Slaughterhouse by Shadowlady
Summary: When the team picks up a lab escape – they get a taste of military programming at its best.

Categories: AU Characters: None
Genres: Action
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 7406 Read: 2461 Published: 11/07/2006 Updated: 11/07/2006

1. Chapter 1 by Shadowlady

Chapter 1 by Shadowlady
"Are you sure this is it?" Storm asked as they stood staring at a rather dilapidated building and an overgrown tangle of weeds and trees. The only signs of life were the flutter of wings as a bird took to the air, soaring away from them.

"This is where the Professor said she was," Scott replied firmly, formally. It was rare that the Professor sent the entire team out on a pick-up but this was a special case. Some sort of super mutant or something that he felt needed to be picked up before the army got their hands on him or her.

"Around back," Logan growled softly his head tilted slightly. "Sounds like trouble."

Hurrying around the corner of the building, everyone came to a dead halt. In a competition of five to one, a young woman stood staring at the opponents staring back at her. Every muscle in her body was tensed, ready for a fight and the look in her eyes was as cold as ice.

Jean winced when one of the men dressed in military fatigues took a swing, connecting with the woman's face only to find himself lifted off the ground and thrown at least twenty feet before crashing head first into a large spruce.

"I ain't going back," the low growl echoed through the still air and Logan glanced at Scott who sighed.

"We didn't need this," Scott muttered and raised his hand to his visor, dispatching two of the guards and drawing the girl's attention.

Swinging her head around, the girl snarled low in her throat at them, one hand reaching out to grab the throat of the last remaining soldier fool enough to come with arm's reach. The sickening crunch vibrated on the slight breeze as she dropped him and turned to fully face the small group moving toward her.

A quick assessing glance revealed two women, two men and the strong but distinct odor of adamantium. Frowning slightly Slaughterhouse focused on it, searching it out until she stopped at the familiar looking chain hanging around a neck.

"Lab rat," she muttered under her breath, her skin itching to release the blades she had. She wasn't going to that lab again, she wasn't going back to be used and abused anymore. For the first time in her life she was free of the soldiers, of the uniforms and medical procedures, she was just free.

"We're here to help you," Scott started his hand never leaving his visor switch. "We don't want trouble."


"Yeah, I've heard that before," Slaughterhouse ground out, walking toward them, the blades on one forearm sliding out. A quick swipe and they'd be dead, out of her way and she could move on. Suddenly she froze, her head cocked at an angle as the faint but familiar sound of a military vehicle reached her sensitive hearing. "Your little friends are going to be joining you soon. Tell `em if they want me they're gonna have to do better than this!" she snarled and whirled, taking off a dead run to disappear into the trees.

"Fuck!" Logan ground out. "Everyone get out of here."

"Why?"

"Army," Logan said sharply and took off after their target. The kid was terrified, that much he knew, and he didn't need his sense of smell, or his advanced hearing to know it either! The look in her eyes as she'd realized that there was a vehicle coming was enough to tell him that.

Racing through the brush he circled, coming around to catch her
easily, knocking both of them off their feet in the process. Growling he blinked when she hit him, his body registering the pain from the blow even as his instinct kicked in and his claws slid out to rest on either side of her neck.

"We came to talk," Logan panted slightly.

"Get off of me!" the girl struggled, she didn't want to use her mutations, didn't want to show what she was truly capable of.

"You gonna listen?" Logan demanded. "Cause we're the good guys."

"Ha," with a shake of her head, the girl glared at him. "Look breeder I ain't a mark so get off me!"

Frowning Logan rose and pulled her to her feet, shoving her in front of him as he headed back for the Blackbird. A mental message from Jean revealed everyone was in full retreat and he hurried his step a little, his hand heavy on the back of the girl's neck.

The minute they were on the plane he shoved the girl into a seat, buckled her in and took his seat without once glancing at her face. Sitting back as the plane took off he sighed, he just wanted to get home, kick back, have a beer, and watch the game with Marie! That was his plan for the day, for the remainder of the weekend actually. Spend some time with Marie, and if anyone had a problem with that they'd be dealing with him!


Slaughterhouse sat silently, wondering why she'd let this mutant take her so easily. She was the best, never been beat, never been anywhere near being beat and yet he'd taken her as easily as if she were human.


In the entirety of her memory - which was a rather long drawn out process since her memory was better than photographic - she'd never met anyone who could catch up to her let alone take her down. Not even Goliath the monstrous seven foot mutant that she'd worked with once or twice in her lifetime.

