Author's Chapter Notes:
Hugs and kisses to Gamma. She has made time fo me when I know she's been without a computer and I am really greateful.

Notes: AU: NO MUTATIONS, just normal people and normal problems in a normal messed-up world!

The same cast, but different characters. Also witness the return of Ethan Palmer, different story, but he’s still a bastard and he’s still creepy.

Summary: She sat in the car and watched him walk into the school gate….. She knew half the time she was just being paranoid… it wasn’t worth the risk.
Title: Unconditional
Author: sharonmjl47
Rating: NC-17
Category: Movieverse./ AU
Disclaimer: I own nothing, and no one. Sad, isn’t it!
Feedback: Please, bad or good. If no one tells me it’s bad, I won’t know!
**********************

Marie Sutton walked to her ten-year-old son’s room and knocked on the door. “Warren, come on. You’re going to be late for school.”

“Coming, mom.” She shook her head, he was probably too busy playing with his lizard. He had a small Geko in a tank in his room. He was obsessed with reptiles, snakes, lizards the whole lot. She didn’t mind him having the lizard as long as she kept it away from her. It was her present to him when they moved into the apartment.

She went back into the small kitchen to finish his lunch. The apartment was small. The living room and kitchen/dinner were all in together, and it only had two small bedrooms and a bathroom. But it was theirs, their safe place, their haven, and it was nothing to do with her ex-husband.

They had been married for eight difficult years. She was only 18 when she married him, thinking he was the best thing in the world. A tough man, but one she thought loved her. He was a member of a rich well known family who lived and owned a string of night-clubs and casinos in central New York. What could be better for a young girl? After a couple of months he changed and she figured out who he really was. A drug dealer, a dealer in girls and nothing but a sick twisted bully.

He abused her by hitting her and taunting her, making her feel weak and feeble. He had kicked her, smacked her into walls and even once he had broken four of her fingers. He had complete and utter control of her and managed to do what ever he wanted to her, because she was afraid, afraid how far his violence would stretch.

She had imagined what could happen, he could rape her, stab her, shoot her, there was no end of possibilities of what he was capable of. Once she had Warren her fears had doubled. She kept her mouth shut, did as she was told and made sure Warren was always out of the way.

She had sex with him, sometimes it was the only time he would be nice to her. But it was never good, never enjoyable, she always had fear in the back of her mind that it could turn nasty at any moment, she could never relax. So she simply just lay there while he pawed her and got what he wanted. She was grateful if was never too often, she could count how many time during their marriage that they’d had sex. He wasn’t really interested after a couple of years, she knew he had other woman for that.

Even during and after she was pregnant he still hit her, still taunted her. She would be sick sometime, her stomach churning in pain and disgust. She would cry and he would hit her for being weak, for being nothing. She only stayed out of the fear.

It was only after years of being treated like nothing that she finally had the strength to stop it. He had been shouting at her, telling her how stupid she was, why was she even there, she wasn’t worth anything. All she had done was push him away when he’d tried to kiss her.

Warren had come home from school early and had seen his father hit her for the first time. He had tried desperately to defend her, as best a seven-year-old boy could. Ethan had never hit him, but without a second thought he backhanded him. She watched in horror as her innocent little boy was carelessly flung across the room.

Marie knew right there that she had to go, had to get away. She grabbed Warren, ran to her car and drove to the nearest police station. They took photos of her bruises and told her Ethan would be dealt with. But he wasn’t. The cops were bought off, the pictures disappeared and he was never charged.

She did however manage to get a restraining order declared against Ethan and divorce him. Ethan’s parents, who she and Warren actually quite liked, sued for access and they were given it, one day a fortnight, provided that Ethan was never there and Warren was never near him. Ethan also had to give her some money each month, but it wasn’t much, and if he didn’t pay, she didn’t ask for it, she had too much pride for that.

She was broken out of her memories by Warren bounding into the room. She loved the amount of energy he had. He grabbed his lunch bag and put it into his backpack. She was certain there wasn’t another boy in the world as sweet as he was. He was so loving and caring and she absolutely adored him. “I’m ready.”

She looked him over. He was a good looking child, thankfully not looking too much like his father. He had short brown hair and lovely blue eyes, he was average height of a ten-year-old.

