Author's Chapter Notes:
If you can't handle all kinds of alterations to every 'verse there is, do not proceed. Acknowledgement: Thanks to Batgirl for her quick wit and insightful input.
Marie walked hurriedly through the Mansion grounds, bundling up as she went. Despite the two pairs of gloves she wore, the frigid January air numbed her fingers and made her face feel taught. Stealing a quick glance at her watch, she cursed under her breath for being late. It was already six and the others were probably getting dinner already. Walking a little faster she stopped when she came to the trellis that framed the western wall of the Main Residence. Raising effortlessly through the air, Marie floated up to her window, unlatched the shutters and landed inside her room. Checking the time again, she quickly shrugged her green cloak off her shoulders and ran into the bathroom. If she hustled the others wouldn't notice.

Once in the bathroom, Marie tore off her clothes and searched under her sink for a box of garbage bags that she kept around. Stuffing everything she had worn into the black plastic bag, Marie placed it in her hamper. She turned around to step into the shower, but then rethought her actions. Fishing the bag out of the hamper again, she placed the bundle in yet another bag for added security, before burying it again.

Satisfied at her added measure of security, Marie stepped into the shower and proceeded to scrub down furiously. After soaking under scalding hot water for a good ten minutes, she turned the knobs, toweled off and quickly got dressed. Returning to her room, she grabbed the green cloak she had been wearing and stuffed it in a large trunk she kept in her closet. The trunk was full of potpourri sachets and scented soaps. Tying a silky handkerchief around her head as a band, and adding a quick touch of make-up, Marie finally paused and looked around. One last thing to do. Picking up the perfume that Jean given her for Christmas, Marie spritzed herself and room each once. Content that she had done everything she had to, she finally charged down the stairs to join the others.



Logan quirked his eyebrows at Marie when she walked in. Taking her place to his right, she sat down silently and flashed him a brilliant smile. He found it odd that Marie was out of breath and flushed but he was in the middle of a conversation with Ororo, so he acknowledged her with a quick grin before returning his attentions back to the weather goddess. Catching her left hand under the table Logan interwove his fingers tightly with Marie's. Smiling down at her plate, Marie quickly started to eat and blend into the conversation going on at the table. Logan also tried to focus on what was being said, but inevitably his thoughts went to the gloved hand that was resting on his thigh. All sorts of scents wafted from Marie, and Logan wondered for the millionth time why women found fruity smells so appealing. Shaking his head in puzzlement, Logan went to work on his food, occasionally looking over when Marie laughed at something that her friends were saying. By the end of the meal, he could think of nothing else but the soft circles she was making into his denim clad leg. Reaching over halfway through dessert, he finally ended their silent interaction by whispering softly into her ear,

"You keep that up, and we won't make it upstairs."

Looking over with a mischievous grin, Marie inched her hand higher and gave her lover a squeeze, "Why wait?"

Suppressing a growl and giving Marie a smoldering look, Logan pushed his chair back and excused himself. Blushing to herself, Marie stayed where she was for another two minutes before doing the same and leaving. The exchange wasn't lost on anyone sitting at the table, but Marie figured it was up to her not to appear so ... well, obvious.



Taking two steps at a time, Logan bounded up the stairs whistling a tune, when he caught a blur a blond curls approach him. Holding his breath as the smell of hair dye and hairspray reached him, Logan actually increased his pace, hoping to avoid her completely, but it was too late.

"Hi Wolverine, whatcha doing?" Chasity smiled broadly as she fell into step beside Logan.

Sighing to himself, Logan answered without turning to look at her, "Walking."

Chasity giggled brightly. "I can see that silly, but where are you going?"

Rounding a corner, Logan smirked and kept walking, trying to ignore the girl that was eagerly following him, "I'm going to my room."

Reaching his door, Logan put his hand on the knob, but Chasity quickly placed her hand over his. Taken aback, Logan stared at the girl who had made it a point to follow and accost him anywhere she could since he returned. She was attractive and it was pretty obvious that she was interested but, well, he wasn't. Everyone knew he and Marie were - whatever they were, but this girl didn't take no for an answer.

