Rub al-Khali, Southern desert of the Arabian peninsula, Moving southwest towards coastal Ma'in, the Imperial city-state

Lo'gan looked up into the dark midnight sky and lost in the impossibility of so many stars, failed to notice how the sand under his feet had begun to change. It was subtle at first, barely rippling here and there, but the shifting grew and lengthened until the entire area was alive in movement. Lo'gan didn't notice, however. He was still lost in his thoughts, alone in his contemplation, his normally alert senses dulled by the engrossing luminance found in the dark skies.

It wasn't until the sands begin to twirl around his feet and to pull at him that he looked down. Scanning his dark eyes over the coiling mass of sand that stretched out endlessly in every direction, he realized the desert was angry. He could see it in the waves and undulations as they stretched and pulled at each other and in the low murmur that the movement created. It looked a lot like the sea that bordered Ma'in in how fluid and capricious it was behaving. Confused by its motives, Lo'gan took a step forward to leave but in a lightening quick move, the sand reached out and pulled his foot back. Lo'gan's eyes widened and he attempted to move again, but the twirling, shifting sands were alive and did not want to let go. They reached for him and before he knew it, he was buried up to his knees in the pale expanse.

Terror setting in, Lo'gan began to struggle. With his thick, callused hands he dug into the mass, desperately trying to free himself, but it was a losing task. Every time he scooped out a handful, more heavy sand rushed in to fill the space once again. Despite the cool night air, sweat broke out in a light sheen all over his body as he struggled to move and to claw his way out. Before long, he was buried up to his waist and as the sand around him increased in its movements, the wind also began to pick up.

In practically no time, it howled and whipped in a full fledged storm. The fine particles stung Lo'gan's eyes mercilessly and scraped his bare skin. Trying urgently to fight the sand that engulfed him with eyes shut tight as his hair whipped around him, Lo'gan felt his arms begin to tire. The desert was swallowing him whole, but it was doing it slowly, exhausting him and making him lose hope in the process. His lower half was being crushed by the weight and already up to his chest, it was getting harder to breath.

Eventually, the mass grabbed at his arms too. Lo'gan's muscles bulged and strained to fight the progress, but there was really very little one man can do against the will of something so powerful. The sand kept advancing on his body and when he felt it moving and twirling around his neck and wanting to enter his mouth, Lo'gan could take it no longer. He screamed into the dark with all his might. A guttural scream that released everything in him, Lo'gan was barely conscious enough to feel everything around him still and fade into black. A very still moment followed. And then something different happened.

In over thirty years of experience, Lo'gan knew the dream to be a test. He would be observing the changes in the night sky when the angry desert would ambush him. It would suck him into its depths slowly, crushing the life out of him in an agonizingly slow torture. Lo'gan would not succumb easily. His warrior instinct would force him to dig, to fight, to try, to struggle, but Lo'gan's fight was useless. Not once in those thirty years did he ever win. He knew from the harsh, sometimes cruel existence in the desert that nature was ruthless and all powerful. One man could never dominate it and the sands would always inundate him no matter what he did.

This was where the real test would lie. At times, Lo'gan would panic the instant it touched his face. Sometimes he would hold out until it covered his nostrils, but one thing was always certain, it would always win. In the last moments, when fear overwhelmed him and he could take it no longer, Lo'gan would scream and then it would be over. He would awaken bathed in sweat and breathing hard in his tent, heart pounding in his chest in utter and complete fear. It would be a waste of time to close his eyes again after that. He would rise and go outside, to sit in the dunes that had just betrayed him in his deepest subconscious.

He would spend the rest of the night thinking and brooding, sometimes petting Nayif or just letting sand slip through his grasp while he watched the moon cross the sky. Sometimes, he would lie down again and try to rest, but never sleep. Even as a child, when Joza would sing to him to still his heart and lull him back into slumber, Lo'gan would refuse. He could not risk himself in that way again. He loved the desert and all its mystery and did not fear it, but the toll the dreams took on his body were great. And even then, he would not resent them. They were a reminder of some sort and Lo'gan could not imagine his life without them. It was as steady and dependable as the rising and falling of the sun, only for the first time ever, the dream had not ended in quite the same way.

