The Play by Shadowlady
Summary: The Seniors decide to put on a play - X-men style
Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 9938 Read: 1996 Published: 02/06/2007 Updated: 02/06/2007

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
The small group of teens that sat clustered around the largest table in the library barely acknowledged the movement around them. Instead their focus was on the conversation they were having.

“When is Professor Xavier due back?” Rogue asked softly, her fingers tangled in the chain around her throat, her hair hanging in tiny braids around her face.

“Next month. He’s going to be here for Mr. Summer’s and Dr. Grey’s engagement party,” Bobby replied smiling softly at Rogue’s absentminded expression. Obvious her mind was on the tough Canadian they shared the mansion with and not on the conversation - a fact that at one time had hurt a great deal but now only amused him.

“We could do it. We’ve got the numbers, the experience with these things, and I’m sure that we could get help with the costumes,” Kitty smiled enthusiasm in her voice, her eyes dancing at the thought of doing such a surprise for the Professor.

“But what would we put on,” Jubilee drawled tapping her pencil on the table.

“Remy’ll ask Dr. Grey, she’s been ‘is student the longest..”

“He likes Shakespeare,” Rogue interrupted quickly a slight frown on her face. “Especially the tragedies.”

“Well that narrows it down,” Jubilee looked at her sharply. “How do you know that Miss Thang?”

“He mentioned it once,” Rogue looked at her friend, a slightly pained expression on her face as though she was speaking to a child. “I thought everyone knew that.”

“Uh no,” Jubilee laughed softly, “You sure that it’s the professor and not one of the other voices..”

“Eric isn’t into plays. He likes the Opera, all that foreign language and stuff. And Logan isn’t exactly a real connoisseur of that sort of stuff,” Rogue replied patiently.

“Okay, so what’s his favorite play?”

“He didn’t tell me that. Said he likes Shakespearian tragedies.”

Smirking slightly Bobby looked at Pyro for a second before refocusing on the group discussion, “We can do Romeo and Juliet. It’s a tragedy; every one of us is familiar enough with it after studying in Miss Monroe’s class.”


“You’re brilliant Bobby,” Jubilee clapped her hands. “Now all we need is to do the casting...”

“Who wants to do Juliet?” Pyro interrupted easily. When nobody raised a hand he shrugged, “I nominate Rogue to do it. She’s great with the whole needy thing.”

“Thanks,” Rogue grinned at him easily. “That just leaves everyone else’s opinion.”

“No, no Pyro’s right. Rogue would be perfect as Juliet;” Jubilee said firmly, “And Bobby can do Romeo.”

“Sorry kid,” Logan’s distinct drawl had everyone turning to the doorway where the gruff Canadian leaned nonchalantly against the frame, an unreadable expression on his face. “You busy?”

“Uh not overly, why?”

“Games starting in five,” Logan replied glancing at the group for a moment, a familiar belligerent expression on his face.

“Cool. I’ll be right there. You get the beer?”

“Got everything but you kid,” Logan replied with a quick grin that the others didn’t catch before he disappeared into the hallway.

“Okay Rogue, off you go. Enjoy your beer,” Jubilee giggled, “We’ll fill you in on who’s playing what later okay?”

“Cool. When are we doing our next meeting? I’ll bring my copy of Romeo and Juliet,” Rogue rose smoothly.

“Why on earth would you have a copy..?” Jubilee asked only to stutter to a stop when Rogue looked shocked.

“Y’all don’t have one? I thought you did.”

“We did for our English class but we gave ‘em back.”

“Oh,” with a shrug Rogue gathered her things and headed for the large leather couch where Logan had taken up residence to watch the game.

“Where on earth did she get a copy of the play?” Peter whispered they all knew she had the best hearing in the school other than Logan and he didn’t want to get caught talkin’ about her.

“Logan gave it to her for a present,” Kitty replied softly as she jotted down notes to typeset later.

“When?”


“More importantly why?” Jubilee laughed softly.

Kitty shrugged, “Don’t know. Just showed up one morning before it was even light out, woke her up and gave it to her.”

“Is that the morning she was so high she couldn’t stop grinning?” Jubilee asked sharply.

“Yep.”

“You mean I missed some good Rogue Logan action.”

“He just gave her a present Jubes. It wasn’t like they did the deed right there!”

Laughter circled the table quickly before the conversation turned back to the more important topics such as details about the play.



“So what are you and the rat pack doing?” Logan asked as Rogue dropped her papers on the coffee table a moment before she dropped onto the couch, practically in his lap.

“Going to do a play for the Professor,” Rogue replied as Logan turned the volume up a little. “A sorta thank you, welcome back thing.”

Logan nodded, “Should do Romeo and Juliet, you like that one.”

“That’s the one they picked to. Since we only have a month, they wanted to do something we’ve already looked at. We did Romeo and Juliet this year in English Lit so we figured it would be easier to do it than to start on something we haven’t even glanced at.”

“Makes sense,” Logan shrugged, pulling her closer to him with an easy motion. “After all it is one he like’s anyway.”

“Yep,” Rogue smiled. “I’ll find out what we’re going to do about costumes and stuff later. The game’s more important.”

Laughing softly, they turned their attention to watching the hockey game.



Jean Grey looked up at the soft knock on the door and smiled at the young woman standing there. “Good morning Kitty, what can I do for you today?”

“We um are putting on a play for the Professor next month and we were wondering if you know where we could get some costumes?” Kitty spoke softly, shyly as she stood there.

Sensing the nervous attitude of the young woman, Jean nodded slowly. “Let me make a couple of calls. Have you done your casting yet?”

“Got started on it,” Kitty giggled. “Rogue’s gonna play Juliet and we still haven’t figured out whose gonna play who. I voted for Bobby to play Romeo but he doesn’t wanna.”

“I’m sure you’ll get it figured out,” Jean smiled softly. “So when is this play going to happen?”

“We were going to put it on the night of your engagement party. I know its you and Mister Summer’s night but we thought that the Professor would be back that day and maybe you wouldn’t mind..”

“I don’t,” Jean agreed easily. “I tell you what, why don’t you ask if Mr. Summers would be interested in helping you.”