Smiling seductively and leaning forward to reveal substantial cleavage, Chasity cooed in her most seductive voice, "So do you need any company?"

Unsure of how to respond, Logan just glared at her when a voice from behind startled them both.

"Hi there Chasity." The contempt in Marie's voice was pretty obvious.

Momentarily flustered, Chasity regrouped herself before answering sarcastically, "Hello Rogue."

Marie on her part was fuming, but responded in the sweetest voice she could, "Shouldn't yah be somewhere else....sugah?"

Knowing it best not to mess with a chick that could punch holes through walls without breaking a nail, Chasity smirked and took her hand off of Logan's. Giving him one last meaningful look, she sauntered down the hallway and disappeared in a purple puff of smoke, literally.

Looking back at Logan's amused expression, Marie sidestepped him and briskly made her way down the hallway to her own room. It was no secret that Chasity had made a personal goal out of Logan, but it was getting to the point that she couldn't turn a corner and not find her practically dry humping him.

Logan trotted behind Marie, "I thought you were gonna start brawlin'."

Flashing Logan an angry look, Marie fiddled with her key, "Ah bet yah did."

Grinning at her jealousy, Logan circled Marie's waist with his arms from behind, "Why are you mad at me, I didn't do anything."

Exasperated, Marie shrugged off his embrace and finally succeeded in opening her door. "That's part of tha problem Logan, yah never do anythang."

Letting herself in, Marie went to close the door but Logan had placed his foot in the way, "What am I supposed to do? Can't blame the girl for trying."

Taking advantage of Marie's incredulous expression, Logan pushed the door open and moved to hold her again. He loved how her accent got thick when she was upset.

"Yah are so full o'yoself Logan, Ah swear...."

Marie's sentence was cut in half when Logan pulled her up even closer, cutting off her breath and attacking her neck with his mouth. Annoyed that she could fold so quickly in his hands, Marie fought her instincts to draw him closer still, and pushed him back instead.

"Ah'm serious Logan, this is getting tiring."

Slightly panting, Logan stopped and looked up at Marie. She was annoyed, but obviously excited, "Darling, it's all you."

His words were not lost on Marie who was already breathing erratically herself. Threading his hair with her fingers, she whispered, "Yah promise?"

Kissing first her bangs, then the wisps of hair framing her face, Logan paused for a second again, before working his way down to Marie's lips, "Yeah."

Kissing them ever so lightly, while he mused her hair with one hand, Logan took a chance and started to explore her curves with his left hand. Marie closed her eyes and leaned into his touch. Letting a gasp escape her when his rough fingers roamed over breasts, she brought her own gloved hands to entwine at his back. Cupping his bottom with splayed fingers, Marie drank in the sensations he created within her.

Smiling at the way Marie responded, Logan heaved her up into his arms with one swift movement. Feeling her legs wrap around his waist, he growled softly and walked over to her bed, pausing only for a second to push away the bear she kept on her bed to the floor, before laying her down before him.

Looking up to meet Logan's intense gaze, Marie blushed slightly and averted her eyes, working on opening the buttons on his shirt instead. They had been together for almost two months and still she couldn't bring herself to face him without feeling overwhelmed. Denied of touch for so long, every night with Logan brought her to crave him even more and not just because of the sex, but because of the intimacy.

Finally done with his buttons, Marie peeled the shirt off Logan's back and tossed it to the side. Carefully feeling the tight bundles of muscles that framed his body, she worked her way down to where his jeans bulged. Straining at her touch, Logan gritted his teeth and moved faster to remove Marie's sweater. Finally bringing it over her head, he pulled back and sat on his heels. Unbuckling Marie's jeans and bringing them past her legs, he grinned unabashedly at the woman under him.



