Author's Chapter Notes:
Summary: “So I need you to trust me. I know that’s hard, you hardly know me, and it’s a lot to ask, but can you do that?”
Title: Unconditional 5/?
Author: sharonmjl47
Rating: NC-17
Category: Movieverse./AU
Disclaimer: I own nothing, and no one. Sad, isn’t it!
Genre: A lot of things.
Feedback: Please, bad or good. If no one tells me it’s bad, I won’t know!
**********************

She was the first awake in the morning. She hadn’t slept so well, Warren kept waking up in the night. He was scared, having a couple of small nightmares, she had wondered when the events of the last day would catch up with him. In the end she had put him in bed with her and now he was sleeping heavily.

Looking at the clock next to Logan’s bed, she realised it was just after 5am. Warren was still asleep beside her. She smiled down at him, got up and got dressed, putting on the plain green t-shirt and matching long-sleeved jersey that Logan’s sister had given her, and went into the living room to find him.

He was sprawled on his stomach on the couch. He had kicked the blankets off sometime during the night, and she had a perfect view of him. He turned over in his sleep onto his back and scratched his chest like a big grizzly bear.

She stood behind the couch and put her hand out tentatively. She just lightly touched his chest. He suddenly grabbed her wrist and turned himself, bringing her with him. He had her pinned underneath him in a second, her wrists either side of her head against the couch. “Jesus!”

“I’m sorry. I just wanted to…. I’m sorry.”

“Darlin’, the one thing you don’t do is sneak up on me.” He could tell straight away from the look on her face that he had scared her, so he instantly let got of her wrists.

“I wasn’t sneaking. I’m sorry, really… I…”

“Shhh, it’s ok.” He silenced her with a kiss and she relaxed.

“Mmmmm, ok, I was sneaking a little!” He chuckled and sat up, taking her with him so she straddled his lap.

He traced her bottom lip with his thumb; his face was serious as his eyes took in every part of her face. “You’re so beautiful.” She took his hand and kissed his palm lightly. He was looking at her so intensely she could feel her heartbeat all the way through her body.

He sighed and pulled her to him, burying his face in her chest, and she was instantly worried by his reaction. “Logan?”

He pulled away and looked at her again. She could see his eyes glistening with unshed tears, pain and fear. “You have no idea what you’re doing to me. I haven’t felt like this before about anyone. I don’t….Marie, I don’t feel, period. The closest I get is Jean, Scott, and Ellie. And even then I make sure it’s at a distance. There’s too much to worry about, too many variables, too many bad things that can happen to someone you care about. I’ve seen it all, so it’s… it’s easier not to care.”

She touched his face lightly. “Logan, it’s all right.” She was so close to tears. She had known him less than a day; he was so confident and so strong. Now he was so vulnerable and unsure.

“I been with a lot of woman, Marie, even had a couple of short relationships, but I still never felt anything. It was just gratification, lust, nothing more. You, you’re different. I wish I… I could pour myself into you some how, so you could see how much this hurts, you could see my thoughts and how I feel. You got me wanting you here, you and Warren and… being with me. You got me scared, Marie.”

He brought her face down to his, and her lips were almost touching his as she whispered. “Scared of what?”

“Scared of what could happen to you. What if I can’t protect you?” He touched her lips with his fingers again. “Most of all, I’m scared of what the fuck I’m gonna do when I wake up tomorrow and you’re not here.”

She started to cry, and he wiped her tears away with his fingers. “But, I could be. I could be here with you. I want to be here with you.”

He kissed her, and their emotions spilled over, taking over their hands and lips as they gripped, nipped and caressed each other feverishly. Realising that what they felt for each other outweighed anything that they had ever felt before, even the severity of their situation.

He wanted nothing more than to lay her on her back and rip her clothes off, but he knew that he needed to hold back, be gentle with her. His hands moulded her hips, thumbs rubbing her hipbones, making her squirm in his lap. Her hands gently caressed his jaw and throat. His lips crushing and crashing against hers as their tongue performed a private dance of their own.

