Troubled Waters by Shadowlady
Summary: When a stranger comes into life at the mansion tensions arise between her and Rogue, with some startling and well deserved results.

Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 17947 Read: 3277 Published: 09/23/2006 Updated: 09/23/2006

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
Prologue

Staring at the young couple before her Shasta swallowed harshly and nodded painfully. "This what you really want?" she asked softly, staring into the pain filled green eyes of her older sister.

"I'm sorry Shasta I really am.." the other girl whispered reaching out to her sister only to drop her hand before contact was made.

With a bitter nod she smirked coldly, "Sure you are. Sure you both are real fuckin' sorry."

"Look babe this wasn't what we wanted, it just sorta happened," like finger nails on a chalk board the condescension was enough to make her blood boil - well more than it usually did anyway.

"Yeah?" Shasta stared at them both for a split second then shook her head and shrugged," Go for it. See if I give a shit. I wouldn't give you that much power over me," stepping around the pair who were holding hands she started for the door. He was supposed to be her boyfriend, supposed to want her and she'd thought he did. Thought he wanted the girl who was different, who wasn't normal, but obviously he'd only been using her. Using her to get to what he really wanted a shot at her sister Emily. Slamming the door hard enough to make the entire house shake she stalked off down the hall toward her bedroom.

Tossing a few things into a bag she stared at the mirror and swore, her once shining auburn hair had faded to nearly platinum with blood red streaks, the straight locks had curled over time and she now had a full head of hair that reached nearly her waist. Damn it, what the hell hadn't she tried to do to keep him? She'd refused to cut her hair but fuck that couldn't be a punishable occurrence in a relationship; she was an individual and all.

"Stop thinkin' bout it," she muttered softly and jerked open her closet to pull out a pair of black jeans, a black silk blouse, matching sweater and her cowboy boots. Changing into the other clothes she left the skimpy skirt, and tee on the bed and grabbed her duster, a relic she'd picked up when she'd gone to a fandom reunion a year before. Slapping her Stetson on her head she moved to the door and jerked it open, her light pack carrying only the essentials - clothes, hygiene products and her bank card.

"Shasta I'm truly sorry." Emily's voice had her freezing.

"Fuck you Em, because you're not sorry. You're too selfish to understand anyway and I haven't got time to explain it!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting outside the dungy little bar in South Carolina Shasta "Heatwave" stared at the doors, it had taken her four months to get here, four months of running, hiding to avoid anyone who might know her; and where was she? In some dive of a town in the States hundreds, even thousands of miles from home, waiting for the trash to be taken out so she could eat. Shifting further into the darkness as the back door opened and a burly looking guy stepped out with two trash bags she waited impatiently for him to go back inside.

Hunkered down in the alley she prayed no one was watching it, that there was no one out there that had any interest in the slim girl she'd become. Learning to survive had been hard, and after she'd nearly killed one prick for trying to rape her she'd gotten adapt at avoiding physical contact from the people she caught a ride with. Always a finicky eater she'd quickly learned to take what she got and like it; money never went far enough and she was always on the move so all she could ever do was casual labor and that didn't pay very good but it was money. Money could buy her a whole lot of little things to munch on. Her pack had quickly become a source of hiding her food, her clothes had been sold, bartered, traded, until she was moving with mostly an empty pack except for fresh underwear, her hygiene products, and a bank card that didn't work anymore because the account was empty.

Seeing the man walk inside she rose on shaky legs, it had been three days since her last meal and she was starving and moved through the shadows toward the dumpster. Checking the area with a quick scan of her gaze she moved a little faster, there was always leftovers.. The thought was never finished as a hard hand reached out, clamping down on her arm and whirled to pull her flush against a hard body, warmth radiating off it enough for her to feel.

Struggling she felt the man's grip shift, even as she kicked at him, her arms pinned to her sides. She'd be damned if she was just going to let him..

"Easy kid," the soft sound drew a shudder from her and she froze doubtfully.

Maybe if she didn't move he'd figure he'd won and let her go? Feeling his grip only shift and his body move suddenly she found herself facing his lower back, her body draped over a hard muscled shoulder as he drifted into the shadows, deeper than even she'd been and started walking.

Squeaking out a protest she struggled to free her arms, kicking her legs as she squirmed. Fuck this! She wasn't going be nobody's toy.."Let me go you asshole!" squirming, kicking she pounded on his back as she tried to keep her mind clear even as it began to fuzz over, a side effect of not enough to eat, and being held upside down.

"Relax kid, I'm not going to hurt you," the man said as he dumped her into the passenger seat of an open jeep and walked around to the driver's side before she could get her legs back under her and make a run for it. Starting the engine he shifted, casting her a glance and drove off, "They call me Crossbow."

"Fuck you," Heatwave drawled sullenly, blinking and trying to breath past the dizziness. She needed that meal; even she couldn't stay alive without food.

"Nice to meet you," the man laughed softly as he drove, downshifting for a curve only to pull into a large parking lot. "Hope Micky D's is okay with you. It's got drive through."

"It's your dime bub," she glowered as she sat there in the seat, the warmth from the engine was beginning to feel good, and the thought of food was making her stomach rumble in appreciation.

"What d'ya want?"

With a shrug Heatwave stared straightforward, "Nothing gross."

With a nod the order was placed and within seconds she was holding a large bag that was filled with hot food that wafted up to her nose making her even hungrier. Tearing into the bag she started eating, pushing the food inside ignoring the man who drove even as she devoured the food.

Sighing softly he turned his gaze to the highway, he'd been following her for about a month, watching her, waiting for it to happen. Waiting for her to hit rock bottom, the point of no turning back and it had killed him.

"Musta been hungry kid," the man said softly as he noted she ate not only her fries but his. Reaching over he grabbed his burger before she could devour that and left the remaining food in her lap. Studying her without being obvious about it, he hid a smile. She was stronger than she looked, than even she believed or she wouldn't have lived this long walking the path she'd been on. Taking the easy way wasn't an option for her it seemed because she routinely went the hard route, riding with strangers, stealing food from dumpsters, things that only those determined not to loose their souls would do. She could have stolen money, hell men fell over themselves to catch her attention; to offer her a few bucks for a few minutes of true love in the backseat of their cars, only to have her turn away from it all, to disappear into the shadows.

"What of it?" the low growl drew a chuckle as he reached over and offered his hand for the large coke he'd ordered.

"Pass the coke there please."

"What're going to do with me?" Heatwave asked as they drove, leaving the small town behind them and heading into the night. "I ain't gonna give you anything.."

"Your butt in that seat is payment enough," Crossbow replied softly looking at her, "We've got all the time in the world kid to settle up."

"I ain't no whore.."

"I know that," came the sharp reply, "Which is why you're sitting there while I'm driving and not face up in the backseat."

Inhaling sharply Heatwave moved away from the man and glared at him. Did she have hit on me tattooed on her head? Was she like some neon sign that said mutant, come and get me?

"I'm not after your body girl," Crossbow said softly, "I'm more interested in the entire package.."

"Why?"

"Because you remind me of someone I once knew."

"Who?"

Despite the lengthy silence Crossbow didn't believe for a minute that she'd forgotten the question, or had given up on getting an answer. How could he explain it to her? How could he explain everything without letting her know that he'd chosen her? Chosen her for more than just a quick roll in the hay. In the years since he'd ran from home at the age of twelve he'd seen a lot, had people turn on him because he was a mutant but that didn't bother him, just added to his need for happy endings. No he'd taken one look at this girl and felt something shift within him, some little piece that he hadn't even known was missing suddenly sit up and take notice. Unlike the countless, faceless others he'd pulled off the streets and into the underground this girl stirred his soul.

"Who?"

"Me," was the short reply and the sudden addition of the radio blaring out a Tom Petty song.

Sitting staring at the darkness that surrounded them Heatwave sighed, confusion filling her mind even as exhaustion and a full stomach started weighing down her body, and she slid into a deep, dreamless sleep that would hold her long enough for them to cross the border as her 'rescuer' drove them back north.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You sure about this?" Heatwave stared at the man who'd taken her in five years before, who'd given her food, shelter, clothing, even an education to a certain degree and felt her resolve fall away a little more.

"I'm very sure," Crossbow said softly as he stared at her, "If I stay kid it won't be the same."

Nodding she stared at him for a moment as he finished gathering his things and hefted the bag. She knew what he was doing, he was trying to let her grow up, trying to let her experience life so that when he did come back she wouldn't feel like she'd missed out on something, wouldn't feel like she'd been made into something or someone she wasn't. How typical of a man, run rather than face the truth staring at you, "I'll be here when you get back."

Smiling sadly Crossbow walked over to her, cupping her cheek through his glove and sighed as he closed his eyes, absorbing some of the heat radiating off her, "I don't know when that'll be."

"Don't matter," Heatwave shrugged, and stared back at him with a smile. He'd given her a lot, taught her a lot and she owed him her life. With a soft sigh she shrugged slightly, "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Giving me back my faith," she whispered and stood up on tip toe to kiss his cheek softly, "my trust. My innocence."

Watching her walk away Crossbow shifted, his mouth suddenly dry as he realized what she'd meant. For five years they'd lived together, fought together, faced the prejudices that faced mutants, the anger of the runaway teen she'd been, the darkness that sometimes threatened to overwhelm them and through it all he'd kept his hands to himself. He should be given a reward for how he'd managed not to make love to her, especially when she smiled at him so sweetly and curled up on his chest. Yes sir she was everything in this world, but she was young, she hadn't really lived life, and she needed that before she could really be his. So he was leaving, heading to Mexico for a few months to set up a branch of the Underground there.

Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a cell phone and stalked after her, "Shasta, take this," he pressed it into her palm. "In case of an emergency, or if you need anything you call me okay?"

"The number programmed in?"

"It's on speed dial, the only number on speed dial," Crossbow whispered and smiled painfully, "You'll do fine."

"I'll see you when you get back," Heatwave smiled and tucked a hand into her pockets. "I'm gonna work with the Underground until you come back okay? I'll be careful, just doing drops and such but I'm gonna keep doing the work we started."

Nodding he dropped a quick, brotherly peck onto her cheek and headed for the door. "See ya kid."

"Yeah, see you." Heatwave said as she watched him walk away. She knew he was coming back, fuck anyone with half a mind could see that but she wondered if he was really leaving for the reasons he'd said.

Was he just going to help out in another country or was she going to wait for him only to find he'd left her behind? Shaking the thought off she felt a wave of fury hit her, this was Crossbow she was thinking of, her Crossbow, the man who held her during a nightmare or cuddled up to when she was watching some sappy romance on the idiot box, stealing her chips and teasing her over her hair.

