Author's Chapter Notes:
I have no clue where my story ideas come from. A lot of them are depressing, but I like them. Hope you do too.
The first time she killed someone for money , she was surprised at her lack of emotion. But she figured when it’s hard to care when you don’t have a heart. She had lost it a while back to someone who couldn’t have cared less about her. Logan.

Marie had been used to all the women he brought home. Meaningless fucks that only lasted the night. But when he called her to tell her that he was bringing home his fiancée, she was gone before he got there. It was different when he didn’t care about them, but when he wanted her to meet the woman he loved, loved, there was no way she was going to stick around for that.

She spent months on the road, trying to forget. The anger ate at her, leaving nothing but the rage. She found herself wasting away, without a purpose. Until one day after a bar fight, she was approached by a man. He offered an opportunity and she found herself unable to turn it down.

The life of an assassin was not a nice one. She was constantly on the move, never having the chance to put down roots. While it wasn’t a priority for her in the beginning, four years of living her life was wearing on her. After making sure that there wouldn’t be a hit put on her for quitting, she left the life and settled back on her considerable pension.

But soon she found herself bored. Relationships were a waste of time for her, she was unable to bear the touch of a man. She worked out her sexual frustration through fighting and it was enough. She still did not know the touch of a man at 27 and was planning on keeping it that way. There were plenty interested but she just didn’t care.

The men never forced the issue, she emanated danger. The funny thing was, it wasn’t her skin that made her deadly. Control over her skin hadn’t been an issue since she stopped caring. It was ironic that when she didn’t care, her skin gave up.

Waking up one morning to find the usual buzz that accompanied her mutation gone, she realized that her skin was off. She spent an hour concentrating and was able to turn it on, and then back off. After a smirk at her accomplishment she went on with her day.

When her boredom came to a fore, she found herself once again looking for work. She found it in the life of a mercenary. It was perfect for her, she was called to be offered a job and she could turn it down if she wished.

It was how she found herself on the grounds of the Xavier mansion once again. A raid to extract a prisoner. She absently wondered when Charles started keeping prisoners, but shrugged, her only priority was the extraction.

She waited silently with three of her fellow mercs, anticipating the order to move. When it came, she moved from the cover of the trees and moved across the grounds. When all were gathered, ten in all, they separately moved to the pre-assigned entrance sites. Marie was on point, her powers making her the best for the job.

The powers she absorbed from Carol Marvel had upped her asking price by close to a million. Most thought her worth the price tag. She didn’t hide the fact that she was a mutant, and found it didn’t matter what you were when the person you were hired by just wanted you to kill someone. Her ideal life. She couldn’t hide the fact that she was a mutant, so instead, she exploited the fact that she was.

As she entered the mansion, she gave a idle thought about how it hadn’t changed at all, but then focused on the mission. The prisoner was in the lower levels of the mansion, a difficult extraction, but that was why she was paid the big bucks. Her job was to get the prisoner out using her knowledge of the layout of the lower levels.

Her knowledge wasn’t reliable, but what she didn’t know, her strength could more than make up for. They quickly made their way through the mansion, using the tranquilizers the client had asked for. It was late so not many were awake, but it was how they hoped it would be. Only a few stood in the way but they were quickly taken out. When they reached the elevator, Marie got on. From then on, she was alone.

She keyed in the code she suspected still worked and let out a short laugh when the elevator closed and moved down. When the elevator moved to the floor she hoped the prisoner was on, her nose caught a scent she hadn’t smelled in years. An evil smile crossed her face as she stepped out of the elevator.


Logan was making the rounds when a familiar scent hit his nose. “Marie?” He shook his head, not trusting his nose. But when he rounded the corner, a fist hit him with such power he flew back a few feet, landing on his back. Quickly regaining his feet, he released his claws and dropped into his fighting stance. A soft laugh caught him off guard as he got the first sight of his attacker.

“Ah, sugah. It’s nice to know you haven’t lost your edge. Never thought I’d get the drop on you though.” A figure in black stepped from the shadows and stood before him. Her face was covered with camouflage paint and her hair was covered in black. Even under the paint and clothes he still recognized her.

“Marie? What the hell-”

“Shut it, Logan. I’m not here to catch up.”

He growled at her tone, “Why are you here then?”

She smiled, revealing white teeth. “You have someone Ah need.”

“What?”

“Charlie’s prisoner, Wolvie.”

“How the hell do you know about him?”

“It mah job.”

“Just what is your job?” He asked, his body once again settling into it’s fighting stance.

“This time? Extraction.”

“This time? What that mean?”

“I’ve had many jobs Logan.”

“What kind of jobs?”

Marie sighed, “Figure it out, Logan.”

He growled and he released his claws. “Not gonna happen.”

She laughed, “I wouldn’t bet on it, sugah. I thought that maybe you would be here, so I came prepared.” She pulled out a gun from her belt holster and smiled at him.

“You know that won’t work on me, Marie.”

Her smile got bigger, “I’m pretty sure it will.” With that, she shot him faster than he thought she could possibly move. When his head almost immediately got fuzzy, she cocked her head to the side and watched him as he fell to the floor. She sauntered over and looked at him. He blinked rapidly, trying to clear his head and focus on her. “Elephant tranks. Fast acting.” She dropped the gun beside him and straddled his body. “Know this, Logan. If it were up to me, you would be dead. My employer didn’t want that, so you’re lucky. Just hope I never see you again. All bets are off if that happens.”

She leaned forward and placed a hard kiss to his lips. After standing, she pulled a mini-disk from one of her pockets and dropped it to his chest. “Don’t say I never did anything for ya.” With that, she walked away. His last thought before completely losing consciousness was there was no familiar pull when their skin touched.