Her chest was heaving against his as he moved his hips up to meet hers, feeling the heat from her through the denim and cloth. He slipped his hand from her left hip up under her top to cup her breast over the cotton fabric of her bra. A small feminine moan escaped her throat, she couldn’t help it. She loved the way he made her feel, so beautiful, so full of worth. He noticed her reaction and he groped her more firmly, tweaking her nipple into a firm bud.

She slid her hands down to the waistband of his sweats, and he grabbed her wrists stopping her. “Wait… we... we can’t, I don’t have any rubbers.”

She smiled into his lips. “I’m fixed.” He took her lips quickly, and his hand practically flew to the fly of her jeans. He stood up and pushed her jeans down along with her panties. Then, grabbing the creamy flesh of her thighs gently, he lifted her up and sat back onto the couch.

Kissing her furiously with his fingers tightly secured in her hair, he felt her free his erection from his sweats and then grasp it lightly. She stroked it a couple of times, making him hiss and moan at the amazing sensation. They broke their kiss. Then, meeting his eyes, she raised herself up and sunk onto it with a soft gasp.

Their frantic kissing and tearing at clothes had screeched to a halt the minute he entered her. He held her hips lightly and rocked into her. She gasped again and again, her open mouth almost touching his. Her eyes locked with his. She knew how he felt: exactly the same way she did. She could see it in his eyes… Less than a day, and he loved her.

For a brief moment he thought he was dreaming. Did he really have this woman in his arms, half-naked and slowly grinding her hips up and down his cock? He did. God, he really did, and he knew she cared about him, the same way he cared about her. Using his hands on her hips, he sped her up a little bit, and she began to moan. “Good?”

She was unable to speak. She just nodded and buried her face in his neck. He held her body to him, feeling every gasp and moan against the now sweat-slicked skin of his neck. Her hands had been grasping the back of the couch, but now they were gripping his wide biceps, and the more she moaned the deeper her nails dug.

He put one hand on the side of her face and brought it to his, kissing her hungrily. She began to buck wildly in his lap, then moaned, gasped and squeaked into his mouth as she came apart, her world turning black, leaving only the strong hot feeling coursing through her flushed body. Feeling her insides contracting around him. Two strong thrusts later, Logan joined her, moaning loudly and bouncing himself against her.

As he came down from his natural high with a big smile on his lips, he felt her begin to shake, and then she began to sob into his shoulder. He lifted her face to look at him. “Hey, what did I do? Did I hurt you? Darlin’, I’m so sorry, this was too much.”

She giggled, wiping her face. “No, sorry. Christ, how pathetic am I?” He looked a little confused, and she laughed at him again. “I haven’t had sex in nearly three years, and that was the first time. You know, that… I’ve, you know…”

He smirked smugly and kissed her quickly. “You do wonders for my ego, darlin’.”

She laughed and rested her forehead against his, whispering into his face again. “Shut up you smug bastard.”

They rearranged their clothes and then lay down on the couch, snuggled under his blankets, legs tangled. Her head was on his bare chest, and she kept fiddling with his chest hair, loving the softness of it. Neither of them had spoken. The silence was comfortable and understanding.

“You ok?” He was stroking her hair, feeling the silkiness of it and trying to process that he practically told her he loved her.

She carried on swirling her finger in his chest hair. “Mmmm, very. You?” She shifted slightly to look at him.

“Yeah. Tell me about yourself. I want to know everything about Marie Sutton.” She rested her chin on his chest to look at him. “Indulge me.”

She chuckled. “Ok. I was born May 5, 1979, in my Grandmama’s house in Meridian, Mississippi. My mother never made it to the hospital. She said I was too quick for her. I don’t have any brother or sisters. I don’t have any aunts or uncles. I was an only child to a couple of only children.” She chuckled again, and so did he.

“Where’d you go to school?”

“Don’t you have this in a file or something, listed under ‘wife’?”

“Probably, but I want to hear you say it.” He was looking at her intensely again, and she smiled shyly.

“I went to Crestwood Elementary School. My teacher was a big fat woman called Mrs. Penfold. She was really nice. Then when I was eight we moved to New York. That’s why I don’t have much of an accent anymore.”

“I can hear it in there - sexy southern drawl.” He fiddled with her hair, and she giggled at him again.