She'd trained all her life with mutants who were programmed to kill, men and machines that were as unrelenting as water. Men and women who could have seriously done injury to any normal person and yet she'd walked away time and again without a mark. Every single time, except this one!

The slight jarring of the plane landing had her glancing around before she sighed softly and retreated further into her mind, further into the memories of every combat she'd been in, every assassination she'd taken part in.

"Come on kid," the rough growl brought her to her feet and she followed his prompts easily, carefully. The minute she was out of the plane she blinked, a young woman with flowing auburn hair and a pair of white streaks framing her face stood there looking at the man behind her with a look on her face Slaughterhouse had never seen.

"Hey, I see you were successful," the girl said with a lilting, soothing southern accent, her arms crossed over her chest, and her weight resting on one jean clad hip, the other foot swinging on her heel restlessly as she waited.

"Yeah," the rough voice warmed a little and Slaughterhouse turned her head slightly to glance at him. Perhaps they were involved, after all they were breeders. "Where's Chuck?"

"Tracking a movement," the girl said as the burly guy brushed past Slaughterhouse to pull her into a warm hug. "Seems he was concerned or something so he said he was going to track the movements."

"Sure hope he wasn't talkin' bout us."

"Logan must you act like that?" the red haired woman's voice held barely controlled emotion, like she felt the need to claim him.

"Shut up Jean," Logan ground out as he pulled Rogue into step with him.

A quick glance between them revealed a one sided attraction, one that had no chance of going any further than the woman's mind.

"Professor Xavier has a rule about students and teachers," the woman drawled carefully, her face a mask of tolerant indifference.

"Good thing I ain't a teacher then ain't it?" Logan drawled and glanced at the young woman they'd brought back. "Come on, you can meet the head boss around here. You hungry?"


"No." Slaughterhouse replied falling into step with the pair and heading through the doors. The sound of keys being punched triggered her memory and she cracked her neck softly as she listened to the code, before following them into the elevator.

"So how are you doing?" the girl asked softly, her arm still around Logan's waist.

"All systems are fully functional," Slaughterhouse replied.

"Huh?" Rogue glanced at Logan who shrugged and smiled at her slightly.

"Chuck's probably gonna wanna ask you some questions. Just be honest and it won't be that painful," Logan stated quietly as he hugged Rogue a little tighter. They were best friends, and more often than not joined at the hip when he was at the mansion - a side effect of their history he was sure, but a state that he liked, that he actually craved.

"Acknowledged."

Walking down the hall, Slaughterhouse noted the easy way the pair communicated with looks, with touches and wondered about it. Filing all the information away for contemplation later she paused before a door before going inside after a kind masculine voice bid them all enter.

Spotting the red haired woman, the man with sunglasses and the white haired woman from before, she glanced around and noted a man sitting in a wheelchair watching her. With a brief nod she snapped to attention before his desk, waiting, wondering. This wasn't like the usual labs they sent her to, nobody had touched her at all since she'd gotten off the plane!

"Good morning. Are you feeling alright?"

"All systems are fully functional sir," Slaughterhouse replied with programmed perfection. She had no intention of giving more than she needed to.

Charles raised an eyebrow at that then frowned slightly when he realized that Rogue had come into the room and was standing next to Logan. With a slight shake of his head he sighed, he would need to talk to those two sooner or later.

Jerking suddenly Slaughterhouse froze her head tilted to better enable her hearing to pick up on the sound that had caught her attention, "Someone's here."

"What?" Charles blinked, obviously startled at the suddenness of the action and declaration.

"I believe it's a Lexus, two no three occupants. Just cleared the gates.."

"How do you know that?" Scott asked stunned to his core at the woman's words.

"I can hear them. Can't you?"

"I can," Logan grunted softly. "Or rather I can hear the car, the voices.."


"I hear heartbeats. One's accelerated trouble?"

"No," Charles sighed. "Just one of the students excited about her shopping trip."

"Ooh Kitty and Jubes went with Peter to the mall," Rogue groaned and glanced at Logan. "I'll see you later then?"

"Course," Logan grinned at her easily giving her a squeeze before releasing her. "Grab me a beer on your way out would you?"

"Sure thing," Rogue smiled and left the room quietly.

"Please have a seat Miss..?"

"Slaughterhouse, 576 36 987."

"You have another name?"

"Another name?"

"Yes, one that doesn't require numbers," Charles replied softly, easily his eyes revealing his distress. Obviously she had been in that lab a lot longer than he'd first thought.

"What do you wish to call me?" Slaughterhouse asked. Every man who'd ever touched her had different names for her, some were okay others she'd just as soon forget but knew it was impossible. "I can give you a list of previous names used by others.."

