”No. Nonono… See that? That’s supposed to go there. Then you take this one here and put it there. See? It goes the same way every time. Just try it.”
“Like this, daddy?”
“Uh… Yeah. Exactly. Just like that. Every time. You’re doing great, kiddo.”

I can’t believe it has been seven years already. And every day Logan proves something he told me earlier to be wrong. Every day when he helps Anna with her homework, sitting with her patiently in the kitchen, hunched over pile of books with her.

When we were running from Xavier all those years ago, almost twenty all in all, he told me he wasn’t smart. Not smart enough to be a teacher. Yet he has so much information and experience stored in to that thick skull of his, and he’s able to transfer it to our daughter. She’s absorbing his every word like a human sponge, learning so fast that she’s already far ahead of her classmates.

Seven years ago she appeared in our life. We had already given up and settled down, just the two of us. No children. Then Xavier changed it all. It’s funny how I have him to thank for the biggest joys of my life. Logan and Anna.

She doesn’t know. She doesn’t know how close the end of life was for her. At first I didn’t want to hear a word about what happened, what went down on that last mission, but later… It became too much for Logan to bear alone. I don’t blame him. Not after he told me what happened.

“She fell asleep already?” I snuggle closer to Logan when he wraps his arms around me from behind.
“Yeah. Poor thing… She was dog-tired. How about you? Tired?” Hands sliding slowly over my stomach, his hot breath tickling the side of my throat… Smug bastard…
“I was tired… Not anymore…”
“Good. I had some plans…”
“I’m sure you had.” Kind of hard to miss how hard he is when his cock is poking my lower back.
“Those plans involve you, too. Naked. In our bed. Ten minutes ago.” Oh, God. I guess it’s a good thing he soundproofed our bedroom few years ago.

“Careful Anna! I’ll wring your neck if you fall and hurt yourself!” He’s so cute.
“Fuck. I can’t watch… She better not hurt herself…”
“I’m sure she can manage. It’s just a swing, honey.”
“Fucking death-trap if you ask from me. Tell me when she snaps her neck or gets bored, which ever happens first…”

Overly protective? Sure as hell. I think it all boils down to our mutations. He knows that if I get hurt, he can heal me in no time. I can still put him in a coma, but he claims it’s worth it. That’s not the case with Anna. She’s not a mutant. She has no gifts. No life-sucking skin. Every scratch and bruise she gets takes time to heal. It scares Logan. He would give his life for Anna, but she’s unable to accept what he’s offering.

He found Anna when she was just a tiny baby, probably just few hours old. Xavier had ordered him to clean up a compound where they were poking and prodding mutants in the name of science. Clean up. Even I can understand what that means. No loose ends. Somewhere in the bowels of that maze he had stumbled upon a loose end he couldn’t tie up. Couldn’t ram his claws through a helpless baby. At first he had thought that Anna was already dead. Just as he was leaving she had started to cry. He had just stood there, his back turned, for God knows how long. Calculating the odds. Finally he had just taken her with him, every instinct screaming to get her out of there.

I saw the clothes he had on back there before he burned them. He had been carrying Anna against his side, under his left arm. And how do I know that? Whole right side of his jacket and shirts was a bloodied mess of bullet holes and gaping tears, sleeve of his jacket nearly torn off, but there was not a mark on his left side. Not even the tiniest splatter of blood.