After the surrendering in the form of a scream, Lo'gan waited in confusion. Instead of fading into reality, he had stood in the blackness for much longer than ever before. He was sweating and his heart was pounding as he turned and turned where he stood. He could make out nothing in the pitch dark, but his hearing did pick something up. Instinctively feeling at his side for his L shaped Khanjar, Lo'gan held his breath and waited in the darkness. The Lo'gan lying in the conscious world twitched and did the same thing, making his traveling companion raise an eyebrow. Eyes wide to try and see in the dark, Lo'gan heard a shuffle again and decided he would not take chances, and went to withdraw his blade. Only he couldn't. There was a hand holding his in place and before he could take a fighting stance to rid himself of it, he felt warm lips on his.

His body tensed for a fight, but Lo'gan was caught completely off guard with the kiss. He couldn't move, he couldn't breath, he couldn't think. All that there was were the soft lips pressing against his and knowing it was not enough, Lo'gan broke the freeze over his body and stepped forward to grab the woman who dared enter his dreams. The movement did not break the kiss, so he plunged into her with complete abandon.

Holding her to his body with a hand on the small of her back and another at her neck, Lo'gan surrendered again into the strangely euphoric feeling sweeping over him. His body burned for her, his hands ached for her. The sweetness of her mouth, the feel of her pressed against him, it was all too irresistible and too overwhelming. This phantom woman was all he ever needed. He knew this with certainty because never in his life did anyone taste as good. She was a perfect fit against him and his body felt it. His tongue swept hers urgent and soothing at the same time. Reveling in her taste and fighting the need for air, Lo'gan held her tight for fear of waking up and losing all that he had in his grasp. But eventually, he had to. She was swooning in his arms and holding her up, Lo'gan pulled back to find that the darkness had ebbed away. It was still blurry and dim, but he could see her.

Lo'gan opened his eyes wide to the vision before him. She was nothing of what he was expecting. She was as pale as a jasmine flower and just as soft. Her hair was not black, but the color of burnt honey, tinged with flashes of mahogany and red. Her flushed color, red lips and warm panting breath on him excited him and Lo'gan wanted to ravish them again. He leaned forward, fixated on her lips when he saw something that stopped him cold. Something he had never seen before.

Glimmering in the faint light, he caught the deep green of her eyes. Everyone he had ever known had black eyes, dark as kohl. But hers were the color of emeralds. His father had one incrusted in the handle of his Khanjar and Lo'gan mused it was the most precious thing ever, only now he knew it wasn't true. He had found something more precious, more valuable and in her beautiful eyes he saw the depth of her soul. He had been too responsive to have noticed it at first, but what he saw now was awe inspiring. He could see pain and beauty and a strength he knew was as raw and passionate as the kiss they just shared. He saw the truth in her, the real her, and wondering suddenly if she was a tangible thing to be touched and had, Lo'gan reached out and felt along the girl's face. The dark hand contrasted greatly with her pale skin and in an unexpected movement, Lo'gan sucked in his breath when she broke the gaze she had fixed on him to look over at it. Turning her beautiful eyes back to his with a smile, Lo'gan slowly smiled too at the glimmer in the deep green pools. Lo'gan moved his thumb along her cheek. Soft as jasmine and she was his. He knew that with certainty as her smile grew a little wider, her color a little deeper, her breathing a little faster. It was all the acquiescence he needed. Swooping down to meet her lips again before she vaporized back into his dreams, Lo'gan shuddered when he felt his body jolt. In an instant he was back to the realm of the living and snapping his eyes open, saw only the woven colors of his canopy. Bolting upright in near panic, Lo'gan looked around frantically, only to find the familiar dunes, his resting animals and Harabi's smirking face.

"That was one hell of a dream you had there, oh big hairy Jabir."

Logan grumbled at the harsh slap of reality and kicked his linen cover off.

"Shut up."

She was gone and like most dreams, Lo'gan had practically forgotten the entire thing already. Mentally cursing his companion for interrupting what was sure to be an interesting dream, Lo'gan stood up abruptly and stomped off to get water. True to form, he was sweaty and agitated, but for the first time ever, it wasn't because of the desert swallowing him up, it was the feel of a strange girl in his arms that had him so. Harabi bit into his piece of smoked meat and smiled knowingly.

"No really. I was about to wake you up, you seemed……troubled."

Chortling at the thought, Harabi failed to see the water skin that sailed towards his head from behind. It hit him with a thud and he doubled over in laughter.

"Oww."

