Voyages by Shadowlady
Summary: Rogue takes a holiday and meets a stranger.
Categories: X3, AU Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 33653 Read: 87292 Published: 02/01/2007 Updated: 02/10/2007

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

2. Chapter 2 by Shadowlady

3. Chapter 3 by Shadowlady

4. Chapter 4 by Shadowlady

5. Chapter 5 by Shadowlady

6. Chapter 6 by Shadowlady

7. Chapter 7 by Shadowlady

8. Chapter 8 by Shadowlady

9. Chapter 9 by Shadowlady

10. Chapter 10 by Shadowlady

11. Chapter 11 by Shadowlady

12. Chapter 12 by Shadowlady

13. Chapter 13 by Shadowlady

14. Chapter 14 by Shadowlady

15. Chapter 15 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
Author's Notes:
Thanks so much to Jenni for the beta and the ideas.

If you're wondering about the rating the NC17 stuff comes later! Enjoy!
Tucking the last of the attire she’d deemed necessary into her bag, Rogue glanced around her room once more. She’d grown in this room, grown from a scared, half-starved runaway into a woman who was confident within her own skin. Smirking slightly at the pun, she shook her head but refused to back down from the thought. Within these four walls she’d learned that her skin was merely another part of her. Another facet of her identity, one that she knew at least one other person on the planet accepted completely.

Smiling sadly Rogue licked her lips and glanced around the room again. There was so much of her within these walls, so many things she’d collected, and yet each also bore the touch of a gruff loner who liked nothing more than a good fight. Shaking her head Rogue exhaled sharply as she thought of Logan. Nine months after Jean had defected to the Brotherhood, leaving several of the mansion residents... including the Professor... in serious condition, Logan had packed up and left. There had been no indications from him of unrest, no warning at all. Rogue had been awoken by the sound of a motorcycle leaving the grounds and rushed to the window to watch the fading taillight of Logan’s Harley disappear down the driveway.

Of course he’d called since then, even written a few times, but he’d never revealed where he was or what he was doing. If it hurt that he didn’t trust her with that knowledge, she refused to acknowledge it; instead she treasured the indication that he still thought about her which the fact that he called at all revealed.

“Rogue, the cab is here,” the soft, calm tone had Rogue smiling as she gathered her bags. Turning to the door she nodded at Storm who stood smiling softly at her.

“Thanks,” she owed herself this reward, this break from the ordinary monotony of her world, “You sure you can handle me being gone for so long?”

Chuckling, Storm nodded, “We’ll get by. Have fun and relax okay?”

“I’ve got my cell phone and will touch base with y’all regularly. And I haven’t forgotten that I need to invest in lots of trinkets for everyone.”

“Have fun,” ‘Ro replied softly as Rogue walked beside her down the staircase to the main doors. “And don’t worry about your skin. Being ‘on’ doesn’t mean anything bad is going to happen. Enjoy yourself, relax, and quit worrying about things we can’t do anything about.”

“I’ll see you in a few months,” Rogue nodded and smiled a friendly, understanding smile at ‘Ro’s words. The supposed cure was a fake, it had lasted a few months but like everything else in her life had come full circle and the part of her that had been ripped away, that part of her soul had come back with a vengeance. She’d nearly freaked when she’d woken one morning with an all too familiar tingle in her fingers, a current that raced along her skin with careless abandon.

She’d spent the day crying softly before she’d forced herself out of bed, out of her room and into the regular things that were happening around the mansion. She refused to let that damn mutation kill her, refused to let it defeat her and so she’d done what she had to … kept on living. Didn’t mean it didn’t hurt, it just meant that she’d dealt with her fear and realized that with the right encouragement, the right reward, she would force herself to learn to control it.

It was one of the reasons she was taking off on this trip. If she could learn to touch, if she could learn how to be ‘safe’ maybe Logan would want her… slamming the door on those thoughts she smiled at Storm and hurried out the door to the running taxi cab that sat in the driveway.

“See you in a few months then,” Storm agreed watching Rogue hurry to the cab and climb in. Waving she watched Rogue close the cab door, watched as the yellow car disappeared down the driveway. Not for the first time did she wish Rogue all the happiness she deserved but had not found here at the mansion.


Smiling at the view, Rogue scanned the expanse of clear, rippling blue water that was the Atlantic Ocean. Inhaling, she closed her eyes and let the smell of salt water wash over her, soothing her mind and body even as she felt the gentle rocking of the boat beneath her feet.

With an indulgent look at her reflection, Rogue grabbed a dark green bikini set and slipped into it before wrapping a matching sarong around her waist and moving to sit out on her private deck.

She’d been admittedly surprised when she’d shown up for boarding only to find that the cruise ship she was expecting wasn’t what she’d be cruising on. Instead of a huge monstrosity she’d been led up the gang plank of what was obviously a privately owned or rented yacht.

The Captain, a tall, lean man with warm blue eyes had met her and offered his arm to show her around. She’d gracefully accepted the invitation and gotten a tour even as he explained the safety rules of the yacht and introduced her to several of the other guests.

Having been the last to board, she’d also been a little late and thus had missed the group tour. She noticed the blonde standing a little ways off eying her and the captain and wondered about it as the blonde’s face twisted into rage.

“Who’s that?” Rogue inquired, nodding at the blonde who stomped off the deck and headed below.

“That would be Cherie,” the Captain drawled with a soft chuckle. “She’s a handful that one. Been on these cruises twice and still hasn’t figured out that just because she’s riding on the yacht doesn’t mean she’s got a handle on the Captain. I do hope you won’t have too much to worry about with her, she’s the jealous type, I think.”

“I’m sure I’ll get along just fine,” Rogue replied with a soft smile and nod as they moved along to where the lifeboats hung.

Introductions to the crew were quick, professional, and Rogue was grateful when the tour concluded as she made her way to her stateroom. Slipping inside she stared at the room itself for a few seconds before grinning and moving to lie down on her bed. Decorated in natural woods and gold the entire yacht was something out of a romance novel and Rogue had felt immediately at ease with the crew. The fact that she was a mutant hadn’t bothered any of the crew; in fact a couple had actually smiled at her and played it down like it was nothing when she’d given the captain the warning about her skin – better to air on the side of caution she figured rather than risk them finding out after a bad accident.

If she had been surprised at the boat itself, Rogue had to admit she had been shocked at the stateroom she’d been given. A huge queen bed sat in the middle with white and gold linens on it. Her private bath had a shower in it, along with adequate lighting for makeup application, freshly laundered towels, and bottles upon bottles of shower gels. Obviously it wasn’t going to be just another boring old cruise like she’d heard about.

She’d kept to herself for the past week, just needing time to unwind, to relax and enjoy the fresh air. It had taken a formal invitation from the captain to get her to think about dining with the others guests tonight, and for once she was actually looking forward to it, missing the camaraderie inherent to shared meals after getting so used to them at Xavier’s.

Determined to enjoy herself, Rogue refused to dwell on anything to do with the mansion, with the pain of knowing that many of her friends had suffered in the past months. She couldn’t keep thoughts of Logan out of her mind, but then she’d never really tried to keep those thoughts contained. Logan was, after all, the only one who truly mattered to her.

The warm salty breeze that ruffled the sheer drapes of her stateroom teased the strands of Rogue’s hair as she clipped it into place. Reaching for the long, dark silk scarf she’d decided to wear to dinner along with her gloves, she glanced at her reflection with a sad smile before slipping on her shoes and heading for the door.

Smoothing the dark silk of her dress over her curves, she headed for dinner, trying to keep the anxiety that came with interacting with strangers down to a bare minimum. With a genuine smile, Rogue slipped into the dining room and nodded briefly at the other occupants.

An older, gray-haired couple stood off to the side, their heads close together, like they were speaking to only each other. From the way they were dressed, Rogue knew they had to be wealthy; the tailored clothes spoke of familiar wealth. In fact, the man reminded her of the Professor and the way he often dressed.

Standing next to the stairwell was the tall, curvaceous blonde with a dress cut down to there, high heels, and a sour look on her face as she glanced disdainfully at Rogue who shrugged. The woman obviously hadn’t figured out that Rogue wasn’t chasing the captain, or anyone else on board for that matter.

Her eyes skipped across the room to the bar and Rogue turned her head slightly to stare in amazement at the broad shouldered figure standing drinking bourbon, his back to the gathered guests.

His dark curls were tamed down, long enough to brush his collar in the back. A charcoal grey suit hugged every curve, every inch of his body from his shoulders to his lean hips and muscular thighs. Eying him quietly, Rogue wondered briefly who he was, even as he turned to reveal a clean shaven face.

His square jaw held the shadow of a full beard, his lips were full, masculine, and Rogue wondered if he knew he looked like he was supposed to be kissed a lot. A pair of dark-lensed designer glasses covered his eyes; much like a familiar visor did on someone back home. Shivering at the sudden sense of deja-vu she glanced away from the familiarity wrapped around the man. Instead she turned her attention to the lovely table that sat awaiting their presence. Rogue moved to the beautifully set dinner table. Taking a seat, she reached for her napkin and slid it into her lap.

“Good evening,” she smiled at the older woman who sat down on her right.

“Good evening,” the woman replied warmly. “I’m Elisa Monroe; this is my husband, Frank.”

“Howdy,” the man nodded at her as he sat next to his wife.

“Rogue,” she held out her gloved right hand, not really expecting it to be taken but willing to show her manners. She hid her shock when the older woman took the hand and shook it quickly, firmly. There was no indication of fear or loathing from the older woman and Rogue was immediately grateful.

“It’s good of you to join us. We noticed that you were last to board and the Captain gave you the safety tour but we haven’t seen you since then, I do hope you haven’t been ill,” Elisa stated quickly as a waiter appeared to pour a glass of champagne.

“Oh no,” Rogue shook her head quickly in denial. “I was merely relaxing. I live and work in a very crowded facility so it was a relief to have some space to myself. That and I’ve never been on a boat before so I needed a little time to settle in.”

“Oh yes, I remember my first voyage,” Elisa chuckled easily. “It was for our honeymoon, and we took an Alaskan cruise. I loved it. Are you enjoying the ship?”

“Yes, yes I am,” Rogue replied as the blonde joined them followed quite quickly by the man from the bar, who settled in the seat on Rogue’s other side.

“I’m Cherie,” the blonde snapped waspishly, “My husband decided I need to relax so I’m stuck aboard this floating tin can.”

“I’m... uh not sure...” Rogue started, shocked at the mention of the woman’s husband. From what the Captain had said, she’d assumed the woman was single and looking for a wealthy husband.


“Oh don’t mind her, she’s been like that since we met her the first day,” Frank said quickly a frown crossing his face at the blonde’s lack of manners. “I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying yourself. And it’s a pleasure to have such a beautiful young woman grace us with her presence, right Els?”

“Indeed. We are delighted,” the woman smiled.

Rogue smiled thankfully and glanced at the man sitting to her left, “Are you, uh, enjoying yourself as well?”

The tip of his dark head was the only answer, that and a faint smile.

The discreet cough from behind her had everyone including Rogue glancing up at the tall, well dressed waiter, “Mister Mustelidae doesn’t speak. He has other means of communication though.”

With a glance at the man the waiter quickly smiled, “I can fetch your translator easily.”

A wave of a hand accompanied a shake of his head and the man turned to smile at Rogue and offer his hand to be shaken. His grip was firm, warm and familiar. Rogue smiled back softly before glancing away, hoping no one noticed her slight flushed expression. The familiarity about the man had her heart pounding, and she wondered what it was about him that appealed to her.
Chapter 2 by Shadowlady
Two hours later, Rogue pushed her dessert plate aside and smiled at the waiter as he quickly moved it out of her way. Sitting back slightly in her chair she took a sip of her drink before dabbing at her mouth with her napkin.

She liked the Monroes, and she liked the silent Mr. Mustelidae… however she could clearly do without Cherie. With a soft nod she rose only to glance at her dining companion who rose with her, “I believe I’ve had enough socializing for this evening. If you’ll excuse me I think...” she paused at the gentle touch on her arm.

Turning her head she noticed Mr. Mustelidae smiling and raised an eyebrow. When he merely offered her his arm she smiled softly and nodded, gracefully taking it and following his lead. When he led her out of the dining area and up to the library she wondered if he wanted to just relax or if he wanted something else.

Seated next to the massive bookshelf, Rogue watched him settle into a chair next to her and touch his mouth then his chest then gesture to her. Chuckling softly, she shrugged as she realized she did in fact understand what he was saying.

“There ain’t that much to tell,” Rogue admitted softly as she stared at him. “I’m originally from Mississippi, but now I live in New York via Canada.”

The wave of a hand indicated he wanted her to continue and she nodded slightly, “I, uh, just graduated high school and after this cruise I’m gonna start taking advanced college preparation classes. I want to teach, art mainly. Logan thinks I’m pretty good, says I have talent.”

At the mention of the male name her companion frowned slightly and gestured for her to explain, “Oh, sorry. I’m so used to everyone knowing who Logan is that I don’t really think about it anymore. Logan’s my best friend, my guardian angel, and my conscience. He’s risked his life for me more than once and I know he’ll just keep doing it. Logan loves me, loves the way I see him. He just doesn’t love me like a man loves the woman he wants,” Rogue admitted sadly before smiling brightly, “That’s okay though. I love him enough for both of us.”

A silent nod and the expression of interest encouraged her to continue.

Hours later the booming of a grandfather clock had Rogue glancing up to stare at the clock, “Goodness look at the time!” she rose quickly and turned to Mr. Mustelidae, “I am so sorry. I didn’t realize it had gotten so late. I’ve just been prattling on.”

Rising to stand opposite her, he shook his head and waved off her protests before offering a smile and a gentle kiss to the back of her hand. A warm hand at her lower back had her moving toward the door as she bid him goodnight and slipped off to her stateroom.



Kicking her shoes off Rogue peeled off her dress and draped it over a chair even as she moved to the bed. A glance at the clock revealed it was nearly three in the morning and she was slightly amazed at that. She rarely stayed up so late, but it had been nice to talk to someone who was willing to listen to her talk about her life, her dreams. Of course she knew that it helped that he wasn’t Logan, that he wouldn’t understand what she meant about living with Logan forever… but then who would. Not many people even knew how she felt about the gruff man who’d risked his life for her more than once.

Pulling the blankets back, Rogue slipped under the blankets and snuggled down into the silk sheets. Pulling a pillow down to her she clung to it as she stared out the window for a moment.

“Good night, Logan, I love you,” she whispered closing her eyes and letting sleep claim her.



The silent curl of cigar smoke drifted above his head on the soft ocean breeze even as the dark figured moved through the night until he was leaning against the railing on a private deck not his own. Hazel eyes scanned the area, settling on the sleeping woman inside the adjoining cabin with warmth, affection, and longing. “Sleep well, my love, sleep well.”

The dark suit was tossed aside as he stalked back into his own cabin and into the shower, a slight smirk on his face. Tilting his face up to the pounding water he raked his hands through his hair, his fingers scratching at the dark strands, scrubbing at the absurd amounts of gel it took to tame it into an unfamiliar style.

No one knew of his little deceit and he wouldn’t reveal it just yet. He had too much at stake, too many loose ends to tie up before he and Marie got back to New York. After all he never gave up on something he wanted, and what he wanted was within his grasp, he just had to reel it in.



With the wide brimmed sun hat perched atop her head Rogue moved down the row of vendors, her gaze searching. Pausing before an older woman who sat beading what appeared to be an elegant necklace, Rogue smiled softly.

“Hello,” she spoke easily, warmly, and was reward with a kind smile.

“Hello, what can I get you?” the old woman asked softly, her fingers not stopping in their never ending movements.

“I’m looking for something special, a gift for a very close friend.”

“Oh? What kind of gift are you looking for?”

“She likes yellow a lot,” Rogue chuckled, “I was kinda hoping for something that would be sparkly, flamboyant, and yellow.”

The old woman cackled in mirth and reached to her left. She pulled out a long string of what appeared to be yellow stones. Each stone was cut into a unique shape, and none were any larger than one square inch. “How about this? It is not too much..”

“Perfect, I’ll take it,” Rogue said handing over some cash and taking the item. Tucking it into her bag she moved away from the old woman with a smile and a wave. Catching sight of her fellow cruisers she nodded briefly in their direction before following the cobblestone road toward the beach.

The sea breeze had her hair flying in all directions and she laughed softly but didn’t attempt to contain it. Taking off her sandals, she walked through the warm, white sand, her eyes on the rolling blue of the ocean. She knew Logan would love the scenery, love the openness of it all – even if he wasn’t too fond of water.

With a sigh she bent to pick up a piece of wood as she thought of the man who’d suddenly dropped off the face of the Earth. She loved him, loved the way he looked at her, talked to her, and protected her. She just wanted more than to be his friend and she knew it bothered him because he wasn’t comfortable with anyone caring about him.

The sudden shadow on the sand had her whipping around to stare at the now familiar figure that was walking along, his shoes in one hand, a white top rolled up over well muscled forearms.

“You startled me,” Rogue gasped and smiled softly. “I wasn’t expecting anyone to join me.”

*You seemed pensive,* he replied quickly, *And someone as pretty as you should never be alone, especially in such a romantic place.*

Rogue flushed slightly and shrugged suddenly glad that she’d taken the time to learn sign language the year before – back when she was still a girl, “Just thinking of someone back home.”

Mr. Mustelidae nodded, an expression of understanding on his face. With a slight smile he gestured down the beach and Rogue turned to walk with him down the warm sand, the waves slowly lapping at her feet.


Dusk found her in her cabin, piling the gifts she’d picked out along one wall. Changing from her shorts and t-shirt into the usual floral print summer dress, Rogue headed for dinner.

“I see you brought a lot of rubbish with you,” Cherie drawled as she settled next to Mr. Mustelidae and smiled at him sweetly, leaning forward slightly to show more than a hint of cleavage.

“Rubbish?” Rogue asked softly, lethally.

“You brought a stick and a bunch of rocks polished by some old woman on back with you. You don’t consider those rubbish?”

“No, I don’t,” Rogue replied. “Because they happen to be personal items, gifts for special people.”

“Oh, I forgot you mutants do things in odd ways. So the exchange of drift wood is considered proper etiquette amongst the freaks, is it?” Cherie snapped taking a long sip of her wine. “And here I thought you were trying to develop your wealth and status.”

“No,” Rogue replied stiffly. “I’d rather be myself than some stuck up snob who spends all her time chasing after every man on board.”

Rising she glared at the other woman a moment before she turned to address the rest of those gathered, “Excuse me, please. I’ve suddenly lost my appetite.” Tossing her napkin on the table she turned and stalked out of the dining area. That damn woman was purposely trying to ruin this cruise for her and she was determined not to let her.






Tapping her feet to the sultry beat of a saxophone Rogue watched a pod of dolphins playing as she listened to the phone ringing on the other end. They were into week two and somewhere in the middle of the ocean after a two day stay on the St. Thomas Islands.