“Really? You wouldn’t mind us taking up a big chunk of time from your engagement party?’

“I’ll explain it to Mr. Summers, I’m sure he’d enjoy watching a play as much as Professor Xavier would.”

“I’ll let you know how many costumes we’ll need and maybe we could work out something to pay for them..”

“I would imagine that you’ll need a few costumes, I’ll make some calls after breakfast tomorrow.”

“Thank you,” Kitty smiled before disappearing through the door.

Smiling at Kitty’s thoughts, Jean went back to work her mind working out where she could get costumes for the seniors who were putting on the play.


Days flew by as the group set to work on putting the play together. Hours spent working on props, hair and makeup preparation, castings, and finally rehearsing. Almost killing themselves, the kids spent hours each day after classes working on the play.

Most of them quickly discovered that Rogue had all but memorized the play, and was quick to coach someone who’d forgotten a line or wasn’t clear on a scene. The only problem they’d had was finding someone to do Romeo.

“We’ve only got three weeks to go before Professor X’s is back,” Rogue spoke firmly to the assembled people all lying about after practice. “Who is playing Romeo?”

“Peter,” Bobby pointed at the tall Russian who looked shocked before shaking his head.

“Bobby is,” Peter replied.


“Don’t know why Pyro can’t do it,” Jubilee tossed in only to freeze when Rogue growled in frustration. “Whoa sister, Logan’s popping up now.”

“We need to get this settled! Remy you can’t play Romeo, you already refused...twice! Peter or Bobby or John make up your freakin’ minds already!”

“It’s a little complicated Rogue. We can’t force them..” Kitty started uneasily.

“Draw straws,” Rogue slapped her hands together, “I’ll get the straws. Whoever draws the short straw has to play Romeo.”

“I guess that’ll work,” Bobby sighed and flopped back on the floor. Rogue was in full speed mode, nothing was going to put a kink in the plans for the play. “I swear that woman is gonna kill us all. Way too much Logan coming through today.”

“You don’t suppose she touched him again do you?” John asked quietly looking at Bobby steadily.

“Would you fuckin’ brats get your minds off Rogue’s touch?” Logan’s angry snarl had everyone turning to face the doorway. “Unlike you she’s takin’ this thing serious, I suggest you follow her example.”

“Perfect,” with a snap of her gum Jubilee rose and walked up to Logan, “So you wanna help Rogue out?”

“Listen you overgrown lemon I ain’t playing with you.”

“Can’t you get her to ease up a little? As stressed as she is she’s going to fall flat on her face with utter exhaustion before the play even starts.”

“Only in your imagination,” Logan growled and shook his head. “And just for your information, One-Eye says you can use the auditorium for rehearsals. We need the dining room!”

“Thanks Logan,” Jubilee pouted as the tall man walked away. “Sheesh he should do Romeo he’s so worried about it...”

“I heard that Lemongirl,” Logan shot back as he disappeared down the hallway.

Rolling her eyes, Jubilee looked at everyone and smiled. “Logan can do it.”

“Uh no, he’ll kill us..” Kitty squeaked nervously.

“No he won’t and he’ll be good at it cause of all that UST between ‘em.”


“Alright, here’s the straws. Don’t know why they can’t keep ‘em in the kitchen like anyone else,” Rogue stated walking into the room only to come to a dead stop at the collection of grins aimed at her. “What? What did you do?”

“We’ve come up with who would be absolutely perfect to play Romeo,” Jubilee declared easily with a grin.

“Who?” Rogue asked slowly, cautiously.

“Logan,” Jubilee replied.

“No! No! He won’t do it and I’m not goin’ to make him!”

“He will so if you ask.”

“He will not!” Rogue growled and held up the straws. “Now quit foolin’ around. We have work to do.”

“I have to check with Dr. Grey about our costumes,” Kitty rose smoothly. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

“Fine, it’s not like you’re going to play Romeo,” Rogue muttered as the other girl walked out of the room. “Now then Bobby, Peter, John get your butts up here. We aren’t going to have this conversation again.”

“But Jubilee’s idea is a good one. You and Logan would make a perfect Romeo and Juliet.”

“No,” Rogue replied seriously and stuck the fist with straws in it in Bobby’s face. “Pull a straw Iceboy and do it fast.”

Grumbling the three boys pulled their straws and groaned. Flushing slightly Peter looked at the other two with a silent plea in his eyes. “Good Peter, welcome to Romeo’s life!” Rogue smiled. “Don’t forget to really study him; he is the main character other than Juliet.”

“Yes boss,” Peter replied softly, uneasy about the situation he now found himself within.

Two hours later, the gang made a quick escape from Rogue’s enthusiasm when she disappeared to go get her leather bound copy of Shakespeare. Amid the groans from the guys Peter grabbed both John and Bobby and hustled them along the hallway.

“I do not like this arrangement,” he ground out. “I am not a good enough actor to pretend to kiss her.”

“Relax man,” John declared. “You won’t have to. Logan’ll stop that right quick. Nobody gets that close to her. Think of it as being an understudy..”


“You better be right,” Peter snapped angrily. “Cause I ain’t gonna like getting stabbed!”

Laughing at Peter’s irate comment Bobby and John slipped into their dorm room and collapse onto the beds. “She is going to kill us!”

“Yep,” Bobby declared, “And it’s not going to be pretty.”


Glancing up at the thump at his door, Logan rose to pad over and pull it open even as he glanced at the clock. Smiling slightly he raised an eyebrow at the young woman standing in a long nightgown and bunny slippers in front of his door.

“Whatcha need darlin’?”

“I’m too tired to argue with you Logan,” Rogue smothered a yawn as she pushed past him. “Can I have half the bed? If Jubilee doesn’t learn to quit snoring I’m gonna have to kill her.”

Chuckling Logan nodded and closed the door after Rogue, “Course darlin’. You’re always welcome. How goes the play thing?”

“Uhhg. Kitty got the costumes all lined up, Jubilee and Bobby have arranged for the props, and poor Peter’s absolutely terrified at the thought of having to pretend to kiss me. But other than that we should be ready for the Professor’s return.”

