Author's Chapter Notes:
Companion piece to "Assassin".
I think I’m going to be sick. Car is swerving. I’m not used to drive this fast, and Logan urges me to step on it. If I push the pedal any harder, it’ll fall through the floor. I don’t know what’s going on, but Logan’s in an awful hurry to get away from Xavier’s. And he’s bleeding. He never bleeds. Blood is practically pouring from his nose and he keeps twitching and jerking and shouting obscenities, cursing Xavier, himself and me in turn. What the hell is going on?

“I think we can stop now… I can’t feel him anymore…” I have barely enough time to slow down a little when Logan jerks the door open and leans out. I’m really going to be sick soon. I can hear something wet, blood or vomit hitting the pavement.
“Oh, sweet Jesus… I don’t think there’s any permanent damage… Do we have any aspirin?” This is getting too weird. I rummage through my bag I managed to snatch with me before Logan jostled me to the garage. Looks like he’s in luck.
“Here. You’re supposed to take two… Logan! You can’t take a whole bottle at once!” He just… He can’t do that! It’ll make him… I don’t know what it’ll make him…
“I can’t?” And there goes the eyebrow. Damn him. He knows full well what that does to me!
“Honey… How much do you want to know?” He asks. Duh. What do you think, you big lug?
“Tell me everything.” And none of that eyebrow-crap this time.

“Better?” This is gross. It’s my turn to kneel, my ass thrust up in the air. Logan’s holding my hair and rubbing my back. I ate last time little after lunch-hour, so there’s not much of stuff coming out, but I fucking hate dry heaves!

Had I known six months ago what I know now I would have refused when Logan proposed me. Had I known what kind of a man Charles Xavier is I would have moved out from the mansion and left his little haven for good.
“Why did you do it?”
“I’m not smart like Summers, Jeannie and Ororo. Not smart enough to be a teacher. X-Team is doing just fine on their own. It was the only way I could contribute. If I hadn’t made that deal, Xavier would have tossed me to the curb.”
“But… You were doing just fine on your own… You didn’t even like Xavier’s place. Why did you stayed?” He’s not making any sense. Four years I had to listen him griping and nagging how he was going out of his mind, bored as hell and ready to gut every fucking kid and teacher.
“You were there.” Oh…
“I don’t know… At first I just… I guess you could say I was curious. You were the first person that didn’t run and shout bloody murder when you saw what I am. I can’t say I wasn’t seriously tempted to test the waters, but you were so fucking young… I stayed to keep you safe. Remember that one night in the kitchen?”

How could I forget? I had gone to have some ice cream. I thought everyone else was already sleeping. I was wrong. Logan was sitting there, in the darkness. Scared me out of my wits before I realized who it was. He looked so fucking tired and worn out, sitting on a barstool, elbows propped against the counter, his face hidden behind his palms. He was really out of it. At first he didn’t even notice me. I had to call his name twice before he looked at me.
“Marie? It’s three o’clock. Shouldn’t you be in bed?” His voice cracked and I could see his hands trembling. I just walked to him and hugged him. At first it was a little awkward, like he didn’t know what to make of it. Then he just pulled me up on his lap. I don’t know how long we sat there, holding each other. Must have been pretty long because I got pins and needles all over my legs.

“That night I knew. I knew I had to have you. I had just come home. Pretty fucked up mission. Don’t really care to go in to details. But at that moment I decided to ask your hand.”
“From Xavier.”
“Didn’t really have a choice. He was your guardian. I couldn’t have… You were still underage. Xavier could have gotten me arrested if I didn’t make my intentions clear to him.” Uh-huh… Now those short trips to stargazing at odd hours, and truth to be told, quite embarrassing bouquets of flowers appearing to my nightstand every now and then made perfect sense.
“Xavier had already promised you to me. That was of course if you wanted me when the time was right. I tried… I’m not exactly experienced in dating. And I didn’t even have the time to do it properly. Most of the times Xavier kept me in a tight leash. Running around with part of his mind lodged inside my head, doing… Well, doing what needed to be done. And I was stupid enough to think it would all somehow change once we were married. That it would magically turn to nine-to-five job. Well, not really, but that Xavier would at least have the decency to give me some time-off every now and then. That he would be willing to let me live a little.”
“Logan?”
“Hush. You wanted to hear everything.” Yeah. But not like this. Not sitting in a car on the side of the road, scent of blood coming off from him in waves and taste of my own bile at the back of my throat.
“Can… Can we go somewhere and get cleaned up first?”
“Fine. There’s a motel not too far from here. I don’t think the owner remembers me. It was almost a year ago…”

Hot water. Heaven. Naked Logan under hot water with me. Too good for words. People keep telling that after first few months of the marriage relationship tends to cool down a bit. I guess I have to thank Xavier that we're still at honeymoon stage. It doesn’t take much to turn us both on. Most of the times simple task of undressing is enough, and we’re ready to go, like couple of bunnies on Viagra. There hasn’t been too much time and chances for that lately. Logan has been away, and when he’s home he has been either sleeping or talking with Xavier.

“Where was I?” And how the hell should I remember something like that after what we did in the shower?
“I think you were telling me how Xavier screwed you over…”
“And how the hell I’m supposed to continue when you keep doing that? Honey… Oh, Christ… Marie…” He’s so easy to distract. We’re both too easy.
“Okay. Talk. I won’t touch you before you finish your story.”
“Too late for that, darling…”

“Where were we?”
“You were going to tell me something about Xavier…”
“Don’t fall asleep on me now. This is important. You wanted to know.” Don’t fall asleep? I can barely keep my eyes open. Multiple orgasms tend to leave me little tired.
“Basically Xavier made me his puppet. He used you as a bait to lure me in to that deal. Fucker knows me far too good… But I’m done with him. I have a life. Life with you. If you still have me. If… Marie?” Wha… Where is he going now? Why is he getting out of bed? Did he drop something?

“Will you be my wife?”