Several packages sat atop her desk, too small to be with the rest of them, too delicate to just leave lying about, indications of Rogue’s penchant for hunting down something for everyone. Granted most of the gifts were not purchased in any store but still, they each held some meaning.

“Hello, Xavier’s Institute for Gifted Youngsters,” the familiar voice sounded more professional than usual and Rogue grinned.

“Hey, Jubes,” Rogue giggled at the tone of her friend’s voice. “You practicing to be a receptionist?”

“Very funny, Miss Thang,” Jubilee replied with laughter in her voice, the echo of her cracking her gum filling Rogue’s ear. “How’s the boat?”

“Great,” Rogue chuckled and exhaled as she lounged on her deck chair. “I think they got me mixed up with someone else though.”

“Oh, why? They stick you in one of those sardine can bedrooms?”

“No, actually my stateroom is, well, huge. I have a queen bed, a full bathroom, desk and chair, full sized closet,” Rogue chuckled. “Actually it’s just a smaller ship than I thought it would be. I asked the captain, and he said this is a seventy-five foot yacht.”

“Wow, so any cuties on board?” Jubilee cracked her gum.

Rogue laughed at the question. How like Jubilee to immediately bypass everything and focus on the whole ‘boys’ scene, “No, actually, there aren’t. At least none besides the two lounge workers and Mr. Mustelidae.”

“Who?” Jubes asked, “And why does that name sound so familiar?”

“There are only four other passengers besides me, this nice older couple the Monroe’s, and Cherie,” Rogue shuddered at the name, “and this guy who is well, really nice. He’s got dark hair, lean hips, and a mouth that’s so kissable. He’s got the muscles of a god, even if he never reveals them. You see him in a suit all the time,” she elaborated quickly. “Really quiet, never says a word.”

“Why not? Something wrong with him?”

“I think he’s mute,” Rogue shrugged and glanced behind her at the soft knock on her stateroom door, “Yes?”

“I have an invitation for you,” the familiar voice of one of the crew members had Rogue sighing.

“Hang on a second, Jubilee, I have to get the door,” Rogue said padding over to open the door and take the note from the young woman who held it out. She smiled gratefully and closed the door before heading back for her lounging area. “So what’s up with you and the mansion crew?”

“Kitty and Bobby are going at it like mink. Scott and ‘Ro are dating lightly. I don’t think either of them wants to rush into anything. Hank’s working on something in the lab, and driving everyone nuts with it so far.”

“That’s just Hank,” Rogue stated calmly, a smile crossing her face at the thought of the big, furry, blue guy everyone knew and loved.

“I know, but it would be nice if he’d just, you know, come out of hiding once in the odd while,” Jubilee pouted.

“Someone likes him a little more than just as a friend,” Rogue giggled at Jubes’ indignant gasp. “Relax Jubes; things will work out in the end. I know Hank likes you; all you have to do is build on it. Go down and spend time with him, take him lunch or something.”

“Okay, but if he bites my head off I’m gonna haunt you for the remainder of your life.”

“Deal,” Rogue laughed softly. “So I guess I should get off this phone and make myself useful. I’ve got some serious lounging to do you know.”

“Yeah,” Jubilee paused and sighed, “Logan ain’t called since you left.”

Rogue sighed softly, her smile fading as she remembered what had been said during the last call between her and Logan, “I didn’t think he would. I told him I was going on a cruise for a few months.”

“He didn’t take it well, did he?”

Rogue laughed sadly, “No, but then we’ve never done things the easy way. I guess it’s the side effect of having shared the same mind for a while. I gotta go, Jubilee, I’ll call back soon.”

Sinking onto the edge of the bed Rogue stared at the ocean, barely aware of the tears in her eyes as she realized that Logan had taken her words at face value. When she’d told him she was going be out of touch for a while, that she needed to get away from everyone, he’d obviously assumed she meant him too.

Shivering as she remembered the coldness in his tone when he’d said he’d touch base in a few months if he remembered, she swallowed painfully. Loving him had never been easy, never been painless, but the fact that *she’d* hurt *him* this time weighed on her.

“Please, God, let him call. Let him still care enough to remember his promise, his obligation, if nothing else,” she prayed before glancing down at the envelope still clasped in her hand and pulling the card out.

Shaking her head at the invitation for drinks from the only other single guest on the cruise, she tossed it aside and curled up on her bed. She didn’t want to get involved with anyone, her heart belonged to someone who didn’t realize he held it, and she wasn’t ready to let anyone else tromp all over it. It was hard enough dealing with someone who appeared so secure with himself, but was really the opposite!
Chapter 3 by Shadowlady
Sitting at his lone table Mr. Mustelidae sipped at the glass of bourbon in front of him and stared out over the water. He didn’t doubt that Rogue wouldn’t join him; he knew she’d been on the phone with her friends back home. No, he waited for something much more dangerous than the slip of a girl that occupied his mind. He waited for the fear, the anxiety over her to rear its ugly head and destroy him.

Downing the last of the strong liquor quickly, he raised his glass at the young tuxedo-wearing crew member standing by the bar and waited for another drink. It had been too long since he’d relaxed, since he’d been somewhere his heart could rest easily. Too long since he’d seen the eyes of a beautiful woman filled with warmth, with laughter, and yes, with the love he so desperately needed.

He didn’t think for one minute that things would ever be easy but he was willing to do whatever was needed to be sure that she knew, that she understood, *why* if not *what* he was doing.

Accepting the glass of amber liquid with a nod, he glanced at the doorway once more before focusing his attention on the water, “Bring the bottle, Jack,” he muttered, grateful that the steward merely nodded and set the bottle down in front of him.

He had a lot of thinking, a lot of planning to do before the end of this little trip and he needed every ounce of courage he could muster. This wasn’t like kicking someone’s ass, this was about being what she needed him to be, what she needed …and deserved…to have in her life.

Glancing at the book to his right he smiled slightly, he still had four and a half months to prove it to her, four and a half months to show her what she meant to him even if it killed him.




Sitting in the warm tropical breeze Rogue sipped at her drink even as she struggled to contain her hair. The rapidly growing coastline didn’t hold her attention; rather the setting sun wrapping its warmth and golden light over her did.

She hadn’t called home in a few days, not since her talk with Jubilee, and she was feeling more than a little uneasy. What if Logan hadn’t called, what if he didn’t want anything more to do with her? What if he’d read more into her taking a vacation than she’d intended?

This cruise was supposed to be about her; about finding out who Rogue was, but so far all she’d done was cause herself pain and worry, and perhaps hurt Logan. She knew Logan needed to know where she was, needed to have some sort of contact with her because that’s the only way he could keep himself centered. It just hurt to know that she would never have more than that from him, never have what she really wanted.

The discreet sound of a cough from behind her had her glancing up to see Mr. Mustelidae standing there with a slight smile on his face. He gestured to a chair and she nodded, smiling politely.

“By all means,” Rogue said, shifting so he could sit down comfortably. She hid the bitterness that flooded her as she realized that he was spending an awful lot of time trying to think of ways to spend time with her. Not that she thought she had any reason to complain, he was charming and sweet, and he didn’t care that she was a mutant. No, she cared because out of everything he was it, it was what he *wasn’t* that bothered her. He wasn’t crass, gruff, unruly, loyal to a fault, and lined with adamantium.

“How are you today?” Rogue asked softly and was rewarded with a nod and a smile.

*Well,* he signed, glad that she’d been rather quick on the uptake with sign language. Made him wonder where she’d picked up the knowledge, not that he questioned it too deeply. Everyone, after all, was entitled to a few secrets. *And yourself?*

“Just a little homesick. Miss my friends, miss Logan.”

He nodded and gestured to the glass in her hand in a clear gesture she took to mean a query about another drink. Shaking her head she smiled and set the glass back on the table.

“Are you going to be completing the entire trip?” she asked softly.

Shaking his head he smiled at her, *No, I’ll be getting off in Greece. Flying home from there.*

“Where’s home if you don’t mind me asking?”

*Rocky Mountain House,* he replied quickly.

“Where’s that?”

The warm smile and a quick shrug were her only answer as he turned his attention to the view, *It’s beautiful, isn’t it? Almost as pretty as the ones back home for colors and warmth.*

“I’m sure your girlfriend or significant other would agree,” Rogue replied neutrally.

A quick nod and a wink, *I know she does. She just doesn’t know it yet,* he signed quickly before reaching for a glass of water.

Giggling Rogue nodded, “So you’ll be enjoying Spain, France, Italy, and Greece with us, huh? Bet you’ll be getting plenty of souvenirs. She’ll want a ton, I’m sure.”

*She’s not really a materialistic person. Prefers the real stuff, the things the heart chooses over the things the pocketbook can afford,* he replied seriously even as he smiled slightly. *Much like someone else I know.*

“How long will we be staying in port this time?” Rogue wondered softly.

*I imagine it will be long enough,* the soft reply echoed through the air. *I’m sure you’ll have plenty to do while here.*

Rogue nodded and sipped at her drink. She would do some shopping, take plenty of pictures and enjoy herself as much as she could without thinking of Logan. Growling softly at herself she stared down at the table, missing the secretive smile on her companion’s face at the sound.

*Well, if you’d like some company on a walking tour, please let me offer my services. I’m sure there are many beautiful sights to see.*

Rogue nodded and smiled, grateful. “Yes, thank you, I think it would be a wonderful way to pass the afternoon away.”

With a nod he rose and waved slightly before slipping away down the stairs into the cabin of the boat. Watching him go she frowned slightly at the easy way he had of walking, the sure, confident steps that reminded her of something. She pushed those nagging thoughts aside and turned her attention to focusing on herself and not Logan. She still had a handful of ports to get over him, and she intended to make things work out for herself.




The sheer white curtains billowed out the window onto the balcony of the hotel suite as Rogue slipped outside into the crisp evening air. She shuddered at the slight chill in the air and wrapped her arms around herself, her eyes focused on the horizon as her mind raced.

It had been months since she’d had a nightmare of Logan’s, months since his memories had haunted her and yet tonight, the first night in Spain that is exactly what had happened. The memory of being sliced open and molten metal poured over exposed bone was nauseating, a living, breathing agony that even now awake she couldn’t shake.

Frowning Rogue tried to think about what it was that had triggered the nightmare. She’d spent the entire afternoon merely walking the old, cobblestone streets with Mr. Mustelidae, talking, laughing, and just enjoying the sights and sounds. She’d done a little shopping, not really caring for anything that the high priced shops had provided; instead she’d bought things from the sidewalk vendors, items that were more personal, more reflective of the receiver than the wallet.

When Mr. Mustelidae had escorted her back to the hotel, he’d paused outside her door, kissed her gently and walked off down the hallway. Rogue had stared after him, her stomach twisting into knots even as she slipped inside.

Groaning Rogue shook her head, “It was just a friendly kiss,” she muttered to herself. “It’s not like I betrayed Logan, we’re not even dating!”

Still the nagging, haunted feeling she always had after a nightmare didn’t fade, instead her stomach protested her words with a violent upheaval and a wave of nausea that had her running to the bathroom.

Sitting on the cold tile floor on a towel, Rogue shook her head as she leaned against the wall. She needed to be brutally honest with herself; she needed to face what was happening in her life. In her co-cruiser Mr. M she’d found someone she could talk to, someone who didn’t always turn away from emotions, rather he encouraged her to speak of her home, her friends, her life, and her dreams. He didn’t call her on her attraction to Logan, didn’t try to make her feel foolish about it and actually encouraged it – even if he had kissed her

Groaning she slapped her forehead and rested it against the cold porcelain of the toilet, “Oh God what am I doing?” she whispered tearfully, aware of the tiny little details she’d missed before like the butterflies in her stomach when he smiled at her, or the tingle she got through a glove when he touched her arm, her hand, put his hand on her lower back to usher her through a doorway and into a room. She’d been fighting an attraction to him and it sickened her, she *loved* Logan, she wouldn’t betray him like that.

~But you’re not betraying him. The man hasn’t even called you; he won’t admit he cares about you or nothing. Besides, it’s not like you’ve had sex with Mr. M, ~ the annoying little buzz of her conscience tickled at her mind.

“I love Logan, I shouldn’t be attracted to anyone,” Rogue moaned softly. “Oh God I have to face Mr. M in the morning, I have to talk to him.

~And tell him what? Hi, I’m attracted to you so we need to stop hanging out because I’m clinging to the memory of a man who doesn’t give a damn. ~

“Shut up,” Rogue hissed to herself, “It’s not like you’d know anything anyway.”

The sudden mental silence was more uncomfortable than the voices. With a quick shake of her head Rogue rose to her feet and padded into her bedroom to grab her cell phone. Dialing a now familiar number she waited for it to ring.


“Hello, Xavier’s School for the Gifted,” the tired sounding voice had Rogue cringing.

“Hello Mister Summers,” Rogue flopped down on her bed, “I’m sorry. I didn’t wake you, did I?”

“No,” Scott replied seriously, “I was up grading papers. What can I do for you, Rogue?”

“Just wanted to check in. I’m in Spain now; we’ll be leaving for France in the morning.”

“Are you enjoying your trip?”

“Yes and no,” Rogue sighed wondering just how much to tell him. “I miss everyone.”

“You mean you miss Logan,” there was a soft thread of understanding and laughter in his voice. “And that’s okay. You’ve been close to him for a really long time, Rogue; he’s saved your life. It’s okay to miss the man.”

“I don’t suppose..”

“Yes, he called. About an hour ago,” Scott admitted quickly, “Said to tell you that he’s been out in the boondocks and hasn’t had a chance to call before now. Said to tell you and I quote, ‘tell the kid I’m sorry, I miss her and hope she has fun’; end quote.”

Rogue grinned at that and shuddered happily, “At least he’s not mad at me.”

“He sounded tired if that’s any consolation.”

“It is, I’d better go, Mister Summers. Let you get back to your work.”

“Hey Rogue, I’m glad you’re doing this, that you’re taking this cruise. You need it.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’ve been so keen to please around here that you’ve forgotten who you are, who you’re supposed to be. This cruise gives you a chance to find out who you are again.”

Rogue nodded and sighed, “Perhaps, but right now it’s more confusing than anything.”

“But at least you’re making headway, right? I mean you’re not a tangled mess of voices like before.”

Rogue shrugged quickly, “I guess. Goodbye, Mister Summers.”

“Bye, Rogue,” Scott stated quickly.

Tossing the phone aside Rogue smiled, Logan had called and left a message for her. That must mean he cares, perhaps not as much as she’d like but it was a sign. Pulling the blankets up over her she snuggled down into bed and closed her eyes, she would have to find a way to control her attraction to the handsome man on board the boat. She couldn’t, wouldn’t, risk destroying any newfound ground with Logan.


From outside the suite’s door, the soft smile that played over his face showed more than a little emotional pleasure. Pushing away from the door, he stalked down the hallway, the lights illuminating worn jeans, white muscle shirt, heavy boots, and a large, worn buckle. The dark hair that was so closely tamed during the day was in disarray, the dark glasses so familiar during the day were gone, revealing dark eyes that were filled with laughter, and a softness, and pleasure. He still had time, still had ports of call to make before he went back. When he left he would leave her with the memory of a good time, and it was high time he turned up the heat.

Closing his room door he glanced at the phone by the bed and reached for it.

“Front desk,” the warm greeting drew a roll of the eyes but he settled on the bed anyway.

“I want a delivery done.”

“Certainly,” the woman’s voice agreed.

Frowning, he searched his mind until he grinned, “You got a flower shop?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good, I want a bouquet of Freesia, Huckleberry, Roses, make that Red Roses, Lilies and baby’s breath,” the order was ground out. “And I want them delivered no later than six am.”

“I will do my best.”

“You will deliver them,” he ground out, uncomfortable with the thought of ordering flowers in the first place. “No later than six am.”

“Yes, sir.”

Satisfied that his plan was going right along, he smirked and flopped back onto his bed. Glancing at the clock he grinned before reaching for the bottle of beer left sitting on the bedside table. Tomorrow was another day, and he would enjoy it, and enjoy her.
Chapter 4 by Shadowlady
With the beautiful bouquet she’d gotten that morning in hand, Rogue slipped out of her suite and into the hallway. Turning she almost bumped into the rather muscular chest of the figure that was standing in the hall.

Glancing up into the familiar glasses of Mr. M, Rogue flushed slightly, “Good morning.”

*The same to you,* he replied with a warm grin, *Can I get that for you?* he pointed at the bag at her feet.

“Uh, no, thank you,” Rogue shook her head quickly. “I’ll be fine with it.”

With a patient nod, he fell into step with the young woman who kept sniffing at the flowers and hid a grin. She deserved flowers, deserved silk, diamonds, but he knew deep down that she’d be more grateful for the battered old hunk of metal that had once adorned her throat.

Glancing at her out of the corner of his eye he sighed, obviously she felt a little uncomfortable with him and he wondered what had happened. Suddenly impatient to be back on the boat he cursed the routine even as they climbed into the hotel supplied limo and headed for the docks.



Stepping into his room he closed the door quietly, firmly and moved to sit on his bed. Reaching into his pocket he pulled out the small, silver item that had been stashed there and flicked it open.

Punching in the numbers, he leaned back against the pillows and stared out at the clear blue of the Mediterranean skies. Counting the rings impatiently, he growled as the distinct click of the line being picked up filled his ears.

”Hello..”

“Did you get it?” he growled into the phone and waited impatiently for a response.

“Get it?” the soft query drew a frown, “Uh, what exactly is ‘it’?”

“A rather large parcel should have arrived from St. Thomas a few days ago.”

“Oh yeah, that. It arrived via courier and I put it upstairs. Why, you want me to forward it somewhere?”

“No, just keep it safe. She phone?”

“Not in a few days. That I know of anyway. Hey how do you know..”

“Just shut up and listen, pipsqueak,” he snarled. “There are more coming, and I want them put aside for her. Guard them with your miserable little life or I’ll make sure you meet the same fate as those parcels.”

The soft gasp and swallow from the other end of the phone drew a grin as he hung up unceremoniously. They were still blissfully in the dark and he had time to get a little further in his seduction of one southern lady.

Propping his feet on the end of the bed he withdrew a cigar and lit it, inhaling the rich taste easily, quickly even as he glanced out the window. Another couple of days and they’d be reaching port again and he wanted to get closer to her, close enough to make her see that she wasn’t some monster even though she thought it.

With a sigh he shook his head, he knew what the point of this cruise was, the reason she’d left the mansion behind and it had bothered him immensely until he’d realized that it would work in his favor. He could do this; he could make her see what she was to him even if it killed him.

“Damn it why couldn’t she have gone skiing or something?” The cold of the Canadian winter would have suited him but he knew she needed to be as far from it as she could get. This was her way of saying she was trying to gain her life back, trying to find her identity apart from him.

Wishing for a good beer and a cage to fight in, he slid off the bed and stalked to the balcony doors. Staring out of them, he wished the ship was a little closer to port. Smirking to himself he decided to play it as though they were as close as two people could be.