Lo'gan stomped over to his unrolled mat and grabbing his Khanjar that lay just alongside it, inserted it onto his sash shakily.

"Next time, it'll be my blade."

To Lo'gan's slight disappointment, Harabi did not even bother looking scared and just laughed a little harder.

"Well, maybe if you go back to sleep you can keep going where you stopped."

Lo'gan sighed in frustration at his young companion and stomped away towards the nearby dunes without a word. The moon was almost full again and allowed for a great panoramic view of the area they had to cross the next day. They had been traveling for over two weeks and even though they had scheduled for three, they were making excellent time as the load for food and water they were carrying got lighter and Lo'gan's navigation led them straight towards their destination.

Settling down on a sandy incline, Lo'gan rested his arms over his up drawn knees and considered the sparkling sand. His heartbeat had stilled down to normal and leaning back to rest against the dune, Lo'gan wondered why the dream that he had had for so many years had changed. He had erotic dreams of course, but the two never combined in any way. And yet, this dream hadn't been his typical erotic dream either. Wrinkling his brow to try and remember the details, Lo'gan admitted that no. It had been anything but typical. She was…… different. Her skin, her hair, her eyes. Her eyes.

Bolting upright, Lo'gan scanned his memory for what it had been on the brink of storing away permanently. This girl had green eyes, and not just any green, but an intense, almost translucent color that held so much. He could barely recall the details, and it had been so brief, but he remembered getting lost in them. Feeling like all he had ever wanted was right there, in there. The idea was as comforting as it was disconcerting. Shaking his head to clear it of thoughts he had never ventured into before, Lo'gan did not feel Harabi coming up behind him. He fell in next to him and to Lo'gan's annoyance, grinned at him ruefully.

"Are you still trying to ignore me?"

Lo'gan's lips tightened as he debated whether or not to get rid of his constant headache once and for all.

"I need to be alone."

Harabi raised his eyebrows in mock hurt and took another bite of his late night snack. He didn't look it, but Lo'gan had learned that Harabi could eat twice his weight in food every few hours. He had finished his own stores two days ago, and had been raiding Lo'gan's.

"You're always alone. That's your problem."

Logan wrinkled his nose in aversion, not sure how the Dawasir always managed to wrangle him into an argument.

"I do not have a problem."

"Umm, yes, you do. I realize it's part of the `I am so strong and silent and don't bother wearing a thobe shirt' image, but it really doesn't fit you."

Lo'gan raised an eyebrow high and nodded thoughtfully.

"So you aren't afraid of me?"

Harabi's smile faltered at the feral look in Lo'gan's eyes and coughed uncomfortably.

"Uhh, yes, yes, very much. But I've seen that you're not that tough and you should probably not try so hard to look it."

Lo'gan rolled his eyes in defeat and looked back over the landscape. There was a trail cut in the smooth sand a short distance from them that hadn't been there before. There was a serpent nearby.

"Well, I don't care what you think and I like my time alone. Everyone that knows me, knows I need my time alone. They are not foolish enough to bother me when I am alone and if you don't leave, I will make sure you have no reason to step foot into a whorehouse at Ma'in."

Harabi scrutinized the threat and decided that maybe he was serious this time. But then remembering that Lo'gan had only threatened his life eight times that day so far and he was safe for at least another few more, Harabi snorted and patted Lo'gan's shoulder jovially.

"That's because they don't know you as well as me, old friend. And do not jest in that way. I live for them and maybe you should go with me. It might alleviate……your problem."

Harabi knew from the set of Lo'gan's jaw that he had overstepped his limits. Dropping the rest of his snack and putting up his hands to stop him when he heard the growl that emanated from his throat, Harabi fell back laughing hysterically, even as Lo'gan loomed over him with his unsheathed Khanjar.

"Okay, okay, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry! You don't have a problem, really. I won't tell anyone, friend. Friends, we're friends, I was joking!"

Lo'gan glared coldly at the Dawasir and spit out through his teeth.

"I don't have a problem."

Harabi started backing up and letting only a few giggles escape him, tried to placate the older man.

"Fine, fine, no problems. I'll leave, you can be all alone, completely alone. I'm leaving"

Still moving carefully, Harabi brushed himself off and got up to leave. Looking after him with murder in his eyes, Lo'gan stared silently as he watched his companion walk backwards back to the camp. Content that he was at least silent, Lo'gan dropped back to his contemplation. Alone again his thoughts immediately went back to the green eyed girl in his dreams and a thought occurred to him. He just couldn't bring himself to say it. Unfortunately, the question itched and bothered and sighing deeply, and without looking back, he asked out loud.

