XI. Blood and Guardparrots

The first thing Marie did was take a quick inventory of Logan's injuries. Taking the last half bottle of water they had, she carefully tore off a piece of her skirt to wipe away some of the blood. With a tearless sob, she realized they were extensive. The most serious was the one on his left side. It ran deep into the muscle and was bleeding a dark red. The one in his chest was not as deep and apparently missed his heart. The initial ones to the shins and calves, didn't break any bones, but certainly meant he wouldn't walk for some time.

Still smoothing and wiping, Marie came to the dire realization that the wound to Logan's side would not stop bleeding. Running to fetch her tablecoth blanket, Marie leaned into him and pressed into his side for what seemed like hours. She hadn't really allowed herself to look, but straining against his side she peered into his face. Immediately, the tears welled up again, but she shook her head and forbade them to fall. She had to be strong. But looking at Logan's sweaty and blood stained features, she felt her entire confidence shake.

What if he didn't wake up? What if he died on this island? What if her baby never knew his father? What if she was all alone? Squeezing her eyes tight, Marie shut the thoughts from her mind. She was dizzy, hungry, and scared, but the adrenaline in her body would help keep her going. She opened them again and cautiously pulled away the crumpled sheet. It was soaked in blood and in the dimming firelight, Marie saw that the flow had slowed but hadn't stopped. He was losing too much blood, and deep in her memory, Marie recalled that all the patients that died at the charity hospital where she volunteered, mostly died from bloodloss or infection.

Dropping the soaked blanket, Marie brought her bloodied hands to her temples, staining her white streaks red in the process. She needed to think. She needed to remember. Then it hit her. It was the only way he could live. Dropping her hands limply to her side, Marie looked around at the bloody and foul smelling camp. Finding her innermost resolve, she jumped into action.

Taking the three ragged petticoats that she had discarded so long ago, Marie moved to each of the boar carcasses to wrap and dispose of them. Securing them in what was once the finest lace produced in France, she grabbed at the beast's hind legs and began dragging them away from the yellow circle of light that marked human life on the island. Straining and sweating, she moved as quick as her body could carry her. When she reached the last smoldering one, she held her breath and moved even quicker. It was probably as heavy as her, but Marie gritted her teeth and pulled hard. When the bodies were three white lumps, resting side by side in the dark, Marie ran wearily back to the camp.

Now late into the night, the halo the fire offered was smaller and smaller. Glancing painfully at Logan's still lifeless body, she brought out the last of the wood that they had and raked the fire anew. Within minutes the halo grew in brightness and Marie went into the shelter to drag one of the thatched mat out. Setting it by the fire, she moved to face Logan. Rushing to his side, she fell to her knees and smoothed away the blood splattered on his face with shaking hands. Inevitably, a few tears escaped, falling on his stained and still face. She kissed his lips reverently.

"I love you Logan, please hold on."

Tearing herself away while she still could, Marie swallowed her anguished sob and ran to the rum trunk. Swinging on her sling, she gathered the remaining empty rum bottles in it and grabbed the leather fold. Picking up Logan's walking stick and the water sleeves, she ran to where she had dropped the shaving blade before. It was covered in blood and clinging bits of tissue. Quelling the urge to throw up, Marie grabbed it by the handle and wiped each side once on her tattered skirt. Clean, she slid it into the leather fold and tightened it securely. Task done, she was about to straighten out, when she heard a caw. Instinctively gripping the blade tighter with widened eyes, she gasped in relief when she saw Raven stoop down from the sky, colorful wings gliding down to meet her. She dropped both the stick and the blade.

"Oh Raven, you're back."

It settled on her forearm and Marie gave it an impetuous kiss on his red head feathers. He must have returned and been waiting for her when the boar came and scared him off. An idea occurred to her. She walked the bird over to Logan and set it down by him.

"Looo-gan, Looo-gan."

Marie tied her hair back into a knot and sniffled. It was one of the three words he knew.

"Yes, it's Logan. You must stay here Raven. You must watch over him."

She looked at the bird to see if it understood. It ruffled it's feathers and bobbed his head up and down. He was settling in. Relieved that he would at least stay, Marie took off her chain and placed it in Logan's bloody fingers. Leaping to her feet, she grabbed her stick and the wrapped blade and ran off into the darkness.



