bunched at her stomach and running his hands up her thighs slowly, Logan pulled away again. He smiled up into her face, vaguely wondering if she would still run her hands through his hair later on.

"Collect your things darling, you're going home."

She smiled widely again, having missed the pronoun and gave the approaching rowboats another look before running to collect everything they had into the Jean trunk. In reality they had almost nothing out, but she bustled around busily taking all her plants, shells, and things. The only thing that wouldn't fit was the walking stick and she could carry that. When she finally stuffed the velvet sheet back into the trunk where it had originated from, she looked up excitedly at Logan. He was petting Raven.

"Logan, what about Raven?"

Logan's gaze didn't waver from the approaching boats. The happiest he had ever been. He blinked furiously and spoke low.

"You couldn't leave him if you tried, darling."

Marie pet the bird too, looking over at the water also.

"But he'll miss it here. This is his home."

Logan snorted thoughtfully.

"His home is with you."

Marie stared at Logan's grim words. They were dripping with sadness and she didn't quite know why, but her time to ponder it was gone. With a grunt, he made an effort to stand and took two cautious steps forward on the sand.

The first rowboat had almost hit the beach. Each had three men. Someone was pulling it, and in any place he would recognize the enormous frame of his former bunkmate. Marie stood up expectantly and tugged at the open collar of Logan's shirt. In no time at all, the enormous man she had once stepped on, ran up to greet Logan with a hearty laugh. The others were still wedging the boat into the sand and the second wasn't even on the beach yet.

"Logan, you sea dog! I knew you would be alive."

"Bishop. You still owe me from the last fight."

The man's dark eyes ran to Marie, who put Raven on her shoulder and timidly yanked at her short hem. Logan stretched his hand to her. She walked into his embrace. Even bandaged and hurt, nothing felt safer than Logan's hard chest.

"You remember Marie."

The giant man smiled at her and Marie saw how genuinely happy he was to see them.

"How could I forget? Was she the one that hurt you this time?"

Marie blushed and Raven cawed. She felt awkward but Logan was happy again. She felt it on the easy grip he had on her waist and the low chuckle that reverberated in through her back.

"Ma-reee."

All three burst into laughter, but before Marie could excuse her bird, a voice called from the beach. A chill that even Logan felt, ran down her back. She gasped as the man whose ring still lay at the bottom of the ocean, ran to her in his tall leather boots.

"Marie Elizabeth! I have found you!"

Pushing past Bishop, who just grinded his teeth, Lebeau stopped short at the sight of a fiancé he was not prepared to see. Immediately uncomfortable, Marie took a small step away from Logan. Greatest nightmare come true, Logan tensed. He had hoped so much for his Marie to see her family again, but the French bastard was never in any of his thoughts. He had hoped, but there he was, as well dressed and undeniable as ever. He felt the deepest part of his stomach turn in fear. Bishop saw his friend's fists clench and felt along his side for his weapon in case of trouble. He found it so odd that Logan apparently didn't have his. That blade was practically an extension to the hand of the man he knew – before the girl.

"Remy! What are you doing here?"

The tall man ran his gaze down her body and didn't fail to catch the hand that was at her waist. Giving the savage a hostile look, he swallowed his hurt pride and extended his hand to her. She didn't take it. He dropped it with clenched fists and straightened his back even further.

"I have searched the seas for you Marie Elizabeth. Were you expecting any less?"

Marie choked on her words, as the rest of the men approached and stood a little ways off. Her proximity to Logan and his possessive stance on her wasn't lost on anyone and they each knew that it was her fiancé that had made their life hell to find her. Feeling completely naked in the thigh length shirt, Marie faltered under so many eyes. Raven sensed her distress and cawed loudly, flapping her hair around some.

"Of course Monsieur. This is all a shock, I assure you."

Logan huffed in disbelief. Two seconds with the asshole and already she was speaking to him like he was royalty. Marie turned and saw Logan's disgusted expression. She choose to ignore it and with glassy eyes stumbled on.

"You remember Mr. Logan. H-he saved my life, but he's hurt and needs medical attention."

Remy smiled grimly at the savage. His worst suspicions were immediately confirmed by the look of sheer hatred in the other man's eyes. Even in the flickering firelight, he could make it out clearly. Flexing his gloved hands, he shook his long coat off. He was not going to let the savage make a fool of him in front of these men.

"We'll discuss that later my dear, please."

