Author's Chapter Notes:
Aquarius & Dala, this fic's for you. This is my ode to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic. That and The Blue Lagoon. Sorry folks the cliché factor is high on this one. Blame it on Tom Hanks. Also, I tortured historical events, facts, accents, and geography, oh well. Next up, a sequel to 'Run', guaranteed before Christmas.
I. Petticoats and Sweat

Marie Xavier peered out of the carriage window in disdain. It was unbearably hot in the confined velvet enclosure, but the smell of salt and fish outside on the wharf was little better. She quickly settled back in her seat, frustrated again at the insane logic that propelled so many of her father's actions. The gentleman seated across from her paused in his conversation with her sister and smiled at his fiancé's impatience.

"Really my petit, we will be moving soon."

Biting the inside of her cheek to keep from saying something inappropriate, Marie straightened out her posture and looked down at her crocheted gloves. She knew she was being rude, but the severity of the situation she found herself in was dire. In only a short time she would be crossing into the unknown, leaving behind all she knew and all she loved to follow someone else's dream. She looked up at Monsieur Lebeau, all luxurious attire and flattery and her sister Kitty sitting by him. Even though she would miss them sorely, they did not understand.

"I apologize Monsieur for my unpleasant company, I am quite nervous."

His laughing eyes turned slightly darker and without precedence, he crossed the space between them and settled his long, angular frame by hers. The bold move surprised Marie and she briefly wondered what was taking their chaperone so long. Kitty covered her giggle with her gloves, no doubt staining them with the liptint she wore.

"But mon ami, you are noting but a pleasure. You should not concern your belle self about dese tings. Captain Magnus is an experienced traveller."

Marie looked down at her lap. He had taken one of her hands in his gloved ones. Kitty looked like she was about to burst in excitement.

"Yes, Marie Elizabeth, your trip will be dreadfully uneventful, you'll see."

"I am not scared as I am worried Katherine. I have confidence in the good Captain, it's simply that..."

Lebeau's warm laughter stopped her short. He brought her hand to his lips and planted a soft kiss. Kitty's eyes widened to the size of saucers.

"Mon petit, you are always tinking too much. That is why Remy adore you so."

Marie held her breath at his proximity. The handsome gentleman by her always managed to take her breath away with his charm. She couldn't prevent her blush any more than she could his chuckle at it.

"You are most flattering Monsieur."

"Remy speak only de truth, mon ami. You have this poor man's heart in your belle hands."

He turned to smile at Kitty, who seemed to whither in giggly agreement. He planted another kiss on her hand. This one more lingering than the last. Marie ventured a look up into the curious eyes she had come to accept as her destiny. They looked back at her in amusement and Marie felt herself grow even hotter at the prospect of the handsome lawyer kissing her. He had done it once before, on the terrace after asking her father for her hand. It was simply glorious but Marie knew she couldn't allow herself such stolen moments. Her mother, god bless her beautiful soul, would surely be disappointed. And it would set a horrible example to Kitty. After all, at seventeen she was only one year away from being bethroved as well. Flustering under his continuous gaze, Marie retrieved her hand and inched slightly down on the seat.

"Monsieur, still your words speak flattery."

Knowing he couldn't push his luck with a lady of her caliber, Monsieur Lebeau settled back into the plush velvet seating with a knowing smile.

"Remy will miss you sorely mon petit, an dat is de truth."

Marie breathed a nervous sigh of relief and smoothed out her ice blue skirts. Before she could venture a response, the door to the carriage swung open and their chaperone eyed the Monsieur's new position by her.

"My ladies, the preparations are complete and they are ready to board."

Kitty clasped her hands excitedly.

"Marie Elizabeth how exciting!"

St. John, one of her father's most trusted aids, offered his hand to the younger lady and she took it without pause. The Monsieur helped her sister as well and when it was Marie's turn he gripped her waist tightly, planting her firmly on the cobblestone beneath them with a lingering touch. Marie smoothed out her skirts and hooked her arm around his. In the morning sun, the Monsieur was truly handsome in his purple overcoat and tall riding boots. She felt the blush return and quickly opened her umbrella.

