“You didn’t sleep.”
“Nope. It shows?”
“I still think we could have at least wake up my mom and told her we were leaving.”
“And have her coming with us? I don’t think so.”
“You don’t like her.”
“No.” I don’t like people, kid. Is that news to you?
“Was it something she said?”
“No.” Wasn’t something. Was fucking everything she said.
“Do you want me to drive?”
“No.” Just keep quiet, okay?
“Okay… Is it okay if I turn on the radio?”
“No.”
“You’re grumpy.”
“No… Yeah.”
“Look, if this is about what I said last night…”
“No, it isn’t.” I’m just having a bad day because I haven’t had a decent sleep in nearly a freaking week. Starts to wear on me. It would be a good idea to shut your mouth now, kid.
“What is it, then?”
“Do I have to have a reason? I’m just having a bad day. Would it be impossible for you to keep your mouth shut?”
“Yes, it would! I’m tired of this shit! I’m tired of you acting like some sort of fucking nutcase! You have had a bad life, I nearly killed you, I’m pain in the ass and not everything goes the way you like it! Get fucking over it already!”

“Get out of the car, kid.”
“What? Logan!”
“I’m not going back to Xavier’s. You can find another goddamned ride.”
“You can’t leave me here!”
“I can’t? Think again, Rogue. Get out of the fucking car before I throw you out.”
“You can try…” What the fuck is she doing? Taking off her shirt?
“My skin is on. It’ll stay that way until you take me back home.”
“Put your clothes back on, kid.”
“So you could grab me and throw me out? Think again, Wolverine.”
“Fine. Take the car. You know the way.” There’s a diner coming up in few kilometers. Can get a ride from there. I have had enough of this.

“Logan, come back. I’ll drive. I’ll be quiet. Just get back in to the car, okay?” No. I’m through with you. Through with Xavier. Through with this fucking world. Through with myself.
“Why the fuck you had to choose my fucking truck out of all those parked back there?”
“What the hell are you talking about?”
“I don’t want, I don’t fucking need some fucking kid to mess up my life! It’s messed up enough already! Just leave me alone, okay!”
“I can’t!”
“Why the hell not! I fucking gave you my life twice already, what more do you want?”
“My bag, for starters.”
“Your what?”
“You took my bag. Yours is still on the backseat.”

“Come on, Logan. It’s just one more day, and you can drop me off and go your way.” One day too many.
“Look, kid… I don’t like people. I don’t like Xavier. I don’t like your mom. I don’t like you.”
“Then why the hell do you hang around? Stick your nose in to my business and pretend that you care?”
“I don’t pretend. I fucking care about you. I don’t have to like you to care about you. You’re probably the first person who gives a rat’s ass about me. About my well being. I owe it to you to return the favor.”
“Owe to me? That’s a fucked up way to see things, you know.”
“That’s my way of seeing things. You’re a good kid. Just keep your mouth shut until we get back home, okay?”

I don’t fucking even know what to think about her anymore. I don’t owe her the time of the day. I don’t like her. But I don’t hate her either. Maybe if I weren’t this fucked up from the head… No. I’m afraid of her. And she’s just a kid anyway. No use for me. At the end of the day it isn’t soft words and cuddling I expect when I get back home, and that’s all she would have to offer. And I must be more tired than I thought, thinking things like this.

At least she’s quiet. Sulking? Definitely. But quiet. Retreated to backseat. Nose buried to some book. She’s always reading. Either harassing me or reading.

Oh, crap.
“Kid? You hungry?” I’m fucking starving. Last time we ate was before we snuck in to that bar last night.
“Marie? Earth to Marie, are-you-fucking-hungry?”
“Now you want me to talk?”
“Simple yes or no would do. I’m stopping to eat. You want something, or do you wait in the car?”
“I’m coming.”

On the other hand, I’m not completely sure if the card Xavier gave us will cover what she’s eating.

“It’s not going to grow pair of legs and walk out on you.”
“Fuck you, Logan. I’m hungry.”
“Don’t choke on it. Jesus, you make me look like a fucking pansy…” And that’s putting it mildly.
“Miss? Excuse me, miss? Could I have some more bacon, please?” Dear God in heaven…
“Keep eating like that and you’re going to have a stroke before you turn twenty.”
“What’s it to you? You don’t even like me, why should it matter to you?” Swallow before you speak, miss Piggy.
“Wasn’t planning to stick around anymore. Who’s going to rescue you when you need a heart transplant?” Because they’re not handing those out for muties.
“Would it matter even if you stayed?”
“Eat. I’ll wait in the car.”

Would it fucking matter? Why does she always have to do this? Ask questions impossible to answer? It mattered before. I took her with me. I was just going to give her a ride to next truck stop. Then Magneto and Xavier got involved. It mattered, because nobody messed with what was mine. Fucking nobody. I made her my business, because truth to be told, there was not much else I could call mine. Didn’t even realize what had landed on me before the statue. I fucking died up there. Took Jean nearly half an hour to resuscitate me. Yeah. It mattered then. But what about now? Does it still matter?

Fuck. This is giving me a headache. But it’s still easier to mull over these things out here than back at the mansion. Fewer distractions. More open space. More space to myself.