"A list?" Storm asked stunned at the military precision in the girl.

"Of course," Slaughter house replied without shifting her stance. "Which would you prefer sir?"

"How about you pick one?"

"Pick one?" Slaughterhouse sighed and frowned, running through the list in her head, searching for one that was pleasant enough she could tolerate it for a bit. "The most common name used has been Darling," she shrugged indifferently. "If that is what you wish to call me.."

Charles sighed and leaned back, this was going to be a long debriefing. "How long have you been in that lab Slaughterhouse?"

"One thousand, four hundred, sixty one days from arrival to departure."

"That equates to.." Jean started.


"Four years to the day," Charles replied as the girl shifted, reaching up to scratch at her throat. "You need something to drink?" he asked as she shook her head.

"No sir," Slaughterhouse traced the surface of her skin, the itch telling her that her suppression implant was about to fail. Finding it she glanced at the desk top and frowned before picking up the small silver letter opener and turning it in her hand, weighing it, measuring it before she raised it to her throat and sunk it in, dragging it back three or four centimeters before tossing it back onto the desk.

Everyone winced as she used the tool to cut a small incision in her neck and reached in to pull out a chip before turning and standing before the desk at attention again. The chip still within one hand.

"Here you are Logan," Rogue said opening the door and handing him the beer with a small smile, her expression unreadable as she studied him before closing the door and hurrying down the hallway. "Enjoy."

"Thanks kid," Logan said taking a pull of the beer and watching the girl. "How'd you do that?"

"What?"

"You didn't even flinch when you sunk that in.."

"Pressure point. You push at the right spot and you don't feel anything - localized numbness, " she shrugged, "You push on the right spot anything can happen. Including having my blades come out. It's all hot wired to the nervous system."

"Blades?" Charles asked and Logan shook his head.

*Don't ask Chuck, lets just get this over with shall we?*

"Moving on. Do you remember anything before the labs?"

"What do you mean? Before the labs?"

"When you weren't under military control," Charles said softly watching her carefully.

Slaughterhouse shrugged. "I was born in a lab - well in a way. There is no before the labs."

"How old are you?" Charles asked next after a moment's shocked pause, "In years please."

"Um," Slaughterhouse paused considering it. Her memories went back a very long time, perhaps longer than she'd been active. "I'm not sure sir. My memory goes back pretty close to actual conception so I'm not comfortable giving you an answer that isn't accurate."

"Oh boy," Scott said sinking into a chair and rubbing his head. This was going to be a long, long day!


Three hours later, Logan felt ready to scream, or gut something - mainly the pricks in the labs, Scott looked only slightly less inclined for bloodshed, and both Jean and Storm looked on the verge of tears. A glance revealed that Charles merely looked stunned.

"Slaughterhouse you do realize that you are not in a lab any longer?" Charles asked softly for the third time. "You are free to come and go as you do so choose."

"I was free to do that back at the cabin. Had the army not shown up I would still be there. All I have done is exchange one prison for another!"

"Look kid, this ain't getting us anywhere.."

"Why do you smell of adamantium?" Slaughterhouse whirled to face him. "It has been bothering me since I sensed you back at the cabin. You smell of it and yet it is not liquid."

"It was surgically grafted to my skeleton," Logan ground out. "And adamantium doesn't stay liquefied. It's a metal."

"That is true. But it can be incorrect," Slaughterhouse shrugged. "I have a fairly good knowledge of the substance, it does so stay liquified."

"Maybe at the right temperature.." Logan sighed, raking a hand through his hair. "I ain't gonna sit here and talk about it. I'm gonna go watch the game Chuck, you need me send for me. Otherwise, I'm gonna go spend some time with my girl."

"She is your offspring then?" Slaughterhouse asked.

"No," Logan snarled with a glare at her.

"Mate then?"

"Oh for.." Logan jerked the door open and stalked out of the room without answering.

"Well Logan's gone for the remainder of the day," Jean sighed softly.

"It is important that he be with you at all times?" Slaughterhouse asked quickly turning to study the red haired woman easily, her face devoid of emotion.

"Uh.."

"Is that why your heart rate increases, palms get sweaty.."

"No," Jean smiled weakly and glanced at Scott. "They get that way for Scott here, he's my husband."

"Really? Cause I don't.."

"Really!" Jean all but snapped and shook her head. Another mutant with supersensitive hearing was not a good thing.