He'd be back, and he'd be back for her.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six months later

Staring at the young girl who shivered on her porch Heatwave opened the door a little further. "Come in," she whispered softly and watched the girl walk inside her body wracked by tremors, even as she dripped on the carpet.

"I didn't know where else to go?" the girl whispered fearfully.

"No problem. You're more than welcome here," Heatwave replied and moved to grab a towel and the oversized bathrobe she kept for these occasions. "You'll be more comfortable in this than those wet clothes."

"Cold."

"Trust me you'll be sweating in no time," Heatwave drawled as she glanced at the fireplace and instantly a fire was roaring, the room was warming up several degrees as the girl quickly undressed and pulled the robe on.

"I heard you can help me get out."

"Where do you want to go?"

"I..um.." the girl shrugged tearfully. "Anywhere as long as my dad doesn't know."

Smiling slightly Heatwave nodded and glanced at the door. "Come on you can crash in the spare room for a few hours then we're going to a school I heard about."

"Will they take me?"

"You're a mutant ain't you?"

"Yes. I um I can change shapes."

"Shapeshifter huh? Well we'll see what we can do to get you in that school." Heatwave declared as she ushered the girl into a room and tossed her some pajamas. "I'm afraid luxury is isn't an option around here," she started only to be interrupted by a loud pounding on the door followed by a man's voice raised in fury.

"That's my dad," The girl looked terrified as the front door rattled on it's hinges.

"Don't worry," with a faint smile Heatwave raised the room's temperature a few degrees then started from the room. "You're safe here."

Walking to the door Heatwave jerked it open, her eyes starting to glow red as her blood began to boil in rage. "You want somethin'?"

"Where is that freak?" the man snarled.

"Freak?"

"My exdaughter, the freak. Fuckin' mutant.." the man a tall, robust man in his early forties stared at the woman before him. Her hair was blowing as though in a breeze, her eyes were glowing red, and her hands were clenched into fists.

"There aren't any freak's here," Heatwave spoke softly, her tone gentle despite the fury in her voice. "And I suggest you leave the grounds.."

"Or what?"

"I'll fry your worthless ass." Heatwave said the wood beneath their feet beginning to roll and pitch at the increase in her body temperature. Who the fuck would build a wooden house when the woman living in it had blood that could boil anyone without a second thought? Crossbow that's who. He'd always trusted her to keep her mutation under control and she'd done it, for the most part, she'd only ever burnt him once, and that had been because of the whole PMS thing. Chasing those thoughts away she glared at the non-mutant on the porch and crossed her arms.

"Yeah? Well then you just keep her, ain't like I want a freak like that in my house. But she owes me.." the man gulped as she took a deep breath in.

"Get," the low, angry growl had the man disappearing and Heatwave slammed the door and glared at the fireplace for a minute before she reached for the phone. She needed to know she was right, needed to know she was still on his mind.

"Hey babe." Crossbow's voice had her smiling. Seemed like she was the only one that ever called him.

"How'd you know it was me?" she asked softly.

"I knew you'd be phoning me. It's Friday night."

Laughing softly Heatwave felt her anger melting away and the temperature drop a little," Actually I called for a reason.."

"Someone piss you off?"

"Yeah."

"The house still standing?"

"Yep."

"Good girl. What do you need that you'd be callin' for a reason?"

"That school in New York, the one for mutants.."

"Xavier's School for Gifted Youngster's?" Crossbow chuckled. "You got one to go there?'

"Yes, how do I get there?"

"Take the jeep. You go to Westchester, New York. It's not hard to find. You gonna get her settled in?"

"Yeah, figure with her unease around strangers I might be there about a month."

"Okay, take care." Crossbow sounded slightly worried. "You still gonna call?"

"Might even start calling you a couple more times a week," Heatwave said softly, "You know just to check and make sure you're not messing with any pretty seņoritas."

"That's my girl," Crossbow laughed uproariously. "Look I gotta run baby but I'll talk to you soon."

"Yeah," Heatwave paused for a split second then sighed. "Come home soon okay?"

"You know it."

The line went dead and she headed for her room, packing a few
essentials before crawling between the sheets and closing her eyes.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Storm opened the door to see two slim figures waiting. "Hello?"

"Hi," The taller of the two, a woman dressed from head to toe in black, her hair pulled back beneath a Stetson, and worn boots on her feet smiled. "We're here to see Mister Xavier."

"Just a moment.." Storm paused as the faint but distinct sound of Charles' wheelchair reached her hearing.

"Good afternoon," Charles smiled warmly at the pair.

"Afternoon," Heatwave said and ushered the girl inside. "This is Erica."

"Please to meet you Erica." Charles offered his hand, not surprised when the girl didn't take it, only stepped closer to the older girl, "What can I do for you two?"

"Erica needs a place to stay," Heatwave said glancing around, her glasses hiding her eyes, even when she was relaxed they were still red, but her natural green stood out surrounded by the bloody color.

"Well come into my office we'll see what we can do for you Erica," Charles smiled and Heatwave nodded and shifted her pack on her shoulder.

"Go on. I'm not goin' nowhere," she whispered as the girl followed Charles down the hallway, "So you got a kitchen 'round here?"

"Yeah this way," Storm said leading the way into the kitchen, noting the way the woman didn't seem to feel out of place. "You always travel around like this?"

"You mean takin' Mutants to other people?" Heatwave shrugged as they stepped into the kitchen and noted a young woman with auburn hair and white streaks staring into a pot. "You waitin' for it to grow legs honey?"

"No. Just to boil," the girl snapped back.

"Oh," Moving over to the stove Heatwave looked down into the pot and smiled. Reaching out her hand she stuck her finger into the pot and watched the water instantly begin to boil like it had been on the stove for hours. "Boilin' enough for you sweet thing?"

Glaring at the woman Rogue dropped the box of macaroni into the water and stirred it," Please tell me you're not a teacher?"

"I'm not a teacher," Heatwave said as she turned on the tap and pulled out her travel mug to stick it under the water. "Nowhere near a teacher."

"Good," Rogue said as the macaroni finished cooking and she quickly drained it and added the cheese quickly before sliding gracefully out of the room, two bowls in her hands.

"Multiple personality?"

"Deadly skin and a tall, rough Canadian wrapped around her finger."

Nodding Heatwave finished making her tea and walked out into the hall to wait for Erica. With any luck the professor would let her stay here, because she couldn't go home, there was nothing left for her there. Matter of fact, Heatwave wasn't so sure that she could go back; the human's around the area hadn't been particularly fond of her being around.

"Well?" she smiled down at Erica who beamed at her.

"He said I could stay," she giggled.

"Good for you. See I told you it would be easier than fallin' out of bed."

"I've done that."

"Well just keep up on your grades and you shouldn't have a problem."

"You're not leaving right away are you?'

"No," Heatwave sighed. "I figured I'd help you get settled in before I leave again. Got other kids to rescue and all.."

"Ha you're just itching to get your hands on Crossbow."

"Yeah well that's allowed," laughing softly she watched the girl dart off down the hallway a small, thin notebook in her hands. "I'll see you after class okay?"

With a slight wave Erica slid into a room and closed the door with a soft click.

"Since you're going to be staying with us, I'll show you to your room," Storm said softly.

"Thanks," Following the platinum haired African-American woman Heatwave rolled her shoulders, she needed a shower, and a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. "Hope you don't mind Erica staying with you guys, I'd have kept her but with the problems back home, that's just asking to get her killed."

"Oh?"

"I work for the Underground," Heatwave said as the other woman opened a bedroom door and stepped aside so she could enter.

"Underground?" Storm paused as the other woman turned to her and pulled her shades off. Staring into the green and red eyes she swallowed fearfully.

"Something you're better off not knowing about," Heatwave declared and closed the door with a soft click. Stripping down she moved into the bathroom and turned the taps on, quickly moving under the spray and noting with only a passing thought that the bathroom began to steam up. After showering, and washing her hair out she stepped out of the bath wrapping a towel around her frame and moving to sit on the bed. Rubbing on the lotion she used she sighed and grabbed clean underwear before falling back onto the bed and curling up to sleep.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting on the couch Logan glared at the only sports action on the tube at four in the afternoon and sighed. "Fuckin' Flames," he muttered as he stared at them losing another game.

"Whatcha watching?" the soft voice had him glancing up, he'd smelt a new kid on the block but hadn't really paid any attention that is until now. The new kid didn't look like a kid, she looked like a grown woman with long curly platinum and red streaked hair, more curves than than a sidewinder, and a knowing look in her duel colored eyes.

"What's it look like?" with an angry grunt he shifted as she hopped onto the couch next to him, raising a dark bottle to her lips. "Ain't it a little early fer that?"

"You're drinking beer," Heatwave declared as she tipped her coke up to her lips, "And this isn't gonna get anyone drunk. It's coke."

"Yeah, sure kid."

Turning her head sharply Heatwave stared at the man sitting next to her and swallowed. The accent, the mannerisms were nearly identical, the only difference being the length of hair, the basic attitude between Crossbow and this man. She knew there was no chance of him being related, of him being more than just another Canadian stuck south of the border and yet, with a sigh she shook her head. No, there was nothing to think about.

"You staring for a reason?"

"None you'd understand," Heatwave replied quickly and turned back to the game, her legs pulled up under her in the familiar degree of comfort, something she'd learnt on the streets. "Find somethin' else. These teams suck big time."

"Shouldn't you be in class or something?" Logan snapped as the door opened and he smiled slightly seeing Rogue dart into the room. "Hey kid, how'd it go today?"

"Good," Rogue said moving closer to him and eyeing the woman sitting next to him with open hostility. "You watchin' the game?"

"Yeah. Flame's are losin'," Logan said shifting, making room for Rogue even as she curled up on him.

"So who's your friend?"

"Don't know. She just sorta plopped her ass in your spot."

Rolling her eyes Heatwave rose gracefully as Erica shuffled into the room. "Hey how'd it go?"

"Okay. Mister Summers, my instructor said you can show me where to sleep?"

"Yeah, come on. I guess this has been a little harder than you thought huh?" Heatwave asked as they walked away from the couple on the couch.

"You could say that." Erica whispered. "I miss my Mom and my sister."

Nodding Heatwave sighed, "Yeah sometimes that's the hardest part of being different. Losing family, losing what you never believed you could ever lose."

"Glad to know you understand."

"Better than you realize," Heatwave said as she watched Erica take an unoccupied bed and curl up on it with a smothered yawn. "I'll see you later at dinner."

"Sure."

Turning Heatwave started back down the corridor and outside. Stepping onto the patio she eyed the grounds and sighed, this was familiar the lush green of the grass, the well manicured lawns, and yet to her it was as alien as being normal. She'd left all this behind once without lookin' back, now though she wished she had the money that went with it, the ability to save more than just the odd kid.

