Ma'in, the Imperial city-state along the coast of the Arabian Sea

Lo'gan watched with impatience as Harabi crossed the room to him, his whole body humming with the knowledge that she was near. The Sultan would be making his presence known soon and the guards were repositioning themselves, so that it was the perfect distraction for he and Harabi to catch him before he came out. Unfortunately, Lo'gan's objective had changed.

He was quietly assessing the best way to sneak past the guards when fate dropped a bracelet by his feet. At first he didn't know what to make of it, but turning he found what he had been aching for ever since he could smell the salt of the sea in the desert winds. It was his destiny, his dream, his woman.

She was swathed like a concubine and hanging in a cage like a featured gift, as beautiful and haunting as he imagined her. At first, he thought it was a dream, or surely a hallucination of some sort, but their was something different this time. He bore right into her eyes, desperately trying to read her like he did every night before she vanished. Lost in the watery green depths, he saw she was in pain. In his dream she was never in pain, sad sometimes, happy and shy mostly, but never in pain.

When tears rolled down her pale cheeks and she cast her eyes down in embarrassment to try and cover herself, his chest constricted in realization. She was a prisoner and just as he was about to ask why, she mouthed something to him. He didn't understand it, but his heart twisted in anger. She was pleading for help. His gaze moved down to her hands, which were chained and holding her bars tightly. She was property; a slave and that could not do. She belonged in his arms and not in chains.

Suppressing his boiling anger as best he could, Lo'gan swung into action. Taking advantage of the fanfare everyone was making over the Sultan's entrance, Lo'gan slipped through the security gap into one of the open corridors leading from the great room. Harabi saw him sneak off without him and hurried his pace as he crossed the room so that they were side by side in a matter of seconds. It was a good chance to catch the Sultan waiting in the wings, but something told Harabi that Lo'gan was no longer thinking straight. The Jabir pulled him behind a column just as he reached him.

"The plan's changed. Hurry and go around the back to catch him, I'll watch carefully for trouble and meet you with the horses when…"

"'W-wait, you're not coming? What's so important that you'd leave……"

Harabi put a hand up when he realized what Lo'gan was saying, but his words were cut short.

"Intruders! Stop them!!"

Turning to look back in the direction of the great room they had just left, Lo'gan grumbled when he saw over two dozen blue robed guards running out to meet them. The most decorated one unsheathed his sword and pointed right at them. Lo'gan yanked Harabi back and not needing much encouragement, Harabi scampered to follow him in a mad dash down the carpeted palace corridors.

"Where did they come from?"



Lo'gan growled as he took out his Khanjar, occasionally looking behind him.

"It doesn't matter, now! They must have been waiting for us to make a move!"

Cursing his carelessness, Lo'gan racked his brains for a way out as the men yelled behind them. He knew the way to the girl was a few levels up, but they were being chased in an opposite direction and he could not fight them all off and get to her at the same time. Hearing the men behind him get closer, Lo'gan grabbed at Harabi.

"We have to go out into the hall again."

Harabi looked over with an incredulous look.

"Go back?"

"Yes! It's the only way!"

Looking back to the men chasing them, Harabi took out his Khanjar as well and tried to pump his legs faster to keep up with Lo'gan.

"We have to find a corridor heading left!"

Lo'gan nodded and pointed to an upcoming intersection. Pushing a servant that stepped out of a room out of the way, he jumped over the food trays, almost tripping in the process.

"Up ahead!"

Harabi nodded and they both turned the corner. Running just a little more, they skidded to a stop when they came across a procession line of the Sultan's advisors still entering the great hall from the curtained stage. They all recoiled at the sight of Lo'gan and Harabi, thinking an assassination was underway and moved away quickly. The guards chasing them cursed and threatened down the corridor, but Lo'gan had already seen a way out. Spotting the entrance he was looking for, he called to Harabi and burst through the curtained stage with his L shaped blade ready in his hands.

"Over here!!"

