Author's Chapter Notes:
WARNINGS: This series contains a Feral!Logan/Rogue pairing, along with several scenes of lab-rat type experimentation. Be warned, this could be disturbing to some.
LAME DISCLAIMER: I own nothing. I tried to bribe God Stan Lee, but he said it'd take more than five bucks and a box of Krispy Kreme donuts to sway him. Don't sue, I'm so broke I had to dumpster-dive for the donuts.
FEEDBACK: Help me think I'm somebody else.
A/N: This started out as a PWP based on NIN's "Closer" - and then it had to go and develop a flamin' plot, and then... well, it's big now. I kept the title, though, because it works.
Friday, 0815 hours.


"Status rep-- Baker, what the hell's happened to your face?"

Baker looked up through the eye that wasn't swollen shut and relinquished his clipboard. "Nothing, sir. Ran into a door." Of course it was a lie, but he wasn't really inclined to tell his superior that he'd pulled a certain pretty lab tech he'd been lusting after into a closet and put the moves on her... and had gotten a black eye for his trouble. Damn that Innana! Stryker looked about as convinced as Baker looked convincing, so the young man cleared his throat and carried on. "The doe's in an awful state, sir. Her guard says she's been crying for the last two hours, and that she cried herself to sleep last night. She won't eat, won't drink, and barely sleeps at all."

"And Wolverine?"

Baker shrugged and gestured to the monitor. "See for yourself, sir - your guess is as good as mine. He's been sitting in that corner staring at nothing since my shift started, and he hasn't moved or talked or done much of anything all morning."

Stryker frowned. "How are his vitals?"

"Physically, he's fine, sir - heartrate and blood pressure normal, breathing regulated and even, showing no signs of adverse effects from the Alpha serum. Psychologically, well, again, sir - your guess is as good as mine. He has been unusually cooperative, but he still won't let us take a blood sample."

Stryker leaned down and hit the intercom switch. "Wolverine."

The apathetic image on the monitor said nothing.

"Wolverine, what's wrong? Aren't you feeling well?"

Without looking up, the crabby old buck raised one fist and extended the middle claw.

Stryker chuckled. "Temper, temper. That's no way to behave when you're about to see your pretty girlfriend, is it? I thought you'd be happy."

That got a reaction - the buck leapt to his feet and glared up at the camera mounted in the corner of the room. "Where is she?"

"She's fine - missing you, I'm told."

The buck's dark brows lowered and a deep, angry growl rumbled out of him.

"Oh, stop it," Stryker sighed, "she'll be brought to you shortly, I promise. Freshly bathed and sweet-smelling and no more damaged than the state you left her in yesterday."

A look akin to hurt flickered briefly across the buck's face, but was quickly replaced by the usual menacing glower. "I didn't leave her, you bastard - you took her outta here."

"If you were more cooperative about taking your injections, Wolverine, we might let her stay with you permanently - but you do tend to kill anyone in uniform that walks into your cell."

The buck snapped his claws out, rage darkening his rugged features. "You son of a bitch."

Stryker sighed again. "Keep it up, and you won't see her at all today. Stubborn animal."

"I'm not an animal!"

"Put your claws away, Wolverine - you'll be having company soon."

Stryker turned the intercom off and turned to Baker. "Send in a team to dose him with the Alpha serum - six men this time, and make sure they have shields."

************************************

Dr. Risman was becoming quite annoyed with her patient. The doe just lay there on the examination table, sobbing her heart out, jerking everytime an alcohol-soaked cotton ball was applied to a cut or laceration.

"Oh, stop it," she finally blurted in exasperation, as she tried to dab the bitemark on the doe's shoulder and the mutant let out an anguished yelp. "It doesn't hurt that much!"

"Why are you doing this to me?" the girl whimpered, struggling against her bonds. "What'd I ever do to you?"

"Oh, for--" Risman chucked the cotton ball into the trash and folded her arms, glaring down at the red-faced, tear-streaked doe. Maybe because she looked like a human girl, she was thinking like one, and she was just upset over losing her virginity. Hmmm. "Did he hurt you?"

The doe blinked, her wet brown eyes spilling a few more tears down her cheeks. "You're the doctor," she replied, her tone bitter. "You tell me."

Risman had to laugh - oh yes, this one was the perfect mate for the Wolverine! She pulled up a rolling stool and sat down on it, patting the doe's restrained arm in a halfhearted gesture of comfort. "You miss him, don't you? Your guard said you didn't sleep very well."

"Well, what'd you expect?" the mutant snapped, tears gone. "Why can't you just let us go? Why are you doing this?"

Risman smiled sympathetically and stood up. "You should be proud - you're a part of history, a puzzle piece of the future."

"What the hell're you talkin' about?"

The doctor smiled and picked up a pre-moistened sponge that smelled faintly of lemon. "Don't worry, we'll get you all cleaned up, and you'll look so lovely for your handsome boyfriend." She began to wipe the doe's face with the sponge, still smiling. "Close your eyes, honey, I've heard this soap stings like a bitch."

The doe squeezed her eyes shut tight, and Risman almost laughed again - it was the most cooperative she'd been in days.

"Soon as you're all set, we'll put you in with the Wolverine again - won't that be nice?"

Risman set to work sponge-bathing the rest of the mutant, who was finally silent.

************************************

Wolverine was anxious. Pacing. He'd woken up alone, and he didn't like it one bit. He didn't like the fact that his mate was still missing, and he sure as hell didn't like the fact that he couldn't get out of the room to go look for her. He stalked up and down the length of the room, claws out, slashing random things in frustration; unfortunately, almost everything in the cell was made of or lined with adamantium, so he couldn't even get the satisfaction of destroying something.

