You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This by Shadowlady
Summary: A spring dance, a soft kiss in the rain and feelings are awakened and confusion is clarified.

Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Songfic
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 5104 Read: 2034 Published: 03/24/2005 Updated: 03/24/2005

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
Spring, it was one of the best times of the year or at least that's what the professor kept saying and since he liked it so much he made me organize this stupid dance. Yeah I know I'm a girl, I should like gettin' dressed up for some dance but what's the point. The only guy I wanna dance with isn't even here he's somewhere in Canada freezing his nuts off - I hope!

Okay I sound a little put out, but hey I love the big hairy lug and he's off trying to find something that he thinks he's missing but he really isn't. I mean he's got everything he could want in life right here, wrapped in a five foot plus package with auburn hair and enough curves to make my body a dangerous road.

Hehehe - not to mention the deadly skin but hell who cares right this is my guy we're talkin' bout he's good at whatever he decides to do wether it be protect me or find his past. Just keep your biased little thoughts to yerself to, he's mine and I don't care if you think I don't know his darker side - cause I do!

Anyway we're getting too far off the topic here. The professor said we could have this dance and since I'm good at decoratin' or something he put me in charge of getting the common room decorated and organizing the people to move furniture around. Yeesh I swear that man is trying to drive me batty.

So here I am, standing in the common room trying to picture a theme for the dance and the softest smile crosses my lips as I close my eyes and wander through the memories stored in my head picking one out I could feel the happy little chuckle about to erupt.

Logan might not be here but I know something he'd love! The memory of a spring at the side of some god forsaken little lake he stayed at once. Now how do I get this organized and decorated for next Saturday? Raking a hand through my hair I sigh and glance at the others in the room. Cyclops and Jean are sitting on the couch, Storm's watching TV, and Peter, Bobby, Remy - he's a newbie as I call `em, a Cajun with enough bullshit stored up to run a city for a hundred years - Jubilee, Kitty, and St John. Yep plenty of people.

"Hey Rogue what're you doing?" Bobby breaks my train of thought and I glance at him in frustration. "You have been staring at the room for half an hour."

"I'm thinkin'," I drawl my tone one laced with sarcasm; hell any fool could see what I'm doing! You don't need to start askin' questions `bout it.

"Oh." Jubilee looks slightly panicked, the last time I did that I had our bedroom reorganized and she'd been forced to stare at a picture of Logan that sat on my bed stand for three weeks before I gave up and just moved into his room. "Uh maybe we should go study." She mutters and starts inching toward the door.

"Not so fast," I hold up a hand to halt their escape. "You're on my new team."

"What team?" Bobby croaks, easing behind Peter.

"Professor Xavier put me in charge of decoratin' for that spring dance." I drawl with an evil grin. "This room's got to be cleared out, things gotta be moved so that we can have a big open space n the middle for the dancin'."

Amid the tortured groans I note Cyclops, Jean, and Storm rise to their feet and start for the door. "And before you three escape I need a ride into town."

"Uh I've got to work on the jet." Scott declares and darts off leaving Storm and Jean standing staring at me like a pair of deer caught in the headlights.

"Uh.." Jean starts and I shake my head, you'd think I was askin' them to commit some sort of crime! "The professor wants to speak to me." She gasps out and darts off, all but running not a good thing especially in those high heels.

"Where exactly are we going?" Storm asks hesitantly.

"The store," I reply. "I promise I won't do anything embarrisin'."

Smiling slightly Storm just shakes her head and sighs. "I'll get the keys." She says and walks away while I turn back to my current work crew.

"So here's the plan. Since the dance is next Saturday that gives you four days to figure out where to put the stuff in this room. I mean you can move it all to one side so that people can sit down during this thing."

"But Rogue we're not very good.." Kitty starts a panicked look in her eyes.

"Four days," I declare and walk away with my chin lifted.

"Spent way to much time with Logan," I hear Bobby mutter and hide my smile, for me that's the greatest compliment you could give me.

Trotting down to the garage I grab my jacket and purse along with the money Professor Xavier gave me then slide into the passenger seat of the Lexus. "Thanks Storm I appreciate your help," I say and she smiles.

"So what exactly are we buying?"

"Decorations for the dance, and maybe some new clothes," I drawl with a grin. "Since I'm the decorating committee I have to oversee the dance and I might as well look nice while I'm doing it right?"

"Right," Storm laughs as we pull out onto the road and head for town.

