Rub al-Khali, Southern desert of the Arabian peninsula The Gazir Oasis

Lo'gan checked the position of the moon as it began it's descent over the horizon and since it was almost halfway past gone, spurred Nayif on a little faster. Thankful that they had at least rested most of the night, Lo'gan was gambling that he and his men could cover the half-day's journey that was left to the oasis in only a few hours. He was at the head of his twelve horsemen and knowing that the Dawasir party was only a few lengths ahead of them, brought his stallion to a steady run that was followed by everyone. It was not a pace they could keep for long, but it was of the essence that they catch up to the Dawasir and reach Gazir first.

His only regret was that his father had come along. Chancing a glance to his right, Lo'gan checked to see how Khalaf was doing. The old Sheik was more used to the steady trot of camels by now, but he seemed to be doing well. His grip on the reins was secure and his horse kept up with Nayif well enough. The only thing that seemed odd was the Khanjar blade at his side. Lo'gan turned his attentions back on the sands up ahead not able to recall the last time he had seen him wear it. It was a beautiful piece, adorned with lavish gold tendrils on either side of the teak handle, but it seemed ill fitting to his increasingly tranquil character.

In his childhood, Lo'gan remembered the tales the clan poets told of his father's exploits in battle. He was truly feared and respected by the entire region, but as the years went by, something in the old man changed. His character was as noble and courageous as ever, but he was more subdued and serene in his dealings with others. In the always changing world of trade, it was wise to be conscious of ones enemies and protect your own clan's interests, but his connections with other merchants became more lenient and diplomatic in nature.

Lo'gan understood his desire to want unity and shared wealth among the clans, however, not everyone shared his father's thinking. The Dawasir were dangerous and clever and no matter how much Lo'gan tried, not a year went by that they didn't meet in violence. It was inevitable when you shared similar trade routes with your enemy. Riding into the direction of Gazir, Lo'gan prayed to the guardians of the desert that his father's quest for coexistence didn't give their sworn enemies the upper hand.

Checking to see his own Khanjar blade was tilted at a perfectly accessible angle, Lo'gan focused once again on the ground they were covering. It was about time that they intersected the rival clan and as if on cue, they went over the last dune just in time to see the Dawasir caravan up ahead. The moon was completely gone now and brought with it the darkest part of the dawn that precedes daybreak, but the nearly hundred camel procession had lit torches and oil lamps to light the way. The chain stretched out and spilled over many dunes and in the very fringes of this were the Dawasir horsemen. They did not have lamps, but their dark shadows were an even distance from each other as the whole convey moved. Just like the Jabir, they were on special alert.

Lo'gan felt his men perk up alongside him and made quick assessments of the distance they were to cover. He could tell the Dawasir were moving remarkably slow in their exhaustion to reach Gazir first and felt content that his own family was safe and sound far behind them. They had made plans before departing their own camp and on cue all thirteen men shouted into the night when he raised his hand and gave the signal.

"Strength and honor!!"

With their most formidable yell, the Jabir horsemen broke formation and in a full run moved to intercept their rivals. It wasn't often that two clans reach an oasis at the same time, but when they did, it was the first who stepped foot on it that could lay claim to it first. As expected, the Dawasir caravan fragmented in its panic. The Dawasir horsemen all twirled around in their saddles in an effort to see who had snuck up to them, and seeing the black and scarlet tassels that adorned the reins of the Jabir horses moving closer, immediately broke from the chaos of the convey to open ground.

Had it been anyone else, they would have clustered tightly around their families and possessions, but Khalaf and his men were not ruthless. They never stole their possessions or hurt their tribespeople. They were after only one commodity – water. But unfortunately that was more valuable than gold itself and something the Dawasir needed too. Breaking away as fast as they could from the alarmed people and scattering herds, the Dawasir headed for open ground just as the sun started to crown over the horizon. In any other situation, they would turn and fight head on, but this was not a fight, it was a race.

Despite their head start, the Dawasir horses were tired and thirsty. Lo'gan saw this and immediately tore off with his best two fighters at his side. The remaining ten spread out and tapered back, all together forming a V with Lo'gan at the head. Still using the advantage of surprise, the Jabir horsemen cut through the disorganized Dawasir and surpassed them easily enough. But that was not the end. The Dawsir formed a hasty V of their own and chased behind the others. Furious that his men were not prepared despite all the assurance that they were, The Dawasir leader, Salih, sought out his son in the crowd. Taking his old horse to the limit, he came up alongside him and slapped his camel switch across the hindquarters of his son's horse.

"Don't allow them to reach it first!!"