“Come on,” Logan smiled pulling back the blankets. “In you get okay. Wheels isn’t due back for another week and a half, tomorrow let the brats rehearse without you...”

“But Logan...”

“Marie, if you don’t relax and take five minutes for yourself, the only thing you’re gonna be doing is laying in the med lab with Jeannie pumping you full of sedatives,” Logan warned softly. “I support you wanting to do this, but you got to take care of yourself as well.”

“I guess. Its just I don’t want to screw this up!”

“You won’t,” Logan replied sliding into the bed and pulling his covers up before reaching over to kill the light. “You know the play by heart. You’ll do really good with it.”

“I hope you’re right,” Rogue yawned as she snuggled into the warmth of the bed.

“I am,” Logan replied making a mental note to take Rogue out of the mansion at first opportunity tomorrow and keep her away from the rehearsal. Maybe he’d take her into town to that new store and get some new clothes. She liked silk, and the store owner was mutant friendly.



Leaving Rogue sleeping despite it being after eight in the morning, Logan dressed quickly and headed for the dorm. A quick sniff told him that both the talking lemon and the shy girl were both in. Rapping quickly on the door he pulled it open and stepped into the room a slight grimace on his face.

Both girls lay sleeping soundly in their beds and Logan eyed Jubilee for a moment with undisguised dismay before turning to the shy kid. Walking over he poked her sharply on the shoulder before stepping back.

Opening her eyes groggily Kitty blinked at the fact that she was staring at a denim encased crotch and legs. Scanning upwards she swallowed a scream and turned to look for Rogue, “Uh..”

“You’re on your own for rehearsal today. Rogue’s taking some time for herself,” Logan grunted.

“Okay,” Kitty whispered softly.

“Don’t fuck this up either. Rogue wants this to be perfect, you disappoint her and you’ll be dealin’ with me. Got it?” Logan growled, pleased when the girl nodded frantically her grip on her blankets tight enough to wipe all color from her fingers. “Good. Its time to get up. Pass the message on.”

Kitty nodded desperately her fingers shaking as Logan turned and walked out of the room, closing the door softly. Sinking back into her bed she glanced uneasily at Jubilee who still lay snoring softly.

“Jubes get up,” Kitty scrambled from under her covers and pounced on her roommate. “We’re in big trouble.”

“Five more minutes.”

“No, no you gotta get up!” Kitty thumped the other girl hard on the rump. “Logan was here..”

“Probably after Rogue.”

“She’s not here! And he was saying she’s takin’ the day off from rehearsing.”

Jerking upright, narrowly missing Kitty’s face with her own Jubilee stared at her friend so hard her eyes were crossed. “She isn’t going to rehearse today?”

“No,” Kitty shook her head uneasily, “He said we’re on our own for today and not to mess this up cause we’d have to deal with him! What are we gonna do?”

“Rehearse. Later Kitty, much, much later!”

“But Jubilation! What are we going to tell everyone?”


“Rogue wants us to rehearse our parts, but that she’s not gonna be there.”

“Jubilee!”

“What?”

“You have to admit that’s a scary thought,” Kitty shot back.

“Kitty…relax, we’ll be fine. Now then, since Rogue isn’t here I fully intend to have a nice long, hot shower before I have to face the day.”

Groaning at the words Kitty merely shook her head and smiled before watching Jubilee slip from her bed and head for the bathroom. Flopping down amongst the tangled covers of the bed Kitty lay staring at the ceiling wondering about Rogue and Logan.


Laughing softly at Logan’s dark look Rogue dabbed at the smear of ketchup that she’d gotten on him when she’d stolen his hotdog. “I’m so sorry Logan.”

“Sure you are kid,” Logan grinned at her suddenly. “So what do you wanna do? Movie or shopping?”

“Shopping? I should pick up a couple more blouses and maybe a new skirt or something. I still haven’t got anything to wear for the party.”

“You got it,” Logan rose smoothly from his seat on the park bench and offered her a hand. Draping one arm around her shoulders he directed her back toward his bike, determined to get her a nice outfit for the engagement party. “So how’d Kitty do the costumes?”

“Through a store downtown that specializes in ‘em,” Rogue replied quickly. “I like my dresses it’s just that they need to be adjusted a little.”

“Why don’t you get ‘em to do it?”

“It makes people too nervous to have to do that sort of thing with my skin,” Rogue replied softly as she paused beside the bike and waited for Logan to get on. “Besides I figured I’d just do it myself.”

“I don’t fuckin’ get people,” Logan ground out. “You wear body suits and gloves its not like they could actually touch your skin..”

“It’s okay Logan. I’ve gotten used to people not wanting to touch me,” Rogue whispered sliding onto the bike behind him and wrapping her arms around his waist.


“No it’s not okay. Ororo knows how to sew, and she’s good at it maybe we could ask her to help out.”

“Logan..”

“No, I’ll ask her when we get back until then we’re gonna have fun.”

“You having fun shopping?”

“Hey it’s a chance to look at women’s underwear!” Logan laughed softly at Rogue’s skepticism and cranked the bike up. Pulling out into traffic he headed for the little shop he’d found, the owner was a little eccentric but she seemed nice.

All but dragging Rogue behind him, Logan stepped into the small shop and glanced around. Fancy clothes hung on the walls in various shades, accessories littered the shelves and floor and the huge window display revealed a simple outfit that Logan could easily picture on Rogue.

“Good morning,” the soft, slightly accented voice had both of them turning to stare at a small woman with layered ash-blonde hair and blue eyes. A warm smile crossed her pretty face and her hands encased in shimmery gloves were folded neatly in front of her.

“Mornin’,” Logan’s voice seemed out of place amongst the softer sounds of the shop but the woman merely smiled a little more. “How ya doin’?”

“Very well, and yourselves?”

“Good,” Rogue replied with a warm smile.

“Can I offer you some refreshments? Some assistance?”

“Sure. Coffee would be good,” Logan replied looking around before settling on Rogue. “We’re doing some new things shopping.”

“I’ll get the coffee and be right back,” the woman spoke softly before turning and walking away the soft rustle of her floor length blue skirt echoing softly in the room. A moment later she returned with a small tray laden with two cups of coffee, cream, and sugar.

