Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Jenn for the beta work. This chapter takes a jump in time.
Marie blinked against the harsh fluorescent lighting, squinting as she tried to get her bearings.

“Logan?” Her voice was scratchy, like she hadn’t talked for a while. She looked down, picking up a tube that was attached to her arm. She saw the white covers, the sterile surroundings, and the patronising calm blue walls. She was in a hospital. Fear started to take hold. “Logan?” Her voice was stronger this time.

“S’okay darlin’, I’m right here.” Logan scrubbed his face with his hand, getting out of the chair in the corner to stand by her bedside. He lifted a hand, stroking her hair.

Marie visibly relaxed, closing her eyes and taking in his familiar scent. Then her face contorted in pain, and her hands flew to her ears. She let out a groan. Voices filled her head, creating an unbearable level of white noise.

“Marie, darlin’, stay with me.” Logan grabbed her shoulders, holding onto her as she tried to curl up into a ball. “Just breathe, okay?”

“Easy for you to say, bub.”

Logan frowned at the familiar growl lacing her voice. It looked like his personality was making itself known again. He stepped back a bit as she bared her teeth, trying to shake off his grip.

Suddenly she was limp again, tears rolling down her cheek. “What’s happening?”

Logan cocked his head. The voice wasn’t Marie’s, and the scent of fear rolled off her in waves. Sobs started wracking Marie’s slender frame and he pulled her close, her face pressing into his chest. He stroked her hair. “Ssh darlin’, it’s okay you’re safe.”

This time when she spoke, he was pleased that the voice was definitely hers.

“My powers are back, aren’t they?”

Logan’s frown deepened and his hold on her tightened. “Yeah.” What else could he say? He held her for long minutes, until her body stopped shaking.

Marie pulled back, looking up at him. She wiped the tears from her cheeks with the back of her hand. “I drained someone.” This time it wasn’t a question and Logan could only nod.

Marie sucked in a breath, frowning as she tried to remember and sort through the noise in her mind at the same time. “So far it’s only you up there and… Oh my god!” Fresh tears started rolling down her cheeks. She let out a gasping breath. “Helen!” She pressed her face back into Logan’s chest. “I didn’t kill her did I?”

Logan began stroking her hair again. “No, darlin’. She’s… She’ll be fine.” He hated hiding the truth from her, but now was not the time to let Marie know the girl was in a coma. He tried to lighten the mood. “Guess I should thank you for putting me down as your brother, and not your father.”

Marie looked up. “What are you talking about?”

Logan tried not to grimace at the wet mess his t-shirt was turning into. “I’m your emergency contact.”

Marie nodded absently. “Oh yeah, forgot about that.”

Logan gently pushed her back onto the pillow. “Close your eyes, darlin’, get some rest.”

Marie’s hand gripped his shirtsleeve. “Promise me something?”

Logan nodded, stroking her hair. “Anything.”

Marie swallowed back the new lump in her throat. “When they let me go, promise me we’ll get out of here. Promise you’ll take me away.” She struggled to stop the tears from spilling. “Please, Logan.”

Logan kissed her forehead lightly. “Don’t worry darlin’, I’ll take care of everything.” He looked at her. “Anything in particular you want packed?”

Marie shook her head, her eyes drifting shut as her grip on his sleeve loosened. She mumbled something, making him smile. Logan watched for a bit longer, making sure was definitely asleep before turning on his heel and stalking from the hospital room. He had to go and pack their things, trade the car for a truck and he’d come back for her. He was going to get her out of New York as quickly as possible, before anyone at the mansion cottoned on to what was going on. Last thing Marie needed right now was a nosey bunch of X-Geeks crowding around her.


Marie moaned, her dreams turning into nightmares as she relived the moment she absorbed Helen, her memories mixing with Logan’s nightmares from being turned into the Wolverine. She cried out, her eyes snapping open. Logan’s gruff face appeared, and she clutched his shirt, shaking and sweating.

Logan made soothing noises, holding her to him. “I’m so sorry, Marie.”

Marie kept her eyes open, afraid to close them again. “Not your fault.”

Logan grimaced. “I know, I just—you shouldn’t have to deal with this again.”

Marie looked up at him. “I thought it was gone for good. Three months of being ‘normal’, figured I was well and truly cured. I guess nothing in my life is meant to last.” She swallowed back the growing lump. “It’s even worse the second time around.”

Logan raised an eyebrow. “The nightmares?”

She shook her head. “Not being able to touch.”

Logan kissed her, holding her to him. It was at least a minute before her mutation began to take affect. He let her go reluctantly, giving her a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. “Maybe this time you can learn control.”

Marie sniffed. “You think so?”

Logan nodded. “Now come on, let’s get out of here.”

Marie let Logan carefully take out the needle in her arm, before taking the clothes he offered her. She changed in front of him, leaning on him occasionally while she still tried to regain her strength. She pulled on the gloves last.

Logan tapped his temple with a finger. “How is it up there?”

Marie shrugged. “At the moment, you’re the loudest. I think you’ve scared Helen.”

Logan tried not to grin. “And Magneto?”

She shrugged again. “Still no sign of him so far.”

Logan took her by the hand, guiding her out of the hospital. He’d signed the release forms earlier, so he only acknowledged the nurse attending the station with a curt nod. Marie tugged on his hand, making him stop.

She was looking into a room. “Is that her room?”

Logan frowned. “Marie, I don’t think—”

She didn’t give him a chance to finish, letting go of his hand to walk into the room. She smiled nervously at Helen’s parents, stammering through an introduction. They smiled sadly, the mother giving Marie a hug. Logan hung by the door, folding his arms across his chest as he watched her talk to them. The mother was wiping tears from her eyes with a handkerchief. The father kept his eyes on his daughter, not really acknowledging his wife or Marie. Finally Marie looked at Helen, her hand flying to her mouth as the mother told her that she was in a coma.

Logan smelt the tears before they fell down Marie’s cheeks, quickly walking to her side and putting a protective arm around her.

“You didn’t tell me,” she whispered. Her voice held only a little accusation, but it was enough to have Logan feeling guilty.

“Was waiting for the right time.”

She looked up at him. “And when would that have been?”

He shrugged. “Years from now?”

Marie didn’t laugh. “I’m so sorry.”

The mother looked at her. “What for, sweetheart? You didn’t do anything.”

Marie opened her mouth, and then closed it. Now was not the time to be outing herself as a mutant. “I’m still sorry.”

The mother nodded. “You’re a kind girl.” Her eyes fell back to her daughter. “Just like Helen.”

Marie gave the mother a brief hug, following Logan out of the room. She didn’t say anything until they were in the truck.

“I never got to say sorry to David’s parents.”

Logan looked over at her as he started the engine. “Does it help?”

Marie met his gaze. “Honestly?”

He nodded.

“A little. But it still hurts, knowing that I did that.” She turned to look out the window, watching the buildings as they went past.