Leaning back in my seat I close my eyes, my mind wandering to this fantasy I have of Logan coming back and sweeping me off my feet, spending the night dancing with me and only with me and I shiver as a nasty little thought crosses my mind. No one is going to come near me anyway so I might as well have a dress I know Logan would like to see me in. Right?

After getting the balloons, the streamers, and other party stuff that I think we'll need I get Storm to drive me over to the mall. There's a little store there that I found and the Logan in my mind seemed to like some of what was in it so I'll try there first.

I can feel Storm's eyes on me as I enter the store, hell it ain't like she ain't been watching me all morning but this is different, this time there's a touch of knowledge there that frankly freaks the shit outta me.

"So what are we lookin' for?" She asks me as we walk through the racks of clothes until we come to the back were the dresses are hanging.

"Something sexy, and flirty." I reply as I reach out to touch a dress that's cut low in the neckline and high in the hip but it would cover me from head to toe. Wrinkling my nose at it I sigh, the colors great sorta a charcoal grey but still I brush it aside and let Logan loose in my head. He knows what would turn him on; I don't have to pick it out.

Half an hour later I'm smiling at Storm as I hold it up, THE DRESS in big bold letters. Its slinky and sexy, and a rich navy blue - not that I ever think I can wear blue but this is so dark it's almost black. It's also short, coming only to my knees with spaghetti straps that criss cross in the front and back to look like claw marks and I love it! If the hooting and whistling from Logan is any indication he likes it to.

"Uh Rogue don't take this the wrong way but that's very, very uh.." Storm stares at it then at me a shocked look in her eyes. "That's something Logan would pick out!"

"Exactly," I say and turn to walk over to the clerk. "I'd like to try this on." I say and within minutes the silk is clinging to my body, flowing over my curves and trailing lovingly down my legs to just above my knees. Stepping out of the change room I frown, I need something to wrap around my waist, something lacy and feminine that leaves fringe trailing down my legs to my ankles or just above them. Raking through the wraps I pick out a silvery one and wrap it around my waist so that it hugs my hips, and I whirl in front of the mirror.

I can clearly see the familiar silvery tags that are nestled between my breasts, they don't come off for anyone or anything and I know they'll stay there even with this outfit. Besides they look great. I feel slightly uncomfortable without covering on my shoulders and bite my lip until that tiny voice in my head whispers that it doesn't matter. Logan'd have me out of it in less than five minutes if he were here so I should buck up and try not to act like a coward. Besides that, we can stop at the adult store down the block, pick up some clear liquid latex and paint my arms and shoulders before adding some sparkles then I'd be set. Bare skin would be covered, people would be safe and I could still look like a sex goddess that I wanted to be!

Smothering a groan Storm smiles painfully at me and glances around for shoes and gloves. "Shoes? Gloves?"

"Shoes only," I declare. "I'm not wearing gloves to this one," I grin. "We're making one more stop on the way home!" Ignoring the groan from the older woman I step back into the change room and put my street clothes back on before I exit and take my purchases up to the clerk, sliding a slim credit card across to her.

I'd been shocked when it arrived a few weeks before with my name on it as well as a letter from Logan. He'd gotten it for me, said to use it whenever I wanted or needed anything and he was thinkin' of me all the time. I've only used it twice, this being the second time now and I smile as Storm moves to my side and stares at the clerk.

Yep this is going to be one very interesting party I think as I follow Storm out of the mall and over to the car. Giving her directions we drive over to the store I'd been thinking of and I give her the name of the stuff I want written down as well as some money. No point in her paying for what I'm gonna be using. I sit in the car and watch the traffic and the people moving around and smile to myself. I can feel it in the air, there's something on the wind and I can only hope that it's Logan's return because I've had enough of his being gone! I'm not the same kid he left behind that sunny day so long ago, hell I'm not even the same kid I was when Magneto captured me. I've grown up in more ways then one, I don't look at life the same anymore, everything is more important, more real to me and I know that its because of Logan's influence.

I don't know how to explain it but I don't feel alone even when I'm by myself. There's always this warmth, this feeling of security surrounding me even when I'm walking by myself in the gardens or curled up in Logan's bed and watching hockey, sneakin' a beer or just laying wrapped up in a shirt he left behind. The others don't see it, they don't understand even though they're my friends and I love `em dearly, there isn't a hope in hell that they're ever going to be anything beyond friends - something Bobby's a bit upset about but hey that's life deal with it bub.

"Okay where to now?" Storm asks as she deposits the bag in my lap and hands me the change.

"You know how to cut hair?" I ask fingering my long hair.