Harabi followed and was right behind Lo'gan when he realized where they were headed. Sweating and panting, he ground his run to a halt and gulped as he looked around. All three hundred guests gaped at their appearance and even the Sultan himself, who had been speaking to his constituents about renewed prosperity, paused and swung around to see them. The guards at his side and the queen herself stood to their feet at the spectacle of the two Bedouin warriors. For the first time in his life, Harabi was at a loss for words. But ironically enough, Lo'gan had plenty. Glancing up to see Mari swinging in her cage, across the grand room, he stepped forward and addressed the crowd without taking his eyes off of her. Behind the curtain, he heard the guards that were chasing them skid to a stop also, but Lo'gan was sure they would not be touched in front of the guests. His steady voice rung clearly out over the sudden silence.

"My name is Lo'gan al Jabir and I seek council with Sultan Nasir on behalf of the desert clans."

A murmur swept over the crowd at the mention of the clans. Everyone understood their importance to the economy but they were seldom regarded with anything more than fear for their mysterious ways. The Sultan gripped his throne tighter and threw a deadly glare at the captain of his guard, who had snuck out onto the floor, the same way Lo'gan and Harabi had. Knowing his job was now the one of watcher, Harabi, watched the man's movements carefully by his place at Lo'gan's side. Mari stared incredulously at the unfolding drama, as she desperately tried to understand what was going on. Her initial fear of the dark Bedouin tripled at seeing him burst into the hall with his blade clenched tightly to his side, but like everyone else in the room, he held her captive with his unwavering voice and piercing eyes. And like before, he gazed right through her. She wanted to look away, but couldn't. Eventually, it was Lo'gan that looked away as the Sultan stepped forward somewhat apprehensively, knowing it mattered very much how he looked in front of his most influential citizens under such an unusual circumstance.

"I am Sultan Nasir and whatever your business is will be better dealt with in private."

Lo'gan snorted and took a step forward. Everyone tensed at the daring move, making the tension in the air more than palpable.

"What are you afraid of, sire? I came to speak to you as a man."

Lo'gan watched in satisfaction as the lavishly draped man tightened his fists when a murmur of laughter erupted from the crowd. He was threatening for sure, but the people were enjoying the show of him, a desert dweller, speaking up to the Sultan with as much courtesy as a commoner. Lo'gan could definitely use that to his advantage. Harabi chuckled with the masses, but it wasn't lost on him how the blue turbaned guards were slowly appearing at the separate exits around the great room, essentially blocking all the possible ways out. Lo'gan raised an eyebrow, when it became clear the Sultan was still debating what to say.

"Well? Will you speak as a man?"

To everyone's surprise, it was Queen Zainab that stepped forward, her expression livid and her voice dripping with caustic anger.

"Of course he will, you disrespectful animal!"

Seeing the hated woman emerge for the first time, Mari snorted and moved even closer to the bars, trying hard to decipher what was being said. To the Sultan's growing annoyance, the entire audience smirked at his mother's outrage. Lo'gan knew right there and then that Nasir was nothing but a puppet to his mother, to be played and spoken for since he was too stupid to do it himself.

"Shall I address the lady then in your place, sire?"

This time the congregation burst into open laughter and even Lo'gan cracked a crooked smile. Mari stared at him in amazement that he could hold everyone so rapt in his every word.

"I am the Sultan, so you speak to me!!"

Lo'gan continued smirking at the Sultan's attempt to regain control and switched his Khanjar over to his left hand in a frighteningly fast move, bringing the audience to an even higher level of anticipation.

"Very well then, your highness. As you hopefully know there are over five hundred clans that traverse the northern deserts. Each is of a family that has lived and died in the desert for generations."

The Sultan looked nervously over his subjects and stammered an agreement. The queen mother sat back down in her throne by his, digging her fingernails deep into the cushion of her seat. No one noticed except for Mari, who smiled in satisfaction from her cage across the room.

"We all know that."

Lo'gan grinned and continued, knowing everyone in the room was hanging onto every word he said, and for once not really caring that he was the center of attention.

"Then you also know that we are the true lifeblood of Arabia, crossing the trade routes to the great north and bringing everything of sustenance to the city states."

Harabi huffed from where he watched the guards behind him and Lo'gan. He was not sure how, but Lo'gan had somehow managed to make the Sultan look like a blathering idiot. He could actually see the guests mulling over his last statement. It had probably never crossed their minds before.

