Author's Chapter Notes:
Warning: There is content of this fic that includes physical abuse. I personally have no experince of this, but have loosly inclued this into my fic. If you have suffered from this or know someone that has please do not take offence at anything I have written. Basically, I don't want to upset anyone.

Summary: “He is never gonna hurt you or Warren again. I’ll take care of you.”
“I know you will. I don’t know how I know, I just do.”
Title: Unconditional 4/?
Author: sharonmjl47
Rating: NC-17
Category: Movieverse./AU
Disclaimer: I own nothing, and no one. Sad, isn’t it!
Genre: A lot of things.
Feedback: Please, bad or good. If no one tells me it’s bad, I won’t know!

**********************

She walked back into the kitchen after looking around Logan’s small apartment again. He had told her to look around, to make sure she felt comfortable and safe. It had one large bedroom with a bathroom attached. A kitchen/diner, which lead, open plan, to the living room. There was a fire escape from the bedroom window to the alley behind the building; she made sure she knew how to get the window open.

Warren was happy. He was currently loving Logan’s PS2 in the living room. Logan was drinking coffee and looking out the kitchen window. He turned when she walked in. “He’s happy enough.”

He handed her a cup of coffee, and she stood next to him to put sugar in it. “Good.”

“Thanks for having us here. I know it’s probably not your idea of fun.”

“Nah, it’s ok. You were kinda out of options. You’ll be picked up in the morning by Federal Officers. They want to ask you about your ex.”

“I don’t know what I would be able to tell them that they don’t already know.”

“When you were with him, did you see him deal or anything? Where there ever people he’d do business with at the house?”

“Not at the house. I saw him talk and exchange *briefcases* with a lot of people at the casino. There was always a party there: women, drugs the whole lot.”

“Why didn’t you testify against him? You could have put him away for years.”

“I couldn’t prove any of it. Every party he had could be explained away for legitimate purposes – promotion, that kind of thing. His father was a personal friend of the mayor, for Christ’s sake. Nine times out of ten, the casino’s function room was full to the brim with judges and senators. His family has always been well-respected and well-connected. Who was I gonna tell?”

Logan looked at his coffee and then back to her as she carried on speaking.

“Apart from anything else he scared me to death…” She looked at the floor. “Some days he hit me so much, I couldn’t remember my name, let alone what I’d seen. After I had Warren, I never went to the casino again, and people very rarely came to the house.”

“You’ve got no idea why he would want you dead?”

She shrugged. “I’m not sure I want to know.” She looked at him for a moment, then put her coffee down. “There was one guy who Ethan didn’t like me knowing about. I never really thought about it much until now. I remember watching the man leave once; I was upstairs and saw him through the window. He was there with his daughter, I think. She looked so miserable, bored. He gave Ethan a briefcase. It was full of money… I saw it later on. Then he put his daughter in the back of his car and left. I saw his face pretty clearly ‘cause he looked up at the window. I smiled, but it obviously didn’t make a very good impression.”

“Why?” Logan knew instantly what she had seen. A sale.

“Ethan… he, um, later on he told me I was nosy, and then he…” Her eyes filled with tears, but she managed to keep them in. He pulled her to him. She wrapped her arms around his waist, and he kissed the top of her head. Logan wanted to kill him, rip him apart. He couldn’t understand how anyone could abuse such a lovely and beautiful woman.

He brought her face up so he could look her in the eyes. “He is never gonna hurt you or Warren again. I’ll take care of you.”

“I know you will. I don’t know how I know, I just do.”

“Yeah.” He cupped her face and kissed her, gently lowering her jaw with his thumb and slipping his tongue into her mouth.

She pulled away and blushed at the intensity of his kiss.

“Sorry, I’m pushing.”

“No, you’re not. I just don’t do this. I… I’ve never been with anyone else. My experience with *him* wasn’t exactly good. So this is a little scary, and the situation isn’t exactly perfect, you know. I’m not sure that starting something with you while my ex-husband is trying to kill me is a good idea.”

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry. I just can’t seem to keep my hands off you.” He stared at her a little more. “When this is over, I would like to… would you like to go out?”

She smiled brightly at him. “Yeah, I would.” He gently bent his head to her again and kissed her quickly. She blushed again. “You need to stop doing that.”

“What - kissing you?”

“No, making me blush.”

“I like it.” She giggled and moved away from him picking up her coffee again. “You… I mean, I’ve seen women before, victims of violence, you seem so together.”