When he first returned from Alkali Lake, he was very hesitant to pursue her. She was beautiful for sure, but still awfully young. But the attraction was undeniable. When she was anywhere near him, he felt his senses perk up, noticing all the smells and sounds about her. He knew from Jean that she felt something for him too, but a year apart after only three days together had done nothing to abate the attraction. It was kind of obvious by the way she avoided looking at him, even when he was right in front of her. The air crackled with tension when they were together, which was often enough. In the year he was gone she became an X-Man, which did nothing but torture him with dreams of her wearing that green, skin-tight outfit of hers. But he uncharacteristically held back, keeping his hormones in check. After all, she was barely legal. It worked for a few months until very late one night after a hard battle with Magneto's bunch.

Logan was leaving the men's showers in the basement gym, when he heard the locker room doors slam shut. Grabbing a towel, he made his way to his things, thinking it was just another one of the guys. He had no idea that the women's showers were out of order, and thinking that everyone was already asleep, Marie decided to use the men's showers. You could imagine the shock on Logan's face when he padded around a row of tall lockers and came across Marie undressing. Unable to move, he stood stock still as she peeled of her uniform, revealing why it clung to her like a second skin - no underwear.

Turning around quickly, Logan proceeded to slam right into a wall of lockers. Letting out a shriek, Marie turned to find Logan stretched out on the floor. Running to his side wearing nothing but a towel herself, she held her breath as his healing factor closed up the nasty cut on his head. Extremely turned on and extremely humiliated, Logan quickly got up to his feet, muttering under his breath. He was practically gone, when he felt Marie's hand on his thigh. She looked up at him with her wide green eyes and he was frozen in place again. Marie made it such a point of always avoiding eye contact with him, that when she did it now, it was overwhelming. Twenty minutes later, they were in a tangle of arms and legs on Logan's bed, age differences and deadly skin forgotten.



Looking up at Logan, Marie wondered how much more she could keep her secret. At first their lovemaking was rough and furious, grown out of basic need and desire, but lately it had evolved into something else. There was no point in denying that they were in a full fledge relationship now and as the weeks added up, so did her guilt at deceiving him. Catching his gloved fingers as they tugged at her bra straps, Marie held her breath and leaned up to rest on her elbows.

"Logan, Ah have something ta tell yah."

Pausing at her words, Logan licked his lips and raised an eyebrow, "Right now?"

Blushing a little deeper, Marie opened her mouth but couldn't find how to start.

Feeling the tightness in his groin urge him on, Logan disregarded Marie's hesitation and descended on her breasts. Suckling her through the lacy fabric, Logan shifted slightly to reach under the pillows and pull out a thin silk sheet. Moaning at the skillful manipulations Logan provided, Marie decided to abandon her confession for another day. Easing down on the bed, she closed her eyes as Logan unfurled the sheet above her and then descended on her once again.



Waking up on her side, Marie went to move but found an incredibly heavy arm over her stomach. Logan gave out a grunt into his pillow and pulled her in closer. Waking up always scared Marie, because she once woke up to find Logan unconscious. At first she would return to her room afterwards. It was much safer that way, but now more often than not, they slept together. The fact that he stayed meant a lot but was still a constant source of worry for her.

"Logan, sugah, Ah got ta get up."

Giving out another grunt, Logan moved his arm higher, cupping a breast with his large hands through the red silk. Marie smiled and placed her gloved hand over his.

"Fer real Logan, Ah got ta get up."

Moving in to bury himself in her hair, Logan offered another grunt as a response. Marie sighed and closed her eyes, "If yah don't let go, Ah'll take yer arm off."

Picking up his head to look at Marie a little closer, Logan arched an eyebrow and moved his hand lower, "Than how could I do this."

Gasping in fake horror, Marie squirmed as Logan moved over her and deftly pinned both her hands to her side with his knees. Reaching over to the night table for a condom, Logan quirked his other eyebrow at Marie. Giggling, Marie resigned to stay in bed a little longer.

"What is so damn funny?"

Releasing her hands and taking the packet from Logan, Marie answered wryly, "Yah hair is sticking up all ovah tha place. Yah need ah haircut."

