Author's Chapter Notes:
This story is slow and up coming but I will eventually finish it. This is also my first story so I hope I am doing it right.
They say that when your life changes you wont notice it. But I think they were wrong. It’s been four years since my life has changed. For the good I am still very unsure, but so far I would say it has been, in a weird sort of away I guess. You see, it’s been four years since I found out about my mutation and three since the Liberty Island incident, when my mentors biggest foe kidnapped me and forced me to do something that not even Hitler himself would do. But that’s another story for another time. Right now however I am discussing the present and a little bit of the past but you have to understand the past to become fully aware of the present.

After the Liberty Island incident Logan did leave to ‘find him self’ I guess you would call it that. But what he found didn’t make him any happier about the man he had become today. He told me later on by the mansions lake that he must have been given a second chance when he lost his memories, because the life he led back then was something he is still very ashamed of today. But anyways back to my story line. You see when Logan did return he didn’t tell a soul about his findings up by Alkali Lake. Except for me, and that’s were it all began.

He had been drinking heavily since his return and by doing so he pushed me away which I for one was not going to let happen. I mean it was me the one person he swore he would never give up on no matter what the cost (particularly his life). So I thought it was my right as that one person to know what was going on in his life. I mean it made perfect sense to me then, but now I see the error in my ways.

Logan told me horror stories that people couldn’t even phantom in their dreams. But made all the since to me once I slowly put his scattered puzzle pieces of a memory together and in the end like all mysterious puzzles every thing came into picture, and I figured out what really happened to the Wolverine eighteen years ago. I still shudder at the thought that he could have done those terrible things to all those innocent people….

He was sitting on the park bench by the lake (which quickly became our favorite spot to sit and be) slowly polishing off a case of good old Molson when I had come up to him. He probably new I was coming down the deer worn path about the time I had started walking on it. But I didn’t care so I sat down next to him and picked up a Molson and started drinking with him. I new he liked his privacy and that in the end if he really wanted to he would tell me what was up with him.

He eventually talked to me around the time the sun started setting in the west right over the lake. I listened with great interest but never interrupted; I just listened and sipped my Molson. He talked for well over more than an hour until he stopped and said the three words I thought I would never hear from any person I cared for.

“I love you” and he looked at me with such sincerity I believed every word he said. But I was foolish then unlike now. But I, being stupid back then, said the only thing that came to mind.

“I love you to,” and on that lake during the setting sun I gave all of my self to him. No one had any idea until three months later when Logan asked me to move in with him that we had decided to be together. Not even my two best friends and room mates had any idea that for three months Logan and I had been making love in his room almost every night. Or that most of my stuff had slowly been accumulating in his room since that evening on the lake.

No one except for Jean Grey or Jean Summers which ever you would like to call her. Apparently she couldn’t figure out why Logan had stopped the advances on her and had found more and more of his time occupied with me (when even though she was married to a very handsome, prodigious, and did I mention team leader of the X-men.) So she did a little snooping around and found me slipping from my room into Logan’s every night, and then heard the ever so loud noises of me and Logan’s love making.

But she didn’t say anything. So two weeks later I was moved into Logan’s room and we became the newest (and probably the biggest scandal of the year) couple. But I don’t think the biggest shock came until almost nine months later when right after a terrible battle against the brotherhood (which caused me to obtain some serious leg injuries, which Logan quickly healed, but still hurt) and everyone had gathered in the med lab getting fixed up or helping people get better did Logan do the one thing I believed he would never do. He pulled me up into a sitting position on the med table (me still in my hospital gown) and got down on one knee and confessed his undying love to for forever. I didn’t think I could be any happier than that moment.

Some people stood in shock when Logan pulled out a black velvet box with Tiffanies written across the top in gold looped letters and opened it to reveal a diamond ring I had mentioned wanting in a magazine six months earlier.

It was made out of adamantium created by the second best crafter of that metal in the world and embedded in the precious metal was small diamonds and sapphires incased in jade. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Every piece of the ring had some significance to me in one way or another and I don’t think I had ever cried happy tears before that day. It was all a blur except for when Jean pulled every one out of the reality I was living when she entered the room with some test tubes and dropped them upon seeing Logan on one knee with a ring in his hand. After that every thing seemed like a dream.