"Uh yeah," Storm drawls as she meets my eyes.

"Good, I need some help with that and my makeup," I smile at her and sigh. "Something to go with my new dress!"

"Is the dress the only item of clothing you're gonna buy?" She asks softly, her tone even and I know she isn't judging me.

"No," I drawl. "I ordered the rest of my new wardrobe early this week and it should be at the house by tomorrow."

Nodding Storm started the car, "So are we heading back to the mansion?"

"By way of a jewelry store," I suddenly say with a grin. I'm gonna pierce my ears, get them fancy little hooks that I've been eying for so long and now I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna make my self over and show I can be as wild and untamed as Wolverine is - without actually causing any structural damage!

Laughing off the Storm's groan I lean back in my seat. This is my coming out dance, cause I ain't about to wait any longer for Logan's ass to get back here. If he ain't shown his face by the end of that dance, I'm gonna after him and he's gonna know it to!

Man I've busted my but these past few days, this whole week just flew by and tonight is the night! It's the night I'm gonna show everyone just who Rogue is - she's Logan's girl. Right down to her brightly painted toenails and leather encased curves. Rogue is always gonna be Logan's girl, the tags haven't left my neck, and Bobby's mad at me. Just today he told me to quit livin' in a dream Logan wasn't coming back, he wasn't going to want a girl he couldn't even touch! Needless to say I smoked him one, split his lip to and I didn't care.

He doesn't know Logan, doesn't know what that man is made of. If it's something or someone he thinks of as his Logan doesn't leave it behind, and the tags tell me Logan thinks of me as his. Well he's right and my bag is packed and sittin' under the bed for tomorrow mornin' if he don't get his ass home before then.

With a final glance around the room I'm off to shower and then Storm's gonna cut my hair and help me with my makeup before I don my Logan gettin' dress and come down to face everyone. Pride is a powerful motivator and fuck I've got plenty and I'm not scared anymore. I guess you could say I've learned how to live these past years without Logan and now, now I'm gonna do what he always said I should do. Follow my gut!

Closing my eyes I flinch when the scissors make a snipping sound, my hair's been long for so long that it feels different to have it short. With a wave I let my tension evaporate and relax as Storm goes on cutting until she's finished then she reaches for the bottle of mousse sitting on the counter. After putting a liberal amount in my hair she picks up the curling iron wordlessly and curls the shorter hair, leaving the longer straight and curving around my jaw.

"Done," She says and I open my eyes and stare into the mirror before me, a small smile curving my lips gradually as I stare. The platinum streaks are hanging down to my jaw line, curled with only the warmth of the blow dryer, the rest of my hair is hanging in shorter ringlets and I glance at Storm in the mirror. "How short?" I ask her softly I didn't want it too short after all it was my protection to.

"Shoulder length," She smiles, aware of where my thoughts are going. "I put it up with pins before I curled it. You like it?"

"I love it," I smile at her and reach up a gloved hand to squeeze hers. "Thank you."

"Come on, I'll do your makeup then you can slip into the pretty dress," She says as she glances at the garment bag hanging on the back of the door.

Eying that dress I feel the butterflies settle, my unease fades and I'm finally at peace within me. I can still feel Logan's approval, and know he likes the new look I've got. I tilt my head, my new earrings glinting in the light and my eyes trail down my body to the folds of the robe I'm wearing. There they are, my only link to a man who for all intents and purposes is nowhere to be found.

Shifting I turn away from the mirror to stare at Storm as she brings out the makeup and I catch her eye. "Thank you Storm," I don't just mean the hair, the makeup, and I wonder if she knows that.

Smiling at me Storm shrugs slightly. "That's what friends are for," She replies softly and I know, she understands. Falling silently I sit patiently while she does my makeup I told her I wanted something that would fit the new image, something sexy without looking trashy and I've no doubt she'll do it for me.

Twenty minutes later I'm standing in the middle of the room, naked except my strapless bra as she runs a brush over my upper body, arms, neck, and jaw. Standing she caps the bottle and smiles at me. "You need to let it dry for about five minutes," She said as she reads the bottle. "Then you can get dressed."

"Thanks," I drawl my tone filled with smooth bourbon like appreciation.

Smiling Storm shrugs. "He's not going to know what hit him," She said and pats my arm before she moves out of the room and I turn to stare at the picture that sits on the bed stand. She's right, Logan's in for a shock - but then maybe I am too.