"Thank you Monsieur, you most kind."

He responded with a dazzling smile and Marie found it hard to look away. Eventually Kitty's prattling forced her to. She was carrying on incessantly over the ship this and that, until the Monsieur mercifully stopped her by offering his escort. Kitty latched onto his other arm with a blush and Monsieur Lebeau walked both girls down the dock while St. John struggled with Marie's last minute luggage.

The conversation was pleasant enough, but Marie's heart wasn't in it. Looming before them high above the water was the 'Esmeralda'. It stood tall and proud. It should have instilled confidence in her, but it only managed to faintly stir her anger. She didn't understand. She didn't want to understand. She loved her father dearly and ached to see him again, but it was so unfair. So unfair.

Sensing her relapse in mood, Monsieur Lebeau came to a stop and asked Kitty for a moment. The dock all around them buzzed with men coming and going. There was a huge ramp to one side and they were loading equipment up onto the massive ship busily. Kitty was suddenly dismayed at the prospect of brushing up against one of them and St. John noticed her expression so he went to stand by her. She clung to his arm and resumed her busy chatting trying not to notice the straining, sweaty sailors all around her.

Marie's mind was far from the men surrounding her. She was looking straight at Monsieur Lebeau's glimmering tiepin.

"It'll be fine my chere, it is only eight months and then we will be married."

Marie sighed heavily.

"It is so unfair Monsieur. Are you positive that you cannot join me?"

He gathered her closer to him in a half embrace, mindful of St. John's careful watch.

"You must understand chere, this business deal is important. Once it is complete, we can be together in the Americas. It will insure our prosperity."

Marie looked up into the handsome face. She knew she was being childish. It was only eight months and then she would be his wife. She managed a weak smile. She wanted to cry, but she didn't want him to remember their last meeting as a bad one.

"You are right Monsieur. It is only a few months and it is worth the wait."

He smiled at that and brought her hand up to his lips again. Despite her agitation, the action had a soothing effect. She smiled faintly and Lebeau briefly wondered if he could manage a quick kiss before her chaperone objected.

Still debating, he was about to attempt the foolish when a loud thump and crack sounded behind them. A second later a rush of liquid brushed over their feet, causing Marie to squeal and jump back. Luckily, Lebeau still had a grip on her, so she stumbled but didn't fall, but her carefully pressed satin skirts were ruined. Still feeling the rush of liquid, the French lawyer turned to see who was responsible. What he found was a scared boy who had dropped a cask of ale he was rolling up the plank. Still standing among the wooden strips of the cracked cask he tried to explain to the gentleman it was an accident.

"I, sir, it was an accident. I beg your forgiveness."

"Accident, you mogrel!! You're carelessness has disgraced this lady!"

Marie looked pleadingly at St. John. The calmer man stepped forward to temper the feisty lawyer, but Kitty's panicked grip on his arm slowed him down.

"Monsieur Lebeau, perhaps it is wiser..."

Lebeau ignored the pleas of St. John, and brought back the flap of his waistcoat to reveal a shining silver gun. No-one behind him saw, but the young boy's eyes widened in fear.

"Sir!! Please..."

Before the boy could complete his pleading, an unseen man jumped down on the wharf from where he was checking the overhead rigging of the Esmeralda. His worn black boots landed hard and unexpectedly on the dock and in a lightening quick movement he pulled the boy behind him. Kitty shrieked and hid her face into St. John. Marie ran to him as well, her skirts sloshing against her ankles. The entire commotion on the wharf stopped to watch the standoff. Lebeau just stared at the apparition that so quickly materialized before him. His face was pulled into a snarl, contorting his features into a hard mask.

"It was an accident."