The glass tinkled in her sling, but Marie ran hard. She was pretty sure there were more boar on the island, and the last thing she wanted was for them to smell the carnage in the camp and approach Logan while she was away. Her feet slipping in the sand, she grimaced when she stepped over the residue of the shell perimeter. Spotting the tree Logan had been teaching her to throw an axe before the storm came, Marie made a quick detour, sliding the blade into the sash at her waist and coming to a skid when she was before it. Bracing herself with a foot on the trunk, she wedged the axe out and turned it a few times in her hand.

It felt good. Safe. Taking off again at full speed, Marie entered the tropical forest neither she nor Logan had ever walked at night. Luckily she knew the paths well, having traveled them almost every day. Not thinking of the dangers another boar would present, she ran blindly. Occasionally tripping over roots or leaves still slippery from the rainstorm, Marie trudged forward, axe swinging by her side, stick feeling the space before her, using the slight illumination of the half moon still covered in lingering storm clouds to guide her.

In little under twenty minutes, Marie reached her hour long destination. Heaving and panting, she fell to her knees on the rock Logan had made love to her on a lifetime ago. Still suppressing the tears, she uncorked and filled the bottles and the sleeves. Taking some of the herbs that grew nearby, she stooped over the rush of water for a long drink herself. Her body was hot from the excursion, but now partially wet, Marie felt a chill run through her. The air was still cool. Not wanting to waste a second of precious time, Marie ignored her body's complaints and ran out of the clearing, crossing the jungle back from where she came. Keeping an ear out for Raven's call, she went at full speed but was moving much slower from the weight of the water and the exhaustion that was slowly consuming her.

When Marie finally reached the beach, sweating and out of breath, the moon was low in the sky. Ignoring the ache in her shins and the jab in her side, Marie clambered over to Logan's side, dropping her things before she reached him. Raven cawed loudly at her arrival. She put a hand to his throat. He was taking shallow breaths. The blanket at his side was completely soaked in red now. A few tears leaked out again. She wiped at them impatiently.

"Don't worry Logan, I won't let you leave me."

Looking at the distance she had to cover with a weary look, Marie took a deep breath and moved behind Logan taking a firm grip under his armpits and shoulders. At first he didn't budge at all, and she yanked again. Eventually he moved and practically feeling his wounds rip again, Marie closed her eyes and pulled Logan with all her might the fifteen feet she needed to reach the mat by the fire. Finally seeing him settle somewhat onto the green mat, Marie let go and fell on her behind, exhausted beyond comprehension. To her dismay all of his cuts started bleeding again, and scrambling to her feet again she went to get everything ready.

With shaky hands, Marie moved the spittoon by her, the blade that she washed at the waterfall, an assortment of shells holding her varied concoctions, all of the rags and clothing she had available, the remaining five bottles of rum and a little porcelain box, she had kept tucked safely at the bottom of the Jean trunk. Finally settling next to Logan and the raging fire, Marie steadied her breathing and opened the painted porcelain box gingerly. Inside was a set of gold needles and an assortment of natural linen thread.

Marie opened a bottle and flooded the porcelain box with rum. Taking the shaving blade out of it's leather wrap, she gave it a few sharpening passes on it's accompanying stone like she had seen Logan do before. Satisfied that it was sharp enough, she dropped it onto a flat shell and covered it in rum also. Clenching her teeth tightly, she removed the blanket at his side next. The blood was still flowing and trying to remember everything she had ever heard or seen the surgeons say at the charity hospital, Marie cleaned the cut again with water before taking a rag soaked in rum. She looked sadly at Logan's still face illuminated to clarity by the fire raging next to them.

"I'm sorry Logan, but I have to do this."

Bringing the rum to his ravished flesh, she washed it as best she could with a grimace. Taking the soaking needles out of the porcelain box, she threaded both carefully and closed her eyes to prepare herself. Summoning all the needlepoint skills she ever had to her tired and sore hands, Marie descended on Logan's side to stitch up the damage the giant boar had inflicted.



Done stitching some hours later, Marie peered over her shoulder to the brightening sky over the water. Dawn was fast approaching and fighting the sleep that fought to overwhelm her, Marie finished cutting the last threads with the blade and reached over to shred more bandages. Wrapping remnants of Jean's nightgowns around his torso and legs, Marie finally sat back and contemplated Logan's face. He was still unconscious and as the hours passed, Marie didn't know if that was good or not.

Rinsing her hands in the bloody rum by her, Marie took a scrap of fabric and soaked it in lavender and calendula scented water. Tenderly passing it over his body, Marie cleaned Logan as best she could. Gathering his loose hair to the back, she peered again at the horizon. The sky was bright now, bringing with it the island's typical heat. Marie ran her eyes over all the bandages. The bleeding had slowed significantly but she needed to keep Logan in the shade.