"Perhaps we could get back to the topic of conversation?" Scott demanded glancing at his wife out of the corner of his eye; he knew the new kid was telling the truth. That there was no other reason other than the physical attraction Jean felt for Logan. Truth be told he knew the other man would never act on it; he was too intent on keeping Rogue close and unscathed for him to worry about Jean. No, the only one to be concerned about was Jean herself, and so far she hadn't acted on anything.

"How about we allow Slaughterhouse to settle in, perhaps she could select a different name to go by while she's here," Charles suggested before breaking up the debriefing with a comment about getting together later to talk again.

With a sharp nod, Slaughterhouse shifted falling into step behind Storm who headed for the girl's dormitory.



"Hey who's that?" Peter asked glancing at the young woman following Storm. Long dark hair pulled back from a delicate face that revealed nothing, and yet saw everything, drab green camouflage clothing hugged her body, and heavy, laced up boots covered her feet. She paused at the doorway, scanning the room before following Storm out of sight, her pale eyes lighting on Peter and sending a chill through him for a split second before she was gone.

"That would be Slaughterhouse," Logan grunted as he watched the game. "She's new and a little unusual."

"How do you mean?" Rogue asked softly from where she sat curled up next to Logan on the sofa.

"She's a lab baby," Logan muttered darkly. "Born and bred inside a lab."

"Oh!" Rogue looked horrified as she watched the young woman following Storm toward the dorm. "You think she's gonna recover from it?"

"I don't know," Logan glanced at Rogue then at the open doorway. "Time will tell I suppose."

"I hope so," Peter said softly. "Nobody should have to endure that.."

"No argument from me," Logan said then swore. "That was icing you jackass! Fucker must be blind."


Peter smiled at Rogue who smiled back and turned her attention back to the hockey game. Everyone but a few brave souls had found another place to be when Logan come in saying it was time for the hockey game. Something that was a common occurrence, you just stayed out of his way while it was on - that is if you didn't want to have to deal with adamantium in your face or even worse - Rogue getting into it.



Watching Slaughterhouse struggle to fit in, Logan wondered just what she was used to. She ate with everyone, but refused to go to school- instead she'd pick up a text book read through it and that was the end of the matter. Her interaction with the other students was limited to a few hours in the evening, the rest of the time she wandered around like she was lost.

The only ones she seemed even remotely interested in getting to know was Rogue and Peter but Logan had a hard time with the mechanics of their friendship. It wasn't like Slaughterhouse was overly active in seeking either of them out, but she tolerated both of them around her.

The fact that she tolerated Peter was even more stunning when he thought of all she'd gone through in the lab. He didn't doubt that there was bad stuff that had happened, an attractive girl like that would be fair game for the guards, the doctors and he had no doubt she was suffering from the after effects of that as well.

Watching the unusual friendship develop, Logan was sure the others, including the Professor could pick up on the endless curiosity for anything that wasn't carefully regimented. Despite her age, despite being fully grown Slaughterhouse was like a child in many ways and it showed in everything she did. Her childlike responses were evident in the endless questions, the constant thirst for knowledge of things other than military strategy, combat tactics, and medical procedures.

What was the most disturbing for everyone though was the way she took a childish delight in things she'd never seen, never experienced and yet could be so cold and indifferent in the face of a confrontation - even when it wasn't really her own.

"So what is this again?" Slaughterhouse asked sucking on the ice cream coated spoon and watching Rogue.

"Ice cream. You've never had it before?"

"No, it was never stocked in the labs."

"Well that's shitty," Rogue drawled ladling another scoop into Slaughterhouse's bowl. "So you pick out a name yet? One that isn't so uh bloody?"

"Whatever you wish to refer to me as will suffice."


"No it will not!" Rogue looked ready to stomp her foot, her face flushed, her eyes sparkling with pent up anger. Hanging out with Logan proved to be informative, and she knew the other girl's background with the limited details that Logan assumed she could handle. "You pick out a name for yourself or else."

"Fine, I'll go through my list and pick one."

Rogue visibly cringed, she'd heard about that bloody list of names and most of them were either insults or endearments and Slaughterhouse needed a good, solid, respectable name. One that didn't scare the youngest of the student body. "No, that's okay. I'll help you."

Slaughterhouse shrugged and turned her attention back to her ice cream. Within minutes the bowl was empty and she was rising with Rogue to head for the common room.

"Hey you two, wanna go to the mall?" Jubilee asked hustling into the kitchen and smiling at the pair that turned to her. "There's a new store opening today and they've got some awesome deals.."

"Sure," Rogue smiled easily and tugged on Slaughterhouse's hand. "We'd love to. Just let me grab a different shirt and we'll be ready."

"Sounds cool!" Jubilee said as she watched Rogue hurry from the room, leaving Slaughterhouse standing patiently where she'd been. "So you like got any money?"