Lebeau's leather encased fingers flexed as if to reach for his weapon, but he never even got to reach the pearlized handle. The other man knew inexperience when he saw it. With a grin, he withdrew a knife he had tucked into the back of his waist before the Frenchman could finish reaching for his weapon. The movement was so quick, the crowd didn't realize that he had a knife until he tilted it faintly in the sun. The smooth blade shimmered and Lebeau's eyes widened at the implication.

"Yer a little slow on the uptake there, bub."

The crowd of men surrounding the place burst into laughter. They knew the Wolverine well and it was never unamusing to see him in action. Lebeau looked at the faces around him in confusion and anger. He knew he was outmaned and bore his eyes into the man grinning at his expense.

"How dare you insult me??"

The man's smile vanished and the more dangerous scowl returned. Panicked from where she stood, Marie clutched at her skirts and took a step forward.

"Monsieur!!"

Lebeau turned at the voice. He had forgotten she was there. Seeing the gun now, Marie gulped and clenched her fingers tightly. She had never seen violence before, but she was not going to allow harm to come to her fiancé. She unwittingly had everyone's attention so she stepped forward despite the fear consuming her from the inside out.

"Don't bother with that ruffian. Do not lower yourself to his barbarianism!"

To her dismay, the men around her burst into laughter again. Even the boy behind Logan chuckled. For them this little drama was the best they had seen in a long time. She eyed them warily, crossing her arms at her waist in a bout of sudden insecurity. Lebeau was watching her in disbelief with mouth hanging open. Behind him, the Wolverine resheathed his knife into the small of his back with a grin.

"The lady is right, you should run along before you get hurt."

Lebeau turned his furious gaze on him before deciding that he was no match for the shorter man. Swallowing his wounded pride, he opted for retreat. Giving the boy a last damning look, he turned and walked stiffly back to Marie.



The Wolverine laughed at his back and settled his sights on the girl the Frenchman hastily ushered over to the waiting other two. She had a curious white streak in her hair that seemed so out of place in her youthful face. He could hear the swishing sounds her wet skirts were making. He hadn't thought twice about gutting the French bastard, but the girl's bravery had stopped him. As if sensing his eyes on her back, she turned around and gave him a furious look. That caused him to laugh even harder. He barely noticed the Captain until he felt his arm patting him on the back.

"Logan! You have been playing with our precious cargo, my boy!!"

He straightened out for a minute.

"Don't tell me that neuvo-riche tight-ass is actua..."

The Captain burst into uproarious laughter that made his entire massive frame shake.

"No, no dear boy!! Just the girl and her servant."

Logan looked at the girl again. She was hugging and smoothing over the younger one.

"That's good."

The Captain slowed down his laughing and rubbed his bulging stomach.

"Don't even think about it Logan, it's not wise."

He put a heavy arm around the lesser man and Logan could see that the Captain was thinking some of those thoughts himself.

"She's worth a fortune. An Xavier. And my job is to get her to daddy and collect my handsome fee, worth a whole season's work, so don't even look my boy!"

Logan crossed his arms in disdain.

"Never had a taste for high society. Nothin' but trouble."

At that the Captain burst into roaring laughter again, he pounded Logan's back before stepping forward.

"And that is the god-fearing truth my boy! I've had to add costly provisions to make sure she is comfortable, but Daddy paid half in advance, so comfortable she will be!! Now get back to work while I smooth over my precious cargo."

With that the Captain hobbled away on his cane. Logan spat on the wharf before wiping the sweat of his brow and resuming the work he was interrupted from.



Marie glanced at the man laughing at her from across the wharf. Not sure her day could get any worse, she clung to Kitty in vain efforts to calm her nerves.

"Please Katherine, don't cry. It'll be all right."

The younger girl dabbled her embroidered handkerchief across her eyes.

"I'm going to miss you so much Marie Elizabeth. This will be the longest two months without you."