Bracing against her touch, Logan sucked in his breath before easing onto his back and bringing Marie over him. Pulling her hips forward, he replied slyly, "Chasity likes it that way."

Letting out a gasp, Marie punched Logan in the arm and got up, shedding the sheet that enveloped her, "Then let her finish yah off." Picking up the bear off the floor, she flung it at Logan before walking off into the bathroom.

Looking down at his ...predicament, Logan groaned into the empty room, "Bad time to be making jokes." Easing himself off the bed, Logan made his way to the bathroom too. Nothing like a morning quickie to start off the day.



Later that afternoon, the X-Men were called away on a mission that would take them away for a few days. Not wanting to waste the opportunity to sneak around in her things, Chasity pouffed into Marie's room while most of the residents of the Mansion were downstairs watching a video. It was The Matrix or something and being that the guys loved the damn movie, she was sure no-one would notice her gone. Knowing that Marie always kept to herself and hardly ever let anyone in her room - besides Logan - Chasity knew it would be worth it to rifle through her things, even if she got caught.

Moving through the drawers and cabinets with disinterest, Chasity wondered just what Logan found in Marie. Sure she was attractive, but the girl was boring. She didn't keep a journal, or have any sex toys or even have some pot stored away somewhere. Other than the lingerie and some trashy romance novels, there was practically nothing there of interest. Sighing out loud, she moved over to the closet next, which had about thirty pairs of jeans in it. Rolling her eyes, Chasity, poked through the shoe boxes in disgust. How many scarves and gloves can one person have? Making a mental note to try and touch Logan more often, Chasity stopped short when she spotted a trunk. Buried deep with shoes and partially covered with a blanket, it looked completely out of place in the incredibly neat room. Excitedly pushing all of the items off it with a single sweep, Chasity dropped her mouth open in surprise at what she found.



The X-Men returned on a Wednesday, two days later than expected. They managed to contain a new resurgence of anti-mutant activity in Eastern Europe and were relieved to be home again. Away for nearly a week, Marie quickly made her way to the stables to see the horses she was in charge of. Brushing and feeding them, she made her plans. She had missed her morning meet and was waiting for the opportunity to leave. She didn't want it to be obvious, so she decided to wait until dark to sneak out.



Twisting the cap off a beer bottle with his bare hands, Logan strolled into the television room and glared at the kids assembled there. Quickly scattering in all directions, the room was vacated as Logan took his usual place on the sofa and kicked his feet up on the coffee table. Looking around for the remote, he grimaced as Scott walked in and sat on the other end of the sofa.

Plopping down, Scott pulled the remote out of his side of the cushions. "Looking for this?"

Logan scowled even further, "If you know what's good for you, you'll give it here."

Smirking defiantly, Scott pointed it at the television and turned it on, "Relax."

Fuming, but unwilling to get up and pound Scott's ass just yet, Logan growled, "I ain't watching Lifetime with you one-eye."

Snapping his head up, Scott glared at Logan through his visor. "It was just once!! And there was nothing else on."

Pleased at Scott's indignant reaction, Logan took a long drink and muttered under his breath, "Yeah, just once."

Ignoring the comment, Scott simply flipped through the channels until he reached ESPN. Stopping there he looked over at Logan. "There, a hockey game."

Bristling at Scott's unusual cockiness, Logan glared, "Just 'cause I'm Canadian don't mean I like hockey."

Snorting in amusement Scott decided to play devil's advocate and muttered under his breath. "Gee I suppose you don't wear flannel undies neither?"

Extending a single middle claw at the younger X-Man, Logan briefly wondered what Marie would do to him if he shredded the fearless leader right there and then.

The need for self-preservation overtaking the need to annoy Logan, Scott quickly responded to Logan's murderous look, "Relax, I'm from Alaska myself. It was a joke."

Returning his attentions to his beer, Logan growled with a smirk. "Don't appreciate stereotypes."