“Ok, honey, you got everything: bag, books, pencil case?” She got her car keys, and they walked to the door.

“Yeah, yeah. Oh no, gym stuff.” He took off to his room again and came back a second later with his gym bag.

“Ready now?”

“Yes.” She rolled her eyes and shook her head. The last three years had been really hard for both of them, but they had got through. Things were different; she was different. She had a job, her own apartment, and she had taken self-defence classes. She was strong now, inside and out.

After the third attempt, her car started, and they were off to school. It wasn’t far, but she hated the idea of him walking on his own. She was protective of him, but after what they had been through, she had reason to be.

She stopped outside the school, and he gave her a kiss on the cheek. “See you later.”

“Bye, sweetie. I’ll be here to pick you up, ok?”

“Yeah, bye.”

She sat in the car and watched him walk into the school gate just as the bell rang. He met with his friends, and they all ran into the main door. She sat there a few more minutes until she was sure he was definitely inside. She knew half the time she was just being paranoid, but then she thought what if one day she didn’t check and something happened? It wasn’t worth thinking about, and it wasn’t worth the risk.

She drove off to work with a smile on her lips and after a while was singing happily along with the radio. She was still singing when she pulled in round the back of Roly’s Diner. She parked her car and went in.

In the back room, she changed into her uniform - well a bowling style shirt and an apron that she wore over her jeans - and went out to start setting up for the day. Most of the customers that they had were either Yellow cab drivers or cops, so all were courteous and tipped well, which suited her as they pay was only just enough to cover her rent and groceries.

She worked everyday of the week from just after nine until three, when she would go and get Warren from school. And each one of those shifts she worked with Jubilee. She was the chef’s daughter, the same age as Marie, 28, and over the last two years or so, they had become very close friends.

The morning had been slow. Marie and Jubilee were leaning on the counter talking. “So this guy comes in, and he’s like, what time do you finish, and I’m like, please, does a cop’s badge and a beer belly look like it works for me?”

“Jubes! You’re evil. Can’t you let them down gently?”

“No. You know what they say - I like my men how I like my coffee: dark and strong, none of that cream and sugar crap.” Marie laughed, and Jubilee looked out into the small parking lot. “Although I could be swayed by that.”

Marie looked up to see two plain-clothed cops get out of a black SUV; she could see their badges on the belts. One wore chinos and a dark NYPD sweater and funny-looking shades.

The other - she caught her breath. God, he was handsome. Tall, broad shoulders, a little rough looking, but she could see he was a nice guy. He was wearing tight jeans. Tucked into them was a plain light blue shirt. He had an Indian belt buckle on and then a suit jacket over the top.

She took in his face: square jaw with a little stubble, dark hair and she couldn’t quite see his eyes, but she bet they were beautiful. They were still outside, discussing something over the top of the car. “Jubes, why don’t you take a break? I’ll serve them.”

“I’m not tired. I’ll serve them.” Jubilee smiled sickly sweet at her.

“No, *really*, I’ll see to them.” Because she wanted to see those eyes.

“But I know them.”

“What?” Marie couldn’t believe her ears.

“Yeah, they come in the evenings, when you’re not here. Shame. The big guy’s Detective Howlett, Logan, and the one in the shades is Detective Summers, Scott. Why don’t you run along and fill up the coffee, while I serve them.” Marie gaped at her best friend and laughed, slapping her on the arm.

“Bitch.”

“Sure am, sister.” They both laughed that time.

The bell on the top of the door went, and she could hear them as they came in. She had her back to the door while she filled the coffee machine back up. She could also hear Jubilee fussing over them. She smiled and shook her head. Turning slightly, she could see their reflection in the mirror behind the counter.

The taller one, Logan, took off his jacket and hung it on the high stool behind him. The shirt he wore was thin, and she could see all his muscles as he moved. He had a tan colour gun holster that went across his back, so the gun was tucked under his right arm. Thanks to Ethan, guns made her nervous, but he looked like he would be careful with it.

Suddenly, he looked at the mirror and looked directly into her eyes. She was right; they were beautiful: a soft hazel colour surrounded by a slightly darker colour. They bored right into her. He smiled at her and sat down again; she blushed and looked away, swearing softly under her breath.