The wedding was held the next winter on December 13th by the lake which had frozen over, and Storm made it so that even though it was freezing out side we were all warm. She even made it so that it snowed while we were saying our vows. It was the most beautiful wedding procession I had ever seen. Every one wore black or white even the bride’s maids with fur coats over their dresses and instead of flowers they had white fur gloves. Even the boys pitched in. Bobby made beautiful ice sculptures of swans and Lotus flowers and even one life size version of me and Logan together in our wedding garb. Gambit and Jubilee made it so that once we were officially married that small explosions went off behind us, and Pyro made sure all of the food stayed hot while the wedding was in progress, and Scott cleared away snow with his laser beam eyes, and multiple duplicated himself enough times to be the waiter and some of the other helpers. Everyone put a little help into the wedding.

We had all of the girls be flower girls and the little boys were their escorts. It was the most precious thing anyone had ever seen. Logan and I were so happy then, we went up to Canada for a couple of bliss filled weeks. We never did leave that cabin Logan had built one spring ten years ago. I sigh now thinking of that wonderful moment in time. But like all things it passes with time.

Logan and I had been married a year when things changed for us. We were doing our usual nightly routine of getting ready for bed. I had become an English teacher at the school and had just finished grading last weeks papers and Logan had just finished his finale training class that always seemed to run late because their was just so many people in it when we heard the shouting next door. You see all teachers had a special hall way to themselves, and all of the married teachers stayed in suites next to one another. Scott and Jean Summers lived to the right of us and Peter and Kitty Rasputin lived to our left. Some times both could be loud but that was okay because Logan and I were never quite that quit ourselves.

But it was right after Logan had gotten out of the shower when we heard the commotion to our right. Apparently Jean threw a book at Scott and Scott was screaming at her. But whatever happened (apparently from Logan’s strong hearing) Scott was leaving because Jean wanted him out. So Scott packed his bags and headed out for his sports car in the down stairs garage. Over the years Scott and I had become great friends so I thought it was only natural for me to find him and convince him to come back home and sort things out with the one woman he loved more than life it’s self.

So I pulled on my sweater kissed Logan on the cheek and told him I loved him and would come home as soon as I had convinced Scott to come back. He agreed that that was a great plan and kissed me back and told me he loved me and always would no matter how terrible our fights got. I responded by telling him I new that and would never forget it either.

So that night I followed Scott to a hotel in New York. It was the one he always stayed at when he had to stay over night up state for long periods of time when he was working for the Professor. I followed him to his room and in his room Scott broke down telling me Jean wanted a divorce because their marriage wasn’t going anywhere. It had been five years and they still hadn’t had a child and that Scott was more concerned with the x-men than with her. So we talked for over four hours and by the time we finished talking and I had convinced him to come home it was near three in the morning. So we grabbed his bag and paid for the room and made our way home.

And this is where my story begins. I know it is still kind of in the past but it is where my life had finally changed for the last time I hope. We had come in from the garage and walked quietly up the stairs to the teacher’s hall way on the second floor. All was quite until we reached my room. It sounded like small screams and curiosity got the better of me and I pushed open the door. I should have never opened that door. Because, inside was our lovers were having sex in my bed. So I did the one thing I could do, I shut the door quietly and turned and left the room. Scott was in shock and wanted to run in and break them up.

“Why” I asked him.
“Because, they shouldn’t be doing that in your bed or any bed for that matter! I mean aren’t you going to go do some thing about it?” Scott demanded from me.
“No, it’s pointless to stop something that is already in motion. You should know that, no, Logan and Jean made a decision together to betray us. That is something they are going to have to live with for the rest of their lives.” So I continued my walking to one of the double rooms in the guest hall. That night was the first night I had ever heard Scott cry.

The next morning I told Scott of my plans to leave the school. Knowing he could not simply leave like I could, he decided to stay and be the reminder of what they had decided to do. So I knew Logan had an early morning work out and I didn’t have classes for that day, so I walked into my room which had been cleaned up quite nicely since last night and packed all of my belongings. Leaving my wedding ring on Logan’s night stand. I then had Scott carry my bags to his car and went to the Professor and told him the events that had happened the night before. He told me he understood and would have one of our new interns take over my classes until I decided to return. I thanked him and then bought a one way trip flight to the South. One place I new Logan would never find me. Scott drove me to the air port twenty minutes later because I had to make arrangements with a local hotel for my unscheduled trip. In the car ride Scott and I discussed what we had done that day when we were not in each others company.

“I gave her back the ring, and all I said to her was ‘I hope you’re happy with what ever decisions you make’ and I walked away. I think she read my mind, but I don’t care. I made sure though that I didn’t let out were you were going. But you better keep in touch with me.” Scott told me with a pointed finger and a some what serious grin on his face.