“I was a basket case, right after we got away from Ethan. I was a mess. I had counselling for about a year. Apparently I should still be having it now, but I got through as much as I was going to with the counsellor. The rest I’m determined to do on my own. Having Warren gets me though. Knowing there’s someone else, I have to get over it because it’s not about me, it’s about him.”

“You should be proud of yourself. I know its very hard, different people deal with things differently. I admire anyone, man or woman, whose willing to admit they need help and accept it. That’s usually the hardest part and the most important.”

“I am, but I still have days where I just want to cry. I don’t want to be around people, and I’m scared of how I’m gonna cope. I tell myself all I have to do is get through that day and hope tomorrow is better. It usually is.” She took a thoughtful sip from her mug. “It did help that I had a relationship with someone last year. It didn’t last more than three months, but it got my confidence back, you know. Made me feel like I can be with someone without having to worry that they’re going to give me a slap if I say something they don’t like. It re-built my trust a little, in people, men.”

He was about to kiss her again because she was so wonderful, so brave. The silence was broken by a knock at Logan’s door.

“Are you expecting someone?”

“No. Take Warren in the bedroom, and shut the door.” She immediately put her mug down and ran to Warren, pulling him away from the Playstation and into Logan’s bedroom. She shut the door and sank down against it to try and listen.

With his gun behind his back, Logan looked through his peephole on his front door. He sighed and rolled his eyes, holstering his gun and opening the door. “Marie, it’s only Scott.”

She came out of the bedroom looking a little pale, but she smiled at Scott anyway. Warren ran straight back to the games console and began playing again.

“What the hell are ya doin’ here?”

He was carrying a cardboard box and took it straight into the kitchen and put it on the breakfast bar. Logan and Marie followed him. “Well, I was telling Jean about Marie and Warren and that you had to look after them for the night, and she started fussing and insisting I come over with this.”

He began taking things out of the box. “There’s a fresh t-shirt and sweater and some nightclothes for you, and the same for Warren.” He placed them on the counter. “I have a girl, but the clothes for Warren are plain, so he won’t notice, and they should fit. She’s tall for her age. Jean also sent some leftovers.”

“Wow! She didn’t have to do all this.”

“I think she was afraid Logan would let you starve.” He handed Marie a large pan filled with leftover vegetables and cold chicken wrapped in saran wrap.

“Hey, tell her I resent that.”

“Warren, come get something to eat.” He ran in from the other room and sat up at the counter, Marie instantly thought that he must be really hungry if he came away from the PS2 so easily. Then she thought about it, the poor kid couldn’t have eaten all day.

Logan got a couple of plates and cutlery out and helped her dish out the food for her and Warren. Then he moved the box out of the way. Scott smiled at the sight of Logan in the kitchen with a woman. He decided it suited him and secretly hoped that after everything, Logan and Marie would work out. “Ok, I better go. I’ll see you in the morning, yeah?”

“Yeah, I’ll walk you out.”

“Night, Marie, Warren.”

“Night, sir.”

“Night and thank you again.” She kissed him on the cheek, and he blushed and fidgeted, making Logan laugh.

Logan walked with Scott to the front door and opened it for him. “Thank Jeannie for me, will ya?”

“Yeah ok. Jean was a little concerned about something else as well.”

“Let me guess - don’t take advantage?”

“She’s right, Logan. I know you’re attracted to her, but this isn’t the time to be making any kind of move on her.”

“Well, you can tell her from me that my sex life is none of her business… And I know. I’m not that much of a bastard.”

Scott laughed. “She say anything?”

“She was telling me earlier about this man she saw at the house once. She said he had his daughter with him, and he gave Palmer a briefcase full of money.”

“Could be nothing.”

“Palmer and the guy saw her looking, so he gave her a beating for it. I’m betting she saw him selling that girl but doesn’t realise it.”

“Jesus. So he really is dealing in underage girls. Shit! Did she say how old the girl looked?”

“No, I didn’t ask.”

“How about I come over before those FBI guys get here in the morning? I’ll bring the photos of the five dead girls we found. I’ve got the file at home. If that little girl she saw is one of them, we could have the reason why Palmer wants her dead? All we have to do is identify the guy she saw.”

“Good idea.”

“Have you told her about these girls?”

“No, she’s had enough to think about. Maybe later or in the morning.”

“Ok, see you then.”

He closed the door on Scott and walked back into the kitchen to eat something with Marie and Warren. He hadn’t really thought about it, but he was hungry. He sat next to her and ate some of the chicken. She kept glancing at him, the same way she had in the diner earlier that day.

Once Warren was finished, he went back to the games console. Logan helped her clean away the plates and cutlery and dry them up. He kept smiling at how normal it was, him and her, just being normal like they did the dishes together all the time. He decided he could live with this.