"No," Slaughterhouse shrugged. "I do not plan on making any purchases so it will not be necessary.."

"Come on," Jubilee said grabbing her arm and heading for the Professor's office. "We'll see if we can't get you twenty bucks okay? I mean you kinda need money, what if you want some junk food or a coke? You can't take `em without paying for them. It's stealing."

"Stealing?" Slaughterhouse frowned; the word was one she wasn't familiar with at all. "What the hell is that?"

"Um well it's when you take something that belongs to another person or a business that doesn't belong to you."

"I thought that was borrowing?"

"Only in Logan's vocabulary," Jubilee said as she knocked once on the door before opening it and poking her head inside. "Hey Professor, got a second?"

"Of course," Charles said with a patient smile even as he reached for his desk drawer, "Here you are Slaughterhouse, enjoy the field trip."


"We are not going to a field. We are going to a mall," Slaughterhouse replied taking the money a puzzled look on her face. Turning she walked back out the door, unaware of the stunned looks on both Charles and Jubilee's faces.

"Well have fun." Charles leaned back in his chair and watched the young woman depart with Jubilee, something told him that this would be good for her, allow her to further develop her social skills in a way that would enable her to rejoin the world one day.

"Thanks," Jubilee said as she hurried off closing the door softly behind her.



The mall was crowded with kids just getting out of school and Slaughterhouse was uneasy, moving carefully, her guard up she kept Rogue in sight at all times. Some part of her unsure, some little hint of her humanity showing through as they made their way to the newest store that had opened and she stood a little off to the side watching, every instinct on high alert.

"Relax," Rogue whispered in her ear. "This is supposed to be fun."

"I am relaxed," Slaughterhouse drawled smoothly her gaze darting, assessing every person that stood within three feet of her and Rogue. "I just like to be prepared."

"Is that what you call it?" Rogue smiled at her and tilted her head a little, "Well you're acting like Logan all tense and on edge. Relax nobody's gonna get hurt or anything."

"They could," Slaughterhouse replied seriously.

"It's a mall.. What could possibly happen?"

"I've killed in places busier than this," Slaughterhouse replied firmly. "And with a lot more security. This is an easy place if you wanna kill or hurt."

"Okay, look quit thinking like a soldier. You aren't in the lab anymore girl, relax. Enjoy your afternoon away from the mansion."

"Hey look!" Jubilee pointed to a leather coat hanging by the window. "I bet that would look hot on you Rogue."

Slaughterhouse watched the two girls walk off, her stomach twisting in knots. She would rather be back at the mansion where she felt a little more confident, a little more sure of herself. At least socially, her training, her skills would enable her to blend in but she would never really be part of the crowd. Instead she would constantly be on alert, constantly on edge and that worried her for some reason.


"Come on," Jubilee giggled as they started for the food court. "I'm starving."


"Dinner will be.."

"I want a burger and fries Slaughterhouse, not steak and potatoes. That's something Logan would crave," Jubilee shuddered and yelped when Rogue smacked her on the arm hard. "Hey! What was that for?"

"You know what for," Rogue growled. "Leave him alone."

"Oh for.." Jubilee shook her head and glanced at Slaughterhouse, "You gonna hit me to?"

"I'd break your neck if I did," she shot back and settled at a table with the other girls.

Laughing with the others at something that Jubilee had said Slaughterhouse watched Kitty hurrying off to go to the ladies room. Turning back to the conversation she raised an eyebrow when Jubilee leaned forward conspiratorially.

"You know she's got a crush on Scott right?"

"Yeah so?" Rogue asked softly, leaning forward carefully.

"She um caught him with his pants down," Jubilee whispered with a smirk. "Literally. See she was cleaning up in the change room as part of her punishment for something and Scott was in there taking a shower! Honest to God, I heard about it for three days!"

"So? What's the big deal about her seeing his genitalia?" Slaughterhouse asked softly. "Hasn't she.?"

"No," Jubilee laughed softly as everyone else giggled. "She's been saving it for someone that gives a shit. Personally I think she's waiting for Scott to realize Jean's a lost cause and nail her!"

"Ooh," Rogue groaned. "Please don't talk like that. Jean's been chasing Logan for so long I'm getting tired just thinking of her and her antics."

"Yeah well Dr. Grey isn't the most careful of predators."

"She only wants Logan cause she knows it would piss Scott off."

"Puhleeze, Logan's too good for her. So is Scott, frankly I think Scott should dump her ass and take up with Kitty. At least he'd stand a better chance of getting laid more often," Rogue drawled coldly. "I mean she spends all her time trying to get into Logan's pants.."