Pacing as she waited impatiently for her dinner to arrive, Rogue sighed. She wanted to talk to Logan, wanted to tell him the truth but knew beyond a doubt he wouldn’t believe her. After all how could she tell him that she had come on this trip to forget him but it wasn’t working.

Cursing at her own stupidity she whirled to face the door at the soft knock before scurrying over to open it, “Thank you, I just..” her voice trailed off as she stared at the one person she was attempting to avoid. “Uh, good evening, Mr. M.”

*You not feeling well?* he signed, *Wanting to eat alone is not good if you’re not well. You should have company.*

Brushing past Rogue who stood gaping at him, he set the tray he carried down on the small deck table and took the covers off to reveal two plates, “You, uh, brought me dinner?”

*But of course,* he smiled at her, a brief hint of white teeth in the semi-darkness. *After all we did have plans for this evening.*

“We did?” she frowned, a knot forming in her stomach. “I, uh, forgot..”

*That’s okay,* he replied seriously holding the chair for her. *I really didn’t want to sit through another evening meal with Cherie.*

Smiling at the derision in his tone, Rogue shrugged, “She seemed to be in a bit of a snit today.”

*I heard the Captain say her husband will be joining us when we reach the next port. Something about he wants to finish the cruise with her.*

“Uh, I’m not sure that’s a wise decision,” Rogue sighed as she settled at the table. “If he’s half as annoying and disgusting as she is then we’re in for a rough trip.”

*Well you are at least. I’m leaving you in Greece, remember?*

Rogue nodded and sighed, she wished he would growl or something that would remind her of Logan but knew it was beyond the man. He couldn’t be Logan anymore than she could ignore the niggling attraction she felt to him.

Eating quickly, hoping that she could get rid of him before she did something completely stupid, Rogue nodded at the soft look on his face when he pointed to her plate. “I guess I was hungrier than I thought,” she said by way of explanation of her now empty plate.

The soft smile on his face, and the warm look in his eyes had her shifting uneasily. Taking the glass of wine he offered, she took a small sip and turned her attention to the growing darkness surrounding them.

There had been many nights when she’d watched the stars and waited impatiently for Logan, but this was different. Tonight she couldn’t focus on him; tonight she had to act like a gracious lady, like a hostess and she longed for the simplicity of her life back at the mansion.

*You seem a little sad. Still missing your friend?*

Rogue shrugged and played with the column of her wineglass. “I guess. Yeah, yeah, I do miss him. I miss the growly way he had of talking to me, the safe, warm feeling I had whenever he hugged me. Mostly though I miss the way he was never scared to touch me, talk to me… Sorry,” she flushed at the expectant look on her guest’s face. “I didn’t mean to get all Oprah on you.”

*Not at all. He seems like a very dear friend.*

“He is,” Rogue sighed softly, painfully as she drained her glass. “I just wish he was more. I want him to love me the way Scott loves Jean, all encompassing, totally, body, soul, heart, and mind. I know he doesn’t though. I know he won’t ever love me like that but still… I can’t help wanting that, wanting to be loved.”

*You never know. From what you’ve told me of this man, perhaps you’re better off without him. He is after all a wild, reckless sort, without compunction about killing.*

Rogue shrugged angrily and rose, “But that’s not who he is. It’s just who he was made into. Logan isn’t a bad person, he’s just dealing with so much shit that…”

*You’re defending him leads me to think that perhaps there’s something more than just what you see.*

“What do you mean?”

*Would he defend you? Would he risk alienating everyone around him to be with you? To help you?*

“Yes,” Rogue nodded quickly, “He’s killed himself twice for me. He’s been willing to give me his life, his gifts, his powers, his very mind.. I just want the rest of him.”

With a quick nod of understanding Mr. M rose and moved over to where she stood against the railing, reaching up he cupped her cheek in his hand and smiled down at her. *There comes a time though when you must put yourself first, Rogue. You have to consider that he may never be able to give you what you so desperately seek. Can you deal with that?*

Swallowing, Rogue felt her eyes burn and blinked. Pushing away from Mr. M she put a few inches between them, “He wouldn’t do that. Logan is the best thing in my life…”

*Logan isn’t here,* he pointed out quickly and moved to pull her a little closer to him. Tucking her under his shoulder, he sighed and squeezed her gently, *You once told me that love is a fairytale. I don’t know. I’m not an expert on fairytales, but I do know this – in the real world there are no happily everafters. You have to work at it.*

Rogue shrugged away from him, “But you don’t know Logan, I do. I understand him and you’re just making a judgment based on what? Your own personal prejudices? Why can’t…” sobbing, she raked a hand through her hair as she struggled with her own emotions. “Please just go. I don’t want to talk about this any longer. I don’t have to defend my choices, not to you, not to anyone.”

With a quick nod and a gentle squeeze of her arm, he left the room, closing the door quietly. Had Rogue glanced up she would have seen the small smirk that crossed his face and the familiar expression on his face that was exactly what she was missing, but she didn’t and he disappeared beyond the closed door.


Pausing in the hallway he listened to the soft sobs from within the room and shook his head. He hadn’t meant to hurt her with his words but he needed to know if she still cared enough to want him. With a soft sigh he realized he had his answer even if it was the one he wasn’t too sure was good for either of them.




The slow pitch and roll of the waves drew Rogue to the upper deck and she sighed as she watched the small, high powered speed boat approaching them. Movement in her peripheral vision had her tensing even as she felt the familiar warmth of Mr. M settling around her waist. Stepping aside a bit, she put another couple of inches between them even as she glanced at him with a raised eyebrow before turning her attention to the addition to the cruise.

Watching in silence as the boat pulled up alongside them and a tall, stately looking man stood up, Rogue shifted uneasily. Blonde hair cut in the latest fashion, clothes that were tailored, and obviously expensive jewelry adorned the man’s wrists and hands.

His appearance didn’t bother her so much as the cold, assessing look in his eyes as he scanned the boat above him. She swallowed and moved a little closer to Mr. M when his eyes settled on her and she knew instantly what it felt like to be prey.

“Creep,” she muttered under her breath even as she felt a slight chuckle shake Mr. M’s body. Glancing at him she flushed, “Sorry, I didn’t realize I said that out loud.”

*No problem, Rogue,* he replied with a warm smile. *Cherie doesn’t seem happy to see him.*

Turning her head she glanced at the curvy blonde who looked furious and icy cold, a unique combination when one thought of it. Once the man was on board the pair hardly said a word to each other, instead the man immediately turned to the Captain and began steering him away from the group, pausing only long enough to meet Rogue’s gaze and smile charmingly.

Shuddering in revulsion, Rogue crossed her arms over her chest, “He’s not my type.”

*You noticed that, did you?* Mr. M smirked at her.

“Do I have ‘hit on me’ written on my forehead?” she muttered rubbing at her forehead even as a slight flush climbed her cheeks as she glanced at him. The damn butterflies were back, fluttering even worse now than before because she knew that he wasn’t scared of her.

He shook his head and squeezed her hand before stepping back, *I’d best get back to my work. See you for dinner?*

With a sigh Rogue stared at him, “I don’t know if that’s such a good idea. I’m not interested in…”

*Friends can have dinner,* he replied seriously. *Logan’s a very lucky man.*

Rogue smiled softly, secretively, “I’m the lucky one.”

With a smile Mr. M nodded even as he dropped a quick kiss on her mouth and turned and headed for his cabin. Pausing on the steps in the shadows, he turned and watched as she settled back at the lounge table. Her face carried a jumbled mix of emotions, least of which was regret even as she reached for her coffee. He could see from the way she sat that she was feeling bad about what had happened, about her breakdown and her interaction with him. He could also see the slight swipe of her tongue over her full lips tasting him, tasting his kiss.

Turning, he headed to see the Captain, he needed to have a little privacy tonight and he wanted a chance to woo Rogue under the moonlight. Perhaps the Captain wouldn’t mind loaning him the upper deck for a few hours. After all he needed Rogue to see herself as a desirable woman and he was running out of time, he wanted to her feel loved before they saw each other again in New York.



“You must be overjoyed to have your husband with you,” Mrs. Monroe declared smiling at Cherie who looked bored.

“Not really,” she replied waspishly before glancing at Rogue. “So what did you do while we were in port?”

“The usual,” Rogue shrugged pleasantly, “Played tourist, went shopping for my friends back home.”

“Ooh, what did you buy?” Cherie asked excited, “I do hope you bought them wine. Spanish wine is superb.”

“No,” Rogue giggled, “Actually I didn’t buy a drop of liquor. Most of my friends don’t drink, and they wouldn’t really be interested in that sort of thing. The only one who would enjoy that would be the Professor and he’s got a whole wine cellar full of fine wines and champagne.”

“Well then, what ‘did’ you buy?”

“Not a lot,” Rogue replied looking at her seriously. “A few odds and ends, trinkets more than anything. Got a couple of really beautiful shells for Kitty though, I didn’t know the beaches of Spain had such great seashells.”

“Shells?” Cherie visibly shuddered, “How white trash.”

“I like bein’ white trash lady,” Rogue snarled. “My best friend happens to be the definition of red-neck.”

“Oh, what’s he do?” Mr. Monroe asked, “I do hope he does something exciting like driving one of those big rigs, or perhaps a train…”

“Actually,” Rogue chuckled, “He’s a cage fighter.”

“Cage fighter? What’s that?” Mrs. Monroe asked leaning forward.

“Oh, you know, two men get in a wire mesh cage and beat each other senseless for money,” Rogue explained easily feeling an annoying tickle at the back of her neck as she realized she was being stared at.

“Oh my goodness,” Mrs. Monroe gasped. “I do hope it’s not as serious as it sounds.”

“He’s King of The Cage,” Rogue shrugged proudly, “He’s pretty good at it. How was your stay in Barcelona?” she asked hoping against hope that they’d allow the change in conversation. Talking about Logan made her feel guilty, like she was betraying him. Licking her lips she tasted the faint flavor of the man who’d kissed her and it sent tingles down her spine. Shifting she pushed aside the fledgling desire and focused on the older couple across from her.

“Wonderful. I do so love Spain; it’s a wonderful place to visit.”

“Oh, this isn’t your first time here?”

“Oh no, child,” Mrs. Monroe shook her head a warm smile on her face, “I’ve been here plenty of times and each time is like the first. You’ll have to come back someday with that man of yours.”

“Man?” Rogue asked softly, tensing slightly at the mention of a man in her life.

“Why yes. Everyone can see how close you and Mr. Mustelidae have become. It’s so refreshing to find love is still alive these days. So many of the young people are just living on lust instead of looking for love.”

Rogue nodded weakly and flushed as her stomach twisted a little tighter. She desperately wished she was anywhere but here and now. She couldn’t deal with the thought that people actually thought that she and Mr. M were in love. She loved Logan, always had, and even if Mr. M had some qualities she found attractive it didn’t mean anything. Just proximity, lust if you will, and she wouldn’t give into it. She would not betray her heart that way.

~Who are you trying to convince girl? Me? Or yourself?~ the annoying voice of her conscious echoed in the warm sunshine.

~Shut up. You don’t have a clue. ~ she snapped to herself and quickly changed the subject to the upcoming voyage to France, pushing any and all thoughts of the two men in her life aside… at least for now.
Chapter 5 by Shadowlady
The smell of salt in the air was thick as he sat watching the slim figure below him. For the first time since they’d boarded the cruise ship Rogue had managed to utilize the pool, and he was taking the opportunity to watch unabashed. She’d opted to wear the two piece green and black bikini that she’d bought while in St. Thomas, and he definitely approved of her choice.

Shifting in his seat, Mr. M lifted his hand to signal he wanted another beer even as his gaze stayed on the young woman doing laps in the pool on the deck below. She’d been avoiding him all afternoon, hiding from what her body and mind were telling her and it amused him.

He realized that she was on the verge of making a huge decision, one that would ultimately affect their future and he wanted her to know that she could win regardless of her choice. Of course he realized that there were still issues that had to be worked out and he knew he was going to enjoy that part of them – especially knowing how much of a firecracker she was. A slow, steady grin spread over his face as he shifted and watched her do a dive into the clear water and begin swimming another set of laps, the water glistening off her pale skin. Oh yes, he was relishing the thought of their rewards for all his subterfuge. His only concern was that she could still love the man he was, as well as the monster.

Draining his drink in one swallow, he rose and moved over to the railing. Leaning on it, he stared down at the shimmering blue water that reflected the sunlight and wished they were somewhere else, somewhere they could drop the facades, the lies and just take what they needed.

“So how goes the plotting?” the soft, aged tone had him glancing over his shoulder at the older woman smirking at him as she stood there with a wide-brimmed hat.

“It goes,” he grunted.

“She loves you; we can see it as plain as white paint on a black background.”

With a quick grin he shrugged, “So you don’t mind me takin’ over your boat, huh?”

“Taking over my yacht?” the woman gasped in false shock as she slapped a hand to her chest, “It’s like I told you. Anything we have is yours; after all if you hadn’t stepped in they would have killed him.”

A subtle shift of well muscled shoulders was the only indication of acknowledgement, “Did what anyone would have done, Mrs. Monroe. Did what any self-respecting man would have done.”

“So, I hear you’re leaving us in Greece?”

“Yes,” he replied shifting away from the railing and back into the shade of the canopy as Rogue climbed out of the pool, his gaze never leaving her as she walked over to grab a towel and settle on a lounge chair. “I’ve got to get things organized back home. Once this is over there’s going to be hell to pay, and I don’t want the geeks to find out about it.”

“You’re a very complex man, Mr. Mustelidae,” Mrs. Monroe declared easily, “Yet not so multifaceted that a person can’t see what you’re made of.”

“What does that mean?” the low growl held more than a little anger.

“You worship her, and no one can hide that. She doesn’t see it because of her own fear, her own set of blinders, but I do,” Mrs. Monroe moved over to him and rested her hand on his arm, “You know, loving her doesn’t mean you’re gonna hurt her.”

“I did once. Nearly killed her.”

“But she’s alive and, if what she’s said in the past few weeks is any indication, very much in love with the man who for some reason hasn’t called her on her cell phone. Perhaps you should; just to say hi, say you’re thinking of her. Let her see that side of you, vulnerability with the woman you love is not a crime.”

“No, it’s a weakness.”

“In love there are no weaknesses,” Mrs. Monroe replied as she turned away, “Only strengths, and joys, and pains of loving. Its like she told you, love isn’t a fairytale, Mr. Mustelidae, it’s what happens when the fairytale ends.”

With that soft barb she disappeared down the stairs, leaving him to his vigil over the young woman who was currently sunning on a lounge chair below. Frowning suddenly, every muscle in his body tensed as he spotted a familiar golden-boy figure approaching her.

With a low growl he grabbed his sunglasses and turned for the stairs, he’d be damned if he’d leave her to that oil-slick’s intentions. Barely suppressing the rage that boiled within him, he stalked across the deck toward the stairs and stomped down them before sliding the glasses back on and assuming the calm, silent role he’d adopted.

“So they tell me that you’re cruising with us all the way back to New York,” the slick tone had him grinding his teeth as he spotted Rogue calmly wrapping herself back up in a robe.

“Yes,” Rogue replied coldly and met Cherie’s husband’s gaze, “It’s a trip of discovery for me.”

“Oh? A girl as pretty as you needs an excuse to cruise?” the man chuckled and moved a few inches closer to her. A moment later he leaned closer and rested his hand on her robe covered thigh, “So where are you from, Rogue?” the question was loaded, filled with poorly concealed lust and more than a little conceit.

“Nowhere you’ve ever heard of,” Rogue rose to her feet and glared at him, “Excuse me, I’ve got to go.”

“So soon? And we were just getting to know one another,” the man rose smoothly and stared at her with a smile. His body leaning toward her, his gaze running up and down her body, peeling away the layers of clothing she wore.

“Excuse me, Miss Rogue,” the rather sudden appearance of one of the stewards drew everyone’s attention, and Mr. Mustelidae paused in his advance at the appearance of the young woman.

“Yes?”

“The Captain was wondering if you would be attending this evening’s social gathering.”

“Uh, what is it?” Rogue frowned as she moved a few steps away from Cherie’s too polished husband.

“A costume party,” the steward smiled softly, “The Captain was hoping you would join everyone for this event after all we are pulling into France in a day or so and it would be so lovely to have everyone present for the costume ball.”

“I didn’t really..”

*I’m certain there is something that you could wear,* came the quick motion from fingers that had remained idle. *If not, you could wear a mask and be the belle of the ball.*

Chuckling, Rogue flushed and glanced away from the comment, trying to calm the butterflies that had suddenly decided to make an appearance. With a quick smile at him, she turned and hurried back to her room.

Glancing at the smooth blonde, Mr. Mustelidae shifted and raised an eyebrow before shouldering past the man, knocking him into the pool, expensive suit and all. With a quickly hidden smirk at the steward, he headed for his cabin. He had a call to make.



The ringing of the phone had Rogue tossing her towel aside as she picked up her cell, “Hello.”

“Hey, kid,” the distinct growl from across the line had her sinking onto the bed, her hands trembling. “How’s it goin’?”

“Uh, fine, Logan,” she replied softly, “I miss you.”

“I miss you too. You know your hockey stats better ‘n anyone else I’ve ever met,” he stated calmly.

Giggling softly, Rogue shrugged, “You finding what you’re lookin’ for?”

“Yeah,” Logan replied seriously, “In a way. Found out more than I wanted, and yet it wasn’t what I really wanted. Guess that don’t make much sense.”

“Makes perfect sense,” Rogue replied softly, soothingly. It sounded very much like Logan was as confused as she was, and being so far from him didn’t help ease her confusion. “I ain’t found out jack shit on this trip, it’s a waste of time.”

“Naw kid, it ain’t. You’ll see. You’ll come back and be fully recharged and ready for anything.”

“I wish I could be so positive. I, uh, I met someone.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, he’s got a girlfriend, and he’s really nice. He kinda reminds me of you, only without the temper,” Rogue stated softly, “And it’s confusing as hell because I feel like I’m torn in two ways, like I’m betrayin’ you..”

“What do you want?”

“Something I’m not sure I can have,” Rogue stated sadly, rising to pace to her patio doors and slipping outside onto her small balcony, breathing in the warm salt air. “There are moments when it’s like we’re the only two people alive and yet a part of me longs for something simpler, something a little less…”

“Tame?” Logan asked softly.

“Yeah,” Rogue agreed and sighed, “I wish you were here, I wish I could talk to you all the time.”

“Aw kid, I’m always gonna be with you. Look, I gotta go, some asshole’s waiting for this phone. I tell ya what, I’ll try to call again – you know try and be less of an inconsiderate asshole.”

“I don’t care about that,” Rogue admitted softly, painfully. “As long as you call me, I’ll be happy. I’m sorry I didn’t give you much notice on this whole vacation thing. I should have thought more about it.”

“Naw, you obviously needed it. Have fun and I’ll call ya again, okay?”

“Okay,” Rogue replied as the phone went dead in her hand, “I love you, Logan.”

