Desire by loveliex
Summary: Jean survived the battle at Alcatraz. The cure failed. Now the Phoenix is after Marie, whom's mutation has yet to be unlocked to its full extent... And how far is Marie willing to go to keep the secrets of her past?


Categories: X3, AU Characters: None
Genres: Action, Dark, Drama, Shipper
Tags: None
Warnings: Not Beta Read
Challenges:
Series: Promise
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 16770 Read: 64590 Published: 08/24/2015 Updated: 03/17/2017

1. Chapter 1: The cure by loveliex

2. Chapter 2: Friends by loveliex

3. Chapter 3: Act like Family by loveliex

4. Chapter 4 Who's Reflection by loveliex

5. Chapter 5: The Beginning by loveliex

6. Chapter 6: What to know by loveliex

7. Chapter 7: Pandora's Box by loveliex

8. Chapter 8: Scheme in Motion by loveliex

9. Chapter 9 Give Nothing Back by loveliex

10. Chapter 10 part 1: Unexpected by loveliex

11. Chapter 10 Part 2: Unyielding Knight by loveliex

12. Chapter 12: Yield! Who are you fighting for? by loveliex

Chapter 1: The cure by loveliex

The battle at Alcatraz was a night to remember. The day the Phoenix moved heaven and earth, and almost wiped out every wretched being on this godforsaken planet, with a wrath that would have made the devil cringe in fear. That day...Mutants fought against humans, mutants against mutants.

And the rest? Well, they just turned a blind eye to the madness that occurred.
Marie, was one of them. Marie. Rogue.

Instead of joining her comrades at the battle of Alcatraz, she, along with a large amount of mutants tormented by their mutations stood in line, hour after hour for the cure. God, I hope I know what I'm doing, She thought as she Assessed all the other men women and children whom had cued along with her.
Rogue's stare became vacant, "I don't understand this world" she murmured as she remembered every time she had touched another person with her deadly skin. She sighed, this cure was her hope, for a normal life, to have the ability to touch without killing...touch.

Pulled back to reality by a sharp shake of her shoulder and a mumble from the tall man behind her, Rogue moved along, only to realize that she was now at the front of the line.
It's ok, just one foot in front of the other, just a little closer. I write my name here? Oh, my age there...

Everything blurred as Rogue numbly trailed behind a too joyful nurse, down a too white hallway and into a too brightly lit room that reeked of clinical products and bleach. Is that blood?  The nurse laid her on a metal slab, and rogue was too disorientated by the blinding lights and chemical smell to recognize the feel of restraints being strapped tight to her wrists and ankles; and too nauseous to feel the Sharpe and ridiculously large needle impale her skin to the hilt. It was only when, the clear liquid of the so-called cure entered her veins did she notice.

No one warned her about the pain. It was excruciating. Rogue's body immediately went into shock, her fingers curled into fists so tight, her nails bit through the material of her gloves and drew blood from the palms of her hands; her toes curled, eyes screwed shut and her teeth clenched, biting through half her tongue in the process.
And the nurse just stood there, a fake smile plastered on her face as the cure took it's time to course through her entire body. It felt like acid, and more and more of it was being pumped into her from a drip. The pamphlet said the treatment took an hour. Rogue tried to shake her head, she wanted out, she wouldn't be able to handle this for an hour; but even that brought more torture. Burning in hell did not compare to this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hanger of the jet was silent. Jeans body lay still on a stretcher, Logan right beside her. He took deep breaths, trying to prevent any show of emotion, though it clearly wasn't working. Storm, Kitty, Bobby...even Peter had tears streaming down their faces, as they all tried to comes to terms with what had happened. Silence, the only sound was light even breaths coming from the supposed to be dead Jean- who turned out to be very much alive, but comatose for a second time; but this time, it wasn't Phoenix, It was Jean. Just Jean.

And Logan's body shook with a mix of rage, sadness and happiness. When Logan had stabbed her, both jean and the Phoenix had gone into shock, and she began to violently convulse in his arms, and before she had lost consciousness one word left her lips, so quite that not even Logan could hear it, over the blood raging in his ears. She had whispered, 'Marie.'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't until seven hours later, did rogue stumble through the school doors. The hallway was dimly lit and the mansion was as silent, rogue coughed out a raspy 'Hello?' as she tried to focus through her disorientated senses and double vision and channelled every ounce of energy she had into balancing on her shaky legs. She wouldn't be able to get up the stairs in this state. Unfortunately, kitty was the only one whom heard her call and came to see who it was. The issue of "Bobby cheated" was still unresolved between the two.

"Rogue? Is that you?" Kitty called. Rogue couldn't reply, but the girl's question was answered when she swayed into the light, barely able to catch her footing. Kitty gasped, "Oh my god! Are you ok-Of course your not ok-look at you!" She was in-fact right. Rogue's normally pale skin was now slick with sweat and three times and more pale...almost yellow. Her eyes were bloodshot with dark red, almost purple rims, and it seemed she had lost two thirds of her weight. The girl was like a walking skeleton.

"We need to get down to the med-lab, hank can-but he's with Jean-I know! Logan can-"
Kitty's rambling was cut off as rogue choked out "No! No-*cough* No one."
Without hesitation, kitty was by her side, arms looped around rouge's waist to support her weight (what was left of it anyway) and began to lead her up the stairs. Kitty dragged rogue up as fast as she could, but stopped at the top, hesitating whether to go to rogue's room or to her own. Kitty looked down at rogue's slumped form and only then did she notice that their skin had been touching for a significant amount of time. In fact, kitty had grabbed her bare hand without realizing. Her breathing hitched as she waited for the effects of the deadly skin, a second passed. Two seconds. Three. Four. Five...

Kitty's eyes watered for the second time that evening. First Jean survives and now rogue is now touchable. She blinked at the sound of rouge's coughing fit and continued to hurry to the safety of her room. If rogue didn't want anyone to know, then for once she would do right by her and keep her mouth shut...she owed rogue that much; and believe it or not, but despite kitty's betrayal and rogue's solid backhand, she cared deeply for her, and silently vowed not to let her down a second time.
Once she had laid rogue carefully on her bed she clumsily ran into the adjoining bathroom to grab all the things a sick person could possibly need.

Chapter 2: Friends by loveliex
Author's Notes:

Thank you so much for the reviews so far, hope you enjoy. :)

Kitty's petite fist smashed against the alarm clock on the bed side table as it read out 6AM. Groaning, she rolled over to go back to sleep only to find a mass of black hair poking out from the duvet. Shocked, she made a quick and clumsy attempt to jump out of the bed, but squealed in surprise as she ended up  tangled on the ground.
It was only when she got another, bashful, peek at the bundle of hair, did she realize that said bundle of hair was in-fact...rogue. "Um, Rogue, are you awake?" All she received was a groan, proving the girl was somewhat responsive.

Panic overwhelmed Kitty as she heard three taps against the door, "Yikes! I totally forgot Bobby was coming to pick me up. Quick get under the covers," and flung the duvet over rogue's curvy form, "Not.A.Sound." She whispered as she neared the door; and as she suspected, came to meet the boy's smiling face as it opened, but before the door could open fully, Kitty jammed it with her foot and blocked Bobby's view with her body.

"Hey, you ready for breakfast? But I'm guessing not considering you're still in your P.Js." He snickered. Kitty blushed, now very conscious of her hair...

"yeah, just give me a few minutes," she said, slamming the door in his face before he could reply.

"OK, so breakfast is now, but I'm guessing you don't want to go down-so I'll bring you something up later," the brunette rushed as she hurried to dress and organize her stuff, "Um, if i can't I'll send Jubes, besides that there's some snacks under the bed and you have my cell. Don't worry, I won't tell the professor, so...BYE." And with that, she was gone.

Rogue rolled over and immediately felt tired again and drifted back to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So what's up with you?" Bobby asked as the two walked down the hallway to the canteen.

"Nothing," She shrugged, "How's Dr Grey holding up?"

"She woke up last night, Logan's been hanging around her all mourning." Bitterness was evident in his voice, "Kind of weird actually..." Kitty hesitantly slid her hand into his, blushing as she did so, "One second she was lying on the slab and next she's literally right behind me!" He shuddered at the memory. Just as he said that, the red headed woman in question passed the couple sending an unnerving smile in their direction before gliding up the stairs.

"Creepy." Kitty laughed, once the woman was no-longer within hearing distance. However, she couldn't dismiss the feeling that something definitely wasn't right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rogue was so deep in sleep, she didn't hear the turn of the door knob, and most certainly didn't feel the shadow blocking the sun's rays shining through the window. One sharp, red fingernail flicked the black locks covering her face. The silhouette cocked it's head in speculation.
The only sound in the room was her light breaths as she slept, face serene besides the slight crease of her brow, which was the only proof her body still ached.

"Soon...You'll remember."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was now the afternoon, and Rogue finally woke to the rustling of a rapper. Dazed, she sat up and peered around the room, recalling the events of the night before, but tensed as her eyes landed on kitty nibbling a packet of crisps as she flicked through a magazine on the floor.

Kitty was completely engrossed until Rogue crawled out of bed and into the bathroom to freshen up. "Oh, hey! Your awake. Didn't want to wake you up. Jubes is bringing up some food now." Rogue nodded her appreciation as she exited the bathroom, but came to a halt as Kitty screeched "Rogue, y-your bangs-your hair, Its black and like-really long!"
"what are u talking about?" Her head was still throbbing too much to concentrate.

Kitty leapt up and dragged her to the full mirror on the opposite wall; and the pair studied her reflection, taking in the minor but significant differences. The jet black hair now down to her waist at uneven lengths, the streaks gone-well that explains the migraine, she thought. Her skin was still sickly pale, but not so bad. In-fact, Rogue could remember this similar appearance to when she was a child.

"You look so much...younger-but older, if that makes sense."

It wasn't until both pairs gazes finally came to rest on their bare hands, linked together. Skin touching skin. No barrier. Rogue couldn't breathe, the turmoil of emotions rippling beneath the surface of her watery gaze, threatened to overwhelm her.

"Why are you helping me? Is this because of-"

"It isn't pity," Kitty interrupted, "I didn't know I'd fall for him, he was my friend and so were you, and I know your angry...but can we...I don't want to lose your friendship. I'm sorry."

Rogue thought about everything kitty had done for her, including being the first to befriend the girl with deadly skin, and realized although deep down, the bitterness would still be there, a black stain. But she could forgive her.

