”Hi, honey, I’m home.” And damn it is good to be here. Eighteen hours straight in that fucking tunnel…
“How have you been?” It’s nice to have somebody to come home to.
“Hungry?” I bet you are. I’m fucking starving. Yeah. She’s practically purring already. Shower, food, and some quality time in front of TV with her. Would be nice. Very nice. Shit, can still feel the vibrations in my bones…

“Coming to shower with me?” Nope. That would be the day. No. She just checked the place up.
“Good enough for me?” Looks like it. Have to get these clothes off… Fucking sleeves are stiff from concrete and shit… Fuck it. I’ll just cut them off.
“Hey!” Yeah. I know my claws make you hot, darling, but keep your distance. Don’t want to nick you.

Earth became unsuitable environment about twenty years ago. We hitched a ride to the first possible craft, ended up to moon first. Spend couple of years there. We decided to move on, and these last years we have lived on Mars. Not a bad place. I worked first as a miner, then got a better deal from a firm that constructs railroads between Stations. Marie’s doing again what she does best. She’s a librarian.

Speaking of which, shouldn’t she be home already?
“Where’s your mommy? Hasn’t she been home yet?” And do I have a hairy child or what? Here, kitty-kitty-kitty… Nope. Can’t smell Marie on her. Where the hell is she? And what the fuck is that beeping noise? It’s been going on forever… Oh. My beeper. Hey, it’s Marie!

“Hi honey. Where are you?”
“In a train. There was a delay. Some tunnel had collapsed and I have been waiting in Main Station for six hours. Are you home already?”
“Yeah. Got a bit worried when you weren’t here…”
“Sorry. I wasn’t sure if you had gotten off work already, I would have called sooner if…”
“Don’t worry about it. I just came in. Shirley’s keeping me company. I’m probably sleeping when you get here.”
“Okay. I won’t wake you.”
“Wake me up. I missed you.”
“Well, I’ll see you in couple of hours.”
“See you.”

Collapse. Fucking nice. If I’m lucky, I have the time to kiss her for goodbye when she comes home before I have to go. My team’s on-call this month. Fucking great… Wonder which one it is. Hmph. Better stop wondering and start eating. Won’t have time to do that later. And there goes the beeper again…

“Yeah?”
“Logan?”
“I heard already. Where do you need me?” And when?
“Xavier’s Pass. I know you have been busting your ass in that new line. I have some guys there already, sleep few hours. I’ll call if I need you there.”
“Okay… Gary, thanks. I’d come now if…”
“You’re not a machine, Logan. Won’t do any good for me to drive my best man to early grave. Go to sleep.”
“I’ll do that. See you later, Gary.”

Xavier’s Pass. Of all the places… Gives me the creeps. We lost more men drilling that tunnel that we usually loose in three or four normal tunnels. Falling rocks, gas pockets, loose sand… That fucking place is a death trap. Couldn’t go in with the automated drill, we had to do it the old-fashioned way, with power drills. Took six fucking months to go through that hell. We, Marie and me, weren’t sleeping much during those months. I was too wound up, and Marie was absolutely terrified. She’ll go berserk when she hears that I’m going back there…

“Come on, Shirley. Daddy needs a good cuddle…” There’s something seriously fucked up with this cat. Whenever somebody picks it up, it goes boneless. Just a loose puddle of brown and white fur. It’s something in its genetic structure. I think Marie called it a rag doll once.