Author's Chapter Notes:
I heard this song ages ago and even posted a challenge for this song. This is my contribution to it! Hope y'all like it.

Sitting by the television she stared at the evening news with mixed emotions. She hated the updates, the flashes of pictures of violence from around the world. Hated the way her heart froze, her palms started to sweat, and a hard knot of fear choked her breath from her body.

She tuned out the news about this and that. She ignored the news about some minor politician’s illicit affair with his secretary. She paid little attention to a hostage situation in the Middle East.

Instead she lived for those moments of dread, those moments of fear. The films, the coverage of the war of the men fighting to save another were what she longed for.

“Today in the Da Nang Province in lower Vietnam fighting broke out between VC forces and US troops. Three US soldiers were killed in the attack that left two square city blocks in terror as bombs exploded. Twenty six civilians were also injured. The Secretary of War had this statement.” The Anchorwoman droned on. “An unprovoked attack such as this just gives credence to our cause. We must fight to protect these people, and to save ourselves from their terrorist activities. Intelligence has linked them to the recent attacks on London, Paris, and Berlin. Additional troops are being distributed to varied areas to assist in the protection of civilians during this crisis.

“The names of the fallen soldiers have yet to be released until next of kin has been notified.

The jarring ring of the phone scared her. Jumping to her feet she raced to answer it, hoping praying that it wasn’t bad news.

“Hello?” Cursing the weakness in her voice, the tremble in her fingers she clutched the phone tightly.

“Good evening, this is…” the clatter of the phone hitting the floor barely penetrated the fog in her mind as she swayed on her feet. Sinking to the floor in a boneless heap she sobbed desperately.

Wrapping her arms around her waist she rocked back and forth, harsh, racking sobs tearing her body apart. Her heart ached; her mind couldn’t process the cool efficiency of the voice on the phone. Instead she sat on the floor, a broken shell of the woman she’d been.


The pale fingers of dawn woke her and she blinked as she sat up. The annoying beep of the phone by her ear had her reaching for the receiver. A moment later it was slammed into place as she struggled to her feet.

With a calm she didn’t understand she made herself a cup of mint tea and some toast. She sat and ate it calmly, quietly her gaze on the picture on the wall. Taken a year before on vacation in Niagara Falls two happy faces laughed back at the camera. Strong arms were wrapped around her waist; hands that knew every inch of her body were resting on her stomach.

A gesture that spoke of care, of calm and she blinked at the burning in her eyes. Finishing her meager breakfast she rose and padded into the hallway. Carefully, one step at a time she climbed the stairs until she stood outside of their room. With a hand that trembled she opened the door and stepped into the bedroom.

Staring at the bed she swallowed. How many nights had they spent in that bed? How many times had they made love? Was their son conceived within those sheets? Trailing a hand over the dresser, over the furniture in the room she inhaled. She could still smell him, sense him, and feel him within this room.

There was so much of him here and she couldn’t stand to give that up. Turning she walked out of the room and closed the door with a soft click. Tomorrow she’d deal with it, tomorrow would be soon enough.


The soft, military style knock on the door had her jumping before she walked to answer it. Staring at the green suit she could feel the pain she’d been struggling with crash down upon her and she collapsed sobbing.

“Ma’am…Ma’am I’m sorry…” the soldier said catching her and offering her some support. “He uh he left this for you.”

Slapping at the letter she watched it flutter to the ground before scrambling toward it. Clutching it she held it desperately to her chest even as the ‘grief’ counselor held her.

With a shaky rip she opened the envelope and unfolded it.

My Dearest Lover;
I’m so sorry that you’re reading this. I’m sorry that I’m not coming home to you. I love you with everything within me. I wanted to be with you, with our child and watch him grow but you’re going to have to raise him for both of us. Please my love, please no matter what don’t give up. Don’t become bitter; don’t hide from life and love. Promise me that you’ll do this for me. I want you to live; I want you to love, I want you to GO on and not give up. I want you to try, I want you to know that I’m alright, I want YOU to fall in love again, I wanna see you smile again and again, I want you to live want you to love again



Sitting up Rogue gasped at the pain coursing through her body. Turning her head she stared at the old, faded picture that sat beside her bed. Reaching for it with hands that trembled she pulled it closer to her and hugged it hard.

“Please, please I want you to live. I want to feel you kiss me, hold me. Please God bring him home to me.” She cried softly.

“Honey?” The low, familiar husky tone drew her attention and she dived from the bed, scrambling across the floor and into the arms of the man standing in a tattered black leather uniform in the bedroom door.

“I love you.” She sobbed clinging to him desperately. “I don’t want to go on without you.”

Wrapped in familiar strong arms she cried, for the man in her arms and for the woman in her dream…a woman who she knew with startling clarity. Life had given her another chance, another turn to have forever and she wouldn’t be so careless this time.

“He died Logan, he died and left her. Please, please don’t do that.”

“Shh,” Logan whispered ushering her back into bed. “Come to bed and I’ll hold on until the nightmare fades.”

“I just want you to live Logan,” Rogue whispered softly as she slid into the dream world. “No more holding back, just live and laugh, and love.”

Nuzzling into her hair Logan sighed, their shared past was coming back to haunt both of them it appeared. The thing was now they could both move on, could learn from those mistakes. Closing his eyes he sighed, “Live, laugh, and love. You’re the boss.”



I want you to live by George Canyon



When she got the news
The phone hit the floor
She fell to her knees and cried his name
He had just kissed her lips
And both of the kids
Their lives will never be the same
At the end of her hardest day
The only words she could say were

Chorus:
I want you to live, I want you to love
I wanna go back to the way it was
To hear you say my name again
I wanna see your smile again
I want you to live
Takes all her strength to go through his things
It feels like she’s holdin’ him again
The letters he wrote the books that he’d read
and some of the shirts still have his scent
The picture in Florida
she holds to her heart and cries out loud

Repeat Chorus

Bridge
Lying awake in the middle of the night
Trying not to let the kids hear her cry
She prays for answer or some little sign
She closes her eyes
and swears she
hears him say
I want you to live, I want you to love
I want you to GO on and not give up
I want you to live, I want you to try
I want you to know that I’m alright
I want YOU to fall in love again
I wanna see you smile again and again
I want you to live want you to love again