"Rogue?"

Jubes came in with a tray of food, whilst texting on her phone, oblivious to the emotional exchange as Rogue smiled, "OK."

"Hey guys, whipped up a feast! got nachos, popcorn, sweets, soda, chips and leftover's from dinner!" Jubilee announced as she set down the tray of food and laid them out on the rug, then gestured to rogue as she added, "Bye the way Logan's been looking for you, but I told him you hadn't come back yet-oh nice hair-and I suggest you don't go, like, anywhere...Kids are starting to say some real bullshit about how your a traitor and blah."
"Oh yeah! Jubes totally freaked and broke one guys nose. I was too funny" Kitty grinned, reassuring the timid girl.

There was a single knock at the door and the three girls looked at each-other, trying to decide who would answer. Jubilee opened it, "Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Rogue, it's Logan" she muttered, stepping aside for the girl.

Rogue blushed and stepped under his intense gaze as he looked her over. "When did you get back?"

"Last night."

"You did it then," He leaned against the door frame, and even then he towered over her, it was kind of attractive. Rogue crossed her arms and nodded, unable to meet his eyes as hers watered, "you ok?" Logan's voice lowered.

She swallowed as she struggled to keep her emotions in check.
~I'm not your father, I'm your friend~
"I-It hurt. A lot." A tear fell. God did she wish he'd been with her, her heart would have been significantly less heavier.

Gently, he lifted her chin until she had no choice but to meet his gaze."Why didn't you come to me?" And he meant it. If she came to him with a fuckin' splinter he would have dropped everything and hightailed it to hank, just for that. For once in his life he cared...At that he glanced down at the dog tags still nestled in the valley of her breasts. She was his. She knew that right?

"You were busy...Dr Grey was..." Apparently Not.

Before Rogue could even blink, Logan's head dipped until his lips were brushing against the shell of her ear and touched the chain as low as it could go before it disappeared under top, "You ain't Jeanie, Marie. And she ain't the one I gave 'em to. Do you understand Marie?"  His growl sent a shudder down her spine. That's new. A smile crawled its way back on her face, and she blushed the deepest shade of red as her two now best friends dragged her back into the room, with the excuse that it was 'girls night'.

Chapter 3: Act like Family by loveliex
Author's Notes:

Thank you guys for such supportive reviews and sorry this chapter is so late. Updates will become once a week since I'm starting back at college, but don't worry there won't be too many chapters, and no boring fillers!

Again, thank you :)

Today was awkward, for three days Rogue had been avoiding bodies and people, with biased opinions. Kitty and Jubilee had already left twenty minutes ago for breakfast, saying they would save a seat for her. It was time for Rogue to face everyone, everyone as in a mass of teenagers whom thought of her as a traitor and had the ability to inflict a serious amount of verbal abuse.

She had spent a near thirty minutes standing in front of the mirror giving herself and much needed pep-talk, and can you blame her? Before, even with her mutation she was an outcast, treated like a loan shark in a sea of fish, as if she would turn against them at any moment. Funny how the tables had turned...
Even Storm showed dislike towards her, her teacher. There was no way everyone would accept her. But she didn't need everyone, did she? Logan, Kitty, Jubilee...They were enough. In fact they were more than she'd had since she could remember.

Yeah, they were enough.

Finally Rogue yanked the door open and marched out with her new found confidence-leaving the door to close behind her, only to bump into Jean. She stumbled back, startled by the woman's appearance.

"Good morning Rogue, how are you feeling?"  Jean asked in a way too chipper voice, with an equally eerie, cheerful expression.

"Good morning Dr Grey, I'm fine...thank you.  H-how are you? You know, after..." She trailed of as Jean sauntered closer until there was barely space between them, until Rogue pushed herself back against the wall, feeling almost intimidated, and a nervous shiver ran down her spine as the red headed woman's piercing gaze caught her eyes. One perfectly manicured nail trailed down her cheek, digging into her skin almost painfully. "The...process must have been so painful...felt like your body was on fire, didn't it? searing beneath your skin to the point that you wanted to tear it all off..."

Rogue's breathing hitched as a wicked smile appeared on her face, "Would you like to know a secret?" She purred, "I could feel it. When the needle entered your skin, I felt it when I died," Leaning in even closer, "You brought me back Marie." Her last words were whispered and she allowed the moment to linger, before here expression became ice cold and she stepped away, muttering, "Have a nice day," before walking away, heels clicking as she went.

Rogue was speechless at what had just happened, Dr Grey was definitely acting weird-scary weird...Had nobody else noticed? Or maybe she was still recovering from her alter-ego...Rogue hoped that was the case, but deep down, a part of her that wasn't so naive and foolish new: That was NOT Dr Grey.

Breakfast wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. As soon as she collected her food, she made a bee-line for Jubilee and kitty, where they had saved a seat for her.  Surprisingly, no one bothered them, all Rogue got were a few stares and more so frequent whispers, involving the words "cure", "Professor" and "stay"; and she knew, instantly, that this was the work of Logan. In-fact, that reminded her that she needed to talk to the Professor about her position.

And be it a matter of coincidence or if he was listening in on her thoughts, professor Xavier's voice resounded in her mind, 'Rogue, would you please accompany me in my office this afternoon, we have much to discuss.'  She looked across the canteen to the Teacher's table and nodded in agreement, nerved twisting at her gut again. 'Do not worry my dear.' He assured, and rogue could feel the smile in his voice.

"Thank you," She whispered aloud.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Classes went by rather quickly and Rogue soon found herself at the Professor's door.
"Come in Rogue," And she entered, looking around the room to see Jean, Storm and

Logan standing in different positions of the room, all facing her, "Please, take a seat," He gestured, "I'm sure you know why your here and you'd prefer to skip over the idle chit-chat, so I will begin: Rogue, Would you like to stay at this school?"

She nodded and could see the weather witch tense, "and stay on the team...I never used my mutation before, so I won't be handicapped without it now."

Xavier linked his hands, his wrinkles becoming more defined as he contemplated her reply, "though that is not necessarily true...If you were to become injured, like on the mission in Alaska, if your injuries become fatal in future Logan will not be able to heal you. I'm saying this because that was the agreement that Logan and I had,"

Immediately Rogue's head whipped round to Logan, whom was leaning casually  against the window as he watched her reaction. "Rogue, because you were somewhat a runaway/disowned by your parents...I had to place you under the legal protection of a guardian. Logan was the best option, familiarity wise and Dr Grey also volunteered to oversee things also..."

This shocked her, she frowned, "So, what? Logan and Dr Grey are my parents now?" Logan choked at the assumption.

"No, I thought it would be better if Logan had a more closer title as your "older brother", encase the direction of your...relationship were to evolve" At this, Rogue blushed, "I'm not blind my dear."

"That is highly inappropriate!" Storm commented.

"Their relationship is very complex Storm, and I'd prefer not to interfere."

"Professor," Jean said, reminding them of the topic at hand, "I agree that rogue should continue on missions-"

"And what happens if she gets into danger or worse, kidnapped and I'm not there to protect her. Then what!" Logan growled, vein visibly ticking in his forehead.

"But you won't let that happen, will you?" Jean replied dangerously calm, as she walked round to stand behind the back of the girls chair, resting both hands on her shoulders and Logan tensed further at the gesture, whilst Rogue squirmed in her chair. She could see his claws moving underneath his skin, they were itching to be released; and she realised that Jean was purposefully provoking him, delight glinting in her eyes.

Storm interrupted, "She is no use without her mutation, only a distraction. It was her choice." The underlying resentment in her tone obvious.

"That's enough, I shall contemplate this matter further before coming to a decision," Xavier finalised, "Rogue, I believe you have not had your lunch yet, enjoy the rest of your day."

She nodded in thanks and rose from her seat, hurrying out; but not without catching another glance at Logan, who's expression was void of any emotion as his eyes followed her out. And then she knew, he also noticed the change (or lack of) in Dr Grey's recent behaviour.

And Logan didn't Like it.

Chapter 4 Who's Reflection by loveliex
Author's Notes:

Sorry this chapter took so long! In the middle of moving so it's kinda stressful at the moment...Thank you for the reviews and I hope this chapter answers a few of your questions-ish?....:)

Everyone but Jean left the Professor’s office. Logan being the last to leave took his time, lingering eye contact with the redhead, only to turn away when she blew him a kiss.

Jean Slammed the door shut behind him using her telekinesis and turned back to Xavier whom’s demeanor switched almost instantly, “What are your intentions towards rogue?”

 

“Nothing Professor.” She drawled as she settled herself into the chair Rogue had sat in only moments ago. “What would make you say that.”

 

“When both Wolverine and the Rogue arrived you were more...weary? Could it be-”

 

“Oh enough with the pretentious pleasantries,” Jean hissed, “I have changed professor. The girl now belongs to me.”

 

“Jean-” Xavier sighed, only to be interrupted.

 

“That is not my name!” Her voice thundered and black veins became visible around her eyes as she demonstrated a small percentage of her power, inflicting her wrath upon the room. Jean knew what the professor was playing at, trying to coax the phoenix to abandon her act. All week he had been doing minor things to irritate her, asking personal questions; prodding the surface of her mind, giving any excuse for her to constantly be supervised. Well It worked. This little game of cat and mouse was now over. Now he knew, now he had proof. She was not Jean. Jean died at Alcatraz, this was the Phoenix...all that was left.

 

“I know.” He calmly replied. And he did know. The only reason he hadn’t disclosed what he knew to the team was because he wasn’t fully aware of her intentions and the x-men- especially scott- would not have been able to handle having to lose Jean (or the image of what she was) a third time. So he reasoned that as long as Phoenix kept on her facade, no one would be able to tell of the difference. At least not for a while. “What is it that you want?”

 

This time, Phoenix decided to answer truthfully, she could use this to her advantage.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was later that night when Rogue awoke from yet another nightmare. She bolted upright into the spotlight of the moon's light that shone through her balcony window, chest heaving as  beads of sweat rolled down her forehead, cheek, neck, and between the valley of her breasts. Almost hesitantly she crawled out of bed and walked to her desk wrapping her pearl white, chiffon dressing gown around her body, to shield her from the chilled breeze the managed to slip through the cracks of the windowpane. Sitting down she flicked open her diary where c=she kept a sort of record of her dreams, writing them as she imagined them.