"And they are nice!" Jubilee interrupted as the others giggled and Rogue grinned at her.

"You can look all you want.." Rogue stated only to freeze as a scream tore through the air and everyone whirled to see Kitty struggling against a rather opposing figure. "Fuck who is that?"


"Come on!" Jubilee said hurrying toward her friend with the other girls in hot pursuit.

Tilting her head, Slaughterhouse clenched her fists as a wave of fury hit her. Pushing aside the heat of anger, she fell back on the cold, merciless part of her that had earned her the name she wore so well.

Brushing past Jubilee she narrowed her eyes and scanned the room, a cold, slightly crooked smirk crossing her lips as she recognized a very familiar face in the crowd. Forming a long thin blade she gave it a well aimed toss, turning away from it even as it connected, sinking into the warm flesh of the woman standing off to the side in the shadows watching. One down, one to go.

Focusing on Reaper, Slaughterhouse edged past Jubilee and Rogue jerking her coat off in the process to reveal bare arms lightly tanned by her exposure to the sun. "Take it," she snarled low in her throat as she shoved it into Rogue's hands and stepped past them, ignoring their scared faces and the incredulous look on Rogue's face as she took the leather coat.

Moving quickly, as silently as she'd been trained to she listened carefully to Kitty's familiar heart beat, hearing the erratic thumping, knowing she was absolutely terrified. She noticed how everyone had backed away from the pair and sighed, less likelihood of getting a bystander. A muscle spasm brought out the blades on her forearms and she clenched her fists, extending her claws with cold enthusiasm.

"Why don't you pick on someone your own size asshole?" Slaughterhouse growled, going down on a knee and swiping at the lower calf muscles, intending to hamstring the son of a bitch. Using the momentum of her body's weight and the motion of her swing she sliced into the warm flesh of the man and rose gracefully, effortlessly into a fighting stance. She hardly even blinked at the blood that splattered on her white t-shirt; instead she grabbed Kitty by the arm and jerked, pulling her away from her enemy with ease. A careful push sent Kitty sprawling into the crowd and she faced Reaper.

"Well if it ain't the little deserter!" Reaper ground out as he eyed the girl he'd taken a few times with cold disdain. When the team had learned of her defection, he'd been so enraged that he'd damaged his cell beyond repair but seeing her now, gave him a taste for revenge. A taste for blood that he wallowed in.

Circling slowly, staying focused on what she was doing; Slaughterhouse cocked an eyebrow and smirked. "What's the matter? Ain't got anyone you can bully into warming your bed?"

"I'm gonna do you, then I'm gonna go fuck her up royally," Reaper ground out taking a swing and narrowly missing the young woman.

"Ooh, such talk.." Slaughterhouse smiled a sickening twist of her lips that revealed no joy, only a deep loathing for the man in front of her. "You can't beat me Reaper, you know that."

"I don't have to."


"Are you waiting for Chamaeleon? She's out of this," Slaughterhouse drawled ducking a punch and using her right leg to kick Reaper's legs out from under him. She didn't expect him to stay down, hell she didn't expect anything but to take a pounding before she killed him but she wasn't going to go easy. The minute his heavy body hit the floor she sunk her claws into his ankle and twisted, separating bone, muscle, tendons, and arteries smoothly before jumping back to avoid getting sprayed completely with blood. "You should've stuck to grown men."

"Fuck you," Reaper growled and lunged for her, taking her slim body to the floor and pinning it there before he started punching her. The first two hits connected with her face, breaking the skin and cracking bones but the third he aimed for her chest only to gasp as her claws sliced through his flesh and hit his rib cage.

Flying back with the force of her kick, he gaped at her as she did a back flip into a standing position and eyed him, "Play time's over asshole!" the low snarl had him blinking even as he felt the burning in his chest compete with the searing agony coming from his leg. She hadn't stuck him to kill; instead she'd done it to distract, to get him to think of something other than hitting her.

A well aimed kick had the bones in his chest cracking, and a scorching pain began to fill his body even as he gasped for air. Clutching his chest, he stared at the girl who smiled calmly and raised a hand, a moment later the only thing he saw was darkness as he fell forward. He never felt his body hit the ground, or heard the startled gasps from the crowd as his opponent rose to her feet and whirled to head for the nearest exit.

"Come on!" Rogue grabbed her friend's arm and started for the side exit, they had to get out of here. Had to get back to the mansion. A glance at Slaughterhouse revealed the coldly impersonal gaze of someone who'd done it more than once, and the silvery glow of a familiar metal attached to a cheekbone barely visible beneath the cuts.