"Maybe someday," she whispered and stepped off the patio to explore. This was going to be her home for a few weeks, no point in hiding behind the doors.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grinding her teeth, Rogue stared at Heatwave as she curled up on the edge of the couch next to Logan and reached for a beer. Damn it didn't she know Logan was her's, that she was trespassing on her territory. It hadn't taken two days before Rogue was sure that Heatwave was after Logan, she often found the other girl seeking Logan out, talking to him, stealing beer, acting like some punk.

"Down girl," Jube's voice did little to still the growl in her throat as she stalked across the room. The only thing that saved Logan was the rather disgusted look on his face, and the fact that he never sought Heatwave out like he did her.

Painting a smile on her face, Rogue sauntered over to the couch and plopped herself in Logan's lap. Catching the bolt of shock in his eyes she let her lower lip stick out like she was about to cry and he relented, pulling her closer, without noting the look of triumph on her face as she glared at the woman on his left.

"So what's up?" Logan asked softly, hugging Rogue who looked like she was about to cry.

"Jubes is mad at me."

"Why?"

Catching Jubilee's look of horror Rogue shrugged, "She bought me this jacket, but it's so tacky. It's yellow!"

"That's Jubilee for you," Logan muttered his chin resting on Rogue's head. "Did you try explaining you like the jacket but not the color."

"Yeah, and she informed me she wasn't buying me anything ever again. And look, she's wearing it!"

I'm gonna kill you Jubilee mouthed and glared at her.

"Uh kid, don't take this the wrong way but you start wearing a jacket that looks like that and you're stuck with me takin' you shopping for a new wardrobe," Logan grunted eying the short leather jacket that revealed more than it covered.

"But it's an in thing," Rogue sniffed.

"Yeah but you've got the curves for something a whole lot more sexy than that," Logan declared as he focused on the game, ignoring the woman sitting next to him who snorted.

Rising Heatwave glanced at Rogue, noting the unspoken challenge, the fierce look of possession and rolled her eyes, "I'll leave you two to play hip hockey all you want," she muttered and stalked out of the common room, ignoring the stares from everyone else.

It had begun, and Heatwave wasn't too sure that Rogue was aware of how ridiculous this was, she wasn't interested in Logan at all. Matter of fact she barely tolerated the man but he reminded her of Crossbow so much and he liked to watch sports and that was something she could handle so she sat and watched the hockey games with him. Perhaps though she should find a safer outlet for her more athletic endeavors.

Standing by the door Jean raised an eyebrow as Rogue snuggled deeper into Logan's chest, a very satisfied look upon her face. "I think we're in trouble," she muttered to Storm who smirked behind her cup.

"I don't know. I think maybe Heatwave's in trouble rather than us."

"We'll see."

Watching the pair for a couple of days Jean noted the way Rogue seemed to get a whole lot more possessive around Logan who didn't seem to notice, or maybe he didn't particularly care. Determined to find out what it was, Jean sought out Storm.

"We've got to find out what's going on? Logan hasn't so much as batted an eyelash when Rogue saunter's into the room in tight jeans and plops herself down on him or right next to him. This morning he barely moved when she start eating his breakfast right out from under his nose."

"I know. I'm concerned that this is going to get physical," Storm said softly watching out the window as Rogue sauntered across the lawn toward Heatwave who was currently watching the boys' gym class, a class that was supervised by Logan.

"It could," Jean, agreed as Rogue settled into a crouch next to the edge of the field the boys were playing football in.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come to watch over him?" Heatwave asked silkily.

"I trust him, it's you that I could do without," Rogue replied sweetly, waving at Logan who grunted, nodded and turned his attention back to the game.

"What's the matter?" Heatwave asked softly sliding her a glance. "Scared he's going to go for a woman he can touch, he can fuck without having to worry she's gonna kill him?"

"Listen bitch," Rogue snarled glancing at her with a sickly smile on her face, "Stay the fuck away from MY Logan or you'll find out just what it means to have someone's boot in your ass."

"Bring it on little girl," Heatwave replied rising to her feet. "Any time you're ready to challenge me you come right ahead. I'll clean your clock for you no problem, then while you're lying there moaning and groaning and trying to get your fried brain back in workin' order, I'll fuck his brains out," With a slight wave to the boys she turned and sauntered back to the house, leaving Rogue glaring dagger's at her back.

Smiling slightly she hurried up to her room and grabbed her cell. Punching in a familiar button she waited for it to ring.

"Hey darlin'," the soft, soothing tone drew a smile from her.

"Hey studly," Heatwave said flopping down on the bed. "So when you comin' home?"

"Soon." Crossbow replied, "Real soon baby. You figure anything out?"

"Figured it all out," she shot back. "Figured out I can live without you, and do it with some semblance of normalcy but I don't want to."

"You back at the house?"

"No," frustration leaked into her voice, "I'm stuck here in geek central until the professor's finished examining and picking my brain apart to find out what I can do to help Mutantkind."

"I'm sorry baby; I know it's hard for you to be away from home for long periods of time."

"Fuck Gabes, the only home I've ever wanted was with you. It isn't a house that makes the home y'know," she swore, "I need you simple as that. Oh you might want to come rescue me before too long. I stay here for too much longer I'm gonna kill that twit."

"What twit?"

"Some hot to trot southern belle who figures I'm gonna fuck her guy."

Laughing hard Crossbow's voice rumbled over the phone, "Would it be worth it?"

"Darlin' the only man I'm gonna have sex with is you," Heatwave drawled sexily her toe tapping to the rhythm in her head, "Long and slow, or hard and fast, don't matter. It's only ever gonna be you."

"Yeah I know," the soft reply drew a shudder from her and she glanced at the window.

"So you chasin' any hot Mexican girls?"

"There aren't any around here. At least not as hot as you are.."

"Well part of that is the fact that my blood is boiling."

"Got nothing to do with your blood baby, it's got to do with how you fit into those black, tight as sin jeans, and my oversized shirts."

Smiling Heatwave thanked the room for his sentiment, "You comin' home sooner now?"

"Oh you got it. I'm sure I'll try to get out within the next week or so."

"Good. Cause if they bury me I want my headstone to read something other than 'Got her life sucked out by a jealous Southern Belle'. Something along the lines of beloved friend and colleague would be nice."

"Baby, you keep your nose clean and as soon as I get there I'll clear it up in a hurry. Just don't go wearing anything too hard to get off," Crossbow growled before the line went dead.

"Yeah like I'm gonna do that," Heatwave sighed and flopped back on her bed. Closing her eyes she giggled, he was coming for her. Gabriel was really going to come for her soon!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sinking into a chair at one of the tables Heatwave stared at the lukewarm coffee before her with a pained expression. Dinner was supposed to include hot coffee, not warm coffee, not cold coffee, but HOT coffee.

Sticking a finger into it she watched the dark brew start to boil and withdrew the digit to lick it off, missing Rogue's entrance and the fact that Logan had settled at the same table two chairs up. Taking a sip of her coffee she jumped when the chair next to her was filled with a growly, jealous brown haired kid out to prove a point.

"Rogue."

"Heatwave."

"Logan how was the game?" she asked softly, a slight smile curving her lips. Damn she should have worn makeup and maybe a skirt that would have shown the little twit what was what.

"It was a game," Logan grunted and reached over to take Rogue's dinner roll. "So we still on for later kid?"

"Ooh yeah." Rogue smiled at him happily. "Just name when."

"Seven thirty?"

"I'll be there," she agreed readily as she picked up a fork full of mashed potatoes, sucking them off the tines and making Logan squirm. Casting a glance at the other woman she smirked at her as if to say 'he's mine, stay away from him'.

Rolling her eyes Heatwave hid her smile; she couldn't have cared less what they did as long as the kid left her alone. Maybe she'd go into town, do a little dancin' even, it had been ages since she'd gone out and she needed it, needed to escape the reality that she wasn't one of the crowd.

Shifting she leaned forward, unconsciously exposing more than a hint of her cleavage as she glanced at Logan who looked deep in thought, "Any places in town to go dancin'?"

"Uh?" Logan frowned. "I wouldn't know. I don't dance."

"Come on good lookin', you can't tell me you've never had some woman ask you to dance."

"Didn't say that, just said I don't dance."

"Any good bars in town?"

"Depends on what you're lookin' for."

"Anything but this place."

"Marty's would do then," Logan replied stiffly, "But you're a little young to go drinkin' wouldn't you say?"

"No. I was drinking back when this one was figuring out how to dress for a Friday night social date."

"Fuck you." Rogue snarled under her breath and shifted, knocking the cup of coffee into Heatwave's lap. "Oh I'm so sorry, how clumsy of me."

Staring down at the rapidly spreading pool of coffee in her lap, Heatwave took a deep breath and smiled softly at Rogue for a split second before rising and reaching over to grab the other girl's coffee. Tipping it slightly she heated it just enough to make her yelp and leave a faint red mark before she let it spill into her lap.

"No problem. It must be catching," she drawled and walked away, trailing her hand along the back of Logan's chair and smirking at Rogue's dirty look even as the other woman struggled to get the coffee off her before it burnt her.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dangerous?" Storm looked at Jean. "I think this is only the tip of the iceberg."

"And poor Logan has no idea," Jean said looking at Logan who was trying to keep Rogue from following Heatwave. "Awe to be blind and dumb."

Laughing Storm leaned back in her chair, "He's a man. You've got to expect that."

"I know."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so it continued, little accidents that seemed to get worse each time, a misplaced chair, a few more cups of hot liquid, hair left a little too close to the flames on the stove, little daggers being thrown without causing too much permanent injury until it came to a head two weeks after Heatwave had walked through the door.

The day had started off as it normally did, Erica joining her new friends for breakfast, Heatwave dragging her ass in a few minutes later to sit a few chairs down from where Logan usually sat, her shades carefully pulled on even as Rogue sauntered into the room followed momentarily by Logan who was deep in conversation with Storm.

A few well-placed barbs directed at the enemy before breakfast was finished and everyone could make their escape. But this morning was a little different, neither Heatwave nor Rogue moved as the room emptied out, even Logan looked at them funny before ruffling Rogue's hair and leaning down to whisper something in her ear that drew a smile and a nod before he departed for his gym class.

"So?" Heatwave leaned back in her chair and eyed the auburn and platinum haired girl. "Are you throwing out a challenge?"

"Just a nonfriendly warning," Rogue stood up and glanced at her coldly. "Keep your hands off him or else."

"You already warned me."

"Yeah and you didn't listen last time," Rogue drawled slowly, spacing her words out. "I don't share and Logan belongs to me."