"Have you ever seen a girl with green eyes??"

Harabi perked up from where he was wrapped in linens and stared at the dark outline just a short way off. In the entire time that they had traveled together, never once did Lo'gan ask him for help or even ventured a question. He was pretty much in charge of keeping a conversation going and if he hadn't just closed his eyes for a second, he would have thought he was dreaming.

"A what?"

Lo'gan gritted his teeth together and swallowed before asking again. He knew Harabi lived for gambling and women and if anyone would know, he would, but he was feeling foolish to have asked. He could practically see him grinning.

"Have you……umm……ever seen a girl……"

Harabi held back his laughter with considerable effort.

"Yes, plenty, and they don't bite. You shouldn't be afraid, Lo'gan al Jabir. I will introduce you to several."

Lo'gan grumbled from where he was sitting and clamped a hand over his brow. He knew it would be a mistake asking. Harabi could sense Lo'gan's humiliation from where he lay and chuckled.

"No, really, a girl what, tell me."

Lo'gan shook his head as the faint headache that always followed conversations with Harabi started forming at the base of his skull.

"Die slowly, Dawasir, I cannot talk to you."

Harabi looked back at the shape in the fluttering black robes mischievously and pushed a little more. He didn't think it would be possible, but Lo'gan was actually afraid of telling him something. He couldn't very well go on another minute without knowing about what.

"Com'on, we're practically brothers now, you must ask. Go on, I'm listening."

Lo'gan grimaced at the ridiculousness of that statement.

"No brother of mine would have chosen a pregnant camel as his pack animal."

Harabi rolled his eyes.

"How many times must you bring that up? It was an accident. There was a switch and I didn't see."

"Or so you claim. You better pray that you make it make back to your clan before it births."

Harabi's eyes widened. That possibility was not one that he had entertained before.

"You said we'd have plenty of time! You said three months!"

Lo'gan smirked.

"Three, two, maybe less. And besides, Dawasir, we are not brothers and you know it."

Harabi froze for a minute, wondering. He could bear the thought of any kind of birthing……at all.

"Okay, very funny. But com'on, the sooner you tell me, the sooner I shut up and go to sleep."

Lo'gan considered that for a moment in absolute silence. Harabi could not even breathe.

"Have you ever met a girl, with green eyes?"

Harabi's smile dropped in disappointment.

"That's it??? That's what you wanted to know??"

Lo'gan ruffled his hair in desperation and spit out harshly.

"Yes, that's the question! What did you think it was?"

Harabi shrugged in the dark and repeated the question to himself.

"I don't know, something more…interesting."

"Did you or didn't you???"

Harabi raised his eyebrows in mock hurt.

"Okay! Wait! Umm, no I haven't but I heard once that some northerners do."

Interest peaked, Lo'gan finally turned around to look at Harabi.

"Do what?"

"You know, have green eyes, why you ask?"

"Nothing. Go to sleep."

Turning back around with a flicker of hope and a faint smile, Lo'gan flicked a strand of long hair back behind his ear.

"Gods! You have to tell me now……is that, is that what you were dreaming about?"

Silence. Harabi got up to his knees and started laughing again.

"It is isn't?? Ha! Wait till I tell my brothers. Who knew Lo'gan al Jabir would have such unique tastes in……"

Harabi stopped in mid sentence as he felt something cut the air next to him. Turning around quickly to see Lo'gan's Khanjar blade wavering from where it penetrated his headrest, he swallowed tightly before turning back. It was clear Lo'gan didn't feel like chatting any more.

"Ahh, I'm going to sleep now. Pleasant dreams."

Chuckling to himself Lo'gan went back to his relaxing, while Harabi quickly tried to fall asleep. The Dawasir had no respect, but perhaps he did have enough sense to be silent when he had to. Pleased with himself, Lo'gan laced his hands behind his head and leaned back into the cool sand. He wasn't sure where it had come from, but he liked the idea that his green eyed beauty could exist. Even if it was in a dream, she existed and that was enough. Closing his eyes to try and recollect everything about her, Lo'gan smiled faintly. Harabi would definitely not be singing tonight. He would definitely have to start throwing more swords at him.