Strange Habits by Argentlife
Summary: Somehow he found it strange. The habit that had developed during the nights.
Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Friendship
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 456 Read: 1870 Published: 05/09/2003 Updated: 05/09/2003

1. Chapter 1 by Argentlife

Chapter 1 by Argentlife
Somehow he found it strange. The habit that had developed during the nights.

Cigar in hand, the smoke lingering in the dark he found himself crossed legged on the manicured lawn. The grass wet against his jeans. Eyes never wandering afar from the whimsy white curtains on the second floor.

There was no reason for him to be there.

The moon stood high on the sky, bathing him in light, creating shadows behind him. The room behind the curtains held only darkness.

Logan always waited for the darkness. Left the shadows only when the irritating yellow glare of electricity had died out.

The light in that window was always the last to die, the faint heartbeat he knew so well always the last to steady in the slow rythm of sleep.

He knew why.

When others slept peacefully the one behind the whimsy white waited only for nightmares. He always knew when the dreams began. The quickening of the heart, the arrogant smell of fear. Sometimes he could hear the screams.

He never went inside.

He sat on the grass, listened carefully. Waited for the dangers of the outside world to make a grand entrance. They never came. Still he waited.

Every night since his return.

Perhaps it wasn't strange at all. Promises were meant to be kept. Logan had promised to protect. He did.

The next year the curtains changed color. White turned into the yellow of sunshine and the heartbeat began to dance with another. The faint smell of magnolia tangled with the fragrance of lemon and cinnamon.

The horrors of the dreams almost disappeared. Lived only when a single heart could be heard. Logan cared most for those moments. He knew what to do then. He guarded the lawn, eyed the blossoming flower beds.

Searched for a chance to make things right.

He never told a soul.

During the days he never cared. Asked enough questions and watched from afar auburn hair streaked with white mix with tresses of white as the lovers held hands in the sunlight.

This night it had changed.

Small drops of rain had began to fall on his shoulders. Clouds had covered the dark night sky. His eyes traveled to the window on the second floor.

Behind the soft yellow curtains white eyes met his. Slim body standing straight in the darkness of the room. White hair catching the last rays of moonlight before the clouds gathered.

Logan didn't look away. Storm only nodded. Inside Marie slept peacefully. Her heartbeat slow and steady.

The grass was wet against his jeans, the rain had ended. Logan stayed where he was. The shadow of him moving alongside with the sunrise. Until dawn.

He left.

Only for the night.

The end
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=905