Standing after hours of kneeling, Marie bent over Logan's head and pulled at the mat he was laying on. Using the last bit of strength she had, Marie slowly eased him across the distance and into the shelter. Pushing everything in there to the side, she tucked the blue velvet pillow under his head and lay down on the thatched floor next to him. Positioning his hands carefully by his side, Marie paused when her gold chain fell out of Logan's fingers. Picking it up slowly, she tucked it back in and looked up at Logan's face. Flashes of the first time she woke up on the island and thought he was dying passed through her mind. She had pressed a hand over his heart and fallen asleep tiredly by his side, only to wake up fighting again.

Kissing his still lips, Marie ran a finger past Logan's features and finally released the tears she had choked back all night long. Her body ached from exhaustion and her soul felt heavy in it's sorrow. They had come so far. They had loved so much. Sobs shook her completely. Letting the horror of the whole experience run through her, Marie carefully tore off her stained and torn slipdress and threw it outside, tucking carefully into Logan's side. Moving the hand that held the cross to brush against her belly, like he had been doing so much recently, Marie slipped her hand over his bandaged chest. To her great surprise, she could make out his heartbeat and still crying softly, Marie smiled and closed her eyes, yielding to an unsteady sleep.



Lost in a tangle of dark twirling waters that smelt of blood, Marie woke up with a start. She had forgotten the previous night's events completely, but seeing the bandages on Logan reminded her instantly. She reached up to touch his face and he was still immobile. Feeling her heart sink, she moved a shaky hand to his throat. His heartbeat was threaded but there. Sitting up with tears in her eyes, Marie looked around. She had taken his loincloth off when she cleaned him. Taking one of the two blankets that were left, she covered him up cautiously and headed out to face the wreckage of their camp in the bright sun.

Spotting the three white, frilly lumps not to far off, Marie clasped her hand over her stomach. There was so much to do, but first things first. Finding the tortoise shell bowl they kept by the sleeves, Marie grabbed one of the last fruit and chewed thoughtfully while sitting on the Jean trunk. Logan had told her she was eating for two a few days before. Rubbing her stomach again she sighed deeply. Their child.

Tossing the plum seed into the fire pit, Marie shook her head of those thoughts and began to strategize a plan. Because of the two day storm, they were low on everything. She needed to get rid of the carcasses, get rid of everything stained in blood, fetch water, more food, maybe catch dinner in case Logan woke up, chop more wood, wash everything she could use as bandages and reinforce a perimeter again. Marie looked up at the sun. It was almost midday and although she had only slept a few hours, she only had seven or eight before it was dark again. Ignoring the pain in her calves and the dull ache in her arms, Marie gathered some seeds and walked over to Raven to explain his part of the plan.

"Raven, Raven,"

The bird swooped down to her outstretched hand and cawed happily. She feed him seeds.

"Ma-reee, Ma-reee."

"Yes Raven, it's Marie and I have a job for you."

"Yessss, Yessss."

"Raven you have to stay here and watch Logan. He's hurt and I have to go do things."

"Looo-gan, Looo-gan."

She gave him more seeds with a smile. The bird had never used all of his three word vocabulary at once before.

"Yes Raven, stay and watch him. You're a guardparrot now."

He responded by whistling and cawing some more. He was apparently talked out. Marie pet him softly before setting the seeds on the perch and moving to check up on Logan one last time. Pushing the entrance curtain back, she stepped inside and swallowed painfully. Bending over him, she placed a soft kiss on his forehead and smoothed back his dark hair.

"I have to go Logan, but I'll be back soon, and Raven is staying here with you."

Feeling the tears threaten, Marie gave him a final kiss on each eyelid and stood up.

"I love you."



Walking out of the shelter, Marie wiped at her tears and took a redeeming breath of fresh air. Walking over to where she had dropped it, Marie bent over and grabbed the axe. Clad only in her lacy bottoms, Marie used Logan's old belt to hold it in the small of her back. Remembering that she had to fetch the knife that was left on the rocks, she gathered all of the bloody sheets and stained clothes into a bundle, the tortoiseshell at her hip and started towards the rock outcropping on the westend beach with a final look at Raven.