After making coffee for themselves, Logan set down in a nearby chair and glanced around. “Tell her whatcha need darlin’.”

“Um I uh need two blouses, a pair of long black gloves, and a skirt. We’ve got an engagement party coming up in a few days...”

“Color?”

“Green,” Logan stated calmly. “Dark green, the color of a forest of spruce.”


The woman tilted her head slightly and chuckled, “You’re from Canada.”

“Yeah so?”

“It’s just nice to hear a fellow Canadian talking,” the woman replied. “I’ll be right back I have some new stock that might be what you’re looking for.”

“She’s Canadian Logan,” Rogue whispered softly sipping on her coffee. “She seems really nice.”

“Must be why I thought this place was cool.”

“You getting hives yet?” Rogue teased softly, ignoring the low growl coming from him.

“Not yet,” Logan replied softly looking around. Rising he set his cup down and padded over to the wall where a long, silvery dress hung from a hook. “What do you think Marie?” he asked holding it up.

“Hey it’s almost like my stripes,” Rogue grinned as he held it up. “I like it. How much is it?”

“Who cares?”

“I do Logan,” Rogue replied. “I have money but not that much...”

“Oh put your money away,” Logan waved it off easily even as he shifted, rolling his shoulders at the thought of spending so much time in a store pickin’ out women’s clothing. Hearing the shifting of silk he turned back to see the clerk coming back with an armful of clothes.

“Here we are,” the woman said warmly. “I picked out a dress as well. If you’d like to try them on, I’ve unlocked the change rooms.”

“Thank you,” Rogue took the handful of hangers and smiled before heading over to the change room. Trying them on quickly, she showed each article to Logan who nodded or shook his head before trying the next on. Half an hour later she had two piles of clothes, one she didn’t really care for the other that she felt comfortable in.

“Perfect. Gloves,” leading the way the clerk eyed Rogue’s hands and noted the heavy silk ones she wore. “I take it these are not for mere show?”

“Uh no,” Rogue shifted uneasily glancing sharply at Logan who was slightly tensed. “I want them to be nice though.”

With a quick, easy smile the clerk nodded producing a key and opening a small panel on the wall. Pulling out a tray she set it on the table, “This is my private collection of gloves. They’re even lighter than what you’re wearing, totally utilitarian, and they’ll last forever.”


“Wow, they shimmer..”

“Natural silk. The only treatment they’ve had was to be dyed.”

“I like the black ones,” Rogue whispered even as the woman nodded and lifted them up. A slight frown at the size marred her face before she took the glove. Slipping hers off she pulled it on and smiled. Soft, flexible, yet it wasn’t overly hot, or tight, “I like it. The glove’s so comfortable that I don’t think I’d feel it after a while,” Rogue smiled at Logan and held her hand up.

“Get a few pairs. Maybe a scarf or two. Get one for the play..”

“You’re an actor?”

“Just a school play,” Rogue flushed slightly, ducking her head uncomfortably.

“What play are you doing?”

“Romeo and Juliet,” Rogue replied softly at the curiosity in the woman’s tone.

“Oh yes, I know that one. I loved it. Probably why I own the movies they made of it. What color of scarf?”

“Something that she can interchange. She’s got a bunch of different colored dresses she’s gotta wear.”

With a quick nod, the woman made short work of producing a tray of colored scarves that matched the gloves completely. After selecting four, Logan nodded at Rogue.

“Anything else?”

“I think that’s everything,” Rogue said softly.

“Perfect. I’ll just wrap it up for you,” the clerk replied. “How will you be paying today?”

“Cash,” Logan replied quickly.

“Excellent sir,” the clerk rang everything up and quoted a price that made Rogue look sharply at Logan who quickly handed over a handful of hundred dollar bills.

After he’d gotten his change he smiled at Rogue and handed her the bags, “Got you everything but the kitchen sink.”

“We didn’t get underwear,” Rogue pointed out and Logan frowned.

“Damn, we’ll have to stop and pick some up,” Logan replied seriously.


Laughing softly at the tone, Rogue followed him out into the sunshine and stowed her new clothes. With a loud rev of the engine, Logan took off headed for the movie theater; he had no plans to return to the mansion before dinnertime.


Heading back to the mansion, Rogue had to admit that the day had been better than she’d have thought. Logan hadn’t once complained at her suggestions and he’d been his usual teasing self - the one she saw when they were alone. The only thing she could wish for was a kiss from him before they went their separate ways.

Knowing it was unlikely to happen; Rogue resigned herself to a brotherly hug and a smile. Carrying her bags down the hall she wondered how things were going with rehearsal but pushed those thoughts aside, there was no need to broadcast her need to be in control of the play’s progress.

“You’ll do great with the play,” Logan whispered in her ear as they stopped before her bedroom door. “Quit worrying. Now toss that stuff on the bed and let’s go get dinner.”

With a smile, Rogue opened the door and put the bags on her bed before heading back out into the hallway where Logan stood waiting. “Today was fun. I enjoyed it Logan, thanks.”

“Don’t thank me darlin’,” Logan replied draping an arm around her shoulders. “That’s what I’m here for you know.”

“Thought that was to protect me from the boogeyman,” Rogue teased softly.

“That to,” Logan replied warmly. “But mostly to be sure you’re happy.”

Rogue giggled, “I am happy Logan.”

“Good. Let’s keep it that way!”

Laughing softly Rogue nodded, her arm wrapped around his waist as they headed into the dining room.


Watching Rogue and the other brats as they put the finishing touches on the play Logan had to admit he was proud of her. She’d done it, without killing anyone or driving herself up the wall. Of course at the end of the day the fact that she was utterly exhausted hadn’t escaped his notice either but he’d figured out a way to help that as well.

Watching the group gathering their things up and stowing them away he grinned at Rogue who smothered a grimace as she rolled her shoulders. Catching his eye she smiled warmly and waved before setting her things down and heading his way.


“Well? What do you think?”

“I think that Wheels is gonna be impressed,” Logan replied seriously. “You’re doing a helluva job.”

“Thanks,” Rogue shifted, rolling her shoulders painfully. “I um hope you don’t mind if I beg off tonight’s hockey game. I think I’m just gonna go soak for a while..”

