Author's Chapter Notes:
Feedback is always appreciated!
Charles glanced out the window at the foliage and sighed. It had been nearly four months since the team had returned from Glenview with the news that they had invited Rogue back and she’d been unwilling to make a commitment. Bobby had looked extremely uncomfortable that day in his office, the guilt and anger rolling off him enough to choke any telepath and Charles had wondered about it but hadn’t asked.

He had hoped that Marie would return if for no other reason than to visit. He knew she loved being with Logan, loved being in the safety of his presence and yet he feared that she was getting too attached to the brawling wanderer. Logan wasn’t the most stable of people, he was dangerous and unrealistic at times and couldn’t stay still for long.

Hearing the sound of a diesel engine he shifted and frowned, his gaze settling out the window on the one ton crew cab pulling into the driveway and rolling toward the front door. With a flick of the switch he headed for the front door even as the bell peeled and he had to admit that he had butterflies, silently he watched as Storm moved toward the door and opened it.

“Hello,” Storm’s shocked tone had him hurrying along a little even as the platinum haired woman stepped back and a tow headed little girl dived through the opening hurrying into the foyer, her booted feet rushing across the floor, long dark hair flying in all directions behind her.

“Emily Marie!” Rogue’s voice was stern but filled with love and had the girl halting in her tracks.

“Rogue, it’s a pleasant surprise to see you,” Charles smiled at Storms words.

“Its Marie,” came the quick response as the girl in question walked into the foyer followed closely by Logan who was carrying several suitcases and a large checkered bag that resembled a baby’s diaper bag.

“Hello Logan,” Storm greeted the tall man easily.

“Hey Storm, hows it blowing these days?” Logan’s easy innuendo had Charles grinning and Storm flushing as he lifted her into a tight hug before setting her back down.

“Marie, what a pleasant surprise. I see you brought Logan and..” Charles glanced at the girl who was studying him carefully.

“Yeah, we had to make arrangements for the care of our place before we could come for a visit. Figured we’d come down for a couple of weeks,” Marie smiled as footsteps echoed in the house and a moment later Kitty exploded into the foyer.

“MARIE!” Rushing toward her, Kitty hugged Marie tightly, pulling back slightly and frowning when she realized that Marie had put on more weight. “You getting fat?”

Laughing Marie shook her head and glanced at Logan who looked smugly back at her, “Nope. Its called pregnancy Kitty.”

Storm glanced sharply at Charles, the one word echoing amongst those in the foyer.

“Logan! Rogue, what a pleasant surprise,” Jean’s voice had Marie glancing at Logan with a suffering expression. “You back to stay?”

“No,” Logan grunted as Scott appeared behind Jean. “Only staying a couple weeks. Oh and Chuck, Doc might be teleporting back and forth a few times, with Marie’s due date only a few weeks off she wanted to be sure that there were no problems.”

“Sure,” Charles glanced at Marie who was cradling her belly even as the little girl climbed into his lap, grabbed his face and stared into his eyes for a moment.

“Daddy - he’s like doc,” the little girl said patting his cheek none too gently.

“Yes baby, he’s telepathic.”

“What about me?”

“You’re special darlin’ sorta like Mommy, sorta like me, but all you.”

“Mmph, I wanna be able to read people.”

“For a kid that couldn’t say more’n a few words a few months ago her language skills sure improved,” Logan grunted at Marie under his breath.

“Could be the fact that you’ve been reading the dictionary to her.”

“Hey that’s the only book in the house that I don’t wanna shred. I mean who wants to read about green eggs and ham?” Logan protested easily a shudder racing through him at the mention of the well known children’s books..

“Precisely,” Marie replied and hurried toward her daughter. “Ems come on, get down. Its not polite to go climbing over people.”

“I do it to Daddy,” the girl protested with a petulant look.

“Yeah well Daddy’s special.”

“Why?” the girl asked seriously.

With a straight face Marie looked at Logan, “Cause Daddy’s our own private jungle gym.”

Rolling his eyes, struggling not to laugh Logan pulled out a cigar, “Don’t let that slip too much there baby, otherwise everyone’s gonna wanna turn.”

“Uh I imagine you must be wanting to know where you’re going to sleep?” Charles said softly.

“My old room still open?” Logan asked with a dark scowl before softening his expression when his gaze settled on Rogue and Emily.

“Yes it is,” Charles replied. “But it hasn’t been used in a while..”

