Everything Else by Victoria P
Summary: "It was about touching, and skin, and touching skin. I'll never have that. And I can't give it to you."
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 593 Read: 2210 Published: 11/05/2003 Updated: 11/05/2003

1. Chapter 1 by Victoria P

Chapter 1 by Victoria P
Author's Notes:
Thanks to Jen, Pete/Melissa, Dot, and Meg. Written for cschoolgirl for Project Ficlet. She gave me this phrase: "Nights without armor."
Rogue, Storm and Jubilee were shelving books in the library when Rogue found it.

"Nights Without Armor," Rogue said to Jubilee, looking at the book thoughtfully. "It's missing a 'k,' don't you think?"

"What?"

Rogue gestured with the book. "This book. Shouldn't it be 'Knights,' with a 'k?'"

"We are the Knights who say, 'Ni!'" Jubilee snickered.

"Um, not Python knights, but like, knights in shining armor. More Ivanhoe than Holy Grail."

"Open it up and let's see."

"Your knight doesn't have armor," Storm pointed out.

Rogue blushed. Her relationship with Logan was still very new. She wasn't quite used to the reality of their being together.

"Sure he does," Jubilee argued. "It's just on the inside."

"I don't think that counts," Storm said.

"Sure it does. Otherwise, he's a knight in shining leather. And as attractive as Wolvie in leather is, it's just not the same thing."

"Well, the book is called 'Knights Without Armor,'" Storm replied, "so Logan would fit the description."

"Actually, it's 'Nights Without Armor,' without a 'k,'" Rogue said. "Which makes it less about actual damsel-rescuing knights in armor and more about... not sleeping in chainmail?"

Jubilee flipped through the book and began reading a page at random. Her eyes widened and she started giggling helplessly.

"What?" Rogue demanded.

"It's not about sleeping at all," Jubilee said through her laughter. "Or about the Knights Who Say, 'Ni!'"

She held the book out to Rogue and Storm, who crowded close to read.

It was a book of erotic poetry, and the titular poem was about --
"I don't get it," Rogue said.

"It's about... it's about..." Jubilee could barely talk, she was laughing so hard. "The joys of going bareback."

"It is about unsafe sex," Storm said, looking at Rogue carefully.

"Oh," Rogue said with a weak smile. "Oh."

Jubilee sobered abruptly. "Oh, honey, I'm sorry. I didn't think--"

"No, no. It's okay, Jubes. It's funny." She forced herself to smile, but she knew they didn't buy her false levity.

They finished their work quickly after that, with little conversation. Rogue felt horrible for putting a damper on things; she knew Jubilee hadn't meant anything, hadn't even considered Rogue's situation. And she preferred it that way -- it was much better to have your friends forget you could kill them with a single touch than it was to have them hovering, always a few extra inches away, wary and fearful.

She could be wary and fearful enough for all of them. She didn't want anyone else worrying about it.

That evening, she tensed when Logan slid into bed beside her. Of course, he noticed. He noticed everything.

"What's wrong, darlin'?"

"Nothing."

His raised eyebrow was more eloquent than any words could be. She sighed.

"Jubes found this book in the library, and it was all about sex." She felt herself flush and cursed her skin not only for being deadly but for being fair, as well.

"We could write a book ourselves." He ran a hand over her t-shirt-clad back and leered.

She laughed. "Yes, but-- it was about touching, and skin, and touching skin. I'll never have that. And I can't give it to you."

He took a deep breath, and she looked down, letting her hair fall to cover her face. They'd been over this many times; the reason it had taken them so long to get together had been her fear, not his lack of desire.

"But you give me everything else."

"Oh, Logan."

She tackled him to the mattress, worries assuaged for the moment.

end
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=626