“Got a better idea,” Logan replied seriously with a quick, easy grin. “So you think you’re ready for this?”

“I hope so. Professor Xavier’s due back in two days and we’re still working on getting the annoying little bugs out. Peter still refuses to even pretend to kiss me, says he doesn’t wanna get skewered.”

“Tell him I won’t, as long as he does what he’s supposed to and that’s it!”

“Cool,” Rogue drawled with a quick, easy grin as she followed him out of the auditorium and down the hall to his bedroom. Slipping into the room with an easy, familiar step she smiled at the sweating bottle of Molsens sitting on the bedside table. “You left a beer out?”

“Sure. It ain’t like it’s gonna go anywhere.”

Shaking her head Rogue turned to face him easily, “So what’s on the agenda other than a hot soak for my tired body?”

“You’ll see,” Logan replied with a grin as he moved over to slip on a pair of vaguely familiar gloves. “You’ll uh need to lose your shirt baby, back rubs are better without layers between points of contact.”

Laughing softly, Rogue shed her shirt faster than anyone could imagine and climbed onto Logan’s bed. Flopping face down she sighed, “I’m glad you’re here y’know?”

“Glad I’m here to,” Logan replied gathering the soft, sweetly exotic oil he’d gotten and began working it into the sore, knotted muscles of Rogue’s back. Moving in steady circles, Logan worked the oil into her muscles, acknowledging the soft moans she gave when he hit the right spot even as he worked steadily.

Unwilling to admit how much he was enjoying himself Logan worked slowly, calmly ignoring the way his body reacted to so much bare skin. Instead he focused on the way she seemed to sink deeper and deeper into the mattress of his bed until he was sure she had no strength left in her muscle groups.

“Good?” he whispered, leaning forward to whisper near her ear.


“If I promise to be your slave for life will you give me one every day?” Rogue purred sleepily.

Chuckling Logan shook his head, “Slave? Naw, maybe wife?” he muttered thickly in reply his tone so low he was sure she wouldn’t catch it. He frowned when she tensed slightly for a few seconds before relaxing again with a small, knowing smile on her face.

“You got a deal sugar,” Rogue purred softly knowing full well he’d hear her.

“Get some sleep Marie,” Logan replied softly, “Tomorrow’s a big day. You’ve got the second to last rehearsal, as well as a full day of classes.”

Rogue nodded slowly and snuggled into the blankets on his bed, her body already sliding into sleep. She knew he wouldn’t take her serious but she had, and it was an easy promise to make. First thing in the morning she was gonna corner him and make him tell her if he was joking or not. If he was she was gonna kill him - slowly, painfully, through physical touch. She’d drain him till he was a wiggling mass on the floor!


Groaning at the way his bed kept shifting, Logan opened one eye to stare at the pale expanse of an abdomen marked with a diamond bellybutton ring. Closing his eye he shifted, before canting his gaze upwards to stare sleepily at Rogue who looked wide awake and ready to face the day.

“Morning darlin’,” Logan muttered shifting to ease off the bed.

“Conversation time sugar,” Rogue declared crossing her arms over her chest and glaring him into submission.

“You’ll do great. Would you quit stressing out over this play..”

“Play’s not on the agenda,” Rogue replied seriously. “I wanna know why you’d joke around about marrying me.”

Shaking his head at his own stupidity Logan sighed and shifted to lean against the headboard, the sheet pooling around his waist. Reaching over he grabbed a half smoked cigar and lit it before inhaling the toxic smoke.

“I wasn’t joking,” Logan shot back knowing Rogue in a perturbed mood was not a good way to start the day.

“Sure, you were deadly serious. I suppose it was a good laugh for you to huh,” Rogue snapped glaring at him. “After all you know how I feel about you...know exactly what those words would do to me..”


“Hold it right there,” Logan shot back. “First off I didn’t just come up with some humiliate Rogue with a marriage proposal plan. Second of all I’m not stupid I realize that you care about me and I would never do anything to embarrass you or make you uncomfortable...”

“Just wait until I’m putty in your hands and say you wanna marry me!” Rogue hissed tapping her nails on her arm.

“I am!” Logan shot back. “I realize I have to wait a while, you’re not even eighteen but I’m not going to rush that! I can on occasion be patient especially when it means getting what I want!”

Rogue glared at him until Logan rolled his eyes and rolled over to reach into the drawer next to her. She stared at him as he pulled out a small black box from a jewelry store. Jumping when he dropped it in her lap she frowned slightly but picked it up and opened the top.

Gasping as she stared down at the familiar looking band inlaid with rubies Rogue glanced up at Logan, “Where um where did you get this?”

“I took your design to a local jeweler. Took him about a month to make it cause I gave him some adamantium to use. I sorta changed things a little...” he whispered softly, hesitantly.

Staring at the trio of marks that ran across the band Rogue smiled, “It looks like your claw marks.”

“That’s exactly the effect I was hoping for. I know you said you didn’t really like diamonds by themselves on a ring so I got him to put in the rubies and flank the whole setting by diamonds.”

Biting her lip Rogue stared at the band for a moment, “I thought you were joking with me.”

“Never about that baby,” Logan replied looking her in the eye, “I know you care about me a lot, and you are my best friend in the whole world. I’d do anything for you no matter how hard. You don’t have to give me an answer today Marie, just sorta think about it...”

“But I already know the answer,” Rogue replied seriously, her eyes swimming in tears. “Of course I’d marry you. I love you always have, always will. And I know you love me.”

“I do,” Logan replied his voice husky, choked with emotion. “Always.”

“So um when did you wanna..?”

“We’ve got time. That’s up to you.”

Rogue giggled and shifted, throwing her arms around Logan’s neck, “Soon sugar, really soon!”

Laughing with her, Logan tumbled across the bed with her, “We should probably wait until after the engagement party. Something tells me that Scooter’ll have my nuts nailed to a wall if we don’t.”


“Who’s gonna tell him?” Rogue asked innocently. “I won’t if you won’t! And they did soundproof your room…”

Growling Logan rolled pulling Rogue over him so she was straddling him easily. “You have a valid point soon to be Missus Logan.”

