X. Lavender and Survival

The storm was over in the late afternoon hours of the second day. Logan and Marie emerged from their home to find the world they had settled into, completely rearranged and swept anew. Sand littered everything, and palm leaves and overturned trees randomly covered their stretch of the beach. Logan circled his arm around Marie's shoulder reassuringly while surveying the changes to the landscape.

"Don't worry darling, Raven's fine, he'll come back when it clears up completely."

Marie looped an arm around his waist and pulled stray strands of white from her face. The wind was still gusting quite strong and ever since his wing healed and she had removed the bandage, Raven had been more and more prone to leaving for hours at a time.

"I hope so."

She tucked into the crook of Logan's shoulder contemplatively. The surf was more tumultuous than she remembered seeing it. Thoughts of falling endlessly into twirling black waters flashed through her mind. Inadvertently, a shiver ran through her, and Logan tightened his grip on her shoulder.

"It's okay Marie. We just need to clean up a little."

His free hand moved to the warm soft skin of her abdomen. The harsh, tanned fingers stood in direct opposition to the delicate, pale skin. Kneading her softly, he moved his lips down to brush hers. Marie rested her hand on his unyielding chest and gave herself into his caress. It had been like that the entire time they had been holed up in the shelter. He was as urgent and passionate as ever, but a new tenderness was found in his every move to touch her. He didn't want to hurt her, and it warmed Marie's heart to know he could be so genteel and doting. Settling on his chest to hear his heartbeat, Marie sighed again and brought the fingers rubbing her belly to her lips for a quick kiss.

"It'll be dark soon, we should get started then."

Logan kissed the shiny white streaks and moved to start a fire. For the first time he could remember the night wind felt cool and he didn't want Marie chilled. They had nothing but a few fruits left and a little bit of water, but it was already too late to go fetch either one. Only one thing to do.

"I'm going down to the beach to set the trap. Maybe we could catch something."

Marie nodded and moved to take the crab trap from the rum trunk. She set the things down and sat to silently watch Logan light the fire. When the soaked logs finally started smoking, he moved to collect his things, brushing his hand slightly over her leg. Logan sheathed his knife at his side and contemplated Marie folded onto the sand. He could tell she was a little nauseous and hopped that a little seafood would perk her up. She looked more frail somehow.

"Maybe you should put something on."

Rubbing her arms slightly, Marie offered a half smile.

"I think I'll do that."

She stood and gave him a peck on the collarbone.

"Good luck."

He returned the crooked smile and walked off towards the beach. All around them the sky was taking on a purple tinge as the sun began to travel to it's nightly destination. Feeling uncharacteristically dizzy, Marie walked over to the Jean trunk and took out her slipdress. It was neatly folded and smelled of geranium and honeysuckle. She inhaled the scent deeply before running her fingers over the detailed embroidery bodice edge.

She and Kitty would spend entire mornings busily embroidering things for their hope chests. Kitty would ramble for an eternity on all the latest gossip while Marie occasionally laughed and shook her head at her sister's tendency towards exaggeration. It was dreadful work for their hands and eyes, but they had believed so strongly in what they were doing. It was what all good society girls did. It seemed so senseless to her now. The hours they spent embroidering bedclothes and sheets for a marriage bed without even being in love. Without even understanding what love was. Looking up to see the tangle of sheets and tablecloths that made her bed now, Marie smirked. The last thing they needed to learn for a marriage was how to embroider. She ran her hand over the tiny white flower-shaped stitches and sighed. She missed her sister so much.

Logan returned from the beach to find Marie still contemplating the dress. Something in his heart turned at seeing that. She was swathed in the finest silks, lace and satin once. No matter what she said, he knew she missed it in some small way. Images of her sitting in her chair on board the Esmeralda crossed his mind. She sat like a queen and he would watch her from high up in the rigging practically the whole day. He hated all the pomp that surrounded her, but he had to admit it intrigued him. In her colorful oversized dresses she looked amazing and it pained him to think that she was essentially wearing rags now.

"Marie?"

She startled at the sound of her name and quickly unfurled the dress and stood up.

"Logan, I didn't hear you."

Walking over to her, Logan silently took it from her hands. Marie stared at him questioningly. His only response was to slowly bring it up and ease it over her head and shoulders. Marie stood stock still at the feel of his hands smooth it over her and tie the sash at the small of her back. He had undressed her often, but this was new. He concluded by sweeping her hair to the back and setting her chain straight. Looking up at his concerned eyes Marie smiled faintly and raised her hands to do the same to his hair.

"You miss them."

"Yes."

Logan brought his hands to raise her chin and give her a quick kiss.

"You'll see them again, you'll see."