Shaking his head, Scott put up the television volume to watch the game. Confident that he could still scare the shit out of one-eye, Logan settled in also, when the smell of hair dye and hairspray wafted in. Appearing with a trailing puff of purple smoke, Chasity waltzed into the room and settled next to Logan on the sofa. Scott snorted in amusement at the uncomfortable expression on Logan's face. There was plenty of room on the long sofa, but Chasity seated herself practically on Logan's lap.

Smiling seductively, Chasity extended a beer to either men, "I brought you both a beer."

Glancing over to catch Scott's bemused expression, Logan mumbled a thanks under his breath, while Scott nodded and smiled. Logan knew Scott was getting a kick out of watching him squirm, but fought the urge to tell him to fuck off. The last thing he wanted was to be alone with this girl.

"Ewww you're watching hockey?"

Chasity crinkled her nose in feigned disapproval. Rolling his eyes, and taking another drink, Logan looked straight ahead and tried not to think of all the skin that was pressed up against him. On the other end of the sofa Scott shrugged his shoulders and offered Chasity the remote. He could practically feel Logan's murderous look, but he smiled anyway. This was actually better than hockey.

"Thanks Scott." Chasity cheerily accepted the remote and started to surf through the channels, while Logan fumed. Finding 'Indecent Proposal' on HBO, she leaned into Logan and told him it was one of her favorite movies. Logan looked at her, about to say something when the floor behind the sofa creaked. He already smelled who it was, but it was Scott who turned around and greeted her first. The fact that he sounded so guilty didn't help matters.

"Hello Rogue."

At the mention of her name, Chasity moved away from Logan's side, fully aware that it would make him look worse. Logan turned around slowly. Anger was rolling like waves off Marie and they were directed at him, not the girl. He didn't know quite what to say, but Marie spoke first,

"Hi Scott."



Not wanting to acknowledge the other two, Marie turned around and left. She was waiting for it to be late to sneak out, but she quickly made up her mind to leave there and then. She needed to clear her head and flying always helped.

Marie swooped over the trees and settled in a patch of clean snow by a bench. It was risky to fly at twilight, when the sun was still not completely over the horizon, so she had to be especially careful not to be spotted. Making her way to the path cutting diagonally through Central Park, Marie walked briskly to the Upper East Side, carefully navigating around the late day joggers. The air was cold, but smelled of roasting peanuts being sold in the corners by street vendors. She loved living at the Mansion in New Salem, but something about New York City at night appealed to her. Her weekly escapades never gave her enough time to walk about like she wanted to, but today she really didn't care what time she got back.

Stepping onto the sidewalk and leaving Central Park on the northeast side, Marie meandered through the streets of Manhattan, stopping to look at shoes in expensive boutiques and lighted trees lining the avenues. Finally reaching her destination, Marie smiled at the doorman and stepped into the plush lobby. The elevator man made small talk with her, like he always did, as he took her to the penthouse floor. Stopping at the door, Marie hesitated for a second before going to knock, but it swung open before she got a chance.

"I was worried, you didn't come yesterday."

"Ah know Momma, Ah'm sorry."

Reaching For Marie's hand, Mystique led her in and closed the door behind her.



Two hours later, Marie was sprawled out on the huge four poster bed watching her mother shift from one fasade to another. They had mostly just chatted and had a few drinks while Raven got ready for some party Marie wanted to know nothing about. Nibbling on chocolates straight from a huge gold box, she was in the middle of explaining what it felt like to ride her horses.

"It's like the ultimate freedom, Momma. Almost close to flying."

Raven wrinkled her nose in disapproval. "They smell horrible, those animals. I never understood your obsession with them."

She was tempted to ask if that was why she liked Logan, but chose to hold her tongue instead. Morphing from a curvy redhead to a tall brunette body, she paused for a second and turned to face her adoptive daughter.

"What do you think?"

Dropping a mint centered chocolate back into it's foil cup, Marie turned her head at a slight angle to assess the form a little better. "Yah look great. It suits yah."