Returning a few hours later with washed linens and over a dozen crabs in the trap, Marie stopped and collected as many shells as she could find. Setting the spittoon back in it's stand over the fire, she boiled the linens in what was left of the fresh water, adding all the plants she knew or even suspected were medicinal. Leaving the crabs to claw at each other noisily in the trap under shade, she exchanged the axe at her back for a knife at her side and went off to collect more shells. Making several trips that filled the giant tortoiseshell many times over, Marie looked in at Logan every chance she got.

Dragging the carcasses of the boar further away, she lay down a new perimeter line of crushed and cracked shells next. Working with tears in her eyes, she looked at their only defense and decided she couldn't take any more chances. Smashing the five empty rum bottles that remained with the axe, Marie sprinkled glass over the perimeter as well. Satisfied that it would have to suffice, she laid out all the linens in nearby trees to dry and set out for the waterfall to bathe and fetch more food and water. When she returned, her streaks shining white once again, it was already mid-evening and she had yet to collect firewood.

It was the task she least wanted to do, but knowing that she had used all of the reserves while working on Logan at night, she had no choice. Swinging the metal tiredly for close to an hour, she was finally able to cut down a branch that Logan had been felling. Dragging it slowly though the sand back to camp, she was shocked to hear Raven's loud cawing. Terror instantly filling her, Marie sprinted forward with a hand at her side. Unsheathing the knife, she leaped over the newly dangerous perimeter and quickly scanned around. Raven was cawing loudly on his perch.

"Raven!!"

It flew to her and settled on her shoulder just as Marie pulled back the curtain. Logan's pain-filled hazel eyes stared back at her. Strangely enough he had on the widest grin.

"Logan! Oh my god, Don't move!"

She quickly fell to his side and Raven reiterated his name in the corner. Logan chuckled real low. He couldn't ever remember the bird coming inside the hut before. But Marie's fluttering soon took precedence. She was kissing all over his face.

"Marie, Marie darling, I'm okay."

Just then a coughing spell hit him and she reached for the last bottle of water by his side.

"Here drink this."

She brought it carefully over his lips and poured some over them. Logan couldn't sit up but was more than glad for the trickle that soothed his throat. He coughed a little more, the pain in his side making it an excruciating effort. Marie stared at him, concern making her eyes glisten.

"Logan, lie back, please."

He eased back onto the velvet pillow and brought a hand to his side. The chain was still wrapped in it. When the pain subsided he opened his eyes again.

"Were you hurt?"

Eyes half closed in pain, Logan brought his hand to cradle her face. She shook her head no and showered his hand with kisses. He had seen her walk in with the knife in her hands before she dropped it.

"How did?

"Shhhhh. Don't worry. I laid another perimeter, they're not coming back. The three are dead."

Logan moved his hand down onto her neck, grazed by her breast and settled on her hip. She looked exhausted. He had seen her kill one, but he found it so hard to believe she had gotten the other two as well. Thoughts of the baby flashed through his mind.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Marie shook her head yes, the action making tears spill down to her lap. She ignored them and clutched at his hand again.

"I'm okay, just tired."

Her eyes moved down to his bandages. They didn't have red stains on them, but she had to change them nevertheless. Despite the warm air, he felt cool to the touch.

"Logan you lost so much blood, I stitched you up as best I could, but you had a very deep gash on your side. I want to take a look at it.

Logan nodded, still a little dizzy from the pain.

"Does it hurt real bad?"

He smiled slightly. He was used to ignoring lots of bumps and bruises. It came with the territory when you fought for silver, but that beast had done a number on him. Got him good.

"A little."

Marie frowned at his bravado and Raven cawed in his corner.

"I'll get some things. Are you hungry?"

Logan shook his head no and grabbed her hand before she left. He slowly took the chain that was still there and pressed it into her palm.

"Put this on Marie. It belongs on you."

Wiping at her tears, Marie slipped it over her head and pulled back the curtain completely, so Logan could get some sun at least. She came back almost instantly. Wiping her hands with rum, she kneeled by Logan's side.

"This is going to hurt some."

Logan nodded in understanding and thought back to the night he had told her the same thing. When Raven scratched her shoulder. It was the day he took her for the first time. His smile turned into a grimace at the feel of moist bandages being peeled back from raw skin, Logan squeezed Marie's hand reassuringly. She peeled it all off and looking at the intensity in her face, Logan understood why he loved her so much. She was the bravest person he knew.

"Logan, I'm going to clean it now."

He grunted an agreement and braced for the burn that followed the swish of the bottle. He saw stars for a few minutes, but easing down on the mat again, took Marie's hand.

"Finish."

