Tired by Brianna Aisling
Summary: "'I'm tired,' she murmurs, and he tells her she's always tired."
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 325 Read: 1602 Published: 12/29/2003 Updated: 12/29/2003

1. Chapter 1 by Brianna Aisling

Chapter 1 by Brianna Aisling
He doesn't think much of it the first time she tells him. She's lying next to him, curled on her side with the top of her head touching his thigh. She rolls over onto her back and looks up at him.

"I'm tired," she whispers, and he brushes her hair off her forehead and tells her to go to sleep. She closes her eyes, her lips trembling.

He doesn't understand the sadness in her scent.



She collapses in the hanger, her leg finally giving out on her after a long mission. He picks her up, and she rests her head against his shoulder.

"I'm tired," she whispers, and he tells her she can go to sleep soon.

He hates the way her tears smell.



Boys come and go in her life, but he stays, along with the dark circles under her eyes. She sits with him after another loss and lets him hold her.

"I'm tired," she cries, and he tells her he knows.

He's tired too sometimes.



She sleeps when she's not moving, and he finds her in various places around the mansion, her head pillowed on her arms. He wakes her.

"I'm tired," she murmurs, and he tells her she's always tired.

He doesn't tell her that it worries him.



She doesn't say anything to his pleas and even her skin isn't responding to him. She lays across his lap while blood pours from her wounds and he cries.

"I'm tired," she says dreamily, and he tells her she can sleep now.

He tells her she won't be tired any more because he can't think of anything else to say.



He stands in the mansion's front hallway and stares out the open doorway. Jean's the only one there, standing close behind him, her arms folded across her body. She asks why he isn't staying.

"I'm tired," he responds, and there's no one to tell him he can sleep now.

There never will be.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=441