Marie nodded sadly and looked at the now blazing fire. She honestly didn't know how Logan managed to do it with wet wood, but the fire cast a welcome warmth against the still cool ocean breeze. Marie looked over at the trunks.

"You should move them back to block the wind."

Logan nodded in agreement and went to push them into their original positions, while Marie went around, sweeping the camp free of inblown leaves and preparing the spittoon and seasonings of crushed pepper seeds and limes that she would use for the seafood. They each worked in silence until their camp became somewhat typical again. Still seeing Marie sweep her gaze across the expanse of forest behind them looking for Raven's brightly hued feathers, Logan decided to finally break the silence.

"The sun is about to set."

Marie snapped out of her thoughts and wiped her hands on a cloth.

"We should go then. Pick one out."

Pushing the tangle of thoughts that troubled her out of her mind, Marie finished what she was doing and went to join Logan at his side. Together they walked to the beach for her favorite part of the day. Collecting two interesting shells along the way, Marie and Logan held hands and walked slowly up the shore. Reaching where he had left the trap tied to a stone, Logan checked on it briefly, before joining Marie who sat on the shore with the book he had picked out.

Assuming his favorite reading position, which was sitting between her legs and head resting back on her chest, Logan opened the book to the sweet-smelling plant Marie had picked and dried out as a bookmark and began to read out loud. Occasionally stopping to correct a particularly difficult word, Marie threaded her fingers through Logan's hair and contemplated the exceptionally colorful sunset that was typical after it rained, while hearing his gravely voice repeat a familiar story. Rubbing a thigh gently, Logan stumbled through the tangle of symbols he never thought he would understand. By the time he was done with the chapter a half hour later, the sun was almost completely behind the horizon, cutting most of his light anyway. Bringing the particularly fragrant plant to his nose, he turned to look up at Marie.

"Lavender."

He fingered it contemplatively before bringing it to her nose and repeating her word.

"Lavender."

She took an appreciative sniff followed by a giggle. With a smile of his own, Logan put it back between the pages and closed the book.

"You're doing wonderfully Logan."

He turned in his place, now pressing into her.

"For a barbarian?"

She rolled her eyes and settled back into the sand with a smile.

"Of course, for a barbarian."

He fingered her white streaks, now brilliant as the last sliver of sun lit the sky orange. He wanted nothing more than to spend the whole night making love to her right there on the beach, but the air was still cool and without the sun to warm it, they were in for a chilly night. He gave her a quick kiss.

"Does your stomach still hurt?"

Marie's eyes dulled a little. The fears of having a child creeped into her again.

"A little."

Giving Marie's hair one last feel, Logan stood to his feet and handed her the book that he had tossed aside.

"I'll get the trap. The food will help you feel better……"

He started walking away when he turned around with a smirk.

"……your majesty."

He even did a half bow, and Marie found a nearby shell and tossed it at him. To her great surprise it hit him square on the chest. He rubbed the spot with a pained look and kept walking backwards into the lapping water. Marie watched him with a giggle as he almost tripped and then climbed over the rocks that took him deeper into the water. Admiring his tanned body moving fluidly over the rocks and his arms and back flex with the effort to pull up the trap, Marie almost failed to hear the caw that echoed from the camp. But catching a faint resonance in the air, Marie cocked her head and listened. The sound came again and recognizing it clearly as Raven in distress, Marie bolted to her feet.

"Logan! Logan! It's Raven!"

Not sure if he heard her through the distance and the still stronger than normal surf, Marie whistled and pointed to the camp's direction. Without waiting for a response, she started running when she heard the plaintive caw again. Logan for his part instantly dropped the cage he was pulling up and climbed back over the rock outcropping, not sure what she had said. On the beach only seconds later, he ran after Marie's white clad form in the distance.



The last strains of light dimmed just as Marie reached the yellow glow of the camp. The fire that Logan had started was busy boiling the water that they had left for their dinner and Marie looked around frantically for her pet.

"Raven! Raven! Where are you?"

Flinging the Jean trunk open, Marie clutched a shell that held his favorites seeds. Pouring them into one hand, she moved further away from the fire light and towards the green expanse that swayed not that far from her.

"Raven sweetie, look it's your favorite!"

She held out her hand, still breathing hard from her run, and peered into the dark swaying forest. She stood silent for a few minutes, trying to discern a noise above the rest, but the swaying palm leaves masked everything. Behind her on the beach she could now make out Logan's call. He was worried. Feeling foolish for having dashed out like she did, Marie turned and called out.

"Logan! It's okay, I thought I heard Raven!"