"You think so do you?" Rising to her feet Heatwave moved up so she was in Rogue's face. "I could have him in a heart beat if I chose to take him. You'll never even get to first base; after all he can't touch you therefore he can't fuck you."

"Don't count on it," Rogue snarled and turned to walk away. Pausing by the door she turned to face the other woman. "Don't push your luck sugah, I have no objection to killin' a tramp like you."

Smiling as Rogue disappeared Heatwave rolled her shoulders, she didn't want Logan but at the same time she wasn't going to be pushed around by some spoilt little mutant like Rogue. Maybe she should teach her a thing or two about men.

With a slow curl of her lips she stalked out of the room, headed upstairs for her shorts, a tank top and a hair clip. She knew Crossbow would have kittens if he knew what was happening; he was after all overly protective of her but still. Rogue was just another challenge to her; another body in her way and she didn't feel particularly bad about walking over her.

Dressed for the heat outside, Heatwave went lookin' for trouble. Stepping out into the sun she adjusted her shades and smirked to herself, Rogue was standing watching Logan and so was half the female population. Walking easily across the lawn she paused next to Rogue and crossed her arms, the action pushing her breasts up and the shirt stretched revealing more of them than anyone would ever admit to wanting to see.

"So how's the trainin' going?"

"Fuck off."

"Oh what's the matter? Can't handle the heat?" she asked softly, upping the temperature around Rogue until the other girl was sweating, her skin going pink with the affect of the heat. Shifting slightly she turned her gaze out to the field where a bunch of the boys had challenged Scott and Logan to play football with them. "Hot enough for you?"

"Kiss my ass," Rogue whispered eying the bottle of water in her hand, it was warm and she doubted it had anything to do with the weather. "Don't you have someone else's life to ruin?"

"Nope. Kinda like ruining yours," Heatwave smiled at Logan and adjusted her shades. She finally gave up on them and pulled them off to put on top her head and shift so Logan couldn't help but notice the curve of her body, and the beer in her hand.

"Not unless you want black to go with those red and green eyes."

"If you think you can do it," Heatwave drawled. "But all means try it."

Sucking in a breath Rogue turned her head to stare at the other woman, "Look just get your own guy and we wouldn't have any problems."

"Maybe I want yours. I think we both know that I can take him.."

"Shut the fuck up," Rogue tensed with fury.

"Oh what's the matter the truth a little hard to handle baby?"

"Try it. I dare you to walk up to him, I'll have Jean come out and stand by so she can sew you up.."

"Okay." Heatwave said with a smirk and started for the previously undeclared, but now declared battlefield named Logan. Feeling something hit her between the shoulder blades she turned her head to glare a Rogue who stood there with her chin raised and a stubborn possessive look on her face.

"Mine."

"We'll see." Heatwave said walking backwards, her hair ruffling with the amount of heat she was putting off.

"Rogue," Jean's voice had both women glancing at her and Heatwave snickered at the look of concern on the redheads face.

"You'd better go learn how to play nice."

"Shut up," Rogue snarled and moved toward Jean, following the other woman inside even as Heatwave rolled her shoulders and grinned.

"Ease up," Logan's feral growl behind her had her head snapping around.

"Tell that to your little girlfriend tiger," Heatwave drawled, "Before she winds up six feet under."

"If you don't ease up, the only one who is going to be six feet under'll be you."

"Perhaps," Heatwave glanced at him, "But then again it might just be you. Crossbow isn't too fond of people who threaten me."

"Fuck him."

"I'm trying!" Heatwave replied as she stalked off toward the mansion. "With limited success."

Hurrying inside Heatwave shook her head, right now all she wanted was to get out of this house, out of this nightmare that living here had become. Give her a run down shack in the middle of nowhere anytime, at least then she wouldn't be dealing with a jealous twit.

Seeing movement out of the corner of her eye she tensed, whirling to face the threat instinctively only to find herself staring at the lights in the ceiling, the air knocked forcefully from her lungs.

"What do I have to do, beat your head in?" Rogue snarled from where she knelt on the platinum woman's chest.

"Get off me," Heatwave gasped with a snarl.

"You fucked up."

"No sister, you did," Heatwave snapped, shifting and sending Rogue sailing across the floor with a well-placed foot. Flipping to her feet she faced the younger woman with a sad little shake of her head. "You're weak. I'd beat your ass but I'm not in the mood."

"Yeah we both know what you're in the mood for," Rogue snapped and punched her, sending Heatwave back a step or two before she regained her balance.

"You're gonna get a pounding girl, take some advice and back off."

"Kiss my ass," Rogue snapped as she kicked the other girl in the chest, sending her careening backwards into a nearby table. Noting the easy way that her nemesis caught the expensive vase before putting it aside with only a bare thought Rogue moved into the fight. Logan had taught her well.

Grunting when Heatwave tackled her, a shoulder into her chest as they hit the floor, Rogue relaxed into the fall, avoiding injury and gathered her strength to hit the other girl in the face with a fist.

Seeing stars, Heatwave tightened her grip on Rogue's throat and lifted her, rolling and pinning the other girl to the floor without hesitation, she'd been trained to deal with this shit. Using her weight to pin Rogue down she hit her, pounding on her until the other girl sent her flying with a well-placed kick to the abdomen.

The distinct coppery tang of fresh blood had Heatwave glancing down at her hand and she stared for a split second at the thick red substance on her fingers. With a low snarl she moved quickly, one foot catching Rogue's legs and knocking them out from under her, even as an elbow connected with the girl's face. Hearing the sickening crunch of a broken nose Heatwave smirked at Rogue who shook her head, tears pooling in her eyes as she tried not to scream at the feel of the pain from a shattered nose.

"Had enough yet?"

"Fuck you," Rogue grunted getting agilely to her feet and facing the other woman, her hands clenching convulsively. "I'm gonna make you sorry you were ever born."

"Oh? You waitin' for an invite?" Heatwave drawled silkily, the threat of steel in her tone-making Rogue grit her teeth.

Moving quickly, seemingly effortlessly, Rogue kicked Heatwave in the middle of her chest, smirking at the crack of the other woman's ribs as she stumbled backwards, knocking over the vase and shattering it. Moving a little closer, Rogue mentally apologized for the broken vase even as she hit Heatwave again, pinning her to the wall with a forearm on her throat.

"Stay the hell away from him," she whispered with a furious growl.

"Look kid, I don't want him. You can have Logan until doomsday for all I care. I've got my own guy," Heatwave panted, her ribs were sending shards of pain radiating up her body. "And he's ten times better 'n that hairy thing you're so hung up on," instantly regretting her comment, Heatwave braced her hands as she hit the wall face first. Taunting Rogue was not the best pursuit to have, whirling she caught Rogue with a foot in the other woman's chest, sending her crashing to the floor.

"What the hell is going on?" Jean's voice was loud, clear and filled with fury.

Raising a hand, Heatwave sent Jean sliding down the hall, a wave of heat-induced pressure sending her out of the way of this little feminine version of 'who can piss the furthest'. "Stay out of this." The snarl was low, tight and Heatwave ducked to avoid the table drawer that sailed toward her head, catching the wall and shattering into a thousand pieces the contents scattering on the hardwood floor.

"There is nothing wrong with him," Rogue's tone was quiet, too soft, too controlled and Heatwave rolled her eyes.

"If you go for a hairy ape I guess not," she shot back wondering what Crossbow was going to have to say about this when he found out. And he would, she didn't heal as fast as some of the other mutants, and while she could mend her broken bones fairly quickly she didn't regenerate her body parts or anything like that, so she would be bruised and in pain for some time. Just one more thing to thank little miss jealousy over there for. "Besides he's a little too old for me.." Grunting harshly she winced at the pain in her ribs as Rogue tackled her and pinned her to the floor.

Avoiding Rogue's fists was hard, but Heatwave managed to duck a few before she sent Rogue flying with a well placed punch followed by a strong kick. Climbing to her feet, she glanced at Rogue who was crawling to her feet a few yards down the hall she gasped, "Had enough?"

"Depends.."

"Oh for fuck sake!" Throwing her hands in the air Heatwave glared at the young woman. "Fine you win. I'll stay as far away from him as possible, you just do the same."

"Fine," Rogue said glaring the other woman who shook her head and stared at her for a moment.

"Come on," Heatwave said, hoisting Rogue to her feet with ease. "Lets get you cleaned up then we're gonna chat."

"Really?" Rogue sounded doubtful.

"Yeah, I think it's a little past due," Heatwave drawled as she ushered Rogue down the hallway toward their rooms, her movements stiff and pain filled as she did so. "It's been a long time coming but we need to get it done."

"You do realize I hate you," Rogue snapped as Heatwave pushed her into her room, and pulled on the door.

"Hate me all you want to but be ready to go out in one hour or I'll dress you myself," Heatwave closed the door firmly and headed for her room wincing painfully as she did so.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An hour later Heatwave tucked her cell phone into her jeans pocket and pulled on the battered duster that she'd tossed over the end of the bed. Glancing at Rogue who sat nursing her broken nose she smiled, "You ready?"

"You broke my nose," Rogue replied softly with a disgruntled look.

"It'll heal."

"Where's Logan's healing power when I need it?" Rogue moaned softly her eyes watering as she touched the broken item.

"On the football field," Heatwave chuckled, "Well come on kid, lets get the hell outta here."

"You serious?" Rogue stared at her in horror. "They're gonna kill us.."

"Hmmph, who cares? I haven't lived this long without learning to take some chances baby. Besides the only ones who are really gonna care are a) on the football field and b) somewhere in Mexico chasing his own fears."

"I am so dead," Rogue muttered but followed along, determined to make sure the other woman meant she wasn't going to chase Logan anymore.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulling into the parking lot of a beat up old building Heatwave killed the engine and pulled the key from the ignition. "Come on kid, let's go."

"Where the hell are we?"

"On old haunt," Heatwave stated as they walked into the bar.

"I'll bet."

Sinking into a chair at the end of the bar, Heatwave glanced at the bartender, an old, bitter lookin' fellow who barely glanced at them before moving toward the row of glasses.

"What'll it be ladies?"

"Two Molsen's and a couple shots of whiskey," Heatwave ordered. "Better yet just leave us the bottle of whiskey and keep the beer coming. Tuck these into the safe would ya?" Tossing him the keys she grinned at Rogue and handed her a beer.

"So what are we doing here? I thought you said we were gonna chat."

"We are," came the reply, "I think it's high time we settled something."

"Oh?" Rogue's tone held disbelief.

"Yeah. I think we both need to come to terms with this," Heatwave sighed and raked a hand through her hair. "I'm not after Logan okay, never have been, never will be."

"But.."

"Look he reminds me so much of Crossbow, my guy that I can't help it if I need to sit with him, watch the game with him, it's not about Logan. It's about feelin' like I belong."