Smiling at Marie's honest response, Raven looked at her reflection in the mirror one last time before nodding in approval herself. Taking off her robe, she walked into her closet and started pulling out various outfits, each covered in plastic. Suddenly animated, Marie sat up and started sorting through them.

"So which of those do you like best?"

Hardly taking any time to think, Marie held up a green velvet number. "This one."

Rolling her eyes, Raven answered, "I should have known, you are so stuck on that color."

Slightly embarrassed, Marie resumed picking at her chocolates. "It's ah nice dress Momma."

Sighing to herself, Raven wondered when Marie would ever loose the habit of blushing. Between that and the big doe eyes, it made her look so naïve. "It is, but black is nicer."

Slipping a form fitting black cocktail dress over her slip, Raven motioned for Marie to zip her up. She knew that Marie was dying to know where she was going, but they had agreed a long time ago on a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy.

Turning to face her adoptive daughter, Raven asked what she asked every week, "Come with me, Marie."

And Marie answered what she always did, "Ah can't." Smiling sadly, she fussed with Raven's long black hair before adding, "Come home with me Momma."

Crossing her arms, Raven laughed out loud, "And just waltz into Xavier's and join the club." Slipping on her shoes, she continued with a more serious tone, "I think your little boyfriend would shred me on the spot, or did you forget the last run in we had!!"

Suddenly uncomfortable, Marie shifted her weight from one foot to another. "He's not my boyfriend."

Snorting, Raven turned around while she put on her earrings, "How stupid do you think I am?" Immediately regretting the harshness in her tone, Raven held her breath as Marie turned pale. She hated that more than she hated the blushing. Damn, the girl was so predictable.

"I'm sorry, word gets around...I could never believe what Xavier preache..."

Remembering how long it took them to get to this point, Marie quickly stopped her from saying what she least wanted to hear, "It's okay, don't ask, don't tell remember."

Nodding in agreement, Raven backed away from her daughter and sworn enemy. "You should go, they'll notice."

Sniffing back her tears, Marie agreed and went to get her green cloak, but not before Raven stepped forward and gave her a gingerly, careful hug. It had taken almost four years after Marie ran away to finally seek her out and see her. Despite Marie's betrayal to the cause, she couldn't bear to be away from Marie that long again. Pecking her a quick kiss on the head, Raven muttered in a low voice, "I am sorry."

Marie nodded sadly, "Ah know Momma."

Suddenly remembering something she wrapped up for her earlier, Raven took out a package from the closet and handed it to Marie, "I was saving it for your birthday. Open it when you get home."

Adding the half-eaten box of chocolates to the bag, she smiled tightly before opening the sliding doors leading to the terrace. "I won't be in New York City next Tuesday, come see me on Friday okay?"

"Thank yah, Momma."

Feeling slightly better, Marie gave her another quick hug before adjusting her scarf and flying off. Soaring high over the Hudson Valley, she traced her familiar route back home through Westchester County. The package Raven gave her was tucked tightly under her arm. Curiosity was killing her, but it had started to snow slightly and she wanted to get home to open it. Setting down about a mile away, Marie walked briskly to 1407 Graymalkin Lane on foot, wondering just what rich fool her mother was going to rob tonight.



Logan looked at the clock on the wall for the hundredth time. When Marie left that afternoon, he had wanted to go after her, but by the time he reacted, she was long gone. Super sensitive tracking abilities weren't worth shit with flyers. Sensing his concern, Storm and Jean exchanged looks. Scott was very upset earlier on also, but as the hours went by, his demeanor changed considerably. He was no doubt mulling over countless explanations for what they found. He really liked Marie but like the others he was hard pressed to find a good explanation that would make sense. But their waiting would come to an end soon enough. Logan had stopped pacing, cocking his head to one side.

Marie flew up to her window, but found the shutters locked. Recalling the state of mind she was in when she left, she cursed at herself for being careless and decided to go through the front door. It was almost midnight and almost everyone should have been asleep. Stealthily letting herself in, Marie stepped into the darkness of the foyer but stopped short when she heard the tickle of the Professor's voice in her head.