Leaning against the railing, Rogue stared out over the waves her throat tight, her eyes burning. It hurt to hear from him because she knew he was only touching base with a friend when she wanted so much more.

Staring down at the small silver phone in her hand, Rogue sighed before turning and heading inside, completely unaware of the dark shadow that leaned against the railing above hers. She needed a shower and some time to get ready for the upcoming ball. Shaking her head she sighed, whoever heard of a costume ball on a small boat?


Shaking her head at her own foolishness, Rogue slipped soundlessly onto the deck and paused to glance around. The Monroe’s were dancing to the slow jazzy beat; Cherie was sitting sulking in a corner, her husband conspicuously absent, and Mr. M was standing against the railing with a glass of something.

Smiling softly, Rogue moved toward her friend amid the swaying lights, warm breezes, and the sultry music, “I see they managed to get you out in this,” she smiled softly.

*I came to see you. I figured a woman as beautiful as you would be here, would know how to dance.*

Rogue flushed slightly and ducked her head before shrugging even as she noticed the offered hand held out to her. With a slight sigh, she pushed thoughts of the phone call aside and took it, moving gracefully into his embrace.

Swaying to the soft tunes, she easily put aside thoughts of anything but the night. Time after time she danced with him, sipping wine in between the dances until she had to admit that she felt a bit tipsy. Giggling softly, she moved against the warmth of his body, even as he twirled her away from the ‘brighter’ lights and over into a darker, more secluded corner.

“The Captain had a really good idea with this,” Rogue whispered softly even as she came to rest against the edge of the deck’s railing. “This has been such a wonderful and relaxing evening. I mean Els and Frank are acting like kids, even the stewards are having fun, and I’ve never danced so much in my life.”

Smiling softly he watched her steadily, noting the flush on her cheeks and the happy sparkle in her eyes, *Nearly perfect, huh?*

“No, no, it’s a perfect evening. I’m having fun, I’m not worried about tomorrow, and I’m free,” she giggled and held her arms out to turn in a quick circle. “It’s perfect!”

Nodding slowly he leaned forward, pulling her slowly into his arms as the music faded to a soft background noise. For the first time in a very long time, he wasn’t thinking about the ramifications of moving too fast, the problems that his hurried moves could create; instead he was focused on showing her he cared.

Dipping his head, he traced over her cheek with a thumb before closing in to kiss her gently, his tongue tracing over her lips softly. The soft gasp she gave left him an opening, and he deepened the kiss.

Her head swimming Rogue moaned softly at the pressure he exerted, deepening the kiss easily even as he pulled her a little tighter against him. The pounding in her head was echoed with the pounding in her chest as she responded blindly, letting her inhibitions fall to the wayside.

When he nipped her bottom lip, though, she gasped and jerked away from him to stare in horror, “Oh my god! I can’t,” she whispered tearfully and stepped back, her body trembling. “I can’t do this. I can’t betray him like that. I’m so sorry, I can’t…”

With her breath hitching on a sob, Rogue turned and raced down the stairs toward her stateroom.

Slamming the door and locking it, she slowly slid down the solid surface as the tears began to fall with even more rapid haste, dampening her cheeks and falling off her chin to land on her dress. Dropping her head onto her arms, folded on her knees, she sobbed silently, the haze from her drinks settling more confusion upon her as she hunkered there.

“I can’t believe I did that,” she sobbed before crawling over to her bed and falling on it to cry herself to sleep. She’d betrayed herself, and she’d betrayed Logan. There was no excuse, because this time she’d kissed him back and she’d enjoyed it.
Chapter 6 by Shadowlady
The ache behind her eyes had Rogue groaning as she rolled over to stare out the glass doors. Hugging her pillow tighter, she blinked as a fresh assault of tears began to press for release behind her eyes as she tried to ignore what she’d done the night before.

Licking at her dry lips she swore as she realized she could still taste his kiss; still feel the warm pressure of his lips against hers. Throwing the covers aside, she hurried into her bathroom and turned the shower on as hot as she could stand before stepping under it determined to rid herself of the memories, of the imprint of Mr. M’s touch.

Stepping out of the shower, she wrapped a large towel around her body and padded into her bedroom to grab her fluffy bathrobe. Tying it in a knot, she flopped down onto the bed and stared out the window for a few seconds, losing herself in the memories of a gentle kiss, a caress that wasn’t medical or professional.

Shaking her head, her eyes burning she reached for her phone and flipped it open. Punching in the familiar numbers she stared out the glass doors at the shimmering gold of the waves.

“Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters,” the feminine voice was only vaguely familiar.

“Can I please speak to Jubilee?”

“Uh sure just hang on a second,” the familiar strains of classical music drifted over the line as Rogue waited.

Wiping at the tears that raced unchecked down her face, Rogue struggled to keep the tears out of her voice. She didn’t need nor want Jubes to be calling in the cavalry over something as silly as her own fickle self.

“Jubilee here,” the familiar crack of gum, laughter, and curiosity echoed across the expanse of water and into the stateroom.

“Hey, Jubes,” Rogue hiccupped tearfully, “How’s it going?”

“Better than your life right about now from the sounds of it,” Jubilee retorted. “What happened? Logan do something stupid?”

“No, he called me and we had a nice chat. He said he’d call again soon,” Rogue sobbed softly, “But I did something really, really bad and I need to talk to him. Can you find his number in the book?”

Silence from the other end seemed to swell until Jubilee’s soft voice came back, “Sure Rogue but are you sure. What happened? Did someone hurt you?”

“No,” Rogue replied tearfully. “I kissed him!” she wailed before sobbing uncontrollably.

“Kissed who?” Jubilee asked, “That good looking guy you told me about?”

“Yeah, see we were dancing and drinking and one thing led to another and he kissed me and I kissed him back and now I can’t stop crying!”

“Did you do anything else? Did you shag with him or something?”

“No, it’s bad enough that I…” Rogue sobbed, “I k…k...k…kissed him.”

“Rogue, you didn’t do anything bad. He’s a guy, and you’re a girl. You can kiss him, ya know.”

“But I love Logan!” Rogue all but screamed. “I need him; I want to talk to him. Please just get his number.”

“It’s gonna take me bustin’ into the Prof’s office. You wanna hold or can I call you back?”

“I’ll call you back in say half an hour,” Rogue replied tearfully.

“Sure. Hey, you know you’re not an evil monster, kissing him doesn’t make you bad.”

“Yes it does,” Rogue whispered softly, “Because I don’t love him.”

“Hey you don’t have to explain..”

“I mean there are certain things about him that I like but there’s some part, some hint that I’m not comfortable with.”

“Rogue, you don’t have to explain yourself to me girlfriend. Just tell me something okay? Is it that you kissed him or is it that you liked it that’s bothering you? If he’d have pushed a little harder, would you have slept with him?”

With a shuddery breath Rogue raked a hand through her hair and blinked as she stared down at the blanket under her, “I don’t know. I like him, like the way he makes me feel sometimes, I just don’t think I could handle being…”

“Being what?”

Rogue sighed, this was confusing and she didn’t really want to air her fears to the biggest gossip outside of ‘Ro. God she wished she could go back and undo everything, go back to the mansion and crawl into Logan’s bed and not get up until he came home.

“Being what, Rogue?” Jubes pressed, “A sexually desirable woman?”

“No!” Rogue gasped uneasily, “Logan makes me feel that way, Jubes. I just…”

“I know,” Jubes stated amid the soft shuffling noises, “Okay let’s see what we can find.”

Listening to the rustle of paper Rogue sighed, her teeth sinking into her bottom lip. She loved Logan with every fiber in her body but the likelihood of him seeing her as a woman was slim. The fact that he wasn’t scared of her touch was another bonus point in her mind because he knew beyond a doubt what could happen.

Logan made her heart pound, her breathing erratic, and gave her the feeling of being alive, purely sexual, more than just a woman. He… in a word he made her feel whole, complete, accepted, and it was that devotion and caring that made him so dear to her.

And while Mr. M didn’t seem bothered by her skin he didn’t really know, he’d never witnessed what happened when she touched someone with her skin in full effect. Would he run in the other direction if he knew that she’d been on more than one mission? That she’d nearly killed someone – not once but twice? Could she reveal that part of herself to him without fear?

Flopping back amongst her pillows, Rogue stared at the ceiling. While Mr. M made her feel like a woman, he’d never really pressed it. He’d never pushed her for more than she was willing to give, willing to risk. That thought brought a wave of doubts, would he want more than just a quick fling? He’d already revealed that he had someone so his motives were suspect as well.

More importantly, what were her motives? Could she handle a quick fling with such a man even when her body, her mind, and heart told her that Logan would come around sometime? Could she surrender her sense of self-respect and dignity for a taste of being some rich playboy’s woman?

“Got it,” Jubes declared, triumph in her voice, “You have a pen and paper?”

“Yeah, just a second,” Rogue stated, rolling off the bed and hurrying over to the desk to grab the pen and pad of writing paper, “Give it to me.”

“Seven eight oh, five five five, two thousand,” Jubilee quoted quickly, softly.

“Thanks, Jubes, I owe you one for this,” Rogue smiled through her tears.

“Just let me know what’s happening, okay Rogue? If you need us, we’ll be there to get you.”

“Thanks, I appreciate that,” Rogue declared hanging up quickly and sighing as she stared at the number in front of her. Quickly punching in the numbers before she lost her nerve Rogue waited for it to be answered.



Swearing steadily under his breath, he puffed away on the cigar as he stared out the window at the blue sky. He’d messed things up alright, more so than if he’d been patient, if he’d taken the time to make things okay. The soft sounds of her tears had drifted to him throughout the night and he’d felt her pain.

Glancing with disdain at the ringing of the phone he growled and picked it up only to stare at the familiar number. Flipping it open he pushed a button and held it to his ear, “Hey.”

“Hi, Logan,” Rogue’s soft accent was enhanced by the sound of the tears in her voice.

“Hey kid, how’s it going?”

“I don’t know,” Rogue replied sadness in her tone. “I need to talk, you got a few minutes?”

“For you? Got all the time in the world, kid, what’s on your mind?” Logan asked softly.

“I did something I’m not proud of, and now I’m scared.”

“What happened? Somebody fuck with you? Cause if they did…”

“No. No, nothing like that, Logan,” Rogue sighed softly, sadly. “Last night there was this party on board the ship and I had a little too much to drink and I kissed this guy back when he kissed me.”

Logan hid his groan of pain at the tears and the shame in her voice, “Why did he kiss you?”

“I think he likes me,” Rogue admitted softly, “And I like him, I’m just not sure..”

“Kid, you know I’m gonna support your decisions…”

“I don’t think this is one of ‘em,” Rogue admitted quickly, the soft whisper of fabric telling him she was pacing like crazy. “I admit I liked kissing him, but deep down a part of me thinks I shouldn’t have done it to begin with. I mean, I’m not in love with him…”

“But you are attracted to him, right? You like him; he makes you feel special…”

“Not like you do, Logan! I don’t know. I don’t want to be someone’s ‘fling’ I want…” Rogue sobbed. “I want to be The One; I want to be so special, so necessary in someone’s life that they’d risk death for me!”

Logan groaned softly and rubbed at his forehead, “You are special, Marie, you are necessary to me.”

“But not…” Rogue paused, “Tell me what to do, Logan, tell me how to do this.”

With a sad shake of his head, he rose to pad to the doors leading out onto his patio, “You gotta follow your heart, Marie. Listen to it and it will tell you what you need to know.”

A sniffle came across the line and he knew she was feeling more than a little pained, more than a little confused. “But what if what my heart tells me isn’t what I want to hear?”

“Your heart won’t lead you astray, darlin’,” he admitted softly extending and retracting his claws, “It’ll help you find a way.” It had helped him, told him how to be a man, how to become what Rogue needed in life: a steady presence, and while his heart hadn’t really let anyone else in, it sure didn’t hold back when it came to his Marie.

“Thanks, Logan, I’d better let you go. I miss you.”

“I miss you too,” he admitted softly before the line went dead, “But we’ll be together soon. Really soon if I have my way.”
Chapter 7 by Shadowlady
The gentle swaying of the waves did little to ease Rogue’s mind as she sat on her deck, a frown marring her face. In the distance she could clearly see their upcoming port of call where they were slated to stay the next few days.

Shifting uneasily, she shook her head and reached for her bottle of water. She wasn’t too sure if she should go back to New York just yet. After all, she’d never run from a fight before and this one – well it was just a little more personal than any of the others.

She knew Logan’s advice while unusual was true. She had to listen to her heart, listen to what it said and take things from there. After all lust wasn’t a very good reason to do something – instead she would figure things out on her own.

Thankful that they were only spending the night in the quaint seaside town before moving inland to a small French village, Rogue remained in her stateroom long after the boat had docked, and all but the staff had departed. Sitting on her deck she stared out over the old Florentine buildings, the beautiful sprawling scenery, and wondered if she was losing her mind.

The fact that Logan had called twice during the most strained parts of this trip niggled at her mind. How could he possibly have known she needed to talk to him so desperately? Would he have called at any other time? What did it mean that he’d called at all?

Logan had been plenty pissed when she told him she was gonna be away from the mansion, somehow she couldn’t see him forgiving her that so easily. He would want her where he thought she was safe, but was she safe at the mansion? She couldn’t live in a gilded cage forever, not with him in her mind and heart.

Sighing she rested her chin on her hand and watched the birds flying above her. Logan had risked so much for her, given her so much, and for her to push that aside as nothing was stupid. She knew him, knew what he was like, and for him to give something of himself was a rarity. In the years of his life he could remember he’d never once allowed himself that weakness, and yet for her he had. He’d given her so much of him – not just his memories, not just his gifts, his blood, but his tags… the only tangible evidence of his past. A past that he clung to because he feared the future, he feared going through life alone without the other half of his soul.

“Ooh that man is driving me insane from thousands of miles away,” she muttered as she rose to pad into her stateroom. Grabbing another drink she retreated out into the warm sunshine and the seat she’d claimed.

Living in the here and now wasn’t reason enough to betray that sort of faith, that sort of emotional tie. Even if he lusted after Dr. Grey, sooner or later he’d allow himself to feel again and then, where would he turn if not to her? Good or bad, Logan saw her as a gift in his life, a treasure, and to toss that aside like yesterdays news made her worse than stupid… it made her a fool.

“Where is he when I need to talk?” she muttered picking up a pen and tapping it against her knees. Glancing at her watch, she rose and gathered her attire for the dinner in town.




From where he sat, Mr. M watched Rogue’s contemplation with a soft, easy grin. She had refused to come ashore earlier in the day, and he’d taken it upon himself to stay behind and protect her. Glancing across the cobblestones at the furthest table, he raised an eyebrow at the man sitting there with the manicured perfection that was his wife. The man had an obvious death wish, and he’d only proven how close he came to dying when the man had tried to sneak back aboard.

Not wanting to break his character he’d used intimidation and a few well placed punches to get his point across, you didn’t go anywhere near the beauty sitting thinking her day away.

Rising at the sudden appearance of the limo, he moved up the street to a shadowy alcove and watched Rogue slip into the car in a designer pants suit. “Good for you kid,” he muttered and headed for the hotel.



Sitting through dinner, Rogue tried desperately to avoid the conversations going on around her, as well as the people. She ate silently, kept to herself, and refused to look up. She knew that everyone was wondering where she’d been, and she couldn’t bring herself to tell them the truth.

Somehow she just couldn’t believe that they’d be overjoyed to hear she’d spent the day listening to her heart telling her she was falling in love with Logan all over again. Not the Logan everyone wanted to believe he was, but the man who had been willing to do whatever it took to survive, to keep her alive and whole. The man who’d done more for her in a week than any other man had ever done in her life.

“I do hope you aren’t feeling unwell,” Missus Monroe spoke softly to the young woman sitting next to her. “You look a bit pale.”

“Just, uh, doing some thinkin’,” Rogue replied softly with a hint of a smile. “Missing my friends, my family, Logan.”

The elder woman nodded carefully, her gaze darting across the table to the man dressed in black, his hair slicked back, and his glasses firmly in place, “Has he called you?”

Rogue smiled, “Yes. Twice now. I’m so glad that I’ve had a chance to talk to him, he gives me such great advice.”

“He still in Canada?”

“As far as I know. With him, you can never tell,” she sighed and shrugged, “But that’s okay. As long as he’s talking I know he’s alive.”

Missus Monroe chuckled, “Glad to hear it. Would you like to join us for drinks?”

Biting her lip, Rogue glanced up at the movement from across the table and shook her head, “I’d love to join you, but I’m still feeling a bit off from all the drinking I did last night. Perhaps for coffee?”

“Much better idea,” Missus Monroe declared and turned back to her husband, casting a quick glance at Mr. M who sat watching Rogue with a serious expression.

Ignoring most of the people in the room, Mr. M approached Rogue who stood next to a bookshelf holding a delicate china cup of coffee. Her fingers were tracing over the bindings of the books, a look of intense concentration on her face.

*I didn’t see you today, is everything okay?* he asked quickly.

Rogue glanced at him and shrugged, tensing up as she stared at him. Looking away for a second, she glanced back at him, “I, uh, I owe you an apology for last night. I let myself get carried away and that’s not like me.”

*No explanation…*

“I think you owe me one as well. You’re involved with some woman back in Rocky Mountain House, she’s waiting for you and you’re here smarming on me. I don’t think that’s fair to either of us, any of us.”

*You are quite right, it is not fair.*

“So in future we can spend time together, socially. But I will not allow myself to be directed by lust, or by the feeling of acceptance that you give me. I can’t. Logan may not realize it, but he loves the whole package, not just my looks, not just my accent; the whole package, deadly skin and all. Granted I’ve managed to master it but still – you’ve never experienced what he has, and you never will because you don’t heal,” Rogue stated raising a hand when the man standing next to her gathered himself. “Logan told me to listen to my heart, and my heart tells me that I love Logan. I love his bad moods, his surly attitude, his cigars, his fighting, his claws, everything! I couldn’t care less about his past or about what he’s done to survive because I know about it all. I’d rather be with him then be some holiday mistress. Are we clear?”

A quick nod, a ghost of a smile, *As glass. So I guess this means you wouldn’t be interested in going to the shops tomorrow before we leave?*

“Actually that was my plan. I was going shopping for something for Dr. Grey, she told me about a designer she wanted to get something from.”

*Shall we meet in the lobby at say nine a.m. then? I promise to respect your wishes.*

Rogue nodded, “That’s agreeable. Good evening, Mr. M.”

Watching her walk away, he hid his grin until she had disappeared.

“She’s gonna kill you,” Mr. Monroe declared with a chuckle, holding out a glass of bourbon. “And you’re going to let her.”

“Yep,” he grunted with a smirk, “Because I’ve got something worth dying for.”

“Yes, you do,” Mr. Monroe declared as the tall, broad shouldered man who’d helped him walked away with the grace of a cat, and the stealth and power of a born predator. Glancing across the room at his wife, he smiled, “And you’re going to spend a long, long time treasuring it.”
Chapter 8 by Shadowlady
Breathing a sigh of relief Rogue slipped out of the small French house and headed for the stable. The soft sounds of horses stamping in their stalls echoed in the soft morning fog as she entered the exquisite stable to move along the stalls.

