“Marie… what are you doin’ out here?”

She made eye contact and immediately wished that the Earth would open up and swallow her whole.

“Logan?”

Jubilee and Kitty both drew their eyebrows up in confusion.

"You know this guy?"

Marie barely heard her friend, but waved a hand in reply.

“Yeah, just- give us a sec.”

Kitty nodded and walked away; dragging Jubilee behind her.

She gave Marie a wink, “Make that money babe.”

Marie cringed, “Of all the things…” She mumbled, trailing off.

Logan brought her attention back to the matter at hand, “Let’s try this again… what are you doing out here?”

As much as Marie felt the need to shield him from the truth, Logan’s accusatory tone was grating on her nerves.

“What does it look like? I ain't waitin' for a bus.”

Logan glared at the clothes she wore… tight all over and sparse to begin with.

“Why?”

There was a rolling of the eyes and the over dramatic (and somehow inappropriate) polishing of nails against lycra.

“I don’t know… for money, food… shelter. Pick one.”

Sarcasm dripped from every word, but at some point passed, Marie had stopped caring.

Logan’s anger grew considerably, but he kept it in check; clenching his jaw tighter as he struggled to understand the situation.

“… You know what I mean… why didn’t you tell me?”

“Well, it’s not just something you blurt out when you first meet someone. Besides, I didn’t think I’d ever see you again.”

“... You’re too good for this.”

“Yeah maybe, but I don’t have a lot of other options.”

“That’s bullshit Marie and you know it!”

“What the Hell do you care anyway?! I don’t see you puttin’ money in my pocket!”

Logan thought about that for a moment. A second passed, then two, until the silence became almost unbearable. He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a wad of cash. It was money from Hannah and others just like her and maybe even worse… money from girlfriends, fiancés, wives and divorcés.

He handed it to Marie, “Here, we're even. Now go home… you deserve better.”