An hour later I walk into the now crowded room and glance around, I ignore the way everyone looks at my naked flesh and flinch away, what they don't know won't kill `em and I like the way everyone clears a path for me. Yeah right, normally I don't but tonight some wild side of me has taken over and the good girl that everyone knew well she's on holidays.

"Hi Mr. Summers," I greet Scott by the punch bowl and he turns to speak to me. I swallow my smile at the way his jaw drops; I'm not particularly interested in what he's doing or feeling.

"Uh Rogue." He croaks and clears his throat. "Um don't you think you're a little um.."

"Relax Scooter," I drawl, barely cringing at the term Logan has used more times than I care to count. "I'm covered," with a smile I shrug. "Liquid latex."

Nodding slightly Scott still hasn't moved his gaze from my bare skin and I reach past him to pick up a cup. Filling it I glance around and smile at Jean's incredulous look - Rogue's in full form tonight and that's all there is to it.

With a smile I shrug at her disapproving look and take my drink to the edge of the huge French doors. Listening to the songs that play I nurse my punch, my heart pounding even as I slide into the darkness and glance around. Taking a deep breathe of the night air I sigh, and move down the steps, my heels clicking continuously as I move. Man I feel strung tighter than a high wire and on edge yet I can't really define why. Maybe because tonight is the last night I'm going to be alone, without Logan to hold me. Maybe because I've finally let myself feel something other than a deep aching void - I don't care anymore about my skin other than to be concerned that its gonna hurt Logan but I'm sure we can figure something else out, no I don't care what anyone things, what anyone says cause tonight is MY night!

Setting my glass down I barely spare it a glance as I move further out on the terrace, my shoes coming off with a flick of my feet and I gather them up to move into the pale moonlight. Yeah I'm glad I'm alone now, even if my body's starting to feel alien even to me.

Glancing up at the sky I note the stars that shine out and the slight breeze that blows a wayward cloud across the moon and shudder slightly even as my ears pick up a sound I haven't heard in so long I think maybe I'm dreaming.

Cocking my head I begin to smile, yes it is! It is the bike I've listened for since he left. Whirling I race up the steps and through the crowded room, ignoring Storm's words as she calls out to me, ignoring the stares from my peers, my tutors right now I don't give a fuck about any of `em. Tearing down the hallway I pause before the front door, hesitating to open it even as I can feel my body tremble, begin to burn at the thought of seeing Logan again. Grabbing the door handle I jerk it open and step outside, and freeze. Standing next to Cyke's bike is the tall, muscled frame I've spent more nights fantasizing about than I can count, and my blood slows to a simmer as I move toward him.

I note the way he pauses, his head telling up and he stares at me, a dark, feral look in his eyes and I smile as I get a little closer. "Hey sugah," I drawl and he quirks one eyebrow. "How'd it go?" The soft whisper is the only sound in the night.

"Gone," He grunts his gaze focused on me. "Love the look," he declares and I smile.

"You helped pick it out," I admit as I shift on my stocking feet.

"Oh?" he moves gracefully toward me, his steps sure on the pavement.

"Yeah," I shrug. "Cause I knew you were coming home, wanted to look good for ya," I smile at the low growl that vibrates through him.

"Couldn't stay away." he grunts as he stops a few inches away from me. "You gain control or somethin'?" He trails a gloved hand across my shoulder, up my throat to cup my jaw before letting me go.

Shaking my head I stare at him, my eyes never leaving his. "No. Found something I can paint on that helps protect those around me." I whisper my breath coming in little hitches, as the burning in my body gets deeper, harder and I yearn for the ability to reach out and kiss him. Kiss him the way I want to.

"What's going on?" he asks tilting his head as the faint but distinct sound of loud music reaches us.

"Spring Dance," I drawl. "The Professor thought it would be a nice addition."

Smiling slightly at that statement he shrugs, glancing down at his dirty traveling clothes. His jeans were still as tight as ever, his jacket is a little worse than wear, and he was dressed in several shirts but to me he was perfect, "Well since I'm not for dancing' I reckon I'll just go have a shower and catch some TV."

"Like hell you will," I drawl grabbing his hand and dragging him around the house. "I didn't spend hours getting ready for this thing only to have you show up and hide out. Come on." Feeling his laughter I hide my grin, he likes it when I take control sometimes, and I know he didn't want to run off, he wanted to spend time with me so this way we'd both win.

Stopping on the terrace out of the lights from inside I pause and face him as a low, sultry beat comes over the stereo and I grin as he offers me a hand. Moving into his arms I lean against him easily, feeling the beat and throb of the song as it surrounded them, swirling and dragging them into it without their being aware of it as they moved slowly together.