Abruptly, the inner door slid open, and Rogue was unceremoniously pushed in; the door swept shut behind her and sealed with a click. Wolverine ran to her immediately and pulled her into a nice secure corner, pushing her down to the floor where she was easier to watch over and guard.

"Logan - Logan! What're you--?"

He sniffed her all over, inspecting, assessing, assuring. She seemed all right, though her scent was a bit off - she had a slightly antiseptic smell, the smell of the white-coated humans who acted like predators and reeked of fear like prey. He growled and nuzzled into her throat, finding the warm spot below her ear where her pulse ticked nervously; wrapping both strong arms around her, he pulled her closer and inhaled deeply, finding the scent that was purely her underneath all that disinfectant garbage.

"Logan... Logan, you gotta listen to me, sugah, they got somethin' planned, and--"

She was making those noises again, the ones that sounded so carefully articulated and timed; he didn't get the meaning of them at all, and he wondered why she bothered with all that when a hiss or a growl or a purr or a sob would suffice. Although he did have to admit - when she made those noises while they were mating... now that was nice. He could listen to her do that for hours - and he had, now that he thought of it.

"Logan, there's somethin' goin' on here - the lady doctor told me th--mmmmphh..."

He kissed her deeply, cutting off the sounds; Wolverine had grown quite tired of the articulate junk, and was anxious to hear the mating noises again, now that he knew she was all right. She did smell vaguely of uneasiness; not exactly fear, and not exactly pain or illness, but a sort of nervous unrest that was putting him on edge. He didn't like that. It made him feel like she was hiding something, and he would not tolerate that from his mate.

He raised one hand and the claws sprang from their housings; without bothering to wait for her reaction, he sliced through her simple cotton gown - why did she keep putting those things on? - and pushed her down flat on her back.

"Logan!" she cried, shoving at his unyielding shoulders. "Will you listen t' me!?"

He bent over her and sniffed her - more carefully this time, starting with her hair, then down her neck, over her breasts - he couldn't resist giving those a nip or two - then down over her flat belly. When he reached the juncture of her thighs, he pushed her legs apart and bent down - and got a smack upside the head. He looked up with an angry growl, and found her glaring at him, face pink, delectable breasts heaving.

"Ah swear, Logan - Ah will get you to listen! Now stop that!"

He raised an eyebrow. She didn't want him to inspect her sex - but why not? Was there evidence there she was trying to hide? His face darkened, as if a cloud had passed over it. Had someone else taken her? Oh, he did not like that notion at all, and he didn't give a damn if the cell was indestructible - if someone had messed with the Wolverine's mate, there would be holy hell to pay.

He pushed her legs further apart, growling a warning that she should not try to stop him; she swung a foot up as if to kick him, and he ducked under it, quite effectively getting her leg up over his shoulder and opening her up to him rather nicely. She thumped the top of his head with a fist, but it didn't hurt very much and his skull was reinforced with metal anyway, so he wasn't too concerned about it. His main concern lay right there, hidden in all those soft, wiry curls, and without further delay, he bent down to taste it.

She moaned softly and the fist that had been hitting him uncurled and began to stroke his hair gently - which was much, much better, in his book. He pushed his tongue into her, eliciting a delightful cry and a tug on his hair, which was also nice. The fact that she was beginning to smell of arousal and was rolling her hips against his mouth? Damn near fabulous. But the most wonderful thing was, no matter how deeply he probed, no matter where he sniffed, licked, or tasted, he could find no one on her but him. His scent, his come, his flavor. She was his, and his alone.

"Logan... Logan! Ah'm tryin' to... oh... tell ya... oh, oh! Logan, you gotta st-- ohhh, God, Logan, right there, baby... Ah mean, wait, Ah... ohhhh, God!" She dug her nails into his scalp and pressed herself against his searching mouth, wailing with pleasure, heart pounding.

As soon as the spasms that shook her had ceased, Wolverine turned her over and thrust into her without further ado, fucking her hard and fast, one hand locked around her hip tight enough to leave a purpling bruise, the other playing with her nipples. She pushed back into his thrusts, little gasps and moans escaping her lips, her inner muscles squeezing him delightfully; he was so glad she was all right, so relieved to have her there and safe and warm and willing, and all he wanted to do at the moment was fuck her until neither of them could move anymore.

He pulled her upright a bit until she was bracing herself on the wall, leaning on her forearms; he buried his face in the crook of her neck and shoulder, pounding into her over and over, his rhythmic growls getting louder and faster, his hot breath stirring the damp, curling wisps of hair near her ear; she shuddered and came again, crying out in a most encouraging fashion, and then he was spilling into her, hot and wet and snarling as he bit into her nape.

He pulled her down to the floor again, curling around her protectively, and purred into her hair; she snuggled into the coarse hair on his chest and sighed, loving the soothing vibration of his rumbling body. "Ah swear," she said, in a mock-scolding tone, "how'm Ah s'posed to tell you anything when you keep doin' stuff like that?"

Hm. More articulating again. Her tone said she was pleased and satisfied, and maybe a bit amused, so he hummed a noncommittal little response and pulled her closer.

"Logan." He looked down at her, and she cupped his face in her hands, her expression serious. "They got somethin' up their sleeves - I don't know what they're doin', but it ain't right... we gotta get outta here. You understand?"

She looked worried. He didn't like that. But he had no idea what the hell she was going on about, so he did the only thing he could think of that would comfort and reassure her: he purred a little louder and kissed her.