"Crossbow?" Rogue frowned, another guy like Logan? It was impossible, wasn't it? "You mean he's another Logan?"

"Good God no!" laughing Heatwave shook her head. "Crossbow is well he's different, he's smart and funny. But he can get wild at times. Frankly Logan is like a wilder, more untamed version of Crossbow."

"But you said he reminds you.."

"Sure he does, same dark hair, rugged good looks but Crossbow's different. You'll understand when you meet him."

"Meet him?"

"Yeah he's coming to meet me at the mansion. Said so himself."

"Why does it seem like you're overjoyed at that?"

"Cause it's been five friggin' years since we met and in all that time he flat out refuses to have sex with me. Keeps insisting I need to grow up.."

"Sounds familiar," Rogue whispered and took along pull of the beer. "Except it's you're my sister kid, I promised to take care of you.."

"Who the fuck said we needed takin' care of?" Heatwave asked after a few more sips. "I mean I was doing okay before him and I got together. I don't need him to act like my father, or my brother, or or.."

"Yeah," Rogue sighed. "I know he loves me. I just don't think he loves me like I love him.."

"Shit honey, that man's head over heels for you. You can see it in his eyes every time he looks at you. He has a big problem with restraining himself around you, and quite frankly I'm surprised you're not moved into his bedroom."

"Cause he still thinks of me as a kid."

"Yeah," staring into her beer Heatwave sighed and picked at the label. "I'm sorry about this whole thing Rogue. I shouldn't have let things get so out of hand."

"I shouldn't have over reacted and caused a fight. The professor finds out and he's gonna be madder'n hell."

"Yeah but he'll forgive you. Even Logan will forgive you, once he stops being such a dickhead and realizes that he's got a good thing."

"Just wish he'd hurry the hell up," Rogue snapped and picked up the shot glass of whiskey. "Cause I ain't gonna get any younger before he does."

Laughing Heatwave stared at the girl, when the idea of the man in Rogue's life was out of the way she was a lot of fun. Maybe they'd even be friends by the end of this drinking session that is unless someone with a death wish decided to interrupt.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is she doing here?" the bar owner, a pudgy middle aged woman glared at the table across the room.

"Drinkin'."

"You do realize that if Gabe finds out.."

"Naw they're sitting bitchin' bout the men in their lives. Been at it for nearly three hours already."

"And you're still servin' 'em?"

"Why not?" the man drawled, holding up the keys to the battered jeep with a grin. "I've got her wheels so it's not like she's gonna go wrap herself around a tree."

"I really wish you'd kill me now," The woman sighed, "Because when he finds out that his girl is sitting having a piss-up we're both gonna get skewered."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laughing hard Rogue stared at Heatwave, "No. You didn't!"

"I sure as shit did," Heatwave replied firmly, a grin sneaking past her control. "Told him in no uncertain terms that I wanted to fuck his brains out."

"What did he do?"

"Ran," she replied sadly, "Like I figured he would. The coward."

"Men, it must be in their genetic makeup to be stupid."

"You know what their problems are?" Heatwave said leaning forward as though to tell a big secret. "They haven't figured out yet that we should do the thinkin' in the relationships, cause they don't know how."

"Yeah they seemed to be a little too noble and.."

"Exactly. I mean it's not like we're completely stupid and naīve. I was on the streets for fuck sakes!"

"Men," tapping the glass against Heatwave's beer bottle Rogue took a long pull. "Should just knock 'em in the head and lock 'em up till we need 'em."

"You go girl," Heatwave laughed at the image of knocking Logan out. Grabbing her stomach she bent over as the sharp pains quickly spasmed up her body, even as she fought the tears forming in her eyes.

"I would hate to try it though, knowing my luck he'd lock me up."

"That could be good," she replied still laughing. "Just think you, him, and a locked door."

"You're bad."

"I know."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulling into the driveway of an opulent mansion Crossbow sighed, the trip had been hell and he was tired but the promise of unwinding with Heatwave was enough to push the exhaustion aside at least temporarily.

Closing the truck door he headed up the steps and pushed the doorbell only to cringe at the loud, angry shouts that came from inside. Please don't let her be involved. Please don' t let her be involved, he prayed as the door opened and a tall, beautiful redhead stood looking at him with a pained expression.

"Yes?"

"I'm looking for Heatwave.."

"Aren't we all," the woman muttered and stepped back to allow him entrance. "She seems to have wandered off, or gone into hiding."

"Huh?'

"She had a fight with one of the other residents," the woman started to explain.

"Fight?" Crossbow repeated and raised an eyebrow at the disgruntled looking fellow stalking toward them.

"Where is she Jean?"

"How the hell do I know Logan? I don't keep tabs on everyone in this place."

"You said they were fighting, and now they seemed to have disappeared.."

"Shit," Jerking the phone out of his pocket Crossbow punched in a number and waited, counting the rings.

"Helloooo," The soft, sultry laugh on the other end after twelve rings had him closing his eyes.

"Hey girl, where you at?"

"I am having fun with my friend. Where you at Hot Pants?"

"About to get stabbed," Crossbow drawled and shifted, pushing his hat up a little. "Look it's seven at night, what are you doing?"

"Go for it," the soft laugh echoed through the phone a split second before the sound of a large crash on the other end made him wince. Damn super hearing, who the hell needed it.

Watching Rogue as she cleaned the pool table Heatwave paid little attention to the phone pressed to her ear, "Hey girlfriend, look's like your little admirer is back." She pointed to the young man who eyed Rogue's slim body with open heat.

"Oh fuck.."

"I think that's what he wants," she laughed picking up her beer. "Now rack 'em baby, and let's get this show on the road."

"Who's on the phone?"

"Studly. Hey, you wanna say hi?"

"Ooh, yeah," Rogue dropped the pool cue and glared at the man who'd started closing in on her. Grabbing the phone she grinned at Heatwave, "Hello."

"Uh hi, look could you do me a big favor and tell me where the heck you are?"

"Uh I'm not sure," Rogue said softly frowning slightly. "I think we're in a bar but then, uh oh.."

"What?"

"Look just hang on a second." Rogue said putting the phone down as the creep started moving a little closer to Heatwave. "You want something buster?"

"Naw, just admiring the view."

"Well unless you wanna get your eyes burnt out I'd suggest you back off. We're together," Rogue, snarled, the Logan in her head making a sharp appearance.

"Hey Rogue you wanna grab the phone," Heatwave smiled at her, "Tell him to take a hike it's your shot."

"Gotcha," Rogue said picking up the phone and folding it over so it hung up.

Growling at the sudden dial tone Crossbow eyed the small group standing staring at him, avoiding the furious glare from one man. "What?"

"Well? Did they say where they were?"

"No. Not that I really expected her to either," Crossbow sighed and jerked his hat off to run his hand through his hair before plunking the battered Stetson back on his head, ignoring the shared looks that were filled with shock. "I'll try it again."

"Yeah then give me the phone," Logan growled furiously, his hands clenching, the need to pop his claws and tear into someone very powerful.


Opening the phone as it rang again, Rogue glanced at Heatwave who was busy shooting pool. "Should I answer it?"

"Naw, it's only Crossbow again. Let him stew and come play another round."

"You two aren't leaving until you're both sober.." the owner called.

"Darlin' I ain't leaving until I'm ready," Heatwave replied seriously, toasting him with her half empty bottle of beer. "And right now I'm pissed off at that man of mine so he can go straight to hell."

"Great. He's gonna come in here any minute and tear us apart.."

"Naw he won't. He's in Mexico," Heatwave replied as the phone continued to ring. Taking it she tucked in into her bra and rolled her shoulders. "That'll take care of him. It's your shot Rogue, let's get this game on."

"Ooh, you realize if Logan doesn't find me he's gonna go lookin'."

"Fuck him." Heatwave drawled and shrugged, "it ain't like he's really got a say. He's not your boyfriend, not your lover, not your father, guardian.."

"Okay I get the picture," Rogue pouted. "But damn I'd give my eyeteeth for a piece of him."

"Honey by the time this night's through we may both be cringing over this," Heatwave said as Rogue struck the ball and sent it deep into the pocket. Yes sir, Logan and Crossbow could just kiss her ass. She wasn't going to wait around for a man to wake up and take what she so clearly was willing to give. Nope, not her, not anymore. Crossbow would phone back in a few minutes and until she was calm she wasn't going to talk to him.


"Well that went well." Logan ground out.

"I have a pretty good idea where she's at," Crossbow said dialing the phone again.

"Patti's Pub.."

"Hey Moody, look is my girl there?"

"Uh yeah, and she's got a friend with her. They're both drunk as a pair of skunks."

"How long they been there?'

"Few hours, chased everyone else out by the way. Man when she wants to turn the heat on she really clears a place out."

"There is a reason we call her Heatwave and it ain't got anything to do with the way she looks in jeans," Crossbow muttered under his breath. Damn that woman she must be pissed at him to have taken off and gone to Patti's. "Look do me a favor and don't tell her I called. I'm gonna head up that way.."

"Uh you do realize that even with those fancy planes they got nowadays we're several hours from Mexico," the bartender replied seriously.

"Oh that's okay. I have a feelin' I'm gonna enjoy this little round of chasin' the heat around."

"Yeah well don't wreck my bar again."

"Now when did I do that?"

"Uh last time you two had a fight and you were half an hour later than she was. You put enough holes with those arrows of yours into the walls to make this place a sieve."

With a muted groan, Crossbow shook his head, "Just don't let 'em go anywhere. I'll be by to collect that little twit shortly."

"Oh I won't be lettin' either of them go anywhere. They're both too drunk and abusing my poor pool table."

"Ha, that pool table's had a lot worse than a pair of drunken women playing on it."

"Listen you metallic brained.."

"Gotta run, see you soon," Crossbow said. "And if you know what's good for you, you'll keep your mouth shut."

"Yes sir. Just so long as you get them outta here before tomorrow morning we'll be good."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Crossbow muttered as the phone clicked off in his palm.

"So they there?"

"Yep," with a grin Crossbow eyed them. "You wanna join me?"

"Where we going?"

"To have a little fun at Shasta's expense. Damn fool woman, I tell her to keep her nose clean and what does she do? She takes some young kid out and gets her drunk."

"Rogue's twenty.."

"Oh fuck!" Crossbow whirled on his booted foot and headed for his pickup. "Either way she's still not in the same league as Heatwave."

"Well she will be," Logan ground out. "Cause when I get my claws on them they're both going to be dead."

"Well you're gonna have to get in line," Crossbow muttered with a familiar sounding metallic clunk as he cracked his neck. "Cause I'm gonna put blisters where there ain't never been any in her life."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eying the clock Rogue shrugged, something told her that staying put was dangerous, some little sense of self-preservation told her to get while the getting was good. "Heatwave?"