“No problem, we’ll stay there its big enough for all of us.”

“Okay.”

Watching the small group start up the stairs, the little girl making short work of the steps Charles glanced at the group of senior and junior team members. Shock, disbelief, unease, and happiness were all in attendance but Charles wondered how Bobby was going to react to the fact that Rogue no wait - Marie had returned with a toddler, another baby on the way, and Logan hot on her heels.



Word travels fast at the mansion, Logan and Marie both knew it so it wasn’t a huge surprise to have the door to their room opening more often then it was closed. Kids that had known Rogue stopped in to say high, Jubilee had come in and stayed for over two hours, and now the door was opening to admit Bobby Drake.

With a glance at Marie, Logan raised one eyebrow for a moment then turned back to the hockey game he was watching.

“Hey, hows it going?” Bobby asked glaring at Logan.

“Going well,” Marie replied from where she was curled up against Logan watching Ems sleeping and listening to Logan’s heart beating.

“So you want to join us for a game of foosball or something?”

“No thank you Bobby, I’m just gonna lay here and probably have a nap,” Marie said softly and smiled at Logan. “Logan you wanna go?”

“Sure, don’t forget the games taping.”

“Logan!” Marie laughed as he slid off the bed and headed for the door. “Have fun.”

“Get some sleep, you need it,” Logan whispered softly before kissing her and heading out the door.

“You tellin’ her when to sleep now?” Bobby asked silkily, a thinly veiled threat running through his tone.

“You got a problem with me don’t ya?” Logan shot back. “I ain’t blind, or stupid contrary to what you might think. The girl you knew doesn’t exist.”

“No, she’s been around you too long.”

Logan froze and growled, his anger rising quickly. “You don’t even know her. You stand there and you say this and that, act like you have a right to want her when you don’t. I realize you don’t like me bub, hell the feeling is entirely mutual but I will not allow you to hurt her. Not now, not ever. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“Yeah I get it. Rogue is yours..”

“Her name is Marie - use it bub,” Logan snarled his claws starting to come out. “Rogue is dead.” Turning on one booted heel he headed for the lower common room, maybe Scooter was watching the game.

Swallowing against the urge to freeze Logan’s ass in its tracks, Bobby shook his head. A few days back and Rogue would be back with him. Once she realized what she could have as opposed to what she did have and she’d dump Logan’s smelly ass!




After a week Bobby was growing more and more furious, Marie and Logan spent most of their time with the little girl they’d brought with them. Marie often spent hours sitting talking with the girls, she was even nice to him but it wasn’t the same and he was slowly starting to realize that everyone was right. She wasn’t interested in him anymore, if she ever really had been.

For Charles watching her he was unsure when she’d snap. He could sense the stress and unease she was mired with, and had often woken in the night to the feeling of undiluted terror from her but it wasn’t until one of the new kids Marie hadn’t met walked into a room wearing camouflage clothes that something snapped.


He watched her all but run from the room, her face pale, her body wracked by tremors, and a look of undiluted terror in her eyes. Knowing Logan was in their suite with Emily, Charles wondered if Marie would go there and followed more slowly.


Logan glanced sharply at the door as it banged open and Marie stumbled in; panic and fear rolling off her in waves. “What’s wrong?” he demanded angrily rising from where he’d been sitting watching Emily sleeping.

“Uniform,” Marie gasped her heart pounding, her eyes glazing over in terror even as she began rubbing at her wrists.

Noting the tremor in her hands, Logan moved over and pulled her against him, “Baby you’re safe. I’ve got you now, ain’t about to let anyone hurt you!”

“Oh God Logan I can’t breathe,” Marie gasped her breath coming in huge gulping gasps. Her head was swimming and she could feel the ropes tightening on her wrists, taste the cotton in her mouth and she trembled uncontrollably.

“Shh, I’ve got you now baby. You know you don’t have to be afraid with me. Come on, slow your breathing down. Just hang onto me and we’ll get through this.”

“Logan I can feel it all over again, I mean he was just a kid walking into the room and..” Marie gasped sobbing as she clung to him.

“I know, I know. Its all part of healing baby. You’re safe, you’re gonna be okay. I won’t let you down,” Logan whispered over and over again. “Come on, just lay down, hold onto the baby and breath.”