Charles glanced up sharply at the slam of car doors, the wave of terror and cold exhilaration had him stuttering to a halt as he glanced sharply at Logan, Jean, and Scott. "Trouble," he muttered even as the door to his office burst open and Rogue stumbled in her gloves soaked with blood her face as white as a sheet.

"Fuck! What happened?" Logan demanded rising before anyone could say anything, "Are you hurt?" Grabbing Rogue's arm he pulled her closer to check her over, his face twisted with fury and concern.

"No, no it's not me!" Rogue gasped as she tugged on his hand. "You gotta talk to Slaughterhouse, she's got a busted face.."

"What happened?"


"Some guy went after Kitty at the mall," Rogue gasped as she tugged on Logan's hand headed for the common room where Jubilee had forced Slaughterhouse to lay down. "Slaughterhouse went up against him.."

"Oh my fucking god!" Logan gaped at the young woman who was obviously unhappy about having to lie on the couch, her clothes were soaked with blood, her skin red with it, and her face looked like someone had taken a thousand knives to it. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," Slaughterhouse said slapping at Jubilee's hand as she tried to hold an ice pack to it. "I've had worse.."

"Not on our watch," Logan growled. "Where's the prick?"

"Dead. Both of `em," Slaughterhouse drawled. "You think I'm gonna let someone beat me?"

"We need to get you to the medlab." Scott said obviously concerned as he stared at the bloody, battered features before him.

"Check on Kitty, she's in worse shape than I am," Slaughterhouse drawled waving a hand at the girl who was still crying softly, leaning on one of the other girls trembling.

"Kitty?" Jean looked at the girl who was pale, shaken, and crying. A large discolored bruise had formed on her throat and another on her upper arm but other than that she appeared to be fine.

"I..I.." Kitty stuttered gulping in air as she tried to stop the tears.

"What were they after?" Scott asked walking over to inspect the bruises on Kitty's body. "There isn't any reason.."

"Oh for fuck sakes, get your head outta your ass and think for a minute buddy!" Slaughterhouse growled. "Reaper wanted a little action; she was the target end of discussion. Would you please get this friggin hunk of ice off my face? It's bloody cold."

"It's to help with the swelling," Jubilee shot back.

"I don't swell, and the wounds will heal on their own!"

Logan glanced at Charles, "High aggression. She's running on adrenaline and nothing else."

"Slaughterhouse we try not to get into these confrontations if we can avoid it!" Charles started.

"There was no avoiding it. They'd have taken one and come for the rest," Slaughterhouse said closing her eyes, focusing on the healing her body needed. "Its what they do."

"But.."


Charles glanced at Jean who looked only slightly less disgusted than Slaughterhouse and shook his head a moment before he glanced at the young woman who had slid into a quiet state. "Slaughterhouse perhaps.."

"I'm fine," came the soft reply, a familiar voice drifting in the room. "I just need to rest for a few minutes."

"Are you hurt anywhere else?"

"No, it's not my blood. It's his."

"To get that much blood on you you'd have to hit an artery.."

"I hit two and opened his chest," she replied softly, already sinking into the regenerative sleep her body craved. "I had no choice."

"No, no of course you didn't," Charles said even as he sensed her sliding into a deep sleep, her mind at ease. "Rogue, Jubilee how'd she manage to hit an artery? Her mutation.."

"She has claws!" Rogue said softly, "Like Logan's only longer and more of `em."

"Yeah, on her forearms.." Logan started.

"And in her hands. She didn't waste any energy, there was no unnecessary movements. Nothing but a quick, relatively clean kill," Rogue whispered, "It was almost like she knew what she was doing - like she'd done it more than once. Honestly, she could put Logan's fighting skills to shame."

"Well we'll discuss it further with her when she's awake. I'd like to know more."

"We all would."

With a glance at Rogue, Logan followed Charles back toward his office. They would discuss this a little more, try to figure it out then they'd get on to the more mundane things. The lesson plans for the next few weeks had to be worked out and then he could spend the afternoon with her!


Two months later Slaughterhouse had refused to leave the mansion again, claiming she didn't want to get anyone in trouble or hurt anyone again. So that meant she spent her time working on whatever she wanted to do - usually driving Logan insane with her questions. When she wasn't working on Logan's nerves she was spending her time with Rogue and Peter.


"Well she seems to be adapting pretty well. All things considered," Jean said softly watching Slaughterhouse interacting with Rogue in the late afternoon sunshine. "I mean she hasn't gone into town again, and it seems to help alleviate her aggression."