The feel of his arms around me was heaven, and hell because I knew that sooner or later the song would end and he'd step back. Unwilling to admit to caring, unwilling to accept anything that might give him something he doesn't think he deserves. Poor foolish man, he has no idea just what he's getting himself into by fighting me here.

Hearing the ending trailing of the song I sigh, my hand moving to hold onto Logan's neck a little tighter. Silently cursing the song I glance up into the hazel gaze above me. "So is this.." I start to say only to stutter to a stop when he reaches out and tugs on the chain around my neck. No my mind screams, surely he's not going to take the tags back, not going to.. The warm metal pulling away from my skin interrupts my thoughts and my eyes go to his hands, hands that are now fastening something additional to the chain. Reaching up I took the cold metal and held it in the pale silver glow of the moon.

"For Marie Love Logan," I glanced up at him sharply and he shrugs slightly his face expressionless. "Logan you didn't.."

"Don't matter," he grunts his eyes on the tag that now lies in my palm and I smile softly, maybe he won't run this time.

"Yeah it does," I whisper moving closer to him. "Cause I love you."

Blinking he turns to stare at me his brows draw together in a dark frown as though he doubts my intentions, "You don't have to say that kid," he starts only to stop with my hand on his mouth.

"You're right," I whisper staring at him as the faint smell of rain begins to pour through the night, "I don't HAVE to, I don't have to say something to make you feel better cause we both know neither of us is like that. We don't play games Logan, we never have. I said it cause I meant it. Cause I love you, I always have."

I can see the need in his eyes, feel the want on his body and it wasn't just about sex, it was need for me the girl who stood before him in nothing more than dark silk. I see his slight nod, the way his hand reaches out to grasp the chain I've worn for years and I know beyond a doubt what he's thinking.

"I love you," he whispers bending to kiss me softly as if my skin doesn't matter, as if there isn't anything unusual or dangerous about touch me, kissin' me. I suck in a quick breath, opening my mouth to warn him only to freeze at the first gentle touch along the corner of my mouth.

Staring at him in wide-eyed wonder as he pulls back, there was no pull; no tingling of when my mutation kicked in and I glance around uneasily. This must be one of my dreams, one of those dreams that you never want to wake up from.

"Relax kid," Logan's soft drawl draws my attention, "Trust me."

Nodding briefly I stand there, waiting, wondering what he's going to do but he just smiles as the first few fat drops of cold rain hit us and I shiver slightly. This dress is made for a lot of things but keepin' dry ain't one of them.

"Marie close your eyes," Logan whispers his mouth dangerously close to my ear as my eyes drift shut then I feel him pulling me closer, my body wrapping around his a moment before his mouth descends upon mine and all thought is lost.

God the feel of him kissing me, of him touching me is so good. Its like nothing I've ever been prepared for but at the same time I can feel nothing that resembles the dangerousness of my mutation.

Pulling back slightly I look at him and he smiles. "What can I say? I quit caring about your skin a long time ago Marie, maybe that's why its not workin'."

"Professor Xavier would know," I whisper then smile. "But I don't particularly feel like going inside do you?"

"Naw, I like the wet look on you," he chuckles and pulls me close as another song comes over the speaker and I forget about talking to the professor, or Jean or anyone at all instead I snuggle closer into his arms, yep I'm happy to be here and we'll figure it all out later!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This
By [Artist name not provided by the author.]

I got a funny feeling
The moment that your lips touched mine
Something shot right through me
My heart skipped a beat in time

There's a different feel about you tonight
It's got me thinkin' lots of crazy things
I even think I saw a flash of light
It felt like electricity

You shouldn't kiss me like this
Unless you mean it like that
Cause I'll just close my eyes
And I won't know where I'm at
We'll get lost on this dance floor
Spinnin' around
And around
And around
And around

They're all watchin' us now
They think we're falling in love
They'd never believe we're just friends
When you kiss me like this
I think you mean it like that
If you do baby kiss me again

Everybody swears we make the perfect pair
But dancing is as far as it goes
Girl you've never moved me quite
The way you moved me tonight
I just wanted you to know
I just wanted you to know

You shouldn't kiss me like this
Unless you mean it like that
Cause I'll just close my eyes
And I won't know where I'm at
And We'll get lost on this dance floor
Spinnin' around
And around
And around And around

They're all watchin' us now
They think we're falling in love
They'd never believe we're just friends
When you kiss me like this
I think you mean it like that
If you do baby kiss me again
Kiss me again
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=590