Finished with a quick tour around the perimeter of the property, Scott Summers settled into the couch and eagerly pulled out his first book, "What to Expect When You're Expecting." He'd been waiting for a couple of days to get started reading. Jean justlaughed at him when he went out and bought them.

'I'm only three weeks along, Scott.'

'You can never be too prepared, Jean.'

That's what he'd told her anyway. In reality, Scott was just too excited to wait. They'd been married almost a year. And he was going to be a daddy, he thought with joy.

He smiled a slightly evil grin thinking of all the things he could teach his son or daughter to do. Aim projectile vomit at Logan, pull out the hairs of Logan's muttonchops, scream really loudly into Logan's ultrasensitive ears. Boy, am I going to have fun, he thought as he flipped a page.

Curfew had expired a few minutes ago, and he only had to wait for the bad apples to show up. He was engrossed in the goings-on of the first trimester when he heard the tell-tale squeak of the side door opening.

He waited until Rogue was passing by the door to the rec room. "Rogue, you're late."

Rogue let out a deep sigh and came to face the music. "Yeah, Scott. I am. So what's my punishment? Kitchen duty? Washing the cars? Extra books to read for Lit class? Just give it to me so I can go upstairs."

Scott focused on her face, taking in the red-rimmed eyes and streaks left in her makeup by tears. "Why don't I make you tell me what's going on?"

Rogue plopped down next to him, not quite looking at him.

"It's about Logan."

Controlling the instinctive gnashing of teeth, Scott said smoothly, "Go on."

"He's being an ass and he's confusing me and I hate him," she exclaimed before burying her face into Scott's shoulder to cry some more.

Since Jean had told him about her chat with Logan, Scott had a pretty good idea that Logan and Rogue were headed for the end of the line. They'd either develop a long-term relationship (with the Wolverine, yeah, right, Scott thought) or they'd self-destruct. Scott had thought long and hard about which way he'd like to see it go. True, he didn't like Logan, but he had to agree with the man that Kyle was a pansy-ass. For Pete's sake, the kid had his nails buffed every week. Get a grip. And as much as he hated to admit it, Logan and Rogue seemed to complement each other quite well. Rogue was the only one who could calm Logan down once he got into slice-and-dice mode, and Logan was the only one who could get Rogue to shed her gloves in public. Not that the kids hanging out watching TV was very public, but until Logan came back, Rogue never showed an inch of skin - not even when she was wearing a body stocking over said skin.

Now, she'd run around without socks sometimes. And wear short-sleeve shirts in the summer, occasionally. Oh, she still wouldn't swim with the other kids, but Scott had heard rumors of Logan and Marie swimming together. He'd just chosen to ignore the part that said they'd been naked at the time. Nope. He wouldn't believe that for a second. Not even knowing several bottles of beer had gone missing that night. And not the cheap stuff - the professor's private stock.

Rogue's sobbing started to subside, and Scott decided it was time to get some answers. "So, what did the jackass do?"

He wasn't prepared for the smack she gave him across the cheek. "How dare you call him a jackass. Who do you think you are?"

"Excuuuuse me, Rogue. Didn't you just call him an ass?"

"That's different," she muttered.

"Fine. Whatever. Just tell me what Logan did that made you stay out past curfew."

"He ... he ... he kissed me," Rogue said, like it was the worst thing in the world.

Scott shook his head. "Wait - I thought you liked him?"

"I do, but he ... look, he hid and waited and watched while Kyle kissed me goodnight. Then he sprung from the shrubs once Kyle left, grabbed me and whirled me to face him and said, 'Let me show you how a real man kisses.' Scott, he kissed me senseless. It was wonderful and horrible at the same time. It was like the kiss was full of anger not tenderness, frustration not love. I don't want him touching me, kissing me unless it means something to him. Something more than proving his fucking manhood."

Scott just listened to Rogue, amazed at how badly Logan had screwed this up. Poor guy. Probably went nuts watching that pansy with his hands all over Rogue and just acted. Forgot Rogue would need more than heat, she'd need gentleness.

"Rogue, I have one piece of advice. Talk to Logan. Tell him how you feel about him and make him tell you how he feels about you."

"Scott, if I ever have to talk to that walking Neanderthal again, I'll kill him."

All of a sudden, Scott got the feeling she hadn't told him the whole story. "What are you leaving out, Rogue?"

She blushed but just shook her head.

"If you don't tell me, I'll make your punishment be extra personal combat classes with Logan. That should give you two time to work out your differences."

Rogue turned beet red and glared at him. "Fine, then, if you must know, fearless leader, we almost ... on the lawn ... and I think I told him I loved him ... and then he ... just stopped and said ... 'Beat it, kid. I don't feel the same way.' And he left."

Scott tried to put his arms around Rogue and give her a hug, but she shrugged him off.

"Now, if we've done enough of this sharing-how-Rogue's-life-sucks crap, I'm going upstairs. Just let me know what my punishment is tomorrow." She stomped away, leaving Scott staring at his baby books.

Yep, he was going to have to teach his offspring how to shit on Logan's head, that's all there was to it.