Author's Chapter Notes:
Let's bring the family back together, shall we?
There was nothing around her, no objects to touch or even a ground to collapse on. There was only the whiteness. She knew she was dying, if not already dead. What else could such a cold place mean? But there was no shining light to guide her, only the coldness. Silently she swore under her breath that her years with the X-Men had not made up for all her evil deeds. That she had just died to save humanity and it didn’t matter because she was still going to hell.

She began to float around in the empty abyss, slightly annoyed that no one had come to her yet and at least have the decency to point to her the way. As if by cue she felt the familiar prick on the back of her neck, the undeniable signal that someone was behind her. Quickly she turned around and instead of Satan himself found Jean, the outline of the Phoenix proud and strong glowing around her.

“Phoenix!” Rogue yelled and quickly moved to her and embraced her tightly, fighting back the tears. The other woman smiled and warmly returned the embrace.

Rogue pulled back and searched the Phoenix’s memorizing eyes for a minute before speaking up. “Are… are you dead?”

Phoenix gave what she hoped was a reassuring smile and took one of her hands in her own and gently squeezed it, “No, Rogue. I’m not dead.”

She nodded and then asked the question she was not sure she actually wanted an answer to, “Am ah dead?”

“No, you’re not dead,” the smile left her face but she kept a firm grip on the younger girl’s hand, “But you *are* pushing the envelope, honey. That’s why I’m here to help.”

Rogue nodded her thanks and looked around once again to the bleak colorless void that surrounded them. She wanted to laugh at it, mock it, because now she had the Phoenix on her side, the most powerful mutant in the world. She almost dared the bleakness to take her now.

“Storm,” Rogue suddenly realized. Phoenix had found her; surely she could find Storm too. “Ah saw her spirit leave her body, too. We have ta find her before its too late!”

Phoenix squeezed her hand again, now an instant calming effect on her, “*I* will worry about Storm. You have someone else to worry about.”

All the color flooded from her face, making her almost blend in with the hopeless surroundings. In all of the pain and dying she had not had one thought toward him. And now Phoenix had all but confirmed that he was here too, in the nothingness. Her heart ached as she clenched her eyes tightly shut and whispered his name, “Gambit.”




***************(Back in the Real World)*******************



The doctors finally were forced to hook the remaining X-Man to a breathing machine, although they all knew he wasn’t going to make it. They had not been able to stop the bleeding in his side and a few minutes more and he would quietly bleed to death.

Everyone stopped their attempts to save his life, however, to watch the slow materialization of four people in a puff of smoke into the middle of the unit, knocking one nurse into a tray full of blood-soaked rags. Two of the men were blue, one extremely large and ferocious looking, one much more elfin. A woman with flaming hair and another man stood beside them, none looking too worse for ware.

“Jean! Oh thank God!” Scott cried out at the sight of his wife and tightly embraced her, burying his face in her hair.

“Hey, this isn’t mutie central in here!” One of the doctors sneers at them, “Would someone please call the fucking MPs?”

Claws from the third man in the group came out, stopping just at the doctor’s throat. “Hey, bub,” the man snarled, “I got a real problem with the word *mutie*.”

The doctor nervously swallowed, although the look of distain never left his wrinkled brow line. The governor pulled the doctor away by his shoulder and told him that he vouch for them to be there.

“If anyone is going to save their lives, it will be probably be them,” he added solemnly.

Beast nodded at him before pulling out his bifocals from his breast pocket. He studied them to assure they were not damaged in the fight before sliding them onto his face and into the lush blue hair. “I do believe Gambit is in need of my help the most,” He instructed the others and makes his way over to the far end of the tent.

Logan studied the couple to his right for a few minutes. He watched as they desperately ran their hands along the other checking for anything and just assuring that life was indeed intact in the one they needed most. When he felt he could no longer handle the pain he was inflicting upon himself he mumbled that he was going to go check on Storm. Scott was too distracted to warn him of what happened just a few moments ago. His mistake became obvious to all when the enraged roar shook the shaky structure of the tent.



******************(The Land of Souls)********************



Phoenix hummed softly as she floated into the rose colored spirit world she felt she knew so well. A slow grin spread to her face at the sight just in front of her. Ororo sat in the grass in front of a beautiful cottage in a long flowing pink satin gown. A snow white dove rested on both her hands as two white tigers lay contently at her feet.

The other woman did not look up at her as she approached, merely continued to ‘coo’ at her doves. “You should not have known where I was, Jean. This is my soul, not yours.” Her voice was soft and teasing and an elegant smile graced her face.

Phoenix crossed her arms over her chest and studied the surrounds a bit closer. She marveled at the deep blue hue of the grass and the gentle flowing of orange and pink in the sky. “Mine should look…this wonderful,” she answered her. She moved to sit beside her on the soft grass and tenderly petted one of the elegant tigers, who purred in thanks.

“I’m sorry I have not invited you sooner, my friend,” the goddess apologized.

Phoenix shook it off though, “It is your sanctuary. But I am afraid I am not here for pleasure. I came to bring you back.”

Storm nodded and stood on her feet then helped pull Phoenix up too. The telepath asked her if she was sure she was really okay before they headed back and Storm assured her that she was fine.

“I’m just worried about Gambit,” she added, looking off into the distance, her eyes focusing far beyond her realm of tranquility.