She wiped her brow and continued. Eventually the wound was dry again and Marie started ripping new bandages from the linens that had dried. Logan watched her work in silence with a clenched jaw. She was suffering all right, but she was all business too. Taking a drink of the rum to ease the pain it had just inflicted, Logan reached out to her. Marie tied the last of the bandages by his calf when she looked up and took his hand.

"All done."

Logan took another drink and pressed Marie to his side. With her breasts brushing him and her hair in his hands, he instantly felt better.

"Thank you."

Marie kissed his shoulder and leaned in. It was the most relaxed she had felt in forever. Breathing a deep sigh of relief, she allowed herself to believe that Logan was going to be alright. Within seconds she was fast asleep. Logan let her nap for a full hour, slowly easing the pain with a little rum and feeling her soft skin under his hand. When she woke with a start, he clutched her tight. She had been making whimpering noises. Logan knew she had been dreaming about the boar. Attempting to move and only finding blinding pain, Logan settled back, feeling utterly useless to make things better for her.

"Logan, don't try to move. I'll get it, what do you need?"

Marie flipped her hair back, and looked at him fearfully. Logan clenched his jaw.

"Nothing, darling, it's just the pain."

Marie's eyes darkened. And she looked outside. It was late evening and he hadn't eaten yet.

"I'll start a fire. You need to eat, to get your strength back."

Logan held her in place.

"I'm okay. I`ll be up in a few days."

Marie cradled his face tenderly and planted a kiss on his jaw. She needed to shave him.

"Let me take care of you Logan. You've done nothing but risk your life and take care of me. Let me do this."

Logan dropped his gaze. He hated the idea of being catered to, but it was true. The sooner he healed the better it would be. He took a peak at how she stitched him. The knots were tight and small and they hadn't smelled bad or drained, which were the first signs of infection. If he ate and rested he would be good in a few days. He offered her a tight smile. It earned him another kiss on the jawline.

"I was bringing in firewood. I'll be back soon."

Logan watched her walk off and pick up the axe along the way. For a minute it struck him odd, but then he remembered the look on her face when she brought down the first boar. Brave. Feeling useless and restless, Logan waited patiently for her return while petting Raven absentmindedly. The bird was actually growing on him and in the dimming twilight, he was comforting.

When she finally returned carrying pieces of branch, he opened his eyes and focused on her every move. It took her a few tries, but she relit the fire, and occasionally looking over at him and offering a smile, separated the crab legs and set them to boil. Coming back to clear the hut of the used bandages she offered him another kiss and set down the tortoiseshell of scented water next to him.

"Lavender?"

"Yes, it's lavender."

Remembering the time on the Esmeralda she cleaned him up with rosewater, Logan smiled and watched Marie's breasts sway as her hands moved a cloth all over his body. She noticed his regard and colored slightly.

"You're enjoying this."

Logan grinned a little wider. He was ticklish on his side.

"Yup."

She rinsed the cloth and passed it one last time over his belly. He tightened the grip he had on her hip. She moved up to smooth back his hair, but it was the mischief in his eyes that caught her attention.

"I'm glad you're feeling so well Logan, but we can't."

"Why not?"

Her eyes went real wide and she turned even redder.

"Because it'll kill you."

Logan chuckled and brought her face to meet his. She kissed him willingly enough, but it was true. He could barely move from pain and was half drunk already. Maybe later she'd change her mind though. Moving back, Marie brought a hand to her lips and smiled. Without another word, she collected her things and went to check on dinner. Coming back a few moments later with fresh pineapple juice, sliced mango and tons of red crab legs, Rogue helped Logan sit up some and started to feed him.

They ate in calm silence, each enjoying the company of the other, fully aware that they had been so close to losing it. Even Raven seemed strangely complacent, choosing to stay tucked in a corner of the hut rather than outside on the perch. Eventually Marie stepped out to clean the cooking things and rake the fire one last time. Grabbing the book he requested and she had left on the beach the night before, Marie settled in next to Logan, who now well fed and still half drunk, felt significantly better.

She opened the book to the chapter he left off on, bring the bookmark to each of their noses for a sniff first. Reading for him as the last of the daylight and most of the firelight faded, Marie breathed easy knowing that Logan would be okay. His grip on her tightened as she felt him relax and checking to see if the knife was securely by her other side, Marie cuddled closer, loving the feel of his warm hand on her belly. They both drifted to sleep in the warm breeze, just as the sails of the Santa Anna cleared the horizon several miles off shore in the seascape they were now so familiar with.