Pausing next to the second to last, she smiled at the dark head that poked out over the door and nickered at her, “Good morning,” she whispered softly. “Up for a ride today?”

“Can I help you?” the soft query drew her attention to the tall, slim figure in the open doorway.

“No,” Rogue replied stiffly, “I’ve got it under control.”

“Really?” the smooth, slick words did little to put her at ease, “I was hoping we could continue our conversation that was interrupted the other day.”

Rolling her eyes, Rogue shook her head, “There is nothing to continue. Excuse me, but I’ve got things to do,” opening the door to the stall she snapped a lead rope into the bay’s halter and led him out into the walkway. Ignoring the simmering blonde she led the gelding past him with a dark look and out into the yard.


“You’d be wise to leave her alone,” the cold, harsh words were barely loud enough to disturb the horses but it drew the blonde’s attention.

“Considering it wasn’t a public conversation…”

“You don’t get it, do you?” moving into view he glared at the rich man, “She’s out of your league, and you’d best remember that.”

“And who are you to tell me..?”

“Let’s just say a close, concerned man,” he drawled his hands clenched at his sides, “One that gives a damn about her, and doesn’t care about you.”

Shaking his head, he watched the shadow move out of the stable and disappear something telling him that he was better keeping his distance from the young lady who’d elected to take a morning ride.


Loping the bay along the path, Rogue pulled up and dismounted along the edge of a cliff. Staring off into the distance she smiled at the rolling hills with an edge of blue that could clearly be seen. Mr. M’s agreement of being friends and nothing more had been welcomed when he’d given it but it had bothered her since then.

Could it have been so easy for him to walk away, could he have been so emotionally detached that she was so easily forgotten? Yes it was flattering for him to pursue her, yes it made her feel special, sexy but realistically she knew deep down there had to have been something about him that had drawn her in the first place.

With a sigh she shifted, twisting the rein in her hand she merely had to figure out what it was about him that had worked its way under her defenses. Maybe once she understood that she could understand what it was about the situation that had her acting so differently than she’d ever believed.

“I love him,” Rogue whispered softly, “I really do, and it’s not just hero-worship like some people think. I mean I’ve seen his darkest fears, his worst crimes, and it’s never bothered me. He would risk it all for me,” she rubbed at her forehead, “Maybe that’s it. Maybe I’ve been looking at the situation wrong; maybe I’ve been trying to figure out what it was about him that I wanted. The only problem is that what I was offered, what he could give me, isn’t enough. I want what I had in New York.”

The soft nicker from the horse was the only sound in the silence as Rogue smiled. Giggling softly, she shook her head. She didn’t need anyone to tell her what to do or how to feel, her heart would lead her.

Determined to heed Logan’s advice she turned back to the gelding that had been grazing patiently, “Well, old man, let’s head back. I think I’m going to go shopping for something for Jubes and Hank. They’d love a reminder of what I’ve been doing here.”



*Would you mind some company?* Mr. M approached Rogue as she stood appraising several yards of brightly colored fabric blowing in the wind.

“Not at all,” Rogue replied glancing at him, “As long as you remember what I said the other night.”

*I’ll be a gentleman,* he promised with a soft smile, *and I wanted to apologize for being so presumptuous. It was totally inappropriate, and I do admit I’m quite ashamed.*

“I should say thank you as well,” Rogue sighed softly, sadly. “If I hadn’t acted so out of character, so desperate for affection I wouldn’t have come to the realizations that I did. It was unfair of me to accuse you of using me but I meant what I said. I will not be a holiday mistress, or a fill in for the real thing.”

Hiding a smile at her choice of words he shrugged, *Fair enough. So why are we looking at such bright yellow?*

“Friend of mine likes yellow,” Rogue explained. “By like I mean she’s in love with it – considers it the only color in the world.”

Laughing softly Mr. M nodded, *Well in that case, the bright sunny yellow would work well.*

Laughing softly Rogue nodded and paid the old woman selling the woven fabric for enough for Jubilee to make two or three blouses and a full summer dress. Following Mr. M along the walk way, she picked out several brightly colored statues, a slim choker for Storm, and a leather bound copy of a French book that she knew the Professor had commented on once.

*Would you consider dining with me this evening?* Mr. M asked, *No strings at all.*

Rogue sighed, before nodding slowly and giving him a ghost of a smile. “I’ll think about it.”

With a satisfied nod he turned back toward their cottages, Rogue falling into step with him. Walking in silence unbroken by her words or his gestures of communication, he left her at the door of her cabin with a smile and a promise to meet up later.


*********

Settled at the table that night, Rogue glanced up at her dinner companion who sat with a soft smile on his face. “Have you spoken to the young woman waiting for you back home?” Rogue asked softly, the flicker of the candles a bare hint of a distraction.

*A couple of times. She’s a bit uncertain about where our relationship is going,* he admitted slowly. *I don’t think she believes we can survive everything we’d have to get through.*

“Everyone has rough spots,” Rogue replied seriously, picking up her wine glass and taking a sip before setting it back down on the table. “But if you’re willing to work on it then you can survive anything. If your heart’s into it then you just have to listen to it.”

*Is that what you did?*

Rogue paused, her brow creasing slightly as she thought about it. “Yes, it is. My heart told me that I love him, good or bad, long or short, it’s always going to be him and fighting it only makes things more complicated. I think I took it for granted though,” she stated slowly, thoughtfully. “I assumed that there was nothing out there that could tempt me to betray that emotion until I came to face with the reality of life. Temptation is part of us, a part of our identity – I just let myself get swayed by that for a bit.”

*So you’re going to go back to him then?*

“Yes. I’ve always known that he and I were supposed to be. This experience has just reinforced that. Logan sees the girl I was, the woman I want to be, and he accepts them both. He also understands what it means to have so little in life that you’re willing to take crumbs to be happy. I suppose that sounds odd..”

*Not at all. How long are you willing to wait for him?*

Rogue smiled softly, lovingly, “I’ve always had him, and I just have to wait for him to realize that. Of course, that could take a long time… but he’s worth it!”

*Yes, I’m sure he is,* he smiled at her before reaching for his drink. Wishing it was something stronger, he resisted the urge to tap her glass with his own, he could be patient now. He could wait, because he knew in the end they were both going to win.

“So, how much longer are you going to be with us?” Rogue asked after a few moments of silence.

*Just until we get to Greece. About another week. We’ve got a couple of ports of call but no long stays. Once we get to Greece, I’ll be with you for the first day before I fly home.*

“You think she’ll be there when you get home?”

With a mysterious smile he shook his head, *She’s always been with me Rogue; I just wasn’t ready to be with her. We have a lot of work ahead of us, and for the first time in my life, I’m looking forward to it.*

“Shall we call it an evening?” Rogue asked rising along with him, “It isn’t like we’re going to solve our problems tonight.”

*No, but it’s been a start. I’ll walk you back to your cottage,* he offered his arm with a smile.

Leaving her at her door he turned and smirked into the darkness as he walked away, he had his answer now he just had to finalize the arrangements back in Rocky Mountain House – but at least he had some time to do it.
Chapter 9 by Shadowlady
Sighing softly at the warm, soft breeze that ruffled her hair Rogue tilted her face to the sun as the ship slid easily through the waves. Both of the past two ports of call had been completed without landing, but she’d still managed to get a dress, two beautiful body suits, and a case of bourbon for Logan.

A quick glance behind her and she smiled at the growing stack of goodies in her room and sighed. When they got to Barcelona the items were being shipped to New York and from there to the mansion.

Rogue glanced upwards at the sky and sighed softly. Would he be as willing to risk it all as she was? Could she convince him that what they had was more important than the team’s opinion?

Rogue shrugged a soft giggle escaping. She had more than one means of convincing, and she wasn’t above using seduction to get what she wanted – at least from Logan.

The annoying buzz of her phone had her reaching for it, “Hello?”

“Hey, darlin’, how’s it going?” Logan’s voice was warm, solid, almost as though he didn’t care who heard him.

“Good. How are you?”

“Good. I, uh, know I haven’t exactly kept in touch the past couple of days and I’m sorry…”

“Hey, I know you’re doing something that’s real important, Logan. I know you need to be there. If there is no phone, there’s no phone. You drinking?”

“No. Sitting in some tiny rented room staring at a blank TV, wishing you were closer to me.”

Smiling giddily, Rogue glanced upwards, ‘Thank you’, she mouthed before refocusing on Logan. “How’s the search going?”

“Got what I needed,” Logan admitted quickly. “Found the answers I wanted, hoped I’d get, and now I’m getting ready to head home. When will you be there?”

“Another few weeks,” Rogue shrugged and settled onto the bed cross-legged. “Maybe sooner if that annoying prick doesn’t quit.”

”What prick?”

“Oh, some smooth talkin’ blonde on board who seems to think he’s God’s gift to women… he ain’t even in the running. I mean Scott’s more of a man than he is.”

The warm chuckle that drifted across the phone line had her grinning, “What, he is.”

“I’ll take your word for it. You, uh, okay there? You want me to find him and teach him to treat a lady properly,” the soft snikt of claws being extended on the other end of the line had Rogue shaking her head.

“No, Logan, I’m fine. I, uh, got you some bourbon, hope you’ll like it.”

“Anything from you is a guaranteed like for me, darlin’,” Logan admitted quickly, “Damn gotta run, baby, but I’ll call you back later, okay?”

“What’s wrong?”

“Some cop’s eying my bike.”

“Scott’s bike,” Rogue pointed out calmly, softly.

“Whatever, he’s eying it so I better go talk him outta a ticket.”

“Keep safe, okay?”

“I’ll see you in a few weeks,” Logan promised before hanging up, leaving Rogue with a slight frowning smirk twisting her lips.

Tossing her phone aside, she slid off the bed and grabbed a green and white summer dress. A few minutes later, hair pulled back in a loose ponytail and white sandals on her feet, Rogue headed upstairs to the top deck to see if anything was going on.

“Good morning, Miss Rogue,” the distinct voice had her smiling as she turned to greet the captain.

“Morning, sir, do we have an agenda for today?”

“We’ll be getting into Barcelona around three, until then if you’d like to relax, enjoy the beauty of the day.”

“Thanks. I think I’m gonna get that book I picked up last night and finish it,” Rogue said turning to head back downstairs.

“How has everything been so far?” The captain asked calmly, quickly. “Any problems with other guests?”

“No, none that I can’t handle,” Rogue replied with a smile. “Miss my friends though. I never thought I’d ever go so long without seeing them.”

Chuckling, he nodded, “That’s the way life works sometimes. Have to let people spread their own wings before you can ever hope to get them to settle down.”

Rogue giggled and scurried away. Slipping into the library she picked up the thick, leather bound volume she’d started the evening before and turned to the door where a rather disgruntled looking man stood staring at her. She grimaced, “Is there some reason you’re stalking me?”

“You’re one ‘em aren’t you?” the drunken slur had Rogue going tense.

“What?”

“A freak, a stupid, greedy…”

“The only greedy thing around here is you and your wife,” Rogue snapped angrily. “What’s that got to do with anything? You’re still not stewing about the brush off are you? Sorry I prefer my men to be real – not some painted pretty-boy who hasn’t got the balls to admit he’s an asshole.”

“Don’t you…”

“I suggest you go sleep off whatever you’ve drank because if you don’t, I will kick your ass.”

“You stupid…” the man stopped suddenly, paled and stalked off drunkenly.

Frowning, Rogue stared at the open door for a moment before a dark shape moved into it and the familiar figure of Mr. M stood there eying the retreating man with open hostility.

“Seems I owe you one. Saved me having to kick his ass.”

*Pretty lady like you shouldn’t have to kick anyone’s ass,* Mr. M smiled at her softly. *I came to see if you would join me for a game of crib.*

“Sure,” Rogue started for the doorway, “You mind if I bring my book for later?”

A quick shake of his head, and he offered his arm for her to take as they headed upstairs.


The soft blaring of the horn broke Rogue’s concentration hours later as she tossed her cards onto the table, “Wow, it’s three already?”

*Must be.*

“You certainly know how to play the game. Most of the time I play it back home I’m bored stiff after about two hands. Of course those I play with at home spend more time talking than playing cards, but that’s beside the point.”

*Dinner on shore?*

“Sounds great. You can tell me more about this girl you’ve got waiting for you. I know she’s pretty, she’s not materialistic, and she lives in the States.”

Chuckling, Mr. M shrugged, *I’ll tell you all about her at dinner. Until then I’ll leave you to refresh yourself and, uh, meet you at the gangplank in say an hour?*

“Sounds good.” Rising, Rogue headed for her room to collect her purse.



Hours later sitting peacefully at a little umbrella covered table, Rogue watched the sun slowly sinking in silence. Mr. M sat on her right, one hand wrapped around the base of his wine glass, the other in his lap, his gaze on the horizon.

“It’s so beautiful,” Rogue whispered softly, “Not as beautiful as some of the ones Logan’s seen but it’s right up there. Makes me think that there’s hope out there that we can all win and be united.”

*All win?*

“This whole Mutant’s are to be Hated thing,” Rogue explained sadly, “We’re all human, none of us ever asked to be born different and yet for something we have no control over we’re persecuted, hated, reviled – it doesn’t make any sense to me.”

*Do you wish you weren’t one?*

Rogue frowned as she thought of it; did she wish she wasn’t a mutant? Could she live her life as a normal human being? If she wasn’t a mutant would she have as much as she did? “No, no, I don’t. If I wasn’t a mutant, if my life had gone a different direction I wouldn’t have met Logan. I wouldn’t have experienced so much that it’s made me more alive than anyone else around me. No, no, I wouldn’t trade being what I am, who I am, for being normal.”

*Many would.*

“My mutation sucks – literally as well as figuratively, but it’s given me the most treasured thing in my life. It gave me Logan, it gave me a chance to be the woman he needs and I wouldn’t, couldn’t trade that off. Logan needs a strong, capable woman – anyone else would never really be able to know him like I do.”

*That’s important to you, isn’t it? That you know him so well, that you have a part of him that no one else will ever have.*

Rogue smiled and shrugged, “It is. For so long I’ve lived in the shadows, lived with the fear of hurting those around me and, you know, Logan’s the only one who’s never feared me. The only one who’s given me a chance to be, to have a normal existence. He’s taught me that there’s more to touching someone than physical contact, and I treasure that.”

Mr. M nodded thoughtfully, *You know, you’re the most enigmatic person I’ve ever met, and yet you’re so clear. Like looking into a pond and seeing the bottom.*

Rogue shrugged and flushed, “You were going to tell me about your girlfriend..” she prodded softly, unwilling to discuss herself any further.

*Yes, I was,* he replied. *She’s smart, sexy. But there’s more to her than just looks. She’s had more than her fair share of shit dumped on her, and yet she’s stronger than most women could ever be. She’s willing to risk so much to have what she needs, what she wants, and yet there’s an innocence, a delicateness to her. And enigma wrapped within a mystery, wrapped within the beauty of a woman.*

“What does she do?”

*At the moment she’s not really doing much. She’s taking some personal time, getting used to being in her own skin without having to deal with what others are telling her. Building on her strength, her character,* he paused, *She’s learning that she can have love, that she’s worthy of it. I mean, I could tell her that, but she’s got to learn that for herself. She’s also a tutor, when she’s not on her down time.*

“You said she’s not materialistic, yet I’ve seen you purchase her gifts,” Rogue paused, “Why?”

*What woman doesn’t like getting a gift, especially if it says I love you?* He explained, *I buy her things because she’s never asked for them, never given me any indication that she expects me to lavish them upon her. I can’t explain…*

“No need,” Rogue smiled, “You’re showing her she’s worth it to you without being all in your face. Logan does that, just with the life-saveage as opposed to gifts. I miss him,” she said, looking at the ocean for a moment.

The soft touch on her hand had her glancing back at her dinner companion, *Missing him doesn’t make you weak, it gives us strength to know that we can feel that much.*

“A fairytale that never ends,” Rogue whispered softly. “So where did you meet her?”

Smiling at the blatant attempt to change the topic of conversation, he shrugged, *At a fight.*

“You mean like..”

*Oh, no, nothing like that. Bar had fight network going. She was there having a drink.*

Rogue nodded and sipped at her drink as she waited for him to continue.

*She gives me life, ya know? She makes me think about more than just money. She could never hurt me really; I know that she’s worried about that more than once but she never could do it. She’s just not that way – there isn’t any way anything she ever does could hurt me.*

“Do you think that she knows it?”

Mr. M frowned slightly, *Honestly I don’t know, we never really talked about it. I’ve always known she’s scared but I never really thought that she didn’t understand that her touch, her presence could never hurt me. I trust her.*

Rogue nodded at the solid, calm way he stated it. It was more a statement of fact than a suggestion. “Does she trust you?”

Mr. M glanced at her before smirking slightly, *I think so.*

“I’m glad. Trust is a rare commodity, sometimes it’s very hard to get. Sorta like respect.”

*Respect isn’t given; it’s earned the same as trust. If you’re really lucky, I mean truly lucky then you find someone who you can give that trust, that respect, as soon as you look them in the eye. It was that way with her, I trusted her, respected her, even as I feared her. She woke something within me that I didn’t want to face, some little part of me that I wanted to hide away, a piece of me I wanted to keep safe and when our eyes met I knew beyond a doubt that nothing, not death, not rage, not fear would ever really separate us,* he took a sip of his wine, *But we both needed time to come to terms with that realization. We gave ourselves that time, and others tried to change us, tried to make us who we were never supposed to be. It took longer for me to trust, to respect them than it did her.*

“What would you change if you could?”

Staring across the water he sat silently, a thoughtful expression on his face, *Not telling her when I had to leave.*

“Tell her what?”

*That I belonged to her, that we could make it. That I was leaving part of me with her to keep safe.*

Rogue smiled softly, “I’m sure she knew. If you are as close as you say you are, she knew. Deep inside where it really counts she knew, she knows.”

Mr. M smiled softly, a touch sadly, *How can you be sure?*

“Because, I’ve been there. I’ve had someone look at me and say one thing with his words but his eyes told me something else, his very presence, posture everything told me another. He loved me even then; he just knew he had to find himself before we could have us.”

*A brilliant man.*

“Some would argue with you there. You know love sure gets complicated at times and yet with Logan it was easy. I never felt the whole pressure to do things for him that everyone I’ve been around says comes with love, there was no hero-worship at all. Sure he’s saved me more times than I can count but he’s also pushed me, angered me, nearly killed me, threatened to abandon me, and given me taste of the horrors he’s endured. Through it all there was this deep… I don’t know..”

*Emotional bond that gives you the strength to keep doing what you’re doing because it’s the way for you to feel alive. That bond keeps you going when everyone else has fallen away, lights the darkness, and slakes the thirst that draws upon us at times,* Mr. M finished for her and smiled at her quick nod.

“It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who understands.”