Rocking her carefully Logan moved with her to the bed and got her to lay down before he reached for the phone. Dialing the familiar number he waited for the phone to be picked up his gaze on his girl, his hand on her hair smoothing it out.

“Doc here,” the familiar voice came over the phone and Logan sighed softly.

Relief flooding him Logan sucked in a breath, “Doc we got a situation.”

“I’m on my way Logan, just keep her as calm as is possible. She gets too overwrought she may go into early labor.”

“Okay, I’ll see you in a few,” Logan said hanging up the phone and laying down curled around Marie. “Baby, its okay. Doc’s coming, but I’m right here. I ain’t gonna let you go baby, nobody will ever hurt you again.”

“Logan please don’t let go,” Marie whimpered softly, her body curling into a fetal position even as she listened to her daughter’s even breathing and Logan’s low soothing voice whispering promises in her ear.

“I won’t baby, I won’t ever let you go.”

“Hey you two,” Doc’s familiar voice had both of them glancing at the woman standing at the end of the bed. “Logan, could you please take Emily to another room to sleep. I need to examine Marie.”

“No, no please don’t leave me,” Marie panicked until Doc touched her knee.

“Marie, listen to me. Logan isn’t leaving you alone. He’s gonna make sure Emily is safe, in case we need to deliver this baby or something. You don’t wanna wake her up do you?”

Marie shook her head firmly and stared at Logan who smiled painfully, “Promise you’ll come back.”

“Baby I’ll be back before you know it.”

With a smile Marie watched him lift his daughter into his arms and carry her out of the room and head for Jean and Scott’s room down the hall. It was closer than Storm’s and he could still hear her if she woke up.

“Logan?” Charles’s spotted the other man a moment before he sensed another presence in Logan and Marie’s room. “Is everything okay?”

“No,” Logan grunted opening Scott’s bedroom door and stepping inside with Emily’s sleeping frame. Putting her on the bed, he left the room leaving the door slightly ajar and stopped. Charles sat in his path watching him carefully. “What?”

“We need to talk,” Charles said as Logan edged past him.

“Right now, my main concern in Marie.”

“As is mine.”

“Well then get outta my way,” Logan snarled as Jean and Scott approached.

“What are you doing in my room?” Scott demanded angrily.

“Relax Scooter, just putting Ems in there. She’s sleeping and we don’t need her awake and asking why Doc’s here looking at her mom,” Logan snapped and headed back for his room at a fast walk. Stepping inside he growled as Doc put the used syringe into the tin she used to dispose of them and glanced at him.

Raising one eyebrow he glanced at Marie who lay pale and shaken on the bed, her eyes closed even as Doc spread a blanket over her still frame and straightened. Grabbing a hold of the woman’s arm, Logan dragged her into the hall and stared at her a furious look on his face.

“Well?”

“I sedated her,” Doc said ignoring the trio hurrying toward them. “She’ll probably sleep for a while.”

“The baby?”

“I think it might be an idea to consider the possibility of an emergency c-section Logan,” Doc said then hurriedly continued when it looked like he was getting set to gut someone. “She’s two weeks from her due date Logan, and she’s already starting to dilate. I gave her a drug to help ease off on the contractions but it’s not going to work for long. Whatever set her off opened a whole flood of memories, of sensations she doesn’t want to remember..”

“It was a uniform,” Logan grunted. “Are you sure? I mean maybe we should just head home..”

“No, she can’t be moved Logan. I think if we move her she’s going to go into distress which may cause the baby to follow suit. While having the baby this early wouldn’t hurt anything, it may have far reaching effects on Marie.”

“So we’re stuck here?”

“I’m afraid so,” Doc sighed. “I’ll be back later to check on her, try to keep her as quiet as possible. Reinforce the positives, get her focused on Emily, you, try not to let her dwell too much on the past.”

“You wanna tell me how I’m supposed to do that?”

Doc sighed glancing at the floor then at the trio who were watching them carefully, “I think for her sake we need to get her home. If she stays here its going to push her too far, too fast into the murky areas of her memories. She needs to feel secure, safe.”

“But you said..”

“I said she can’t be moved. She can’t,” Doc sighed softly. “Which is why I think it might be an idea for both Marie and the baby to do an emergency c-section and then we can transport her back to Glenview Clinic.”

“How long would it take?”

“She’d be out for a few hours, a day at the most. Since she’s absorbed so much of your healing ability its highly unlikely that her system would allow her to remain sedated for extended periods of time.”

