Author's Chapter Notes:
another Jean smack down and a sweet dinner date.
However to my dismay the summer went exactly how I had predicted it. Jean had decided that Gambit was her new target. Apparently she hadn’t completely understood Ororo’s message when she said stay away from ALL taken men. Because if she hadn’t realized Gambit was really to busy perusing an already wanting Jubilee and had been at this time been doing it successfully for years. So when Jubilee noticed that Jean was starting to spend a lot more time with Gambit she through a Jubilee sized fit. Especially, during one of our last breakfast at the X-house for the summer.

Jean had taken it upon her self this morning to sit on the other side of Gambit at breakfast. This little noticed gesture lead to Jean getting a black eye and a broken nose from Jubilee when Jubilee notice Jean placing her hand on Gambit’s arm and openly flirting with him in public and right in front of Jubilee. To say the least Jean made a quick escape to the Med Lab and then another to her room where she packed her stuff and made a quick trip back to Washington. However, Gambit and Jubilee decided that during Jean’s little get away they would do some reconfirming of their relationship. Which seemed too had lasted all day long.

“Remember the days when that was us?” Logan asked me as I was sitting outside watching Tristan play in the yard.

“Yes ah do but ah also remember that unlike Gambit you eventually did run off to Jean and ah was the one to flee.” I hadn’t really meant for it to come out as harsh as it did but deep down even though he is trying to fix his mistakes in life, it still hurt and with the day’s events that hurt seemed to hurt a lot more than usual.

“Well, at least now we know who was right about Gambit. He is smarter than he looks,” that made me smile and bring back the memories of Gambit trying to peruse me. Logan and I had gotten in to a horrendous argument about the morals and brains that actually made up the man that was Gambit. Now I guess we know who won that battle.

“Lets just say it was an argument Ah would have liked to have lost,” I gave him a sad smile and continued my watching of our son.

Deep down the scene that was playing out before me was one that I had always hoped for. Logan and I sitting on the porch watching our children playing in the backyard and we are talking about old times and what not. However, this wasn’t exactly how I had imagined it. Logan was still mine in that particular fantasy. Nevertheless these day’s I take what ever I can get to something that resembles normalcy.

“Marie… I know you and I are still kinda rocky right now, but I…I was wondering if it would be okay for us to you know go out sometime. You know you, me and Tristan, just the three of us?” He was scared and I knew it, I knew deep down he had originally wanted to just ask me out but was scared too, scared of my rejection of him.

“Sure Logan that should be fine. Where would you like to take us?” When I looked back at Logan I couldn’t remember seeing him smile like that in a long time. His whole face lit up to my response and I was glade that it was me who once again got to see it and put it on his face.


“I’m not sure some where nice I guess.”

“Well sugar we really can’t go to some of the place you and I usually went when we were together. Ah do believe Tristan is a little too young to be going to a bar. So some place where they have a kids menu would be nice.” I suggested to him with a smile. It seems like every time we talk about something it brings back old memories of Logan and I together before the ‘Jean thing.’

“Okay then can I pick ya’ll up at say six and then maybe catch a movie?” He asked me with pleading eyes.

“Sounds good to me,” I smiled at him and then we just kind of stared at each other for a couple of moments. Making it feel like it was the beginning of our relationship again.

At exactly six o’clock Logan knocked on our door. Tristan was overly thrilled to be going out with his new friend Logan. I still don’t think he quite understands that it’s his father but at least he thinks of him as a good friend now. For the last month all he does all day is either hang out with Logan or talk about Logan. I have begun to think that Tristan is hero worshiping him like I did all those years ago when I was the one he was saving.

Logan took us out to a nice restaurant that had a fun atmosphere that Tristan could enjoy while Logan and I talked some. It was a little awkward at first. It kind of felt like a date because when Logan wasn’t entertaining Tristan he was talking to me and his eyes were so intense that it scared me a little. It was like I could see in his eyes, that yes he was trying and that he did want this, wanted us.

After dinner Logan took us to the old cinema and there was a showing of some of the older movies. I was a little skeptical at first until realized we were going to see one of the old Superman’s. Tristan was beyond thrilled, because he absolutely loved superman. I always wondered if it was because I am an ex-superhero. But I doubt that. The movie was fun nevertheless and Tristan fell asleep half way through the movie. Logan had to carry him out to the car and placed him in the back seat while I sat in the passenger seat. When Logan finally jumped in to the driver’s seat of the Suburban Xavier had lent out I knew I had to say something so we didn’t have to sit in uncomfortable silence.

“Thanks Logan we had a good time. Maybe we can all do it again sometime. Ah mean Tristan had a blast,” There I broke some of the silence. I looked over at him and noticed he had on his poker face. He used to only give me that look when he didn’t want to display his real emotions.

“I’m glade ya’ll had fun. So when do ya’ll leave for home again?”

“Saturday, Tristan starts school on Monday so ah wanted to get him home at a day before so we could unpack and get some of his things for school, you know stuff like that,” I yawned and stretched a little in the car.

“You know if you need any help you can call me you know, I hate knowing that you had to take care of him by your self Marie,” I was completely shocked. I hadn’t realized he wanted to help that much and he called me Marie again. I wasn’t excepting this to say the least.

“Well, if you wonna help with Tristan Ah’m not going to stop you Logan. It’s only fair; he’s your son too and Ah wouldn’t want to stop you from being a part of his life Logan, and speaking of which. Are you still going to come and see him for a weekend once a month?” I had turned to look at him hoping he was going to say yes, because if he didn’t it would break Tristan heart.

“Of course I am.”

“Good, well the, how about you come over the last weekend of every month. You can also come over for his birthday and well we always come up here for the holiday’s so if your traveling then we can always meet back at Xavier’s for the holiday’s and that way we don’t have to worry about who gets him when,” I thought that sounded reasonable enough.

“Really? Sounds good to me, I thought it would be like a day or something once a month.”

“No Ah think it’s time you two shared some more time together, and anyways if it all works out the maybe after next summer you can take him for a week or something as long as you make sure he gets his homework done and gets to school on time. Then maybe next year we can move on to that and then the year after more time and what not.”

“I would like that a lot, thanks.” I swear it almost sounded like he wanted to cry, but don’t I couldn’t be sure.

“Your welcome,” by the end of this conversation we are pulling into the driveway of the mansion and parking ending our conversation. Logan went and got Tristan and carried him to his bed just like last time and I thanked him again for the evening. He just said thank you for every thing and walked off. I thought the evening went pretty well as I crawled into bed and went to sleep.

Saturday came and Tristan was upset as usual. He always hates to leave to go home. He loves the mansion so much and everyone in it, its ridiculous sometimes. I gave Logan our address and he is supposed to come up on the last weekend of every month till August of next year. I just hope everything works out, for Tristan sake that is.