*Shall we take a walk along the shops? I’m sure there’s something we could see?* Mr. M suggested as the plates were taken from their table.

“Delighted,” Walking arm in arm with him, Rogue paused in front of a little stand where hand crafted jewelry was on display. Glancing at it she sighed as she fingered a decorative shell necklace with silver and gemstone trim.

*It’s beautiful.*

“Yes it is,” Rogue admitted as she lifted it up and smiled at him, “Here, you should buy it for your girlfriend. A last trinket before you fly home in the morning.”

Taking it, he fingered the delicately colored shells before glancing at her through his dark glasses. How like her to pick out a piece that was original and yet simplistic, something that was perfect for her. *Thanks, I think I will.*

After paying for it and having it placed in a slim, simple box Mr. M offered her an arm as they made their way back to their hotel. Keeping any signing to a minimum, he walked her through the gathering darkness and left her at her door with a gentle kiss on the top of her head.

Long after the door had closed with a soft click, he stood in the shadows, watching the door, at peace for once, content with the way things were. He knew now what he’d feared had been just that: fear he had a reason to go back; he had a promise to keep – and a heart to claim. Glancing down at the package in his hand he smiled, it would be the first key to opening her eyes, the first in a great many turns that would ensure that they both had what they wanted.
Chapter 10 by Shadowlady
The soft smell of salt water drifted in through the open window as Rogue rolled over and sat up. Pushing the blankets off, she padded barefoot across the floor to the balcony, pushing through the shimmering sheers that hung as the only barrier to watch the rising sun.

Glancing once at her watch she sighed, another two hours and Mr. M would be on his way home to see his girl and she’d be alone again. Although she knew without a doubt that if she called him Logan would be here within hours she was resolved to finish what she started and go home to him a well rounded, strong, independent woman.

Smirking at her own foolishness, Rogue turned to head for the bathroom. She would shower, get dressed and head downstairs to say goodbye. When it was all said and done she and Mr. M were friends if nothing else. He would never really know it but he’d taught her something about herself, something that she had always doubted but now knew beyond a hesitation. Rogue was a woman comfortable within her own skin!

“So you’re flying back home, huh?” Rogue settled in next to the man sitting in the lobby.

*It’s time, I think.*

“I just wanted to say thank you,” Rogue started softly staring at her hands before glancing up to meet his eyes through his glasses, “If it hadn’t been for you, I wouldn’t have ever realized how strong I am. I always thought that nobody could ever compete for my heart, I thought Logan would be the only person I could ever love – but I didn’t really know it for sure. When I met you I didn’t realize that there were more than just my fears to face. I guess what I’m trying to say is…”

*You’re very welcome, Rogue,* he smiled softly, *You’re a woman any man would love, would want, and Logan is very lucky to have your heart. Have faith in him, Rogue, he loves you as much as you love him. I bet when you see each other again, he sweeps you into his arms and spends days worshipping you. I know that’s what I planning on doing when I get back to my girl. I’m going to spend days making love to her, with her – until all the old fears, the ghosts, have faded to nothing.*

Rogue smiled in understanding at what he was saying, “You’ve been a good friend. I do have to admit I am going to miss you on the last leg of this journey. You’ve been such a big part of it that it’s gonna be lonely without you.”

*Perhaps, but then, you’ve got someone to keep you company. Someone you gave your heart to a long time ago. You’ve got a hideaway within your very soul.*

“Excuse me, sir, but your limo is here,” the steward approached them and aimed a friendly smile at the pair. “Your luggage has already been taken care of.”

With a nod Mr. M slapped the arms of his chair and rose to his feet, turning to Rogue, *Have some fun for me, and don’t let anyone push you around. You’re a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for.*

“That I have my doubts about,” Rogue chuckled and hugged him, “Be safe, and tell your girl that she’s very lucky. That she’s got a real man who loves her.”

*I will,* with a soft smile and a tug on her hair, he turned and disappeared out into the warm, Greek sunlight.

“Safe journey,” Rogue whispered standing in the lobby until the long white car had disappeared. Turning, she headed for the stairs, ignoring the looks of those in the lobby.

Climbing the stairs slowly, she ground her teeth together as she spotted Cherie and her husband walking toward her. With an indifferent look, she moved up the stairs and smirked as they passed her before picking up her pace.

Locking her hotel room door Rogue moved over to where her cell phone sat and picked it up, she dialed the familiar number and wasn’t surprised to get Logan’s voice mail.

“Hey sugar, just wanted to touch base with you and tell you I’ll be back soon. I’ve just got a couple more things to figure out then I’ll come home to you. When I get there we need to talk…” pausing she bit her lip, “I love you Logan – I miss you.”

Hanging up she made short work of packing what few possessions she had with her and headed for the boat. She didn’t want to miss the departure, or the next leg of the journey.


********************


Listening to the softly accented words on his phone, Logan smiled as he tucked his glasses into his pocket and climbed the steps of the private jet. Glancing behind him, he nodded to himself. He had time – and he would make her home one she could claim.

“Afternoon, sir,” the flight attendant, a tall, stately red-head smiled charmingly at him, and he nodded quickly before taking his seat.

The minute the plane was safely off the ground and on its way back across the Atlantic, he flipped open his phone and dialed in a familiar number.

“Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters,” the feminine voice was slightly familiar but not overly so.

“Who’s this?”

“Kitty, who’s this?”

“Is Chuck handy?”

“Hi, Logan,” the soft hint of laughter in the girl’s voice had Logan shaking his head, “Professor Xavier’s in a meeting with Dr. McCoy and Dr. Grey. Can I take a message for him?”

“You know how long he’s gonna be?”

“Could be five minutes, could be all afternoon. I’m not too sure.”

“Just tell him I’m gonna be out of range for a while and I don’t want to be contacted at all.”

“What if it’s about Rogue?”

Logan ground his teeth together before shrugging, “If it concerns Rogue then call me, otherwise I’ve got some stuff to do.”

“What if Rogue calls us?” the tension and unease in the girl’s voice was clear.

“She’s got my number,” Logan admitted quickly, “And she knows she can call me no matter what.”

“Okay, I’ll tell him.”

Leaning back in his seat, Logan stared out the window at the fathomless blue of the sky and smiled. The crinkle of paper near his head had him glancing up to smile at the manila envelope that was clutched in a fine boned hand.

“Thanks,” he muttered, taking it carefully. Holding it, he stared at it for a few seconds before opening it cautiously and pulling out the thick wad of paper within it.

Sitting reading over the terms of the purchase, the agreement on the money, Logan chuckled to himself. The house wasn’t huge by any stretch of the imagination, just a simple three bedroom rancher style house on ten acres in Rocky Mountain House. Ten acres of rich, fertile prairie ground that with any luck would nourish their children and their crops for years to come, that was the plan, the hope.

Flipping through the pages, he smiled broadly at the last page, the one that bore a single signature even as he traced a finger over the long dried ink, “Soon, baby, real soon we’ll both finish our voyages. Soon, we’ll have what we both want.”

“Sir, there’s a call for you,” the stewardess said softly pointing to a small, pale phone hanging on the wall.

“Thanks,” Logan reached for it and watched the woman walk away dispassionately. “Logan here.”

“You’re a hard man to track down,” the distinct sound of class and money had Logan smirking.

“Didn’t want to be found. You got a reason to call?”

“Yes, Logan, I do,” Charles’s voice held barely contained patience, “Where are you? We could use your help with a mission.”

“Nowhere you can reach me,” Logan shot back. “It’s like I told the kid, I’ve got some stuff to do – I ain’t kickin’ anyone’s ass right now.”

“Logan, I understand your need for solitude but really…”

“It ain’t solitude,” Logan shot back quickly; “I have to finish this – it means more to me than anything ever has – up to and including my past. This is my life we’re talking about.”

The delicate pause had Logan growing restless, “Rogue’s in Greece,” Charles started, “Have you talked to her lately? Have you even thought of her?”

Logan smirked and glanced out the window, “Rogue’ll make it. She’ll be home in a few weeks…”

“That isn’t the point, Logan,” Charles was clearly exasperated, “You need to tell her the truth. She’s still very much attached to you, and until you release her, she’s always going to put herself out on a limb…”

“Rogue isn’t your concern, Chuck,” Logan ground out, “She’s never been your concern right from day one. Leave her out of this, you got a bone with me cause I ain’t gonna be your little lap dog for this one, fine…but don’t you even think of bringing her into it because I will make you regret it!”

“You’re not getting what I’m trying to tell you. If the Brotherhood…”

“That’s why you have your team,” Logan replied seriously, “You got plenty of muscle, Tin-man’s there, that walkin’ Smurf is there, what do you need me for?”

“Hank is not exactly suited to this, and Piotr is too young. We need someone who can go in, be ruthless and get the information we need.”

“I’m busy. I can’t help you this time, Chuck,” Logan raked a hand through his hair, “This isn’t something I can put off a day or two. This is the difference between life and death to me, I don’t do this, I have no future.”

Logan could clearly hear Charles’s breathing and wondered if the man really understood what he was trying to say. Cracking his neck he debated telling the old man anything only to tense at the soft clearing of a throat.

“I get it,” Charles’s voice held acceptance, “I’m sorry, Logan, I shouldn’t have tried to force you to do this. When you can get back, you’re welcome to it. Until then we’ll make do.”

“Look, Chuck, any other time I’d do it no questions asked, but not this time. This time is for me.”

“Do what you have to then come home, Logan, we all look forward to your return and I’m sure Rogue will be overjoyed to see you,” Charles stated calmly, accepting the limited information he’d been given and taking the out handed to him.

“I’ll see you in a few weeks,” Logan replied before hanging up and staring at the pages in his hands, “Right after I tie up all the loose ends and we can have what we need… what we want. The X-men aren’t that important to me compared to her, to this.”

With a soft sigh and a smile Logan pulled out a cigar and stuck it between his teeth to chew on as he lost himself in thoughts of what his and Rogue’s future held.
Chapter 11 by Shadowlady
Idly twisting the tail end of her scarf in her fingers, Rogue stared out over the ocean, her gaze distant, as though she wasn’t seeing the waves of blue topped with white, or the pale feathers of sea gulls that flew overhead. Indeed she was lost in thoughts of another time, another place.

She didn’t know if she could do it, if she could be what was expected of her from the mansion residents. But she knew beyond a doubt that she could be enough for Logan, that she would be enough. Indeed, Logan was the other part of her soul and regardless of what was said or done in the past, she had faith in him.

Glancing down at her fingers, Rogue sighed. She was lonely beyond all reasoning, a deep yearning to call Logan haunting her dreams and filling her head during the day. She knew her call would be welcomed, knew he’d talk to her, help her, but she needed to do this on her own.

Rogue was the one who had to choose who she was going to be. Would she be the superhero that an X-Man ultimately had to be or would she just be plain old Marie, the girl with the toxic skin who loved a wild cage brawler?

Smiling softly, Rogue shrugged. It was merely a matter of deciding which she would be. She knew she could be both, that Logan would support her – albeit with a lot of protesting if she decided that the team was important enough for her to join, but could she handle risking her life, knowing that Logan was so willing to die to save her?

She didn’t think she could do that. The thought of him hurting was a big reason she worried about him when he went on missions. Yet part of her wanted to be on the team, wanted to contribute in return for all the things that Professor Xavier had done for her.

Growling softly Rogue shifted, pushing away from the railing and pacing. Okay so her heart wanted two things, things she knew she could have, would have, if she ever decided. The problem was could she handle losing one to the other if she made that choice?

“Of course I couldn’t,” she muttered angrily. “I mean if I lost Logan to a mission it would kill me. But waiting for him to come home, not knowing what’s happening, not being able to help him would tear me apart slowly, painfully. In the end I think it would kill us a lot faster than being on the team together.”

“So I guess I could join the team full time, be a part of it as long as I’m careful and I’m not risking too much. If I get hurt, I know he’s gonna touch me, know he’s gonna make me take a hit and it’s not worth hurting him. The only thing is if I refuse him, it’ll kill him, he’ll take it as rejection, and I can’t do that to him. So the problem isn’t do I join the team – instead it’s how much can I honestly take from Logan without feeling like a leech? If I stipulate it’s only life or death. No, he’d touch me even if it was just a broken bone or something like that. But what if…no, I can’t think bad thoughts. Okay, so I make him understand that it can’t be over some minor scratch or a few bruises. It has to be something major – he’ll accept that.”

Pacing back and forth she frowned, lost in her own thoughts. “Okay so no touching unless it’s major, no taking risks that don’t need to be taken, and it’s my choice to join the team or not! I think I can live with that. More importantly, I think Logan can live with that.”

Flopping into a chair she smiled as she glanced out over the railing, at least that problem was taken care of. Now on to the problem of getting into Logan’s bed.

Sinking her teeth into her bottom lip she chewed softly, her fingernails tapping out a rapid beat on the glass tabletop, she wondered idly about her skin. Should she make it an issue right off the bat? Should she show him it wasn’t something to be concerned about, some sick, twisted thrill for her? Perhaps if she were to dress up, to demonstrate that she was willing to take that step to protect him.

Hiding a grin she giggled softly, it sounded so ludicrous, so absurd to think about protecting Logan when Logan had done an admirable job of protecting her for so long, had given her the freedom to choose her own path. Knowing Logan, her skin would be the very least of his concerns. He would probably be more inclined to worry about her age, about his impact on her life, about things that he had no control over.

“Poor Logan has no idea that he has no control over a situation he’s not even aware he’s in. I’m a woman, not a child, and I can make up my own mind,” she muttered under her breath.

~Really? Seems to me you’ve got more than one of us up here, darlin’, that can, uh, help you choose.~ the familiar snarl that accompanied the words held more than just anger. There was also humor and affection present.

“Seems to me you’d have changed my mind long ago if that were the case,” she muttered before shaking her head. “And now I’m talking to myself.”

~Hey, I resent that!~ there was laughter in the protest.

Rising, Rogue entered her suite and poured a tall glass of juice. Plunking a straw into it, she returned to the deck and her internal debate. They’d had two whole weeks at sea after leaving port in Greece and she was determined to have this figured out and resolved before they pulled into port in Australia for the four days left before beginning the return voyage to New York.

“Okay, so that takes care of my concerns about the team,” Rogue muttered, crossing it off a mental list. “I think I’ll just give Logan a full body suit to match one of mine and ask him if he’d wear it to be with me. I could probably pick one up in Sydney. That takes care of any hesitation about my skin. I don’t think he’d refuse, unless he’s got another idea. Something he could use around my mutation – a real possibility with Logan. That man is way too prepared…ooh speaking of prepared I should go see Hank or Jean when I get back. If we’re gonna have a serious, mature relationship I should do my part to prevent a pregnancy. Although I do have to wonder about my skin, I mean what if even with it off I still hurt any baby I have? I wouldn’t want to do that, so maybe they can tell me if that’s a cause for concern. If it’s a big one then I’ll just get my tubes tied or something. After I talk to Logan he is, after all, the other half of this equation.”

~Skin ain’t an issue with me. And if we’re lucky enough to be blessed with kids, it’ll be okay,~ the inner Logan drawled, sending waves of desire racing through her body.

“Would you stop that? I’m trying to think here about serious stuff,” Rogue whimpered slightly.

~Ooh, poor Marie, can’t think and want at the same time.~ The teasing drew a low pitched growl from Rogue and was instantly squashed, silence replacing the low purr of his voice.

“Thank you,” Rogue muttered, sipping at her drink. “So that’s on my to-do list when I get home. I should probably have a good look around Sydney and see if I can pick up some really nice full bodysuits in both our sizes, as well as other things we can use in the bedroom. I want to get Logan something really nice as a present too, something that shows I’m not a kid.”

~And bodysuits aren’t it?~

“Logan, if you don’t shut up, I’m gonna let Magnet head out to play with you,” Rogue threatened angrily.

~All I’m sayin’ is you don’t need to go wasting money on the me out there. You could show up in nothing but your skin, and I’d still have you screaming my name out within ten minutes.~

Rolling her eyes, Rogue shifted, “Okay then tell me what to get him that would scream ‘I’m ready for this. I want to be with you.’”

The soft, husky chuckle that filled her mind echoed with a warmth in her body, ~Darlin’, you want us to think you’re all grown up, strut your stuff. Don’t come home swathed in layers of silk and cotton; don’t pretend that your mutation is a prison. It ain’t anymore than ours is. It’s a part of us, and we don’t care about it. Show me, show us that you’re a woman in every sense of the word, and you’ll be fine.~

“Thanks, that’s no help,” Rogue muttered even as she twisted the words around. How could she show Logan she was a woman without driving half the mansion’s residents into a flurry of stupidity? Simple: walk the walk and talk the talk. No more of the all day gossip sessions about some stupid boy in a magazine, no more whining about how much she hated her skin, no more of any of the childishness that had driven her to take this cruise. She was a woman, not a child, and it was high time she showed it. First thing when she got back, she would ask the professor for a job…a real one not just as a member of the team but a job that paid money, that made her earn her way!

Thinking hard, she sighed. There wasn’t too much she was qualified for but she could certainly offer some therapeutic thoughts to help new arrivals. Perhaps the Professor would allow her to help in that department, or maybe she could help with the cleaning and cooking. Mrs. Martin was, after all, getting older, and she had suggested more than once that she would like more help soon.

Okay, so those were two options. She also needed to find a place to live, a place to call her own. She couldn’t continue to room with Jubilee and Kitty if she wanted the world to think of her as a woman, perhaps if the Professor was agreeable she could have the corner loft in the right tower? It was spacious, and she could do some painting there as well as playing the piano.

“Alright! I think I’ve got it,” Rogue grabbed a slip of paper and a pen, “Here’s what I’m gonna need to pick up in Sydney. If I have a list then I won’t forget anything, which will be a good thing.”

The scratch of the pen on paper seemed inordinately loud as Rogue scribbled quickly; writing down what she knew she’d need to pick up. Glancing upwards, she sighed. She missed having Mr. M to talk to at times, and right now she wondered how he was doing – in a lot of ways he reminded her of Logan, the gruff exterior that hid a heart of gold, the way he’d listened to her.

“A poor substitute, though,” she muttered as she shook her head, a soft smile on her face. “But a good friend none the less. Hmm, I wonder if it would be a bit presumptuous to purchase a wedding trousseau?”

Rising to her feet, she slipped into her sandals and headed for the upper deck where she knew Mrs. Monroe was sunning. Ignoring Cherie who glared daggers at her, she trotted up the steps and over to where Mrs. Monroe lay on a lounge chair with a tall, frosty glass of something in one hand. Settling next to the older woman on a nearby chair Rogue smiled, “Mrs. Monroe, I’m not disturbing you, am I? Have you a moment?”

“For you, my dear? I’ve got all the time in the world,” the woman smiled and turned her head to look into the bright eyes of the young woman who meant so much to the recently departed guest.

“I have a question. Would it be presumptuous of me to purchase a wedding trousseau before I’ve been asked to marry someone?”

“What do you mean?” Mrs. Monroe sat up and tugged the pale silk of her wrap-around over her legs.