The animal burst into speed in response to the switch and giving his father a heated look back, Harabi pulled to the head of their own sloppy V quickly enough. But they were still some length away and the Jabir knew exactly what they were doing. Protecting Lo'gan at the head, they systematically closed in on the Dawasir formation in an effort to slow them down. The strategy was simple, but effective. Just as someone pulled ahead, a Jabir horseman would stall and cross his path, engaging him in a high speed maneuver that would force the yellow and black clad Dawasir to trip and fall behind.

The fall from a high speed chase was always a nasty one and before long a trail of groaning men were left in the dust. One by one, the Dawsir fell victim to this ploy until at very last the Sheik's son, Harabi, called to his men to fall back. The remaining five clustered around him and at full gallop, they began a different tactic.

Lo'gan looked back as the desert sky exploded in vibrant colors and seeing all of his twelve men still on either side of him, grinned. But in the distance, he could see the remaining Dawasir regrouping. About to raise his hand to signal a tighter grouping, he had a second thought as young Rakan came into view alongside him. Dropping his hand once again, he ventured one last look back, before stretching out his arm to either side. The Jabir looked at each other questioningly for a moment, but quickly did as they were told. They were expecting a command from Lo'gan to turn and fight, but instead he signaled for them to part six on either side of him. Khalaf hesitated the most, but eventually did as he was ordered just as the rumbling of the Dawasir horses passed them. He was going to exercise his authority to overrule Lo'gan's command, but he smiled instead as it became clear what Lo'gan was planning.

The scene around them was being bathed in light as the sun was rising slowly and it showed a marked change in the land. The sand was still everywhere, but interspersed in its dunes were small clumps of grass and the occasional shrub. Looking further up ahead past the Dawasir cluster of men and then Lo'gan, he could make out vague shapes in the distance. They were tall and pointed to the sky and anyone would recognize them from a distance as beacons. They signified lifewater and held guard to Gazir.

Lo'gan chuckled as he crossed another sand drift and the green landscape of Gazir came into better view. As lush and fertile as he remembered it, he grinned again, just as Nayif started moving faster of his own volition. He patted his horse and crouched a little lower in his saddle, knowing the stallion was tired, but as eager for water as he was. Not needing to look back to see that the Dawasir were right behind him, he decided to show just how magnificent his animal was.

Meanwhile, Harabi was nearly in a fit as it became clear that they were going to lose. Digging his sandaled feet into his new horse, he spurred the animal to run faster. He could recognize Lo'gan anywhere and tired of always being second, he decided to give the final leg of the race all he had. Taking out a sharp switch with little brass beads embedded at the end, he flogged his horse to move faster. Terrified, the animal responded and smiling at his advance, Harabi chuckled as he broke away from his men and was closing in fast on Lo'gan. Before he knew it, he had caught up and was almost neck and neck with the older man.

But surpassing Lo'gan was not be an easy task. Upping the stakes on their mad dash to the fertile oasis, Lo'gan crouched even lower to Nayif's bulging neck and encouraged the animal softly.

"Com'on Nayif, you're faster than this. We can make it."

Having ridden together for years, the animal responded to his master's voice and galloped at an even greater speed, tearing up the thickening grass under his hooves in the process. Meanwhile, Harabi's horse was starting to fall behind. He was still lightening fast, having left everyone else far behind, but Nayif was faster. Spurred on by love for his master rather than painful switches to his hide, Nayif tapped on his magnificent power and superior bloodline and pulled ahead of his competition easily. Harabi cursed and strapped his animal even harder, but Lo'gan and Nayif were long gone. Instantly feeling the change in air that the swaying palm trees produced, Lo'gan yelled triumphantly as Nayif reached the first palm tree that marked the entrance to the closest thing to paradise nestled in the desert expanses. Skidding the horse to a stop, Lo'gan patted his neck with pride and whispered in his large, pointed ear.

"I never had a doubt, boy, I never had a doubt."

Swinging his leg back to dismount the sweaty stallion, Lo'gan tore off his ghutra headpiece and threw it to the ground, then took his Khanjar blade out of his sash and walked to the nearest palm tree. Slicing the lowest fan shaped leaf off with a single swipe, he turned and walked back to where Nayif was munching happily on a few sprigs of grass and turned to face Harabi as he skidded to a stop also. His horse shuddered and frothed through his nostrils. Lo'gan actually felt a pang of pity for it, but seeing both the Jabir and the Dawasir approaching fast in the distance, held up the palm for all to see. Turning to face Harabi, who stumbled out of his saddle to the ground, he proclaimed.

"As our ancestors have done, I reached this oasis first and claim it for the Jabir."

Harabi smiled at his adversary ruefully.

"You are a jackal, son of Jabir. We got here first."

