Author's Chapter Notes:
5 years after movie events.
"You know, sometimes I wonder ..." Marie said as she stared at the night sky.

Ororo broke her gaze from where they were lying and watching the night pass to look at the newest member of the team.

"Sometimes I wonder if things were meant to happen this way ... the world with its troubles, life here at the mansion ... this bond that I share with Logan ..." Marie said, continuing to stare at the stars.

"Some believe in destiny, other believe our lives are what we make them to be." Ororo replied softly, not wanting to break the tranquillity of their outdoor setting.

The two of them continued to stare up at the heavens until finally Marie said. "I think Logan would fit into the latter ... I can't see him believing that he is not in control of his life."

"Nor would he have in any other way." She allowed herself a faint smile, Ororo thought of their mutual friend.

"So what do you think Ororo?" Marie turned to her friend and asked.

Ororo paused before saying "Most of the time I believe that we have to be create our own destiny, especially since it is what we have been trying to do here with the professor. In the hope that one day we may all live in peace. Why do you ask?"

"Last night, after coming back from the visit to the infirmary I held this crazy hope that perhaps this was all a dream, but it is not is it?" Marie trembled slightly, more from the chill than from the fear she felt in the infirmary.

"Maybe if we dare to dream ..." Ororo left her sentence hanging. There was no need to finish it, they both knew the stakes. "It would be nice to know how this tale ends and for all our sakes I hope we get the ending we need. Thre are sometimes when I wonder if we are just characters in a novel. Written by beings we can't comprehend, for their enjoyment ... well, even if it were the case, we could never know of it."

"If we are characters, I don't like the anguish that who ever it is, is putting us through. There is already too much pain as it is right now..." Rogue sighed from frustration.

"Perhaps it give them pain in a pleasurable way. Let's them know what is like to crave something and have it snatched away before their very eyes. "

"Hmp! - and what thanks do we get for providing them with their emotional release? Have us going at each other like bunnies?"

"I recall you had no problems with that the other night. The two of you were deliriously happy even when the two of you somehow managed break through our dividing wall. Unintentional as it might have seen." Ororo managed to smile at that thought. The look on the faces of her friends was priceless, after they had realised what that there was a third person in the room.

"Oh ... I'm ... I" Marie tried to turn from her friend as her face began to glow then giggles started to erupt. Then suddenly she sank back into Ororo for support. "I hope he's all right."

"I'm sorry ... perhaps that was not the time to bring that up." Ororo brought her hands up to comfort the young girl.

"No, don't be ... he survived my touch twice, so this is probably a walk in the park for him. Besides you've the only one who has been able to cheer me up." Marie said trying her best to stay positive.

"..."

"So, do you think they actually watch ...?" Marie asked coyly

Ororo laughed before pausing to consider what Marie had said. "Probably... since we're already acting out their fantasies for them."

"I bet you they do ... and they will get all hot and bothered as well."

Ororo shook her head and asked her, "Are you volunteering to march up to an omnipotent being and ask them that? If you do, tell me for I wouldn't miss that for the world if you did."

"You know, I've heard rumours that such a thing has been done before."

"What, giving them a piece of your mind? You do not by any chance refer to a tavern of some sort where great being get together to discuss what they should write next about our lives?" Ororo asked, surprised that Marie would have come across such a tale.

"Yep, that one."

"I doubt it really exist, but if it does it is probably not for mere mortals like us."

"..."

"..."

They stayed silent for the next few minutes just enjoying each others company and perhaps hoping that things were taking a turn for the better.

"It would be nice to know this ends though, as you said." Marie finally said, breaking the silence

"It would." Ororo said. "Come, I think it's time we went back inside... tomorrow will be a long day."

The other woman nodded before joining her friend in walking back to the mansion.

Fade to black ...