“Would it have any lasting effects? Would she suffer because of it?”


“No, Logan. Marie will be fine and so will the baby. Look think it over, I’ll be back after supper to check on her. Have your decision made by then okay?”

“I will.”



An hour later Logan was sitting in Charles’s office surrounded by Scott, Jean, and a concerned Storm. Staring at Chuck across his desk he waited for the other man to say something, after all it wasn’t his meeting - it was their’s.

“Can you explain what happened today?”

“Yep,” Logan said quickly taking a long drag of his cigar ignoring the disgruntled, disgusted looks from Storm, Scott, and Charles.

“Are you planning on it?”

“No,” Logan replied quickly glancing at Scott with thinly veiled anger. “I see no reason to air our dirty laundry in front of everyone.”

“Marie’s safety and well being is paramount. We only want to help..” Charles started.

“Why? What do you get out of helping her, huh? Another notch on your halo?” Logan could feel the anger building.

“Its merely a choice Logan of you telling me or I can go for a walk through her mind,” Charles started.

“Do it, and I will shred you so fast you’ll think you’ve always been in pieces,” Logan said softly, his tone filled with banked violence.

“Logan, we’re only trying to make sense of this situation,” Storm said softly, soothingly.

“Yeah Logan, you’ve kept her hidden in the bowels of some frozen hell hole for three years. We’re just trying to catch up,” Scott snarled angrily, his face what could be seen at least, was filled with bitter disgust.

Nodding Logan rose and paced to the window, it wasn’t his place to tell them. Really it was up to Marie to let them know what happened but if it meant the difference between being left alone and having Jean camped out in their bedroom for the remainder of their stay..

“Logan?” Charles prodded.


“They didn’t take her to a lab,” Logan muttered angrily memories stirring, making his short fuse even shorter. “Which is not to say they didn’t plan to, it just wasn’t a priority.”

“What do you mean?” Jean asked noting Charles’s paler and Logan’s tense shoulders.

“It took me two days to find them, she wasn’t in good shape when I found her. She had no desire to come back here. Flat out refused,” Logan sighed and glanced at them. “Do you realize that it was nearly four months before I could leave the house without locking every single knife up? We didn’t have glass dishes either, plastic or paper.”

“How many times did you stop her?” Charles asked softly.

“Eight, the last time was a week before..” Logan flushed slightly, “Before our mutual decision to engage in a free for all romp - the first of a great many in hopes of her feeling normal.”

“Emily is.?”

“Mine,” Logan glanced at the Professor uneasily. “Neither of us were really thinking when we stopped sleeping in separate beds. Contraception was the furthest thing from her mind - regaining control was.”

“And has she?”

Logan stared out the window for a few minutes of silence, his mind twisting around the events of the past few hours. He wasn’t so sure anymore that either of them had mastered it. “You remember when she was a kid, waking up to the nightmares? The screams?”

“Yes,” Jean replied softly.

“The first year we lived together her nightmares were so bad that when she had one of mine she was actually glad to have it. There are certain things you don’t do around Marie, and wearing camouflage is one of them. Doc is going to do an emergency c-section and then we’re going home.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea. I mean we can..”

“You can do shit Jean,” Logan whirled to face her banked fury in his features. “All you do is remind her of what she’s struggling to forget. What she doesn’t want to remember. And frankly Ice Prick isn’t helping with his little attitude problem towards me.”

“Bobby loves Rogue..”

“Rogue is dead!” Logan snarled. “God how many times do you have to be told? Marie distanced herself from Rogue a long, long time ago. What happened happened to Rogue, not Marie and in that she’s been able to regain some sense of normalcy, some sense of worth and cleanliness. None of you understand that, it was a mistake to come here.”


“We can help her forget,” Charles suggested.

“Forget what? The fact that you hate her husband? Or maybe the fact that she’s got two kids by the psychopath you figure needs to keep his distance? Or maybe she’s supposed to forget the fact that you couldn’t find her when they had her!”

“Logan that is hardly fair..”

“Fair has nothing to do with it. You don’t hear the screams, or remember the bruises and burns, the cuts into her flesh. You’ve never woken up with something sticking out of your chest because she’s been mired so deeply in her nightmare that she hasn’t woken up until it was too late. You don’t live with the guilt and anger every single day of knowing that what happened.. You don’t even see what’s right in front of you,” Logan snarled as he stalked toward the door. “No, we are leaving. We are going home as soon as Doc says we can.”

