Rub al-Khali, Southern desert of the Arabian peninsula
Moving southwest towards the Gazir Oasis


Lo'gan stopped suddenly and looked to either side of him, where his brothers were riding in an equally spaced arc stretching a half mile in its reach. The five men stopped in response and hand on Khanjar blades, waited for Lo'gan's signal. The leader of the warrior horsemen, held his index finger to the sky and twirled it into a circle, before pulling Nayif's reins again. The stallion kicked proudly before beginning his half gallop forward. The surrounding men followed suit and slowly drawing together again, all six were riding side by side only moments later. Lo'gan spoke up loudly, so all could hear.

"We will reach the pass shortly and we'll be vulnerable out in the open. The Dawasir may already be waiting there. Sattam and Mi'tib, pull back far on each side and watch us carefully. The rest pull away in a tight arc. If we encounter resistance, we rush forward quickly to keep them busy and Sattam and Mi'tib go back to warn the others. Questions?"

The men were silent as they weighed the plan in their minds. Lo'gan never expected questions or even a differing opinion, but he always asked to make sure.

"Go with strength and honor, my brothers."

All five men repeated in unison. "Strength and honor, brothers."

The formation broke as two horsemen pulled back to fall behind and the remaining four warriors spread out a little more and continued their forward sweep. Content that they were only one day away from Gazir, Logan thought over the distance they had to cover. Taking one last look up into the sky, he let the worry that he had felt since that night of the celebration fill him once more. The contrast between daytime and nighttime temperatures has been steadily increasing which meant, sand-laden shamal winds from the northern deserts were coming.

Returning his gaze to the wide flat plain they were going to enter soon, Lo'gan focused again on his objective. Khalaf was trusting him to move the Jabir safely and he was going to do that. Even if the shamal winds were gathering, and the Dawasirs were in the vicinity, he would meet the objective. Truth was, he did not want a fight. They had lost a good man last time and with only twelve horsemen to guard eighty tribespeople, they had to choose their battles wisely.

Lo'gan turned when he felt eyes on him. Rakan looked away quickly when Lo'gan's scowling eyes fell on his. Lo'gan suppressed a chuckle and urged Nayif a little faster. The most recent addition to his crew, Rakan, was still getting past his hero worship. Lo'gan didn't really like the regard too much, but he didn't discourage it because it gave the men an added edge to fight for someone they feared and respected. Even though it was annoying that the kid barely left Lo'gan's side, Joza had made him promise to keep the boy safe.

Lo'gan took another look at Rakan by him and sighed. He was still a boy and had Dif'ran not been killed in the last confrontation, Rakan would be safe and sound in the caravan helping the women herd the goats along instead of riding alongside men twice his age and with ten times the scars. Even though he himself had been a fighter at a much younger age, Lo'gan knew Rakan wasn't and the boy deserved a long life if anything.

Unfortunately, tradition demanded twelve horsemen at all times and Lo'gan knew better than to question clan folklore. After the induction celebration four days ago, he had seen the boy practicing his Khanjar fighting during pauses in their move. He was a stickler for the rules and although he lacked real experience, Lo'gan could tell the boy was eager to please. Maybe Rakan would live to see twenty, but Lo'gan wasn't going to take chances now that he had promised his mother. Aside from getting them to Gazir, his second objective was to keep the boy alive.

Lo'gan cleared his mind as the dunes they were traveling on started to flatten. He needed to focus on the task on hand and weight his options carefully. The sun was low in the sky and they needed another half day to reach the oasis. With the Asir Mountains not that far off in the west, the wind swept the sand in a single sheet at the mountain steps. The flat sands made travel easy on everyone, but left them without cover and vulnerable to attack.

Once past it, they could camp for the night among the dunes again. He was sure that the camels in the caravan could smell the oasis water from where they were, but it had been a long day. Lo'gan knew the clan needed to rest badly and even Nayif was tiring. Gazir would have to wait one more half day. Arabian horses were breed for speed and maneuverability, not long periods of 100+ degree weather. They could move double time tomorrow once they passed the plains. They just couldn't take the chance to run across the Dawasir while tired and thirsty.

Taking one last look behind him to see the entire clan spilling over the dunes in the distant horizon behind him, Lo'gan pulled on Nayif's reins and turned the horse around. The two men beside him continued advancing through the sand while Lo'gan reached into his thobe shirt and withdrew a glass fixed in a round gold circle.