“Well you see, I’ve come to some conclusions during this trip and I’ve been talking to Logan and I think he might be ready to be with me. I know I’m ready to be with him, have been for a very long time. The thing is, with Logan his idea of preplanning is giving an hour’s notice. I want to have things organized so that when he does pop the big question, I’m ready…” Rogue gasped out.

“My dear slow down, catch your breath,” Mrs. Monroe smiled warmly. “There is no harm in being prepared. If you feel that a marriage proposal is going to come, then by all means purchase what you need. Just don’t do it with the expectation that he’s going to do what you want because you’re pressuring him.”

“Oh, no!” Rogue shook her head firmly, “I’ve waited for Logan for years; a couple more won’t hurt anything. It’s just; I think he’s serious now. He’s coming to realize I’m not a little girl with a bad case of ‘hero worship’ like everyone said I was. I mean a guy saves your life not once but three times, risking his own in the process, it can give a girl ideas – but the part of him in my head says it wasn’t because he wanted that from me. He did it because he had to, not because he wanted anything from me.”

Mrs. Monroe sighed and studied the young woman, her cheeks were flushed, her eyes held a happy sparkle, and there was a steely resolve to her frame. In the weeks that she’d been on board the young girl had grown into quite the woman, a woman who knew what she wanted, who she wanted, and it showed in everything about her.

Thinking back to the conversation she’d had with a certain dark, brooding man who’d hovered over Rogue while he’d been onboard. Mrs. Monroe hid a grin, Mr. Mustelidae wasn’t a man who made decisions lightly – he wanted Rogue in all her glory, deadly skin and all, and he’d take her to places no one had ever been to. Beyond the physical aspects, beyond the lethal claws and lethal skin there were two very delicate hearts that yearned to be close, that over time had grown to care less and less about what others thought and more and more about what the other wanted.

There was no doubt in her mind that the pair would make it, that they could survive anything with a love as strong, as healthy, and as determined as theirs. “Answer me one question, Rogue,” Mrs. Monroe spoke softly as she reached over to pat her on the knee, “If tomorrow fate were to intervene and take away your control, if you had to choose between a world where you had to dress in yards of satin and silk to have Logan or a world of touches and physical freedom without him – what would your choice be?”

“The silk and satin,” Rogue replied softly, seriously, her tone firm, unyielding. “Logan is more important to me than touch any day of the week.”

Nodding, Mrs. Monroe chuckled, “Have fun shopping, Rogue.”

Rising, Rogue leaned over to hug the older woman, “Thank you. You’ve been a good friend to me.”

Chuckling, Mrs. Monroe shrugged, “You are very welcome, my dear. You are very welcome.”

Watching the young woman all but race across the deck and head for the stairwell Mrs. Monroe chuckled, glancing up quickly at the appearance of a slight shadow over her, “Eavesdropping now are we?” she muttered reaching up to take the hand that fell on her shoulder.

“No, just watching a woman in love, who is going to be royally pissed when she finds out that she’s been played,” Mr. Monroe declared, sinking into the chair Rogue had vacated.

“She’ll be pissed for a while, but then she’ll get over it, I think,” she drawled as she turned to stare at her husband, “After all, we both know that those in New York wouldn’t have let them be together any other way.”

“Only you would give a man a house and some acreage as a wedding present despite the fact that he hasn’t asked her to marry him yet.”

Laughing softly, she shrugged, “I owed him.”

Glancing at his wife, he shrugged and pulled her closer to his body, “We both do.”

Shivering at the reminder of the group of young men who’d been beating on her husband, who’d been willing to kill to get a few dollars, she clung tighter, thankful that at that moment they’d been given a guardian angel in the form of a rough, crass, hardened mutant named Logan aka Wolverine. “Seems a small price to pay for your life, my dear,” she whispered as she glanced at him. “A house, a trip on a boat for two young people? Not hardly enough!”

“Not hardly,” he agreed kissing her hand gently, a slight scar on his own a silent reminder of a debt that they could never really repay!
Chapter 12 by Shadowlady
The sound of traffic after the silence of the ocean grated on Rogue’s nerves as she moved through the crowded streets. Pausing in front of a window, she smiled softly and hurried to the door. Slipping inside, she frowned slightly. An annoying buzz on the back of her neck followed by the low, angry snarl of Logan in her head and Magneto’s sudden tensing told her that she was being followed.

Subtly glancing behind her, she swore as she realized who the fool was that had been following her. Shaking her head, she glanced around and noted the number of people present even as she shifted, waiting for him to make a move.

“Good afternoon, I’m Marissa,” the accented voice belonged to an older woman who smiled warmly at Rogue where she stood by the door.

“Afternoon. I, uh, know I don’t have an appointment. I came in on…”

“No problem,” the woman waved away her concern. “You seem a bit tense, is there a problem?”

“Another person from the cruise I’m on is following me. He hasn’t really gotten it into his head that I’m not interested, despite the repeated brush offs,” Rogue explained softly. “I’ll deal with him later.”

“Nonsense,” the woman stated calmly, her gaze scanning the crowd behind the young woman. “We don’t allow that sort of thing around here. I’ll inform security,” she reached over and pushed a small button summoning the doorman.

Stepping past the woman, Rogue eyed the clothing hanging on racks around the room, only half paying attention to the whispered conversation between the woman and the tall, broad shoulder man standing there with an impassive look upon his face.

Catching sight of a black silk robe, she moved closer to it and pulled it out, staring at the embroidered designs even as she smiled slightly. Perhaps they had one that was big enough for Logan; she didn’t think he’d refuse to wear it.

“Now that the unpleasantness is dealt with, what can I do for you?”

“I’m, uh, I’m doing my shopping for my wedding and honeymoon,” Rogue stated calmly, softly. No one needed to know he hadn’t asked her yet… this was about being prepared, showing him she was a woman, an adult.

“Okay. What would you like?”

“Everything,” Rogue giggled softly. “I need everything from the skin out for myself and I want to get him something that he can wear as well.”

“What interests do you share? Any particular bedroom games you enjoy playing?”

Rogue gave a hint of a smile, “We like to dress up.”

“Dress up?” the woman frowned, “I’m afraid we don’t carry…”

“Not in costumes,” Rogue raised a hand, “Um, my skin reacts when its touched, it hurts people so we, um, we have to wear body suits.”

“All the time?” the woman looked shocked, horrified, and sympathetic.

“Only when I’m super excited or stressed. A wedding sorta stresses people out and we just want to be sure that we both have protection. Don’t want to hurt him on our wedding night.”

“Oh, okay,” with a quick nod the woman scanned the room. “Well, we do have several suits that cover from head to toe in various colors, styles, shades. Are you in town for a while?”

“Yes,” Rogue agreed.

“Perfect, if you don’t find something we have that you like I can have it specially made for you. It usually takes a day to get it back though.”

“That’s okay. Let’s have a look, shall we?” Rogue smiled, at ease as the woman went through the various lingerie items they had, as well as the body suits. Picking out a couple that she knew Logan would like in his size she also made several selections for herself.

When Marissa turned to set another item on the counter Rogue caught sight of an outfit hanging on a rack. Reaching over she picked it up and studied it, a slow, appreciative grin crossing her face.

“This as well,” she said holding it up and handing it to Marissa, “Do you have it in dark green as well as the white?”

Marissa smiled, “I think so. But if you really like that one, I might have something else you’d enjoy. Right over here,” pulling the dark forest green piece off the rack she held it up and glanced at Rogue, “Well?”

“Both. I’ll take both in my size,” Rogue smirked, “After all a girl can’t have too many. I’ll also need at least a dozen pairs or more of matching panties, bikini cut as well as thong, and one or two strapless bras.”

“Stockings?”

Rogue frowned slightly, “I never even thought of that. I suppose I will need them, especially for under my wedding dress. Is there a good shop here that…?”

“Down the street about three blocks is a place called Artemis, tell them I sent you and be prepared to be dazzled. If they don’t have it, you don’t want it.”

“Thank you; I’m gonna pay for this and head over, would you mind wrapping it and I’ll pick it up later?”

“Not at all, Rogue,” Marissa said following Rogue to the counter. “I’ll have George there escort you down the block. That bloke doesn’t need to be haunting your every step.”

“Thank you,” with a grin, Rogue offered the slim silver card that was directly linked to her bank account in New York. An account that no one not even the Professor knew about – after all a girl had to have some secrets. After paying for her purchases, Rogue slipped out of the boutique and headed down the street with George.

When he left her at the door to the bridal shop, Rogue sighed. Obviously that dick of Cherie’s hadn’t gotten the hint, he was lounging against the window of another store a few feet away, staring at her.

Glaring at him, she jerked open the door and stepped inside to be greeted by a tall, willowy redhead whose name tag read Nicki, who eyed her distrustfully, “Can I help you?”

“Uh, yes, Marissa from Trighton’s Lingerie sent me. I’m looking for a bridal gown.”

Instantly the girl’s smile warmed, her posture relaxed and she took Rogue’s arm, “Come in then. I’m sorry we’ve had some rather unsightly people in lately that, well, damaged a couple of the gowns beyond repair and it was a rather ugly scene. I jumped to the conclusion that you were…” the girl paused and waved her hands away, “Forgive me.”

“Of course,” Rogue smirked at her. “I have an idea of what I want, what’s the possibility of you having it?”

“Describe it, honey,” the girl winked at her.

~I sure as hell hope you ain’t going in for one of those upside down bowl skirted things. I wanna be able to see you under the satin y’know.~ Logan’s whisper had her giggling in her mind.

“Something sinfully sexy, strapless and fitted, I don’t want a long train, but it must be able to fit a corset under it.”

“Corset?”

“Something my other half likes the look of,” Rogue replied softly, “Got anything like that?”

“Several,” Nicki declared and led the way to the back of the store where a rack hung. Sorting through the gowns, she pulled three off the rack and hung them nearby before turning to face the girl who had entered the shop. “You like these ones?”

“Yes,” Rogue nodded softly, thoughtfully, the low, pleased purr in her mind telling her Logan liked them too.

Both women glanced up at the jingle of the bell and Rogue tensed as she recognized the blonde haired snake that walked toward her. Clenching her fists she glared at him. She was unwilling to make a scene and ruin her shopping trip, and yet she wanted to have her space and to be left alone. Mentally shrugging the possibility of making a purchase here goodbye she shifted, her body taking on the stance Logan had taught her for a fight.

“There you are, darlin’,” he smirked at her as he walked up closer than was safe. “How goes the shopping?”

“Don’t you understand English?” Rogue hissed as he moved even closer and pressed against her. Pushing him away, she glared, “Or are you just too stupid to?”

“She can be a bit temperamental,” he smiled charmingly at the sales girl and leaned in closer to Rogue, “What, I’m not good enough for you? You like ‘em mute? Was he good in the sack?” he whispered softly, blowing on her neck even as he leaned toward her a little more.

“Back off,” Rogue hissed angrily, “Or you’re gonna be wishing you hadn’t met me.”

“Ooh, such a feisty little girl. I like that,” he drawled.

“Listen Regibald or whatever you wanna call yourself it’s really plain and simple. Fuck off!” Rogue snarled grabbing his throat in a move she knew Scott had never taught them, “I won’t tell you again. In fact, you come near me again and I will clean the decks with your face. Understand that?”

The garbled sound of his breathing did little to ease her anger, “I am not a holiday fling, nor am I interested in having an affair with a married man. I have a real man waiting for me at home…”

“Some stupid redneck cage brawler?” he croaked.

“Yeah, some stupid, redneck cage brawler with six nine inch long adamantium claws in each hand and the skill to use them to take your buttons off your coat or shave your head! You touch me again, you even come within arms reach of me and I will call him and he will be here within a half hour and he will kick your ass right after I finish stomping you into the ground! And while you’re laying there bleeding and moaning at the pain of broken bones he’ll fuck me hard enough to rock the entire boat! Get the fuckin’ picture?” dropping him she sucked in a quick breath and turned to Nicki, “I do apologize. I’ll leave before you…”

“No, no,” Nicki held up a hand and smiled softly. “I’ll have someone escort him back to his hotel or wherever he’s staying. It’s obvious to me that you were provoked and you didn’t do any damage.”

Standing panting Rogue glared at the man on the floor who lay trying to collect his breath, “You never learn, do you? Figure because you’ve got money that every woman wants you… frankly I’d rather stick with my friends, my family, with my redneck Logan because you aren’t worth the effort it would take to wash your filth off of me!”

Watching him being carted off, Rogue sighed as she realized she’d revealed that at least Logan was a mutant in front of people she didn’t know. ~Oh God, Logan, I’m so sorry! I didn’t think…~

~Hey, you did what you had ta to protect yourself from that bastard without using your skin. I’ll live with these people knowing I’m a mutant.~

~But, I shouldn’t have said that. I should have thought it through first! God how stupid, how childish…~

~No, not childish. You’re all woman. You didn’t hide behind me; you merely reinforced the fact that I exist. I’m proud of you, baby.~

“Would you like a glass of water or something?” Nicki asked softly, aware of the turmoil in the woman’s eyes.

Rogue exhaled shakily and shook her head, “No, I’m fine. I just lost it there for a moment. Please, I’m fine.”

“I’ll get you one regardless,” Nicki said and hurried off. A moment later she was back with a tall bottle of water, “Here you are. Uh, did you want sequins?”

“Sure, pearls, sequins, beads, whatever. I know how much I’m looking to spend; I’ll know the gown as soon as I see it!”


Twenty minutes later Rogue gasped as she stared at the gown in front of her. The gown was exactly what she’d wanted, a deep plunging V neckline with an empire waist and beautiful flow detail.

“What’s the lace at the bottom?”

“Ivory Alençon Lace peeks out of the neckline and hem,” Nicki stated calmly. “It’s actually one of our best dresses made by Alvin Valenta. The train is a sweep train if you’re curious.”

“Perfect, I love it. The only problem I might have is alterations…”

“We can courier it back and forth if you like or if you’ve got a tailor back home…”

“My undergarments are being packed up as we speak,” Rogue sighed and smiled at Nicki, “I’ll fetch them and be right back. As long as I’m wearing them, we should have an idea of what would need to be adjusted and what won’t.”

Nicki nodded and watched Rogue hurry off, leaving the gown and her shoes. Shaking her head the woman sighed, obviously this woman knew exactly what she wanted, glancing at the dress she chuckled, it would be a good commission if she up sold her but did she really want to? The woman probably knew more about what she wanted than anyone else did and it didn’t matter what she offered – if it wasn’t wanted it wouldn’t be purchased!



Two hours later Rogue sat at a sidewalk café nursing a cup of coffee even as she noticed the familiar figure of the ship’s Captain approaching. With a sigh she shrugged, it had been nice while it lasted but even she knew she couldn’t nearly choke the man and expect to get away with it.

“I hear you’ve been busy,” settling across from her, the Captain smiled.

“Yeah, well, I don’t take kindly to having some dick shove himself against me,” Rogue grumbled.

“So I heard. He wants you thrown off the ship.”

Rogue stared out over the street, enjoying the moment of hustle and bustle, “So are you going to do as he asks?”

“Depends on what you want. Somehow I doubt if he’s going to forgive and forget. It may be a risk to continue on the voyage,” he explained. “Personally I’d rather have you on board then him but as I said it’s your decision.”

“I did pay for a round trip,” Rogue pointed out softly. “And while I’m not adverse to losing money, I just don’t want to do it because I’m not about to let someone try to coerce me into having sex with him.”

A quick nod of agreement, “I’ll pay for your return home to New York on a jet if you’d like.”

Rogue slid a glance at him, “You’ll explain to the Monroes? I don’t want them to think this is their fault or the result of anything they’ve done.”

“I’ll be very clear when I explain that you’ve decided to return to New York. What do you want me to do with Reginald?”

“You could throw him overboard in shark infested waters and I’d be happy but that’s not likely to happen so do the one thing that he’d hate. Shun his wife so she spends time with him!”

Chuckling at her words, he nodded, “Did you still have some shopping to do?”

“Yeah, give me another day before my flight out,” Rogue sighed before looking at her companion for the moment, “It’s high time I went home and faced my future anyway.”

“He’s a very lucky man, Rogue,” with a smile he rose, “And if he loves you half as much as you love him, you’ll both be okay.”

Nodding, Rogue settled back in her chair, content for the moment. She still had a few things to pick up but she’d be home soon and then…Then Logan wouldn’t know what hit him. His little Marie, the scrawny kid from his trailer had grown into a woman and she wanted her man!
Chapter 13 by Shadowlady
“So I hear you’re going to be leaving us,” Cherie’s tone dripped with victory and a smug satisfaction.

Turning her head, Rogue eyed the woman for a moment, “I didn’t hear you knock; did you forget your polished manners?”

“Door was open,” Cherie replied sweetly, eying the gifts that were still stacked in Rogue’s room. Plucking at a bolt of bright sunny yellow she grimaced before dropping it and dusting her hands off. “Pity you can’t finish the cruise...”

“Can’t isn’t the word,” Rogue replied seriously as she rose and faced the other woman, “I won’t. As long as that creep you call a husband is on board I won’t be. Now I paid for my voyage, I didn’t pay to get groped or treated like a two bit whore. If you don’t mind, I still have some packing to do and you are in the way,” pushing the woman out of her room, Rogue slammed the door shut and sighed. She was glad to be rid of Cherie at least.

A soft knock a moment later had Rogue jerking the door open expecting Cherie to be still standing there, “Oh Mrs. Monroe, please come in,” stepping back she let the older woman in. “How are you today?”

“Well,” Mrs. Monroe said with a smile. Holding up a small box she handed to Rogue, “Just a little something from Frank and me, we’re going to miss you.”

Taking it Rogue opened the box and chuckled at the delicate chain inside that had a single sailboat charm on it, “Thank you.”

“You are very welcome,” Mrs. Monroe replied and hugged the girl, “Just remember something for me okay?”

“Sure,” Rogue smiled at her as the older woman started out of the room, “What is it?”

“Sometimes a man does things so out of character that you wouldn’t know him because he’s in love. Give him a chance to explain,” she said and slipped from the room closing the door softly, leaving Rogue with a stunned expression.
“What the heck does that mean?” Rogue frowned and sighed, determined to figure it out later…much later!

After making sure that everything was packed and her room was empty of all personal affects Rogue grabbed her purse and headed for shore. She would be spending the night here in Sydney before flying out the next morning and she wanted to be able to relax and not worry about Reginald the Creep!



Smirking at the sight of the hot tub in her room, Rogue shook her head before wondering why she couldn’t have that where Logan was. Thinking of him, she sighed. She’d managed to get everything she wanted done up to and including the clothes they’d need if her control slipped. Now all she had to do was think of a way to talk Professor X into finding him for her.

Stripping down, Rogue gave one last paranoid check of her hotel door, ensuring that all the locks including the deadbolt had been secured before flicking her skin on and retreating to the tub to do some hardcore relaxing.