“Logan Marie needs a chance to heal..”

“She was doing just fine without any of you. We were both doing just fine without you,” Logan snapped only to tense a split second before the room seemed to grow too small and Doc appeared.

“Logan, I’ve been looking for you.”

“Yeah well I ain’t been anywhere,” Logan grunted at the woman.

With a slight smile filled with understanding Doc nodded, “I talked to Gerico, she says I should be able to teleport with Marie back to the clinic. I think if she’s there she might relax, which in turn will ease the burden on her body. Reduce the strain on both her and the baby.”

“Gerico said it would be safe?” Logan frowned at the mention of the specialist that Doc employed to help with Marie’s pregnancies. The other woman was as old as the hills and knew how to work around the girl’s mutation so Rogue didn’t feel like some sort of pariah during the delivery.

“As safe as staying here,” Doc shrugged. “Its your choice Logan. Marie is still sleeping, the baby’s heartbeat and mental state is calm and normal.”

“Is what happened today going to set her back?” Logan demanded quickly a frown darkening his face.

Doc looked at him steadily, “No more than the actual rapes Logan. Proximity.”

“Yeah, proximity,” Logan sighed raking a hand through his hair, “Do it. Emily and I will get ready and head up there right after dinner.”

Doc nodded seriously, “You sure you don’t want me to just teleport you?”

“Got the truck. We can’t do a whole lot back home without it.”

“Of course, I could send Smoke down to help..”

“Naw, just let Marie know we are coming home and I’ll see her in about a week.”

“Will do,” Doc said softly. “Are you okay?”

“Getting there,” Logan replied.

“Well you’re the one that’s gonna have to deal with the fresh onslaught of nightmares. Better be sure the scissors and shit are put away before you go to bed,” Doc said a second before she disappeared.

“Yeah, yeah. Lock up anything sharp, and hope to hell that she don’t start sleepwalking again,” without looking at the small group in the room, Logan stalked out the door slamming it hard enough to make Jean jump and Scott scowl.

“Professor?” Jean glanced at him, “Did she say rapes?”

“She did,” Charles said sighing and closing his eyes, his mind wandering slightly as he searched out Rogue and slipped into her head, unnoticed, uninvited. Feeling his body ache with the images from her mind, he gripped his chair with hands that went white with the force of his grasp.

His mind bombarded by images that no one should have to have flashing in their head, he jerked out of her mind and sat his chest heaving from the exertion as he stared at those in the room.

“Professor?” Scott’s steady voice had him glancing at the younger man.

“Let them go,” Charles whispered painfully. “For both their sakes, let them go.”

“What did you see?” Jean asked softly noting the slight tremble in Charles’s fingers and the waves of horror emanating off him.

“Something that I had no business seeing,” Charles replied stiffly. “What those two men did to her wasn’t even human, for their mental health I think it would be best to let them have their space.”

“But Professor he’s..” Scott protested.

“The only one who can save her,” Charles said rolling to stare out the window. “Logan’s the only link Marie has to sanity, him and the kids. We take one away we have to compensate - and we have nothing that will allow us to do that. Logan understand what she’s going through.”

“How is that possible? How could he understand what its like to be raped.”


“Think about it Jean,” Charles said quietly. “Logan’s mind was violated with those experiments, you can’t call it anything but rape. With that experience comes awareness, understanding for both him and Rogue. It’s the one thing that is a constant between them other then their emotional connection. None of us have ever suffered that indignity, and have no idea how to offer any assistance. Give them a year or two then we’ll see how things are going.”

“If you’re sure Professor,” Storm said softly, acknowledging the man’s intelligence with a graceful smile.

“I’m certain this is best,” Charles replied even as the door opened under a knock and Bobby Drake stepped into the room.

“Sorry to bother you but has anyone seen..”

“She’s gone,” Charles said softly. “Her doctor came and got her.”

“Why?”

“Because its best.”

“Because he said so?” Bobby’s voice contained hurt and anger.

“No,” Charles glanced at him. “Because we can’t handle the situation. We’ve never had to deal with what they’re living with. I realize you care for her Bobby, but you have to let go of her and move on. She isn’t the girl you remember, not even close.”

“But..”

“Let it go,” Charles said softly and glanced at him for a second.