"Yeah?" Heatwave asked from where she lay staring at the ceiling on the now bare pool table.

"I think we should leave. Something tells me…"

"Our men folk are coming?" Heatwave said raising her head. "Yeah I feel it to. Only problem is, the bartender's got the keys and he's not here anymore."

"Yeah but he didn't lock us in did he? Maybe we could like hotwire the jeep?"

"Nope. Jeep's not about to get hotwired, Crossbow will kill me for it."

"And he's not going to kill you for getting drunk and disappearing?" Rogue asked as she shifted, putting her feet on the back of the chair at the table she was laying on.

"Yeah but this way he's going to make it a quick, painless kill. If I were to hotwire the jeep, he'd take days to kill me."

"Logan's gonna be pissed. I can just hear him now, Rogue you're a kid, you don't need to be off getting drunk," Rogue stated in a deep voice then giggled. "Course he's so cute when he does that, makes me want to hug him."

"You have it bad girl."

"Yeah well he is my hero you know. My saving grace, the man I want to screw until I'm so sore I can't walk.."

"Do not go any further," Heatwave said shifting and reaching for her beer. "We both know that you and Logan's sex life is your own."

"What sex life?" Rogue hissed. "I'm a twenty year old virgin with no foreseeable deflowering."

"Yeah I know," Heatwave said as she downed the beer. "But at least he's still there. You can touch him whenever you want to; he's not in some little fuckin' country chasing a dark haired bitch."

"You sure he's chasing someone?"

"Crossbow is good lookin', he's single and he's got enough sexual energy to light up New York State. Of course he's gonna be chasing some skirt, he's a man ain't he."

"Yeah," Rogue sighed. "I still say we should find somewhere else to be. They show up and we're both gonna be sorry, and I don't mean with a hangover."

"I know." Rolling over Heatwave struggled to sit up, her brain was fuzzy and she had a hard time sitting up but she managed it. Grinning stupidly as she realized she was drunk and sitting on a worn out green felt of a pool table she started to laugh.

"What's so funny?"

"Just thinkin' that I'm totally drunk."

"You and me both," Rogue said lifting her head slightly, "Do you hear something?"

"Yep," Heatwave said softly, "A brand new, supped up Chevy pickup truck with someone who is furious behind the wheel."

"How is that possible?"

"Don't know," Heatwave replied softly hopping off the table. "But I'm not gonna stick around to figure it out. Come on," dragging a drunken Rogue off the table and into the back she pushed her into the broom closet, "Stay quiet. With any luck he won't pick up on our scent."

"Oh shit," Rogue said softly as the door closed and she was intimately embraced by a mop and several dry rags, "He is so gonna kill me."

"SHH," the drunken hiss echoed in the bar.

"HEATWAVE!" Crossbow shouted and listened, damn fool woman. The jeep was still here which meant she was still here and that was a good thing. At least for her.

"Well?"

"Shut up," Crossbow growled at Jean. "I can hear her."

"Yeah, they're still here," Logan grunted moving further into the room. Moving slowly, softly he swept the room with his gaze even as he could hear the slight shuffling of drunken feet.

"What the hell is going on here?" the feminine voice had everyone whirling to face a disgruntled woman in a faded cotton robe, her hair up in rollers.


Hearing Patti start to shout, Heatwave grabbed the door and jerked Rogue out of the closet, "Come on."

Getting pulled along silently Rogue tried not to get too uneasy as they moved steadily to the back door and slid it open. Stepping out into the cool night air, she glanced at Heatwave who shrugged and grinned.

"What are we doing?"

"Avoiding the temper tantrum," Heatwave drawled and headed stealthily for the truck. "Come on, get in."

"You're drunk."

"Who said we were going to drive?" Heatwave said as she flipped a little console open and punched in the address. "The truck gets to drive, we're going to sit back and enjoy the ride."

"I am so dead," Rogue groaned as the truck started up, the lights flashing on and a moment later they were pulling out of the parking lot. "Logan is going to skin you and skewer me."

"Naw he won't," Heatwave smiled drunkenly at her. "Damn fool loves you, just gotta get him to realize it."

"Yeah, which he will do after he's got me at the end of his claws."

"Just relax. They can't do anything until they catch us," Heatwave said cranking the heater on and turning the radio to full blast even as she slid a CD with AC/DC on it into the player.

"I am so dead," Rogue muttered leaning back and closing her eyes the effects of the booze dragging her under.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Uh guys?" Jean's voice had them turning to look at her. "The truck just drove off."

"What?" Scott hurried to the door even as their newest 'guide' followed a little slower. Spotting the retreating taillights of the truck he groaned, "Great now we're stuck here without wheels. Remind me again why I listened to you.."

"Take a chill pill hot shot; I know where they're going."

"Really? Cause so far every place you've said they'd be.."

"They were here," Crossbow drawled eying Patti. "Right?"

"Unfortunately. Look someone's gonna have to pay for that door Crossbow.."

"Just put it on my tab Patti and I'll send ya a check," with an angry grunt, Crossbow snatched the keys from the woman's hand and stepped back, "See ya."

"I'm coming with you," Logan growled. "She's got some explaining to do.."

"Have fun. They're probably both passed out by now."

"Well then it'll be fun to wake 'em up and skin both of them alive for makin' us worry."

"Oh brother," Scott muttered as the two men disappeared out the door.

"Did anyone other than myself notice the similarities?" Storm asked
softly.

"Didn't pay much attention.." Scott admitted.

"You're right Storm; it was like looking at a copy of him. Similar mannerisms, similar attitude, and just as rough around the edges; only difference was he wasn't as mean and nasty. And he looks hot with long hair," Jean whispered softly. "I think we've got two of 'em."

"God I hope not," Scott groaned. "Bad enough we got one!"


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curling onto the spare bed Rogue closed her eyes sleep calling to her. Damn this wasn't going the way it was supposed to. She wanted Logan to notice she was a woman, not go chasing off after her cause she bruised his pride by not staying at the mansion where it was safe!

What did she need with another father figure, she already had one in the professor, an older brother in Scott, she needed a lover, partner not a replacement of the others.

"Go to sleep Rogue, you're gonna have a killer headache in the morning," the soft voice had her cringing.

"If I survive the night."

"Logan ain't gonna kill you," she shot back. "Night."

"Night."


Stopping the jeep in front of a simple, A-framed house Crossbow slid out and started for the front door," You sure they're here?" Logan demanded, he didn't see the truck, and the faint smell of Marie wasn't just that, very faint, almost as though she wasn't here.

"Yeah," Crossbow said opening the door and stripping off his jacket, hat, gloves, and bow before cranking a light on, "This is home when we're not in BC."

"We're in Canada though.."

"Yeah, she feels comfortable around here," Crossbow said and nodded slightly. The soft thud of her heartbeat was strong, the only problem was figuring out whose heart it was he could hear. Closing his eyes he focused on listening for Heatwave's and nodded at a door. "Your kid's in there," he pointed to it.

"I figured that out," Logan growled as the other man stalked to another door and jerked it open. Moving quickly he stepped into the room and noted Rogue lying on the bed, a frown between her eyes even as she snored softly. The only woman he knew who could snore and still sound sexy. Pushing the thought aside he closed the door and stalked to the bed.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Morning sunshine," Crossbow growled slapping Heatwave's denim encased hip sharply.

"Fuck off."

"You must be feelin' pretty smart.."

"Kiss my ass," Heatwave muttered moving away from him on the bed. "And take your little friend with you when you leave."

"Uh huh, you're not gettin' off that easily," Crossbow said dragging her into a sitting position and plunkin' her on the head of the bed so she had to sit still. "You want to explain what the hell you were thinkin'?"

"I was thinking we could get away from it all and have fun! You know something you never have, something you don't want to have."

"I have all the fun I can handle cleaning up after you."

Staring at him Heatwave swallowed, pain and anger warring within her. Sucking in a quick breath she glared at him as anger won, "Go to hell Crossbow. Who needs this shit huh? I'm tired of having you around just so you can act like this. I'm twenty two years old I have a brain, I can live by myself.."

"Yeah? Then would you explain what the hell you were thinkin' taking a kid out and getting her drunk?"

"She's not a kid! What do we have to do to make the pair of you understand that we are not children, that we're grown up?"

"Maybe act like it," Crossbow shouted. "Cause runnin' off and getting shit-faced isn't doing it for me."

"How typical?" Heatwave laughed, the alcohol burning off and sanity returning with a vengeance. "This isn't about you Crossbow, this is about me. This is about Rogue, and what we want."

"What is that exactly? Huh Heatwave, what exactly do you want?" Crossbow snapped angrily.

"Something you're obviously never gonna give me," she replied softly, her face ashen but her eyes filled with pain filled acceptance, "No matter how long I wait, no matter how many times I beg for it, you're never gonna give it to me," swinging her legs over the edge of the bed she stared at him silently for a moment.

"Heatwave don't you put this on me.."

"I'm not," softly, tonelessly she shrugged, "I'm doing what you want me to do. Growing up, facing facts, maturity is the pits didn't you tell me once. Well here's something for you to think about Crossbow. I've known you for six years, six years of living hard, walking the darker side of this world, and I know you inside and out, but you, you don't have a clue about who I am. To you I'm just that kid you pulled out of an alley, and that's all I'm ever gonna be."

"Shasta," he started.

"No Crossbow, my name is Heatwave," Heatwave held up a hand when he moved to approach her. "Don't. It won't work." Opening the bedroom door she stalked across the floor and knocked before entering the bedroom where Rogue was sleeping.

"What do you want?" Logan's angry growl had her glancing at him then turning her attention to Rogue who looked sick.

"How's the head?"

"I'm drunk.."

"Yeah I know, and unfortunately I'm not," Jerking a jacket off a peg behind the door she dug through the pocket and pulled out a key ring. "This is the keys to my old car, it's not much just a beat up old Camero but still, it'll get you back to the mansion in one piece."

"I'm sorry," Rogue stared at her hard. It didn't take a genius to see that she'd pulled away from the man she loved and it was killin' her.

"Don't be. It was a long time coming," Heatwave said as she tossed her the keys. "I guess I owe you an apology Logan, I didn't mean to get Rogue into trouble, didn't mean to make her fall off that little pedestal that she's been sittin' on."

"You got her drunk.."

"No, I believe that was the whiskey and beer that did that. I just didn't stop buying it, but then I guess us immature people are like that. Buying booze rather than waiting around for someone to realize that we loved 'em," With a pained smile she turned and stalked out the front door closing it with a resounding click even as Logan and Rogue stared at the man standing in the middle of the room glaring at the door.