“I know,” Rogue replied leaning forward till she was almost kissing him. “Scarf?”

“Top drawer. I picked up a couple more from that shop downtown.”

Rogue smiled and reached over his head to grab the drawer handle. Jerking it open she moaned at the soft, wet warmth that seemed to swipe along one nipple. “Logan..”

“I’m okay. It was just too tempting.”

Giggling Rogue shifted, pulling the scarf along with her, “I have free period this morning, what do you say we put it to good use?”

“I like it, I like it,” Logan chuckled as Rogue grinned at him through the lacy scarf she’d covered his face with.



Frowning at the obviously absent Rogue Jean shook her head, “How late did you guys practice last night?” she asked Kitty.

“We were finished in time for the hockey game but Rogue was so tired I heard her tell Logan she wasn’t gonna watch it. She probably slept in.”

“Not in our room!” Jubilee muttered darkly. “Where’s Logan?”

“I don’t know,” Jean replied before closing her eyes and focusing. A minute later she opened them and rose, “I um I have to uh go do something. I’ll be right back!”

Hurrying from the room she headed up the stairs and down the hallway. Pausing before one of the doors she raised one hand and knocked. Hard. Waiting impatiently for the door to open she tapped one toe on the hardwood floor until the handle turned.

Opening her mouth to let them both have it she stared at a happy, rested looking Rogue who was brushing her hair out. “What is going on? You’re late for your class.”

“I had free period this morning.”

“Yes but its eleven thirty Rogue. You’re missing biology.”


Rogue groaned and shook her head, “But Dr Grey I was busy with much more important things..”

“Yeah Red relax, she needed a little extra rest after all that work with the play,” Logan grumbled as he walked past Rogue with his jeans pulled on but not fastened. “Cut her some slack.”

“Okay, I understand you being busy with the play Rogue but you need to keep your studies up as well. I’ll forgive you this time, but you need to complete today’s assignment as well as the homework.”

“Thanks Dr. Grey. I’ll do my best,” Rogue said with a sassy grin as she darted down the hallway toward the stairwell.

Turning to look at Logan, Jean raised one eyebrow. “What was going on?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean Logan that I saw that little look you two shared..”

“Now Jean if I went and told you, Scooter would have a heart attack,” Logan drawled. “After all he’s been waiting ever so patiently for you to be willing to announce your engagement.”

“You asked her didn’t you?” Jean looked at Logan seriously, “Come on Logan tell the truth.”

“I did, and she said yes,” Logan replied grabbing a shirt and pulling it on over his head before picking up his discarded flannel from the day before. “Not that we’re in a big rush to move forward, after all she is only seventeen.”

“Where did we go wrong?” Jean moaned as Logan walked past her. “Just wait until after the party before you say anything.”

“Wouldn’t dream of spoiling your party darlin’. Rogue and I got better things to do,” Logan shot back as he disappeared.

“I lost control, plain and simple. They lost their minds and I’ve lost control,” shaking her head Jean headed back for her classroom.



Rolling into the mansion Charles breathed a sigh of relief. It was good to be home again, especially when he had a social event to oversee. Hiding a smile he wondered how long it had taken Jean to talk everyone into helping out with the engagement party. Probably not as long as he would have thought.


Frowning slightly as he wondered how Logan had handled the news Charles headed for his suite. Knowing the burly cage brawler, he’d probably taken off in a rage. After stowing his things in his room he headed for the kitchen intent on having a nice, large glass of iced tea before he had to face anyone.

“Glad to see ya back Wheels,” Logan’s distinct growl had Charles jumping slightly.

“You know I wish you’d quit scaring the daylights out of everyone,” Charles snapped as he turned to face the man in the doorway. Frowning slightly he studied Logan - there were no signs that he was upset about the engagement being formalized, no anger in his eyes, nothing that would even hint that his emotions were running wild. Instead Logan’s expression was clear, at ease, and as relaxed as he would ever be.

“Sorry,” Logan shrugged. “Figured you’d have known I was there, what with you being psychic.”

“How were things while I was gone?”

“Good. It was a little touch and go there for the first month but we’ve learned to work around the usual disturbances,” Logan replied quickly as he poured Charles a coffee before reaching for a beer. “You glad to be here for the engagement party?”

“Yes, yes I am. How are you doing with it?”

“What the party?” Logan shrugged and looked steadily at Charles. “It’s a party, mostly people from the mansion, a few outsiders but then what can you expect. Just hope Scooter doesn’t do something stupid like he did the last time we did a party.”

“I’m surprised you haven’t run off to sulk,” Charles spoke softly, hoping against hope that Logan wouldn’t take offense.

“Why would I do that?”

“Cause of your attraction to Jean Grey,” Charles pointed out.

Logan laughed and shook his head, “She ain’t exactly the best thing I’ve ever seen there Doc. Matter of fact I’m glad she’s marrying Scooter - might get the stick out of his ass.”

“I must admit I am glad to hear that. I wasn’t too certain that you’d be responsive to their engagement.”

“Got bigger and better things to worry ‘bout now,” Logan replied before draining the bottle of beer and setting it in the recyclable tray. “Oh by the way the party is black tie. Better dig out that tux of yours.”

“Sure Logan,” Charles watched him walk off a slight whistle as he moved. Frowning slightly he shook his head and glanced to his right at the faint sense of someone else’s presence.


“Charles, nice to see you,” Jean smiled softly.

“Good to be home. Logan’s behaving himself I see?”

“He’s been excellent. Course we haven’t been able to pry him and Rogue apart yet but then that’s alright. They’re happy, healthy, and tolerant of others.”

“I was shocked at his reaction just now when I suggested his reaction wasn’t what I thought it would have been.”

“Like I said, he’s Rogue’s. Everything he does these past few months has been about her. He’s willing to put up with a lot to be around her, up to and including taking her shopping.”

“What did you do to him?”

Jean laughed and leaned down to kiss his cheek, “Nothing. Rogue did it. He told you about the black tie this evening?”

“Indeed.”

“Perfect,” Jean smiled. “We have a little surprise for you as well. Rogue and the seniors put it together.”

“I will be there for this.”