 

As her pen danced across the page she read out what she wrote trying to make sense of the words her fingers were creating. So engrossed in the natures of her nightmare, she did not notice the female silhouette sitting on the banister of her balcony, staring up at the stars watched the stars. The woman too began to speak along with Rogue, perfectly in sync.

 

“It pains me to see you hurting,

Crying with exhaustion,

And crumpled on the floor like that as if broken beyond repair,

 

Every heartbeat, every breath, in time with my own,

Tears streaming down your cheeks and soaking your clothes,

 

Why are you crying?

 

My question followed by that irritating silence,

 

Look at you,

I spit with venom, tired of all the self pitying and emotions

Is this how you want to be seen? You're on your fucking knees!

 

You just stare back at me, lifeless, it makes my blood boil,

You think it's my fault you can't deal with your issues?

 

I land a punch right where your eye centres,

And you fall to the floor in millions of pieces,

Some shards bury within my shaking fist as blood drips,

Only, I can't feel it.

 

I look up again, half of you remains,

But your expression has changed, carved with rage,

We pull back our fists, and bring them to our lips-”

 

The balcony doors burst open by a sudden gust of wind, knocking Rogue off her chair and thwacked her into the wall, however she did not land in a crumpled heap like you’d expect. She remained pinned against the wall by an invisible force. And Rogue’s breath got caught in her throat as the Phoenix glided across the room towards her, graceful, like an enraged goddess, for that was what she was.

 

“I am tired of waiting, you will remember. You will remember you home, who you are. Remember our promise !” The Phoenix leaned in close until her lips brushed the shell of Rogues ear, just as Logan’s had, but closer. “Please,” The woman’s plea dripped with desperation, loneliness and sorrow “Remember me.”

 

Pain shot through Rogue’s entire body, coursing through her veins like black blood, poison, thicker than the tar on a smoker’s lungs. And when her eyes found Phoenix, as the woman’s hair turned black and irises lit to red; it was as if rogue was reliving her dream, staring at a darker version of her soul. “J-Jean” She choked as the Phoenix continued to transform into it’s true human form and the black veins arose on her face. Rogue became blinded by the excruciating pain, the last thing she heard from Phoenix was barely a whisper.

 

“Marie…”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When Logan returned to the mansion, he had expected for everyone to be asleep by then and the mansion to be a peaceful silent. His relief of screaming kids and chemical scented bodies all tucked up in bed. Just another night. Calm. Peaceful. But no. From the gate he could see Rogue’s balcony doors blown off its hinges and objects flying out of the room and crashing against the concrete ground. Logan immediately went into “panic assassin mode” as Rogue loved to call it, and leapt of the bike and used his claws to half climb, half run up the mansion wall leading directly to her bedroom. And as he landed in her bedroom he presented his claws as a warning to any enemies inside. It took him a moment to recognise the intruder due to the black hair. So you could imagine the confusion, anger and shock to see Jean standing over Rogue’s limp form as shadows danced around her, not even affected by the wind that raged around them.

 

“Jean, the fuck are you doing?” He growled, trying to keep his feet planted to the ground and edge closer to Rogue.

 

The Phoenix turned towards whoever interrupted her, only to find it was the mutt. Her eyes flickered between him and the girl, he’s going to be a bit of a problem, she thought. The girl was obviously attached to the mutt, he was a threat.

 

She grasped control of his body, keeping him rooted to the spot as the flew over to him. Her hand reached out towards his face. As soon as their skin made contact she began to drain his lifeforce. Logan gasped in pain as he felt his organs tighten in resistance to the leech power. It was ten times stronger than Rogue’s, Logan’s teeth began to crack under the force he used to clamp his jaw shut.

 

The bedroom door blasted open and Cyclops stumbled in followed by the professor and the rest of the x-men. “Jean!” Cyclops yelled, “What did you do?”

 

Phoenix’s lava red eyes stayed trained on Logan, staring right through him like a lifeless doll. “Say hello to your god for me.”

 

...And like that, she was gone...

 

End Notes:

Thank you for reading!

Chapter 5: The Beginning by loveliex
Author's Notes:
Sorry this chapter is so late...

Also WARNING, Mature/Sensitive subject in this chapter.
You have been warned!

As Rogue lay unconscious on the surgical slab, Logan paced continuously, trying to stay patient as the professor probed her mind, trying to wake her up from the slumber Jean had placed her under.

How could he have been so careless?

Never leave. 

Ever.
Never again.

He watched as the blue fur-ball, Hank checked Rogue's vitals for the third time in the past hour. To say the wolverine was pissed was an understatement, he had allowed the red haired goddess fool him once. How many more times would it take to get it through his thick skull? His only care in the world was HER! The girl lying on the slab. This was the last time he would leave.

Xavier concentrated as he pushed against the barriers of the girl before him. They were stronger the the woman and dear friend he had called "Jean", from her he had seen glimpses that had stimulated his curiosity for her intentions towards rogue. He already knew that the moment she had first encountered Wolverine and the young scrawny girl on the mansion steps, Jean had felt a...drawn sensation towards Rogue, which at the time they had all mistaken as attraction towards him. But from the disorientated images Jean-no Phoenix, had been projecting...Xavier now knew it was not the invincible warrior that had taken her interest it was the girl with the features of a china doll.

A child with bloodied hand-print on the side of her cheek.

Two words whispered.

Fiery red hair whipping across a shadowed face.
Black veins. Pain.

And Xavier now knew, the only way they were going to get answers, was from the one sleeping...

"Her psychic barriers are too strong for me to get through to her." The professor announce. Gaining Logan's attention.

"From what I have analysed, her senses are responsive to stimulation. Rogue is aware of her surroundings, just unable to respond." Hank replied as he wrote more notes on a clipboard, before adjusting his spectacles as they slipped down the bridge of his nose. "Logan, try communicating with her, it may be her emotional distress that is preventing."

Logan nodded in agreement and pulled up a stall next to where she lay. "Kid, come on. We need your help to find out what's going on, and find Phoenix before she does any more damage. You have to let Wheels in-"

He was interrupted by Kitty phasing through the elevator doors, "Rogue! Wait don't!"

The professor stopped probing Rogue's mind for a second time, and the three men turned to look at the young girl who had interrupted them.

"Shadow-cat, I see you have returned, I'm guessing the others have returned with you? Were you able to find her?"

Kitty took a moment to catch her breath. "No, we couldn't. But we found Magneto-I mean-His powers are back!" Everyone froze. Silence. The only sound was the Elevator doors opening and Storm stepping through. Logan growled.

"Couldn't find Jean," The weather witch repeated the already announced information, "Any progress with Rogue?"

No one answered.

"With all do respect professor, you can't go into Rogue's mind." Kitty remembered why she was here in the first place.

"And why is that my dear?" Hank question.

Kitty hesitated, "She used to have nightmares. But not-" Just as Xavier wheeled around the surgical slab, Rogues hand fell from where it lay, catching the skin on the professor's hand. Everyone disappeared and everything turned white. It took a few moments for him to grasp the situation.

"Professor?" He had entered Rogue's mind.

Expertly wheeling his chair around he found her. He found her standing in the white dressed in white. "Rogue, my dear. You have us all very worried, are you alright?"

Her eyes softened and gentle smile graced her face, "I am alright professor, just a little tired."

He nodded and looked around at the empty white, "Where are we in your mind?"

"Jean likes to call this purgatory, after the dimension balanced between the living and the afterlife." She laughed, "I call this the white. Everything here is empty. Nothing. Silence."

"Jean? Rogue, do you mean...Did Jean ever enter your head?"

A confused look came over her face "I'm not sure..."

"Rogue, what is going on? Do you know where the Phoenix is? We have to find her before she-"

"She won't kill good. If you're here, It means my powers are back." she turned to him, "Professor, I need to open the connection, too many memories."

Rogue's explanation was too cryptic and Xavier was running out of time, "Remember what Rogue. What is going on?"

She calmed, voice monotone, eyes like glass. "The beginning. How all things begin, how continuity is broken. Something changes."

He grit his teeth as a nauseous sensation came over him, her mind was too strong, too much...He had to open the connection.

They were in a room. A little girl's bedroom. Spectators.

A little girl stood before them, fear rolling off her in waves as a shadow grew bigger and bigger until it loomed over her. "The pattern" Rogue said, as she and the professor watched the child version of rogue quake as the body of a man without a face, stood over her. He slowly began to undo his belt, letting it drop to the ground. Next to come off was his shirt, and the girl began to cry and whimper. A beg, a cry for her mother.

"Rogue, what is this?" The professor began to feel uneasy, silently praying that the event about to unfold was not in the context his rational mind had conjured.

"Just watch." Rogue murmured, mild fascination laced in her voice. And he did. He watched in pain as the man grabbed the little girl. This was the deed, the so-called pattern? Bile rouse in Xavier's throat as he continued to watch.

Two minutes had passed, the child still screamed as she was penetrated in the most brutal and sickening way. Three minutes, the child was still screaming and blood ran down her legs. Four minutes, He could not take any more, "Rouge, stop. I cannot watch this!"

It was her mind they were in, she kept him still. Then everything began to slow, fire came and a black filled the room. The man was on the floor, head on the other side of the room. 


Decapitated. 


Xavier watched as the man's head rolled to a stop in front of his feet, his features coming into view and eyes rolling to the back of his head. Blood was everywhere. Xavier's eyes trailed back to the little girl, only to find, what stood in the dead man's place was a woman. He instantly recognised the silky red hair. "Jean?" But this wasn't Jean, this was Phoenix.

"The interruption."

He watched as the Phoenix, bent down to the little girl, soaked in blood. and placed a hand on her cheek. "I gave you life. I take life. You are...Anne Marie."

Everything went black. They were now outside the mansion, Logan and Rogue now walking up the steps. black again. In Logan's truck, his eyes switching between her and the road. Black again.


"What is your name?"


"...I don't have one."


"Then I'll name you Phoenix. Like a dragon!" The little voice giggled.


Stray tears fell from Kitty's eyes as they all waited for the professor to leave Rogue's mind. She knew what he would find there and anxiety and fear built for her, Marie. She had seen the Pictures Rogue would subconsciously sketch in her free time. She hadn't wanted anyone to know, and kitty vowed she wouldn't tell. But now...Rogue was Marie and only Marie. She knew it wouldn't have worked between Marie and Bobby.

 

She had seen.    