--Rogue, we were waiting--

Temporarily frozen in place, Marie considered her options before putting down the package and walking slowly into the living room. After all it might have been about her leaving earlier, but when she saw Scott, Jean, Ororo, and the Professor sighting around with carefully controlled expressions on their faces, she knew that it wasn't

The Professor waved his hand to the empty seat next to his wheelchair. "Take a seat please."

Swallowing hard, Marie made her way to the seat, taking off her hood as she went. "What is wrong, Professor?"

Not able to stand the smell emerging off his Marie, his Marie, Logan spoke up from where he was leaning against a wall, "What's wrong is you smell like that bitch."

Marie had not noticed his presence when she walked in, but now her heartbeat jumped to triple time when she saw the anger and hurt in Logan's eyes. They knew and her heart turned in it's place at the disappointment evident in everyone's face. Tears welling in her eyes and unable to speak, Marie looked down as her cheeks flamed a bright red.

The Professor gave Logan a look before continuing, "Marie we are not here to make accusations. We just simply want an explanation for what was found in your room." He carefully motioned to the shiny locket on the table beside him.

Snapping her head up in surprise, Marie's shame turned to anger. "That was in my things! Yah had no raght..."

Scott stood up as Marie did too. Of all the ways she had pictured telling them, none had ever been like this.

"Rogue please calm down, that's not important right now..."

Walking up to Scott, Marie spit out her anger. "The hell it isn't." Turning to look at the alarmed Jean, and Storm's downcast eyes, she knew instantly how this had happened.

"It was the little bitch Chasity wasn't it?"

Scott instinctively looked over at the Professor for guidance, who calmly considered the scene before him. It was all Marie needed as an answer. Turning to face a worried Logan with her hands tightened into fists, Marie continued, "Wasn't it!!"

"Marie, we just want to know. We understand you might relate to her from your capture and..." Wanting to soothe her, Scott went to place his hand on Marie's shoulder but she flinched back. Squeezing her eyes tight, Marie screamed out what had haunted her for almost two years.

"She's my mother!! Mystique is my mother!!"

Watching the look of total horror that came over everyone's face, Marie looked over to the Professor. Even he was shocked. Wiping at the tears that were streaming down her face, Marie snatched up the locket, turned and ran.

"Marie, wait!!"

Logan was fast at her heels, but Marie was faster. Opening the front door so fast that she took it off it's hinges, Marie flew back out into the night air. Her mind was a blur and the tears that froze on her face were the only things that she could feel in the cold snowy night. She unconsciously headed north for what seemed like hours, but eventually the elements won out.

Unable to think and slowly losing the feeling in her hands, Marie came to a stop by the side of a highway. Straightening out a little, she walked into the motel and asked for a room. Eyeing her distraught appearance, the old night clerk quickly took her credit card and led her to his nicest room, advising her to leave the bum all the way. Unable to talk, Marie nodded tiredly until she was alone. Shedding her coat to the floor, she crawled under the sheets and cried herself to sleep with the picture of her mother set in a gold locket in her hands.



Logan roared through the highway on his motorcycle headed towards the location the Professor had found on Cerebro. Guilt gnawed at him as much as the cold did, but he was intent on finding Marie and making up for what he had thought of her. Of all the things they imagined, none of the X-Men, including the Professor, had ever imagined that Mystique was Marie's mother. It occurred to him that after living at the Mansion for so long, no-one really knew anything about Marie - not even her last name. Passing the sign that signaled the town he was searching for, Logan shut off the high speed button on his bike and pulled off the exit.

Entering the room as quietly as possible, Logan took a moment to think. Despite Scott's objections, the Professor agreed that he would be the most appropriate one to go see Rogue and he had taken off like a bat outa hell, but standing in the room with her now, Logan had no idea on how to proceed. Riffling his hair in frustration, he decided to fuck it all. Taking first his jackets and then his boots off, Logan sat on the bed, leaned over and kissed Marie on the forehead. Blinking a few times with eyelashes still wet from crying, Marie eventually opened her eyes and stared back at Logan hazily.