"Fuck Jeannie, you're lookin' at it wrong," Logan grunted as he shifted, cracking his neck easily before reaching for a beer. "Her aggression is hot wired into her. She can't help it; she was made to be destructive."

"She's been here for several months now Logan, one would think she'd have adapted to some extent."

"I don't see her killing anybody. I think she's adapting just fine."

"Yeah well you would. You two are cut from the same bolt of fabric," Jean snarled eying him. Despite all her attempts to get him to notice her Logan remained impervious to her charms and it was grating on her nerves.

"I'll take that as a compliment. Better go find your husband, see what he's up to Jean - I'd hate to keep you from your work," Logan drawled glancing at her with cold indifference. He would do whatever he had ta to protect Rogue from every threat, even the one that Dr Jean Grey presented. She threatened Rogue's safety, her heart because she didn't understand that Rogue owned Logan body and soul. Watching the tall redhead walk away Logan shook his head; damn fool just didn't know when to give it up.

"Hey Logan," the familiar baritone of Colossus had Logan glancing at him as he settled onto a chair next to him. "Beer?"

"You trying to bribe me or something?" Logan shot back taking the opened bottle of chilled beer.

"Naw, just trying to make my company less of a strain on your patience."

Logan chuckled smoothly, "How's it going kid?"

"Good, be better if Amanda would lay off."

"What's the matter with her?" Logan asked trying to think of who that would be.

"She's got it in her head that I'm in love with her," Peter shuddered and glanced at the pair of girls out in the sunshine. "I'm not, not even close. I don't even like her really."

"Which one is she?" Logan asked giving up on trying to place the name to a face.

"Tall, lots of dark wavy hair can make plants grow really fast. Goes by the code name Fauna," Peter explained easily his gaze firm on the dark haired girl smiling at something Rogue was saying. In the two months since the incident at the mall, Peter had watched Slaughterhouse slowly begin to build a life that didn't include violence. She walked away from confrontations; avoided getting into the middle of fights, but deep down he knew she was still the same girl he'd first met.


Smiling at the way she shook her head and rose smoothly to her feet when a couple of the boys approached them, he watched her easy, loose hipped stroll as she headed for the house. A slight smile graced her face, her hair free from its usual tied back knot, and the sun glinting off the familiar shiny pieces of metal around her neck.

"I'd say you're head over heels for someone other than Amanda," Logan spoke softly and nodded at the young woman walking around the edge of the building, passing by the window before stepping into the back door and heading for the fridge.

"Hey Sam," Peter spoke easily, familiarly.

"Hi Peter," Slaughterhouse opened the fridge and stuck her head inside to glance around. "Did you see the chocolate milk?"

"Top shelf, behind the jar of pickles."

"Oh right, I see it." Pulling it out she poured herself a glass and glanced at the pair of men behind her. "You want?"

"Sure," Peter said eying the substance with a mild look of displeasure. He found it too sweet, too chocolaty but he'd drink it if she poured it. He flushed at Logan's knowing look but didn't back down as he took the offered glass and lifted it to his mouth. "So what are you planning on doing this afternoon Sam?"

"Sam?" Logan glanced at Slaughterhouse. "That the name you picked out?"

"No," Slaughterhouse shrugged and pointed at Peter, "Peter did. He said I needed a name that wasn't reminiscent of a bordello."

Logan nodded and glanced at Peter, "Where's Rogue?"

"She said something about getting a book from her room," Slaughterhouse replied easily, "I think though she just wanted a few minutes to herself. Everyone seems to think she wants to be up to her eyes in people lately."

"Why is that?" Peter asked glancing at Logan, "You two aren't uh..."

"No," Logan growled, they weren't doing anything with each other that anyone could have a problem with - not that both of them didn't want to do more it was just that they'd decided to wait, at least until she was eighteen which was another six days!

"Why?" Sam asked quietly. "I mean both of you want to be doing more than just holding hands. Why wait?"


"Cause we decided to." Logan ground out. "And our sex life is our own. Jesus you two, it ain't like it's your business."

"Sorry Logan," Peter smiled at Sam who smiled slightly and set her dirty glass in the sink before wiping her hands on her jean clad hips. "Where you off to? You want some company?"

"Sure, just gonna go watch a little television," Sam replied softly a steady glance at the tall man knowing and yet innocent - a startling combination in the body of a proficient killer.

Watching them walk out of the room, Logan took another swig of his beer and shook his head. Given time, Sam would come around and be like any other young woman her age - and Peter would be there for her every step of the way. Much like he and Rogue would be there for each other through thick and thin.

End.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=586