“My dad got a promotion, and we moved for that. My mother went back to Meridian after he died. She didn’t want to be around here anymore, or around me, I think.”

“Why you?”

“She seemed to think that Ethan had something to do with dad’s death, said it was too much of a coincidence. Dad didn’t want me to marry him, so according to her, Ethan had him killed to prove a point.”

“Surely he would have bragged about it to you, a show of control, that kind of thing?”

“That’s exactly what I said to her. I didn’t know what he was like then either, so naturally I defended him, but she wouldn’t listen and moved.”

“What did your father do for a living?”

“He was an accountant. That’s how I met Ethan. Dad had been doing the family books for a couple of years and Ethan worked there for a little while.”

Logan suddenly had a bad feeling that at least part of what Marie’s mother had thought could be right. If her father found out something about the family accounts, then it was possible that Ethan could have had him killed to keep him quiet and ensure that he had Marie. “Come on, it’s nearly eight. I need to shower and get dressed. Why don’t you fix Warren some breakfast? I think there’s some pancake mix in the cupboards somewhere. I keep it for Ellie.”

“Oh, ok.” She was little surprised at his sudden change of mood, but he was right. They needed to get organised.

He untangled himself from her, kissed her quickly, and took his pillow and blanket into the bedroom with him; he dumped them on the bed, grabbed his clothes and went into the bathroom.

She followed him into the bedroom and gently woke up Warren. He stretched and smiled at her. Then his face fell and he looked at her in horror. “Earl! I forgot about Earl. We have to go back for him.”

She sighed, putting her hands on her hips. “Warren, the lizard will be fine. I’ll call Jubes later. Maybe she or Hank can go and get him or feed him for you, ok? We have to stay safe right now.”

“Mom, please. He’ll miss me, and then he’ll get depressed, and he might die, or he won’t eat for Jubilee or Uncle Hank. What if he tries to escape and hurts himself?”

She looked at his face and sighed. “Ok, we’ll talk to Detective Howlett later, and see if we can swing by home to pick him up. But if he says no, then no, means no. Ok?”

“Ok.”

“Baby are you sure your ok, I know that all this has been way too much to handle?”

“I’m ok, I guess I just want to get back to normal. Get over stuff, like we did before.”

“Ok sweetie,…” She ruffled his hair. “You’re a real good boy. Come and get some breakfast. Then you can wash and get dressed.”

Logan had a quick shower, washed his hair, and cleaned his teeth. He briefly wondered about shaving, but then decided against it. He really did have the time. He put on fresh underwear, socks and jeans, did his belt up, hooking his Indian head in place, and walked into the living room just as he was pulling a thin black t-shirt over his head.

Marie caught sight of his chest just before he got his shirt on. She had to bite her lip and turn away before she said something she shouldn’t in front of Warren. She was still a little giddy. She’d had sex for the first time in years, and not only that - it was fantastic, loving sex.

Logan walked up behind her and kissed the back of her neck before Warren noticed. She shuddered a little and tried to hide her bright smile as she carried on cleaning the breakfast things. “So, how’d ya sleep, kid?”

Warren looked and smiled at Logan. “Good, you know, once I was out of the girl’s bed.”

“You’re not gonna let me forget I have a girl’s bed here, are you?”

Warren flashed a very cheeky grin. “Nope.” He looked at his mother who was putting Logan’s plates away and then back to Logan. “Detective Howle….”

“Logan, call me Logan.” Warren smiled brightly, like Logan had just given him the key to his house.

“Ok, Logan. Can we go back home and pick up Earl?”

He raised his eyebrow at him questioningly. “Who the hell is Earl?”

“He’s my gecko. We left him at home, and I don’t want him to be alone.”

“You have a lizard named Earl?”

Marie sat next to Warren and stroked his soft brown hair lightly. “Yeah, he’s really cute and nice. He doesn’t bite or anything. Can we please?”

The look on the boy’s face was pleading, but Logan shook his head. “Sorry kid, you can’t go home just yet. Is there someone you can call to swing by and feed him for ya?”

“I can call Jubilee. She’s a friend from work.” She kissed Warren on the top of his head as he leaned forward and rested his chin on his hands, looking completely dejected. Marie smiled, got up and walked to the bathroom.