"She isn't coming back," Rogue called and shifted. "So I guess we're heading back to the Mansion?"

"Yeah. And it's a four hour drive so we'll have lots of time to talk."

"By that you mean you talk and I listen?"

"Yeah," Logan growled as she stood up on shaky legs to head for the door, her movements careful even as she stumbled drunkenly. Shaking his head he rose and picked her up to start out the door without a glance at the man standing so still and silently.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pulling into Patti's parking lot, Heatwave glared at the trio that sat on the front steps and shook her head, this was just a single nightmare that decorated her life. Hoping she'd been wrong, that he was going to realize she wanted him had proven to be more than just useless, it was stupid. Because he knew it, knew what she felt for him but it wasn't enough. He didn't want her like she wanted him, didn't love her like she loved him and that killed the small microbe of hope she'd nursed for so long.

Swallowing her pain she hopped out of the jeep and stalked to the door, it was still hanging a little crookedly, which meant that Patti hadn't gotten it fixed yet and she stepped through it, stepping on Jean in the process. Moving through the darkness she grabbed her Stetson, and the jacket she'd wore in before turning and heading back out the door.

Without a word to those sitting watching her she climbed back into her jeep and put it in gear. Turning in her seat she eyed the open road behind her and stepped on the gas hard, cranking the wheel even as rocks flew, and her tires screeched as she hit pavement and slammed on the brakes to shift into drive. Hitting the gas she barely glanced at the speedometer as it climbed the dial, and she rolled down the window so the summer breeze would hit her in the face, drying the tears that fell.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting in her room Rogue played with the end of a scarf as she stared at the bed underneath her. Logan had brought her back to the mansion, dumped her in her room with only a glare, and stalked off. The long lecture she'd been anticipating hadn't materialized, in fact he hadn't said more than a few words to her, the ones he had hurt more than all the shouting in the world.

"When are you going to grow up Kid? Huh, don't you realize what could have happened? God damn it kid, you're old enough to know better. Like some sick, twisted form of torture the words kept repeating over and over again and she swallowed another batch of tears.

It had been nearly a month now since she'd seen Heatwave last, a month of Logan disappearing routinely and coming back, but he didn't seek her out anymore, didn't sit with her at dinner, instead he ignored her, even going so far as to leave the room whenever she entered and she'd taken to spending her time in her room. It wasn't like there was anything out there with the others she wanted, no that wasn't true, it was simply that she couldn't have what she wanted so she didn't bother to torture herself.

Hearing the jarring ring of her bedside phone she picked it up, better to talk to someone who called than have them coming into the room.

"Hello."

"Hey Rogue," Heatwave's voice sounded different, hoarse and tight.

"Heatwave, where are you? What are you doing?" Rogue demanded, glad to have a friendly voice to talk to. "How are you?"

"Been better," she replied softly then sighed. "Look I'm in New York right now, you wanna go catch a movie, get a bite to eat. I just, I need someone to talk to."

"Sure. I'll meet you.."

"No that's okay; I'll pick you up in say half an hour?"

"Okay. Out front?"

"Yeah, I'm on the road to the mansion at the moment and figured might as well phone first."

"Thanks."

"Hey, how's it going?"

"I'll tell you when I see you," Rogue said and hung up. There was no point in admitting the Logan had turned away from her, away from what she offered, it wasn't Heatwave's fault, it was her own for expecting Logan to be something, someone he wasn't. He wasn't going to love her, nobody was, she wasn't worth the effort, brushing aside tears she quickly changed into her movie going clothes and headed out the door even as she glanced at the clock.

Rolling to a stop on the gravel Heatwave stared at the mansion for a few seconds, she hated this place. Hated that it had destroyed those grand illusions she'd had of him waking up to realize she loved the man not the image he had. A month of endless nights and painful days had done little to help ease her mind; especially when she had come to the realization that all his little I love yous, and promises of being together had been as hollow as she felt. He had spun her a tale she was desperate to believe because she wanted it that way. It didn't help that he hadn't called, hadn't been bothered to phone her and at least say 'you were right kid'.

"Hey," the masculine voice had her shifting, turning her head to stare at a tall, dirty blonde with red and black eyes. "You be wantin' sometin' chere?"

"Just waiting for Rogue," Heatwave drawled coldly. "And there she is."

Cranking the engine over as Rogue opened the door she glanced at her and smiled painfully," I take it he doesn't know you're leaving?"

"He don't care," Rogue drawled. "He hasn't spoken to me since we got back, matter of fact I'll wager he'll be relieved I'm outta here for a few hours. So what are you dressed up for?" she asked eying the summer dress and high heeled boots.

"I've come to a decision," Heatwave said as she waited for Rogue to stow her gear in the back and put her seatbelt on before shifting into drive. "I'm gonna get laid tonight. I'm tired of waiting for someone to take what I've been so willing to give. I doubt if he'll even care, he's back in Mexico or somewhere fuckin' everything in a skirt."

"Heatwave don't do something you're gonna regret."

"I've spent six full years doing something I'm regretting. Six years of waiting for him to see me as something more than just a kid he pulled outta a dumpster, see me as a woman," she said as the jeep started rolling forward. "He isn't going to do that so I'm movin' on. I'm gonna do what I want, with who ever I want and to hell with the consequences."

The pain in her voice broke what was left of Rogue's heart and she sighed, pushing aside the desire to cry, "Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe you're right; maybe you've got the right idea. Let's do it. Any ideas where to find someone?"

"Sure, Blue Moon Bar, spent two days there last week. There's lots of people, some cute guys and no Crossbow.."

"Or Logan.." Smiling sadly Rogue nodded as they pulled into traffic. "Sounds good."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staring after the battered jeep Remy frowned, sure he didn't think Logan was right for Rogue, but he'd been there long enough to see that the young woman was head over heels for the burly Canadian, and the feeling was totally mutual. Logan was so hung up on Rogue it was surprising that she managed to breathe.

Turning he headed for the common room, might as well ask Logan about it. There was little that could be done, Rogue had obviously given up on waiting for Logan to realize what he had; it was just too bad that she'd decided to go about it with someone who wasn't from the mansion.

"You look pensive," Bobby commented as he walked into the room.

"Where be Logan? Remy lookin' for 'im."

"Haven't seen him since lunch. Might as well plunk your ass on the couch though, a couple of hours and there's a fight on television he said he was going to watch."

Nodding Remy did as was suggested; it wasn't like Rogue was going to find someone within two hours for crying out loud!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tossing the wrench back into the toolbox Logan glared at the truck, frustration clawing at him. He could have lost her so fast, could have had her taken away and all cause she wanted to get out of the mansion. Why didn't she come to him? Why would she go with a stranger, with Heatwave?

"Fuck," rolling his shoulders he kicked at the tires of the truck, it was confusing to say the least, and what's more it hurt. He'd noted the tension between the two women, hell everyone had and he'd just pushed it aside, they were both young, both attractive, why would they be at odds? But then something had shifted that day when he'd watched them square off on the edge of the football field.

It had suddenly become crystal clear that they weren't competing against each other for some adolescent reason; no what was worse was that they were competing over him. Had either of them bothered to ask, they'd have discovered that as far as he was concerned, Rogue won hands down. She always had, always would, but no instead they pounded the piss out of each other, then they proceed to go drink themselves into a drunken stupor and all for some foolish stupidity!

He thought Rogue was smarter than that, smarter than lettin' herself get carried away with jealousy and anger, but it appeared he'd been wrong. When it came right down to it, maybe he'd been wrong about a lot of things, like how she felt about him. Maybe he'd just been kiddin' himself; perhaps she didn't care as much as he wanted her to. Maybe he was nothing more than that annoying guy who'd saved her life but that didn't mean nothin'. Shakin' his head he growled and headed inside for a beer, maybe it would help to tame his thoughts because right now all he wanted was to destroy something and he didn't have the money to pay for any repairs around this place.

Stalking into the common room he glanced at the clock, it was five minutes until the game and he growled at Remy who shifted, moving down the couch with an uneasy look at him. Snatching the remote he flipped the channels until he hit the one where the fight was and took a long slow drink of his beer.

"Uh Logan.."

"Remy I ain't interested in chattin'," Logan growled.

"Yeah Remy be knowin', but see Remy have a question.."

"What?" Logan snarled turning to glare at the younger man.

"Why be Rogue.."

"Logan, you've got company," Jean interrupted and everyone turned to look at the tall, dark haired man standing in the doorway, his long hair pulled back into a ponytail.

"Crossbow," Logan snarled. "I haven't seen her, go away."

"You seen Rogue lately?" Crossbow demanded crossing his arms over his chest, "Cause I got a call from my bank a couple hours ago, seems two very pretty young women one with red streaks in her hair, the other with platinum streaks just drained my account of the rather considerable amount that was in it."

"What?" Jean gaped at him.

"Why?"

"Dey be saying they's gonna get laid," Remy stated and swallowed as both men turned to him.

"WHAT?" Logan roared.

"Dat what dey be sayin'. Remy be outside when dis jeep pull in, pretty lady say she be waitin' for Rogue. Rogue got in and they went to town."

"They say where?" Jean asked noting the sudden tension in the bodies of both men, as well as the growing fear in the room from the students.

"Didn't really catch dat part, Blue sometin'."

"Blue Moon." Logan said rising to his feet smoothly his face set in a scowl. "Which means we're in deep shit."

"You said it," Crossbow said following Logan. "We'll take my truck, it's faster."

"I'm driving."

"Whatever old man."

"Shut the fuck up."

Shaking his head, Crossbow followed Logan out to his truck and climbed into the passenger seat. "I should have seen this coming," he muttered with a scowl.

"How do you figure?"

"She's been saying she ain't a kid for so long that I guess I forgot that she really isn't a kid. I think she's tired of waiting around for me."

"I know the feelin'," Logan said spinning out as they hit the pavement, "We're in deep shit."

"What's so great about this Blue Moon bar?"

"It's a little above us."

"Oh."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting at the table Rogue watched Heatwave moving toward her a soft smile on her lips. Once they'd gotten here they'd settled in with a round, flirted with several good lookin' guys, danced a few dances and yet through it all something had been missing.

"Still no zing huh?"

"No," Heatwave settled across from her. "They're all too preppy, sorta like Scott Summers."

Laughing Rogue nodded and took another sip of her screwdriver, "We should've gone to a little more rustic a bar."

"Wouldn't matter," Heatwave drawled. "Anyone we meet isn't going to be the one. No point in having chuck steak when you're used to New York sirloin."

"Yeah. So we gonna call it a night?"

"Fuck no," Heatwave drawled. "I'm tired of listening and waiting for him. I'm gonna have fun, enjoy myself and forget at least for a few hours that he tore my heart out and stomped on it."