Aiming at the row of camels at the head of the caravan, Lo'gan moved the glass to reflect three flashes of brilliant sunlight. Getting three flashes in response a few moments later, Lo'gan slid the glass back into his thobe and watched with satisfaction as the entire clan started moving quicker. Patting Nayif's thick neck in encouragement, he turned to catch up with the other horsemen and quickly moved to the head. Hoping they could traverse the flat pass before the sun set, Lo'gan led the tired Jabir people closer to the Gazir oasis.

Four hours later, the sand flats began to change under them and just as the rim of the brilliant orange sun touched the horizon before them, the Jabir entered the safety of dunes once more. Scanning the area with sharp eyes, Lo'gan spotted a good place to stop for the night. Giving his men silent commands with only a look and a nod, Lo'gan turned his tired horse once more. Seeing Khalaf's dalul camel at the head of the caravan, he trotted back to him. When he reached the old Sheik, Lo'gan bowed slightly before detailing his plan.

"Sir, the sands to the right are excellent cover for the night."

"Superb, my son. How much longer will it be?"

Lo'gan made a mental calculation as Nayif trotted cautiously by the Sheik's taller camel. It was no secret how the horse felt towards the moody animals. The fact that Nayif was as anti-social as his owner never failed to make the tribespeople chuckle.

"After a good rest, we will arrive before midday tomorrow."

Khalaf raised his eyebrows and not ceasing the patting of his camel with his strap, smiled happily.

"Good. We cannot keep this pace for long."

Lo'gan nodded thoughtfully and faintly wondered how his mother was holding up. He generally tried not to think too much about the clan when they were moving, but the fact that he cared anyway annoyed him a little. Having said all he was going to, Lo'gan looked at Khalaf again.

"I'll start right away."

The Sheik nodded and Lo'gan pulled back. Settling down ironically took longer than picking up and moving and there was a lot of work to be done before the sun disappeared completely. First came the pens. Grabbing the lead of the camel that carried the posts, Lo'gan pulled ahead to the designated spot he had just pointed out and started constructing the rough outline of an oval pen. With the help of his men, the wooden posts and interconnecting rope fence were up by the time the caravan reached them. Making sure all of the goats and sheep were secure, he moved to help his mother who was unpacking her camel.

"I'll get that."

Joza smiled at his concern as she unloaded her packs.

"I'm not as old as I look."

Lo'gan paused in his unfurling of the canvas and looked up.

"You aren't old at all."

Joza laughed as she settled the pack into the ground and kneeled down to untie the ropes that held them together.

"You are too sweet, Lo'gan, and I am old."

Lo'gan frowned and moved to upright the five poles that held the interior of the tent up. Joza watched him move with a sparkle in her eye.

"Which is why I need grandchildren."

Lo'gan stopped in mid-action and actually paled a little.

"You sound like father."

"Well, thirty three cycles of marriage will do that."

Lo'gan ignored her laughter and pulled the tent fully erect. Swooping down to move her bundles inside, he stopped when she grabbed his hand.

"It's okay, my dear, I understand better than you know, now go help the others, I'm still capable of taking care of a few things."

Lo'gan nodded dutifully and walked away with a last look back. She always complained, but at least he got the tent up. Now a few dozen more to go. By the time the sun set, Lo'gan had helped most of the women with their tents and secured everyone's camel. Finding the one that held his tent last, he walked it to the furthest space on the outside of camp and finally put up his own tent. Once settled, he walked it back to the pens and tied it to the others. They were usually very loyal animals, but being so close to water and vegetation, camels tended to run away if left loose.

Remembering Nayif, Lo'gan checked what remaining water he had in his goat skin and moved to water his horse. Taking a conservative drink for himself first, he poured the remaining two gallons from the goat skin into Nayif's large clay bowl and unbuckled the riding saddle while the horse lapped it up eagerly. When he finished, Nayif twitched his ears while Lo'gan gathered what little hops he had left from his pack and placed them in the bowl. Lost in the quiet duty of carefully combing the dust from Nayif's hide while the horse ate, Lo'gan failed to hear the twinkle of bracelets until it was too late.

"Greetings."

Lo'gan turned with a slight grimace. He had been careful to avoid the girl for days, but it was just a matter of time before she cornered him. Annoyed that he was playing games he hated, Lo'gan went back to the careful brushing of Nayif's hide. Knowing she wasn't going to get an answer back, Salma brought up the bowl she had in her hands.