Marie didn't step into the open coat, rather reached for it and slipped it on, while Raven patiently crossed from one of her shoulders to the other. Sensing that neither man was happy with her gesture, McCoy cleared his throat from where his crew were exchanging knowing glances. They all knew of the Wolverine either by reputation in silver fighting or first hand. McCoy himself had earned lots of money whenever the Wolverine was in port, but they were all genuinely shocked that hurt or not, he hadn't gutted the prissy French asshole over the girl already.

"We have to hurry, a storm looks like it's headed to these waters."

All eyes fell on the first mate. Thanks to Bobby, even Marie knew that wasn't true. But Bishop looked at McCoy and for the first time in his life, thought it was a good idea to avoid a fight.

"Do you have anything to take back Miss?"

Marie tore her eyes from Remy and turned to the large man with a shaky voice. It felt so odd to be expected to give orders again.

"Yes please. Those trunks and my walking stick, thank you."

Her voice faded to nothing and the other four men went to help Bishop, leaving just Logan and Lebeau to stare at each other grimly. Lebeau finally stepped forward in his immaculately white shirt that ruffled in the breeze and went to take Marie's hand. Both Raven and Logan protested with a jerk. Marie stepped back flush against Logan and spoke up in her plaintive voice. The rum trunk walked past them.

"Please Monsieur, this was our home…must say goodbye."

Knowing he could not force the issue, Lebeau bowed to her slightly and walked down the stretch of beach to pace by the boats in agitation. His plan had to be adjusted and fighting to control his urge to put a bullet in the savage, Lebeau worked tracks into the sand and tugged at the unbearably hot collar he was wearing.

Marie turned to face Logan's hard gaze. He was hurting. She had hurt him. It took a second for her to realize that he was staring at the fine coat she had draped on. He hadn't spoken since Remy showed.

"Logan, I didn't want a disagreement."

He closed his eyes briefly and Marie didn't know if it was her words or his side. Both seemed painful. He raised his hands to her shoulders but just kept them hovered over her. Raven grew very still. Marie closed her eyes and looked down. He didn't even want to touch her.

"Let's just say goodbye."

Marie nodded and turned to look at the men carry away the Jean trunk. All that was left was the shelter and the fire-ring. Traces that would be gone given enough time. Despite their tumultuous emotions, each felt a wave of nostalgia wash over them. Almost a month, and they had shared so many memories. It was a shame they couldn't see the waterfalls one last time, or at least a sunset out over the rocks. The breeze in the wan moonlight blew, bringing Marie's streaks to fly to Logan's face. He caught the long strands and pressed it to his lips. So soft. He recalled the feel of her skin under his hands and under his lips. Softer even than her hair.

Without saying a word or caring who noticed, Logan stretched a hand into the coat she was wearing and settled it over her stomach. Marie closed her eyes and leaned her head back on his chest. Even Raven stilled. He might have known that that was goodbye for him also. Placing her hand over his, Marie let a tear escape her eyes. Too full of emotion to talk, they quietly took in the sway of the forest, the hum of crickets, the gentle slopes of the sand littered with the occasional shell, the sound of the never-ending surf, the smell of greenery and salt. They basked in all those senses before quietly turning and walking towards the men waiting at the two boats hand in hand.

Seeing the difficulty he had walking, Bishop trotted back over to Logan's side to offer support. Practically carrying the man, Marie let Bishop move ahead when she remembered her walking stick. Running the short distance back, she grabbed it and took the remaining seeds Raven had on his perch into her pocket. Hit with an ache deep in her chest, Marie bent down and wrote two names in the sand. Satisfied that she had named their island one last time, Marie ran back to the shore. To her great disappointment, Logan was in the boat that was already pulling away, stretched out on the red leather of the rum trunk. Head raised slightly to follow her form.

"Marie Elizabeth come along."

Lebeau grabbed her arm and ushered her back towards the second waiting boat. Not letting McCoy help her on board, Lebeau lifted her in and sat her down stiffly at the end. Raven protested loudly at Lebeau's proximity, but Marie brought him down to her lap and petted him softly. The two men behind them moved in unison to drag the oars in and through the water. The soft slurping sound was the only thing she heard. That and Lebeau. He was busily chatting about searching and marriage and her father. She was oblivious to all of it. Marie's complete awareness was fixed on the hazel eyes some yards ahead of her. The ones clouded in pain and uncertainty. Just like her own, wanting, wondering, and waiting for what would happen next.