End Notes:
DUN DUN DAAA
I have a plan, but this chapter was reeeaaaalllyyy difficult to write since it pulls the plot together...
PLEASE tell me what you think!
Chapter 6: What to know by loveliex
Author's Notes:
Thank you everyone for reading! Your comments have been really helpful! (and sorry if I haven't yet replied, reaalllyy bad at that lol). This chapter's more of a filler to kind of explain... Please enjoy! :)

She felt lonely now that the professor had left. He said he had to return to the real world...That this wasn’t the real world. He called this purgatory, just like Phoenix had named it. What was purgatory again?

‘The dimension that lies parallel to the living and the condemned.

The gate-way’ It was her mind, her purgatory. Did that mean she was purgatory?

Unlike before, her head was empty, clean. Marie had spent an infinite amount of time sweeping her mind, removing anyone and everyone’s lingering essence. First to go was the boy, the one she had kissed, with his dirty blonde hair and charming smile. It had been a shock when his breath filled her lungs, but was not returned back to him. Like a kiss of death.
Second was a man, the man that had given the girl her first ride at the beginning of her travels. And followed all the other men that had tried to take from her more than she was willing to give. Like rats, they were vermin. Twisted humans who would soon be condemned, just as they were to live on this earth.

Next was a child, an accident she had made in a park; the child had fallen from a swing and she thought it was ok, to help, to soothe her. To get up from the worn bench and rub the child shoulder, as she searched for his mother. But the child did not understand danger and had grabbed her cheek. Marie had cried for that one, cried like a child.

Then was Magneto, an intelligent and ambitious man, pillard on the foundation of pain and rage and sacrifice, for the greater good. He had been almost impossible for her to cleanse...so much hate, too much rage. She had managed.

 After, she broke the dam and in a flood, she wiped all the people she had fought against and along side with. It was like a sea, had she killed them her ledger would have been dripping red.

Last was him. Wolverine. Logan. Half animal, half man. He had been the most cooperative. His human was scarred but his animal...serenity was the gift he had given her. He was infact the one that had helped her to strengthen her walls and build the pillars. Whether he knew it or not, he was a one man army, condemned to live, protect, fight and lose...Lose to death and lose to love. She had stood toe to paw as he faded. No matter how many times he touched her, she knew…

He would never pass through Purgatory.





Logan hadn’t left Rogue’s side, she had been comatose for five days. And in those five days, she hadn’t responded, not a single twitch of muscle, not a single flicker beneath her lashes. If Logan hadn’t been able to hear the rhythm of her heart beat or the blood being pumped through her body and the unnatural growth of the silky black hair on her head; he would have thought she was dead.

Slowly he had been losing his mind. When the professor had woken from his connection with Rogue, he’d said nothing, just wheeled out of the room with that kid-Kitty-trailing after him. Ororo had already left, to substitute one of the professor’s classes. And Ice-brat had paced, muttering about the Phoenix. What happened? What had the professor found?

 From then, Xavier had refused for any of the x-men to look for Jean. Ororo had argued, saying that the word could be at risk and blah. But the weather-which had not seen what he had. If they aggravated the goddess in any way, she may just wipe the entire earth. Not a city, the earth. They had already lost Scott. Everyone had almost died on Alcatraz and now they were back to square one. Deep down, Xavier wished they had killed her at Alcatraz, when they had the chance, but his righteous attitude had prevented him from entertaining the idea. He knew he would come to regret it.

But not all hope was lost. Somewhere in Rogue- no, Marie’s mind, he had found a glimmer a sign. A clue to what connected Jean to Marie. They had met before, whether Jean had been aware or not Xavier did not know. But the Phoenix new, and Marie was remembering. Xavier knew that that, and that reason alone, was why she hadn’t done anything yet. The Phoenix was waiting.


 Kitty walked down the hallway as she exited class. Since the last time, her nerves had calmed. Surprising as it was, once she had gone back to her classes and routine of working until three in the morning, she had forgotten and worried less about her comatose friend. But during that time, she’d had a constant nagging feeling in the back of her mind. The sensation became more and more prominent with each hour and the days rolled by like years.

Of her own accord she’d began searching through Rogue’s belongings as to clue of the girls fractured memories. It had driven her crazy. First she had slowly built to become sleep deprived over the guilt of “stealing” her best-friend’s boyfriend and now, yet again, she lacked sleep for the same woman. If Kitty had learned anything, she definitely learned her friend was like a magnet. Attracting anyone that crosses her path to become entangled in this hectic life.
It’s not everyday you find your friend to have a dark past and turn out to be the goddess of death and what have you, with a super villain (that was originally the good guy) after them. This was like something out of a freaking comic book! Kitty looked out the window from where she sat, occasionally dipping in and out of the conversations of passers by. The gossip still hadn’t died.

Everyone was talking about the whole Jean/Logan/Rogue fiasco. Kitty chuckled at the latest story these kids had managed to conspire. They’d said Logan was in love with both but chose Rogue over Jean and that Jean had lost it. She sighed, if only things were that simple, “But let ‘em believe it. No need for more chaos.” She muttered, unaware of the professor wheeling to a stop beside her.

“You’re quite right, my dear.”

She spun round in surprise, “Professor!”

“I’m sorry to have startled you.”

Kitty smiled back politely, “It’s ok. How’s Rogue?”

 “It seems she is fine, just...recovering from a great ordeal.” He replied, careful of what he disclosed.

“You mean the memories.” Her question was more of a statement, and her voice lowered considerably.

 The professor frown in something almost akin to shock, “May I ask how you know about that?”

Kitty hesitated, but then after a second thought shrugged, like keeping this a secret would do any good now, “She used to have nightmares, Talked in her sleep a lot too. They were never big-big, and whenever she woke up she couldn’t remember. So I thought nothing of it.” Kitty’s breathing hitched as tears welled in her eyes. Xavier handed her his handkerchief and nodded for her to continue, “But then she started drawing. The pictures looked like abstracts at first, like blobs, but when I looked hard-like really hard-I could see shadows and- I asked Jubilee, since you know- and she told me what she thought and to ask Jean. I kinda went through her records... There was also that time that bobby tried to touch her hand and hug her but she freaked! I didn’t want her to get hurt. She’s already afraid of her skin...I didn’t want to tell her.” Kitty looked down at the now tear-soaked hanky, “Professor what actually happened?” she asked, the broken teenager needed the rest of the story.

“Shadowcat, I believe you should ask her yourself. She will be awake soon. But as to this situation with the Phoenix and considering you are a member of this team, I will tell you. The phoenix is waiting for Rogue to wake up. Stay on guard.” Xavier advised as he wheeled away. He had business to take care of.

Kitty’s eye’s widened at the news as scrambled from her position to go find Jubilee. Rogue was awake!

Chapter 7: Pandora's Box by loveliex
Author's Notes:
Sorry this is sooooo late. Have had a tonne of coursework!
Please enjoy and tell me what you think, I know the plot is quite slow, but the next chapter is gonna be big!

The first sense to return to her was touch. Her nerves were on fire, pins and needles running through her fingertips and toes and sharp flashes of pain shooting up her spine. Her body automatically to a large breath, inflating her lungs and arching her back.

Tension.

Next was sight.

Her eyes fluttered open and white overhead lights blinded her, and she blinked continuously to adjust. Fortunately a blurry figure shadowed her vision, slowly coming into focus the more she blinked and concentrated, until she was able to see a thin set of lips surrounded by brown fuzzy mutton chops moving in front of her.

What? What are you trying to say?
Can't hear you.

Marie found it difficult to turn her head, too stiff. It was as if she was being resurrected from death. Her fingers twitched. She stared into the man’s eyes, they looked familiar.
What was he saying?

“Can. You. Move?”

Before she could comprehend she felt all tension in her abdomen and felt herself lifting, back arching, arching, arching.

Until she was sitting. God she was tired.

“Marie?” Logan's voice flooded her ears. He had her attention now.

Cold.

She felt cold. Again, always so cold. “Logan, I’m Cold.”

Within seconds she felt his muscular arms wrap around her tiny frame and she drew in his warmth like a moth to a flame. But like always, the wolverine had forgotten to cover his skin from the deadly girl. There was no warning before he felt himself enter her. And everyone, kitty, hank and bobby watched in horror.

“Where’s the professor!”

For Logan, it was agony. Pure pain coursing through him. His arms were already locked around her, he couldn't let go even if he wanted to. But then something changed.

In the void that lingered between pain and pleasure there was a small spark. A light in the dark.
A thought.

A thought that was not his.

‘Logan’

‘Logan’

Through the clenching of his teeth and the trembling of his body he managed to utter, “Ma...rie?”

Hank’s voice cut through the panic, “Magnificent! She sees to be controlling the flow of energy”

‘Deep breath Logan.’

He breathed deep. Then as if Marie’s mutation began working in reverse, her entire persona hit him like a dam had been broken. His psych was invaded. Every inch of him filled up. Tingles shot through his body, soothing his pain to a dull ache. And Jesus he could feel her, every inch of her.

“Logan, do you love me?”

The abrupt question shocked him and although she was in his head he couldn't understand her reasoning. “I-um...I”

“Rouge-correction-Marie welcome back my dear, how are you feeling?” Logan’s arms Were suddenly released from their position and he stepped back, eyes never leaving the girl’s face.

“My vitals are fine professor, I am in good health.”

Xavier smiled, “That was not my question.”

Marie blinked and a hint of emotion flickered onto her face as fast as it disappeared, “I am...better.”

“Good. I suggest you get some rest, and take some time to adjust to your new abilities. You may require a friend for this.”
She cocked her head “Friend?” Logan watched her watch the professor as an unspoken understanding passed between the two, “A friend would be nice.” She mumbled as her eyes swept over the people in the room.

“Kitty,” the brunette girl jumped at the sound of the professor's voice, “would you mind accompanying Marie for the time being?”

Her heart skipped at the request, “Y-Yes of course!” Kitty dashed past Bobby, barely noticing his expression, to the girl sitting on the slab. R-Marie looked...beautiful, intimidating. Her long black hair flowed until it tumbled onto the shiny surface of the slab and her eyes almost glowed.

She had changed...significantly. No emotion splayed on her face. It took all the effort marie had to stand up, even with kitty’s support she stumbled around like a newborn foal, and Logan growled when she’d refused his help.

