Author's Chapter Notes:
Character death so be warned. I wrote it, read it and i'm wondering which bunny to slaughter for this one because I'm actually in an upbeat mood!
“Please Logan, it just wouldn’t be the same without you.” The honey lilt, the smooth southern tone rolled through Logan’s mind as he sat hunched over the phone in his tiny hotel room.

“I wouldn’t want anyone else to give me away at my wedding. I need you Logan.”

Shaking his head Logan rose and grabbed his jacket. He’d promised, he’d agreed but he didn’t like it. He knew he had to find a way out of this promise, a way out going back to watch her build a life with someone else. Someone who didn’t really understand her, someone who could never truly understand the woman she was.

He stroke hard hipped into the nearest bar and slumped at the bar. “Whiskey straight, leave the bottle.” He growled at the bartender a pretty woman about twenty five. Her long blonde hair was marked with a multitude of red and black streaks.

“What’s gottcha so heated up Logan?” She asked softly.

Logan shook his head. “Don’t matter. Nothing matters anymore. Jack still lookin’ for another ‘hand’?”

“You know that he is. He’s been after you for a week straight. What’s wrong Logan. Talk to me.”

“Nothing.” Logan ground out as he downed a shot. “Hey you uh got any of that good stuff?”

A raised eyebrow, a dart of shock in dark eyes and Logan had to bite his tongue to refrain from snarling at her. A moment later a small box sat in front of Logan, a slender hand wrapped around it.

“I’m off in ten wait until then okay?”

Logan shrugged, what was ten minutes compared to the rest of his life.

Ten minutes later with the box tucked into his jacket pocket, a bottle under his arm and the bartender beside him he made his way back to his hotel room. Plunking everything down he shucked his jacket and sat down on the edge of the bed.

He stared at the phone, pain wrapping itself around him. He’d lost her before he ever had her and now, now there was nothing left. He couldn’t pretend to be happy, couldn’t pretend to be one of the well wishers and yet he knew he couldn’t let her down. No he’d go back, he’d do what she wanted then he’d take what was left of his soul and disappear. Windtalker was always willing to put up with his drunken ramblings, with his moods when it came to her.

“Logan what happened? I thought you said that girl from New York was gonna call. Did you miss the call?”

“No. Wish I had though.” Logan grunted taking another long swallow of the whiskey. He laughed a cold, bitter sound. “She’s getting married in a month and wants me to be there to give her away.”

“What?” She gasped.

Logan snorted. “Guess I had it comin’ huh. She was always going to be above me Windy, gonna always be more than I deserved and now…now I’ve lost any hope of being human. I don’t want to feel, I don’t want to have to look in the mirror in the morning and know.”

“Are you going?”

“Don’t have much choice.” Logan glanced at her. “Hey you wanna go with me?”

Windtalker shook her head, “You didn’t wait did you?”

“Hey I’m on my sixth bottle already!” Logan protested and reached for the box. “You uh wanna help fix me up?”

“No but I will.” She replied softly. “Where do you want it?”

“Wherever it’ll hurt the most.”

Tapping down the contents of the syringe Windtalker glanced at him. “Just so you know I don’t approve of this.”

“Don’t fuckin’ care. I’m the one that’s gotta give my girl away. Hit me.”

She slid the needle into his thigh easily, depressing the syringe easily before stepping back. It was rare that Wolverine took a hit, usually he stuck to the booze but this was a different circumstance. Touching his face she smiled softly sadly, they’d have to get another hit for him before they left or else someone would get skewered…and the bride might get upset at having blood stains on her wedding gown.







Windy glanced uneasily at the man sitting next to her beside the truck. They were only about two hours away from Westchester, two hours away from the girl Logan loved so much but she doubted Logan would make it.

“You shouldn’t have taken that hit Logan.” She adomished quietly as she pushed his hair back from his face.

“Dddn’tt matter.” He slurred. “I cannn’t do it.”

“Shhh, I know.” Windy replied holding him. “I know Logan. Still you can’t let this destroy you. Come on let me help you…”

“NO!” The word was filled with violence. “No more help. No more friends, or caring I just want…”

“Shhh. Shhhh I know.” Windy soothed. “Here have a drink.” She held the bottle up to his lips and let him guzzle along swallow of whiskey down. It wouldn’t take very long before he’d lose consciousness. If she was lucky the drugs she carried to counter what he had in his system would keep him alive long enough to get him to a hospital. If she wasn’t lucky he’d die here on the side of the ride.

When Logan slid into the warm welcoming embrace of the darkness Windy dived for the black bag she carried and pulled out the fixed needle. Pulling the cap off she tapped it to knock the air out before slamming the needle into his chest and forcing the liquid into his system.

“Come on you stupid Canuck lets get you to help!” She said lifting him easily and depositing him in the back of the truck. “Damn fool should’ve known better than to fall in love.”

Pushing the truck as hard as she could Windy suddenly slammed on the brakes, pulling off to the side of the road and staring out the windshield with tears in her eyes. Her fingers trembled as she killed the engine and turned to stare at Logan. The soft, easing wheeze of his breath leaving his body told her more clearly than anything. Reaching for him she checked for a pulse and knew.

Unfolding the cell she punched in the number Logan had given her for when he was down this way. Silenty she counted the rings until a soft, feminine voice came over the line.

“Xavier’s Scool for Gifted Youngsters, Jean Grey speaking.”

“Good afternoon Dr. Grey. You don’t know me but I’m a friend of Logan’s.”

“He’s not here. We expect him sometime today though. I can get him to call you when he gets here.”

Windy blinked feeling the hot scald of a lone tear as it tracked down her cheek. “That’s what I’m calling about Dr. Grey. You uh you can stop waiting for him. He won’t be coming.”

“Why? Logan’s going to give Rogue away day after tomorrow.”

“No. He won’t.” Windy whispered sadly. “He’s dead.”

“What? NO that’s not…”

“Tell her...” she swallowed and tried again. “Tell her he loved her until he died and he’s glad she found happiness.”

“Wait where is he? What happened?” Jean’s voice held concern, shock, fear, and disbelief.

Windy smiled through her tears and stared at Logan’s peaceful expression. He’d been the closest thing to a brother she’d ever had and he’d accepted her totally, she couldn’t just let him go to some cold grave that wouldn’t be tended.

“I’m really sorry.” Windy choked out and hung up the phone. Sobbing she started the truck and put it into gear. It was time Logan had something more than a dream, she thought and turned the truck north. She’d take him home to his cabin, to the place he’d built for Rogue back when he’d dreamed he could win her heart and she’d do what she knew he wanted.



Jean glanced up sharply at the sound heels on hardwood and stared at Rogue for a moment.

“I thought I heard the phone.”

“Yeah, uh Logan won’t be coming.” Jean said hanging the phone up carefully.

“What? Why not?” Rogue demanded shocked that the one man she trusted to keep his word would break it.

“He’s dead.”

Standing in the sunlit kitchen Rogue stared at Jean as the older woman vanished and felt something within her shatter. For so long the Logan in her mind had been silent but now he roared in frustration, drowning out the buzz of the others in her head.

~I loved you too much Marie. I couldn’t honor that last request.~ The voice said. ~I couldn’t give away what I wanted more than life itself.~

Sinking to the floor Rogue sobbed as she realized just what she’d lost. Logan was gone; he would never come roaring back to the mansion on Scott’s bike. Never touch her, hold her again and she couldn’t fathom that fact.

The End