She finished with the coffee machine and went back into the kitchen, not daring to look in his direction again. She ignored Hank the chef and went straight to the fridge, taking out a can of soda. She pressed it to her head and fanned herself with the other hand. She had never looked at or been looked at like that. He made heat rise in her body that she thought had been gone a long time ago.

Jubes walked in and laughed at her. “God, he’s had an effect, hasn’t he!”

“Shut up and place the man’s order!”

“Hank, the two lovely cops out front would like, 6 oz. steak, fries and salad for one and the other would like the BBQ chicken with veg and sweet potatoes.” She turned back to Marie. “He asked me your name.”

“What? Did you tell him?”

“Of course I did. Oh shoot, I forgot to get them their coffee. Would you do it?”

“Jubes, I’m not falling for that.” Marie crossed her arms in front of her.

She ran past Marie towards the back room toilet. “Sorry, when a girl’s gotta go!”

She smoothed down her hair, took a deep breath and walked out to the front counter. “You guys need some coffee?” He immediately looked up, and their eyes locked. Her stomach flipped, and she had to remember to breathe again.

“Yeah, thanks.” She put two large mugs in front of them and picked up the large jug of coffee from the maker. She filled the mugs, trying not to look at his face. She kept telling herself he was just another customer.

As they ate their lunch and chatted about cop stuff, she busied herself with catering to customers and clearing tables. She glanced his was every now and then. A couple of times, he caught her eye and smiled at her. She smiled back and tried to pretend she just happened to be looking that way and wasn’t looking at him on purpose.

She was taking an order from another customer when she noticed him stand and put his jacket back on. The one Jubes had said was Scott stood as well. They paid Jubilee, who flirted shamelessly, and they turned to leave. Scott went out first, but just as Logan was going through the door, he turned and winked at her. She smiled and turned back to her customer. She had to ask him three times what he wanted, because she was too busy watching Logan get in his car and drive off.

At five past three, she kissed Jubes goodbye and walked to her car. She didn’t bother to change out of her uniform; she wanted to take it home and wash it. She always did on a Friday, as she didn’t have to wear it again until Monday.

Running late, she raced across town and arrived at Warren’s school just as the bell rang. She waited as groups of children came out and filtered away. As she watched, the flow of children began to get slower until no more came out. She got out of her car and walked into the school. He had been late before, usually when he got into trouble.

She walked into his classroom to find his teacher, but someone else was there clearing up. “Hi, is Mrs. Filch here?”

“No, she’s away today and tomorrow. I’m the supply teacher Miss Reader. Can I help you?”

“Yes, um, I’m Warren Palmer’s mother, is he here or in the gym or something?”

“No, his father picked him at lunch time.” She noticed the way Marie went pale and started to worry. “He said it was prearranged. Are you telling me that this wasn’t prearranged?”

She put her hand over her mouth. “Oh God! No, it wasn’t. We have a restraining order against him, he’s not allowed anywhere near me or my son. How could you let him leave?” She sat down on the nearest desk, a thousand awful things running through her mind.

“I’m sorry I didn’t know, Warren went willingly.”

“Of course he would, he’s scared stiff of the man! He would do anything he said. Oh God, no!”

She got up and ran back to her car, screeching away from the school as she picked up her mobile phone. Ethan’s number was on her speed dial. He picked up after a couple of seconds.

“Yes?”

“Where’s my son, you son of a bitch?”

“Sorry, baby, I should have mentioned it earlier, but I didn’t want to. I’m going on a little trip, and Warren is coming with me.”

“You are not taking him anywhere, don’t you…”

“I can do whatever the fuck I like, and I will. You’re never gonna see him again, baby. Oh and by the way, you’re dead!” He hung up, and she started to sob at the wheel.

She threw her phone on the passenger seat as she pulled into the Police Precinct parking lot. She immediately ran up to the front desk. The cop behind it looked up with a lazy expression and was very blunt with her. “Whaddyaa want, Miss?”

“My son. It’s my son. His father has kidnapped him. Ya have to help me, please, before it’s too late!”

*************END OF PART ONE