He was still running towards the camp, so dropping the seeds onto the Jean trunk in a neat pile, she went to at least meet him halfway. But it was then that a loud grunt made her turn around. She peered into the darkness towards the forest, just outside the halo of the campfire and gasped at three sets of glowing eyes staring back at her, fast approaching. Her mind instantly making the connection that the storm had blown away or buried their perimeter defense without them noticing earlier, Marie screamed.



Logan was slowing down in his run when Marie waved at him. He figured it had been the bird, but not sure he ran anyway. It was only when she turned away and screamed that every nerve in his body jumped into action. Instantly at a full sprint, he was within yards of her when he saw the boar. In a purely instinctual response, his right hand moved to feel his side. Only it found nothing there. Cruel irony swept him as he realized that in his haste, he had left his knife on the rocks when he saw her take off. The axe was wedged in a far tree trunk where they had been practicing how to throw. Yelling both in desperation and anger, he pumped his legs faster as the three animals, one significantly larger than the others, circled and flanked Marie in an attack formation.



Eyes wide in terror, Marie backed up into the shelter. The three beasts were circling her, each perfectly distanced from the other. In her panicked state she instantly recognized it as a group attack and whined at the sight of the biggest one approaching her with a grunting sound. They were drooling, and had their backs arched, tough spiny hair standing on end. She began to cry when they threatened her within only a few yards. They were close and they were going to kill her. In her unfocused brain Marie could think only that and didn't make out Logan's yelling until the animals stopped their approach. Quickly reorganizing their strategy, they turned to face Logan, who had now barreled into the camp's light.



The largest boar sniffed the air in recognition. It's dark eyes immediately picked up the hunter. It had approached the camp almost nightly in search of him, in search of his smell, but it could never reach him. He had a weapon. Only he didn't have it now and it was a hunter too. All he had was fear. Fear for his mate. Fear for his life. Fear of him. Unable to resist the pull of that smell, the large boar soon forgot the squealing mate and stealthily moved to stalk the hunter who was now the hunted. His fellow hunters took his cue and fell into position by him. The man was the bigger threat. He was the one that killed. He could deal the mate afterwards. She was weak and therefore not a threat.



Marie's panic stricken brain could barely register what was happening. Through tears and sobs she realized that the boars had stepped away. As she cringed against the shelter, a horrible thought occurred to her. They were moving towards Logan now. They were going to kill him, not her. Logan. The man she loved, the father of her child. That felt odd. Up until that very moment it hadn't really been a certainty. They suspected, they assumed, but they were not sure. Only now she was. As deeply as she knew she loved him, she knew she had life within her. Snapping her head to the side of the shelter where she had placed their walking sticks after the storm, Marie slowly bent and wrapped her hand around one.

In the distance, where her brain couldn't process any more data, she heard Logan yelling. He was telling her to run, to get his knife, to hide. The fear dripped in his voice, and in the tepid tropical air it was palpable. But Marie had stronger orders. Ones that came from deep within. Primordial ones that fueled the need to fight and survive. To protect what was hers. And Logan was hers. Logan was hers. Taking stealthy steps towards the closest of the trio of advancing beasts, Marie brought her walking stick high over her head and with a yell that seemed to silence everything, used all of the strength that she had in her body to bring it crashing down on it's skull.

The beast squealed in agony as it's skull splintered to pieces. Logan, the trees, the surf, even the low hum of crickets stopped in shock. The beast that she hit wobbled and turned to face her, kicking it's hind legs to ready his charge, but it fell short of it's task, tipping over and dying with it's last squeal just feet away from her. Marie looked up at the wide hazel eyes on the other side of the fire. For a brief moment they were the only things that mattered. The only things she could see. Losing the hard grip that she had on her weapon, Marie went to call out his name when a sudden grunt, followed closely by a scream stopped her in place. The hazel eyes squeezed shut in agony.

"Logan! No!!!"

The big one had taken the opportunity when Logan looked at Marie to ram him with as much energy as he could. His eight inch tusks tore into Logan's calf and shin, bringing him quickly down to his knees. In an agonizing moment the beast charged again, but Logan moved quick and held him at bay with his bare hands. They struggled, man and beast, for the right to be the hunter. Logan gripped the hulking animal's head and throat while it flayed wildly in an effort to gorge him again. Both strained and grunted and already injured and slippery with his blood, Logan lost his grip on the animal's head. He screamed again when a tusk tore into his side.

Marie shrieked and ran forward, her grip on her stick tight again, but there was a grunting shape before her, blocking her path, keeping her from him. Eyes glazed and furious, she brought the stick up and swung at the animal, but he kept just out of range, watching her closely, charging a few feet then moving back. She had the element of surprise with the first, but this one was smarter. She stepped forward and swung again, but took too long to draw back. The beast saw it's opportunity and charged. Marie moved out of the way in time, but it's tusks caught on her skirt. The fabric ripped and shaking it's head to get the fabric free, the animal brought Marie to her knees.



