The Envious Moon by Victoria P
Summary: "I lurk at the edge of their awareness, not yet glimpsed in full. But my time is coming."
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: General
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 456 Read: 4795 Published: 07/17/2001 Updated: 07/17/2001

1. Chapter 1 by Victoria P

Chapter 1 by Victoria P
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete. This is what happens when you're jacked up on smack - er - caffeine, and you know you have to be up early, but you can't sleep. So you starting thinking Logan and Shakespeare works his way in, and then your mind, used to making strange connections, comes up with U2, and thus a fic is born...


To view the beautiful artwork Deejay created for this story, click here

She's like the sun -- rich, fiery, beautiful. Red, gold and green, bringing light and warmth wherever she goes. The whole world orbits around her.

Scott and Logan circle, always in her wake. Scott glowers and Logan smirks as she plays them off against each other, always in control, always aware of how far she can push before the delicate balance they've set up comes tumbling down.

I hover, the shadow, the dark reflection of her glory. I watch, but am rarely seen. I am beneath her notice now -- my problematic stage both past and yet to come. Only Logan knows when I've been and gone, watching their charade -- my scent gives me away, and I no longer try to hide it.

Scott and Logan circle me, as well, though for different reasons. They think of themselves as my brothers, my keepers, my protectors; each guarding me against the other's insidious influence. Guarding me against my rightful place in their ménage -- the hidden corner that squares their triangle.

She owns the days -- a queen of light -- but the night is my time. I draw them to me like the tide. Logan knows now. I can see it in his eyes when he comes to comfort me after one of our shared nightmares. When night falls, he knows his place is at my side. He growls when Scott arrives at my door to make sure I'm all right.

I've learned to take sleep when I can get it. The early morning and the late afternoon hours are best -- the nightmares less frequent while the sun warms the earth.

I spend my nights studying, learning, growing. I wax and wane, whereas her mood is constant -- a given.

I lurk at the edge of their awareness, not yet glimpsed in full. But my time is coming.

She can keep Scott, her handsome consort. Powered by the sun, he would wither under my cold light, and I would hate to see his fire die.

But Logan is mine, to the depth of his being and the marrow of his metal bones. He is the wolf that howls in the dark, worshiping my glory. Though I shine only by reflection, I exert my pull on him, and when my hour is at hand, he'll come to me, as the tide comes to the shore. Inevitably.

I shall eclipse her in his life, and the envious moon shall rise and not be dimmed.

End



"Arise fair sun, and kill the envious moon." Romeo & Juliet, William Shakespeare

"They say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by the moon; you know I don't see you when she walks in the room" - "The Fly" - U2
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=726