"Yeah, you're right. Another round?" Rogue asked signally the waitress who approached them with a smile.

"What can I get you?"

"Scotch, make both a triple, and four beer."

"Excellent."

"Make it the good scotch, the expensive stuff. That cheap shit isn't good enough."

"Got it."

Glancing at Heatwave Rogue raised an eyebrow. "How are we gonna afford the good stuff? My credit card is going to be maxed out.."

"Put that piece of plastic away baby, Crossbow is paying for this." She said holding up a hundred dollar bill and the other woman laughed.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Killing the engine in the parking lot, Logan stared at the front of the bar and groaned, "You'd think they'd pick something a little less.."

"Sparkly?" Crossbow asked a pained expression on his face. "I mean think about it, the man in her life is a little rough around the edges, and she goes to a preppy, upscale bar?"

"I see two entrances; maybe we should each take one. If they see both of us coming they're gonna get freaked."

"Good idea. I'll take this side."

"Meet you inside," Logan said pocketing the keys and heading for the side entrance.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You might want to save some of that money," Rogue suggested. "Then we can go shopping tomorrow!"

"You know you might have the right idea," Heatwave drawled. "Why should I pay for my new wardrobe when he can?"

"Just wish I'd thought to grab some of Logan's money, and then he could pay for a round or two."

"Don't matter. As long as it's getting paid for, who cares where the money comes from," she muttered then tensed as she caught sight of a dark haired man in a leather jacket. Shaking her head she sighed, she was too hung up on him.

"What?" Turning Rogue glanced around and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

"Overactive imagination," Heatwave explained as the waitress set the drinks on the table and darted off.

Shooting back the Scotch both women gasped at the burn but grinned anyway, that's why they were sitting in a bar, because it was the only avenue of escape they had. Downing their beers took a little longer and they glanced up at the waitress when she returned with another round of shooters.

"From the gentleman at the bar," the waitress said and both women turned to look at the bar but didn't see anyone.

"Uh thanks," Heatwave said as the woman moved off. "You getting sight of him yet?"

"No," Rogue replied and glanced at the shots before picking one up. Taking a long sniff she eyed Heatwave, "its bourbon."

"So?"

"Logan's favorite hard liqour is bourb..." Rogue trailed off as her eyes met a pair of hazel eyes over Heatwave's head.

"Bourbon?" Heatwave asked then groaned, her face paling as she recongized the man stepping up behind Rogue's chair. "Uh oh.."

"Um you said it," Rogue whispered staring behind her friend at the tall man who glared back at her. "Ladies room."

"What?" Heatwave said rising along with Rogue only to have a hard hand clamp down on her shoulder and push her back into her chair. "Rogue, please tell me it isn't who I think it is."

"I think we're both fried," Rogue replied softly, her body tensing as she turned her head and found her gaze even with the familiar buckle of Logan's belt.

"Oh no ladies, you're far from fried," Logan's voice was steely and he moved stealing another chair before plunking his butt into it and facing the pair who looked remarkably guilty.

"Fried wouldn't be the word I would use anyway."

"What would you use then?"

"Screwed," Rogue groaned and dropped her head onto the table.

"Sorry, I'm afraid you two have us mixed up with someone else," Heatwave glared at Crossbow after a couple of seconds. "You know someone who gives a shit.."

"Oh really? Funny seems to me you're about to get a lesson in giving a shit," Crossbow snarled back. "You disappear with no word where the hell you are, drain my bank account and you think I'm gonna mix you up with someone else?"

"Why not?" she shot back angrily. "Ooh wait, I forgot my hair is platinum and red, not black."

"You know you keep jumping to conclusions.." Crossbow started.

"Oh shut up buddy," Rogue snarled. "If it weren't for the stupidity of the men at this table we wouldn't be here. We'd be at home, where we wanted to be. Now if you two will excuse us we're having fun, sans men."

Glancing at Logan, Crossbow shrugged, "Should we?"

"We're gonna have to do it something. They aren't about to listen to reason."

"Come on Heatwave, lets get outta here," Rogue rose smoothly along with the other woman. "Have fun boys."

Watching them walk away, Logan grinned at the other man. "You think we should let them get out the door?"

"I think we're gonna have to let 'em. I'm fully prepared to kiss ass, just not in front of this big a crowd," Crossbow replied rising to his feet and following the departing women.

Shaking her head furiously Rogue paced as Heatwave looked for the keys. Standing out in the parking lot wasn't a good thing; they needed to get as far as possible from the men in their lives. Cursing fate and the fact that Heatwave had lost her keys she glared at the other woman as Crossbow and Logan stepped up to them. "You should have just put them in your pocket," she hissed as Logan grabbed her arm and turned her toward the truck.

"This will go a lot easier if you just get in," Logan promised as he opened the truck door and glared at Rogue who glared back.

With a haughty sniff she climbed into the truck and let him close the door. Glancing toward the jeep she sighed, it looked like Heatwave wasn't having an easy time either if the fact that Crossbow had her pinned to the side of the jeep was any indication.

Keeping her mouth shut for a few minutes, Rogue sat up straight and glanced around. "Where are we going? This isn't the way to the mansion."

"No, we're gonna have a little talk. And the entire mansion doesn't need to hear it."

"Oh, by that I take it you're gonna yell at me and I'm supposed to listen?" Rogue asked softly, sweetly. "You know Logan you don't have to do this. You can leave any old time you want; it's not like I'm making you stay in one spot this long."

"Shut up Marie," Logan's low growl only made her mad.

"Shut up Marie, shut up Marie," she mocked. "What I'm not allowed to give you back the responsibility for your decisions? I'm not the one who flat out refuses to think of you as something other than a sibling. I'm not the one who fucks everyone and everything rather than take what you're offering!"

"What the hell does that mean?" Logan demanded angrily his gaze darting to her face.

"What do you think it means? Do you think I'm so stupid as to not know that you're sleeping with anyone and anything when you're out on your nightly little jaunts into the city. I mean let's be honest here, if I were Jean you'd have me flat on my back before I even finished asking if you wanted sex."

"That's bullshit."

"Oh really? I don't think so Logan, you've got this all mapped out, all figured out and I'm sick of it. I'm tired of being something you pity. I love you Logan, as in white picket fences, babies, bills, and a future, but you don't love me that way so lets be honest here. I do NOT need, nor want anymore family. I've got an entire mansion full of family, friends even; I want someone who's going to be there for me when I want to talk, when I want to experience the highs and lows of this life. You will never be that," Rogue shook her head quickly. "You don't give two shits about anyone or anything and I've learned to accept that, I have. But accepting it does not mean I have to tolerate it. Now let me out of this fuckin' hunk of junk."

"So you've got it all figured out huh? Got everything worked out in your little head," Logan growled. "Wrong."

"I'm not listening Logan," Rogue sighed and turned to the window, watching the lights pass her by and struggled not to cry. "I've no interest in anything that you say or do anymore. Let's just call it a draw and leave it at that."

"No. Did it ever occur to you that I want to be where I am? That I want to be with you.."

"Oh fuck this shit. Stop the fuckin' truck Logan! Just forget it; I know you care about me. That isn't the point. The point is that you don't LOVE me! I'm just another body to you, someone you saved but.." she squeaked in alarm when the truck swerved dangerously and came to a rocking halt on the shoulder of the road.

"Stop being so selfish Marie," Logan snarled reaching out and dragging her across the seat to sit rather awkwardly on the console of the truck. "Because you're little wounded act isn't going to work."

"Let me go."

"No, I can't," Logan shot back. "Because I'm not prepared to do that."

"You don't have a say in the matter," Rogue stated wrenching free and scrambling for the door. She struggled as he grabbed her and pulled her back into his lap. "Let me go."

"I can't," Logan replied softly, his hands holding her steady against his body. "I tried that Rogue, I've tried letting you go, cutting that tie between us and it doesn't work."

"Try harder," she snapped the tears she'd been struggling with falling silently even as she started pounding on his chest. "Try a lot harder!"

Moving his hand up he pushed her face into his throat, and held her while she sobbed, "I'm sorry Marie, I'm so sorry."

Sobbing Marie shook her head, she didn't want his sympathy, she wanted his heart and he would never give it to her. "Don't.."

"I need you Marie, need to know you're there," Logan admitted softly his gaze fixed on the road. "I need to be able to see you, talk to you, touch you no matter what but I can't be what you want me to be Marie, it's not who I am."

"You think I don't know that? You think I'm so stupid as not to know that you don't want me?"

"I can't give you just bits and pieces Marie," Logan sighed. "Because if I took what you're offering I couldn't let you go. Once you were mine, body and soul, there wouldn't be any way out for you. I couldn't let you go."

"Always lookin' out for me huh Logan?" sarcasm dripped from her words. "Well I'm a big girl now; I don't need you to protect me."

"Think about this Marie, can you honestly sit there and tell me that you'd be happy with me? A man who's more metal than flesh, without a past, without any of those things that Scooter has, or anyone of the other boys at the mansion? You take me you get an untamed monster."

"No," Rogue shook her head fiercely. "I take you I get Logan, the man who knows me inside and out. Who understands what it means to be an outsider even with those who we should be a part of; I get the man willing to let me in!"

"You are in Marie, you've got me already but there's more to life than just the heat of desire.."

"I know that. I've died twice already and you brought me back, you
gave me a part of you that nobody has ever had," Rogue sobbed, "Why can't I have the rest of you?"

"Marie, please. You're addictive; being with you would be like offering an addict another shot of his favorite drug. Sooner or later someone would get hurt."

"Life is about pain Logan; you gotta take the good with the bad. I know the risks, I know what would happen if we were together. You don't share Logan; you've never shared anything with anyone but me. I'm not asking for the moon, I'm just asking for you."

"There wouldn't be any going back," Logan cautioned.

"I don't want to go back; I don't want to have nothing again. I can face anything as long as it's with you," she said softly staring at him seriously. "Believe me Logan."

With a sigh he dropped his head forward, resting it against hers and smiled slightly, "Have I told you lately that I love you?"

"Not lately," Rogue smiled. "But it's nice to know."

"I'm a bit rusty.."

"Baby, you're a little more than a bit rusty at it," she whispered. "But that just means we'll have to practice it a lot."

Laughing softly, Logan pulled her closer, pushing the seat back even as she moved to straddle his waist, her arms wrapped around his neck. "So you want to go back to the mansion or to this little cabin I found?"

"The cabin," Rogue smiled. "As long as you're gonna be there."

"Oh yeah, you ain't getting rid of me now!" Logan laughed softly, "You're stuck with me."

Snuggling into him even as he moved the seat, getting ready to pull out into traffic she smiled to herself, she could handle having Logan forever. Yep, that was something she could definitely handle.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=588