In his peripheral vision, Logan saw her fall. He yelled out her name, and tightened his grip on the one he had in his clutches. It's hooves were kicking into him and he felt his side bleed out, but Logan kept struggling, refusing to let the animal go. If he did, it would charge after Marie and he preferred to die with the animal in his hands then let that happen to her. Using the last of his waning strength, Logan squeezed down on the animals throat, ignoring the pain his hooves were inflicting in his side and the sand that gritted his eyes. Remembering the rage that coursed through him when Creed brought her down on the Isabella with his hand, Logan prayed to God for the second time in his life that Marie could live before passing out when a tusk slipped past his grip and tore into his chest.



Marie gasped at the suddenness in which she was on the ground. The animal had retreated for a second charge with a piece of her skirt still attached to one of it's tusks. In the back of her mind Marie knew that Logan was down. The struggling had ceased and with tears in her eyes, she looked over to see the giant boar, shake himself away from the limp body. The fire cast a flickering glow on everything and she felt her stomach turn at the sight of him covered in blood. With a whimper she turned to the beast already approaching her. She had to live because her baby had to live. With a choked sob, Marie quickly stood and grasping the stick Logan made for her one morning that seemed so far away, she swiped at the stand holding up the black cast iron spittoon still bubbling with water over the fire. The boiling water came crashing down over the fire ring and into the sand just as the boar that was charging her passed it.



Moving quick, Marie leaped onto the Jean trunk that lay just feet from her, barely missing the scalding water herself. She heard more than saw the boiling water crashing over the animal. It's skin hissed at the contact and a ear-splitting squeal broke the night air. Seeing that it was still howling in pain, Marie turned, raised her stick again and hit it square over the head with a guttural scream, breaking the stick in two. Already faltering, the animal squealed one last time before falling to the ground. Marie wanted to yell in triumph, but the biggest threat of all was stalking her now.

Turning to see it grunt at her menacingly, Marie's cold hatred resurfaced again. They evaluated each other for a quiet minute. And then she smiled. She saw fear and the beast that was the hunter was now the hunted. Throwing the splintered wood she had in her hands at it with a snarl, Marie reached over to the rum trunk next to her and grasped one of the last six bottles of rum. Slowly, ever so slowly, she uncorked it and eased down off the Jean trunk. The sand that had absorbed the boiling water was still warm under her feet. Refusing to let what he perceived to be his prey go, the beast stood it's ground. Holding the animal in place with her gaze, Marie walked slowly.

The beast needed no more opportunity than to see her come down from the trunk and out into the open. Snorting furiously, it kicked it's hind legs in the sand and grunted. Taking just a second to set his target, it charged, running hard and fast. Marie swung the bottle she had in her hand with a certainty she had never felt before. She had good aim, Logan had told her so, but this hit it's target perfectly. The bottle smashed over the beat's tusks in a spray of glass and amber liquid. Showered in glass, the animal grinded to a stop, shaking it's head in confusion and irritation at what coated his eyes. Snorting angrily, it failed to see another object approach. It was a fatal moment as he inexplicably felt himself burst into flames.

Marie shielded her face from the intense heat that eminated from the beast. It was still moving aimlessly and stepping back slowly, Marie put a hand to her throat. The stench of burning boar was terrible, and knowing what she had to do, knowing that when she did this, she could see to Logan, Marie reached into the rum trunk and withdrew a fold of leather. Yanking the string that held one side, she let the leather square unfurl.

A shaving blade fell to the sand at her feet, catching all the oranges the fire cast out. Kicking sand at the now smoldering, undistinguishable charred mass of what was once a hunter to put him out completely, Marie clenched the shaving blade tight in her small hand. She approached with sure steady steps and with a grunt slid the thin metal straight across the animal's throat. She pulled back before the spray of warm blood and liquids fell over her hand. It was surprisingly easier than she had thought. Fast and without feeling Logan had taught her, and following that lesson with every fiber in her being, Marie moved to the other two animals to do the same.

When she was done, her chest heaving, her hair matted in sweat, Marie dropped the blade as if it were hot and looked over at Logan's form. Jumping to it, she gasped as tears welled in her eyes and her stomach turned. He was unconscious, covered in blood and several deep gouges. Not knowing where to start and feeling panic rise in her again, Marie clutched at the cross on her chain and clenched her eyes tight. She needed strength. The same strength that let her kill three boars, that made her face Creed despite his size, that made her want to expose all she was to another human being to be vulnerable. Strength to make him live. Opening her eyes slowly, Marie wiped her tears away and set to work on saving Logan's life.