Perceptions: Logan by ataventure
Summary: Even in death, one may find beauty.
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper, UST
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 561 Read: 943 Published: 01/17/2007 Updated: 01/17/2007

1. Chapter 1 by ataventure

Chapter 1 by ataventure
Author's Notes:
This fic follows a specific scene in X-1, and is designed to give insight to the thoughts of the character portrayed.
***

She wilted backward, a cascade of brunette waves falling down her back, catching in the wool of her coat. Soft white skin caught the light of the stars, illuminating the violet scarf around her throat. No breath mumbled from her lips. No movement rustled her silent breast. With release, she fell into my outstretched arm, stiff yet limp.

“Cmon, kid.” I muttered, more to myself than to her. Her small form fell back over my forearm, the pool of her mane sweeping over the leather suit. Tenderly, I pulled the strands of brilliant, shocking white from her scalp, examining the effects of my own carelessness.

My eyes drifted to her expressionless face, no longer contorted in fear and pain, but also lacking the spark of joy found so rarely in creatures such as we. The slight pout of her lips and the small slope of her brow swelled with beauty, even in this state of near death. How had our lives come to this? How had I allowed such horror to come to her?

“Cmon,” I whispered again, more resolutely. I searched her face to signs of life, signs of that rough and eager innocence that existed only in her. Still, she lay, unmoving, unshaken. The qualities of life seemed to seep from her as every moment ticked past. The beauty that lurked beneath her eyelids melted away.

With my teeth, I tore at my glove, knowing there was only one thing I could do for her, one thing that I alone could give her. I hesitated, remembering the events that had led us here, the chaos that came with one touch of a young mutant’s flesh. Around us, the world fell into silence, and all that remained was the small figurine in my arms, so strong yet so fragile. She had brought me near death for the first time in my life. And she had brought me near love as well.

Her skin was as soft as the first drift of snow, warm to the touch of my fingertips. The curve of her face fit perfectly into the palm of my hand, as though she were built especially for me. My eyes fell closed, awaiting the sensation of pain and intensity that brought me to the edges of hell. My head drooped with the weight of the impending power that I knew would come crashing down upon me.

Yet no feeling came. I grasped her tightly, forcing more of my will upon her. Tears glistened in my eyes, yet refused to fall and mar her delicate skin. My forehead pressed lightly against her lips, and I imagined the warmth of her kiss, the soothing smell of her desire, and the sweet innocence of her comfort. Her lack of breath betrayed my senses.

I clutched her crown and pulled her lolling face to mine, clutching the girl as a lover might cradle his beloved. A heavy sigh pulled in the fading scents of fright intermingled with the brown sugar that laced her chocolate mane. Thoughts of terror and guilt danced in my skull, thoughts which dared that I might never touch this face again, that I might never find her in my arms. Hands brushed more of her satiny mane away from the pale flesh, rustling her smell anew.

And at last the reaper found his way to me.

***
End.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=518