Jean giggled as she left the room; Charles was in for several surprises within the next few days. Up to and including the secret engagement that was happening within the mansion right at this very minute.



Gathered in the largest room within the mansion, Charles sat at the head table watching the students, friends, and family as they enjoyed the delightful dinner that had been prepared. A glance down the table revealed Logan and Rogue sitting next to Scott and Jean and there was no enmity, no male posturing for control. Watching as Rogue smiled sweetly at Logan, whispered something into his ear and rose he smiled as Logan nodded and ignored Scott’s pointed look. Maybe the man was maturing.

Scanning the room Charles noticed that most of the seniors had risen and disappeared, the lights were shifting as well, and the excitement was heavy in the air. Turning his attention to the source of activity he smiled, at the far edge of the room a heavy red curtain hung from the ceiling, blocking whatever was behind it from view. Knowing that the students had worked hard to produce a surprise for him, Charles kept his curiosity at a minimum and refused to peak into their minds.


The familiar crackle of a microphone coming on had everyone falling silent as the lights faded and a spotlight shone directly onto the curtain.

“Good evening, and welcome to Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters,” the familiar sound of Bobby’s voice had Charles turning to stare at the young man who was obviously waiting for everyone’s attention to fall on him.

“Just a couple of things this evening. First of all congratulations to Dr. Grey and Mister Summers on finally setting a date; it’s been a relief to the women within this school to know when a wedding is coming,” Bobby said as the room filled with laughter before dying back down. “And secondly welcome home Professor Xavier. We’re very happy to have you home with us and hope you enjoy tonight’s performance.”

The soft strain of music filled the room as the spotlight faded and the sound of Bobby’s footsteps faded. A moment later the curtain shifted, puckering at its hem and Charles watched in amazement as it lifted to reveal an elegant set right out of a Shakespearian play. Setting back in his seat he focused all his attention on the narrator’s voice as it grew in volume.

Two hours later Charles sipped from his glass of champagne at the rise in volume of the young woman’s narration even as the curtain began to descend.

“Never was there a tale with more woe, than that of Juliet and her Romeo,” the voice spoke softly, like she was imparting a secret before fading out to be replaced by the soft music that had been present at the beginning of the play.

Rising like a wave the thunderous applause had Charles grinning despite his shock as the curtain was lifted to reveal the group that had orchestrated the play. Taking a bow the group of teens and a few of the younger students rose to smile at the crowd before taking a single step back and clapping along with them, leaving Rogue isolated at center stage.

Rogue smiled hesitantly and bowed again before stepping back to rejoin her classmates. Glancing at the edge of the stage she couldn’t keep the shock off her face as one of the youngest students scurried onto stage with a huge bouquet of red roses.

“For you,” the girl whispered and handed the flowers over with a quick hug.

Smiling Rogue took them inhaling the rich, sweet scents. “Thank you,” she whispered back as the girl disappeared from sight.

The falling of the heavy red velvet had her turning around to look at her fellow playmates, “So what’s this?”

“Not from us,” Peter held up his hands in surrender. “Although I wish we’d thought of that. You did really well tonight, kept us in line that’s for sure.”


“Thank you.”

“Just thank Logan for not skewering me and I’ll be grateful,” Peter said giving her a quick hug even as the others clustered around.

“We rocked tonight Rogue,” Jubilee laughed and shrugged her shoulders. “We should do this again.”

“No!” Bobby slapped a hand over Jubilee’s mouth. “We only do this on special occasions. Right Rogue,” he glanced at his ex-girlfriend who merely smiled and nodded.

“Thank you,” Rogue smiled softly, her eyes bright with unshed tears. “Thank you for working so hard and putting up with me. You guys did a lot of work for this and you deserve some of the credit.”

“Now Rogue,” Kitty smiled at her, “We just did what anyone else would have done. Helped you bring this play to life. Besides we both know you wouldn’t have let us fail.”

Laughing softly Rogue nodded just as a familiar hand wrapped around her waist to squeeze gently, “Hey sugar.”

“Ya did great,” Logan smiled at her easily, watching her expression carefully. “I’m really proud of you.”

“Thanks. I uh guess we need to get changed out of these costumes so we can rejoin the party huh?” Rogue looked down at the shimmery silver gown she wore.

“Na, you look good. Come on Wheels wants to talk to you.”

“Me?” Rogue frowned. “Why me? I was only one of the team.”

“Just come on darlin’, it’ll be as painless as a back rub.”

“Ooh,” Rogue shuddered. “Tease.”

“Later baby, later,” Logan shot back as he led her off the stage and over toward the head table.

“Thank you Rogue,” Charles said wheeling forward to take Rogue’s hand. “I understand you did a lot of work on this play. I do appreciate it.”

“Thank you sir,” Rogue shrugged shifting her flowers in her arms. “But we all did a lot of work. It wasn’t just me.”


“Nonsense,” Charles waved off her claim. “I’ve been briefed by Logan and well as by Jean and Scott. You’ve directed this play as well as starred in it. I realize you still have dreams of going to college but I would like to invite you to teach a drama class a couple of days a week if you could fit it in.”

Rogue glanced at Logan and flushed slightly before shrugging, “I’m not sure Professor..”

“Just think about it,” Charles said with a smile. “In the mean time congratulations.”

“Thank you. I uh better go put these roses in water,” Rogue flushed slightly before smiling at everyone and turning to head for the kitchen.

“I’ll help,” Logan drawled and fell into step with her, one arm wrapped around her waist easily.

Charles frowned slightly before glancing at Jean who snickered into her flute full of champagne. *Something you aren’t saying?*

*Of course, but they don’t want to tell just yet.*

*Jean now is not the time for foolish pranks. This is serious; I will not allow your wedding to be disrupted by Logan’s bad mood or his jealousy. If you know something I suggest you tell me.*

*Go talk to them,* Jean looked steadily at Charles. “Logan isn’t interested in me,” she whispered softly to him. “He hasn’t been since he got back this last time.”

“What do you mean?”

“Like I told you,” Jean shrugged. “We haven’t been able to pry him and Rogue apart yet. I think he realized just where his heart lies - and she’s doing a damn good job of keeping it safe.”