Lo'gan grinned cannibalistically at the younger man and flexed his grip on the blade in his hand. A short distance behind them, the men that were left standing approached the two in a cloud of dust. More interested in whether or not the two sons of Sheiks would fight instead of paying too much mind to each other, they eagerly watched for any sudden movements as they approached.

"Not where it mattered, boy. We have rights and you claim nothing."

"You only did so with trickery."

Lo'gan threw the palm to the ground and crossed his arms in annoyance. Dawasir had five sons and the one that aggravated him the most was the youngest. Unlike his brothers, he was less suited for fighting and more for haggling prices at a market than anything else. Had it been one of the other four, he would have fought him to a surrender by now, but with the squirrelly one, he had to listen to his inane ramblings and then check if anything was missing. He was a shifty, lying thief, three things Lo'gan hated.

"Accept your loss with honor and move on."

Harabi frowned and wiped the sweat off his forehead.

"But it was a surprise charge. You cheated."

Grumbling at the insinuance that he was dishonorable, Lo'gan took a step forward and Harabi took a step back just as the horsemen finally reached them. They all dismounted quickly and moved to stand by their representatives, tired but ready. Khalaf wisely stepped forward to prevent conflict and knowingly placed a hand on Lo'gan's shoulder to still him.

"My son is honorable, he did not cheat anyone."

"So you say, old foe!"

Everyone turned to look at Salih Dawasir as he approached the stand-off. Khalaf was about to respond, but Lo'gan beat him to it. Taking a step forward, he looked at the assembled Dawasir clan menacingly.

"You disrespect my father!"

The eldest and biggest of Salih's sons was now the one that stepped forward to meet Lo'gan's challenge. Both their Khanjars were sheathed, but their hands rested on them lightly.

"It is true and a spit on your stolen claim!"

That said, the enormous man went to withdraw his blade, but changed his mind when in a sudden blur of movement, Lo'gan withdrew his first and pointed it to his neck. All the horsemen withdrew theirs in response to the lightning quick reflex, but it was Khalaf who spoke first.

"Enough!! This will accomplish nothing."

Lo'gan's jaw twitched as he heard his father's voice, but remaining still, kept the blade at the Dawasir's throat. The only movement was from Salih himself, who moved to face Khalaf.

"Call that coward away, old man, my son is right!"

Surprising everyone, Khalaf stepped forward and met his opponent head on. Lo'gan's head tilted slightly to watch everything carefully. He had never said so, but Lo'gan had suspicions that Salih was the reason his father limped. They were old enemies and his father always had an added edge around the other man. The tense stand-off continued as the two Sheiks considered each other carefully.

"It does not make a difference. We both need water and if you cooperate, you may have it once we are done. There is enough for all."

Momentarily stunned at his enemy's words, Salih stared at Khalaf blankly before bursting into laughter.

"You expect me to believe that you will allow us access to the well freely? Have you spent too much time in the noon sun, old man?"

"My word is good and I mean to do just that if you call your men off."

Khalaf motioned towards the man Lo'gan had a knife to and Salih's smile faded. He weighted his choices for a full silent minute, until he finally relented, spurred on more by the emptyness in his own water skin than concern for his clan.

"Fine! You can have first drink, but rest assure, if you cross my path again…"

"Nothing. There is no condition and you must leave until we are done."

Khalaf looked at his old adversary calmly and the Sheik had no choice but to turn away. With a signal, the Dawasir stepped back wearily and Lo'gan removed his hand slowly. The man who he gave a thin bloodline across the throat waited until he was out of Lo'gan's reach to spit on the ground defiantly. Lo'gan turned to look at his father and seeing a quiet command in his eyes, resheathed his blade and decided he would make the Dawasir pay another day. The rest of the Jabir horsemen followed suit and about to order an escort for the withdrawing Dawasir, Lo'gan stopped short when he spotted an unfamiliar object in the distance. The men followed his hand as he pointed in the direction of the well he had gained first rights to.

"There's something there."

Khalaf looked at his son questioningly, but before he could hold him back, Lo'gan was already running to see what it was. The rest followed suit and mounted and about to leave begrudgingly, Salih and his remaining horsemen waited to see what the commotion was about. Sensing opportunity, Harabi was the first to climb off his horse and head back. Curiosity getting the better of him, Salih relented and eventually followed his youngest and most troublesome son to see what was going on.

When they came to the clearing, Lo'gan gave him a threatening glare, but confident Khalaf would keep him in check, Salih puffed out his chest and ventured a question.

"What is it? What did you find?"

Khalaf stepped to the side slowly and let the Sheik see. It was a signpost with a brass engraving. Above the writing was the symbol they all recognized, whether they could read or not. It was a tiger paw, the imperial seal.

"It is a royal declaration."

Salih ran his eyes over the polished brass once more and wrinkled his nose in loathing.

"I can see that! But what does it mean?"