They were now working up the stairs as kitty talked endlessly about random topics. Marie was fascinated that the girl had yet to take a breath. You’d think that her endless talk would irritate Marie, but she had adjusted, even engaged in conversation; and although subtle she was in kitty’s mind, learning the girl anew, and realised there was much she had missed before.She had missed kitty’s hidden insecurities, her jealousy, fear, love… She understood.

They finally got to the top. “The professor changed you to a different room, since-you know- the last one got destroyed.” Kitty explained, as Marie assessed the room. Smaller windows than the last one, white walls, white door, white floor; double bed with blue covers...So much like purgatory.

What was the professor's intention?

She drowned out Kitty’s babbling for a moment and focused on the sensation of her bare feet touching the smooth surface of the wooden floor boards. Every other sense faded away, then she opened the connection, letting all sensation flood in at once. What she found was nothing, nothing like she could have even imagined.

What’s happening to me!

“-And the wardrobe’s over there, for some reason everything is like super white, the bathroom too- Everything has been pretty calm so I don't think you need to worry about any-” She spun round to Marie, only the see her frozen and staring right through her, shocked, eyes wide in terror, “Marie?”

End Notes:
Thank you for reading :)
Chapter 8: Scheme in Motion by loveliex
Author's Notes:
Guys...I know I said big chapter...and this isnt very long buuuutttt the plot is actually developing now soooo Enjoy!

And thank you for your reviews and support: Killing_time
Iamthemagicmaker
Goodkarmaplease
Jahunta4974
Jolie

Nothing had happened since the last shift change, which had been two days, 7 hours and 20 minutes ago- oh yah, he was counting.

Of course, nothing would happen, he was standing guard of a plastic door in a plastic prison that lead to one of the most dangerous mutants in the world. Officer Morello had taken this job hoping for a little change to his humdrum life as a bored security guard. Instead he had been given a plastic stick to guard a withered old man, bitter with hate to the human race, with not so much as one family member to visit him. Nothing ever happened around here.

Morello fought a yawn, his fifth infact, but like all the others it lazily slipped passed his lips and he raised a heavy hand to cover it.

Suddenly the elevator doors hissed open, alerting him to attention. A woman stepped into the plastic white hallway, face impassive.

Morello's jaw dropped at the sight of her. God she was beautiful...red flowing locks framed her mature face, slender but curvy figure that was wrapped in a pencil suit, and from beneath it- legs that ran for miles until they ended at her six inch stilettos. Her hips swayed in a hypnotic motion as she walked towards him-well the door.

"I'm sorry miss, but no one is allowed passed this point without notice and an escort from Level B6..."

Her sharp eyes landed on him, staring him down and he became lost in his black orbs. A shiver of fear wracked down his spine. A cold smile graced the woman's face, "I have already spoken with your lieutenant officer Morello, and you are my escort. Of course if there are any issues i could simply-"

"No! That's fine!" he turned to scan his card and the doors hissed open.

"If you'd be so kind as to keep guard officer, thank you" She said as he nodded.

And she strolled through onto the transparent platform showing a one way path and a fifty foot drop.

Click. Click. Click. Click. Her heels echoed as she walked along. One would think her stilettoes would indeed break the plastic path, and any but her would immediately fall through.

First she saw his muscled torso hanging upside down from the plastic container and watched as his surprisingly well toned abdomen tensed with every sit up. She rapped her knuckle on the plastic container as she entered, even though he could already sense the iron in her blood.

Subtle shock was evident on Magneto's face as he watch one of the most threatening beings on the planet approach him whilst he remained upside down...a being that should have been dead.

"You were the last person i'd have ever expected to see, perhaps charles...or Mystic"

She sat in the plastic chair opposite, and cocked her head, black abyss for eyes observing him.

"To remain strong with my abilities, I must be stronger physically to handle the strain." He answered her unasked question, "You only ever saw me in my armour."

"Last time you tried to save your race, you failed." Magneto scowled at her words, almost. None the less he pulled his uniformed shirt back on and also sat. She continued, "as your abilities have returned, rapidly. I have a proposition for you."

"And what could possibly interest me?"

This time, a real smiled curled her lips, "I can guarantee your success. A better world for all mutants. Peace...for one price." He gestured for her to continue. "You protect my treasure. It's worth is three of these worlds combined."

Magneto frowned, "Greater than the entire homosapien race?" he leaned forwards, resting his elbows on his knees.

She reciprocated his gesture and leaned in close as if she were disclosing a secret in a room filled with people, "Are you familiar with the story of pandora's box? It's original name was..."

 

------------------------------

 

Marie circled the professor like a hawk, and he, in turn calmly watched her. She wasn't angry, she was upset, scared. The moment Marie had opened the connection in that room she had felt it...everything. From the structure of the entire mansion, the outer grounds, to everything that lived and breathed in the house. It was overwhelming. And when she had tried to close it, she found herself unable, connected. Everything that happened, was happening or was about to happen- she could feel it. Of course she couldn't hear their thoughts, but she could feel their life force, their emotions. And the professor was currently trying to get Marie to control her own emotions. The house had already shaken, twice.

"Marie you must calm yourself, I understand you are afraid, that is why i created this room, it limits your abilities to only connect with the school grounds. Anymore and it may have driven you insane." Xavier mumbled the last part.

"You're worried," Marie let a small laugh, but continued to pace, "How did you know this would happen?"

"My dear, when you connected with me I was able to catch a glimpse of the extent of your powers. Fortunately you are no longer ‘poisonous' as you like to put it, however now you connect with everything you touch with your bare skin of course. Until we can help you gain the capacity to completely control it and not become overwhelmed, it would be wise for you to stay on school grounds. Preferably in this room..."

"W-what if i go into the garden?"

"I'll go with you," Kitty interjected, "if it's too much I can just phase you back inside." She finished with an encouraging smile.

"Do not worry Marie, in near future you will be able to connect and disconnect as you please." The professor added to the silence, before wheeling out of the room.

Marie turned to Kitty, red rimmed eyes and entire body shaking with strain and tension. The young brunette grabbed Marie's hand, "How about a bath? We can warm you up, get you clean and you can sort through everything in your head, before the big bad wolf comes knocking."

She managed a shaky smile, "He won't. He's in the danger room."

 

----------------------------

 

Phoenix walked back across the path from the plastic prison, magnetos footsteps marching in time with her own. Using her telekinesis, the doors swished open a second time, and the two walked through without even acknowledging the now sleeping Morello.

She smirk, at least he won't be so bored when he wakes up.

As they made it to the upper levels, magneto wasn't surprised to see the massacre that occurred. Magneto was impressed, the woman did not hold back...Blood stained the walls and ceiling, and flooded the floor; limbs lay strewn across the floor, organs raw. It was a Bloodbath.

And Magneto wondered how far was the Phoenix willing to go? None the less, he had made a deal with the devil and Magneto intended to follow through.

 

What is your name? - A child's voice

I don't have one...what is a name?

I don't know. But people have them and mommy gave me one...
Then I will name you Phoenix!

You are...Marie...

Let's be bestfwiends!

 

End Notes:
Thank you for reading! :)
Chapter 9 Give Nothing Back by loveliex
Author's Notes:
OKAY So the site is supposed to be fixed..here goes...
Marie had found that during the time she had spent remembering the past, she had forgotten things. Small things. Like, the word fork or hand or door...she had forgotten how she liked her coffee or that she hated marmite, even what it felt like to be hungry. One morning she had asked kitty for a marmite sandwich after seeing a commercial for it on the television. Spat it right back out, and kitty had laughed her ass off, 'till she was in tears, “Don’t worry, just think of it as experimenting! We’ll find what you like...and don't like.” Then broke into another fit of laughter.
But none of that was significant, she was still trying to adjust to feeling the entire skeletal structure of the school. Focus and tune out the vibrations of the stampede of feet, doors slamming, even the toilets flushing!

Marie was so glad kitty was here, even if she didn’t voice it aloud, the girl had been a- surprisingly- amazing friend. Always patient, despite the dark emotions that dwelled deep in her insecure teenage conscience- whether Kitty realised it or not. Whenever Marie brushed against her accidentally, she'd pic up on the girl's thoughts...

Of Course, Kitty still had classes and Marie would spend that time in her room, afraid to step out of the safeguard the professor had created, or she’d be with Xavier himself, learning herself all over again. It was so frustrating! And Marie had not looked in the mirror. Not once. Afraid of the change she’d see...

Logan knew, he could smell her anxiety from across the hall, hear the mirror break, but would sneak in in the middle of the night when he knew she was awake, but both would pretend she wasn’t, and he’d replace it. Always.

Besides that, he spent his time denying his mistake and wallowing in self-pity for his loss, rage and desires...couldn’t let go of his love for jean...despite everything, but now couldn’t hold on to his neutral image of Marie. He was the one to awaken the Phoenix. Did he love her? He would have died for her. He still had a forgotten past, some real anger issues and was stuck in a “Love triangle”. How was he supposed to be her- the X-mens- salvation if he couldn’t get it together? And now he was itching to leave, take off on one-eye’s bike but...but...


Well, Marie bounced from the bed, boredom was settling, she had spent enough time in purgatory. Slipping her petite feet into a pair of ballet flats, she stepped out of the white room and walked down the hallway and stairs with soundless footsteps. After a couple of sessions with Xavier, they were happy to realise that her new found abilities were limited to direct skin contact, of course that gave her an even stronger compulsion to mummify herself in clothing than before, but, at least now her skin was no longer deadly without her control.  

As the garden doors were pulled open, the breeze rushed to greet her and a smile spread across her face. Marie was no longer well know associated with death. She could not kill if she didn’t want to...and honestly, were the people that she had touched in the past truly dead? Sure they no longer had bodies, but their energy had gone to her. There she held it, their essence. For almost two years she had held the “victims” souls inside of her, thinking she had committed “sin”. She hadn’t killed them. Marie just didn’t know how to release them.
But now, as the thin straps of her dress almost slid off her shoulders and she felt the breeze caress every part of her body; her bare arms, chest, back and through the silk dress...Marie understood.

That’s when curiosity struck.

What would it feel like now...to touch nature? But before she could even entertain the idea, a stampede of children rushed from their classrooms and swarmed the hallways, rushing around. Marie tilted her head. She had forgotten what it was like to be a teenager, a child...she did once though, she knew that, the fleeting feeling that always evaded her. No more dreams about teenage crushes, or worry about fashion or trends, or even Logan's nightmares. No. These were all hers now. Her memories of that night. The night her father penetrated her. It wasn’t the first, he had done so the many nights before- and that was easy to forget at times. What she never could, or would forget was as his head was ripped off, right in front of her. She dreamed the sensation of warm flecks of blood splattering across her flesh.