"We all know that trade is important. What is your point? Are you trying to weasel your way out of paying tariffs?"

All heads turned to look at Lo'gan for the response.

"No sire, we have always paid tariffs and will continue to do so, but only if they are fair."

All the heads turned again and watched as the Sultan started turning red in growing anger.

"Are you threatening me, desert dweller?"

"No. It is you that have threatened us," Lo'gan turned to the crowd and continued. "by placing markers at our oasis that threaten to destroy our lifewater wells if we do not comply with a 30% increase and a penalty of death if it is refused."

With more than a challenging glare, Lo'gan turned to face Nasir again, trying hard not to look high in the opposite corner for fear of losing himself in green eyes that would make him forget everything he had to say. When the crowd simmered down from their hushed whispering and gasps of shock, he continued.

"Do you deny this, sire?"

The Sultan looked over at his line of advisors angrily and then at his mother, who offered no help as she herself stared down his challenger with murder in her eyes.

"You cannot begin to understand. My advisors……"

"Run your kingdom?"

Not able to keep silent anymore, the old queen rose to her feet in her son's defense. Mari recoiled back in her cage, absently touching the bruise on her cheek that she had gotten from her.

"My son is the Sultan and no one but he runs his kingdom!"

Lo'gan actually smiled at her, not considering her a threat whatsoever.

"That is not what it seems like to me, madam."

That got a chuckle from the audience and the old queen slammed her cane down to silence them. The room stared at her in equal parts fear of her legendary temper and amusement at seeing that indeed, the desert dweller was right and actually brave enough to say what everyone else thought. But she was not silenced easily and continued her orders.

"If you have come here to try and repeal that decree, you are mistaken! The law is the law and you cannot disturb the celebration in this house with your brute ways. You are a trespasser and will pay with your life for this crime!"

Lo'gan watched as a murmur of protest washed over the crowd. The queen snapped her cold gaze at the assemblage as they questioned her ruling. Harabi and Mari looked at Lo'gan with worry, but the guests did not stay silent. A few voices could be heard from the crowd saying that the two men should be let go. Lo'gan looked over at her with a dangerous gleam in his eye.

"Your subjects think you unfair, sire."

The audience got even louder at Lo'gan's nerve to call the queen `sire' and the chanting of `let them go' grew stronger. In a near state of rage, the Sultan spoke out again to the crowd, eager to crush the dissention that had turned his birthday celebration into a question of his power.

"Enough!!!"

Everyone turned to look at the Sultan's outburst. He was known for his generous, laid back approach to everything, but the anger that flashed in his eyes now, belied everything they knew of him. Mari had seen Aerius change in a similar way. One minute he was fine, the next minute he was dangerous and raving, unable to control his anger and willing to hurt anything in his way. She looked at Lo'gan, fearing for the dark stranger, but he stood even taller, with his blade still ready. She wished for the hundredth time that she understood fully what was being said, but she had an idea it was about the pay that Bassam had to give at the city gates. She recognized the word tariff, just as she recognized the word desert. Nasir looked over his people, trying to determine the quickest way to defuse the situation.

"They will not be punished and I will even let them go unharmed, if……"

Lo'gan snorted and wondered what was next. He knew whatever the Sultan would promise would be a lie. He had seen enough of him to know that with certainty. The Sultan would send guards after them right away and never repeal his tariff. His mission would have to be met another way, but for now all Lo'gan cared about was getting Harabi and his girl out of there alive.

"If what, sire?"

The Sultan thought over his possibilities. The crowd stopped chanting and looked at him expectantly. In just a few minutes, he thought dismally, the stranger had his most loyal subjects questioning his rule. He would have to make him pay and pay for all to see. He spotted his captain of the guard being eyed carefully by the desert dweller's companion and an idea occurred to him. One that would prove his authority without a doubt and still make him look charitable before everyone.

"If you can defeat my captain of the guard in hand to hand combat, if you can do that, then you and your companion can leave unharmed to tell your clans that I will cut the tariff down to 10% again."

Everyone's jaw dropped. Harabi watched in dread as Lo'gan quickly agreed.

"I concur and have only one more request."