Logan went into his bedroom and got an inflatable bed out of the closet. It was bright pink. Warren walked in as he was blowing it up with a foot pump. “This be ok for you, bub?”

“Is that a trick question?” Logan looked the kid up and down, unsure if he was joking or not.

“Why? I never had any objections from my niece when she stays over. ”

“Well, your niece isn’t going to object, because she’s your niece. If she was your nephew, then trust me she’d object.”

Logan looked at the bed, then back to Warren smirking. “Well if she was my nephew, I would probably have bought a blue one. Does it matter?”

“I’m ten.” He said it like it explained everything. “It matters.”

Marie had obviously heard their discussion; she stifled a giggle then called out to Warren from the bathroom. “Warren, you be grateful and say thank you to Detective Howlett.”

Both Warren and Logan looked towards the bathroom and then back at each other. “Thank you, Detective Howlett.” Warren’s voice was deadpan, and the disgusted look on his face said everything.

“Warren, come get washed up for bed.” He wandered to the bathroom, and Logan chuckled as he finished pumping up the bed, laying some blankets and a pillow on it for him. He resisted the evil temptation to put Ellie’s ‘My Little Pony’ blanket on the top.

Once she had Warren asleep she changed into the nightclothes that Scott’s wife had given her: a camisole top and cropped pyjama bottoms. Then went back to the living room where Logan was putting his own pillow and another blanket on the couch.

He had changed and was wearing only a thin pair of sweatpants. He had his back turned when she walked in. She let her eyes roam over his tanned and muscled back. There was a light covering of hair, and she bit her lip, wanting to touch him and find out if it was soft. She stood watching him, smiling at his body.

“You gonna stare at my ass all night?”

She jumped; he hadn’t turned round to look at her. “How did you…?”

He smiled and gestured to the stereo system in the corner. The cabinet it sat on had glass doors, and she could now see his reflection. He could see her staring at him all along. “Sorry.”

He turned and walked towards her. “I don’t mind. Stare all you want.” The front view of him was even better than the back. She thought he looked like someone off of the fire fighter calendar Jubilee had on the inside of her work locker. Smooth tanned skin, big shoulders and wide muscular arms. He obviously worked out a lot - an awful lot.

He got close to her, and she backed up against the wall. “I’m not gonna hurt ya, Marie.”

She blushed and looked at her feet. “I know. Just I have no idea what I’m doing.”

“We’re not doing anything.” Even though he wanted nothing more than to pick her up and kiss, lick and nip every inch of her skin.

She bit her lip and gently put her shaky hands on his tight stomach, smiling at the feel of his skin. “What if I want to do something?” She slid her hands up to his chest and then onto his shoulders.

Both were breathing hard as she pulled his head down for a kiss. He couldn’t keep his hands off of her. He gripped her hips lightly, but still letting her take control of the situation. She turned and pressed him into the wall behind them. Again, he slipped his tongue into her mouth, and the kiss intensified.

One of his large hands roamed over her back while the other gently cupped her breast, and he ground his growing erection into her. She gasped into his mouth, and he nipped at her lips, then her throat and shoulder, moving her camisole strap out of the way to do it.

Her hands traced an unknown pattern over his chest and up his arms. She couldn’t get enough of the feel of his skin. She raised her thigh until it was level with his hip, and he rubbed himself against her again, both of them moaning at the friction it caused.

Moisture began to gather in between her legs, and she felt like her skin was tingling at his touch. She wanted more of him. She wished she could draw him in somehow. He had nipped and licked his way back up from her collarbone to her lips again, and she gripped his hair holding him to her.

He broke the kiss panting. “Marie, we shouldn’t. I can’t.”

“I get it. Ethan, he…” She pulled away slightly, feeling rejected and emotional.

“No, it’s not him.” He nipped at her bottom lip.

“What then?”

“You’re wearing my sister’s pyjamas, and it’s more than a little weird.”

They both laughed, and at that moment, Warren woke up and called for her. She smiled and gestured to the bedroom door. “I should…”

“Yeah.” He kissed her one last time. “Night, darlin’.” She slipped away from him and went quietly into the bedroom.

He attempted to adjust his sweatpants around his erection. It was uncomfortable. He sighed and got under his blanket on the couch, first making sure his gun was secured under his pillow.

His desire was soon dampened when he thought about could happen to her and Warren over the coming hours. They we’re both still in incredible danger, he had made a promise to keep them safe and he was determined to keep that promise. He sighed, now knowing he wasn’t going to get to sleep anytime soon.

************END OF PART FOUR