”Are we there yet?”
“No. One more time and I stuff you through the airlock.”
“Are we there yet?”
“No.”
“Are we there yet?”
“That does it, kid…”
“Eep!”

When I first saw Cindy, I have to admit I wasn’t thinking ‘what an adorable child’. Slut was the first word that popped to my mind. Now, after spending over a week with her and Logan in the space… I can’t help wondering how young and childlike she still is. I don’t think I ever was that playful. Or that young.

“Fuck… That brat’s going to be the death of me…”
“My, my… Are you getting old?”
“Who are you calling old?”
“You. Can’t even chase down a little girl…”
“Won’t. There’s a difference. No use to chase down scared little girls when I already have everything I need right here…”
“Logan! We have company!”
“That company ran down to loading zone. Last time I saw her, she was going through your CD-collection. Showed her how those work. She’ll be occupied at least couple of hours…”
“Logan!”
“Fine. Don’t come crying to me when you’re all wet and horny…”

I have seen Logan this relaxed and at ease with only few people including me before. Come to think of it… Anna, Adele and me are the only ones up until now to see this side of him. Gentle and playful instead of angry and bitter.

“These are great! Where did you found these?” You wouldn’t believe if I told you.
“From a small boutique that sell antique back in Mars. They had a stack of those and a player. They didn’t know how to operate that player, so they gave them all to me on discount. Logan’s pretty good with electronics, so he figured out how that worked.” Not a complete lie. I bought those CD’s and the player back on Earth from a guy that was selling stuff he had found scavenging ancient ruins. Ancient. I hate that word. That guy preferred New York among other big cities of the past ancient. What word would he have used to describe Logan and me if he had known we used to live in those places?

It took a while from Logan to figure out how to convert the player work on solar power, and it took even longer, and even more colorful language when he hooked it to the electrical system of this skiff of ours. But it was worth it. Even Logan had to admit that when I put on a collection of old rock from sixties. 1960, that is.

“So, how long have you two been together?” Oh, Cindy… That’s even more unbelievable.
“Quite some time. Why?”
“No reason… I was just thinking… Before I met you, I had already tried to hitch a ride from few other pilots. They were… They wanted something in return for a ride. Only one was asking money. But Logan… He made quite clear from the beginning that he wasn’t interested in me. Not in that way…”
“Would you have liked if he was interested?”
“No. I had already decided to give you guys what ever you wanted just to get away from there, but I don’t think I would have liked that kind of attention very much. Not even from him. Sure, he feels like a nice guy, but there’s something… I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful or mean bitch, but he’s not all okay, isn’t he?”

Not all okay? That’s putting it mildly. Neither of us is all okay anymore. If we even were okay to start with. But we’re getting by. And we both have what matters the most. We have each other to lean on when going gets rough.