"Are you runnin' again?"

His voice was practically a whisper and Marie thought back to the first time he asked her the very same question. Back when she had the biggest crush on him and she didn't have white in her hair.

"Do yah hate me?"

Logan snorted at the simplicity of her words, "I could never hate you."

Searching deep into his eyes, Marie was content to see that Logan was not lying. Tears welling up again, she sat up and he crushed her to him with his arms.

"Tha others."

"They understand." Pulling back, Logan gave her another peck on the cheek before adding, "They just needed to know."

Marie nodded quietly and wiped at her face. "Ah guess Ah should've been honest from tha start, but tha more time went by, tha harder it was."

Logan thought about that statement when something occurred to him. He went to where his jackets were and produced a familiar package.

"You left this."

Holding her breath, Marie looked at the box on her lap for a while before opening it. Pushing the pink paper aside, she came to a picture in a silver frame. Choking back a sob, Marie stared at the picture for a long time before showing it to Logan. He cared for her. They all did and because they did, they deserved the truth.

"This is my real mother and me as ah baby." Fearing that she may never again have the courage to tell her story, Marie inhaled deeply and continued.

"Her name was Sarah and she died when Ah was four. Raven was her lover and when she passed, Raven raised me like her own until the authorities took me away. Ah was thirteen when Ah went ta live with an aunt." Stopping for a moment to look up at Logan's reaction, Marie continued.

"When tha whole thing with Cody happened and Ah ran away, Ah headed up north 'cause Ah heard that's where Raven went. Ah met yah and tha X-men instead, but when Magneto took me, she came ta see me and ..."

Tears welled up at the memory again, and Logan wondered if he should stop her. But Marie took another minute to calm down and start over. Logan listened carefully.

"Raven came ta see me, only she called herself Mystique now and she hated me. She told me how they persecuted her when they found out she was raising a 'normal' child. And Ah was ah mutant all along."

Pausing to chuckle briefly at the implicit irony, Marie swallowed hard again.

"She considered me her own child, and when they took me, it turned her into a ... monster. She hated normals and Ah think that was why she sought out Magneto. She was tha one that told him about me and my power. Afterwards, when Magneto was in jail, she decided ta make it on her own as ah thief. She was in New York and came ta see me."

Noticing the frown lines on Logan's face deepen, Marie caught his hand before continuing, "It was two weeks after yah left. She wanted me ta join her, but ah found ah home with Xavier and ......ah just couldn't. But Ah see her whenever Ah can because.......she needs me."

Her voice lowering down to a whisper, Marie looked up again to find Logan staring intently at her. She could see that he was absorbing all that she had just said, so it surprised her immensely when she heard his next question.

"What's your last name?"

Blushing, Marie looked down at her gloved hands and smiled. Logan slowly smiled too because he knew Marie had her secrets and maybe someday she'll let him know. Stretching down beside her, Logan held her close, while they contemplated the picture in the silver frame on the bedside table.

It had her mother holding Marie while sitting on a blanket in the green grass. She was wearing a yellow sundress and Marie had on pink overalls. Her skin was uncharacteristically browned and glowing from a suntan. The sunshine bounced off both their hair, revealing the same deep brown.

"You look like her."

Marie was snuggled in under Logan's arm and rewarded his comment with a kiss on his shoulder. The sun was just starting to peak into the room, but both Marie and Logan were tired. Feeling the curve of the small of Marie's back, Logan growled in satisfaction. She was fine and they were together. The sound reverberated off his chest reminded Marie of a big cat.

"Maybe we can stay here a few days."

"No, Ah hafta get back."

"Why?" Logan opened his eyes in curiosity.

"Ah gotta kick someone's ass."

Logan chuckled and held her closer.

"I love it when you kick ass."