Marie smiled at the girl's genuineness. She was positively the sweetest person she had ever known and they had never been separated that long. But Kitty had to finish her semester at Madam Witherstone's School for Ladies. News of her father's illness was forcing Marie to leave earlier than scheduled, but they both understood that she had no choice. Poppa needed her and she had to go.

"I know Kitty dear, put it'll end soon enough and we'll be together you'll see."

Slowly, Kitty regained some composure.

"Yes, it will go quick and we'll be with Poppa once again."

Marie sighed at the thought. Even though she wouldn't be a spring bride in London, she would at least be with her beloved father. Kitty saw her furlonged expression and remembered the little something she had brought along. Opening the silk pouch she had hanging off her wrist, she retrieved a golden cross.

"Marie Elizabeth you must have this. It will keep you safe on your voyage."

Marie blinked back the tears forming in her eyes. Taking the chain reverently, she hugged her sister tightly.

"Thank you Katherine. I won't take it off even once until we are reunited again."

That earned her a smile and Marie looked up at the feel of Monsieur Lebeau's hand on her back.

"Let me put that on my dear."

Marie handed him the chain with a smile and her fiancé proceeded to take his time securing it around her neck. Kitty started giggling again and Marie sighed happily, even though the bottom third of her skirts were soaked and increasingly heavy.

Still cursing the damn sailor who laughed at her, she caught the smile St. John gave Kitty. For the hundredth time Marie felt saddened at the unfortunate luck that had prevented St. John from being born into a higher status. She caught all of the looks he gave her sister and deep in her heart she knew his love for her ran deep. But Kitty was already being courted by several gentlemen and it would be inevitable that she be married soon. Still contemplating the injustice of the situation, Marie jumped at the sound of a hearty laugh approaching. She was about to ask who he was when St. John went to greet him.

"Captain Magnus, greetings."

The enormous man gave St. John a pat on the back that almost sent him flying. Lebeau finally finished with her necklace and stood guard behind them.

"I am well my boy!! And these charming ladies?"

Kitty and Marie curtsied in perfectly rehearsed unison.

"This is Katherine Ann and Marie Elizabeth, daughters of Sir Charles Francis Xavier."

The Captain eyed the girls carefully before removing his wide hat and kissing each of their hands.

"I am Captain Erik Magnus, at your loyal service."

Not one to be left out of a conversation, Lebeau stepped forward. St. John continued the introductions.

"And this is Monsieur Rembrant Lebeau, esquire."

He took the pause after the introduction to quickly make his case.

"Captain Magnus, your reputation as a noble and courageous man precede you, but as the fiancé to Miss Marie Elizabeth, I must beg a favor. I believe there is a member of your crew..."

The Captain chuckled deep in his throat. He knew what was coming but he couldn't loose Logan on this voyage. He had heard rumors and he was just too damn a good entertainment to leave behind on such a long trip.

"My dear boy, I assure you he is harmless. Now if you please, My lady must board quickly. We must make good time."

With that the Captain turned to speak to St. John again hoping that the matter would drop. Lebeau deflated significantly, but turned his attentions to Marie who had her hand on his arm.

"Monsieur, I must bid you good-bye now."

He took her hands in his and snuck a look to St. John. He was occupied with the Captain so he leaned over and planted a quick kiss on Marie's lips before she had a chance to react. But react she did. She turned a complete shade of red and held a hand to her lips.

"Monsieur!"

"Don't worry my belle, we will be together soon."

Marie smiled and turned the ring she wore on her finger round and round.

"Yes, we will be together soon."

She disentangled her hand from his and went to Kitty who was still enthralled by the grandiosity that was Captain Magnus. Giving her sister a final tear-filled hug and kiss, she waved good-bye at the two people she was leaving behind as St. John and Captain Magnus escorted her up the ramp and to what would be her new home for the next three weeks. Logan watched the entire scene in between checking the riggings high up in the ship's sails. They had never had a passenger like the girl, and it would certainly make for an interesting trip.