"Mother Joza noticed you haven't eaten, so I brought you some food."

At the smell of lamb's meet and bread, Lo'gan turned. Salma smiled at him hopefully from behind her veil and he debated whether or not to take the meal. He had only had dates that day and was feeling hungry now that he had drunk water. To encourage him, Salma stammered on.

"Joza made it, it was wonderful."

Deciding he could deal with a little conversation in exchange for mutton, Lo'gan irately took the copper bowl and moved to sit on his unopened pack. He muttered a `thanks' under his breath and having all the encouragement she needed, Salma settled on the sand by him and began offering all the clan gossip Lo'gan couldn't care any less about.

By the time he was finished and she handed him a cloth in exchange for the empty bowl, she had detailed everyone's personal life and Lo'gan had yet to say one word. Suddenly feeling uncharacteristically awkward, he racked his brain as how to make her stop, when she caught his complete attention by placing a hand on his knee. Snapping his gaze to her face, which she had at some point unveiled, Lo'gan wondered what exactly stopped him from marrying her. She blinked at him expectantly and deciding to find out if it was worth it once and for all, Lo'gan reached over and kissed her. Salma took only a second to kiss him back and after a few moments, Lo'gan pulled away. Salma's eyes widened.

"What's wrong?"

Lo'gan smirked and grabbed her hands, which were on the southside of his sash already.

"Nothing. Thanks for the food."

Standing up with no further explanation, Lo'gan pet Nayif one last time before making his way to his tent. Salma stayed on the ground a little longer, still trying make sense of what happened before standing up and furiously stomping to her own tent.

Opening the flap to see the sky before falling on his own bed, Lo'gan wondered what his father would say to him tomorrow. Oh well. Knowing he was in for one hell of a day and too tired to wonder whom Salma had slept with, Logan closed his eyes and fell quickly into a deep sleep.

His sleep, however, was full of twisting dreams and he was up before the sun, sweating and panting. Slightly queasy, Lo'gan kicked off his coverings and went outside to clear his head. Still trying to calm his racing heartbeat, he plunkered down in the east-facing dunes and covered his eyes with the palms of his hands. Instantly feeling better in the chilly night air, Logan let his hands fall and looked up, just in time to catch a flicker of light far in the distance.

Not sure he was fully awake, Lo'gan stood to his feet and peered over to where the sun would rise in only a few hours and sure enough, the torchlight flickered once more. Clenching his jaw, he shook the last traces of his sleep away. What he had wanted to avoid had come to pass but he was ready to meet it head on. All things considered, it was better this way, since the clan would not be involved.

Ten minutes later, Jabir's twelve warriors were suiting up their horses. Having outlined the approach plan, Lo'gan looked at Khalaf, who was suiting up his horse as well.

"You should stay."

The Sheik looked solemnly at Lo'gan and secured the straps of his saddle on his black and ivory horse.

"I must be there. Perhaps there will be some way to talk sense into Salih."

Lo'gan sheathed his Khanjar blade and hooked his last water skin onto Nayif. They had to leave soon, if they were to catch up to the Dawasir party.

"The clan will be defenseless."

"The younger boys will be on guard. I must see him."

Lo'gan glanced at the men watching them. It was not good for them to see indecision before a fight.

"As you say, father."

Lo'gan mounted Nayif and signaled the men to regroup. Before doing the same, Khalaf glanced over at Joza where she was waiting in the shadows. Giving her a tight smile, Lo'gan pulled away to give them privacy. For all the years Lo'gan remembered, they always said good-bye with a quiet kiss and murmured words. Like he told his father often, he didn't need a woman, but occasionally when he saw the love his parents shared, Lo'gan wondered if someone could ever love him that way too. As he pulled away from the firelight into the dark of the night, Lo'gan caught a glimpse of Salma watching intently from a distance with the other women. When their eyes met, she turned away and snorting at the memory of the kiss they shared, Logan decided that, no, no one would ever look at him that way.

Hearing his father's horse close behind, his thoughts immediately snapped back to the mission. Receiving a sharp nod from Khalaf, Logan gave the signal his eleven fellow warriors waited for and together they trotted out into the night in a full gallop in the direction of Gazir and what was sure to be a furious battle for right to lifewater.