“Let’s get this over with.” Marie checked her handgun one last time. She didn’t like to carry, but she could only reach so far. Besides, some things were better done from a distance.

“Why are you in such a hurry, darlin’?” She glared over at Logan dressed in the same camouflage as her. His face dark with paint and his pointy hair covered. He barely resembled the man she knew.

She smiled, “Because Ah want to get away from ya as soon as possible.” she said sweetly.

“Ah, darlin’. You really know how to kill a man’s ego.”

“Good.” she responded curtly. She checked her watch, then lifted her binoculars to her eyes. When she saw the guard changing shift, she swiftly replaced them. “Let’s go.”

As she watched, Logan shifted to all business. His eyes hardened and he cracked his neck. “Ready and willing, darlin’.”

She cracked her neck, an unconscious habit she gained from him and tried not to wince at his smirk. A second later they were swiftly moving across the grounds of the military-like compound. They reached the intended door moment later and after Wolverine destroyed the lock, they moved into the building.

As they reached the end of the hallway, Marie pulled out the handheld that she downloaded the schematics of the building into. Wolverine wrinkled his nose, “You don’t need that, darlin’.”

She didn’t even look up, “Of course Ah do. How else…” She trailed off and looked at him a little sheepishly. “Oh, yeah. Lead on, bloodhound.”

He scowled at her as they moved swiftly down the hallway. “I ain’t a dog, Marie.”

“Coulda fooled meh.” she answered with a snort.

“Look, Marie. It was a long time ago. And…I, well. I’m sorry.”

Marie froze, looking at him disbelievingly. “What?”

He opened his mouth, but a second later a shout rang out and they were barraged with gunfire and other projectiles. They took cover, diving behind large metal pillars. “Later.” he mouthed. She simply watched him for a moment before turning to return fire. With three rapid shots, the gunfire and projectiles ceased. A loud alarm was echoing through the building and she frowned. “Well, shit. We need ta hurry.”

He took a quick sniff, “This way.”

She followed him without question, keeping a vigil at their back. When they were confronted, Wolverines claws made an appearance. He dispatched them quickly, raising his eyebrows at her. She shot him a frown, “Not impressed.”

He shrugged. After once again scenting the air, he led them down another hallway. “Here.”

When he didn’t move she looked at him in confusion. He was frozen and she sighed. “Magneto.”

He revealed himself from behind a corner and gave him charming smile. “Hello, my dear. I’ve not seen you in years.”

She smiled back at him, “And Ah was hoping ta never see ya again.”

“Where are your manners?” he chastised.

She stuck her hands in her front pockets then in the back, “Must have left them in my other pants.”

He frowned, not appreciating her joke. “Why are you here?”

“Ah heard ya have the -best- folk song collection. Ah was hoping ta borrow it.” She heard a snort from Logan and smiled.

Magneto fixed her with a glare. “I do not find you amusing.”

She jerked her head at Logan. “He does.”

“That animal does not matter.”

Marie heard a low growl from Logan and smirked, “He is kinda stupid.”

Magneto tilted his head, “Indeed, my dear.” A second later, she took control of Wolverine’s adamantium frame from Magneto and after extending his claws, sent him flying at ol’ buckethead.

Magneto, surprised, barely managed to move out of the way in time to escape getting impaled. He didn’t see Marie flying right after Wolverine until her fists connected with his jaw, then his nose. Staggering pain hit then blessed darkness as he passed out.

As she stood over him, she beckoned a sliver of metal to her hand. But before she could plunge it into Magneto’s heart, her wrist was gripped tightly. She glared up at Logan, “What are ya doin’?”

“You can’t darlin’.”

“Why the hell not?”

“Chuck wouldn’t want you to.”

“Like Ah care!” Nonetheless, she dropped her weapon. She whirled in the direction he indicated earlier and stalked away. She stopped after a few steps and turned back. “It’s because of him, everything! If he hadn’t been trackin’ meh we would have never ended up at the mansion. Ya would have dropped meh at the next town and Ah never would have seen you again. Ya wouldn’t be in my head. -He- wouldn’t be in my head!” She held in a frustrated scream and clenched her jaw. “Ah hate him.” she said softly.

He walked over to her and cupped her face in his hands. “I know the feeling. Let’s get out of here, then I’ll let you scream all you want.”

Barely holding back a grateful smile, she pushed away from him. “Don’t do meh any favors.”

She thought she heard him sigh, and after checking Magneto, he strode over to the door. Extending his claws, he shredded the lock and pulled the door open. Marie followed, checking the hallway. When she saw three coming to them from the left and five from the right, she cursed. “Can we hurry this up a bit?”

When he emerged, she looked at them in shock. “Scott?” He looked terrible. He was barely able to stand, leaning heavily on Logan. He was covered in bruises and lacerations. What looked like burns covered his upper torso and there were several punctures in the back of his right hand. The worst part though, was his eyes. They were stitched shut with what looked like black string.

“Rogue?” he said weakly.

“Yeah. It’s me.” She touched the side of his face and felt a strong fever running through his system. She worriedly looked at Logan.

“I know.” he said softly. “Let’s get out of here first, then we can make sure he gets better.”

She took a step back, “Ya ready?” He nodded and turning her head, caught sight of Magneto. “Still think Ah shouldn’t kill Rusty over there?” she asked seriously. Logan looked down, his jaw ticking.

A soft whisper barely reached their ears. “Wasn’t…. Magneto.” Her eyes met his in confusion and he shrugged. “Home.” Scott managed to get out.

“Yeah, buddy. We’ll get you home.”

Marie smiled and lifted off the ground as the men reached them. He returned the smile, “Let’s get out of here, darlin’.”