A hand on her face and words spoken.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Weeks.

It had taken two weeks for Magneto to hunt down the rats that had injected and camouflaged themselves into society. The ones that poisoned the minds of the human race. The day he had made the deal and Phoenix had released him from imprisonment, she had given him a list of all the 'bad' people in the world, and their locations. Before he had blindly killed civilians and anyone that merely got in his way. Both his and Charles ways for peace had failed, so now he would improve his method. Instead he would hit home and pluck the bad ones, leaving no collateral damage. And this time, he would do it himself.

It had taken two weeks to set the plan into motion, and prepare for the war he knew was coming. The only difference now, was that he was fighting for something different, no longer filled with rage and pain. No longer needed an army. When Phoenix had told him about purgatory, their world’s very own Pandora’s box, he had been shaken with curiosity for the unknown and anticipation for what was to come.

Most of all he felt regret. When he had taken that girl to power his machine those years ago he had no idea of what could have been lost, no idea of the gift she held. He'd ignored his gut instinct. Somehow, someway, from the moment he'd laid eyes on her he'd felt a connection, something unfamiliar to him...

Sweat rolled down the sides of Magnetos temple and dripped from his chin only to hit the ground. He grit his teeth to endure the strain on his arms as he held himself in a perfect handstand, performing push ups, upside down...repeatedly. Phoenix could sense every drop of sweat that hit the ground from the next room over. She found it amusing, yet surprising how much the- not so old man- worked out each day. He wasn’t lying when he said he worked to keep his body in tune with his mutation. This aspect of him kind of reminded her of wolverine...or maybe it was the Jean in her subconscious that brought forth that thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marie looked up at the sunny, blue sky and sighed, “I should probably tell them.”

“Tell what?” Storm walked up from the garden doors to where Marie stood under a massive oak tree, its greatness towering over them. Marie didn’t bother turn to the weather witch, just smiled up at the tree in answer. As soon as she had slipped of her flats, sensation had overloaded her. It wasn’t as scary as last time, and as she used what had been practiced, from across the acres of grass she had felt the pain of a living being. In the roots. The great oak tree’s branch was broken and hanging. Perhaps one of the many children were a little to rough. It was then she had answered in kind, and removed the battered extension, placing it in the sorrow. There no more pain.

Taking no heed of Marie’s bare state she bumped her own bare shoulder against Marie’s as greeting. Such a brief contact she barely felt the connection open to the girl standing beside her, merely a ripple in her energy, as Marie had tapped into it. The notion was small but significant in a way very few would be able to understand.

They stayed like that. Just staring at a tree in silence, until the hallways were once again empty and the children were in their next classes or off campus. Finally, she gestured Storm to follow her to Xavier's study. And Storm followed, knocking on the professor's door before entering, to find all of the adults of the X-team already assembled.

“I had a feeling you’d come to see me, something important?” Xavier welcomed her with a sincere smile, and everyone looked at her expectantly. All but Logan.

“It isn’t Phoenix you need to worry about.” Marie announced.

Everyone but Xavier turned to look at her eyes wide, “What do you mean?” Hank, or Beast (as everyone called him) was the one to speak first.

“She isn’t Jean.”

Storm turned to the Professor in distress, “That mean’s she really is dead. Professor-”

“She is still alive.” At this logan stood to attention as did everyone else. Hope fluttered at the idea that their good friend and former doctor was somehow not responsible for the chaos and destruction. Maybe the woman could be saved!

“But what of phoenix?”

“Phoenix was created by me.” An awkward silence filled the room.

“I don’t understand, the entity of the phoenix was created by you?” Beast asked.

“Or maybe I was created by Phoenix. When I was a child, my biological father repeatedly commit a crime. And my mother would let him. I understand why, she feared him. One night it activated my mutation, Phoenix was created, but in Jean’s body. I didn’t know who Jean was, I thought Phoenix was a person. She appeared and slaughtered my family at my beckon. She didn’t have a name, but she said she came from purgatory. She said she would love me and protect me. But for now, she would make us sleep and let me forget. That night I named her Phoenix.”

“Wait. I don’t understand. What is purgatory?” Beast asked again.

“I am. Purgatory is like...Pandora’s box except, I am both Pandora and the Box. Phoenix is a piece of what’s inside. Purgatory is the dead space between heaven and hell, the living and dead. When my father did what he did, he had awoken my mutation. Phoenix blocked it again, but when it awoke the second time, some of my memory was still blocked so I could only take energy. The cure undid everything. I can connect to everything and everyone. If I connect all at once the lines between the living and dead will blur…”

“There will be no definitive.” Xavier mumbled in realisation.

“Does Jean volunteering to be your guardian have anything to do with this?”

Marie nodded, avoiding eye contact with anyone in the room. She took a moment to think, if her theory was right, “At first she probably thought Logan would be able to protect me so she could play for a little, but after Alcatraz, she doesn’t desire to anymore…And even though I say this, it isn’t her soul purpose to save me, she is still her.

"In addition to this information, I also have something to say." Xavier interrupted. "The prison that has been keeping Magneto incarcerated was broken into two weeks ago and every guard and prisoner was killed. However, Magneto's body is nowhere to be found, I assume he's broken out." He raised his hand as Logan was bout to speak, "I'm only hearing about this now because they thought they had it under control, until they found the body of an anti-mutant politician with a heap of metal impaled into his body a few towns over."

Marie looked around, and attempted to crush the growing need to fidget; but it seemed now days whenever a room held her presence she was surrounded by silence and questioning eyes. Even when Marie had suffered from the condition of lethal skin did she not receive such a deafening reaction. How could silence be deafening?

In times of need Marie looked to her saviour and the item of her affections. She didn't even have to touch him to know what he was thinking, and it saddened her. With poison skin, a symbol of being the only thing on this earth that could possibly end him, she could not win him over. With growth of beauty, age and wisdom, to the point where some considered her similar to the weather goddess beside her in grace, she could not win him over. And now with the ability to practically touch without killing or causing agonising harm, guess what?

She. Could. Not. Win. Him.

Then so be it, if fate wished for them to remain apart and if he wished to follow his own. She would not stop him. How could she? Marie loved him.

Finally, she spoke, “Save Jean, but you cannot hurt Phoenix.” Marie’s tone deepened with silent threat.

“Hurt or kill?” Logan asked.

“Logan!” Storm scowled. Since when did they become killers? That had always been considered as a last resort.

All he could think right now was of Jean. God, Jean. Jean was alive!
Marie could tell by the look on Logan’s face what he was insinuating, “Phoenix is the only thing keeping her alive right now. Phoenix can’t die, but any long term damage to my phoenix and I won’t bring Jean back to you.”

This wasn't bitterness, nor revenge, she had accepted her position in Logan's life. It just meant she would not give anything back, only for herself.
End Notes:
Thank you for reading...if it appears. *fingers crossed* >.
Chapter 10 part 1: Unexpected by loveliex
Author's Notes:
Thank you all for your patience, soooo sorry this chapter was so late, I have had a lot of coursework to deal with. Anyway please enjoy and tell me what you think! :D

By the way, I hadn't made this clear: Imagine Magneto as a slightly older version of Michael Fassbender's Magneto.
Time had passed slowly, as if nothing had happened. Phoenix was nowhere to be found; Magneto had been sighted in multiple locations, however never stayed in the same place twice as to evade the x-men. Which was surprising considering his tenacious tendency to be the spotlight of every sinister crime against the humans that hated so. Everyone acted normal. Classes went on as normal. The world continued as normal.

Marie practiced daily in harnessing her ability, learning to tolerate the constant assault of the energy in living beings- be it human or not- every touch she made. Learning to become independent without gloves, and attempting to socialise with fellow students once again. She hated it, but Kitty said it was a working progress and of course they would be weary, students still fear her. Marie's only thought was ‘Yes, but you don’t.’ She smiled, “Maybe.”

With so much time that she spent in solitude, meditation became regular. Marie did not need Xavier for this. She was simply learning herself again, like tuning the strings of a guitar left idle to collect dust.

Phoenix, Marie had called to her out of fear during blood sacrifice; Wolverine, she called him to her out of pain. Kitty, was called to her out of loneliness and she had seeked the Professor Xavier for understanding. These relationships had not happened by random...neither did Bobby.

They were meant to happen. It was a course she had set from young.

Marie had come to realise, perhaps she was the villain? Well, the Antagonist at least. The X-men were the heroes, Phoenix the divine unholy creation- the monster, and Jean the ‘Damsel in distress’. It was laughable really.

Every-time she entered her psych, Marie still felt Wolverine’s essence, his calm. That’s what helped fix her. She was ok now. However she had been brought to a new troubling revelation. No matter what, she needed Wolverine.

That was why, Marie was currently standing outside the doors to the mansion. Logan, had gone for a ride to a bar in the city, to revel in his nightly rituals: drink, fuck and fight (and not in that particular order). He had departed at midnight. It was now dawn, and the sun was rising at the horizon line in the east. She was calling his soul back to her, and despite the man, she knew the Wolverine would not resist.

The adolescent- almost woman- allowed her raven locks to roll over her shoulders from the strong breeze, the cotton black dress she wore fluttering and occasionally defining her curves. In fact, her body had returned to a healthy shape- if not more voluptuous- and tanned, no longer the image of a sickly teenage girl. Also her expression was warmer than it had been, and even though she struggled to mingle she was far more approachable.

Marie was snapped out of her concentration when she felt the interruption of a much stronger soul, one that was almost overpowering. It was heading straight for the mansion! Just as she was about to move Xavier rolled up next to her, followed by Storm, Cyclops and Beast. She turned to see the mansion doors slam closed and the members of the X-men take up defensive positions.

“Wha-Who is it?” Marie stammered, trying to accommodate the overpowering life-force passing back and forth through her from the concrete under her bare feet.

“It’s Magneto!” Storm replied in anticipation. He had been bound to attack at one point, she just hadn’t expected today of all days. A few minutes ago, Storm had been casually nurturing her plants, and hummed lightly as she used her divine gift to saturate them with a slight amount of rain. It was when she elevated above the trees, ready to work her magic that she spotted him, half a mile out. On foot. “Oh no,” Were the only words that left her mouth as she sailed through the professor’s window and into his study. Of course, he knew too and placed the mansion on immediate 'lockdown', a new security system that Beast himself had designed.