With a quiet sigh Bobby nodded and stepped back out of the room, closing the door quietly and heading for the staircase. He was going to talk to Logan, after all he was to blame.


Opening the bedroom door without knocking Bobby froze his gaze on the burly man kneeling before the little girl who was currently holding a rag doll and looking for all intents and purposes like a miniature Rogue.

“Something you wanted Drake?” Logan’s growl had him glancing at the other man.

“Heard Rogue left,” Bobby said slowly.

“Yeah, Marie left. Doc took her back to the clinic.”

“I really don’t like you,” Bobby ground out at Logan’s laughter.


“That why you came up here? To tell me that?” Turning Logan stared at him, “If so it was a wasted trip.”

“You hurt her and I’ll..”

“I would never hurt her,” Logan ground out as Emily raced out of the room with a smile at him. “That’s something you should know by now, after all I’ve never let her down before.”

“What do you call letting the lab men get her?”

“Same as what I call what happened at the Statue of Liberty. A slight fuck up that got fixed,” Jerking the last suitcase off the bed Logan stared at Bobby for a second, “You loved a girl. Marie isn’t a girl anymore. She hasn’t been one for a very long time Drake, and she’s mine from the moment that I stabbed her and she touched me.”

Standing stiffly as Logan disappeared Bobby sighed glancing around the bedroom. Yeah, Logan was right. Marie had never really been his, deep down she’d always belonged to Logan and he knew it.

The faint sounds of a diesel engine firing up had Bobby tensing for a second before the sounds dissipated on the afternoon air and with a faint frown, Bobby closed the bedroom door and headed for the cafeteria.



Epilogue

One Year Later.

“Logan!” Marie called from the kitchen, hoping he could hear her above the jukebox as she stared at the messy scrawl that could only be Logan’s shorthand on a slip of paper before her.

“Yeah babe?” Logan’s voice curled around her even as his arms pulled her back into his body.

“What does this say?” She held up the order form. “I can’t ready it.”

“That’s cause its upside down,” Logan whispered biting her ear gently before kissing her shoulder and retreating to the floor.

With a frown Marie flipped it over and smiled. Written in the scrolling scribble of calligraphy were the familiar words she heard a thousand times a day, “I love you to!” she called out the open window.

The sexy smirk she got in retaliation made her grin even as the wolf whistles, catcalls and laughter from the bar’s occupants had Logan bowing to the crowd.


Shaking her head she went back to work, her mind wandering slightly. It had been a long, hard year for her. After the return from Westchester, they had spent a great deal of time dealing with the fresh onslaught of nightmares. Some nights were so bad that Marie had inflicted wounds on herself - although the night she’d stabbed Logan had been the hardest for her.

She’d woken from a bad nightmare that just seemed to get worse and worse only to find her hand clutching a pair of scissors that had been accidently left out buried to the hilt in Logan’s chest. Terror had driven her from bed and she’d spent two nights on the couch before he’d dragged her back to their bed. After that, all sharp, potentially dangerous objects were counted then locked up at night, but the guilt clung to her.

“Mommy?” Emily’s voice had her glancing at their daughter with a smile.

“Yeah baby.”

“Garret is awake,” the young girl said softly a frown marring her young features. “Sitting up in his crib.”

Hiding her frown, Marie studied her daughter, she’d inherited her father’s mutation and was developing one of her own something that was apparent even at the age of four. “Thanks baby, why don’t you go play with Danny’s niece, and the other kids.”

“Yes Mommy,” Emily said and hurried off a moment before the door opened and Smoke walked in carrying the year old little boy that looked exactly like his father.

“Hey Smoke, you know children do not belong in my kitchen don’t you?”

“Just passing through,” Smoke drawled as he walked through and disappeared into the bar.

Watching through the window, Marie smiled at the collection of people in her bar. Most were mutants, a few humans, and today the place was closed so it was merely a gathering of family and friends.

Her brown eyes swept the room and she sighed, there wasn’t a single person from New York in the room though, she spoke often to Jubilee or Kitty on the phone, but she just couldn’t bring herself to see them in person. So instead she settled for a call here and there, a random email, a written letter. Little bits and pieces of harmless contact that didn’t take too much from her and waited.

“So my love,” Logan’s whisper had her jumping slightly and she glanced at him with a grin.

“Are we a bit randy today?” Marie whispered feeling his erection against her hip.