Everyone collectively held their breath to hear what the request was. Harabi just stared at the captain, who was taller than even he was and built like a wall. The man had the audacity to smile gleefully at the prospects of fighting, making his large and thick mustache twitch. Harabi knew that Lo'gan was a talented fighter, but too much rested on just one fight.

"Name it, desert dweller. I am in a most generous mood."

Lo'gan smiled slowly and took his time to respond.

"If I win, I request that I take………her."

Mari gasped as every last pair of eyes suddenly whipped around to stare at her with a combination of shock and excitement. She had no idea what the dark man had just said but when he pointed to her, her heartbeat thumped madly and she felt faint. She had thought he had forgotten about her, but he obviously hadn't. Not knowing what to make of anything, Mari shrank back in her tiny, confined space. She crossed her arms around herself timidly again timidly and could only stare back at Lo'gan's dark eyes. They seemed to pierce right through her and she did not know what to do with herself. That brought a tiny smile to Lo'gan's face. Something stirred in his chest for her and lost in desire, Lo'gan almost did not hear the Sultan's answer. It was clenched, low, and full of hate. It silenced the startled crowd instantly and they all turned to face him again.

"You make take her, but only if you win."

Lo'gan tore his gaze from the green clad figure in the distance with considerable effort and looked back at his nemesis.

"Swear to it."

The Sultan ground his teeth together, but looking at the congregation of expecting faces, complied. He made up his mind right there, that Lo'gan would die slowly. He might even watch. The audacity of his challenge would seal his fate regardless of the fight's outcome.

"I swear to it."

The crowd let out a collective gasp and without taking his eyes off of Lo'gan, the Sultan snapped his fingers, prompting a flurry of activity. A line of guards appeared at the stage and headed towards the crowd, cutting a line through them. Mari watched in utter confusion until it became clear that the stage was being set for a fight. The mass of people parted and the blue turbaned guards spread out to form a circle. At the center of the circle stood the guard that gave orders to the others. He made a grand spectacle of taking off his shirt and removing his saber, handing it to another guard to hold. As a whole, the palace guards were impressive physical specimens, but this one was a monster. Mari's eyes widened at the sight of his enormous frame and chewing on her nails nervously, wondered where the desert dwellers went.

Praying that they were not the ones that were going to fight the enormous brute, Mari quickly scanned the room for them. Watching them walk to a corner, Mari felt her heart sink into the pit of her stomach, when the dark one began disrobing as well. They seemed to be arguing, but the crowd was shifting noisily to accommodate the empty ring at the center and prevented her from getting a clear view of events. Eventually, they began walking through the crowd to the center of the ring and the buzz of excitement grew exponentially as the mass parted to let him through.

Not sure what to make of anything, Mari watched in trepidation as the dark Bedouin broke through the crowd in nothing but his wrap pants and the sash that held them up. Barefoot he was even shorter compared to his opponent, but he was certainly not to be underestimated. Mari ran her gaze down his tanned, chiseled body, never having imagined that he could be that powerful under his flowing robes. The guard was saying things to him but he stood silent as he removed his headcloth and handed it to his friend. His black, straight hair spilled over his broad shoulders and flexing his hands open and close, he went to the center of the cleared space, slowly and deliberately.

It occurred to Mari that this was who he really was. A fighter. She had been around them all her youth in Battavia and all great warriors shared that intense look of calculated fury. At first she was worried for him, the guard being so much bigger, but his calm movements were precise and carried a disciplined power all to themselves. He would win. Mari knew this with certainty. As the crowd's cheering grew to a fever pitch and the Sultan rose to say some words, Mari prayed for him. It was the same prayer that she offered her father and uncle whenever they left for war and the same thing she said to herself every night before falling asleep to assure herself the strength to go on.

["Spirits of air, earth and water keep you safe in your struggles, dark Bedoiun, so that you can someday return to the love of your family."]

As if sensing her words, Lo'gan looked up to see Mari, his gaze as intense and penetrating as ever. For the first time since seeing him Mari wasn't quite so afraid. She managed a shy smile and a small wave of acknowledgement. She saw his eyes light up at that and blushing slightly at his regard, leaned her forehead against the bars to watch him carefully. Eventually, he looked away as a drum was sounded and the fight Mari had no idea was for claim to her life, began.