Now that magneto was in proximity, Xavier attempted to read his mind and was surprised to find that this time, of all the many times he had tried in the past, Xavier had succeeded. Was the man not wearing his helmet? Apparently not.

After an elongated moment of suspense and anticipation, the gates opened wide with an unfamiliar gentleness, revealing Magneto. An awkward silence filled the air as they all studied him in confusion. It was probably the confusion of Magneto looking...well, not like Magneto.

He donned black cargo pants, that showed his legs to be almost the size of tree trunks; a black vest and a red jacket. Neither were as tight as how Logan wore his clothes, but enough to make out his shockingly muscular build. Not only that but his grey hair had grown out, still slicked back but now down to his shoulders and grown stubble at his jaw. He had slimmed out. An unavoidable circumstance considering there hadn’t been much to do besides work out, read and play chess, and the prison food was absolutely atrocious.

Marie almost smiled at Cyclops’ whisper of, “What the fuck?” But he had a point, she was also shocked at his appearance. Actually, the only person that wasn’t stunned was Xavier.

“Magneto, why are you here? The last time we encountered one another, you made your position quite clear.”

Magneto took a moment to study each of them, until his eyes finally landed on his goal. Marie blinked as his pale eyes pierced hers. No one noticed as he pushed out a wave of his life force and her breathing hitched as she stumbled from the hit, but it wasn’t enough to hurt her.
“I did. I have been enlightened,” He held Marie’s gaze as his next words were directed to her, “Last time, I tried to kill you.” He wasn’t here to kill her, “This time I’m here to protect you,” He was here to save her, “from whatever spider’s plight you face. I have learned you.” She could see the smile in his eyes.
End Notes:
Thank you for reading!
Chapter 10 Part 2: Unyielding Knight by loveliex
Author's Notes:
Quick update! Thank you for your wonderful reviews :)
I know you may be tired and wish for a fast approach to the solution of a new equilibrium... all in good time friends!
Don't worry only a handful of chapters left. Enjoy :D

So.

 

 

Magneto had decided to join the good guys, huh? The infamous villain of events prior tame?

 

Of course not.

 

Cyclops ripped off his protective shades and blasted his destructive rays at Magneto’s smirking face, screaming his rage as a way to cope with the burning pain in his eyes (another unfortunate price to pay for his so called “gift”). Everyone but Marie shielded their eyes as Cyclops extended his assault and she watched wide eyed as the blinding light enveloped its target. Everything surrounding where Magneto had been was being desecrated. Unfortunately, that also meant the main gate had disintegrated also. It was weird. she could feel no pain from Magneto, only the thrum of tightly coiled energy and an itch in her eyebrow akin to his irritation. Seeing this situation as pointless, Marie used her newfound control to seek out another link; feeling her own energy sink into the earth and travel in a jagged direction until she had found what she was looking for; slowly, she recalled the horrifying sensation that she would never forget. Pulling, a little more, higher doses, stronger connection. Had they opened their eyes in defiance of the blinding light, they would have spotted Marie’s own flash red momentarily and the intensity of the rays lessen. However no one did, not until the light ended and an unnerving silence befell them. There Magneto stood, unscathed, drinking from what seemed to be an antique flask with customised tailoring. So Magneto-like it was comforting.

 

Storm whipped around to see Scott out cold on the ground, blood trickling from his nose. She glared at Magneto in accusation and began to call on her powers. At this point both Marie and Magneto knew what was coming and the look that passed between them was...it was…

Well, they knew what it was and she nodded, obeying she silently turned and retreated back inside the mansion, leaving the door slightly ajar as invitation, if the man survived. He felt compelled to watch her leave. The man that took amused pride in being a sociopath would never admit this but, when he had laid eyes on her cotton clad form- in comparison the last time they had met, all he could think was how she had bloomed like a rose. Before she had been good for nothing but sacrifice and perhaps espionage. But now she was devine. Her energy thrummed within him from the moment she had instigated the connection. And he tried to ignore the sliver of relief he felt that she was now out of the way of any potential harm this confrontation may result in. Yes, he would ignore this unfamiliar feeling.

 

Naturally Xavier had been reading both their minds- careful not to interfere- for enlightenment of the situation. Magneto had failed to mention it wasn’t he who had “knocked” Cyclops out, but nevertheless cracked his neck in preparation for the upcoming task. Xavier now understood his line of thinking, and permitted his remaining team members to do as they wish. They needed to take out their frustrations and resentment now, else there would be issues. As the fight started he sent out a mental broadcast to all the participants of this unconventional brawl, ‘Keep it quiet and damage to a minimum.’ glancing at what used to be a very expensive and grand entrance, before calmly wheeling himself in the direction Marie had just gone.

 

‘My dear, please go to my study, whilst we wait for our guest.’


‘Yes.’


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Logan slammed his empty glass on the bar’s wooden surface, adding scrapes and nicks to the many other damages it had accumulated over the years. He snorted, he was decades older than the fuckin’ bar. Older than fuck knows. The Absinthe had felt warm sliding down his throat and settling in his stomach, as if swallowing the sun. Whiskey wasn’t strong enough anymore, couldn’t keep up with his regeneration. But as he reveled in the sensation of hard achieved intoxication a growl rumbled through his chest, as a tingling (that he knew was nothing to do with his last few drinks) shuttled up his spine. Marie was calling to him, his beast had awoken.

 

Time to go.

 

He hadn’t even had a good fight yet. Logan, the man, slowly lifted himself away from the bar and stumbled across the room to the exit. Wolverine, his primitive side howled in impatience, enforcing a repetitive chant ‘M'rie M'rie M'rie’ in time with the man’s own heartbeat. Had logan been free of this cursed animal, he would have been long gone from this forsaken city, from everything; but the animal in him now had that goddamn attachment: the girl. The fucking girl. Fumbling for his keys, logan looked up.

 

There the goddess stood. Not the girl. The goddess, wrapped in red. Jean. The keys jingled as they hit the ground. She was sat. On. His. Bike.

 

Jean.


Jean.

 

“Hello logan.”

 

Jean. The beast had shut up.

 

Her lips curved into a smile, “A gift.” She settled a card on the seat of logan’s (actually Scott’s) bike. It flittered by the force of the morning breeze, threatening to blow away, any minute and the only reassurance was her pointed finger, pressing it in place.

 

Just as he made a step towards her a car sped past, effectively breaking the enchantment and when he look back to her, she was gone.

 

Was he hallucinating? Had the Absinthe kicked in? As he got to his bike, her lingering scent made his nostrils flare and the folded note, again threatened to blow away. He grabbed at it. No. Jean was here.
Logan hesitated before opening the note. He didn’t know what he had been expecting, maybe an ‘I want you’ or a ‘I’m coming back’ or a fucking something. But no. Instead, her elegant handwriting shaped the words of an address. An apartment. A motel room to be specific. So without a second thought, he brought the bike to life and hit the gas hard.

 

By the time he had arrived the Absinthe’s effects had worn off, and had the paper not been jammed between his palm and the bike’s handle he would’ve concluded it to have been a dream. However, as he removed his helmet, the stench of blood and iron assaulted his senses. Something definitely didn’t feel right. Logan took a moment to second guess himself. Marie’s spiritual presence had left, she no longer called for him. It must not have been important. The kid could wait.

 

And since the saying, “curiosity killed the cat” didn’t really, you know, apply to him cause...he was almost indestructible. Logan allowed his curiosity to get the best of him and followed the all too familiar scent to its source. His footsteps echoed loud thumps as he walked round the side of the building and clanked as he trekked up the metal stairs to the balcony, glancing at every door he passed. Finally he got to the one where the scent was so strong it was sickening.

 

Looking down at the keyhole he noticed the lock to be broken and the door ajar. Huh, no key needed. Taking a quick look around to make sure there were no witnesses (even though the area was practically a ghost town) he used his knuckle to push the door wide open.

 

The sight was horrific. Logan immediately covered his nose and mouth. It's not that he was sensitive to the sight of gore- god knows the shit he’d done in his lifetime definitely wasn't pretty; but the scent was rank, and combine that with the sight before him? Even the toughest of men (i.e. him) would puke.

 

“What the hell!”

 

There was no body. Just pieces. Like a long strip of spine, chunks of a human femur and skull. The rest of whoever he, she or they were...smeared the walls and floor. Intestines hanging from this ceiling fan, strands of hair still connected to a scalp lying haphazardly at his feet. This was A-grade nastiness. The blood on the walls, single bed and floor was cold and beginning to dry but still warm, it was quite fresh. He could tell from where he stood, still outside. Logan wasn’t stupid enough to enter, and leave evidence of his presence in the wake of this shit-storm. Oh no. No fucking way was he getting tied to this. Pulling out his phone, he was thankful to be sober again as he took pictures, steady ones. And before he turned to go, he noticed a finger, fully intact, just a little bloody within reach. Grabbing the dirty handkerchief (he normally used to wipe grease stains from his hands when fiddling in the garage) from his back pocket, he crotched and swept the body part from the slick floor, wrapped it up tight and left.

 

It just so happened that, as Logan made his way to the bike, he took extra care to destroy all the security cameras in sight (whether they were working or not) and the power line.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Marie rocked her body and held her knees tight to her chest as she apathetically listened in on Xavier and Magneto’s exchange. They spoke with familiarity, underlying hostility and an unidentified fondness. Obviously, Magneto had defeated Beast and Storm. In fact, it was safe to say, he had handed their asses to  them.

 

The weather witch had been easy to take down, using what little remains there were of the metal gate to subdue her and effectively and suffocate her till she passed out. Beast had been slightly more difficult. Magneto had refused to use his ability whilst facing the blue, furry man in classic hand to hand combat. He’d give it to him, the gorilla was strong- stronger than Magneto would like to admit. But his strength and towering size made him slower. Although Magneto had a severely muscular build, his agility was equal to Beast’s and his speed surpassed even the former mutant Mystic. The fight had lasted a good twenty minutes. In that time, the students were slowly released from their protective rooms and continued their day, with the specific orders from the professor ‘Do not leave the building or interfere with the event occurring outside. Do not be alarmed, there is no immediate danger.’ Some peeked through the windows of the mansion to watch, others didn’t. However they all obeyed.