Glancing out the door where the pair had retreated Charles sighed, he hoped that was true. Surveying the room revealed nothing out of the ordinary and he headed for the kitchen for a nice cup of coffee and perhaps a chat.


Leaning against the counter Logan watched Rogue carefully trim the stems of the roses before putting them in a glass vase filled with water. “You glad it’s done?”

“Yeah,” Rogue nodded after a second. “I’m glad that the Professor liked it. I’m proud of the work I did on it, proud that we didn’t mess up or anything like that. And I’m glad that I’ve got you, without you I’d probably been too exhausted and burnt out to even get up on that stage.”

Logan grinned, “That’s what I’m here for.”

“To take care of me?” Rogue asked softly, a slight smile on her face.


“Well since you take care of me I figure it’s a fair trade,” Logan replied pulling a rosebud from the vase and lifting it to his nose. Inhaling slightly he smirked at her, “Besides, I love the way you’re there for me. I’d give anything in this world to keep that safe.”

“Even take me shopping,” Rogue giggled.

“Even taking you shopping,” Logan replied moving so he was behind her and resting his chin on her shoulder. “Forever. That don’t change.”

“You been to Vegas lately?” Rogue asked softly, simply as she snipped the end off the stem of a bloom.

“Not that I recall,” Logan replied tightening his arms around her waist and breathing her scent in. “Why?”

“You wanna go with me in a couple of weeks?”

“I’d go with you tonight,” Logan replied seriously. “What’s that got to do with anything?”

“Two weeks I’ll be eighteen,” Rogue whispered and glanced at him nervously. “I want to be with you Logan. I don’t care about what everyone thinks or anything like that. I know you don’t either.”

“There you two are,” Charles whirred into the room with a smile gracing his face. Keeping it in place at the familiar way Logan held Rogue was a little hard to manage with the shock racing through his body.

“Hey Wheels,” Logan greeted him without releasing Rogue entirely. “What’s up?”

Laughing softly Charles shook his head, “Can’t fool you can I?”

Logan shrugged and stared at him, “No.”

“I must admit I haven’t quite gotten a grasp on my concern.”

“Concern?” Rogue asked softly glancing at Logan then at Charles. “Concern about what?”

“My reaction to Scooter and Red’s wedding,” Logan explained.

“I thought you were happy for them,” Rogue frowned as she looked at Logan her body tensing at the thought that something had happened.

“I am,” Logan shrugged and looked at her steadily. “We’ve been through this darlin’, I’m not chasing after something that ain’t even what I want. I spent way too long doing that, I won’t do it again. Won’t go back to it. Besides I’ve got what I want right here.”


“But if you’re upset about the wedding or something..”

“I’m not,” Logan looked her in the eye, “It’s like I told Jean. When you’ve got the best you don’t need to keep looking for it. Flirtin’ with Jean is just a way of getting Scooter’s goat. I know she knows I ain’t serious. Hell if she gave me the slightest indication that she was takin’ me serious I’d have run the other direction.”

Rogue nodded slowly, her eyes focused on his as she tried to work it out in her own mind. Smiling softly she sighed, “I guess I’m just pickin’ up on the bad vibes or something.”

“Well don’t,” Logan growled at her slightly, before refocusing on Charles who sat watching their exchange with an unreadable expression on his face. “I’m with Rogue; I love her too much to play that kind of game. Besides that Jean is very much in love with Scott, and as much as I like irritating the guy, I ain’t out to crush him.”

“Self delusions are usually the hardest to break,” Charles spoke softly.

Logan growled and Rogue jumped slightly, familiar with that particular note, “Look Wheels I’ll spell it out to you. I love Rogue, she loves me, and in two weeks we’re goin’ to Vegas. When we get back after a week or so off she’s moving in with me. End of discussion. I ain’t interested in anything Scott and Jean do okay? I got enough of a woman of my own to keep me busy for the next hundred years, and I don’t plan on doing anything to ruin it.”

Charles stared at Logan as he picked up the vase full of roses and headed out of the kitchen, anger in every line of his body. Glancing at Rogue who merely shrugged and met his gaze before following Logan out of the room, Charles sighed. Obviously they were serious.

*Just so you know Logan. You could always get married here. It wouldn’t take that much effort to make it a double wedding.*

*Not gonna happen. We like the elopement idea,* Logan snapped back angrily. *Now get out of my head and stay out. Rogue and I have plans for the evening and they don’t include you!*

Chuckling softly Charles turned his chair to see Scott standing there eying him. “Something wrong Scott?”

“Jean said you were concerned about Logan ruining the wedding.”

“I was,” Charles admitted.

“Why? He’s got Rogue now. Or rather she’s got him wrapped around her pinky.”

“I guess I just wanted to see it for myself,” Charles admitted quickly. “And I did, Logan loves Rogue a great deal. So much so that he’s willing to put up with anything or anyone’s opinion as long as they don’t start in on her. Of course I’m not happy with the whole Vegas thing..”


“Vegas thing?” Scott frowned. “What Vegas thing?”

Charles smirked, “They’re planning on eloping.”

“What? Uh huh, no way. I just get him into a tux and he decides he’s gonna take off and elope! No way in hell,” Scott fumed pacing the length of the kitchen.

“Talk to him tomorrow,” Charles said, “Until then might I suggest we return to your engagement party before everyone thinks there’s a problem.”

“Eloping! Ha, the man wouldn’t dare! She’s got too many friends here. He’s part of us now, and he wants to drag her to Vegas for a tacky chapel elopement,” Scott shuddered as he muttered walking next to the Professor’s chair. “Not if I have anything to say about it! He can bloody well stand up in front of everyone like everyone else around here! I mean we’re all mutants, what’s the point of doing an elopement. Should have the guts to stand up on display like every nervous groom - even if he is worse tempered than most.”

Chuckling Charles allowed Scott to enter the auditorium easily, before gliding into the room. Oh yes it was definitely good to be home even if he didn’t get half the changes that had occurred during his absence. Breathing a soft sigh of relief, Charles eyed the roomful of students, staff, friends, and family and smiled. Everything was as it should be, as he knew it would be even if he was forced to admit a little earlier than anyone had anticipated - himself included.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=823