At the air port I gave him a weak smile and loaded on to plane Scott giving me a somber smile and a letter that I was supposed to read on the plane. On the plane I finally felt some what relieved when I sat down in my air plane chair. I put my carry on in the seat next to me and opened the letter Scott gave me. In it I found a small letter with Scott’s e-mail and private cell phone number, which he said in the letter that he was changing because he didn’t want to have any more connection with Jean. I thought that appropriate and then silently thanked him for being my friend through everything. Even when I thought I was being a coward for leaving when I should stay and be with Scott through our terrible ordeal.

I sighed again as I remember and then asked the flight attendant for a crown and coke. The flight was long yet relieving. I let all of my built of emotions wave over me and it is probably the only time I was ever completely happy during that terrible time. As I look back that was also the only time I was able to take a good look at my life and size it up. I concluded that my life in fact has been pretty much a wreck. First my parents basically disown me, I get thrown from a car at fifty miles an hour on a wet, slick, icy road and then I get strapped into a death machine to turn the rest of humanity into mutants. Personally my life is just a saddest place to be.

So when the plane landed, I grabbed my bags and hailed a taxi cab to take me to the Marriott Hotel. The city looked dirty and out worn, but lucky for me the Marriott was further out of town closer to the subbers. This to me was a perfect place to start a new life far away from the chaos I had left behind. The town was just like ever other small town, crisp, clean and just big enough were you could go around and not be noticed by that many people.

When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted with honest hospitality and was taken to my room on floor three. My room was large but small enough to be fitting for me. For I never really liked big places, like the mansion. I placed my bags away and took a bath in the large spa tub that was provided by the hotel. You see I never really spent my pay check that I got every month at Xavier’s. I put it into savings and a little into some investments that Scott said would do me some good in the end. I guess he was right, because I had put a hundred dollars on this one company and I ended up making around 50,000 dollars when I finally pulled out and placed the rest into my other savings account under my aliases name ‘Rebecca Charleston’, I don’t even think Logan knows about my aliases or my 50,000 dollars for that matter. I mean we both had secrets, I just think he ever thought I had any of my own.

I decided that since it was still early that I would call up a real-estate agent that Warn Warrington III (a.k.a. Archangel) had given me. The woman who answered the phone was very polite and more than thrilled to take me house hunting in the morning. I told her briefly what I was looking for and she told me she would ring my hotel in the morning around ten a.m. I believed that to be a time to start shopping for a new home since I was an earlier riser and that would give me time to read the paper and check out some of the neighborhood.

I left my room and walked down to the lobby where I asked the desk clerk were I might be able to find a taxi or a rent a car for that matter. He said if I would wait in the bar he would tell me when a rent a car would be available for me. So I nodded my head in thanks and walked politely to the bar. At the bar a handsome young man was serving drinks.

“What can I get for you today Miss?” he asked me with a sensitive smile, which I returned slyly.

“Crown and Coke please,” and I pulled up a bar stole and sat down place my purse next to me on the bar.

“Strong drink for a lady, but I like your taste” he told me with that grin again. I noticed then that his eyes were a dull blue, unlike Logan’s piercing green ones. But it was his smile that had grabbed my attention from the start. He handed me my drink and me being the only person in the bar at the time, talked to me. It was a light conversation, about the weather, things that were happening on the news, things of that nature.

“The car is here Miss” the desk clerk told me at the entrance of the bar.
“Thank you,” I replied.

The car was a small blue Honda civic, nothing out of the ordinary like the X-jet or Scott’s many sports cars, or even the Professors limousines. It was perfect, even if it was a rent-a-car. I drove around for awhile until I found the small house Warren’s real-estate friend had suggested I look at. It was painted a pale yellow with white trimmings and had a long porch, with rose bushes planted in front of it. Also on the porch there was a white bench swing with another matching chair to its right. From what I could tell, it was the perfect little house I had ever seen. So I decided to call the woman and tell her I would take it immediately, even if I hadn’t looked inside at all.

The woman didn’t believe me when I had told her that I wanted the house. It had been on market for months and everyone who had looked at it had thought it was too small or there were just too many things that needed to be done to it. But I figured it was a nice fixer upper and it would give me something to do that would keep me busy long enough to stop thinking about him.

Two days later I moved my suite cases into the little yellow house, and to my luck it was already fully furnished. Apparently, the old couple who had lived there previously had died together in old age and had one living relative who didn’t want any of the furniture, or anything to do with the little yellow house. I never ventured to ask why but the real-estate woman had said it was family issues. But I didn’t care to me the house was beautiful, perfect and simple. Just the way I wanted my life to be now with out Logan.