“If he dies from loneliness, it will be your fault,” Warren mumbled.

Logan sat down opposite him. “Ok kid, you’re ten, which means in my book you’re old enough to be spoken to like an adult.” Warren lifted his head up; Logan thought that would get his complete attention. “You know what your father’s like?” Warren nodded, a grim look on his face.

“Right now the only thing he wants is to hurt your mother. Me and you, want to keep her safe, right?” He nodded again. “So I need you to trust me. I know that’s hard, you hardly know me, and it’s a lot to ask, but can you do that?”

“You got a gun?” His voice was quiet, but Logan could tell by his body language that he felt brave and extremely protective of Marie.

“Yeah.”

“So, can you protect her?”

“Yeah, absolutely.” Logan couldn’t believe that he was eye to eye with a ten year old and the kid had more guts than most of the rookie cops he had seen. “If we go back for *Earl*, it might put you and your mom in danger, so the choice is yours. Earl… or your mom? I don’t want you to say what you think I wanna hear, I want you to make the choice. What’s it gonna be kid?”

He went quiet briefly reminded of the danger they we’re all in. “Mom.” There was no hesitation or regret in his voice, and Logan was pleased. He smiled at him and patted him on the shoulder.

“Good. All you have to do is trust me, Warren, and we’ll all get through this.” Warren nodded with a confident smile, as he watched Logan get up and put on his gun holster, then check the weapon and secure it in the holster.

“You like her, don’t you?”

Logan was completely blindsided by his question. He opened his mouth a couple of times to speak, but he couldn’t think of anything to say. Warren sat there staring at him with a smug ‘you’re-busted-for-fancying-my-mom’ expression on his face. Eventually Logan was saved by his cell phone ringing.

“Yeah?”

“Logan, get the hell out of your apartment now! Creed and two others just went into your building.”

“SHIT!” He stuffed his phone into his pocket, grabbed his jacket and then he grabbed Warren by the arm, pulling him to the bedroom. He picked up his jeans and top and threw them at him. “Quickly.” Warren did as he was asked and shoved his jeans on over his shorts, threw his top in his backpack, and put on his fresh t–shirt and sweater, then shoved his backpack on his back.

“MARIE.” Logan shouted for her, and she came straight out of the bathroom, her hands in her hair putting it up. “We gotta go, right now!” Warren had got his trainers on and was finishing lacing them up.

Logan pushed up his bedroom window and helped Warren out onto the fire escape. While Marie grabbed her shoes and was following Warren out, Logan put on his leather jacket. He had one leg out of his window when he heard his front door burst open with a loud shout.

They were halfway down when a hail of bullets from a machine gun rattled metallically down the fire escape. Marie screamed and huddled in a corner. Logan noticed that Warren had more sense and kept running down. He caught Marie around the waist and made her keep going.

Scott was already at the bottom. He lowered the ladder and helped Warren. Next Marie and Logan jumped off. More bullets fired their way as they ran to Scott’s car, a blue BMW 3 Series. Marie hurried Warren into the back while Scott jumped in to drive and Logan got in the passenger seat.

“What the fuck is going on, Scott? How did they know she was with me?”

“How the hell am I supposed to know?” Scott hit the accelerator and took off with a loud screech of tyres.

“I know we weren’t followed. I made sure, real sure. Did you tell anyone?”

“No, only Jean, and she wouldn’t have said anything to anyone.” He turned a sharp corner, and Marie had to brace herself in the back so she didn’t squash Warren against the door. “Who else knew?”

“Only you, Jean, me, Marie and Markham.” He turned to the back. “You said something earlier about calling a friend to take care of the lizard, did you? Did you call anyone?”

“No, no one.” She was trying to put her trainers on without falling off the seat.

He turned back to Scott. “So, if none of us told anyone and there isn’t anyone that Jean would or could tell, then that only leaves one person.”

“Markham? You have to be joking?”

“There’s no smoke without fire. Maybe he’s connected somehow.”

The realisation suddenly dawned on Scott. “We’ve been set up.”

Logan rolled his eyes and threw his hands up in the air, his voice thick with sarcasm when he spoke. “No! Ya think?”

*****************END OF PART FIVE