By the end of it, Beast (also referred to as Hank) was face down on the floor and magneto had nothing but a few cuts and bruises to show for it. He straightened his jacket and stepped over his fallen opponent, gracefully proceeding inside the luxurious mansion. There was no need for him to be directed through the building, he remembered quite well (despite the changes, such as whispering students that shunned in fear as he passed) after all, he had helped create it.

 

Magneto watched from the corner of his eye as the girl rocked back and forth whilst curled in her arm chair. She was nervous.

 

He was surprised to find, it wasn’t him that made her so. In fact, a few minutes ago, the girl had used her newfound ability to ‘connect’ with him. The sensation was faint, but he could identify it; tingles rolling up his spine and a momentary euphoria sweeping through him. Had he been any other man, Magneto would have shuddered in pleasure. But this was Magneto we’re talking about. He merely pushed back, as he had done before, but not quite as forceful. That seemed to ease her a little.

 

And Marie found it ironic. Her would-be killer being the one she was most compelled to seek comfort from. She didn’t understand why, and that scared her.

 

“Phoenix and I have come to an agreement. I am to fulfill my end. Afterall, despite my unorthodox ways, I am a man of honour.” Magneto continued in conversation with Xavier.

 

“I am well aware of that. I merely wish to know your intentions. This is a school and I will not let you endanger that.” Xavier, despite being the kind, understanding and forgiving man that he was, had many flaws, and Eric always brought out the worst in him. Their history was complex, filled with brotherly compassion, resentment, pain and regret.

 

When Eric had waltzed in, he had been all too happy to use his telepathy to strike the man with blinding pain, shoving it into the bastard’s mind. The only telltale sign Eric allowed, to show how much it affected him was a deep crease of his brow. However, Marie was quick to remedy that by lowering the intensity of the telepathic link. She was getting good at this.

It took less than a second for Xavier to realise Marie was protecting the man, and dissatisfaction settled inside of him as he glanced at her lax form. Her attention was trained on something outside, eyes glazed as if oblivious to the world around her. A similar trait he had noticed in his brief confrontation with the Phoenix. Nevertheless, he centred himself.

 

“No harm will come to your students nor yourself. I am merely here for the girl. You will not be able to ensure her safety when the time comes. I can and I will.”

 

“She will be going nowhere with you.” Xavier’s voice became, sharp and his hostility returned.

 

“So selfish as always Charles. Have you asked what she wants?” A silence hung in the air as the two men challenged one another.

 

Finally, Xavier’s voice rang through the air, “Marie?”

 

At that her eyes sharpened with focus, her finger twitched. She had read him. Magneto. Erik. Would he do as he implied? Would he protect her? Earlier this morning she had beckoned for her knight in shining armour to return, the half-man half-feral to guard her, instead, a true monster had answered her call. A monster disguised as a man, a true killer with no regard or reservation to do unimaginable unpleasantries to whomever crosses him. Despite her discomfort to her reaction towards him, Marie knew he was necessary. He would do whatever needed to be done to protect her. And if Phoenix/Jean had hand picked him herself she would not argue. She just needed one thing, one thing that she had always known Wolverine could never give her. She needed all of him, his life to entwine with hers; like the last time at the statue of liberty. And that, she knew he was willing to give. Not just to save her life, but to kill her as well. Wolverine could never do that. He would never kill her. He loved her.

 

“With you… I’ll go.” Marie whispered.

 

Magneto’s eyes flashed with a predatory gleam, “We leave tomorrow.”

End Notes:
Thank you for reading! >.
Chapter 12: Yield! Who are you fighting for? by loveliex
Author's Notes:
HEEEYYY GUYYSSS SOOOOO SORRY for the wait!!!!!!
Had writers block again and then exams and everything was just hectic :( Anyways as usual please tell me what you think and yah! :)

Strong hands, connected to thick arms wired with muscle and broad shoulders reached out until they were curled around Maries waist in a vice-like grip. Her breathing hitched as they lifted her, until she was sat on the garage door’s surface. Fingers brushed along her exposed forearm and the connection immediately opened. Proud that she hadn’t faltered and the invading sensation, Marie smiled in thanks without looking up into the ice cold eyes of Magneto. She was busy with her Rubik’s Cube.


Momentarily she studied his presence as he turned back to resume loading up the Jeep (that he had bought under a fake name ofcourse). It was a monster. Bullet-proof, tinted windows, internal padding and a whole load of horsepower. It just so happened that everything in the car- besides the windows, mirrors and lights- were metal, including the seatbelt straps. This was a fully customized make.


When Kitty had seen it her jaw dropped. She had no idea Magneto was this rich! She just thought he lived in his secret underground lairs all the time. Who was this guy! Kitty had come to say goodbye to her best friend, guilty of avoiding Marie yesterday, in fear of the evil Magneto. Now she was just plain jealous! Marie had laughed, as in, full-blown laughed at Kitty’s confession, and that’d made the embarrassed girl’s heart warm. She had done something right. But that thought made her heart then drop. Kitty had been so wrapped up in helping Rou-Marie, recover that she was now, pretty much an outsider herself, socialising had been cut short. And now- now that her best friend was leaving a wave of longing washed over her.


If only…

A few more days.

A few more movies.

If we had talked more.


Her friend was leaving. And now Kitty would be left, to what everything had been like before; gossiping friends, a basic boyfriend and X-men training.


As if sensing Kitty's unease, despite the fact they weren’t “connected” in that moment, Marie grabbed her hand, setting down the cube, “I’ll come back. We won’t be gone for long.” But paused in contemplation before adding, “Train. Hard.” A small shock travelled up kitty’s arm, as if the girl had zapped her with electricity.


“Um, I will.” Kitty promised in confusion, before also turning to watch Magneto load the rest of whatever he was packing into the car. Kitty sighed and rested her head on Marie’s shoulder, “Are you sure you can trust him?” pulling aside the cute fishtail braid the silent girl had done for her, she took it as Marie’s unique way of saying goodbye properly.


“He will make me strong.”


“Come back quick. I passed the test to become an official X-men.”


Marie’s eyes widened in surprise, “There was a test? When?”


“Yesterday, actually,” Kitty giggled, “But for some reason Beast had to fill in and he looked real beat up.” She mocked playing dum. Magneto overheard the petite girl’s comment and almost smirked. No student had missed the brawl outside. Not one. After all, how many times do you get to see your english and history teachers duke it out- two against one, and lose. It had been a sight; Beast walking in sporting a black eye and bandaged hand. Storm had suffered a couple fractured ribs, but nothing else (Magneto was a gentleman like that) and Scott was still down and counting, (though that wasn’t actually his fault).


“So where exactly are you guys going?” Kitty blurted.


Magneto’s eyebrow twitched at the question, his patience was thinning, but he would be nice for Rogue. Although his strides were languid, there was an odd demeanor about him that made kitty tense and shy away slightly. She had never realised how intimidating he could truly be, but she did now, as he towered over both girls. Slowly he raised his hand, palm up; and kitty didn’t relax until she saw Marie’s slender fingers dance across his palm. She was shocked at the tenderness in his eyes as he tightened his hold, like a winding snake, before raising her friend’s hand in the air, interlocking their fingers and stepping forward again until there was no gap between them. Kitty observed the surprisingly intimate moment, and dare she think...almost romantic. Not even Logan had held Marie like this…


Magneto wrapping his other arm around the grey eyed girl’s waist and securing her against his body. It was like they were entranced in an imaginary dance, but when the man finally moved, her body remained tight against him.


Kitty was right, it was intimate; Marie had allowed his soul to crash against her own and it was dizzying. Like being hit by crashing waves over and over again. She could feel all his emotions, his power, but he kept his thoughts and memories under tight control, not one ran through her compared to Logan; Connection with him had been slow and steady but inside him, his thoughts were open, jumbled and violating. She would miss him. Not even the feeling of soft material hitting Marie’s bare legs broke their cocoon. Xaviers presence did. Magneto had sensed his titanium wheels rolling closer. He ignored the nagging urge to play with the metal.


“I have just received a call from wolverine.” The crippled man announced, “Shadowcat my dear, would you mind leaving us?” Said girl nodded, with one last glance at Marie she left the garage.


Beast was quick to fill Kitty’s place as he entered the room, “Am I interrupting?”


“No, I was just about to inform them.”


“Ah.” Beast replied and gestured for Xavier to continue.


“Phoenix visited him yesterday morning,” Marie’s expression dropped, she probably did more than ‘pay a visit’, “And disclosed to him a location in which was revealed to be a crime scene, specifically a motel room where three politicians, very active members of an anti-mutant group were brutally murdered. The police are investigating this as a Major Crime.”


“I looked into the organisation’s activity and it turns out they had been planning an attack on mutants using a newly developed weapon called raidex. It had passed the government’s testing phase.” Best added.


His eyes became cold and calculating, “Eric, did you have anything to do with this.”


Eric turned to his old friend/enemy now ally, “Not this time, friend. It’s Phoenix’s sign, her plan is in motion.” His words were emphasised by the click Marie’s seatbelt made as he ‘clipped’ it in, before closing the passenger side door and walking round.


Beast glanced at Marie’s slight form that was faintly outlined through the tinted windows, “May I enquire as to where you're planning to go with the girl?” he asked skeptically. His brows furrowed as he imagined Logan’s reaction when he returns to find Marie gone.


“Somewhere dry.” Magneto mused, “I suggest you keep your students inside the mansion and activate the reinforcements I created. It will not surprise me if you are attacked in retaliation.” He slid into the driver's seat and turned the key in the ignition. The engine roared to life. A quick glance at the pair through his open window. “Also, put that regenerative mutt of yours to good use.” With those as his parting words he hit the accelerator with a barely tamed ferocity. The car speed away with starlight speed.


----------------------------





Beast was right. Logan had been furious. Almost destroyed the school in his blood rage. As soon as Xavier had connected “Marie”, “Magneto” and “Gone” into a singular sentence, Wolverine’s adamantium claws had ripped through the skin that stretched over his knuckles.


Same mistake. A small voice that echoed in his mind jested.


Xavier sighed in exasperation. “Wolverine, she will be back. We need you here.”


Logan was torn. First he had been fighting for the hell of it, then for the girl, until he met Jeanie, but when Jeanie died he renewed his promise to the girl- and now...what he should have asked himself a long time ago:


Who the fuck was he fighting for?

End Notes:
Thank you for reading!
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=4113