“For you?” Logan grinned at her, “I’m randy every second I’m around you.”

“Shall we slip into the closet then? Or are you heading for self torture?”

“Neither,” Logan whispered backing her away from the window and out the back door. Pinning her to the wall he pressed against her and leaned down softly to whisper into her ear, “So my love what can you tell me about heartbeats?”

Marie frowned at him for a second, “Uh heartbeats?”

Logan nodded a secretive smile on his face, “Heartbeats baby,” his low, sexy tone was reinforced by the fingers making quick work of gathering her skirt in his hands to gain access even as the rasp of his zipper filled her ears.

“Oh God!” Marie moaned as she felt him inside her, surrounding her. Her mind whirling, her body clamoring for what it knew was coming, Marie couldn’t focus on what he’d asked her until much later when her world had stopped spinning so fast the stars were growing dizzy.

Sitting down at the table, her son in his high chair next to her, Emily sitting in the special chair Logan had made for her, and Logan sitting at the end of the table watching her with a patient expectant look it hit her. Heartbeats? The sound echoed in Logan’s head, he could hear her heart, hear the children’s hearts beating as well but for him to ask her when they were alone, and he had her pressed up against the wall doing wicked things to her?

“You have got to be kidding!” Marie gasped at him as he sat back and laughed, her outburst startling everyone who froze, silence reigning.

Logan shook his head, a shit eating grin on his face, “Nope.”

“That isn’t funny Logan!”

“I swear on my tags that I am not kidding!” Logan raised both hands in the air, grinning at her like a fool.

“No, I absolutely refuse..”

“What’s going on?” Smoke asked his gaze darting between the couple.

“You couldn’t possibly hear it!”

“Did I say one?” Logan asked softly, his hands folded over his flat abdomen.

Paling Marie growled at him, “Forget it!”

“What are you talking about?” Doc asked noting Logan’s smug grin, Marie’s shocked expression and shook her head. Clearing her mind she focused instead on Marie, listening, searching until she burst out laughing. “My God, what are you two trying to do?”

“No,” Marie shook her head and pointed at Logan. “I absolutely refuse to believe you! This is a sick, twisted little joke on your part..”

“Spring,” Doc said. “Definitely.”

“No!”

Laughing Logan reached for his fork, “You think so?”

“Logan I swear to God if you are serious I am going to kill you!” Marie gaped at him and Doc who had started to chuckle. “You both are insane!”

“What’s so funny?” Smoke asked glancing pointedly at his girl.

“Nothing, except Marie and Logan are trying to populate Glenview all by themselves,” Doc laughed at Marie’s stunned look even as the young woman fought a smile.

“Another one?” Danny groaned, “You could at least wait for the rest of us to catch up.”

“Uh, no,” Doc grinned at Marie’s stunned expression as she shook her head. “Right Logan?”

“Right,” Logan shoveled a mouthful of vegetables in and chewed slowly, thoroughly. “Two I believe.”

“Logan,” Marie started slowly, “I swear this had better be an elaborate joke..”

“Baby,” Logan grinned cockily at her. “You were there..”

“Congratulations you two,” Smoke laughed. “Makes me want one of my own.”

“Oh no you don’t,” Doc looked at him shock her jaw dropping. “I have an entire cupboard of..”

“Dear there’s an old saying, about closing the barn door after the horse is already out!” Smoke drawled pointedly and turned his attention to his supper.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Doc drawled, a paler coming over her face as she stared at her lover.

“No point in using a condom when the damage is already done,” Logan grinned at her. “I’d say early summer.”

“Oh definitely,” Smoke chuckled, “Perhaps we should lay money on it?”

“Five bucks says July.”

“June.”

“You two are sick, twisted little men.”


Laughing at the pair of women, the entire table settled in to watch the show. Marie usually was pleasant to be around during her pregnancies, but Doc? She’d never been pregnant so it would be interesting to see.

“Next trip into Calgary I’m investing in a large quantity of condoms,” Marie muttered and glared at her lover. “A very large quantity.”

“Buy from the factory,” Logan drawled with a grin. “But I have to say, getting me to use them is going to be interesting..”

“Logan!” Marie threw her hands in the air and laughed, god she loved this. Loved being here, with these people, with this man. “I love you, ya big lug.”

“Love you to baby, now eat.”

“Yes boss.” Marie chuckled and picked up her fork. It was going to be a very, very good year!