Sinking into the rolling, twisting hot water, she sighed as the heat stung her skin then slowly eased the tension and worry from her body. Leaning her head back she sighed again. She loved the gown she’d bought, loved everything about the clothes, the suits, the shoes, the total lack of gloves, and she knew Logan would understand what she was saying when she gave him his.

~What do you think Chuck and the X-geeks are gonna say?~

“You have to spoil my groove, don’t you,” she muttered quickly. “It’s not up to them.”

~It is up to them. If you live with them, they have a right to gossip and voice their opinions… wanted or not.~

“What would they say, though?” Rogue pondered that, “I mean both Scott and Jean would be all upset. Scott would be his usual, ‘he’s too crass and untamed,’ Jean would be upset but I think it’s just because she’s still lusting after your ass, Logan,” Rogue paused at a familiar mental snicker.

~Lust all she wants, baby, you and I both know I wouldn’t do anything with her.~

“The only reason you’re still up there, baby, and relatively free.”

~Okay, what about Chuck, Storm, Hank, and the Popsicle?~

“Charles I think wouldn’t have too much of a problem with it. After all he knows more than he ever says anyway. I think he knew long before now that I didn’t just have a silly school girl crush on you. Besides, can you see him really complaining about something that doesn’t have a direct influence on the cause?”

~No, no, I can’t. Doesn’t mean much though, still have to deal with Storm, Hank, and Popsicle boy.~

Chuckling, Rogue shook her head, “Bobby wouldn’t say a thing. He’s too busy trying to get into Kitty’s pants.”

~Still stings, huh?~

“No,” Rogue sighed and rested one foot on the edge of the hot tub, “It’s more a matter of pride. I mean how desperate did he want to touch that he had to cheat? Sure my skin was a problem but still, if he really loved me…”

~He’s a dick. What about the others?~

“Storm’s too busy trying to be calm, cool, collected, the epitome of a goddess to worry about my sorry excuse of a love life. Besides that, she’s my friend as long as I’m happy why would she say something. Hank, he doesn’t care one way or the other. He’s got his experiments, his friends, his entire life to focus on – my sex life or lack thereof is of no concern to him.”

~If they don’t approve what are you going to do? Worse case scenario, baby.~

Rogue smiled, trailing her hands through the water over her curves enjoying the tingling, the hum of her body as her mutation flowed through her, “It’s my life, their disapproval would hurt for a bit, but I’ll get over it. After all I’m not planning on living and sleeping with them for a very long time…I want you.”

~Nice to know, ~ the soft snicker drew a grin from her as she slid deeper into the hot, frothy water.

No matter what anyone said she knew where her place was, knew whom she belonged to and she was content with that. The truth was that she’d heard every protest anyone in the mansion could come up with at least once, shortly after Logan had left when she was still a teenager, after the Lady Liberty incident.

She’d weathered that storm then, and she’d weather this one if there was one. Smirking to herself, she realized that she really had grown up. She wasn’t so desperate for approval and affection that she would allow another to make her choices for her, even Logan’s input had been considered, weighed, and she’d taken only what she wanted to from his words. Not that she had any illusions, she knew beyond a doubt that her and Logan would have a long, sometimes rocky road ahead of them, after all you couldn’t chain the wind and Logan needed to be on the move, needed to be free even if he was with her, just as she did.

Shifting, she leaned forward and rose to her feet, the water sluicing down her body in tiny little rivers, tracing over flesh she wanted Logan to touch. Grabbing a towel she wrapped it around herself before padding into the other room.

Picking up the phone, she ordered dinner and sat back on the bed to watch the sun fade away into the night. The darkness that so many feared called to her, soothed her and she shifted, rubbing her bare feet against the satin comforter as she thought of Logan being with her.

Scanning the room she giggled, the furniture in this room was beautiful but not made for an adamantium frame and she would have to be sure wherever they went on their honeymoon the furniture was reinforced to some degree – after all she didn’t want Logan to break the bed making love to her!
Chapter 14 by Shadowlady
Plunking her butt down on the cab seat, Rogue wondered how the hell she’d managed to waste four months of her life on the ocean. While her emotional side had gotten worked out, she had no physical items that said ‘Yes, I did something constructive’. She didn’t count the piles of gifts, of trinkets – they weren’t hers – and the clothes she’d purchased meant nothing until she had Logan’s reaction to them. She’d spent more money than she’d ever believed herself capable of, bought things that no one in their right mind would have ever paid for … somehow she felt happier, lighter than even she’d hoped for.

Gone were the stresses of having to deal with people who didn’t understand the pain of being imprisoned within your own skin. Gone were the days when she was worried about touching someone, worried about hurting them, she’d come to terms with all that and more through having control.

Her skin had become nothing more than a thought, a whisper in the back of her mind and she wanted Logan to know it. Wanted him to understand that she wouldn’t let it come between her and what she really, truly wanted in life.

She’d come to understand herself a lot more. Come to realize that she was only as good as her word, as her heart, and her heart longed for another. She would do whatever she had to in order to keep Logan close, to make him hers.

Of course she had butterflies in her stomach as she thought of what Logan might have to say about her little plan. But those butterflies weren’t enough to stop her from wanting him, needing him. His calls, though infrequent, had been a highlight of her day when they’d come, and she’d missed him like crazy. Mix that with her own jumble of emotions and if given half an inch she’d turn into a raving lunatic.

Smiling to herself, she watched the landscape fly by; soon she would talk to Logan again. Soon she’d see him face to face, she could explain things to him and hopefully, he’d see she was right. She could picture it now; she’d corner him in some run down hotel room and lay it all out for him… once he saw she wasn’t some little girl with a crush he’d know. He’d see what she was offering, and he’d take it and never look back.

Now half a mile from the Mansion and utterly exhausted, she smirked. She was so close. All she wanted was eight hours of uninterrupted sleep before she got started on tracking down Logan and making him see what she’d figured out!


Getting back home, she quickly unloaded her bags from the cab, and started inside only to be intercepted by none other than the most well-meaning, of course, but still annoying friend she had.

“So how was it? Did you shag anyone?” Jubilee giggled at Rogue’s dark look.

“No, I did not shag anyone,” Rogue replied tiredly and shrugged. “I’m tired, I’m hungry, and all I want is a nice hot bath. Please tell me that I still have a bed to crash into.”

Jubilee cracked her gum, “Sure, but you’ve got like a thousand packages stacked on it. They started showing up just after you called from St. Thomas Island.”

“What? I haven’t sent anything home since Greece and that package won’t be here until tomorrow or the next day.”

“Got your name on them and that’s it.”

Stalking up the stairs, Rogue nearly slammed the door into the wall as she entered her room, only to come to a dead halt as her eyes fell on the stack of boxes, bags, and other packages on her bed.

Moving forward she picked up the single envelope in the stack and opened it.

“A wise woman once told me that love is a fairytale. I don’t know, seems to me that love can save you from your demons if you let it. I miss you,” the familiar looking scrawl read.

Frowning at the page, she turned to glance at Jubilee who stood behind her, “What is this? I don’t have a secret admirer. Hell, I don’t have an admirer at all. Bobby’s relationship with Kitty has taken care of that, and even when I was the object of his affection, he never made gestures like this for me.”

She refused to consider, to even hope, that it might be Logan that he would reveal himself as her admirer, her potential lover. She refused to believe that things might be that easy, that she could have it all without having to beat it into his head.

Jubilee shrugged and pulled out a long, thin, exquisitely wrapped package from her pocket, “This arrived this morning. I haven’t been upstairs since it arrived to put it with the rest.”

Taking it with shaking fingers, Rogue tore off the paper and opened the thin gold box to stare in shocked horror at what lay inside. A simple necklace made of shells and a shiny metal lay on a bed of white satin. Set in the largest shell was a small, red stone and on either side were two initials.

“L and M,” Jubilee whistled. “Wonder who that is.”

Rogue swallowed and shook her head, “He said it was for her. He said…”

“Who said what?” Jubilee demanded at her friend’s shocked whisper.

Catching sight of the small, folded card lying under the end of the necklace Rogue moved away from Jubilee and sank onto the edge of the bed to unfold the card and read it. Something told her that she’d been played, that she’d been made into a fool, and she would kill whoever did this.

~Dear Marie; you aren’t a fool, and you haven’t been played. I needed to show you what you meant to me, without the geeks interfering. If you want to chew me out, which I’m sure you will, you’ll find a truck parked in the garage with your name on it. It’s black, and the key is under the front driver’s side fender. L.~

Closing her eyes, Rogue stood and tucked the note and necklace into her pocket.

“I’ve got to go,” she said and hurried out to the garage.

“Go where?” Jubilee demanded as she saw the confused expression of the cab driver who stood holding a large black garment bag, a suitcase, and a camera case.

“I don’t know yet,” Rogue hollered back.

Stepping into the garage she froze, sitting parked in a spot usually occupied by Logan’s bike was a shiny black four-wheel drive pickup. The license read ROGUE1, and a white streak had been airbrushed along the side of it.

Marching over to the fender she pulled out the key wrapped in a slim, well-worn piece of paper. Opening it, she stared at an address ten miles away for a moment before unlocking the door and getting in the cab.

The roar of the engine had Jubilee peaking out of Rogue’s bedroom window before turning to the young man standing impatiently, his face a mask of confusion.

“Where do you want this stuff?”

“Here, I’ll take ‘em.” Jubilee volunteered quickly and hung them up as the driver scurried back out to his cab.

A few minutes later she sat on the bed, her head tilted to one side as she pondered her curiosity. To peak or not to. Mentally shrugging her better nature aside, Jubilee stood and paced over to start opening the garment bags.

“OH MY GOD!” She nearly choked on her gum, and her raised voice had Kitty, Ororo, and Jean rushing into the room.

“What? What’s wrong?” Kitty panted.

Jubilee whimpered and pointed to the gown she’d uncovered before looking around the room in confusion. “What in the hell is going on?”

“I don’t know, but I’d kill to have a ring side seat,” Jean drawled staring at the expensive gown hanging within the bag. She’d seen one like it in town and it had cost more than she’d wanted to pay.

“Where is Rogue?”

“Took off in that new black truck that showed up two days ago.”

“Logan’s gonna get his ass kicked,” Kitty giggled.

Jean glanced at Ororo who merely smiled slightly and shrugged, “Something tells me he’s looking forward to it!”
Chapter 15 by Shadowlady
Voyages
Chapter Fifteen
Shadowlady
robbijo2000 at yahoo dot com
R
Romance
Archive: Yes please, pretty please with cherries and sugar ribbons on top.
Summary: Rogue takes a holiday and meets a stranger.
Continuity: Post X3 but ignoring Jean and Xavier's deaths (and his resurrection)
Author's Note: Thanks so much to Jenni for the beta and the great ideas…



The sight of the small single story rancher style house had Rogue slowing the truck. She was torn between anger and fear. Fear that she’d misread Logan, and that he wouldn’t believe her, that he’d still see her as a child and not the woman she was. Anger at the thought that he’d played her like an instrument. He’d made a fool of her, used her feelings toward him to use and humiliate her. A sort of lesson if she thought about it that way.

Parking the truck, she walked up the steps. Rogue wiped her hands on her hips nervously. She knocked on the door, only slightly surprised to see it swing open at her touch.

“Hello?” Rogue walked further into the house, closing the door quietly. The décor was more suited to an elderly couple than to Logan, and she wondered what was going on.

“Hey.” Logan’s soft tone had her whirling to face him. He leaned against the doorjamb, his face expressionless. A slight tension filled his body as she moved toward him, but he remained silent and still.

“Did you have fun?” Rogue asked softly, a hint of anger in her voice.

“Fun?”

“Humiliating me? Taking what I said and having a good laugh at it. You must have had quite a few the way I went on about how great you were.”

“I’ve never laughed at you.”

“No. Just managed to get on a ship where I can’t walk away from you and then trying to seduce me into letting go.”

Logan shook his head. “That wasn’t it. I needed a chance to show you.”

“To show me what?” Rogue hissed, circling the room with short, choppy movements. “That I’m not more than a foolish little girl in your mind?”

“You’re a woman, not a child.” Logan replied softly. “I needed you to see what we could have. You had to choose us, choose me. I wasn’t… I won’t force you into a situation that you don’t want.”

“I had to choose?” Rogue shouted at him. “Funny, I didn’t see *you* making a choice. All I see is you lying to me for weeks! For what? Some sort of lesson to show that you can make me insane?”

“No.” Logan straightened slightly. “To show you what kind of woman I see when I look at you. To show you that whatever we have is your choice. If all you want is my friendship than you’ve got it, but…”

“But?”

“But if you want more… if you want me, all you have to do is say so. What happens between us is up to you.”

“Don’t put it on my shoulders, Logan. I’m not the one that dressed up like some ‘Scott-wannabe’ and seduced you into…”

“It wasn’t supposed to happen like that. I kissed you and I couldn’t stop myself, okay? I wanted you to love me. To prove to yourself that the man I am, the wild, untamed drifter is what you want. I’m never going to be that man, Marie. I’ll never wake up one morning and find that I’m a rich man with nothing better to do than go through life making decisions that affect other lives.”

“Funny, you seemed…”

“Think about it, Marie. Everything I told you, every syllable, every word, was all about you. I told you what was in my heart in the only way I could. If I’d tried here the entire mansion would have had their noses stuck in it. I made a choice to show you how I feel without the influence of Xavier and his money. I wanted you to see what you could have with someone like that…and to want me enough to look past the trappings.”

Staring at him, Rogue shook her head. “You lied to me.”

“No, I didn’t. I never lied. Not once. I hid who I was from you to let you make your mind up. I let you listen to your heart. If it hadn’t worked…if you’d chosen one of them, it would have killed me but I would have let you go. The whole voyage was about discovering what was in our hearts. I tried to love you, that’s all.”

Biting her lip, Rogue turned her head to stare at the wall. “I feel so used, Logan…”

“You’re not used. I would never do that. I know I have a lot of ground to make up and I’m willing to beg if I need to. I’ll swallow my pride and do whatever you want of me. Just don’t let your anger distract you from what I tried to do.”

Rogue stared at him. There was honesty, trust in his gaze. She could clearly see that he loved her, he wanted her. Beneath that though she could see the fear, the uncertainty, and she knew deep inside that he hadn’t wanted to hurt her. He’d done what he had to make a point, and it had come at a cost he wasn’t too sure he could pay. He’d done the only thing he could. He’d let her make her choice based on what was in her heart and mind…not on what he said.


Logan watched her thinking, a knot forming in his stomach. Perhaps he’d pushed her too far, too fast. He’d conceivably lost his only chance with her and that hurt. Could he walk away from her now? If he had to, he’d do it. He’d find the strength somewhere inside and do whatever it took to make her happy.

Stalking up to him, she watched him brace himself for a blow. She stared at him for a split second more in silence. “Damn you.” Standing on her toes she pressed against him, kissing him with the passion she’d long denied herself.

Moaning softly at the way his arms wrapped around her, she pressed closer to him. Her arms tangling around his neck, her fingers buried in his hair.

“Don’t leave me,” he whispered between kisses. “Please. Let me love you.”

“Yes.” Rogue whispered, kissing him again. Her hands tangled in his hair as he grabbed her ass and pulled her flush against him. Moaning at the feel of the heat from his groin, she wiggled in his grasp. She arched against him, making both of them groan at the pleasure washing over them. “Make love to me, Logan. Make me yours.”

Scooping her into his arms, he headed down the hallway. Nudging the door to a bedroom open, he kicked it shut and silently offered another round of thanks to the Monroe’s for the never ending generosity.

Moving carefully, lovingly, Logan set her down next to his bed and smiled. He traced a finger over her face, his gaze followed his finger. The platinum streaks around her face reminded him of how precious her life was to him.

“What?” She asked softly when he simply continued to stare at her.

“I couldn’t live without you, Marie. I’d do whatever I had to in order to keep you safe. I want you to know that.”

“Come on. I’ll protect you.” She could clearly see the desperation, the fear that clouded his gaze and offered the only thing she could to show him she had made her choice.

“You promise?”

Rogue smiled softly at his question. She remembered when she’d asked him that, remembered just what it meant to both of them. “I promise, Logan.”

Chuckling, Logan bore her to the bed. He’d show her with his hands and mouth just how much he worshiped her. First, though, he had to prove a point. Reaching past her, he pulled open a dresser drawer and pulled something out.

“Don’t go anywhere. I’ll be right back.” He whispered, sliding from the bed and disappearing into the bathroom.

Resting on her elbows, Rogue frowned at the thud from the bathroom. Logan couldn’t be so shy as to want to undress in the bathroom, so what was he doing? A moment later, she smiled through her tears as she realized what he’d done. He’d read her deepest, darkest fear and responded to it.

Holding out her arms, she sobbed softly as he moved into them. “I love you, Logan.”

“I love you too.” He murmured, his lips already working on her throat, his hands easing her clothes from her body. “I’m gonna prove it to you, darlin’, every day for the rest of our lives.”

Staring into his eyes, Rogue nodded, “Just so you know, I’m still pissed about your little game.”

“Be pissed. Be furious. Hit me if you want. Just don’t ever leave me.” Logan whispered brokenly.

“Never.” Rogue moaned softly before pulling him back into her arms and kissing him senseless.



“So what else did you buy on your trip?” Logan asked, lazily tracing hearts on her upper arm.

“I’ll show you when we get back to the mansion.” Rogue giggled and glanced at where his silk encased hand rested on her flesh. “When did you get this?”

“I had it made in Greece. I figured I’d have to prove that your skin wasn’t an issue if you ever forgave me for my little demonstration.”

Rogue laughed. “It’ll go real well with the ones I bought in Australia.”

“Do tell.”

“I’d rather show you.” Rogue replied turning onto her back in his arms. “I’m never going to let you go, Logan. I want you to know that.”

Logan smiled and kissed her gently. “Just wait until I show you what else I have for you. For us.”

“Oh? What?” Rogue asked as he moved, climbing out of bed and padding to the dresser in all his nearly-naked glory.

A moment later, Logan closed the drawer and hurried back to the bed. Crawling across it, he settled next to her and smiled, “Marie, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife? Will you hold my hand until we’re too old to remember what life was like without the other in it?”

Rogue gasped, her hand flying over her mouth as she stared at the simple engagement ring that sat nestled in blue velvet. “Yes, Logan! YES, YES, YES!”

Laughing together they fell back amongst the tangled bedding, their arms wrapped tightly around each other.

“We’ll go back to the mansion tomorrow. And then we’ll go home to Rocky Mountain House.” Logan whispered in her ear. “Tonight, tonight, I want to hold you.”

Rogue nodded. “Sounds good, Logan. Sounds very, very good.”

“You, uh, have any guesses on how that bunch is gonna react?” Logan asked as he kissed her shoulder.

Rogue giggled. “Oh, yes. I can see it now. They’ll act like they were the ones that came up with the idea. Be all in our faces and business…”

“Oh God.” Logan groaned amid Rogue’s laughter.

Tomorrow was going to be hell and he knew it. Somehow though, he was looking forward to it.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=688