Lo'gan wiped his brow and answered for his father.

"Exactly what it says."

It was Harabi's turn to speak out. It didn't escape anyone how odd it was to be discussing the situation so calmly and in the presence of water without any efforts being made to reach for it.

"But that can't be right. The law has always secured what our profits are and they cannot be altered so……easily."

"Perhaps so, but changed them is what he's done and unless we can plead our case to the Sultan, there is little else we can do once the trade season begins."

Sensing a plan, Salih approached Khalaf in thought. Everyone tensed at the reaction, but kept their weapons in place, knowing that the royal decree would affect them all and enemies or not, they had to get along for a short while until the matter was solved.

"Are you suggesting that we see him in person? That is ridiculous! We cannot afford to lose our next rendezvous with the northerners and he will not listen. I suggest we ignore this nonsense and go about our business."

Khalaf looked at his opponent tiredly and shook his head.

"Do that and you will find yourself without buyers. What good is it if you make trade with the northerners if you cannot sell your merchandise in the southern cities? The Sultan is being unreasonable, yes, but if we do not challenge these unfair taxes now, be prepared to be sent away when you wish to enter the city. His greed runs deep and he is already threatening our lifewater itself."

"And if he refuses and expects us to pay his ridiculous tariffs, then what good it will do us to trade if he will keep it all? Ignore this decree, Khalaf, and prepare your swords if he refuses entrance to the city. It will serve him no purpose to keep away the merchants he needs."

"That is not so, Salih. We both know he has negotiated trade with the Egyptian across the sea. We are no longer as essential and because of it, he is trying to squeeze every last coin from us. We must plead our case, for it is our livelihood. Our families depend on it."

Salih bowed his head in thought and considered the inscription by the well carefully. He knew what Khalaf said was true and like it or not, his best chances of not having to pay the higher tariffs rested with his adversary.

"Very well. But who will you send to speak on your behalf? Not that savage, I hope."

Lo'gan grumbled from where he stood, but kept in place. Khalaf ignored the comment and continued.

"He can do the job well and because your clan is named in this decree also, you should pick someone to join him."

Sensing what his father had in mind, Lo'gan looked up, hoping against hope that it wouldn't come to pass, but Salih's smile assured him it would.

"I choose Harabi, of course. He will certainly gain the Sultan's compassion with his skillful debate"

Lo'gan and several of his men snorted and chuckled, much to the young Dawsir's dismay, but he grinned from ear to ear at his father's approval nevertheless.

"Then it is settled. You are welcomed to take water now. We can discuss the details at a majlis council tonight."

Offering only a short nod of agreement, Salih turned and left, leaving his men to take from the well enough for everyone. Giving quick orders for his men to water the horses and keep an eye on the Dawasir, Lo'gan caught up to Khalaf, who was already planning by the wayside.

"Lo'gan, good, we need to speak at length. You need to prepare for this meet, we have to fetch the tribe and we only have hours."

Before his father could continue, Lo'gan paused him with a hand.

"I am please that you chose me, father, but I cannot go."

The Sheik looked at Lo'gan with confidence.

"You must. I trust you to defend our interests."

"But I am not a negotiator, or even a merchant, I am a fighter and you will be defenseless if the Dawasir decide to attack."

"I assure you he will not. It is in his best interest for you to succeed and besides, you always represent us well. You will do adequately."

Frustrated that he was not being dissuaded, Lo'gan flexed his hands and picked a date growing off a nearby tree. He wanted to argue and decline but he never really could when his father needed him to do something. Faintly wondering why the Sultan would be so selfish as to ask for such an increase in trade tariff to begin with, Lo'gan turned the date he had in his fingers and watched the Dawasir walk back to their horses, happy to have had a cool drink of water and with their skins filled. Spotting his biggest objection in the crowd, he raised an eyebrow.

"But why did it have to be Harabi?"

Khalaf chuckled and patted Lo'gan's shoulder with understanding.

"He is not that bad. You can survive it, I assure you."

Lo'gan threw the date he had been fingering and looked at the slight movement of breeze that moved through the taller palm trees.

"I'll do it. But remember, there is a storm coming. Make sure you far north when it arrives."

Khalaf grinned triumphantly.

"Of course, my son, of course. Let's us go and plan."

Lo'gan sighed heavily and went along, listening carefully to all his father had to say. Four hours later, with both clans camped on either side of the oasis, they met with the Dawasir to share their thoughts with the elders in council. Three hours after that, Lo'gan and Harabi left on their horses with a camel each and enough food and water to cross three weeks worth of desert. They were headed to Ma'in, in hopes that they could see the Sultan and disway him from raising the tariffs on trade, with no discernable idea of the adventures and challenges that lay ahead.